Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 12 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Enemies can give a lot of story. you have a bad allergy to salt water(which I will have to incorporate into your death, much in the vein of the witch from Oz), maybe we could tie into that a little. Flashbacks of some water related experience. anyway, figure out your vehiclce and where you keep all your ammo, and post a day in the life type thing to get started

Given the crush's history, I felt that he is deeply involved in their fight with Humanis. I took that as a vendetta and enemy.

Also I took flashbacks (minor). Basically to account for the trauma of loosing his parents to Humanis, and almost being ghoul chow as a kid.

Just to clarify--should I post the day in life here or in the IC thread. I am assuming in the IC thread, but just want to be sure.

Red-ROM
@ Warlo: We'll need to flesh out your flashback trigger, and other specifics. Post the day in the life bit in the IC thread, back up the time a bit, at least to this morning.
Saint Sithney
@ Warlo: surprised you took 4 levels of boost agility. That just means 3 more stun to soak for an average of 1 more agility.
Those power points could instead score you 3 levels of enhanced perception, since that's your main gig. You'd still have 1 level of boost, which should net you +2 agility per boost instead of +3, but you'd only have to soak one stun instead of 4.

Also, the Ruger Thunderbolt can't technically mount a gas vent. Dunno how strict Rom wants to be about that kind of nonsense though.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 12 2011, 11:15 PM) *
@ Warlo: surprised you took 4 levels of boost agility. That just means 3 more stun to soak for an average of 1 more agility.
Those power points could instead score you 3 levels of enhanced perception, since that's your main gig. You'd still have 1 level of boost, which should net you +2 agility per boost instead of +3, but you'd only have to soak one stun instead of 4.

Yes, the Boost power is tricky that way. It balances out as best at the lowest level. You could take that .75 points and improve Agility by one permanently. Same effect as three dice in Boost (on average), but no drain and it doesn't go away.

Enhanced perception or improved perception would be cool. We could call you Radar. Or, since you are into unarmed combat, some critical strike or any of the other XXX strike powers could be useful.
Saint Sithney
Personally, I'd say take 3 levels of enhanced perception, then drop your perception skill by 3 points and use those BPs elsewhere, like for combat skills and specializations.
Sephiroth
Elemental Strike (Sound) in particular could be very useful. cool.gif
Saint Sithney
Problem is that you need to take killing hands to get elemental strike. That means at least a full power point.

Also, hand to hand combat with ghouls is... not recommended.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 13 2011, 04:10 AM) *
Also, hand to hand combat with ghouls is... not recommended.

I suppose that depends somewhat on whether Red-ROM wants to go with RAW or RAI when it comes to HMHVV-III. We both know that Ancient History et al. made it abundantly clear that they meant for the strain to be injection vector, not contact. Which is at least a little better.
Saint Sithney
I guess it would take a pretty vicious claw-swipe to bust a guy's armor for that nasty P. Still, when one swipe means a lifetime of chowing flesh by the pound, I'm up for keeping full distance.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 12 2011, 11:15 PM) *

Also, the Ruger Thunderbolt can't technically mount a gas vent. Dunno how strict Rom wants to be about that kind of nonsense though.

@St. Sithney: Well on average with my Magic+Power boost level, which is how that works by raw I am getting 3 dice instead of (SRA pg. 195). Potentially 4, sometime more sometimes less. Also with my body at 7 and will at 3 I will be fighting drain of 4 stun, so I'll more than likely only take 1 point of damage after 4 combat turns..How often do your combats run, most of mine end in 2 turns.

On the Ruger T-bolt, I did not see the gun description in arsenal state it wouldn't accept gas vent 3. The level 2 that is internal is not due to it being gas vent, but more a compensation for it being able to only fire narrow bursts.

@Red-Rom:Let me know what suggestions you have. Not sure what other elements/specifics you mean. Suggestions always welcome (Trigger:Seeing a Ghoul or a humanis recruitment poster?? biggrin.gif You'd love that. )
Red-ROM
@ Warlo: by specifics, I mean what event are we flashing back to? a very specific moment that haunts your psyche. seeing a ghoul would probably be enough of a trigger. The Humanis thing is a little too broad. Also the description of gas vent three lists the weapon types it can be built into as; machine pistols, SMG's, assault rifles,and machine guns. heavy pistols did not make the list.

edit: try a personalized grip and a heavy barrel. that'll get you 2. you'd have one recoil on the second burst, but still not shabby
Red-ROM
hmm. Notso hasn't been on this weekend. And Ferret seemed busy banging his head on the steering wheel. think Professor could probably take a shot if he was so inclined. Or if Acme wanted to do something..
pbangarth
First pistol shot at ?ghoul?

AGI 3 (not boosted at the moment) + pistol 3 + smartlink 2 = 8 dice ==> 3 HITS

Second pistol shot 8 -1 = 7 dice ==> 4 HITS

Base damage 5P -1AP
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 13 2011, 11:55 AM) *
@ Warlo: by specifics, I mean what event are we flashing back to? a very specific moment that haunts your psyche. seeing a ghoul would probably be enough of a trigger. The Humanis thing is a little too broad. Also the description of gas vent three lists the weapon types it can be built into as; machine pistols, SMG's, assault rifles,and machine guns. heavy pistols did not make the list.

edit: try a personalized grip and a heavy barrel. that'll get you 2. you'd have one recoil on the second burst, but still not shabby

OK. How about the flashbacks being specific to him almost getting eaten at age 12 by ghouls. Drop the humanis part.

Ooops--should have checked the gas vent rules, was looking at the gun specific ones.

I'll post my "A day in the life of" later tonight. Wrote it up, but have had problems getting unto DS till now for some reason.
pbangarth
Yeah, Dumpshock dies on occasion. There was a serious string of such interruptions a while back.
Notsoevildm
Sorry guys, was off in England visiting the grandkids. And while I did have internet access, I didn't have any time to post.

Ferret skips this round banging his head on dashboard. Will act next turn if need be.

Warlordtheft
Red-Rom--You got options for introducing my PC to the group. He's currently 6 or so hours behind the party. Ferret may know me through the crush or through Throgg, so he could mention hiring Zo to the Ms. Johnson. Especially since he is not located far from the group.

Just trying to make your life easy! biggrin.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Feb 14 2011, 05:22 PM) *
Red-Rom--You got options for introducing my PC to the group. He's currently 6 or so hours behind the party. Ferret may know me through the crush or through Throgg, so he could mention hiring Zo to the Ms. Johnson. Especially since he is not located far from the group.

Just trying to make your life easy! biggrin.gif

I do appreciate it. I'll get you worked in as well as catch up with the rest of the group later tonight. DS was out last night and this morning as I'm sure everybody knows.
Acme
Hey guys, sorry I was quiet Saturday (I know that DS was down yesterday). Starting up a new relationship and she was in the cuddlez all the time phase. smile.gif *Shrugs* Priorities.
Red-ROM
ghoul getting shot: [4,2] = (0)

8P -1ap: [3,1,6,5,5,4,4,2] = (3)
=5P
2nd: [6] = (1)

9P -1 ap:[2,4,3,3,1,6,5] = (2)
=7P
and he's at 0 boxes
Acme
There, got a post to reflect that with my being gone this weekend his action was basically passed. No worries. biggrin.gif
Red-ROM
@ pban: thank you for picking up on the infected blood thing. Oswalds gonna be bringing all the dead players back as NPC's before too long
Warlordtheft
@Red-Rom:You want me to speed up to join the group? Also are they at Throgg's or are they at Rusty's Safe House by 9:01 PM?
Red-ROM
Sorry if the story seems to have a lot of speed bumps. The constant dying and replacing of players has definitely slowed the forward progress. Maybe Rusty's place was an unnecessary pit stop, but I had a vision of it and threw it in there. It made for a good spot to dump a body anyway.

@ War: Here's what I'm thinking. I get you to the bar where the team was in the last scene. maybe you were there while they were, maybe you sow up after they leave. When Throgg tries to contact Ferret or Amber, the gang can mention their latest tragedy and ask for help, or maybe Throgg offers to recruit someone.
You can show up after Arsenio goes on his mission (The one where he scores the M23 that Amber bought off of him), or you can go on the Mission with him. In the interest of time, I'm going to gloss over the details of that adventure, you can embellish as you like. Let me know what you think and we'll hammer it out
Warlordtheft
Not your problem. You need to tell the PC's to stop dying. silly.gif
pbangarth
One more, and we''l have more dead PCs than living! A body takes seven years to replace all of its cells. Our team can do it in one day!
Warlordtheft
Maybe we should start having clones! grinbig.gif

Red-Rom-I don't recall the name of the bar Throgg is in. I was going to call it the Loose Cannon (Zo's bartender contact runs it). If that is Ok.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 17 2011, 05:36 PM) *
Sorry if the story seems to have a lot of speed bumps. The constant dying and replacing of players has definitely slowed the forward progress. Maybe Rusty's place was an unnecessary pit stop, but I had a vision of it and threw it in there. It made for a good spot to dump a body anyway.

Heh, I was just posting that on account of my own earlier confusion as to the destination. I figured I'd use that by way of Oz's general mind-bent nature to find a way for him to respond to a question that he didn't hear asked. It does seem like a decent place to stash our prisoner until we can secure the gear.
Sephiroth
Sithney, I'll respond to you in the next day or two. I've had a lot of things happening at once lately, so my free time has been almost nonexistent.

Question for anyone to give their input on: When would be the most ideal time to wipe Viper 5's memories of the interrogation from earlier?
Saint Sithney
Well, the thing about Alter Memory that makes is so great is that you can do more than just erase a person's memory, you can re-write it.

If you erase it, it will eventually come back as they resist it. Might take a month or two, but it'll happen.

What's better is to feed them a lie that once it wears off, if they don't remember it the same, they'll still prefer the lie to the truth.
So the best lie to concoct is one where he scooby-doo's you. He discovers that you aren't really a nosferatu and that it was an illusion, and he feels real proud of himself etc, etc. The easiest lie is always the one that a guy wants to believe.

After getting subdued by a spirit and then sucking down a 10(e) shock from trying to get out the car, I think that the stun that Laes does will kill the guy...
Sephiroth
The Laes cigarettes Jovan carries don't do stun damage, they just automatically cause unconsciousness. But I really like that idea.
Warlordtheft
Nevermind this post. I figured it (invisible castle) out.

What--why waste the Laes?? They already know who you guys are, I'm sure they have PICs, and are looking for your SINs.

Why not just cack the guy and leave him for ghoul food. We're in redmond--who will notice and actually care? Keeping him for potential leverage, might be worth it though.
Saint Sithney
He's not leverage if they've already written him off as dead, which they have.

He's either bait, a gift, or food.
Red-ROM
@ Acme: Your times up. I'll give you the rest of today to post, then it's an anvil on the head smile.gif

@ Seph: your low on time as well, but you did mention you were posting soon, so I'll be less threatening nyahnyah.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 18 2011, 12:59 PM) *
@ Acme: Your times up. I'll give you the rest of today to post, then it's an anvil on the head smile.gif

@ Seph: your low on time as well, but you did mention you were posting soon, so I'll be less threatening nyahnyah.gif

Gracias senor.

Noooooooo, not Acme!! Not so soon after Amber! frown.gif

EDIT: Resummoning the two watchers that are now gone (I still have the other one until about 10:00pm) and the one that got disrupted when Thirty got attacked.
Magic 7 + Conjuring 2 + Power Focus 4 = 13d6 = 4 hits
13d6 = 7 hits
13d6 = 3 hits

Limiting them to 2 hours. Resisting 2 Drain:
Logic 6 + Willpower 3 = 9d6 = 5 hits
" " = 2 hits
= 5 hits

Assensing Viper 5, for caution's sake.
Assensing 2 + Intuition 6 = 8d6 = 4 hits

Anyone else have an idea about when/how/what to alter or erase in Viper 5's mind?
Acme
I'm not dead, I'm just trying to figure out what the hell to do, frankly. I might just have to put in a filler post.
pbangarth
Please do! Or come on over to where Professor is questioning Rusty. Two heads are better than one.
Red-ROM
I have no problem with filler posts if nothing seems to be happening. I use them myself, although I am usually behind in responding to something somewhere.
Red-ROM
stumbled on this post. an it made me laugh a little. I don't know why
Acme
Because it's kinda warming that people other than your players are paying attention to your game?
Notsoevildm
Cool that other peeps are looking at the thread. I read one or two others myself. The Caracas one is a particulalry nasty and dystopian view of the future.
Red-ROM
I don't know if they're reading the thread, so much as trying to track down JP, but the amount of concern that can be read into that line, makes Post or Die seem kind of infamous.
Deffmobile
I'm new to dumpshock and SR in general. Hopefully my char is good enough. Please give me suggestions on how to improve or at least tweak my char.

[ Spoiler ]
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Deffmobile @ Feb 19 2011, 07:59 PM) *
I'm new to dumpshock and SR in general. Hopefully my char is good enough. Please give me suggestions on how to improve or at least tweak my char.

[ Spoiler ]

First, you have too many bp spent on attributes. You may only spend up to half your allotted BP on them, so 200 in this case.

Second, you have too many negative qualities. By RAW, you may take more than 35 BP of neither positive qualities NOR negative qualities. The 35 BP cap applies to each individually, not to their sum.

Third, the formula for free knowledge skills gives you (Int + Log) x 3 in Knowledge Points, not Build Points. Each Knowledge point is equal to 2 BP. So you still have 21 BP to spend on knowledge skills. I made that mistake too when I started in Post or Die, so don't worry about it. wink.gif

Fourth, where does a merc fighter and an armorer's son become an expert on literature? It works well enough with the rest of the team, particularly Jovan with his Shakespeare obsession, but it doesn't seem to have much explanation in your bio and thus seems to stick out character-traits-wise.

I also think you need to have at least a Middle lifestyle or even a High to own a shop, but I am unsure about that one.
Red-ROM
@ Deff: Sephiroth hit the major points. The knowlege skill thing got me too. a few more things;
-what is your "Signature" if you keep that flaw
-what are your contacts' names and how do you know them
-where's your mom? what are your parents' names
Saint Sithney
I'm just going to say straight up that concentrating on melee in a world full of guns, bombs and spells is not a very good choice for a beginner.
Melee can be effective, but it takes some very specific choices to get utility out of it. Poisoning your blades is one good move to maximize effectiveness. Also, taking the two weapon style maneuver will allow you to use full defense while you attack, which will put you at advantage in combat. Combine with damaging disarm from escrima and the disarm maneuver, and you can mess them up coming and going. Off-hand training will help here as well.

Also, not having any infiltration ability is going to limit your options for getting close to people before initiating combat.
Deffmobile
Okay i'll do my best to change it up and fix everything. It's gonna take a few days though because of my work. frown.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Deffmobile @ Feb 20 2011, 04:10 AM) *
Okay i'll do my best to change it up and fix everything. It's gonna take a few days though because of my work. frown.gif

hey, turn that Emoti-frown upside down. You got the gist of it. It can take a while to put together an SR character. And these guys have been doing it for a while now (Saint still gives me advice). You don't have to have a perfectly min/maxed character, although Saint makes some good points about close combat. I made my wife a physad character for a game that was basically an anime ninja school girl, but more times than not, she was throwing grenades or using her automatics skill. Her cool katana and lightning hands(the literal electricity kind) took a back seat, and she(my wife) was a little unhappy about that.
So, you got 20 points to move out of attributes, ten of which goes to buying off excess flaws. then you can tweak your skills or whatever. My main issue is the story. Forum games tend to have more dialogue than the table top version. It even introduces the internal monologue.So I feel that your character's back story is a really useful tool in giving your character a point of view and experience to draw on for both action and conversation. What sr4 books do you have? There are 20 questions in Runner's companion(or cut and paste them from a character on Dumpshock) that can help you get the wheels turning.
What other RPG's have you played? (Just out of curiosity, it's not a prerequisite or anything)
Sephiroth
ROM, you didn't forget about the watchers, right...??
Red-ROM
I remember you summoning them, I guess I hadn't metioned them IC or anything, why?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012