Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
HugeC
I was just rolling to help me write my post. You know, whether he noticed that one of the women was actually a man and such (which he didn't). If I had rolled well on perception, Thirty would have remarked on the damage to the boat and passengers, but I figure with that low a roll, he didn't really notice. The roll for etiquette was pretty good, so I tried to write him a good professional introduction, and that he used his kinesics to figure out who was in charge without needing to ask.

Is it OK if I do that sometimes? Maybe I could specify when I'm just rolling to help me write, or rolling because I am trying to do something and therefore want GM attention. Or should it be that I roll, tell you what I'm looking for, have you answer, and then write my post? Whatever way is fine, I'm still trying to figure out how PBP works.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (HugeC @ Jul 31 2010, 11:26 PM) *
I was just rolling to help me write my post. You know, whether he noticed that one of the women was actually a man and such (which he didn't). If I had rolled well on perception, Thirty would have remarked on the damage to the boat and passengers, but I figure with that low a roll, he didn't really notice. The roll for etiquette was pretty good, so I tried to write him a good professional introduction, and that he used his kinesics to figure out who was in charge without needing to ask.

Is it OK if I do that sometimes? Maybe I could specify when I'm just rolling to help me write, or rolling because I am trying to do something and therefore want GM attention. Or should it be that I roll, tell you what I'm looking for, have you answer, and then write my post? Whatever way is fine, I'm still trying to figure out how PBP works.

It seemed like it worked well, I think that recognizing Caper as a man would be an opposed test vs his disguise roll. so just watch out for that kind of thing. but your doin fine
Red-ROM
@ Majhra: Otto is about to have a massive coronary. Or maybe he'll slip and fall and smack his head "million dollar baby" style. Pleeeeeaasssse post! its going to be hard for these guys to accept a job with such a high fatality rate.
pbangarth
I'm getting a strong urge to move Professor away from Otto!
pbangarth
Assensing otto: INT 4 + Assensing 5 + active search 3 = 12 dice ==> 4 HITS
Sephiroth
*cue theme music from Jaws*
Red-ROM
well, I waited as long as I could. We may be a smaller team before the meet is even over.
but for now...

Sephiroth is up! go ahead with a "day in the life" kind of post, and we'll start working you in.
Saint Sithney
Can this one just get hospitalized due to a failing liver?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 2 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Can this one just get hospitalized due to a failing liver?

I'm saving that for Heka devil.gif
Saint Sithney
No! The organs! The sweet, sweet organs!

I need to negotiate for salvage rights. frown.gif
What's the point of taking the Cybernetics and Medicine if I can't make a little extra off the dead? grinbig.gif
HugeC
Here's a composure roll for watching someone keel over and die: Cha 4 + Will 4 + Kinesics 3, 11d6.hits(5)=3

Not too bad I suppose, probably shouldn't puke or anything. I'll post something up in IC tomorrow.
Saint Sithney
Ozzy is just dealing with stress in his own way..
Majhra
Sorry all... unfortunatly, I've had an actual death in the RL family - which changed priorities somewhat...

Such a shame Otto died so young, but he did have it comming...
Red-ROM
@ Majhre: sorry to hear that man.

@ all: I left a time gap in case anyone wanted to respond to the death or do anything(maybe harvest organs)

edit: man, we lost a reserve GM too maybe, Not that Majhre couldn't still step up if I start slacking
pbangarth
@Majhra: I've been there, buddy. My thoughts are with you. Come back when you can.
HugeC
My condolences Majhra. It goes without saying, but RL > PBP!
Sephiroth
I'm sorry, Majhra. Take your time if you wish to come back again.
HugeC
So how do we find out where Big Daddy Longlegs has gone to ground? Is that strictly a function of contacts, or is there a skill to roll?
Red-ROM
I'm short on time this morning,

@ ellipsis: you are about to die!!!

@ hugeC: both
HugeC
Heh, I was going to edit my post, because I went back to look at the IC post where Mr. J gave us a few leads already. My character wasn't there are the time though. Would it be OK to assume that information was passed on to him "off camera"?

What kind of roll is it if I want Thirty to go hang around that night club and make some discrete inquiries? Also, is there some kind of 24-hr store where I can pick up a concealable holster? I shoulda bought one in his initial gear but I forgot. nyahnyah.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (HugeC @ Aug 5 2010, 06:56 AM) *
Heh, I was going to edit my post, because I went back to look at the IC post where Mr. J gave us a few leads already. My character wasn't there are the time though. Would it be OK to assume that information was passed on to him "off camera"?

What kind of roll is it if I want Thirty to go hang around that night club and make some discrete inquiries? Also, is there some kind of 24-hr store where I can pick up a concealable holster? I shoulda bought one in his initial gear but I forgot. nyahnyah.gif

Your character got the brief with Big Daddy's info just like everyone else. Hanging out at the night club should probably be discussed with the group. you can go there, roll etiquette to blend in. roll con to get info without drawing attention, but who knows whats going on down there.
the concealable holster is legal, availability 2. If you have a SIN, you can pick one up at Kong-Wal Mart or Savers Central. If not, roll Charisma + Negotiations(2,12 hours) extended test to find it on the street. or bug your contact.
Red-ROM
Well, I have PM'ed Ellipsis. I'll give him until sometime tomorrow. We may end up with one less crew member. At least the meeeting with the Johnson is over. I don't think any of the characters can cope with another death on that boat.
HugeC
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 5 2010, 07:20 PM) *
If you have a SIN, you can pick one up at Kong-Wal Mart or Savers Central.

I have a fake SIN, so I guess I'll do that. It'll be in the post. Let me know if I need to roll the fake SIN rating or whatever. I won't go to the nightclub without others from the group. It's in Redmond after all!
Saint Sithney
I'm going to go ahead and start gathering some useful snooping gear. An old man in a lab coat with a laser pistol would cause too many problems for routine on-site backup. However a floating sniper rifle that can see and fire through walls wouldn't be too bad in a pinch..

I'm going to throw some social rolls in here.

A quick logic + intuition roll to see how sharp ozzy is feeling.
16d6.hits(5) → [4,1,2,3,1,1,4,6,1,6,5,3,4,2,4,4] = (3) meh.

and a composure roll to see how much shock he's in.
3d6.hits(5) → [2,4,4] = (0) well, he didn't glitch, so I guess he's his same old reality-dissociated self.

perception roll opposing disguise
10d6.hits(5) → [3,1,3,1,4,4,6,5,6,2] = (3) I suppose intimate knowledge of anatomy and the disruptive effects of explosions have let Ozzy see through Caper's disguise.
Sephiroth
When is sunrise in Seattle?
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Depends on the season (which, looking back through the IC posts, I couldn't determine). I'm not usually up early enough to see the sunrise, but in winter it stays dark til around 7:30 to 8. IIRC it's around 5:30 in the summer.
Saint Sithney
I wonder if they still use daylight savings nonsense in 2070..
Red-ROM
@ Ellipsis: Sorry about Caper, I totally encourage you to make up a new guy. you could probably get right back in the game at this rate

@ all: I PM'd Belvidere. Augmentin hasn't been on DS since July 22nd, and he didn't respond when Otto died. So I think our reserves have dried up. I'm going to open a new Recruitment post. and try to drum up some more cannon fodder
pbangarth
At this rate, it might be an idea for all of us to have a reserve character in the lineup!! dead.gif
Traul
Don't put too much hope on Belvidere: he hasn't shown up to GM his own game recently.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 7 2010, 01:52 PM) *
Don't put too much hope on Belvidere: he hasn't shown up to GM his own game recently.

this whole game was born out of my lack of faith in most posters in general. You want to throw a character in the mix?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 7 2010, 02:20 PM) *
At this rate, it might be an idea for all of us to have a reserve character in the lineup!! dead.gif

Thats a possibility. of course, you will probably end up with 2 characters in the game and have to post twice as much.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 6 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Depends on the season (which, looking back through the IC posts, I couldn't determine). I'm not usually up early enough to see the sunrise, but in winter it stays dark til around 7:30 to 8. IIRC it's around 5:30 in the summer.

I have totally slacked on dates, I randomly declared it to be September OOC a while back. but I don't think I put a day of the week or a year...

I think Friday, September 11th, 2071. does that work? Sunrise at roughly 7:30am. I'll start working it into the game.

I apologize for the lack of color in my posts. Life is pretty busy right now and the game itself has gotten half crazy trying to kill people and figure out how to bring new people in. I think my writing has suffered for it.
HugeC
It's all good dude! Hey, in case you missed it, I messaged a contact in my second-to-last post. I'mma fast forward to the next morning unless you wanna ping me with something to act on there.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (HugeC @ Aug 8 2010, 09:41 AM) *
It's all good dude! Hey, in case you missed it, I messaged a contact in my second-to-last post. I'mma fast forward to the next morning unless you wanna ping me with something to act on there.

I'm on it right now!
pbangarth
QUOTE (Ellipsis @ Jul 20 2010, 12:34 PM) *
11:01 El Viajero, Puget sound

"What an interesting group of characters we've got here! I suppose you'll all be calling me Caper." He shakes hands gingerly or nods to each in turn appropriately and offers a little wave to the strange bot sitting on the deck, apparently talking to itself... that's a little disconcerting. "My, hmmm specialty is getting in and getting out, blending in and never being seen if at all possible if ya catch my drift, I'm not gonna be all that fancy on the steel but I'll hold my own, and I'm not that wild behind a wheel but..." at this moment their benefactor enters the deck cutting short the rest of his response.

Hans slinks into a chair near the others and leans back in it watching and feeling a little sick owing nothing to the sea and everything to the steely eyed woman. He turns his head slightly to Otto when he speaks up, wasting no time mate, senor will probably love that mr. investigator...

Just a little prophetic.
Sephiroth
Data Search roll for nearby stores in Tacoma that carry commlink equipment: (Logic 6 + Data Search 2= 8d6= 3 hits
Summoning roll for spirit of man, Force 3, with optional power of Movement: (Magic 4 + Power Focus 4 + Conjuring 2= 10d6 = 6 HITS!

Force 3 = 3d6 = 0 hits0 hits

Drain roll: 2DV, Willpower 3 + Logic 6 = 5 hits = no drain

I do believe that is a critical success. rotate.gif

I'm having the spirit do a remote service or two, sustaining Concealment and Movement on me. If that uses two or three services, that's fine - I have 6 services available. spin.gif
Saint Sithney
Legworkin..

I want to do some Data Searches to see if I can pull up any news/info about the original Big Rig Theft (great opportunity to accidentally stumble across Caper's death?) the business where BDLL worked before, operating cranes, and Big Daddy Long Legs, himself. I figure a shipyard? Crane operator ought to have union records..
Okay, so here's a buttload of rolls. I'm going to run it at 15 dice (6 browse +4 skill +3 nanites +2 hotsim) since I figure news and membership information shouldn't be too Obscure. BDLL himself will get 13 dice on the roll though.
Here goes: Searching whole Matrix for record of Ares cargo hijack.
[ Spoiler ]
5 minutes of search looks like it.

Next Search: Records of BDLL's pre-crash employer and who might have worked there along with him (also checking who among them still has access to a dock crane.)
[ Spoiler ]
Another 5 minutes.

Final Search: Big Daddy Long Legs hisself.
[ Spoiler ]

Another 5 minutes to find out everything the open net says about BDLL.

OH BOY SHOPPING.
Quick question before I get my shopping list set. Could I use my Architecture skill to calculate the likely structure rating for a roof and the ceiling of a basic building?

Here is a roll: 6 Logic + 2 Cer boost + 3 Neocortical Nanites + 1 Skill
12d6.hits(5) → [1,2,1,6,3,1,5,5,6,1,6,6] = (6)
nice.

This is basic shopping list though.
MCT Fly-spy - ¥2000 - unrestricted, so I'll just up to Kennedy's Cheap electronics on 16th and Baker, assuming they'd have that in stock. Otherwise, a quick trip to the Everett Beacon Mall might could do it.
Vehicle Identification Sensor Software at rating 3 - ¥600 - Unrestricted also, but I'd like to buy through my contact Ol Softy just to avoid all that corporate spyware hassle.
Ultrawideband Radar Sensor at rating 2 (assuming that 10 structure is enough to see through most roof areas where a guy could store that much hardware.) - ¥1000 - Here's the restricted gear. Going for r2 since, at that price, it takes half the time to find it. Want to get this through Mission Control.

This should hopefully give us some magic eyes once we narrow down the location.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 8 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Data Search roll for nearby stores in Tacoma that carry commlink equipment: (Logic 6 + Data Search 2= 8d6= 3 hits
Summoning roll for spirit of man, Force 3, with optional power of Movement: (Magic 4 + Power Focus 4 + Conjuring 2= 10d6 = 6 HITS!

Force 3 = 3d6 = 0 hits0 hits

Drain roll: 2DV, Willpower 3 + Logic 6 = 5 hits = no drain

I do believe that is a critical success. rotate.gif

I'm having the spirit do a remote service or two, sustaining Concealment and Movement on me. If that uses two or three services, that's fine - I have 6 services available. spin.gif

ok, a spirit must stay within 400m of you or it counts as a remote service, in which case, you forfeit any further services. also, concealment power has a range of Line Of Sight as does movement, so you have to take the spirit with you. Saver's Central has the stuff you need.
Red-ROM
@ saint: I'll PM you what you find on BDLL. I imagine you could surmise the Structure rating of a building. In metagame terms, 13 for an average warehouse. fly spy takes 2 days to order(or roll negotiation + charisma, threshold 6, glitch on 1 & 2) to find it quicker. the vehicle ID software, ol softy has on hand and can let it go at 600.
Ultrawideband radar, roll negotiations + charisma (8, 1 day)It takes Mission control 2 days to get you one for 1,000.

Edit: I guess that r2 radar isn't good enough for structure 13 (the steel beams that frame a warehouse) do you want r3?
Grimm
Hello! I wanted to inquire about how newb friendly this particular game is. I've been playing pen and paper rpgs for about 15 years but I only played Shadowrun a couple of times, and that was 3rd ed about 10 years ago or so. I'd like to get involved in a couple games here as a player and GM (eventually) just want to make sure I won't be inconveniencing the GM or players as I learn mechanics. Thanks for your time.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 8 2010, 06:19 PM) *
I guess that r2 radar isn't good enough for structure 13 (the steel beams that frame a warehouse) do you want r3?

If it's going to be rating 3, I might as well go for broke and get rating 4. 2000¥ isn't a dealbreaker, but 4 days to get it might be. :-/

Oh well, Invest in the Future! Make it 4! Or... I could get 2 and just look for windows and such.. Fuggit! Both! I'll take the R2 in 2 days for ¥1000 and a r4 whenever he gets it for however much it is. Can never have too much UWB.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Grimm @ Aug 8 2010, 11:00 PM) *
Hello! I wanted to inquire about how newb friendly this particular game is. I've been playing pen and paper rpgs for about 15 years but I only played Shadowrun a couple of times, and that was 3rd ed about 10 years ago or so. I'd like to get involved in a couple games here as a player and GM (eventually) just want to make sure I won't be inconveniencing the GM or players as I learn mechanics. Thanks for your time.

This game has been taking all comers. I'm fairly new to 4th ed myself. I've got maybe a year under my belt. so go ahead and make a character. the only thing we're not friendly towards is posting in character less than twice a week. that'll get you killed smile.gif
Grimm
Not a problem. I've done PBP games before in the past so am familiar with the need to keep the game moving or else risk losing interest and players.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 9 2010, 01:59 AM) *
ok, a spirit must stay within 400m of you or it counts as a remote service, in which case, you forfeit any further services. also, concealment power has a range of Line Of Sight as does movement, so you have to take the spirit with you. Saver's Central has the stuff you need.

Well I'm stupid then. Feel free to have the spirit NPC give me sass and call me names for being stupid. I imagine it would inherit some of Jovan's HMHVV-induced superiority complex anyway.

I was under the impression that Line of Sight was required only for casting a spell/power, not for sustaining it, but it'd probably be better to take it with me anyway. Will you let it sustain the two powers from the astral after using them in the physical?

Also I must admit that I am kind of looking forward to being in a team with a large three-headed dog that speaks four or five languages, whenever Augmentin shows up. THAT will be strange.
Red-ROM
@ Sepiroth: hmm. you're right about the Line of sight thing being for casting. I got caught up in the remote service business. my bad.
HugeC
Rolls for the club -
Concealing his taser: Agility 4 + Palming 2 = 3 hits
Perception to find Cyrus and watch out for mooks looking to off him: Intuition 3 + Perception 3 + Improved Perception 2 = 4 hits

Also, does E.O.E. mean Eye of Eternity? I seem to recall that from somewhere, but maybe it isn't SR. I couldn't find it on the wiki. Anyway, can edit my IC post if that's the wrong name.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (HugeC @ Aug 9 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Rolls for the club -
Concealing his taser: Agility 4 + Palming 2 = 3 hits
Perception to find Cyrus and watch out for mooks looking to off him: Intuition 3 + Perception 3 + Improved Perception 2 = 4 hits

Also, does E.O.E. mean Eye of Eternity? I seem to recall that from somewhere, but maybe it isn't SR. I couldn't find it on the wiki. Anyway, can edit my IC post if that's the wrong name.

End of Earth, From SR4a. It doesn't really matter.
Sephiroth
Perception Test for the visible neighborhood/street: 6 INT + 3 Perception + 3 Actively Looking = 12d6 = 5 hits

I'm assuming partial light visibility, so no negative modifiers due to Low Light Vision.
Red-ROM
@ Pbangarth and Martin_D : You guys are getting low on days, I fell behind in updating the "Death clock" so maybe you didn't notice.

@ Sephiroth: You're clear, I'm not going to ambush you at the Wal-mart, unless you stop posting smile.gif

@ Grimm: You still interested?? got a character idea? We have an open spot!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012