Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 05:53 AM) *
Before responding to Ms. Johnson, I thought I'd look over our IC posts. Can it be true? None of us asked the Johnsons for any info they had on the other members of BDLL's team. Only that suggestion of magic. They hired the people didn't they? But we have no names, descriptions, skills... nada. Am I missing something? What the %#^%# were we thinking?

Ferret kind of assumed that the team alread had all the available information and he was hungry for the work so was maybe too quick to accept the deal
Saint Sithney
Oswald also asked about potential opposition. Not a specific thing I suppose.

I could easily see Johnson's reluctance to give up the previous team's identity as a matter of professional ethics.
I mean, would Jovan have worked for a person who gives up other runners? Hell no. Johnson gives up any runner (besides the target,) and s/he's suddenly lost all credibility.

I suppose this is as good a place as any to put a First Aid roll.
8 logic + 4 skill + 3 nanites + 6 medkit (assuming that's what Ferret has if not 4 dice and I have to use the Valkyrie.) = 21 dice.
Cap at 20d6.hits(5) → [2,6,3,5,2,5,3,5,3,1,6,3,2,1,6,2,3,4,2,1] = (6) edge reroll (assuming edge allows me to bypass the "highest skill" healing limit on first aid) 14d6.hits(5) → [1,2,6,1,6,1,4,2,2,5,5,1,3,1] = (4)

So, either 8 boxes healed past the 2pt threshold using edge, or 4 points without it.
Either way, not a bad start for a few seconds of work.
Notsoevildm
Note: my medkit is only rating 3 - mainly because that was the default rating in earlier editions of SR.

Checking out the vehicle registration database

Inside Ferret's head:
Response 4, Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Spoof, Edit (-1 Response)

Scan the node:
Computer (4) + Analyze (3) + Hot SIM (2) = 9d6.hits(5)=4 - Firewall rating, System rating, Programs running, Analyze rating.

Probing the node: Extended test (1 hr interval in VR, threshold = System + Firewall + 6 for an admin account).
Hacking (4) + Exploit (3) + Hot SIM (2) = 9d6.hits(5)=2, 9d6.hits(5)=4, 9d6.hits(5)=2, 9d6.hits(5)=0 - that's 8 hits over 4 hours. By that time the guys should have finished the interrogation and Ferret will be hungry again!
pbangarth
Thanks guys, especially Sephiroth. My search-fu doesn't match Professor's, I guess. Kowing this makes me feel much better, though.
pbangarth
Damn. With the 20 dice cap, adding Professor's First Aid as a team test with Oswald is useless.

frown.gif
HugeC
Woops! I'll edit my last IC post a bit since I didn't see pbangarth's most recent before I hit send.

Edit: OK, fixed it.

Edit2: And I decided to go back to comms! OK, no more edits I promise! nyahnyah.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Sep 16 2010, 07:43 AM) *
Note: my medkit is only rating 3 - mainly because that was the default rating in earlier editions of SR.

Checking out the vehicle registration database

Inside Ferret's head:
Response 4, Signal 3, Firewall 6, System 4
Stealth, Analyze, Exploit, Spoof, Edit (-1 Response)

Scan the node:
Computer (4) + Analyze (3) + Hot SIM (2) = 9d6.hits(5)=4 - Firewall rating, System rating, Programs running, Analyze rating.

Probing the node: Extended test (1 hr interval in VR, threshold = System + Firewall + 6 for an admin account).
Hacking (4) + Exploit (3) + Hot SIM (2) = 9d6.hits(5)=2, 9d6.hits(5)=4, 9d6.hits(5)=2, 9d6.hits(5)=0 - that's 8 hits over 4 hours. By that time the guys should have finished the interrogation and Ferret will be hungry again!

Ok, question. How much can you tell about a Node that you are not subscribed to? I can see firewall and the like, but the programs that are running? can 1 hit on a matrix perception give you a list of all running programs on a nexus? this is without even logging on.
also, given a R4 firewall and System of 3, 4hours won't even find you the exploit you're looking for(13 hits) this could put a kink in posting. or maybe just some more time juggling, I guess the interrogation could take a while, and we could do some matrix stuff IC. just thinking out loud. Anyone got some experience with the matrix they'd like to share?
pbangarth
I suspect the interrogation will be over in way less than four hours. We may just interrupt Ferret, not knowing what he is doing.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Sep 16 2010, 05:43 AM) *

By the roll, 3 dice wouldn't have mattered anyway.
~*Magic Fingers*~

So ROM, should I consider the edge spent and the guy pretty well patched? If Edge won't let me heal more than the 4 points my skill affords, then the original roll is my max anyway. Maybe it wouldn't on account of it was a reroll instead of an increase? I'm happy with whatever you rule.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 16 2010, 07:17 PM) *
Ok, question. How much can you tell about a Node that you are not subscribed to? I can see firewall and the like, but the programs that are running? can 1 hit on a matrix perception give you a list of all running programs on a nexus? this is without even logging on.
also, given a R4 firewall and System of 3, 4hours won't even find you the exploit you're looking for(13 hits) this could put a kink in posting. or maybe just some more time juggling, I guess the interrogation could take a while, and we could do some matrix stuff IC. just thinking out loud. Anyone got some experience with the matrix they'd like to share?

Well, I could imagine a situation where you would be able to trick a machine into giving up program information. For example an authentication call out. The node receives a signal asking to verify the authenticity of its running programs and it spits out what it has. Seems like that should be a spoof based hacking test though...

As to the probe taking so long, since it's an extended test, he might be able to stop and start as needed rather than do it all at once. Alternately, I've got an Unrestricted Agent, so I could load that into his com, or maybe he can copy over his exploit program and I could keep it running while we go about our business. That way no one gets hung up on the car records thing. Probing is really one of those "burn a day" type pre-planning things. sleepy.gif
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 17 2010, 04:17 AM) *

My matrix-fu is weak. However I agree that 1 hit might only let me detect one active program, and even then maybe only obvious stuff like IC. I figure a bit like in the Matrix (the movie), I'm looking at streams of code and seeing patterns: that's a user, that's a trace program, etc.

As to timing, I can still communicate over my commlink, so assuming the interrogation takes less than 4 hours, then I can be interrupted and pick it up again later. Consider this a background task that I will come back to whenever we have some downtime. Note that 8 hits would be enough for a user account, which might be enough to change the data. Ferret is just being cautious, as he can do more with an admin account.

I was only planning on doing this for completeness. The records have already been changed on Thirty's ID, but a deep check would reveal the discrepancy between his credstick and the database.
HugeC
QUOTE (Notsoevildm @ Sep 17 2010, 03:10 AM) *
I was only planning on doing this for completeness. The records have already been changed on Thirty's ID, but a deep check would reveal the discrepancy between his credstick and the database.

Thirty appreciates Ferret's thoroughness! smile.gif
Sephiroth
If anyone wants to do anything else before the blimp lands and/or write the blimp landing, feel free. I'll be posting later today/tonight, but I'm going to be busy with classes for at least the next 7 hours.
pbangarth
It's Oswald's blimp, so you wanna dock it by the surgery, Sainted One?

Red-ROM
@ Nots: I think you would need administrative access to alter their records. I'll give you some programs, but this is not a complete list; Encryption, Analyze (R3), and an Agent. I know this is a not a high priority hack, and I would probably hand wave it, but this is what you do, and I don't want to short change it. Also, I could use the practice. that and I don't want you to think government nodes are a pushover.

@ saint: re-rolling failures any get you more successes, but they are still capped by the 1st aid skill rating (I would allow the first aid kits rating if its higher) If this negates the use of edge, then you can reclaim the edge point and forget the reroll. 6 boxes healed, bringing him back to consciousness

@ Acme: can I get a negotiation roll for a cash advance?
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 17 2010, 08:39 PM) *
@ saint: re-rolling failures any get you more successes, but they are still capped by the 1st aid skill rating (I would allow the first aid kits rating if its higher) If this negates the use of edge, then you can reclaim the edge point and forget the reroll. 6 boxes healed, bringing him back to consciousness

Yeah, I'm at the cap on the first roll. I'll write up the landing and Seph can move from there.
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 18 2010, 05:39 AM) *
@ Nots: I think you would need administrative access to alter their records. I'll give you some programs, but this is not a complete list; Encryption, Analyze (R3), and an Agent. I know this is a not a high priority hack, and I would probably hand wave it, but this is what you do, and I don't want to short change it. Also, I could use the practice. that and I don't want you to think government nodes are a pushover.

I could use the practice too. Let's keep it going in the background between scenes. Didn't think it would be easy, which is one of reasons Ferret wanted that admin account rather than a user account - gives a few more options if things don't go smoothly.
Red-ROM
@ seph and HugeC: you might want to roll perception and infiltration respectively. I don't want Jovan to react to Thirty unless he knows he's there
HugeC
Agility 4 + Infiltration 2 = 3 hits

If it turns out the blimp blocks Thirty's line of sight, that's fine too.
pbangarth
*hushed voice with a British accent* "The lion and the leopard circle the thicket, testing the air for information... what.... how many... is it danger ... is it food? Meanwhile, the young hyena, hovering over the freshly captured gazelle, wonders whether holing up in this thicket, with no escape now, was such a good idea."
Sephiroth
Intuition 6 + Perception 3 + Actively Looking 3 = 5 hits

Ummmmmmm........ this might complicate things a bit.
pbangarth
Roll to see what Professor knows of Jovan's quote from Cymbeline, a play by Shakespeare, based on legends concerning the early Celtic British King Cunobelinus. Given the Mythology connection, I will use that Knowledge Skill for Professor;

LOG 5 + Mythology 6 = 11 dice ==> 3 HITS
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 18 2010, 08:34 AM) *
Intuition 6 + Perception 3 + Actively Looking 3 = 5 hits

Ummmmmmm........ this might complicate things a bit.

I was planning to have Oswald puff out a smoke cloud for when Jovan said he were ready to come out, to obscure him.
Oh well. Probably too late to retcon that...

Also, don't forget things like negative dice pool modifiers and target numbers.
Perception isn't the most straight up test. For instance, if he was just peaking around the corner, that would be a threshold of 3 for "obscured" on top of his stealth roll. That means a total threshold of 6. A potential -2 DP penalty for "not in the immediate vicinity" wouldn't matter though based on your roll, but I don't know how ROM wants to handle this.

Changing it to a quick astral scouting before disembarkation would make sense and maintain the integrity of the scene.

Anyway, rolls for hearing. The conversation is on the other side of the door from where I'm sitting.

Int 5 +2 Percp +3 Attn coprocessor +3 Audio Enhancement +3 Actively listening = 16d6.hits(5) → [2,1,6,6,5,4,1,3,5,1,6,4,5,1,2,4] = (6)

Literature Knowledge Skill test: Logic 8 +3 skill +3 nanites = 14d6.hits(5) → [2,2,3,1,1,6,6,6,6,3,2,4,6,3] = (5)

pbangarth
No problem. I think we survived it.
Sephiroth
If Red-ROM needs me to, I can probably request my air elemental to scout the area before disembarking and edit that into my post to maintain the integrity of the scene.
HugeC
I had it in my mind that the blimp was going to drop him off right at the door, so I figured it was unlikely either of them would see each other. nyahnyah.gif Anyway, pressing on!
Saint Sithney
Heh, reading it now, Thirty and Jovan shouldn't have been able to see each other, since, as far as I remember, the shin was inside the warehouse and Jovan went straight from the cocoon to the room. A full five meter journey, not visible from inside the warehouse.

So, I guess the shin is outside to preserve the exchange? Should probably get it inside if you want me to switch the seats for you. wink.gif

Anyway, How about a shitty map of the premises? Doors are the ||s on the right. Center left room is the chem lab Bottom left is the living quarters and Bottom right by the door is the operating room. Top left is where the auto shop should be, but it's not an enclosed area like the others.

CODE
.____________________________________
|...................................|
|..................................||
|..................................||
|.....___..........................||
|....|...|.........................||
|....|___|..........................|
|...................................|
|......_______.....................||
|.....|.......|....................||
|.....|.......|.................___||
|.....|_______|................|...||
|______________________________|____|
Sephiroth
Ah, that is helpful. I was under the impression that the blimp had landed inside the warehouse for some reason. Silly me. indifferent.gif I suppose it's up to Red-ROM now whether we should retcon or continue forward.

You know, for someone who is supposed to be highly cunning and intelligent by racial default, I don't think things have gone according to plan for Jovan at all. This is very frustrating.
Red-ROM
@ saint: I , like Seph, was under the impression that the blimp landed inside the warehouse. I'm tempted to hit Jovan with some sun damage with all this running around outside. thanks for the map. I don't think i'll be doing any better on the map front myself

Perception modifiers etc:
1) It's an opposed test for infiltration, no threshold adjustment
2)actively looking +3
3)interference -2
4)not close? -2
5)visibility modifiers?

@ Pban: looks like you sorted the Shakespear yourself

I think it worked out great

@ Acme: I was gonna negotiate for up front cash, but I might just skip it and advance the chains, as it were
Sephiroth
This is an opposed test against the man's Willpower, I believe. Let me know if I am successful, Red-ROM.

Influence power: Magic 4 + Charisma 4 + Power Focus 4 = 12d6 = wtf 2 hits
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 19 2010, 01:01 AM) *
@ Pban: looks like you sorted the Shakespear yourself

I think it worked out great
Yeah, me too! I figured with three hits, he would know the play and the general story, anyway. Sometimes I go ahead with a test like that if I think I am not pushing the limits. Sometimes I push the limits and wait for the GM, hoping he will comply. If in either of those cases I get annoying, I'm sure you'll spank me.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Sep 19 2010, 01:52 AM) *
This is an opposed test against the man's Willpower, I believe. Let me know if I am successful, Red-ROM.

Influence power: Magic 4 + Charisma 4 + Power Focus 4 = 12d6 = wtf 2 hits

What force?
target's resist roll: 1 hit ( it sucks to be mundane sometimes)
you succeed,

edit:

are you guys gonna send the coordinates of a meet up spot, or have Acme come to the warehouse?
pbangarth
I think Acme should come to the warehouse.

I believe the Influence Power Jovan used is his vampiric critter power. So if you are looking for a Force to determine a limit on hits, probably his Magic? Essence?
Sephiroth
Critter powers are too cool for Force. smile.gif
pbangarth
Good catch on the club thing, Sephiroth.
Sephiroth
Why thank you, pbangarth.
Notsoevildm
Regarding the club, I will do a quick scan for clubs in the vicinity of the girlfriend's address. Didn't think to do that before.

Computer (4) + Browse (3) + Hotsim (2) = 9d6.hits(5)=6 - that's enough for general or public knowledge and takes a minute.
pbangarth
Would a trashed club make the news?
Acme

Yeah, sorry about that. For some reason I'd been lacking in reading the OOC thread in addition to the IC stuff so I missed the call for negotiation. That's fine, it sorta builds with the "You're just a cog getting stuck in here, deal." that he's going through... And I know, he didn't ask about the others either, hehe.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 19 2010, 01:05 PM) *
I think Acme should come to the warehouse.

I believe the Influence Power Jovan used is his vampiric critter power. So if you are looking for a Force to determine a limit on hits, probably his Magic? Essence?

ok, this is the first time I've had a vampire... I mean Nosferatu in the group. I still have to do my homework on that. I get like half an hour or so a day to think about Shadowrun, so its tough (a little hyperbole to make my point)
Notsoevildm
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 20 2010, 04:52 AM) *
ok, this is the first time I've had a vampire... I mean Nosferatu in the group. I still have to do my homework on that. I get like half an hour or so a day to think about Shadowrun, so its tough (a little hyperbole to make my point)

From the main book the Influence power is just an opposed test: Magic + Charisma vs target's Willpower. Don't think there's a limit on hits.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 20 2010, 02:52 AM) *

I'd be happy to help you with your homework if you have any particular questions about Jovan's innate abilities.
Notsoevildm
Didn't realise the club was in the Barrens, lol. If it's one of the 'less dangerous' parts, it might even be where Ferret normally hangs out.

Intuition (4) + Street gangs (4) = 8d6.hits(5)=1 - or perhaps not.
Saint Sithney
Robosearch roll: 6 Browse 3 agent = 9x9d6
[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
I don't want to start too many sub-threads going here and get out of time synch again, so I'll wait for Red-ROM to post.
Saint Sithney
Personally looking into the chemical plant disaster via Data Search:
6 Browse + 4 skill + 3 nanites + 2 hotsim = 15d6 Doing 8 minute rush job, 4 minutes at a time. So
[ Spoiler ]

Now for a Chemistry knowledge test to figure out what, if any our preparations should be before going, or what we could use about the toxic terrain for out advantage.
8 logic + 6 skill + 3 nanites = 17d6.hits(5) → [5,3,4,1,3,5,1,4,4,1,3,5,4,6,2,5,2] = (5)
Acme
Hey, just to let you know I'm still kicking, my boss is just making me pull a lot of early morning shifts consecutively so my body is severely trying to cope with it. Hence my diminished posting. I'm still trying to keep going though so no worries from me. biggrin.gif
Red-ROM
@ Acme: No problem, looks like you have 4 days. Of course, I'd hate to have to kill you in Oswalds rover...

@ All: I added edge to the 1st post. I went back through a ways and didn't find any that I didn't give back. I thought there had been more edge used, but obviously I didn't track it.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 22 2010, 11:15 AM) *
@ All: I added edge to the 1st post. I went back through a ways and didn't find any that I didn't give back. I thought there had been more edge used, but obviously I didn't track it.
Professor used Edge to climb down the coffin motel wall safely, HERE. Has Edge refreshed since then?
Red-ROM
@Pban: I knew sombody used it. It won't refresh untill the next day, in game. I supose that means midnight. or maybe sunrise... I guess midnight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012