Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Warlordtheft
Sephiroth or Red Rom---Does Zo hear Jovan's comments?

Sephiroth
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 3 2011, 09:33 PM) *
Sephiroth or Red Rom---Does Zo hear Jovan's comments?

Yes he does, sorry about the lack of clarity. Following Red-ROM's example with a watcher that talked to the team earlier, I am using regular font for manifesting communication. Italicized is spirit-summoner mental-link communication, and I think astral-only communication is too (but I've only used that once, when the astrally perceiving Professor first met Jovan face-to-astral-face, so I don't totally remember)
Notsoevildm
Just a heads up to the team. When Ferret is in full hotsim, he will normally only hear / respond to comms traffic (violet or yellow), unless it is a magical howl or someone shouting at him.
Notsoevildm
Ferret's commlink:
Response 4(2), Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Edit

Bunch of rolls :

Checking security logs (Phoenix Mall, CATco Tower East, Annex 3):
Data search 4 + Browse 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=3, 9d6.hits(5)=3, 9d6.hits(5)=5

Swap in Command, swap out Edit

Access / control cameras (Phoenix Mall, CATco Tower East, Annex 3):
Computer 4 + Command 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=1, 9d6.hits(5)=5, 9d6.hits(5)=1 - Mall and Annex are glitches, Mall particularly badly! Rigging is obviously not his thing. frown.gif
Sephiroth
@Red-ROM- is it ok if I assume that the astral visibility conditions are Barren (for background illumination) and Devoid (for aura noise), giving a total modifier of +3 before background count sets in to assensing and astral combat? There isn't any shadow clutter to worry about at this point, right?

3d6 = 1 hit, bringing the assensing roll to 4 hits...

Also, back at 10:42 where/when the rest of the team currently is, did Jovan have enough time to astra-run back to Rusty's safehouse and ask his spirit to materialize inside Ferret's van and shut off Amber's commlink? I think he'd be able to do it in two or three combat turns, which should be little enough time to not lose the ghouls when he astrally runs back.

EDIT: By the way, I thought you might find this useful as a GM tool .
Saint Sithney
Amber's commlink is as dead as she is. Remember, no Matrix in this zone?
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Apr 8 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Amber's commlink is as dead as she is. Remember, no Matrix in this zone?

I do remember, but her commlink is still technically on the @team mailing list, right? Can't anyone who comes into Signal range of her comm do a capture wireless traffic action on it, and from there trace the connections to the location of the rest of us?

also, Jovan is Natually Paranoid™, remember? wink.gif
Red-ROM
@ Acme: Your second to last post was 10 days ago. I normally give people a heads up, and some reminders, but I have been a little busy lately. So to be sporting about it. I'll give you the rest of the evening to post. Then Acme gets the Anvil out of the sky.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Apr 8 2011, 07:03 PM) *
@Red-ROM- is it ok if I assume that the astral visibility conditions are Barren (for background illumination) and Devoid (for aura noise), giving a total modifier of +3 before background count sets in to assensing and astral combat? There isn't any shadow clutter to worry about at this point, right?

3d6 = 1 hit, bringing the assensing roll to 4 hits...

Also, back at 10:42 where/when the rest of the team currently is, did Jovan have enough time to astra-run back to Rusty's safehouse and ask his spirit to materialize inside Ferret's van and shut off Amber's commlink? I think he'd be able to do it in two or three combat turns, which should be little enough time to not lose the ghouls when he astrally runs back.

EDIT: By the way, I thought you might find this useful as a GM tool .

sounds about right, The dog has a substantial magic, equal to your own. It's calm and unaugmented. and it is dual natured. I'm sure you could get back to Rusty's and have the spirit materialize and attemt to turn off the comm. the trick is, a watcher can't materialize, so it's either you or the Air elemental, and your clever spirit buddy will count this as a service. as far as the ghouls go, I'm sure the blimp will be on them momentarily
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 8 2011, 09:48 PM) *
the trick is, a watcher can't materialize, so it's either you or the Air elemental, and your clever spirit buddy will count this as a service.

That spirit may be extremely clever, but nosferatu are no slouches either.

QUOTE (Street Magic @ Spirit Services pg 95)
Physical tasks require services only if they are especially dangerous, complicated, or require the spirit's powers or paranatural abilities to complete. A spirit is fully capable of performing the task "Please hand me a soda" without the expenditure of a service, though it may not be willing to if the spirit has a particularly strained relationship with the conjurer. Even complicated tasks can be broken down into a series of simple tasks that don't individually use up services at the gamemaster's discretion.

Materialization doesn't count as a power when it comes to service expenditure, and if the spirit tries to say that turning off a technological device is complicated for an innately magical being, Jovan will call its bluff, because he's very much aware that this spirit is a genius. nyahnyah.gif And it is unlikely their relationship is strained, because Jovan has a policy of calculated (mild) generosity and tolerance towards his spirits, hermetic though he may be.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Apr 8 2011, 05:10 PM) *
I do remember, but her commlink is still technically on the @team mailing list, right? Can't anyone who comes into Signal range of her comm do a capture wireless traffic action on it, and from there trace the connections to the location of the rest of us?

also, Jovan is Natually Paranoid™, remember? wink.gif

Since she's not the central hub of the chat could be unsubscribed with a thought.
Red-ROM
ok, Acme has passed, sorry bud. You can make a new character and get back on the bench

@ Seth: you are up if you are interested

@ Sephiroth: i was going to continue the dog scene, but I thought I'd give you a chance to post your trip back to the car. The spirit would be using his materializing power, he could count it as a service (it's really up the the GM) I think a spirit of such power and intellect would find such medial tasks beneath him. However, if it saves time and effort on this current situation ,I'll give it to you. But this is the kind of thing that could strain a relationship. Ask any married couple smile.gif

@ Notso: you got one day left dude. I think the team would really miss you if you were to go right now.

@ Saint: I'm tying the blimp in with the post with Jovan and the dog, but I haven't quite got there yet. Also, If you have a Sat link up and running, would other matrix devices auto route traffic through the sat link? I'm not currently under that impression, but the thought occurred to me.

What else is going on?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 9 2011, 12:26 PM) *
Friday, Sept. 11, 2071, 10:42 PM, Cross Town Gas, Redmond

Another strange noise began as a chilly breeze picked up. A metallic whining overhead. The elf shaman peered up at the old sign outside the gas station. It swayed some, and showed the deterioration of age and neglect. Small metal fragments fell from the bottom to the ground. Acme turned towards the garage to head inside as the sign tipped from it's perch and fell to the ground with a sickening thud. The body of the elf giving little pause to it's course. Acme was suddenly gone. Only his limbs remained, twitching out from the wreckage.

Well, shit.
Acme
All right, that's fine, that's the rules of the game and I understand. I guess this just removes my last thing holding me to checking DS regularly though.
pbangarth
Sorry to see you go, buddy. Keep a toe in the pool.
pbangarth
Professor analyzes the building for other weaknesses:

LOG 5 + Civil Engineering 2 = 7 dice ==> 1 HIT
Notsoevildm
Post up, should keep me alive a little longer.
pbangarth
It appears from other threads that Seth is ill at the moment and out of contact for a couple of days.
Saint Sithney
Glyph is pretty much always around, but it feels like we're pretty close to something here. If it's a question of integrating a new player and moving ahead with what we've got, that's a tough choice.
pbangarth
I'm in games both with Glyph and with Seth. I'd be happy with either in this game. Either one of their PCs would be a solid addition, too.

Given the harsh reality of life and death in Post or Die, maybe the one ready when opportunity knocks should be the one who steps in. Sadly, I have little doubt another opportunity will arise.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 9 2011, 11:43 AM) *
@ Sephiroth: i was going to continue the dog scene, but I thought I'd give you a chance to post your trip back to the car. The spirit would be using his materializing power, he could count it as a service (it's really up the the GM) I think a spirit of such power and intellect would find such medial tasks beneath him. However, if it saves time and effort on this current situation ,I'll give it to you. But this is the kind of thing that could strain a relationship. Ask any married couple smile.gif

Thanks. Sorry for the delay in posting.
Seth
Hi people. Looking forwards to playing.

I have just finished a 3 day stint of air travel + flu, so I apologize for my tardy posting.

What is the best way for me to begin?
Notsoevildm
Ferret's commlink:
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Command

I assume I can get back into the main node on the same security account as before. For the mall's private node, do I need another access code?

Checking out the mall node: Computer 4 + Analyze 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=5 - usual stuff: firewall, IC, any active programs.

Hacking a security account if necessary (firewall rating + 3): Hacking 4 + Exploit 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=3, 9d6.hits(5)=3, 9d6.hits(5)=2 - gives the system a few attempts to get annoyed with me!

If he gets in without setting off any alarms, then check out the cameras: Computer 4 + Analyze 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=4
Seth
I've been reading the IC posts to get an idea what's going on (guided by RedROM's list of interesting places). I have to admit that I am confused: a lot is going on, and like many shadowrun jobs there is a lot of nasty grubby details. When I am recruited, could I request a briefing that says something like:
  • Our job is to recover a parcel
  • We think the parcel is <here> or We think that <xxx> knows where the parcel is
  • We have identified <this opposition> is also interested in the parcel or We think that <x> number of unknown oppositions are interested in the parcel
  • Our current goal is ...
  • Our current biggest threat is...

Red-ROM
@ Seth: yeah, that's a good Idea. I'm gonna start working you in here by this weekend hopefully.

I should also update the map and make a few clarifications. I need to roll a fear attack on Jovan too. I wrote it up, but I haven't gotten it together yet. I worked 14 hours today and This is the only post I'm going to manage. sorry.

@ Notso: the mall had the fire alarm.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 12 2011, 09:31 PM) *
@ Seth: yeah, that's a good Idea. I'm gonna start working you in here by this weekend hopefully.

I should also update the map and make a few clarifications. I need to roll a fear attack on Jovan too. I wrote it up, but I haven't gotten it together yet. I worked 14 hours today and This is the only post I'm going to manage. sorry.

Do you require an initiative roll from me?

And my god, man, I'm impressed you're still awake. frown.gif
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 13 2011, 04:31 AM) *

Bugger! Will correct post.

Checking security logs for when the alerts were triggered:

Computer 4 + Browse 3 + Hotsim 2 = 9d6.hits(5)=4, 9d6.hits(5)=3
Red-ROM
@ Sephiroth: yes, I guess you should roll initiative. here is the fear attack: 4hits vs. your willpower
Dog's init: 11
ghouls' init: 9 and 9

@ Notso: You're in the mall node with no alarm, security level account. the alarms have been going since last Friday around 4 a.m.

@ Seth: story in nutshell:

-objective: recover 3 tractor trailors of Ares goods (stolen by Big Daddy Long Legs and fellow runners) and get them to a ship in Everett by Thursday.

- Big Daddy Long Legs is believed to be working out of an abandoned CATco site in the Barrens. His team and their whereabouts are unknown. Why they abandoned their mission is unknown.

- The 12 Vipers , a mercenary group, is also missing cargo (different cargo) from Big Daddy, and have clashed swords with the team.(the team currently has one held prisoner in Oswald's rover).

- Jonathan is a ghoul who was seen leaving the Hotel of the woman who is acting as Liason for the Johnson. He is also known to have been recruiting ghouls of lesser mental capacity from other ghoul organizations. Which seems to tie into the fact that this facility the team is aproaching is crawling with ghouls.

-current goal: explore abandoned CATco site and try to find Big Daddy and/or the Missing cargo.

-current biggest threats include: wandering ghouls and magical dogs. unstable buildings covered in toxic chemicals. Unknown security measures and booby traps put in place by B.D.L.L.

Seth
Thanks RedRom, that summary makes reading the posts must easier.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 13 2011, 05:43 PM) *
@ Sephiroth: yes, I guess you should roll initiative. here is the fear attack: 4hits vs. your willpower

Blimp on the scene?

In case it is, digital init: Response 3 + int 5 +1 hotsim +1 custom interface + 10d6.hits(5) → [3,5,5,2,3,6,5,3,4,1] = (4) =14
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 13 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Jovan's initiative is Int 6 x2 - Wound mod 1 = 11d6 = 16. Just so you know, there's a typo in your input for the ghouls' initiative rolls that made InvisCast not count hits on them.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 13 2011, 08:43 PM) *
@ Seth: story in nutshell:

-objective: recover 3 tractor trailors of Ares goods (stolen by Big Daddy Long Legs and fellow runners) and get them to a ship in Everett by Thursday.

- Big Daddy Long Legs is believed to be working out of an abandoned CATco site in the Barrens. His team and their whereabouts are unknown. Why they abandoned their mission is unknown.

- The 12 Vipers , a mercenary group, is also missing cargo (different cargo) from Big Daddy, and have clashed swords with the team.(the team currently has one held prisoner in Oswald's rover).

- Jonathan is a ghoul who was seen leaving the Hotel of the woman who is acting as Liason for the Johnson. He is also known to have been recruiting ghouls of lesser mental capacity from other ghoul organizations. Which seems to tie into the fact that this facility the team is aproaching is crawling with ghouls.

-current goal: explore abandoned CATco site and try to find Big Daddy and/or the Missing cargo.

-current biggest threats include: wandering ghouls and magical dogs. unstable buildings covered in toxic chemicals. Unknown security measures and booby traps put in place by B.D.L.L.

Forgot to add random thor shot or signage violation to the list of current threats.

grinbig.gif
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 14 2011, 02:43 AM) *
@ Notso: You're in the mall node with no alarm, security level account. the alarms have been going since last Friday around 4 a.m.

Ferret's commlink:
Programs running: Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Browse, Command

Check any cameras still working inside the mall, particularly looking for parking levels or cameras near where the fire was reported.
Computer + Command + Hotsim = 9d6.hits(5)=5

Are there any video records linked to the alarm?
Computer + Browse + Hotsim = 9d6.hits(5)=4
pbangarth
Warlordtheft, it will take me some time to assemble Professor's response to Zo's questions. But I'm on it.
Saint Sithney
and the Zo/Oz confusion begins...
pbangarth
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Apr 16 2011, 01:52 AM) *
and the Zo/Oz confusion begins...

Fixed it. Tired and sleepy last night.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 16 2011, 10:28 AM) *
Fixed it. Tired and sleepy last night.

You are not the first! Is it Zo scatter.gif or Oz?

Hi RED-ROM! (hint hint)
pbangarth
It's Zo from Zurich Orbital, isn't it?
Sephiroth
Complex action - Fear power on the dog. Magic 7 + Willpower 3 + Power Focus 4 -Wound 1 = 13d6 = 4 hits as well.

At the same time, Jovan moves at his walking rate of 100 m/turn through the walls of one of the surrounding buildings, offering him Good Cover against the dog's ranged combat roll. If the dog fails to be affected by his Fear, Jovan gets 3 Willpower + 4 Cover = 7 d6 = 1 hit, using Edge to reroll = 3 hits total. =/

Will post this in the morning.
Red-ROM
@ all: I apologize for my absence this weekend. Everyone is sick here, including the 2 year old. I would have understood if someone had taken the helm, because I'm pretty sure I'm behind in my posting.

@ Seth: I'll try to PM with you about getting into the scene. it's at a tough point, and the high turnover rate is getting taxing on the story (or maybe just on my brain).

@ Sephiroth: ok, I was playing fast and loose with the rules a little bit. I had posted the presence of the dog. And your next post was to chat with the team, not run for cover. So I was giving the dog a Pre-round attack. Now you look to be operating under the assumption that you have the higher initiative, and hid from an attack you didn't see coming. While I believe you are following the rules of combat, and I am not. It isn't meshing with what I'm reading in the story. So as a compromise, I'll give you the first move , and granting the dog the critter power, Immunity to fear. It's fitting with his nature and within the rules (Characters should never be absolutely certain of the capabilities of a critter, especially awakend ones. )

@ Saint: The blimp is there.

@ all again: I am struggling with the range of engagement (as I always do in Shadowrun), so I apologize to the Phys ads sitting in the gas station while the rigger/ hacker / mage try to do everything from afar. It happens all the time.
Sephiroth
Ahhhh. I think that was due to a misunderstanding on my part. I believe you had mentioned that you were planning on tying in the blimp to the post with the dog, but had not done so yet at the time, so I was waiting on you a little for info on the blimp's place in what was happening. Looking back through the IC posts, I see now that I missed your post about the dog and blimp - you probably posted just as I was starting my post about turning off Amber's commlink, and I've been trying to write up some plans of action for Jovan, and things were a little scattered since Acme had just died. My mistake.

I'm also behind in my posting, and I have my post just about finished now, so I will post it for the moment for the sake of not dying. Is it alright if I take this opportunity to run for cover now? I fully expect I will have to edit my post later anyway.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 17 2011, 02:37 PM) *
@ all again: I am struggling with the range of engagement (as I always do in Shadowrun), so I apologize to the Phys ads sitting in the gas station while the rigger/ hacker / mage try to do everything from afar. It happens all the time.

You're ok. It happens, sometime where some players shine and others twiddle their metephorical thumbs. This is also a multi block encounter.

? Regarding flashback----how often should I roll for that. One every time a ghoul shows up, once a "defined scene" or every time I loose sight of a ghoul and then run into more...

finally regarding zo's legwork roll for K-P
6 Dice total, 3 from attributes, 1 from skill, and 2 from loyalty
6d6.hits(5) → [5,3,5,6,5,2] = (4)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2985744/
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 17 2011, 07:13 PM) *
Regarding flashback----how often should I roll for that. One every time a ghoul shows up, once a "defined scene" or every time I loose sight of a ghoul and then run into more...

I'd think the flashback would be more of the nature of a ghoul snacking down on someone than just existing. Maybe if they get close enough that you can hear, see, and smell them that the memory comes back?

Otherwise, it's like you took that quality to specifically be rendered useless in your primary role.
pbangarth
Professor beefing himself up with Attribute Boost for REA and AGI:

Magic 5 + Power Focus 4 + Attribute Boost 1 = 10 dice

REA: 2 HITS ==> REA 5, lasts 4 combat rounds

AGI: 5 HITS ==> AGI 8, lasts 10 combat rounds

I'll try to keep the number of rounds gone by straight, and do Drain resistance when necessary (with 9 dice, 1 hit should be little trouble, or I can do the 4:1 thing if that makes it easier, Red-ROM), and also try to keep the Boosts going.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 16 2011, 08:31 PM) *
It's Zo from Zurich Orbital, isn't it?

Yes. That would be why.
ammulder
I've got an addition to the reserve list -- a nondescript weapons man who goes by "Ferrman".

[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet

[ Spoiler ]

Contacts

[ Spoiler ]

Home Sweet Home

[ Spoiler ]
Red-ROM
QUOTE (ammulder @ Apr 18 2011, 04:37 PM) *
I've got an addition to the reserve list -- a nondescript weapons man who goes by "Ferrman".

[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet

[ Spoiler ]

Contacts

[ Spoiler ]

Home Sweet Home

[ Spoiler ]

cool, I'll look it over and get you on the list as soon as I can. I'm backed up a little bit, and still trying to work someone into the story right now
ammulder
No problem
Seth
Well people I am looking for to playing with you all. I am starting in "hot pursuit" of someone else, so I will be arriving fully buffed and loaded for bear.

[ Spoiler ]

I am hoping to surprise the little doggie: 6 successes http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2987667/

I'll take four successes on the riding the bike (skill 4, attribute 10, handling 2). I'm guessing that ramming rules apply, but I haven't use these much myself. The bike has body 6, I guess that I can get into the body*2 damage range, so the rammed "vehicle" takes 12 physical, and the rammer takes 6 with half impact armour counting. I soak 3 hits , so am fairly badly scratched, but I will heal it quickly.

Saint Sithney
Seth, I'm assuming you're using a service to have the task spirit possess and heal you and taking First Aid as its optional Power? Don't forget the -1 for indoor conditions and the -1 for the wound penalty. 5 hits is still enough to heal the 3 boxes of stun though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012