Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Sephiroth
@Red-ROM: Is the watcher currently under the effect of Fear still rational enough to show Jovan the mental image of what is saw of the dog, so that Jovan can judge magical power, proportions, number of heads to rule out a Cerberus hound, fiery appearance to rule out a hellhound, and so on?
Saint Sithney
Heh, forgot I don't know anything about the watcher...
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 13 2011, 07:59 PM) *
Heh, forgot I don't know anything about the watcher...

It's fine. Acme (PC) couldn't technically have heard Jovan's yelling through the strictly-telepathic spirit-summoner link, but Acme said he's struggling to keep up so I'm fine with cutting people a bit of slack.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Mar 13 2011, 07:59 PM) *
@Red-ROM: Is the watcher currently under the effect of Fear still rational enough to show Jovan the mental image of what is saw of the dog, so that Jovan can judge magical power, proportions, number of heads to rule out a Cerberus hound, fiery appearance to rule out a hellhound, and so on?

the description is "filled with overwhelming terror" so you can ask, but it has a wildly exaggerated Idea about what it saw. Plus astral perception is an emotional perception, not visual. So fear can have a strong effect on what you see.
And just to clarify, you are relying on spirit input and commlink communications at the moment. You are not Astral yourself right? Not to make you paranoid, just for clarification.
Sephiroth
That is correct, Jovan is not astrally projecting right now.
Red-ROM
Another thought, nobody has Parazoology or even zoology. Professor has Mythology, which is in the ballpark and Oswald has biology which could touch on it. I know everyone watches trids and can research this stuff online, but there's not much to go on at present.
Saint Sithney
Oswald can default on any logic-based knowledge skill with 10 dice. Brain like a sponge, with nanites to help organize it.
That should be enough to buy two hits for detailed knowledge, yeah?

At the very least, with 17 dice, he could hit some Obscure bio knowledge.
17d6.hits(5) → [6,3,2,4,5,2,3,3,1,4,1,3,1,5,3,1,3] = (3) hahaha. nice..
Acme
Arrrgh, I'm sorry Jovan, I really need to read my posts more carefully. *Sigh* That's three times in a row now and I'm just being a hinderance.
Notsoevildm
Ferret's commlink:
Response 4(3), Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Attack

Some dwarves never learn. Going in hot.

Scanning node for bad shit (IC, system level, firewall rating, running programs):
Computer 4 + Analyze 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=5 - didn't take any dice off for it being an ancient system. Adjust result as necessary.
Red-ROM
re: the PLTG (old Matrix)

I have tossed a few Ideas around, and I think the easiest way to handle this is to treat the situation as an overriding reality-filter, i.e. -1 response.

I figure the pro's and con's kind of balance out. it's just going to take a lot more processing to make things work. I also might require some extra hacking checks. Good news though, the once drek hot corporate system you're going into is nowhere near as lethal as it used to be smile.gif
Saint Sithney
Another perception roll for the blimp.
Sensor 6 +2 skill +3 attn copro +3 actively looking = 14d6.hits(5) → [5,1,6,6,2,1,3,6,5,2,3,6,3,3] = (6)
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 14 2011, 12:47 AM) *
Oswald can default on any logic-based knowledge skill with 10 dice. Brain like a sponge, with nanites to help organize it.
That should be enough to buy two hits for detailed knowledge, yeah?

At the very least, with 17 dice, he could hit some Obscure bio knowledge.
17d6.hits(5) → [6,3,2,4,5,2,3,3,1,4,1,3,1,5,3,1,3] = (3) hahaha. nice..

defaulting on knowledge skills? a sponge can't absorb water it hasn't been exposed to. I'd give you something as easy as general knowledge, like a cerberus has three heads, but I'm not letting you assume you can speak Cantonese
My point is, not everyone in the group should be going,"magic dog?! does it have three heads or breath fire?" I don't mean to come across like a dick, I'm sure everyone has heard about different magic animals in passing, and most of the group is smarter than Stephen Hawking. So there is an argument to be made for knowing things. I'm just saying that its starting to sound like a team thats sitting in the Barrens, thumbing through "Running Wild".
Saint Sithney
Haha, yeah. I've made it a point not to refresh my memory on any of the threats we've seen thus far, but I've always thought that knowledge skills in the information age should be very specific, detailed things. The kind of information that's available to everyone over the internet today is incredible. With the computing power of the Matrix, general info should be so easy to come across that people can't help but be exposed to it. Like, I've never studied Spanish, but I've picked up enough from exposure to play soccer down at the park, order a meal and get directions. Or, as another example, even a smart guy may not be able to recite and understand Hooke's Law, Avagardo's number, or the stylistic periods of John Donne, but give him Internet access and 5 minutes and they can bullshit it well enough.
Sephiroth
As a note, while defaulting on language skills is explicitly disallowed, I don't believe there's anywhere in the BBB one way or the other about defaulting on general knowledge skills. I'm not contending with anyone, I'm just throwing that out there.
pbangarth
The Knowledge Skills system has built into it a sliding threshold scale. So If you have Elven Wines of the Americas 3, you may not even have to roll, but Oenophile 3 may have a threshold of 3 or 4. Defaulting would even be higher.
Notsoevildm
Ferret's commlink:
Response 4(3), Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Attack

Scanning icons: Menu Interface Man, Public Access Terminal, Garage Schedule, Cross Labs Directory
Computer 4 + Analyze 3 + Hotsim 2 - Reality Filter 1 = 8d6.hits(5)=4, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=3, 8d6.hits(5)=2

Mainly looking for: IC, rating, potential exploits, etc.

Red-ROM
@ all: Roll an auditory perception roll, and initiative

@ Ferret: you are using a public account, things are looking pretty vanilla outside of the algorithims not meshing well. The System is clocking at Rating 3 and firewall at 4.

edit: quick location chack at gas station. Ferret and Zo are inside, Oz is in VR by south wall with Professor standing nearby and Acme is standing a little away from the building watching the north west side... sound good?

Edit 2: @Ferret: the -1 is to response, not matrix actions
pbangarth
Professor is inside, too, looking south. (See HERE)

Professor auditory Perception roll: 9 dice (assuming not listening for anything in particular) ==> 4 HITS

Professor Initiative: 7 dice ==> 4 HITS gives Initiative score 11
Sephiroth
Auditory perception roll - Int 6 + Skill 3 + Enhanced Hearing 2 = 11d6 = 4 hits and as always Jovan can hear things in the infra- and ultra-sonic ranges. (also that is mislabeled as a different character, sorry, it's still supposed to be for Jovan)

Initiative - Intuition 6 + Reaction 3 = 9d6 = 2 hits = 11 initiative, 2 IP

EDIT: I know I'm low on the clock ROM, don't worry. I will be posting sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.
Saint Sithney
Audio check: Int 5 + skill 2 +3 attn coprocessor +3 audio enh -2 distracted = 11d6.hits(5) → [4,1,4,1,1,6,5,5,2,3,4] = (3)

Init: Int 5 +4 Rea (inc cram) = 9d6.hits(5) → [4,1,3,3,2,4,4,6,3] = (1)

Just saving up the good dice for the surprise roll...

BTW, does this mean we are officially in CTs and shouldn't post?
Red-ROM
@ pban: inside the building, got it

@ Saint: yea, combat turns. You can post, just be mindfull of the time sensitive situation. I don't want anybody dying because it's not their turn and their waiting on someone else. MAybe write what your character is thinking, or what they intend to do

I'll crunch numbers, and post later.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 16 2011, 03:45 AM) *
@ all: Roll an auditory perception roll, and initiative

@ Ferret: you are using a public account, things are looking pretty vanilla outside of the algorithims not meshing well. The System is clocking at Rating 3 and firewall at 4.

edit: quick location chack at gas station. Ferret and Zo are inside, Oz is in VR by south wall with Professor standing nearby and Acme is standing a little away from the building watching the north west side... sound good?

Edit 2: @Ferret: the -1 is to response, not matrix actions

As Ferret is slumped against the terminal in full hotsim, I haven't rolled perception or initiative. Also noted that it is -1 to response, not matrix actions.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 15 2011, 06:45 PM) *
Oz is in VR by south wall.

By the south wall, do you mean the garage doors? Because that's where I'd want to be, going into VR and all. Crawled up into a corner as best as I can..
Red-ROM
@ saint: so noted, corner between the door to the front room, and the still present garage door?

@ Ferret: I'd still roll initiative and the hearing check( at -6). I might roll the hearing for you to get things moving
Red-ROM
So far, initiative /hearing :

Oswald: 10/ 0 hits(-6 VR)
Jovan: 11/ 4 hits(-3 far away)
Professor: 11/ 4 hits
Ferret: ? / 2 hits (-6 VR) HAHAHA
Acme: ?/ 1 hit
Zo: ?/ 4 hits

so, the dog howling is at a threshold of two to hear. so Acme and Oswald are unaffected by the paralyzing howl.
Everyone else roll willpower vs. 3 hits
Sephiroth
OHGOD

3d6 = 2 hits

Wow, that was an impressive listening roll for Ferret.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Mar 16 2011, 08:57 PM) *
OHGOD

3d6 = 2 hits

Wow, that was an impressive listening roll for Ferret.

yeah, one of those funny things when dice get involved
Warlordtheft

Paralyzing Howl:
3d6.hits(5) → [1,5,4] = (1)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2938334/

For complete understanding of my PC please refer to the following public service announcement:

http://www.weregeek.com/2010/02/15/
Acme
Mmmph, I'm not going to bother rolling the listen, ROM, since you got about my average for rolling anything, and my Inish proves it:

6d6.hits(5) → [1,1,4,4,6,2] = (1)

For a whopping 7 inish.
pbangarth
Professor rolling WIL to resist the dog's howl. Damn, somebody's gotta stay focused here... add Edge.

WIL 5 + Edge 3 = 8 dice exploding 6s ==> 6 HITS

Yeah! Don't scare Professor nohow, suckah!
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 16 2011, 04:45 PM) *
(-6 VR)

I've been operating under the impression that sound enhancers (earbuds, headphones) with audio enhancement are wireless connected to one's PAN, and therefore accessible while in VR. That's why I've been using convo instead of text. VR would make one effectively blind, hence the -6 blindness penalty, but audio isn't necessary.

Not that I want to get paralyzed here, I'm just trying to clarify.

Also, is the dog visible again?
Notsoevildm
Willpower roll: 3d6.hits(5)=1

Oh great, I get to be paralyzed in the matrix.

Initiative roll: 8 + 8d6.hits(5)=4 = 12 (I think Ferret also gets a +1 reaction for hotsim so 13), 3 phases but slightly paralyzed with fear at the moment.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 17 2011, 02:27 AM) *
I've been operating under the impression that sound enhancers (earbuds, headphones) with audio enhancement are wireless connected to one's PAN, and therefore accessible while in VR. That's why I've been using convo instead of text. VR would make one effectively blind, hence the -6 blindness penalty, but audio isn't necessary.

Not that I want to get paralyzed here, I'm just trying to clarify.

Also, is the dog visible again?

hmm, I thought that using electronic sound input on the matrix would be different than using your physical ears in this case. Not that I'm discounting audio enhancement, but you're actual ears are being overriden with ASIST. And I figured that would dampen the magical effect of the howl. The -6 is for your actual ears picking up the howl. Does that make sense? It's just how I went with it.

Also, at this point, the dog is still on the second floor of the building where it chased the spirit.

@ Zo: initiative score?

Jovan and Professor seem to be up first
Red-ROM
@ Notso: you have a 4 Reaction. the howl reduces it by 2. you aren't completely paralyzed
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 17 2011, 04:19 PM) *
hmm, I thought that using electronic sound input on the matrix would be different than using your physical ears in this case. Not that I'm discounting audio enhancement, but you're actual ears are being overriden with ASIST. And I figured that would dampen the magical effect of the howl. The -6 is for your actual ears picking up the howl. Does that make sense? It's just how I went with it.

Excellent reasoning. Magic and matrix no mix.
So, he maybe heard it, but just as a regular digitally-transmitted howl instead of a spooky super-howl?

Any way I could take a second later and set the old select sound filter to block it out? biggrin.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 17 2011, 08:19 PM) *

Oh sorry---Assuming physical:
9d6.hits(5) → [4,2,1,3,4,1,5,6,3] = (2)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2940061/

9(INT+REA)+2(Enhanced Reflexes 2)-2(Paralyzing Howl)=9

So my initiative is an 11 with 3 IP.

(I swear one of these days I am gonna glitch on 17 dice sarcastic.gif )
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 18 2011, 01:21 AM) *
@ Notso: you have a 4 Reaction. the howl reduces it by 2. you aren't completely paralyzed

Note to self: next time check what the critter power actually does before posting.

Doing a quick and dirty on Ferret's initiative roll by knocking off 2 reaction and one success, takes his initiative to 6(7)+3 = 10, 3 passes. Also slightly edited post to reflect that he is not completlely paralyzed.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 17 2011, 07:19 PM) *
Also, at this point, the dog is still on the second floor of the building where it chased the spirit.

Jovan and Professor seem to be up first

So, just to be sure, Professor can't see the dog, he just heard it, right?
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 18 2011, 08:54 AM) *
So, just to be sure, Professor can't see the dog, he just heard it, right?

If you've got image link, you've got access to the blimp's sensor feeds, should you want to look at them. The blimp and the dog are over a mile away though. The 2 ghouls were 500m away and the dog was considerably north and west of that.
Warlordtheft
@red rom: Just a quiick request-could you update the map with where everyone is.

As I understand it:
Zo (Me in the north room covering the garage entrances)
Ferret and Prof are inside in the front room where the terminal is located.
Acme and Oz are outside on the south side of the gas station building.

Jovan is back at Rusty's safe-house in Oz's rover.

Air spirit?
Watcher:Running away

Ghouls: 2 500 meters from current location, to the north.
Bad puppy: More than 500 meters from current location, to the northwest.

Any other hostiles/potential hostiles in the area?
Red-ROM
@ Sephiroth: I don't understand the question you asked your spirit. Do you want to know if he can see the team, three miles away through many buildings and such, from where he is now located? Or are you asking if he can go find them?
Sephiroth
I am asking if it can get a glimpse of them from the air while remaining within 700 meters of him. I guess the best way to do that, if at all, would be for it to just move up to 700 meters straight up for the best vantage point, unless there are taller buildings blocking LOS.
pbangarth
Let's get some action here.

Professor takes a shot at the ghoul with the snack (or pet?). I'm not sure of the range, but since he can see them in an urban environment, I'm assuming medium range. Aw, he'll use a Take Aim Action and zoom in with vision magnification, so it doesn't matter. Only one shot, though.

Shot at the ghoul: AGI 3 (damn, not souped up with his adept goodies. get on the ball, boy.) + Skill 3 + smartlink 2 = 8 dice

==> 4 HITS
Red-ROM
Ghoul defense: 0 hits, Body + Armor(-1) vs 9P:4 hits: -5P

Zo is going simultaneously, so I'll give him a chance to respond as well.

Maybe I should keep these results secret some times, for more suspense...
Sephiroth
I'm getting ready to go home for spring break right now, so I can't post just this moment, but I'll have it up within an hour or two.

Jovan will spend a simple action giving an order to the two watchers who were supposed to go back and check on the group. He will tell them to circle around the heads of any creature - ghoul, paracritter or otherwise - that looks to be attacking or about to attack the group, and to be as annoying and distracting as possible while doing so. Have fun, ROM. smile.gif

He will then spend a simple action telling the spirit to look for ghouls with tiny watchers buzzing around their heads, and to disable those ghouls using whatever method it sees fit. And then a free action texting the team to show them the video of Jonathan and entreat them NOT to blindly shoot every ghoul they see.

Guided magical sniping FTW?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Mar 19 2011, 10:01 PM) *
I'm getting ready to go home for spring break right now, so I can't post just this moment, but I'll have it up within an hour or two.

Jovan will spend a simple action giving an order to the two watchers who were supposed to go back and check on the group. He will tell them to circle around the heads of any creature - ghoul, paracritter or otherwise - that looks to be attacking or about to attack the group, and to be as annoying and distracting as possible while doing so. Have fun, ROM. smile.gif

He will then spend a simple action telling the spirit to look for ghouls with tiny watchers buzzing around their heads, and to disable those ghouls using whatever method it sees fit. And then a free action texting the team to show them the video of Jonathan and entreat them NOT to blindly shoot every ghoul they see.

Guided magical sniping FTW?

watcher initiative: 2 and 3
Air Elemental init : 27

I'm gonna say the Air Elemetal spent the first IP checking out the scene and talking. It's Zo's move, I'll try to update the map, you got the gist of the situation. two ghouls 1 km EAST(half a mile?). one ghoul 40m east. dog about 1 km North West. This is very rough, don't beat me up on this too bad.
Warlordtheft
My first IP is to ask Prof and Acme what is going on and move towards the door. Let me know if I spot the ghoul from where I am at (assuming distances are ok). I am now at the small tool bench between the two doors looking out the missing door.
Red-ROM
@ Acme: kudos on catching the link between the vid feed and the ghoul downtown.

while the video isn't very clear, there is no sign that the ghoul getting shot at is the guy in the sewer.

edit:

Oswald: 10
Jovan: 11
Professor: 11
Ferret: 10
Acme: 7
Zo: 11

Oswald and ferret are next
The Ghouls Initiative is actually really high. I was a little late in rolling it. so I'll call it a delayed action.
Notsoevildm
Switch from VR to AR - Free
Log off - simple
Jack out - Free
Unplug data jack and stand up - simple?
Complain - Free

Initiative drops to 9 and 1 pass. No more actions this round.

Nanoprocessors in brain = cerebral booster 2
Saint Sithney
Simple action, Log Off.

Free action and 2nd simple action held.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012