Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
pbangarth
The mall is different from the tower, and we are in the mall.

I think.
Sephiroth
pbangarth is correct.
Notsoevildm
Yep, we are at the mall.

Ferret juggles some programs around before switching off the jammer, then 'listens' for anything that might have been getting jammed by it (AR mode):

Ferret's commlink:
Response 4(3), Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Sniffer, Scan

Free action: detect all active / passive nodes
Detect hidden: EW 4 + Scan 3 = 7d6.hits(5)=2 - assuming 2 hits per test, that's about 2 rounds to detect something on the van, or 7 to detect anything within signal range.
Tap signal (if he finds one): EW 4 + Sniffer 3 = 7d6.hits(5)=1, 7d6.hits(5)=3 - takes 2 rounds.
Sephiroth
Red-ROM, just in case you missed it in my earlier post (I don't think I was terribly clear), Jovan and spirit have been exploring the astral space in and around the tower since Ferret and Zo caught up with everyone else. So I think he's been looking around there for about a minute and a half or two by now.
Seth
Increase charisma Force 7 Successes...what a waste...9 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053632/
Drain 1 physical http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053633/

Summoning 7 watchers (charisma max is 7) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053634/
Edited as Watchers are useless

On a side note I am travelling at the moment, and will find posting challenging (where I am there is no mobile phone coverage! and the internet is flaky). I expect to keep up with the posting requirements, but if I miss a day: Please don't kill me!)
Red-ROM
Am I wrong in thinking that Force 1 watcher spirits can't exist in a -1 background?
Warlordtheft
Yes, the watcher can't exist in a background of -1 --and with that info Zo has lost his boost agility ability.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 2 2011, 05:41 AM) *
Am I wrong in thinking that Force 1 watcher spirits can't exist in a -1 background?

No. It'd be better for Seth to send an actual spirit into the mall than watchers for that reason. Also, I've been operating under the impression that the nearby background count exists inside the mall and not outside, which is how Jovan is able to communicate with the team currently. If this is incorrect, and the -1 background count is everywhere, please let me know so my watcher can disappear in a puff of RAW.
Notsoevildm
Ferret's commlink:
Response 4(3), Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Sniffer, Scan

See if the camera footage from the mall shows the woman:
Computer 4 + Browse 3 = 7d6.hits(5)=1 - slim chance.

Dismantle jammer to recover hand scanner:
Logic 6 + Electronics 4 = 10d6.hits(5)=3
Red-ROM
Sorry I'm kinda slow to respond right now,
I'm an HVAC mechanic, and this is the time of year they work me 70 hours a week.

The background count was supposed to be for the whole complex, but we can fudge it a little, and say it comes and goes outside the buildings. these things don't make perfect circles usually.

@ seth: you may want to change your summoning to a real spirit though.

Seth
Sure. I posted a question in the main forum's about watchers, and I guess my opinion that they are rubbish is supported. (that's a dig at the game writers).

I'm travelling and AFB at the moment, but I think task spirits can search. As I currently have one summoned, I'll just send it in.

I'll edit the old post
pbangarth
Survived my daughter's wedding. Should be getting more active here in the next day.
Saint Sithney
So, ROM, is there a part of the mall where they'd do storage or take deliveries? And the tower, is it a multi-story big ol' mess?

I'm still trying figure out how big this area is going to be for searches.
Also, how long until I could expect the lady to come to?
Red-ROM
My job is trying to kill me. 54 hours this week, and another day to go (our pay schedule runs Thursday to Wednesday).

The girl should come to in about an hour. I wanted her to just pop up and start talking, but I think it should probably take a bit to recover from a near death experience.
Sephiroth
I have faith in your ability to survive your own job's attempts to murder you, Red-ROM. smile.gif

What's the status of Jovan's watchers that are searching for Zayne?
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 5 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Survived my daughter's wedding. Should be getting more active here in the next day.

What is so hard about that (I'm tying the knot in december)?

Should it be needed:

Perception roll on the way to the loading dock:
12d6.hits(5) → [6,1,6,6,5,2,2,5,2,6,1,1] = (6)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3062982/

Infiltration roll on the way to the loading dock:
4d6.hits(5) → [4,4,2,2] = (0)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3063001/

I think I'm stealthy! smile.gif
Seth
What is so hard about that (I'm tying the knot in december)?

Congratulations.
HugeC
Hi guys! I'm catching up on the IC thread, just wanted to pop in and say hello. Nice to see you are still going!
pbangarth
Same to you, big guy.
Seth
Not my most impressive rolls, but I'm keeping an eye out for stuff:
Visual check:4 successes
Smell check: 3 successes
Astral check: 4 successes

I am particularly interested in if there are any recent ghoul or human smells.

I think my spirit is due back soon: could you let me know what it will report, so that I can post when the clock tick happens? The last one reported that there were no wards (IIRC), and that means it will just find any dead bodies I think. Its due back in about 3 minutes

pbangarth
The problem with cutting and pasting the time stamp from the last post, is you sometimes copy an error. Are we not all in the mall, rather than in the tower? I'm confused.
Warlordtheft
We're all in the mall
Shopping not at all
Just Looking for boxes of guns before we fall

grinbig.gif

HugeC
Phew, all caught up! Looks like Thirty is only mostly dead? What would you guys think of him waking up from his coma? If it's possible and not undesirable, I'd be interested. rotate.gif

Edit: Durf, nvm, I see there are a couple folks on the waiting list, 'twouldn't be right to jump ahead in line! I'll just read and see what happens.
Red-ROM
@ HugeC: good to hear from you man. I can throw you on the list...where did we leave Thirty anyway...

@ all: yep, cutting and pasting confusion. we are at the MALL. not the TOWER.

@ Sephiroth: I'll try to get to the watcher and Zayne this weekend (although I'm working Saturday)
HugeC
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 9 2011, 07:48 PM) *
@ HugeC: good to hear from you man. I can throw you on the list...where did we leave Thirty anyway...

My reading has him on the floor of the rover with Jovan.
Red-ROM
haha, I forgot. theres quite a pile of bodies in there right now.

ok, whats Oswald doing? wheres the girl, and the blimp? What else am I missing?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 9 2011, 08:19 PM) *
... of course, there was a large shadowy bay door leading further underground.

Hah! The entrance to the next dungeon level!
Seth
Get out the 10' pole and check it for traps!

No wait...wrong game...

Back to this game. Summoning force 5 spirit (actually 4 because of background count).
[ Spoiler ]

Increase reflexes (Force 7/7 successes) maintained the hardway
Guidance spirit with optional power engulf and 4 services
Physical / Sun / Edge: all at max
Aria
You seem to have a fairly stable group at the moment but on the offchance that things change I'd like to submit Requiem for the reserves list:

Requiem [Former Firewath Officer – Elf – MBW Samurai]

Character Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sketch: Here

Character Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 9 2011, 10:22 PM) *

So many bodies. grinbig.gif In the last astral (i.e. not communicating through a watcher) post of mine, Jovan asked the spirit whether it had picked up on any hints of a connection between the German man and Jonathan. I think you got everything else, except for the girl and the blimp and whatnot.

@HugeC: It's good to see you back, man. smile.gif

@everyone: Question before I post. Does anyone want to have told Jovan about what happened in the tower basement? As far as I can tell, no one told him anything about that IC, but there have been quite a few chunks of time that we've skipped over, so if anyone wants to have told Jovan about it during those intervening periods, please tell me. Or don't tell me. I'm quite fine with Jovan not knowing that there was a ghoul battle down there (yet).
pbangarth
Sorry, I assumed that through the various channels of communication we were keeping each other informed. Professor in particular feels he is sort of the liaison between the rest of the team and Jovan and wouldn't want Jovan in the dark. *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* Get it? Get it?

I'll do it in IC, if for no other reason than to keep Professor alive! He hasn't had much to do lately. Or rather, I've been distracted.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 9 2011, 06:22 PM) *

The blimp is hovering outside. Oz is keeping an eye on it in AR.

The girl is with Oz by the knocked over Ares truck.

Thirty is in the back seat of the Rover along side Viper 6. Jovan is in rear compartment hooked up to the Valkyrie Module.
pbangarth
Professor checks the stability of the immediate surroundings. (God. The dwarf checks for shifting walls. I can't escape that game!)

LOG 5 + Civil Engineering 2 = 7 dice ==> 2 HITS

Red-ROM
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 11 2011, 01:51 PM) *
Professor checks the stability of the immediate surroundings. (God. The dwarf checks for shifting walls. I can't escape that game!)

LOG 5 + Civil Engineering 2 = 7 dice ==> 2 HITS

who can, who can....?

Maybe I have DM'ed more than I have GM'ed and that's why it's feeling that way.
Red-ROM
ok, Professor doesn't see any immediate danger of collapse.
Seth
OK Back from travelling without access to Internet!

Sorry about being impulsive, but I had to post something to avoid an unpleasant accident involving a flying saucer or a giant mutant pigeon.

I guess I concentrate to get rid of the sustaining penalty for the coming fight, move into cover and take a good look around

Visual: 5 successes
Assensing: 6 successes
Saint Sithney
This is getting dragged out....

ROM, are you still into continuing this?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jun 17 2011, 08:00 PM) *
This is getting dragged out....

ROM, are you still into continuing this?

ouch, being called out I guess.

I haven't had the time or energy lately. I've also been as "sandbox" as I can about this, which has lead down some boring dead ends, and I haven't taken the time to creatively work everyone back around (although I was starting to). The other problem I'm having is the advanced scouting on the Astral will lead to one of two things;
- Spirits wiping out the danger while the rest of you pick your nose
- or Jovan and company dying before you guys leave the mall

I'm working over 60 hours a week and barely get to see my wife and son, much less sit in front of DS. I fully understand if someone wants to take over or quit. I'm trying to hang in there, but I'm also more than willing to step down. I am not immune to the "or Die" part of this thread.

so what do you guys want to do?
Sephiroth
suddenly doubleposts
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 18 2011, 09:27 PM) *

I haven't had the time or energy lately. I've also been as "sandbox" as I can about this, which has lead down some boring dead ends, and I haven't taken the time to creatively work everyone back around (although I was starting to). The other problem I'm having is the advanced scouting on the Astral will lead to one of two things;
- Spirits wiping out the danger while the rest of you pick your nose
- or Jovan and company dying before you guys leave the mall

I'm working over 60 hours a week and barely get to see my wife and son, much less sit in front of DS. I fully understand if someone wants to take over or quit. I'm trying to hang in there, but I'm also more than willing to step down. I am not immune to the "or Die" part of this thread.

so what do you guys want to do?

I honestly like your GMing style for this game thus far, and I'm quite able and willing to maintain interest even through this current lull in the action. But I completely understand about your job not leaving you with much energy for Post or Die. I don't fault you for that at all. If at some point you feel too overwhelmed by work to put the necessary effort into this game, I'm fine with Sithney taking over in your place. But that point doesn't necessarily have to be now, though.

Also, if it helps, I/Jovan summoned that elemental so that he could have access to another super-mind, not a super-soldier. If you feel the need to tone down the physical utility and effectiveness of spirits right now, just let me know! I'm happy to hold back if you need me too. It even makes sense for me to do so from a roleplaying standpoint, since "Violence is the last resort of the incompetent" describes Jovan's mentality and preferred work approach rather well. As I said, I'm more interested in the spirit for its strategic/analytical/planning potential than its physical power capability, since I feel the need to have Jovan do more to benefit the group in his role as a plotting-inclined character.
Seth

Sometimes it can be hard to GM: when your working hard you just cannot work out what is behind that door, and wife and kids trump DS. I have enjoyed the little Post of Die that I played, and reading the threads I can see I am not alone.

I'm happy with anything: either we start a new GM, or give RedROM a holiday. I'd be sad to close the game, as I want to know where the box is!
pbangarth
It seems to me things bogged down a bit when the Matrix action started, which is par for the course no matter who plays/GMs. Doing astral searching adds to the bandwidth. I suspect things will speed up as we all (mostly) come into the same realm.

I like your style of GMing Red-ROM and would be happy to continue. If you want to take a rest, then we can see who would like to take over, temporarily or otherwise. This seems like a good team, even with the continual replacements, and I would hate to see it dissolve.
Notsoevildm
I'm having fun and dont want to kill the GM. I think we have a solid group and would like to continue.
Red-ROM
I appreciate the vote of confidence fellas. Today's my one day off, and I'll try to get the ball rolling.

EDIT:

ok, the whole game was nearly dead. And it's my fault, so I am in no position to kill anyone at the moment. I know there are people waiting in the wings, and I apologize. I'm not sure what the best approach is at the moment.

1- Saint takes over and kills whoever he sees fit
2- give everyone a grace period to get back on track (including myself)
3- ...?

also, if someone takes over, I can give them the gist of what I had planned or they can take it wherever, It's not necessarily the end of the game
Red-ROM
@ sephiroth: I haven't forgotten about Zayn. Just thought you had enough on your plate at the moment
Saint Sithney
I feel like you've been doing a great job of letting us go and do as we please, but that's a major endeavor on your part. We've got to ask what we see and then move a tick forward and then ask what we see, and you've got to keep that up.

A little rails will help get this first mission done maybe before the year is up. I'm all for that. Big glowing rails if you need them.
pbangarth
Yeah, we've got at least four separate scenes going on, all of which require GM input to the players. You can't help but get bogged down face-to-face, let alone in posts. It might help to draw us all, or most of us (looking at you, Sephiroth wink.gif ) together again. It is certainly more efficient in game to be doing what we are doing, but the GM is being hammered.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 19 2011, 08:04 PM) *
I appreciate the vote of confidence fellas. Today's my one day off, and I'll try to get the ball rolling.

EDIT:

ok, the whole game was nearly dead. And it's my fault, so I am in no position to kill anyone at the moment. I know there are people waiting in the wings, and I apologize. I'm not sure what the best approach is at the moment.

1- Saint takes over and kills whoever he sees fit
2- give everyone a grace period to get back on track (including myself)
3- ...?

I'd go with 2...I know some of you had finals so maybe extend the 2 posts requirement to two weeks rather than 1 week until RED-ROM's work schedule slows down.

+1 to RED-ROM doing a good job. smile.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 20 2011, 12:30 PM) *
Yeah, we've got at least four separate scenes going on, all of which require GM input to the players. You can't help but get bogged down face-to-face, let alone in posts. It might help to draw us all, or most of us (looking at you, Sephiroth wink.gif ) together again. It is certainly more efficient in game to be doing what we are doing, but the GM is being hammered.

But of course. wink.gif
Sephiroth
I'm really confused about how Viper 5 was able to get out of the Rover and start running when the Rover's 10S electricity system was still on. Especially since he's probably still so high in his stun damage track from the last time he did that. Is there some sort of knowledge skill or mental attributes roll I can do to figure out how much time I have before he's unable to be retrieved?

This is going to be challenging. eek.gif High-stress nosferatu plotting/management powers, go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012