Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Sephiroth
For future reference, is Jovan allowed to use Infiltration in the astral? If so, is he allowed to default to Logic (the astral equivalent of Agility) for it?
Saint Sithney
Well, page 191 of the Core mentions that the two cases when Astral Perception are called for are when Observing in Detail and when someone is trying to hide. That certainly suggests it's an option.

And Astral Forms as described on p193 says that any activity which would normally rely on Physical attributes, rely on parallel Mental attributes instead.

Martin_DeVries_Institute
I'm sorry I haven't been around much guys. I had a family emergency come up--like, hold vigil around the bed type emergency. I haven't had the opportunity, nor the heart, to get on and make a post. Looks like Heka's gonna pop his clogs tonight because I'm just on for a moment to let you guys know that I didn't just straight ditch the game. wink.gif Just RL poking its ugly head in. Once things calm down here I'll observe and maybe possibly post up another character if Red will have me.
pbangarth
My heart goes out to you, MDI. I've been there myself. We'll be waiting for you.

The Chinese have a saying, "This too shall pass."
Saint Sithney
It would be nice if we could have a Post or be Hospitalized, option. Sort of a "freeze this guy for later" thing..

Really, all you need to buffer up for another two days is an "I'm okay" post. frown.gif
Acme
Martin, believe me when I can say I sympathize for your problems. I'm actually literally going through the same thing myself with my mom, and it's looking like it's all over but the waiting. I should be fine for posting, as I'm leaning on this to be a distraction, but I understand what you're going through.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Aug 27 2010, 07:59 PM) *
I'm sorry I haven't been around much guys. I had a family emergency come up--like, hold vigil around the bed type emergency. I haven't had the opportunity, nor the heart, to get on and make a post. Looks like Heka's gonna pop his clogs tonight because I'm just on for a moment to let you guys know that I didn't just straight ditch the game. wink.gif Just RL poking its ugly head in. Once things calm down here I'll observe and maybe possibly post up another character if Red will have me.

That sux man. You're welcome back any time.
Acme
I'll have a post up for you tonight, Red.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Acme @ Aug 27 2010, 10:22 PM) *
I'll have a post up for you tonight, Red.

ok, it might take some doing to work you in right now, but I think the group is getting used to newcommers
Acme
Well, if worse comes to worse, we can do some one on one stuff until you find an appropriate spot. Obviously you can't shoehorn him into a scene in progress, so we can see what to do.
Acme
(DP, sorry)

As you can tell, I'm the type that figures the totem and shaman should have conversations as well. As such, I'll be using this color with italics to represent Coyote's speech.
Notsoevildm
My condolences Martin. Hope to see you back with us soon.
Red-ROM
@ Seph: yes, I believe and shadowing work on the Astral. Using the corresponding mental attribute also makes sense. So we'll go with that. Just remember, If it works for you, it works for them. Checking through the Motel. There are a lot of Mundane auras. The room Oswald suspects as the target contains a man who is in fairly good health considering the area. He has some skin damage from radiation, but nothing serious. He's pretty worried. He's sleeping, but his dreams must be troubled. One of his legs is a dark shadow with only the faintest glow of life. Most of the other souls here are sleeping, and their emotions vary by whatever they're dreaming of. The first floor has a few folks that are awake. theses guys have signs of implants and have some kind of stimulent pumping through their system. can you bring yourself up to the current timeline?

@ hugeC and Pbangarth: you're right around the corner from the hotel, so feel free to arrive on the scene, I guess we have the Biker coming out, that might change things
Sephiroth
Best of wishes, Martin. I hope it works out for you soon.

QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 28 2010, 10:21 AM) *
@ Seph: yes, I believe and shadowing work on the Astral. Using the corresponding mental attribute also makes sense. So we'll go with that. Just remember, If it works for you, it works for them. Checking through the Motel. There are a lot of Mundane auras. The room Oswald suspects as the target contains a man who is in fairly good health considering the area. He has some skin damage from radiation, but nothing serious. He's pretty worried. He's sleeping, but his dreams must be troubled. One of his legs is a dark shadow with only the faintest glow of life. Most of the other souls here are sleeping, and their emotions vary by whatever they're dreaming of. The first floor has a few folks that are awake. theses guys have signs of implants and have some kind of stimulent pumping through their system. can you bring yourself up to the current timeline?

Of course. I'll do it in one big post later. It's an excellent opportunity to bind my elemental and summon another. Is Jovan able to order hermetic ritual materials over the Matrix and have them delivered to his home, and if so, how long would that take?

Also. Is he able to pick up on what race Oswald's target is (e.g. troll, possibly BDLL, vs human, possibly the one Ferret saw leave the hotel)?

Also. May I use the optional rule on page 10 of Digital Grimoire to attune a watcher to the target's aura before Jovan returns home?
pbangarth
Given the timing of Jovan's last action, I assume he will tell Oswald about what he has seen inside the hotel? Also, will projected Jovan be gone by the time Professor, who can perceive astrally, shows up at around 09:30? I suspect so, which is too bad (though good for Jovan's plan, I think), because it would be fun to have Professor react to the astral aura of a vampire, especially a complex one such as Jovan's. Even more so given the current state of Professor's mind!
( I sort of bought him a couple of dice on a Composure test.)
pbangarth
HugeC, Jovan did mention in his first message to the YachtClub link that he is a mage. I think we all have access to that, as we were using it earlier to communicate. So Thirty should catch on that we have another mage.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 28 2010, 03:02 PM) *
Given the timing of Jovan's last action, I assume he will tell Oswald about what he has seen inside the hotel? Also, will projected Jovan be gone by the time Professor, who can perceive astrally, shows up at around 09:30? I suspect so, which is too bad (though good for Jovan's plan, I think), because it would be fun to have Professor react to the astral aura of a vampire, especially a complex one such as Jovan's. Even more so given the current state of Professor's mind!
( I sort of bought him a couple of dice on a Composure test.)

More fun than meeting that complex aura in person? rotfl.gif

Jovan can't stay that long anyway, as his astral form would die at 8 AM or so.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 28 2010, 12:10 PM) *
More fun than meeting that complex aura in person? rotfl.gif
Probably, at least at first. But you never know what Professor has seen in his travels.
HugeC
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 28 2010, 11:26 AM) *
HugeC, Jovan did mention in his first message to the YachtClub link that he is a mage. I think we all have access to that, as we were using it earlier to communicate. So Thirty should catch on that we have another mage.

If you are referring to Thirty's thoughts in my most recent post, he was thinking about the magical support with he and Professor at the moment. smile.gif
pbangarth
Yeah, I figured that out right after I posted. Duh.
pbangarth
I'm moving today. Should be up and running by this evening.
Saint Sithney
Okay, so, concerning the bike chase, I'll throw up a vehicle test for lining up a shot, a sensor test for Active Targeting, and I'll take the shot on queue.

Vehicle Test: Command 6 +2 Piloting +1 Comlink Optimization +2 Code Slinger +2 hotsim -1 operating from VR (I'm assuming this action is too heavy for the nanites to help) = 12d6.hits(5) → [2,3,4,4,6,4,4,3,5,2,5,2] = (3)

Sensor test: Sensors 6 +2 Perception +3 Attention Coprocessor = 11d6.hits(5) → [1,3,4,5,3,5,5,1,4,5,3] = (4)
Active targeting so makes up for the lack of smartlink bonuses...

Derp. Forgot the -3 for targeting an electric vehicle. I can assume it's electric or otherwise harder to target than a regular car, yeah? So, 3 or 4 hits, deciding on what you say ROM. Oh, and potential vision impairment and what have you. Let me know how it counts for when I go to fire. smile.gif

BTW, I was assuming that the active targeting covers using the image magnification to nullify distance modifiers, but I'll go with whatever you say on the matter.
Notsoevildm
Guess I should make a driving test to follow the biker: Reaction (4) + Pilot (2) + Handling (0) = 6d6.hits(5)=3 - Ferret might not be a great van driver but he obviously knows these roads!

While it's probably difficult not to be obvious that I'm following him, I'd like to try if I can. However, I couldn't see anything specific in the rules about shadowing a vehicle, except maybe upping the success threshold on the driving test.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Aug 29 2010, 08:23 AM) *
Guess I should make a driving test to follow the biker: Reaction (4) + Pilot (2) + Handling (0) = 6d6.hits(5)=3 - Ferret might not be a great van driver but he obviously knows these roads!

While it's probably difficult not to be obvious that I'm following him, I'd like to try if I can. However, I couldn't see anything specific in the rules about shadowing a vehicle, except maybe upping the success threshold on the driving test.

I think shadowing is shadowing, and is probably used when driving as much as it is on foot, if not more
Red-ROM
@ Seph: I guess you were waiting for some input before you posted...

Binding materials online, yes, but having it delivered bumps the cost +10%, how long it takes is on p. 312 in SR4a
its an extended test with the interval based on the cost,

Target is human

yes you can attune wacher spirits
Acme
Hey Red, you want me to keep posting or just wait? If necessary I can even fix the timestamp.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 30 2010, 12:58 AM) *
@ Seph: I guess you were waiting for some input before you posted...

Binding materials online, yes, but having it delivered bumps the cost +10%, how long it takes is on p. 312 in SR4a
its an extended test with the interval based on the cost,

Target is human

yes you can attune wacher spirits

Wonderful, thank you. Barring unusual circumstances, Jovan will no longer be in the past as of tomorrow (it's too late here to post tonight, my apologies).
Saint Sithney
And now, the shot.

Initiating Combat:
Command 6 +3 Gunnery +2 Codeslinger +2 Hotsim +1 Comlink optimization +3 Active Targeting = 17d6.hits(5) → [6,6,2,1,4,6,1,4,4,2,1,3,1,4,1,3,4] = (3) geez. At least, on the bright side, you could subtract 11 dice worth of negative modifiers and I'd not lose a hit.

So, that's 8P -3AP + 1DV from Explosive ammo +3 hits. Here's to hoping 12P is enough. If he doesn't go down, I've got more bullets.
Sephiroth
Wait... do binding materials count as controlled items on the black market, which is what that extended test is for? They have an availability rating, yes, but they are also legal items...
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 29 2010, 11:39 PM) *
Wait... do binding materials count as controlled items on the black market, which is what that extended test is for? They have an availability rating, yes, but they are also legal items...

If you read the description of Standard goods at the top of the page, it specifically describes them as items with no availability, so even though you can buy magical goods legally, they come from specialty shops that may have to order what you need. plus, If you buy it legally, there will be a data trail. And I also doubt there are legal venders that will deliver it to your house in less than a day. I kind of doubt you can get the materials you need in 5 hours. sorry. and even if you could, the binding ritual takes 1 hour per force
Red-ROM
DId you know the average wait time for a spot in this game is roughly 2 weeks?
pbangarth
Here's some Perception rolls and Assensing rolls if you need them for our progress to the target room.

Perception: INT 4 + Perception 5 - astral perception 2 = 7 dice
2 HITS, 3 HITS, 2 HITS

Assensing: INT 4 + Assensing 5 = 9 dice
2 HITS, 1 HIT, 3 HITS
Notsoevildm
ROM: does the biker go down?

If he does I pull over behind him, grab gun and plastic restraints and hop out after him.

If he looks like he is going to regain control, I am happy to give him a nudge:
[ Spoiler ]
HugeC
Infiltration roll while sneaking up to the door: Agility 4 + Infiltration 2 = 3 hits

Perception roll to listen at the door before entering: Intuition 3 + Perception 3 + Improved Perception 2 = 3 hits

Infiltration roll to try / open the door quietly: Agility 4 + Infiltration 2 = ZERO hits! (but not a glitch)

If the door is locked, may as well try to bash it down; let me know what to roll, Red (or you can roll for me).
pbangarth
Ooh! Sneaky, runner stuff. I'm so excited!
Red-ROM
well, I was slowing down to give Sephiroth a chance to catch up, since he would probably be on scene in the astral, but the story seems to be progressing without me smile.gif Looks like I'll have to get on the ball
HugeC
Guess me and pbangarth need to stop surfing the web at work. nyahnyah.gif
Red-ROM
@ Saint: Is a "Sensor test" an actual "perception test"? or is it just using the perception attribute?

When remote controlling a drone(sr4a 245) It says to replace your perception with the drones sensors, should you roll Sensors x2 or just a straight sensor roll ? It aslo says its a Matrix action. does that make it a matrix perception test(with no attention coprocessor)?

Not that any of this will change the outcome of the biker, I just want to clarify some things
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 28 2010, 08:02 AM) *
Given the timing of Jovan's last action, I assume he will tell Oswald about what he has seen inside the hotel?

Don't forget this! Presumably he lets me know what's up and I've got that information ready for you guys.

4-5 gangers on tweak in bottom floor lobby. One target who has a cyberleg.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 30 2010, 07:53 PM) *
@ Saint: Is a "Sensor test" an actual "perception test"? or is it just using the perception attribute?

When remote controlling a drone(sr4a 245) It says to replace your perception with the drones sensors, should you roll Sensors x2 or just a straight sensor roll ? It aslo says its a Matrix action. does that make it a matrix perception test(with no attention coprocessor)?

Not that any of this will change the outcome of the biker, I just want to clarify some things

Yeah, I sort of wanted to hash this with you too.

I wouldn't think that it's a matrix perception test, because the trideo feed isn't a matrix object in that it isn't a bunch of code represented by a metaphorical object. Identifying the sensor feed as a sensor feed would be matrix perception, if I was in an unfamiliar system with stealthed or encrypted objects, but then it's just a vis feed.

As to the rules concerning the targeting, they're in the Vehicle Combat section, so they, by default, didn't get much editor love.
p171 - Active Targeting
[ Spoiler ]

p171 - Sensor Test
[ Spoiler ]

As to replacing Perception with the Drone's Sensors, on the Common Rigger/Drone Tests table on p247, It lists it as Sensor + Perception. So, I figure it uses your regular perception skill, but replaces your hardware (Intuition) with the Drone's hardware (Sensor).

I can totally understand wanting to try and reduce the effect of targeting. It's like a teamwork test to shoot a guy (well, it is -3 to target people,) and, unlike a take aim action, the bonus sticks until the target can shake the lock.

Riggers are scary! eek.gif
Saint Sithney
derp.

quote != edit
HugeC
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 30 2010, 10:55 PM) *
4-5 gangers on tweak in bottom floor lobby. One target who has a cyberleg.

Doh! I dimly recalled reading that once you mentioned it, but couldn't find it in the IC thread. Finally found it in OOC! Probably should not have assumed sneaking all the way to the entrance to the guy's room, but there's always the edit button! Let us know, Red.
Red-ROM
yea, I was going to mention that, but it's gonna make for a funny situation.

@ Saint: I agree that its not "matrix perception". I really don't feel like it should be a "perception test" at all. Its a sensor test. what does perception have to do with it? anyway just another example of cross refrencing confusion. I think your right , and I have no problem with the power of active targeting, but the attention coprocessor seems like it shouldn't apply (again, this shouldn't be a perception test, but what can you do). So its all good, I'm almost done posting this madness
pbangarth
That was a nice gift, red-ROM. Thanks. Of course, we will have to walk out, too.
Red-ROM
you guys kind of wrote yourself past the situation. so I did waht I could, it does make it interesting though

edit:

@ Acme: I was reading your back story/ description you mentioned having cyber eyes, but I don't see that on your character sheet (you also have 6 essence wich leads me to believe something got changed somewhere)
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 30 2010, 10:58 PM) *
you guys kind of wrote yourself past the situation. so I did waht I could, it does make it interesting though
Sorry. You may have noticed in another game we share on DS that I tend to get things going even as a player. I will try to reign in my enthusiasm.
Sephiroth
My apologies. The difficulty in procuring binding materials in a timely fashion stymied my previous plan for Jovan between 4 AM and the present. I've been pouring over various runner tactical threads on dumpshock and Xanatos and intelligence trope examples for at least 4 hours, trying to get myself into nosferatu-plotting-mode. Cuz nosferatus are the kinds of fellows that outthink and outwait their enemies an stuff.

It turns out that RPing as someone much smarter than you is really hard.

sleepy.gif

Here's my roll for that Watcher...
10d6.hits(5) → [2,6,4,6,6,4,6,1,3,1] = (4)

I wish there was some way I could spend the 5 hours doing something more productive than playing chess with my elemental...

Also I will post when I have gotten sleep. My mind moves like molasses at 2:30 in the morning, and I suck at writing when my mind is moving like molasses. I am sorry.
Acme
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 30 2010, 08:58 PM) *

edit:

@ Acme: I was reading your back story/ description you mentioned having cyber eyes, but I don't see that on your character sheet (you also have 6 essence wich leads me to believe something got changed somewhere)

Aha, you're right. The description is wrong, I apologize.
Acme
And sorry for the multi-post, but his usual armor, minus casting the spell, is a Lined Coat. His stuff is fixed including an error in the knowledges. I apologize for all the errors. I think in the excitement of working for a game I rushed him without double-checking.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Aug 30 2010, 08:48 PM) *
yea, I was going to mention that, but it's gonna make for a funny situation.

@ Saint: I agree that its not "matrix perception". I really don't feel like it should be a "perception test" at all. Its a sensor test. what does perception have to do with it? anyway just another example of cross refrencing confusion. I think your right , and I have no problem with the power of active targeting, but the attention coprocessor seems like it shouldn't apply (again, this shouldn't be a perception test, but what can you do). So its all good, I'm almost done posting this madness

Right on. I'll do that from here out. I suppose the feed form a sensor bank is considerably different from just something like regular specs since it combines range finders, radar and vision. I just figured that since it uses the Perception skill, it would benefit from Perception boosters. I did stay away from Vision enhancement mods on the drones camera though since it seemed like overkill. Would you think that they would help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012