Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
WinterRat1
World OOC Thread.

This is the OOC thread for the Living in the Shadows Campaign. This first post will consistently be edited to include all current OOC threads for the sub-games. Think of it as a table of contents. All remaining posts after the first should be considered to be World OOC posts.

Additionally, here are the links for the IC thread, both in World IC and Shadowland IC, as well as the Guidelines thread, which has the character creation requirements, as well as various GM rulings on numerous topics.

General LITS Information

Living in the Shadows: Guidelines
Living in the Shadows: Recruitment 1 (closed; see LITS: Recruitment 2)
Living in the Shadows: Recruitment 2
Living in the Shadows: Special Projects

Main LITS Threads

Living in the Shadows: SR 3 OOC
Living in the Shadows: SR 4 OOC
Living in the Shadows: IC Jan 1st - Jan 7th
Living in the Shadows: IC Jan 8th - Jan 14th
Living in the Shadows: Shadowland OOC
Living in the Shadows: Shadowland IC

Useful LITS-related Links

Living in the Shadows: Story Index Page
Useful Calendar Link for 2063
Seattle Sprawl Map

LITS Run Index

Living in the Shadows: The Warehouse Job OOC 1 (closed)
Living in the Shadows: The Warehouse Job IC 1 (closed)
Living in the Shadows: Running Over the Edge OOC 2 (closed)
Living in the Shadows: Running Over the Edge IC 2 (closed)
Living in the Shadows: Salvation OOC 3
Living in the Shadows: Salvation IC 3
Living in the Shadows: A Short Victorious War OOC 4
Living in the Shadows: A Short Victorious War IC 4

paul_HArkonen
Sweet I get the first post and first character biggrin.gif

Ok, Um yeah just for WinterRat1, if you know of any Gms that have jobs they're going to set up just post that in a PM or post as max, other than that, glad to be part of the game
tisoz
Panzergeist, please note the character that was approved for Living in the Shadows. It was not the blackberry cat. Actually, that character has yet to be approved for play in Running Over the Edge. I asked for some modifications and have not heard back from you.

Characters for Running Over the Edge are not approved for Living in the Shadows. Running over the edge is a subgame with an en entire different level of power that is going to be run much like Living in the Shadows. You aren't missing out on much. If you can show that you can follow instructions and that you aren't going to be a disruption to Living in the Shadows, you may be approved to play there with your ROtE character.
WinterRat1
This is directed to Madda, Paul, and Bearclaw

OK all, I've been thinking about it, and there are four possibilities from here.

1) I deal with each of you individually and develop your personal storylines.
2) I open a subgame of my own under which you may participate.
3) We just sit and wait for more players.
4) I run a story within World IC which is tailored to your individual characters and develops your personal storylines, and may or may not be a job, and may or may not involve all your characters to the same degree. What I mean is, for some of you, it may be a job, for others, maybe not. Some of you may be more involved, others less involved, but all will be involved. Lastly, you may or may not meet each other.

Cast your vote and I'll go with whatever you like. It's not a majority vote, if two of you want to go with option 2 and one wants to go with option 1, then I will run each of you accordingly. I will say that unless all three of you choose to do option 2, I will NOT open a new thread, probably go with something along the lines of option 4.
Panzergeist
Whoops, forgot I had to revise his history. Just sent in the revised history. I've revised his age to just under two years.

I can't really use Blender in this game, as he has almost no life outside of work.
Bearclaw
Klaus is never really at a loose end. If he's not currently employed, he's looking for new business for the private detective agency that doesn't have a name or an office yet.
The missing persons trade is pretty easy when you have access to ritual links.
He watches the screamsheets and the news sites for missing persons reports, then he shows up and offers his services.
If the employer will let him mind probe, the cost is 2000, plus espenses ('cause he can have a watcher do all the work after he has a good picture. It also eliminates the parent as a suspect in the disappearance).
Without mindprobe, but with a ritual link, 4000, plus expenses.
With neither, it's 10,000, plus expenses, with 2000 up front, non-refundable.
If he fails, he only takes expenses. If he only finds a body, it's half.

He is searching for a magical group to continue his education. He'd be willing to start one if he had enough people to join him, but it's a lot easier to join one that's already there.
Other than that, he reads the news, especially the sports page, and studies magical theory.
WinterRat1
Bearclaw, why don't you start taking steps to develop your detective business?

To all, remember World IC is HEAVILY character driven. You do not need to wait for me to begin developing your story and hooks. I will jump in and assist, but the primary responsibility is on you to keep it rolling. Of course, if you want to just sit and wait, that's ok too. Just a reminder.
Bearclaw
You've got it. That's what he's looking through the paper for. The next client. He doesn't have enough cash yet to set up an office, make business cards and get licensed (now that the group that wanted him dead is gone or scattered, he's using his real name and SIN). He'd actually like to get set up with a PI license and a bail bondsman (Bounty hunter) license. But it costs, so he'd be happy to do a run or two, for the bigger pay-off.
Did you notice that I left at least 3 hooks dangling in my first post, if a GM were to want to pick any of them up?
paul_HArkonen
two or four is basically what I'm looking for, with no info about family or brother, info that you could make up if you wanted to, he's looking for a job of some sort, anything involving attacking corps, either killing someone, destroying something, or stealing something are all fair game for him.
Madda_Gaska
I really think that number 4 is the best option for Mr Cao.

One point to raise though (as mentioned by Tisoz) is regarding time-keeping. How are we telling when 'tomorrow' has arrived?
tisoz
0005 Hours, January 1, 2063

One suggestion is to indicate the date in your post. Then we can see how things are moving along and make periodic synchronizations.

Should probably make a point of indicating where you are. Apartment in Tacoma, or Matchsticks Bar in Seattle.
Madda_Gaska
That works, I'll follow that plan- though perhaps with:

0005 Hours, January 1, 2063 - A hill just north of Seattle
Cao Jaan

That says everything at the start of the post, which could make it easier (perhaps colour character name by GM?).
WinterRat1
Bearclaw, I did catch the hooks. I just wanted a general idea of what you all are looking for before I got started. For now, just stick with the time date/name/location stamp. Don't worry about color coding just yet. For now, just put those on the top in bold.
paul_HArkonen
I don't know which hooks you want to play around with WinterRat1, just that anything about family or brother will come through the decker rather than the fixer, other than that, i stand waiting for some sort of job to do, i'll likely post some sort of just day to day type of thing early tomorrow if i still have nothing.
WinterRat1
Keep posting day to day Paul. My apologies that you were sort of excluded in that first round. Your character's hooks are a little tougher for me to work in, but I'm working on it. I wanted to see how the other two reacted before I get you rolling. But I haven't forgotten you, promise.
paul_HArkonen
That's fine, and i uderstand that, *sounds of cracking knuckles* alright let's get to posting
WinterRat1
OK you're up Paul. A few things.

1. Tisoz will be posting the general guidelines for timing shortly. Any confusion over the fact that Paul's event happened AFTER Bearclaw's should be explained there. I deliberately made the time when I did to reflect and emphasize the difference between RL posting and what happens IC. If you have questions, wait until Tisoz's post is up. If you're still confused after that, ask me.

2. To all players under me. I will occasionally take control of your characters (see post in regards to Blaze for example) to facilitate the flow of the game. Note I will NOT do anything that makes a major decision for you or does anything you would not normally do. I will also attempt to play your characters to the best of my ability.

Breaking down the example, Paul has previously stated an interest in finding out info on his family and so I assumed it was fair and reasonable to say he'd at least copy down the LTG. Basically it's to stop that exchange from looking like this.

Post 1: So you want the number?
Post 2: Yeah
Post 3: Here it is
Post 4: Thanks

Instead it is all wrapped up in one post. Note however that if the decker wanted him to pay for it, I would not have accepted for Paul, because that would be a major decision. I apologize if I've stepped over the lines Paul, I hope not. If I have, let me know and I will change the post.

If anyone has a problem with this, let me know and I will not do it for your character. If anyone has a problem with anything I do while controlling your character, simply let me know, and I will backtrack and edit to a point you feel comfortable with. Again, this is not to control what you do, simply to make the game flow faster and smoother. I figure people would rather move the story and see things develop rather than play out every single sentence their character says. But again, if I am wrong, just let me know and I'll adjust accordingly. Hope that helps.

3. Please post the time/date/location stamp in Orange at the top of the post. Thanks!
tisoz
Concerning time.

Do not worry about posting an earlier time than a previous poster. That is the point of noting it in your post.

Example:
PC A posts saying it is 1200
PC B posts next, saying it is 0900 the same day
PC C posts saying it is 1500
PC A posts saying it is 1230
GM synchronizes time about weekly IRL.

Hopefully this will keep everyone at about the same game time. It will also let the game progress at its own pace. The only time it will be crucial is when PCs interact and hopefully they can cooperate at synchronizing their own time.

I hope everyone realizes how posting the time, location and character will make following the thread easier.
paul_HArkonen
Um WinterRat, I'm going to make a area knowledge test for downtown to see how much i might happen to know about the restaurant, namely if weapons are going to be a huge problem or a necesity.

Knowledge Downtown seatle : 5,5,4,4,2,2

let me know and I'll finish this section based on that info, thanks
WinterRat1
Paul,

Miner's Landing is a converted wooden warehouse decorated with mementos of Seattle's history. It's a family style place with skits illustrating the past, and food for that particular time period. About medium size, pretty nice, calm place, overall. From your knowledge, nothing shady that you know of.

Final analysis, seems pretty safe for a meet. Doesn't seem like the kind of place that will really make it tough for you to bring in weapons. Then again, doesn't seem like the kind of place you'll really need weapons. It's also a few blocks from the Renraku Arcology, very close to Downtown Seattle, so area security is probably pretty tight. All in all, a pretty neutral safe site for a meet.
tisoz
It has occurred to me not everyone has the Seattle sorcebook or New Seattle to look up locations. You might post for suggested names of locations in the Shadowrun Forum, they would probably enjoy sharing their vast knowledge and the response time is usually very quick. The other solution is a description such as a seedy bar near the docks in Tacoma. I'm sure one exists that isn't listed in canon.

wink.gif As a last resort, you could ask here.wink.gif
Madda_Gaska
If people want (A-E,Z) rated areas in whatever part of Seattle, it might help to have them posted for different areas here?
(I don't think that breaches copyright in a 'real' way, in that it's just a list of areas with security codes and not a substitute in the slightest way for buying the book. Still, I'm no lawyer.)
tisoz
Seattle Sprawl Map

It looks like it is by Wizkids.
Bearclaw
I'll be out of town until Monday, so this is probably my last post until Tuesday.
WinterRat1
Responses to everyone's posts are up. Also, I'm pretty sure everyone posted the requisite amount of times, so take a karma point Bearclaw, Paul, and Madda.
Madda_Gaska
Excellent, thanks muchly.
paul_HArkonen
Thank you very much
Bearclaw
Conjuring a watcher

15 11 05 04 01 01 #D:6 TN:3 HR:15 S:4

Resisting drain
08 05 04 04 #D:4 TN:7 HR:8 S:1
Sadly, Klaus takes a Light stun.

Relaxing in his chair to recover the point of stun

11 07 04 04 04 03 01 #D:7 TN:3 HR:11 S:6

Takes 10 minutes (60/6 = 10). Gotta love that body of 7.
paul_HArkonen
my computer died this moday and i Apologize for not being able to post, i shall start back up on saturday, i hope.
WinterRat1
How we doin out there guys? If I do not get an IC post from someone in say, the next two or three days (RL), I will arbitrarily "bump" time forward with some various and random posts just to keep the game moving along. If for some reason you are planning on posting but unable to before that time limit, just post something here in the OOC board to that effect and I'll be sure not to touch/effect your character in the moving forward.

To be clear, not criticizing anyone or even remotely bothered by the lack of posts (only been a two day gap since last post); just trying to keep up with my GM responsibilities to make the game interesting for you all. smile.gif
WinterRat1
Oh Bearclaw, in case you couldn't tell from the IC post, your watcher could not find the target. I.E. no successes.
Bearclaw
Right.
Sorry, I've actually been busy at work lately, so I've not been able to post as much as I'd like. That, and I realized that I need a partner to locate some one using ritual sorcery. Gotta have an astral spotter frown.gif
Bearclaw
Hey, I pulled The Magic Touch and Daisy straight out of First Run. She should be listed as she's "legit". Hope you don't mind.
Klaus needs material for the ritual.
paul_HArkonen
winterRat, I'm really sorry i haven't been acive on this for a while, several other things came up suddenly. I'm still interested and i'll be keeping a pretty good schedule for the time being.
WinterRat1
Bearclaw- No problem. I assume you guys have access to phone books and things like that. Making up names just saves me the trouble. Much appreciated. smile.gif

Paul- No sweat. It happens. I actually was a little worried you were upset I dragged your past into this so soon, but I was thinking, "he shouldn't be, after all, this is a major part of his backstory. Cutting to the chase shouldn't be a bad thing." Glad to hear it's just RL.

All- Announcement Starting about mid-august (after the 14th or so) I will be launching the first major push for the Living in the Shadows campaign. It will be a series of related runs, probably 2-4, run concurrently, set up convention style (i.e., 3-5 major encounters, fairly short, designed to advance the story of the overall campaign world more than to develop the individual runners).

The logic is that this campaign answers one major issue with Dumpshock games. After the run, what next? Obviously, you'd like to keep playing your character and spend their hard earned money and karma, but unless the GM runs another game, continuity is hard to come by. Obviously, World IC is our attempt at addressing this. So hopefully this will appeal to the other gamers on Dumpshock and attract enough players.

I'm thinking minimum 3 games ideally, with 3-6 players per game, so anywhere from 9-18 players will be needed. Just as an opinionated thing, do you guys think we'll be able to round up the players, and will there be interest in both this sort of campaign and continuing to stay in the Living in the Shadows game afterwards?

The purpose of the announcement is to let you guys know you (and anyone else currently approved to play in World IC at that time) will have priority for being accepted. A fringe benefit for being involved in advance. smile.gif Also to give you heads up, in case you won't be around at that time but would like to play (game probably won't start till the end of aug/beg of sept) so I can hold a spot for you. Consider this a public service announcement.

WinterRat1
Oh yeah, and Paul and Bearclaw, each of you pick a number between 1 and 10. Just post it here in the OOC thread. Thanks.
paul_HArkonen
the same number i will always pick.
Bearclaw
assuming I'm competing with Paul smile.gif
Bearclaw
Hey, as there is no street index associated with the stuff I'm after, I just used book prices.

Rating 6 shamanic lodge.......................3000+
Rating 4 detection ritual components.......400+
Synthleather backpack...........................100=3500
WinterRat1
Bearclaw, are you asking her if you can set up your lodge in the back, or just if you can conduct a ritual?
Bearclaw
Well, both really, although the lodge would be temporary (like a day or two). Gotta have the lodge to do the ritual.
WinterRat1
Bearclaw, give me a Willpower roll, TN 8 please.
And a Charisma roll, just post the results.
Bearclaw
OK.
Here's the Willpower:
11 10 04 03 03 03 #D:6 TN:8 HR:11 S:2

Heres the Charisma:
10 05 04 03 #D:4 TN:8 HR:10 S:1
WinterRat1
Shev- Does your store have a name?

Everyone- The first campaign push for Living in the Shadows, titled It's a Small World, is up. As current members, you all have priority, so take a moment to review them and let me know which, if any, of the jobs your character is interested in.
Shev
Whoops, forgot to give it a name. How does "Key to the Future" (my fake ID's last name is Key) sound?
Shev
Oh and by the way, WinterRat, this is my first time doing SR by message board, so let me know if you need more info or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!
WinterRat1
Shev, nope, your first post was great. One thing though, if you wanna help me out and give me a hook to start your character doing something, anything at all, that'd help. I've been mass producing stuff lately in case you haven't noticed, so I'm a bit dry on creativity right now (allocated all my creativity points to the runs wink.gif ) so if you want to think of something to keep Avalanche occupied for a bit, that'd work out great.
Shev
Ok, sorry about the confusion. I confuzzled up some wording. Now, this being my first character, what would the base price for the job be, and what is the street index?
WinterRat1
Basically, he wants you to modify his deck so it can use Masking and Evasion, two things legit cyberdeck users wouldn't need. I would use the rules for constructing components in Matrix to calculate the price, plus labor. Do you have that book? If so, do the math and show me via PM or this thread what you did, how, and why. If not, let me know and I'll try to whip something up.
Shev
Sadly, I don't have the Matrix sourcebook (it's next on my list). I have no idea what the cost would be. I would say a base cost of nuyen.gif 5000, but that's right out of my arse smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012