Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Seth
@ seth: sorry for the lack of maps, the bay doors to the rigt is the obvious entrance for vehicles. where it goes is unknown at this point. this is a large warehouse and sort of dungeon like.

Its fine this is a text based game, and your clarification was easily enough. I am heading deeper into the dungeon with my 10 foot pole before me! (and enjoying it, mores the point).
Saint Sithney
I wanna try to use the Leadership rules from War for the upcoming fight if that's cool. I'd be using the strategic use of Leadership, which is Leadership + Logic with a threshold of half the number of people you're trying to command.

In this case, that'd be Log 8 +3 nans -1 defaulting (4/2=2) to try and give Jade, Professor, Ferret and ZO a +2 bonus to their initiative.

10d6.hits(5) → [6,2,2,3,2,6,2,6,3,3] = (3) So, maybe +2 Initiative for the opening CT?
Seth
Sounds cool.

My basic plan involves keeping distance between me and them. I am possessed by a spirit with movement powers and I should be able to lure them away. I don't think they have a mage, and I am not very worried about bullets (the flashpak visibility penalties, running target and hopefully some cover, ITnW and regen should go a long way to dealing with them). If they don't follow me I will stunball them into little pieces, if they do I'll lure them out into the open where some serious ordinance will deal with them.

Lots of things can go wrong, but I am mostly confident (largely because they are feral ghouls: if they were intelligent that would be bad news). I mostly concerned about the paranormal animals actually: I don't know their capabilities but critter powers tend to be very unpleasant.
Sephiroth
I guess that's my cue, then.

Learning from my earlier mistake, here is an Influence roll to suggest to the ghoul leader that this unknown Infected magician may have information about Jonathan, and that hearing him out may be more beneficial than straight-up attacking him immediately: Magic 7 (6) + Charisma 4 + Power Focus 4 (3) = 13d6 = 3 hits

Here goes nothing.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Seth @ Aug 22 2011, 01:27 AM) *
I mostly concerned about the paranormal animals actually: I don't know their capabilities but critter powers tend to be very unpleasant.

Yeah, I was going to question the use of flash packs vs. blind ghouls, but I suppose dogs need to get theirs too.

Warlordtheft
I thought they had reduced senses sight (not blind-but they do not have good eyesight) and the flashpack might help. Also the mention of the Ork means that least he will be fully affected.
Saint Sithney
I sort of thought that the ork was a ghoul as well, just a ghoul ork. You know, with like a minimum body of 9 or so, it's worth mentioning race as well as infection.
Red-ROM
Saint is correct! the ork is a ghoul as well. I was going to mention that, but it's taking me forever to get a post up. mostly trying to wrap my brain around possession spirits.
I'm writing a post now. My wife wants the computer in the bedroom, so I have to like, post half of it and go edit it from the living room. plus there's a lot going on, so bare with me.
Seth
Invite your wife to join in!

OK I am going carefully forwards, I'll stick the mage goggle fibre under each door.

A few questions:
  • Is there any spoor around?
  • The dents on the door...any idea what that was? vehicle? dog? sledgehammer?

If there is nothing interesting elsewhere I will go to the blood stained doors

Smell roll: 3 successes
Listen roll: 6 successes

Red-ROM
@ Notso: I hope I'm not being too hard on you with these systems. You can always spoof your ID and try again. I think if you can slip in without an alarm, you'll be allright. Using the terminal was a good thought, it just has a lot of issues. I think you'd be better served to jack in and duke it out. use your exploit to crash programs if your attack isn't so hot. get Oswald in there. He's got some free time at the moment. I'm not trying to NERF the hacker I swear.
Red-ROM
Notice the Friday Saturday change over smile.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 24 2011, 09:36 PM) *

Oh hey yeah, it's Saturday now. cyber.gif
pbangarth
Changed the day in my posts.

Outside

Ferret catches up with Professor at an abandoned bar across the street. The booths along the windows make pretty good cover, and there was the bar itself to fall back to and probably a back door from there, but the Professor hadn't had a chance to check yet.

Professor is still learning tactics. He's got cover and cross-fire figured out. Exit strategy isn't second nature to him, yet. And, thanks, that's a nice gift, Red-ROM. He just got there and hasn't had a chance to check, yet. That's it. Yeah.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 24 2011, 07:36 PM) *

I hope this weekend never ends. twirl.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 24 2011, 11:40 PM) *
I hope this weekend never ends. twirl.gif

Another year from now, it'll probably still be Saturday. rotfl.gif

EDIT: Knowledge skill roll for calculating best position to hover while still within reach of the ceiling, given Jovan's astral speed: Logic 6 + Physics 4(5) = 11d6 = 2 hits
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 25 2011, 03:00 AM) *
@ Notso: I hope I'm not being too hard on you with these systems. You can always spoof your ID and try again. I think if you can slip in without an alarm, you'll be allright. Using the terminal was a good thought, it just has a lot of issues. I think you'd be better served to jack in and duke it out. use your exploit to crash programs if your attack isn't so hot. get Oswald in there. He's got some free time at the moment. I'm not trying to NERF the hacker I swear.

Don't worry about it. Ferret is a bit of a coward so when the IC comes out he tends to turn tail and run. Also, he has the Codeblock: Attack disadvantage so he doesn't do well in cybercombat (although Zo's comment about bringing a gun to an axe fight has given him an insight that may let him buy it off when he has the karma.)

Finally, I should have spent more on his programs and link, especially Stealth and Exploit but as he is my first 4e hacker I wasn't sure what was really needed. Guess where all his cash will go if we ever finish this run and get paid for it.
Seth
I'm checking to see if there is a way up to windows at the top, or a second way out (I don't want to get trapped in here), then I will head down.
Red-ROM
@ all: just got Internet back after Hurricane Irene! I'll post something up soon. Tomorrow is my B-day and I've got some partying to do this evening nyahnyah.gif

@ Seth: which stairs are you going to? the one with the blood trail, or the room with the burning smell and the elevators?
Seth
Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed the hurricane tropical storm, and the party.

@ Seth: which stairs are you going to? the one with the blood trail, or the room with the burning smell and the elevators?

The stairs with the blood stain. Elevators = death trap in a scary situation like this...I want to be able to do a Brave Sir Robin and run away.
Sephiroth
@Red-ROM: BIRFDEI!! *sings obligatory happy birthday song in the key of off*

Am about to leave for my last day of work before the school year starts again, will try to get a post up as soon as I can (probably about the info from Zayne if Red-ROM doesn't post before I do).
Seth
@Red-ROM: BIRFDEI!! *sings obligatory happy birthday song in the key of off*

When I was in california the locals did this crazy fast hand clapping and song thing that I think was the equivalent of happy birthday. So please pretend (this is RPG) that I just did one for you...
Saint Sithney
It's one of my room mate's birthday today also, so I'll party a little extra just for you ROM. wink.gif
pbangarth
I'll toast you with a glass of scotch tonight, Red-ROM!
Red-ROM
hey, thanks guys!
I'm going to get off my Lazy butt and post now smile.gif
Sephiroth
Going to try (fingers crossed) an Etiquette roll to ease Archer's suspicions and try to judge his current attitudes (although I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of "i'm going to murder this tool"). I probably should have taken Etiquette (Ghouls/Other Infected) at chargen, but alas, 250 BP after racial cost leaves so little room for skills.

Etiquette roll vs. Archer's Charisma + Perception: Charisma 4 - Defaulting 1 + Dealing with individual or group that accepts the Infected 2 + Edge 2 = 6d6.hitsopen(5,6) = 4 hits *phew* I went with the maximum reasonable value for the Infected modifier, so you could just take stuff off if you felt a lesser value applied. That modifier of which I speak can be found on pg 77 of RC, if you need/want to double-check it.

Also, here is a Judge Intentions test against Archer's Willpower + Charisma to judge the ghoul's intentions towards Jovan (again, I'm feeling like it's something like "oh yay, something I can gut open, how exciting," although admittedly that might be because I'm behind on posting). Intuition 6 + Charisma 4 = 10d6 = also 4 hits
Seth
Go get them Jovan! Would be funny if you just get it sorted when I charge in....

Few questions for Red-ROM
  • Can I astrally/physically hear the conversation between Archer/Jovan?
  • What can I hear / smell / assense?

I am not unhappy with my general perceptiveness, probably enhanced by my (well concealed) fear:

By the way I am enjoying this game: sneaking alone through a warehouse of man eating ghouls to the accompanying sound of a cannibal feast is a new experience for me. I am looking forward to dealing with said ghouls.
Seth
@Red-ROM
Couple more questions:
  • These Feral ghouls are they barefoot?
  • Does the workshop look recently used?
  • Does the workshop have any cylinders of compressed gas (acetylene etc?)
Red-ROM
@ Seth:

- You might be able to hear some faint talking, but not enough to make out what they are saying

-You don't know if the ghouls are barefoot yet (but most of them are not. They have plenty of extra clothes from their meals, and their "handler" knows how to take care of his "pets")

-I'll post about the workshop in a few
Warlordtheft
I figured there were at least some nails and screws lying around...Also are there enough work benches to create an obstacle zone (difficult terrain).
Seth
By the way: the reason I keep asking about Jovan, is that IC I haven't anything about his plan. So I don't know that he is talking to them. I don't want to spoil his fun, so am delaying a bit, but it would be nice if someone would let me know.

It's kind of scary being bait but it should be fun!

@Warlord theft
I have levitate, so difficult ground is OK. It would be nicer though if it was nice ground for me, then you knock over some stuff, and it becomes difficult ground.

@Red-ROM
Minor point: your time signature says Friday.
Red-ROM
yay dungeon crawl!

roll initiative!
Red-ROM
@ others with thumbs twiddling: I am sorry if your character is left out in the cold. the group is spread out in a strange way, and there are timing issues to boot. I think the action is picking up slowly but surely. anyway, if you get too bored you can always run in and join the party smile.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 8 2011, 09:25 PM) *
anyway, if you get too bored you can always run in and join the party smile.gif

Not bloody likely!
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Seth @ Sep 8 2011, 01:31 PM) *
By the way: the reason I keep asking about Jovan, is that IC I haven't anything about his plan. So I don't know that he is talking to them. I don't want to spoil his fun, so am delaying a bit, but it would be nice if someone would let me know.

Well there was this, in case you missed it earlier.
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 21 2011, 05:56 PM) *
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2071, 12:12 AM, Inside the Flipped Van

"Well, Joe is still holding on to the negotiation plan, so let's not light this sucker until we get that sorted."

I guess we should probably figure out here whether we are assuming that most of what Jovan is saying to Oswald is being recommunicated to the others in the BGC at the Annex. Save Saint Sithney the trouble of echoing back everything, you know.

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 8 2011, 09:50 PM) *
Not bloody likely!

Do I detect a double pun coming from you, pbangarth? That was clever if it was intentional.
Seth
I'm happy to assume that it's all been passed on: means I can avoid spoiling Jovan's fun. Given the way the conversation is going, I suspect this little fight (I hope) with the doggie won't affect it much.

I hope I have included the background count of 1 correctly in all below.

Round 1 vs doggie: I go on 15, spirit goes on 12
[ Spoiler ]

IP 1/15
Unarmed touch attack (2 successes) if successful shatter spell force 5:
[ Spoiler ]

IP 1/12
[ Spoiler ]

IP 2:
Hit dog, 2 successes in unarmed, hit him for 8S(e) with electrical energy aura
[ Spoiler ]

I suspect the doggie will shoot at me. Hopefully I will be in melee with it, spoiling its aim!

Reactions vs bullets 2 successes, soak 6 (not taking into account any armor piercing, or immunity to normal weapons)
[ Spoiler ]

status
[ Spoiler ]
Saint Sithney
Wow, getting hosed on those rolls...
Seth
I felt pretty hosed too!
Still get the bad luck out of the way when it's less important.

If we are going to have any chance against this ghoul horde, we shouldn't have too many problems with this doggie.
Warlordtheft
GUNS! GUNS! GUNS!

Assuming of course that there isn't any freeze-up on Zo's part (yeah, he gets falshbacks when he's seen a ghoul--silly me taking this flaw! smile.gif ).

@Red-Rom: I am assuming the roll for the flash back is once per scene (aka until the action stops), and since it has beena while (back at the gas station) I'll need to check the next time I see one. I assume we are rolling for suprise, then initiative.

Perception Roll to notice the drone (you may have already done this):12d6.hits(5) → [3,5,1,5,5,1,4,2,5,3,4,3] = (4)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3181790/
Note I am assuming with the ultrasound (from the gun), low light, and thermal my vision mod is 0.

Suprise roll: 14d6.hits(5) → [6,2,6,3,5,1,2,1,1,6,1,2,2,2] = (4)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3181784/
11 dice Initiive +3 Dice combat sense

Suprise round action or first IP if no suprise:
1st Simple action:Ready weapon

2nd simple action: Long burst from AK-97-narrow burst with EX-explosive ammo.
10d6.hits (5) → [3,5,5,5,4,5,4,4,2,1] = (4)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3181802/

(AFB-but assuming suprise damage base is 16P (10P before burst--6P base +3 for 3 extra hits, +1 for ammo), AP-2 (-1 for weapon -1 for Ammo).

Initiative roll:11d6.hits(5) → [5,1,3,4,2,4,2,5,1,6,5] = (4) +11=15 Initiative
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3181811/

PS: I'll post Zo's action once you resolve these actions OOC.
Seth
Assuming of course that there isn't any freeze-up on Zo's part (yeah, he gets falshbacks when he's seen a ghoul--silly me taking this flaw! ).

Oh wow...
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 8 2011, 10:38 PM) *
I guess we should probably figure out here whether we are assuming that most of what Jovan is saying to Oswald is being recommunicated to the others in the BGC at the Annex. Save Saint Sithney the trouble of echoing back everything, you know.

I assumed so, but Zo don't care.

@Red-Rom: BTW-if there is no suprise round (I'll be a bit disappointed since it is part of combat senses bonus), just assume my suprise action is the same as my first IP.

pbangarth
I'm away from computer until Sunday night, but I suspect the fight won't get to Professor before then.
Warlordtheft
DOn't worry, we're waiting on Red-ROM's response (at least I am).
Red-ROM
@ War: I was skipping the suprise round because nobody is likely to be suprised, but we can roll it...

step one, perception: you guys blithely walked into the room expecting it to be empty (based on the view from under the door) so skip it. I'll give the drone + 3 for being alerted to your presence.
3 hits

for time sake, I'll say you and jade react much faster than the drone. And you both go on 15!
so charging shatter attack and Long/ Narrow burst from AK-97.

defense against Jade: .. hmm.. Invis. castle is freaking out on me.. sooo... 2 hits, you get the touch
drone is a 5 on object resistance so 5p in damage

defense against Zo: ..2 hits.. , 11p -1 armor...4 successes. 8p

total damage 13. splat

Red-ROM
@ Pban: very clever. "killed for not keeping up with things".. I hate the overuse of the acronym, but I literally laughed out loud smile.gif
Red-ROM
@ Jovan: I think we should roll initiative
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 12 2011, 08:38 PM) *
@ Jovan: I think we should roll initiative

Nothing ever seems to go according to plan for poor Jovan, and he's supposed to be really good at planning. =/ *sighs* Any possible suggestions on how to still salvage the situation and get a bit more info out of Archer? We're still woefully uninformed about a bunch of things right now.

Initiative is Int 6 x2 = 12d6 = 3 hits = 15
pbangarth
Possibilities:

(1) You could suggest that if they had been getting into position to attack the ghouls, they would not have announced their presence prematurely.
(2) You could reiterate that we don't want trouble with the ghouls and are only interested in the cargo.
(3) Hit him with some of Jovan's arrogance. "If I had wanted you neutralized, you would already be so." It might work.

It's tough though, especially if Archer wins initiative.
Seth
@Sephiroth
Sorry. I was trying to delay a bit.

@General
And so it begins. Good luck every one this is our own personal zombie ghoul apocalypse
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 13 2011, 04:52 AM) *
Possibilities:

(1) You could suggest that if they had been getting into position to attack the ghouls, they would not have announced their presence prematurely.
(2) You could reiterate that we don't want trouble with the ghouls and are only interested in the cargo.
(3) Hit him with some of Jovan's arrogance. "If I had wanted you neutralized, you would already be so." It might work.

It's tough though, especially if Archer wins initiative.

(4) You had assumed the ghouls were all feral and there is only one way to deal with them.
(5) Of course you have several backup plans in place in case negotiation fails.
Seth
I am about to start negotiating with the ghouls. Very aggressive negotiation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012