Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
pbangarth
Holy shit!
Red-ROM
hahaha!
yea, the "death clock" is not always reliable. just check your 2nd to last post and subtract the days passed from 7
pbangarth
Uh, Red-ROM, do I need to do any kind of roll for Professor's request of Logo? Remember, (see character stats) Logo is his contact who is an ID forger.
Red-ROM
@ pbangarth: nah, I got it.
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Right in under the wire! Got in with about ten minutes to spare. Hopefully I won't cut it that close again.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 11 2010, 01:43 AM) *
Right in under the wire! Got in with about ten minutes to spare. Hopefully I won't cut it that close again.

I've been PM'ing people and giving them like an extra day, so it wasn't that bad. My goal really isn't to kill you guys, its to have a really active game
HugeC
Here is a roll to see what Thirty knows about the Rusted Stilletos: Logic 2 + Seattle Gangs 3 = 1 hit
I'll assume only the most general information, i.e. that on the dumpshock wiki, is known by him, and write my IC post accordingly.
pbangarth
{Music from a cult 'movie' last century drifts in...} "Let's do the Time...Warp... again..."

Thirty's suggestion and Professor's both merit consideration. Split the team, or shift one task to the next day?
HugeC
If Professor's is time-critical, let's do that one; the club owner should still be there tomorrow. Either way, we'll be going into the barrens, so we'll need to be ready for combat.
pbangarth
We don't know how long the guy in the coffin hotel will stay there, so I figure it is more time critical.
Saint Sithney
You are about to witness the strength of (geriatric) street knowledge.
Street Knowledge [Seattle safehouses] 5 int -1 defaulting = [6,4,3,1] = (1)

Oh, and academic knowledge
Academic knowledge [design (vehicles)] 8 logic + 3 nanites + 1 skill +1 college = 13d6.hits(5) → [3,3,2,2,4,5,4,3,2,1,2,1,3] = (1) Hilarious. I'll just assume that gives me an idea of how much physical space 3 cargo trucks would take up otherwise, I'll google.

Basically looking for a rough idea of how hard it would be to hide 3 massive trucks in Redmond. Guessing it would be difficult.
Red-ROM
anybody need anything from me?

@ saint: you rolled pretty low there, so just the general info. tractor trailers are big trucks with 18 wheels. Gangs are groups of criminals with matching costumes. Redmond is a big place with a lot of broken down buildings and broken roads. you're looking for a big building, but there are lots of big buildings there.

@ sephiroth: I'm just waiting for a "I buy my trodes and go home and get online" kind of post to continue

pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 11 2010, 10:49 PM) *
Yes... update the death list, please. eek.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 11 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Yes... update the death list, please. eek.gif

done smile.gif
HugeC
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 11 2010, 09:49 PM) *

Let me know how many nuyen Thirty had to shell out for the meeting with Cyrus when you get a chance, I'll deduct it from my tally.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 12 2010, 02:49 AM) *
@ sephiroth: I'm just waiting for a "I buy my trodes and go home and get online" kind of post to continue

Yes, sorry. I've had a sudden surge of work- and car-related difficulties lately. I'll get right on that.

Erasing RFID tags on his way home: Force 2, 11d6 = 2 hits

Drain roll: DV (2/2=1) + 3 = 4, 9d6 = 3 hits

Takes 1 Stun damage. =/
Red-ROM
QUOTE (HugeC @ Aug 12 2010, 05:46 AM) *
Let me know how many nuyen Thirty had to shell out for the meeting with Cyrus when you get a chance, I'll deduct it from my tally.

nuyen.gif 20
Red-ROM
@ Saint: ok, you're going to trace the node looking for the ID and Stake out the coffin motel? Can I get a perception roll with whatever sensors you're using, and a shadowing roll (or would this be a stealth roll?) I guess its a stealth roll unless he's on the move.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 12 2010, 06:18 PM) *
@ Saint: ok, you're going to trace the node looking for the ID and Stake out the coffin motel? Can I get a perception roll with whatever sensors you're using, and a shadowing roll (or would this be a stealth roll?) I guess its a stealth roll unless he's on the move.

Is it okay to assume a 10 yen mapsoft is covered by my lifestyle?
Idea is to fly over to the mountains south of I-90 about 5 km south of Glow City and just hang out for a while on stealth. Anyway, my Infiltration is 13 dice capped at 2 hits, so I figure I can just buy the two hits, yeah?

I figure, just head south along the river until the river gets near the mountain and then jump across to the mountain side. That way, I can use the mountain face to block my signal from traveling into Renton and raising eyebrows among K.E.

Sound kosher?

I'll hit you with the perception.
Sensor 6 + Skill 2 + Attention Coprocessor 3 = 11d6.hits(5) → [2,6,5,3,3,6,5,6,4,4,5] = (6) Man! Who needs edge when you're this good?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 12 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Sensor 6 + Skill 2 + Attention Coprocessor 3 = 11d6.hits(5) → [2,6,5,3,3,6,5,6,4,4,5] = (6) Man! Who needs edge when you're this good?
Oh, no! I can hear the Universe turning It's attention to your dice.
Notsoevildm
Old roleplayer here with a lot of experience with SR1-3. Unfortunately none with SR4 or PBP campaigns.

I have an idea for a character which could best be described as a dwarven b-list decker/drug dealer. I can even envision how he could get caught up in the current arc with BDLL, although I see there a couple of other characters on the waiting list.

I saw that you are looking for new characters, so should I go ahead and post him here? I have pulled a character together (not sure if it's any good) using one of the SR4 character generators and used the 50 question list to work out his background. One thing to be aware of is that I have a tendency to make rather broken characters with a broad range of abilities, rather than min-maxed cybermonsters.

I would be learning the SR4 rules (I have access to the books) and how to forrmat posts correctly as I went, so expect plenty of OOC discussion as I work out what I am trying to do, both IC and OOC.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 12 2010, 11:42 PM) *
Is it okay to assume a 10 yen mapsoft is covered by my lifestyle?
Idea is to fly over to the mountains south of I-90 about 5 km south of Glow City and just hang out for a while on stealth. Anyway, my Infiltration is 13 dice capped at 2 hits, so I figure I can just buy the two hits, yeah?

I figure, just head south along the river until the river gets near the mountain and then jump across to the mountain side. That way, I can use the mountain face to block my signal from traveling into Renton and raising eyebrows among K.E.

Sound kosher?

I'll hit you with the perception.

the mapsoft is fine. what sensors are you using that can see anything from 5 km away?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Aug 13 2010, 05:04 AM) *
Old roleplayer here with a lot of experience with SR1-3. Unfortunately none with SR4 or PBP campaigns.

I have an idea for a character which could best be described as a dwarven b-list decker/drug dealer. I can even envision how he could get caught up in the current arc with BDLL, although I see there a couple of other characters on the waiting list.

I saw that you are looking for new characters, so should I go ahead and post him here? I have pulled a character together (not sure if it's any good) using one of the SR4 character generators and used the 50 question list to work out his background. One thing to be aware of is that I have a tendency to make rather broken characters with a broad range of abilities, rather than min-maxed cybermonsters.

I would be learning the SR4 rules (I have access to the books) and how to forrmat posts correctly as I went, so expect plenty of OOC discussion as I work out what I am trying to do, both IC and OOC.

I'm definately looking for people, the two guys on the reserve list are no shows. go ahead and post your character, but I should mention that most character generators are flawed in one way or another, so you might want to double check it.
pbangarth
OK, so here is a technical bit about Professor and how I hope to play him. He has the Linguistics Adept Power which allows him to learn languages just by talking with people. With his Magic of 6, this gives him a Test after 4 hours conversation. He also has the Linguist Quality, which halves the time to learn a new language, and bumps up the language skill once he has it. So that makes it 2 hours. Realistically (... in Shadowrun!?!?) Professor should have a truckload of languages at his disposal already, from the international, academic lifestyle he led. Can you imagine working in an Anthropology department where half the faculty is from some other country, and everybody has her own set of field languages she had to learn? Then there's the Matrix. But chargen doesn't accommodate this twist.

So, Professor's going to talk to people in game to learn languages, because this is important to him intellectually and as a survival skill in a nasty world where knowing what is being said may save your life. I will try to do this in role play with other players, but if it gets boring, tell me, and I will bug Red-ROM for some abstraction that saves you all from his pestering.
Notsoevildm
I used Daisybox 0.4.0.0 to create the character and filled in some of the blanks myself. In terms of acutal BP costs, etc. I am pretty much reliant on the program, but if someone could eyeball it to see if looks right (or suggest anything obvious I have missed) I would be most grateful. I hereby present:

Ferdinand ‘Ferret’ Dobson, Dwarf, Age 40

Background: In 50 questions format. I need a AAA technology corp to hate on. Not sure who the big players are in SR4, any suggestions?
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts: Descriptions under background
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
"[A]voids boats", huh, Notsoevildm? Man, join the crowd!
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 13 2010, 05:21 PM) *
"[A]voids boats", huh, Notsoevildm? Man, join the crowd!

I've been following the game thread. Thought it was rather appropriate.

I'll post in the IC thread as soon as I get an all clear from Red-ROM. I was thinking of having him start in the parking lot of the coffin motel, just waking up in his van after a late night matrix gaming session. I'm aiming to stumble into the team's stakeout, hopefully without getting killed either by the team or BDLL. Coincidences are a staple of good storytelling after all wink.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 13 2010, 03:31 AM) *
the mapsoft is fine. what sensors are you using that can see anything from 5 km away?

Radio signal scanner. It runs off the drone's antenna, which is rating 6 for a 10 km view. smile.gif

Though... now that I think about it, I might need to be in mutual signal range... It should be easy enough to figure out where that is though.. Just fly towards where I know the ID should be, and stop whenever I find it. If I'm in a somewhat populated area, I suppose there could be trouble, but with 12 armor on the blimp and 20 armor on the cocoon, I should be able to shrug off arbitrary small arms fire..

Let me know the ruling, and I'll type up the piece.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 12 2010, 09:22 PM) *
Oh, no! I can hear the Universe turning It's attention to your dice.

I just rolled 1 hit on 12 dice for a knowledge check, so, karmically, I feel safe. wink.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
I've got a post ready to go but I wanted to let the clock advance a bit since we still have people doing things in the wee hours of the morning. I'm watching the death-clock though. I'll be sure to post before it becomes too dangerous.
Saint Sithney
Forgot to roll a Piloting check. Once again, keeping it below radar.
13d6.hits(5) → [6,4,4,4,5,2,1,6,5,1,6,3,3] = (5)

And a shitty disguise roll for the Sniper rifle attached to the weapon mount:
4d6.hits(5) → [1,5,2,3] = (1)
Hooray, now it's not glaringly obvious that it has a mounted weapon!

Going to park it near the edge of the ID's outer range, then rise up a bit to stay out of typical engagement range.

node mapping
[ Spoiler ]

Quick data search to find the target node.
[ Spoiler ]
Sephiroth
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 15 2010, 02:09 AM) *
Professor's Pad, Bellevue - 4:40 AM - September 11, 2071
{A figure... elf?... walks out of a mist.... what is he wearing? A clown costume? ... No, but his face is painted... he is angry... }

Really, pbangarth? Really? That elf was the one who stole your character's ancient manuscript?

Let's see then. After a point, this story will involve, among others:
1. A senile racist old man with a laser pistol and a blimp,
2. A large sapient talking 3-headed dog that eats rent-a-cops and can move at the speed of a jet aircraft,
3. A messiah-wannabe nosferatu n00b who speaks largely through Shakespeare quotes,
4. A highly perceptive dwarf who will eventually turn into an omnilinguist, and
5. Everyone's favorite IE.

This is going to get weird.

I am excited. Very nice, pbangarth. wobble.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 14 2010, 10:04 PM) *
Really, pbangarth? Really? That elf was the one who stole your character's ancient manuscript?

Let's see then. After a point, this story will involve, among others:
1. A senile racist old man with a laser pistol and a blimp,
2. A large sapient talking 3-headed dog that eats rent-a-cops and can move at the speed of a jet aircraft,
3. A messiah-wannabe nosferatu n00b who speaks largely through Shakespeare quotes,
4. A highly perceptive dwarf who will eventually turn into an omnilinguist, and
5. Everyone's favorite IE.

This is going to get weird.

I am excited. Very nice, pbangarth. wobble.gif

hmm. for a GM, I'm pretty lost on what you're talking about. sad huh?maybe I should read more
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 14 2010, 01:53 AM) *
I've got a post ready to go but I wanted to let the clock advance a bit since we still have people doing things in the wee hours of the morning. I'm watching the death-clock though. I'll be sure to post before it becomes too dangerous.

you can always fill in with a dream sequence
Red-ROM
@ saint: I apologize if I'm a bit of a rookie with the 4th ed matrix, but where did you find "node mapping" and what is it? and data search? shouldn't you be running a trace program? I understand you already have the Access ID, but triangulating a wifi connection is still a trace. also, on perception, you're only in range for radio scanners? Signal range of the node(commlink) is 400m(1200 ft). so you can't see/hear anything, just radio chatter.
Also, radiation and poor infrastructure make this a static zone in the matrix(-1 DP)

edit: can I also get a current pan set up and programs running. are you in hot sim?
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 15 2010, 03:19 AM) *
hmm. for a GM, I'm pretty lost on what you're talking about. sad huh?maybe I should read more

I would be happy to explain which elf pbangarth is alluding to in his IC post if you like, either here or in a PM. It's okay though, I've only been acquainted with SR for a year and I didn't know anything about this particular elf until a couple months ago.

Also, I have a rules question for you regarding one of Jovan's powers. In the 4A main rulebook, it says that Enhanced Senses functions much like the related cyberware, and the cyberware for Enhanced Hearing in Augmentation says that it lets you hear things in both ends of the auditory spectrum that normal humans can't, such as ultrasound, and gives a +1 to hearing-based Perception Tests. However, I was looking a few minutes ago at the powers in Running Wild, and in a description of Enhanced Senses they give an example of a hellhound, which has Enhanced Hearing, getting a general +2 to Perception Tests. I'm confused. In which of these ways do you want my Enhanced Hearing to work?
Red-ROM
@ seph: yea, I'd like to know. And on the Enhanced senses, I don't have running wild yet, but I think its a +2 for regular senses. or it just gives you a sense you didn't have before, like sonar. the cyber versions have ratings that give different bonuses. so enhanced hearing 3 gives +3. I don't think thats the case for the powers. it seams vague. anybody else know for sure?

@ Notsoevildm: ok, you're on the list. I'm open to the idea of working you in via the D&D route of "hey, you sure came in handy in that last predicament, lets hang out" kind of way. I'm just not sure how things are going to go down. it would take some help from the group as a whole. The other option, I have mrs. J recruiting right now, and she is already aware of the fatal crash on I-5, so she would more than likely be looking to fill that void as well
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 14 2010, 08:43 PM) *
@ saint: I apologize if I'm a bit of a rookie with the 4th ed matrix, but where did you find "node mapping" and what is it? and data search? shouldn't you be running a trace program? I understand you already have the Access ID, but triangulating a wifi connection is still a trace. also, on perception, you're only in range for radio scanners? Signal range of the node(commlink) is 400m(1200 ft). so you can't see/hear anything, just radio chatter.
Also, radiation and poor infrastructure make this a static zone in the matrix(-1 DP)

edit: can I also get a current pan set up and programs running. are you in hot sim?

Always in hot sim. He doesn't have a switch to turn it off, but he's also not a cracker, so he doesn't usually spend hours at a time probing firewalls like those types do.

The node mapping is an Extended Detect Hidden Node test (SR4a p 230). I got confused there, it uses Scan, not Sniffer, so the Radio Frequency Scanner shouldn't be needed (no DP difference though). But, what it does is list every node in mutual signal range and gives me its ID. It's like the Matrix version of doing heavy pings in a submarine, except there's no sonar guy to hear me do it. However, that blindness does fall back on me.

Trace by comparison, is used to tie an icon to its originating node. So, if someone wanted to try and spoof my blimp, they'd first ping it with scan to get it's ID, then they would try to capture the wireless traffic (with Sniffer) to grab my data stream, then it would have to decrypt it (with decrypt naturally) trace back incoming signals (trace, natch) to the commanding device (my comlink) so that it can send faulty commands. But I'm currently keeping my comlink off and using the VPN to communicate with the team from the drone's node, since VPNs don't need comcodes or even legit matrix access.

Typical PAN setup is all personal devices are slaved to the comlink, and the comlink is connected to the data jack. Drones are typically not slaved, in case I need to access them through the Matrix. Currently the Blimp is salved to the comlink, but the comlink is not subscribed to the blimp, since Oswald is plugged into the blimp directly via his data jack.

EDIT: Program lists for oz->com->blimp set-up

Program load on the comlink (Response 4 Signal 4) is:
System 3 Firewall 6
Monty - Agent R3 (Should be continuously running Analyze to make sure there are no file/system changes or intruders in the comlink.)
Analyze R6 Optimization 3 + Ergonomic
Stealth R3 Ergonomic
ECCM R5 Optimization 2 + Ergonomic
Encrypt R6 Optimization 3 + Ergonomic

Total program load = 5 - 3 (max ergonomic benefits = system) = 2 so I shouldn't see any Response degradation.

Program load for GTS Tower (Response 4, Signal 6) should be:
Pilot 3 Firewall 6
Analyze R6 Optimization 3 + Ergonomic
Stealth R3 Ergonomic
ECCM R5 Optimization 2 + Ergonomic
Encrypt R6 Optimization 3 + Ergonomic
Electronic Warfare Autosoft R3
Covert-Ops Autosoft R3
Chaser Autosoft R3
Scan R6 Optimization 3 + Ergonomic
[Radio Signal Scanner operates as Sniffer R6]

Total program load = 8 - 3 (max ergonomic benefits = system) = 5 so I should see Response degradation to 3, but that would have no effect on my program's performance.

As to the signal range, I flew until I was roughly 100m form the coffin motel and then did the ping trace to find all the IDs in mutual range, drop them over my Mapsoft to make a node map, and used a Data Search to single out the one I wanted. Then I flew back until (apparently smile.gif) roughly 400 m, or whenever it disappeared from my Scan. Moved closer again, until I reacquired it, and then hung out in the most unassuming place I could find to keep an eye on the blip..
Saint Sithney
If you're trying to get a signal that Nots/Ferret can use, then I could just have the comlink subscribed to the blimp with nothing but a garbage account which is broadcasting a bunk message to keep people busy decoding it. In fact, I think I'd like to do that...

I could broadcast this old William S. Burroughs cut-up for giggles.
Notsoevildm
I've got a couple of ideas for getting involved.

1. Oswald might detect my hidden PAN (default is hidden) in the parking lot of the target coffin motel. That should hopefully set off his paranoia alert. Just hope he doesn't bomb my van. Commlink is a Hermes Ikon (response 4, signal 3), running Novatech Navi OS (Firewall 3, System 4) with the firewall upgraded to 6.

2. Could spot something on Shadowland BBS (or SR4 equivalent)

3. Beetle, my friendly connected dealer might have heard that someone is looking for runners or looking to find BDLL.

Initial post up. As everyone seems to be asleep, I wanted to check if it's okay to advance time to early AM for a follow-up post?
Red-ROM
sounds good, of course you might just be split in half by a redline from a blimp. Oswalds pretty unstable smile.gif

@ saint:
-your data jack is plugged into the blimp, so its not plugged into your commlink??
-Your commlink is off, you are not running your persona, or accessing the Matrix at all??
-The pilot program of the blimp could access the matrix I guess.
-now you want to turn your commlink on, but just as a subscription to the blimp? and have it spit out encrypted spam?
-you're also enjoying full simsense "Troll on dwarf" porn wink.gif
pbangarth
Red-ROM, here's the relevant extract from Professor's background:
This idyllic life came to a crashing end in 2068. At an exciting excavation in India, Jones unearthed a strange document. Written in Sanskrit and illustrated with puzzling images, it piqued his curiosity. He began to translate it immediately, enlisting the aid of his two assistants. Even in the first evening it offered tantalizing suggestions of an earlier manifestation of magic in the world, and went so far as to implicate the existence of beings that had lived incredibly long lives through that forgotten age. This document was of incalculable importance, he thought. How prophetic, for Jones at least.

I created Professor years ago when the RPGA was running Virtual Seattle. (I called him Arjuna then.) I had several hooks for his background that I hoped would get into the plot lines. Unfortunately, I screwed myself over, because I was writing for Virtual Seattle, and knew too much about what was going on. I couldn't play in the main arc. The guy who stole the document, Professor's enemy, became The Blind Man who eventually murdered Claudia and ended the Virtual Seattle series. I modelled him on an arms dealer in The Night Manager, by John Le Carré.

I had a sketch for a series of runs involving the document which became the target of antiquarians, Dragons and IEs, the latter two of which wanted to suppress the document and the information it contains. (Does any of this sound familiar?) and itself was a sentient artifact. The Blind Man was selling the document to the highest bidder, and there was a subplot attempt to send the document into space. Red-ROM, feel free to use any of this.

The dream sequence is a suggestion of the attitude an IE might have towards one who found this document, and perhaps an astral ghost-sense of that feeling coming through Professor's dreams.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 15 2010, 08:18 AM) *
sounds good, of course you might just be split in half by a redline from a blimp. Oswalds pretty unstable smile.gif

It's really more likely you'd notice me than that I'd notice you. If your scan program spotted a new node in the sky, that's more suspicious than me finding yet another hidden node on the ground.

@ saint:
-your data jack is plugged into the blimp, so its not plugged into your commlink??
-Your commlink is off, you are not running your persona, or accessing the Matrix at all??

Well, the idea was to keep the comlink on, just not subscribed to the blimp, so it wouldn't be sending any messages, but if you think that the drone lacks the firmware needed to supply a VR persona (which, is not at all unlikely since the connection I'd be using is basically for diagnostics, so would likely only support an AR interface for which I'd need my goggles and therefore comlink) then I'll just connect in the regular fashion. It was worth thinking about though..

-The pilot program of the blimp could access the matrix I guess.
-now you want to turn your commlink on, but just as a subscription to the blimp? and have it spit out encrypted spam?

So, as of now, I guess I'll retcon it to a regular connection. Me plugged into my comlink (unless I can plug into my comlink which can then plug into the blimp...) So, say I'll fly it there myself, get everything into position, then I'll instruct the blimp to Shadow the Node with its Autosofts (Chaser and Covert-Ops) and to resubscribe to my comlink to inform me if there's any change in the node's location or situation. But, I want to refrain from contact with the blimp itself, because Spoofing can only be done if someone can get traffic going from me to the balloon, and I want this night to be as uneventful as possible.

-you're also enjoying full simsense "Troll on dwarf" porn wink.gif

I haven't captured his wireless signal or anything (yet), I just found out where it is. I need to decrypt it first, then run a capture wireless signal test. cyber.gif
But capturing wireless signals is really easy and undetectable, which is why I'm paranoid about maintaining a connection to my blimp in a place where I could get spammed with spoof commands and not know it until the blimp started to move or fire without my knowledge... eek.gif
Notsoevildm
Looking for location/access info for Shadowland Server: Data Search(4)+Browse(3) - Hey, I never said I was a good decker!
7d6.hits(5) → [3,2,5,5,4,4,4] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [6,2,2,1,5,3,4] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [3,5,6,6,1,5,5] = (5)
7d6.hits(5) → [2,3,4,2,4,6,6] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [2,4,6,1,5,1,5] = (3) = 14 (12 hits needed for limited interest / not publicized info)
7d6.hits(5) → [6,4,4,4,3,6,4] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [1,3,1,3,6,6,1] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [4,6,2,4,1,6,1] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [2,5,5,4,2,6,4] = (3)
7d6.hits(5) → [4,3,4,6,1,2,4] = (1) = 24 (24 hits need for hidden info)
7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=5, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=1

Not sure how paranoid/twisted Shadowland is, but if I need to hack an account: Hacking(4)+Exploit(3) with threshold equal to firewall of node:.
7d6.hits(5) → [1,2,4,5,4,1,5] = (2)
7d6.hits(5) → [1,2,4,4,4,1,6] = (1)
7d6.hits(5) → [6,4,1,5,4,6,4] = (3)
7d6.hits(5) → [2,4,4,4,1,6,1] = (1)
7d6.hits(5) → [4,2,3,4,3,3,5] = (1)
7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=1

Bad news is that the node gets a Analyze + Firewall test against my Stealth program (3) each attempt until I get in. Hopefully the node/decker on duty just taunts me until I succeed, but if I trigger any sort of alarm, I log out immediately: System(4)
4d6.hits(5) → [5,5,1,4] = (2)
4d6.hits(5)=2

Ferret is not actively looking for hidden nodes while playing Neil the Ork Barbarian. Also, his commlink only has about 400m range so if Oswald stays at his max range I possibly wouldn't detect him at all, However, just for completeness: Electronic Warfare (4) + Scan (3), threshold 15+, 1 combat turn
7d6.hits(5)=4,
7d6.hits(5)=2, 7d6.hits(5)=5, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=4, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=3, 7d6.hits(5)=2
Takes 5 turns minimum, not inluding modifiers for stealth programs or Ferret playing computer games at same time. Even if he comes into my sensor rangee, Oswald could probably still make his sensor sweep and be gone before my headware spots him.

Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Aug 15 2010, 03:27 PM) *
lots of rolls wobble.gif

Are you in VR? If so, don't forget that you get 3 IPs so that's 3 complex actions per 3 seconds. Also, if you're not sleeping, you might as well probe Shadowland rather than try and bust in on the fly. One hour per test is still a long time, but you're going to get your ID blocked if you just run at the gate. Though, if you've got a connected enough digiatal contact, ROM has been sort of assuming Shadowland access as a given.
Red-ROM
I figure the shadows are littered with shadowland type sites since the devistation rought on the original, shadowsea perhapse? and lesser black market sites. I imagine the criminal scene on the matrix is just as diverse as the real world. These sites are where I imagine the info on BDLL and viper12 were found. OG Shadowland might be a tough nut to crack, but I would think there's ways to get an account other than cyber combat. I really need to read more of the fiction, but I've got a wife and a 2 year old, plus I work 60 hrs a week. (can you believe I can post anything at all?)
@ saint: I thought you were monitoring radio traffic (sniffing), I imagined you had his wireless signal already. The new plan makes sense.
Sephiroth
I have a quick question for everyone. Currently, Jovan still has four or five hours left in his "day," and since he's well aware that the team will probably freak when they meet him, I think it would make sense for him to spend the rest of the night preparing for that meeting (for example, by walking through the sewers and going all soul-eating-vampire on some unlucky metahumans). However, everyone else except for Oswald seems to be asleep ingame, and I feel like going on a soulhunt for the rest of the evening would greatly slow down the story while the rest of you wait for morning to come so your characters can wake up and do something. What do y'all think?
Red-ROM
We can gloss over your evening if necessary
Saint Sithney
Alright, so the wire from blimp to com to hand plays? I really... should have just gone with that in the beginning. It serves the same purpose without cutting me out of my com.

Anyway, I just realized that I don't have a decrypt program, and I can't imagine that this Com's traffic is unencrypted, so I'm SOL until I can buy one. Which reminds me, I need to manage my finances real quick.

Would getting another program from Ol' Softy at this time of night be a problem? I mean, paying 1500 yen for a face full of Troll wang is totally worth it. pumpkin.gif
pbangarth
Professor's commlink will wake him if he gets an urgent message.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012