Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Post or Die!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Red-ROM
Jovan could also flee in the direction he came from, down the underground road.... but that's up to him
pbangarth
If I were afraid, running towards something else the scary things could eat would seem like a good idea. grinbig.gif
Warlordtheft
The big question here is he annoyed or afraid, and if so what will Jovan do? The sucky thing about being dual natured is that you are open to attacks from both planes of existence.
Seth
@Red-ROM
Are you happy to post me arriving at the ghouls area?
I've headed down the corridor but don't think I can post more than a filler without some feedback.

My plan is to zoom towards them, because they are distracted. I am (hopefully) -5 concealment + -2 not taking an action + probably some more for them being distracted to be seen. If I see them I will assess the situation, but probably just drop a grenade and/or a stun ball, and retreat up the corridor.
Red-ROM
@seth: I'll post your arrival tonight, sorry I've been getting slack, THe amount of rule checking and character refrencing is way up, which means I can't just knock out a post in 5 minutes. And with the job, the wife, and the kid, 5 minutes is about all I get most of the time
Seth
@Red-ROM
NP. And thanks for GMing.
Red-ROM
@ Sephiroth: ok, the dogs have a running speed of 50 meters. The truks are about 18m in length. assuming you are flat against the front end of the furthest truck, they don't get line of site this turn.

@ Seth: I've got you comming in at the beginning of the second IP. The dogs and Archer are off after Jovan who is heading towards the opposite tunnel(if he is taking cover behined the trucks). and the rest of the crew is spreading out in your direction and delaying actions.

the ghouls are hiding and attempting to ambush you, so lets roll perception and surprise, and I guess stealth as well...hmmm...the castle is down, we may need a new dice rolling site....wow, looking around, I'm not finding any good ones, anyone got a suggestion?

in the meantime, Jade has no stealth, but gets -5 for concealment, I don't know what the other -2 you mentioned was, can I get a refrence? they get a +3 for actively looking. Seeing as how they only need one hit to spot you and they can use their infiltration skill to watch for people sneaking up on them, I wouldn't expect too many to be suprised.

I rolled a perception for you. 5 successes and 3 ones
rolling infiltration.. yea, you spot them fairly easy

surprise, you get.. 5 successes and 1 one (you guys are getting my lucky dice... we need invisible castle again smile.gif )

after rolling 19 times.. you get the jump on all but 2 of them.

Red-ROM
@ notso: the R3 node tries to terminate connection, 2 hits vs your hack + exploit(hot sim)... you get 1 hit and it cuts you off, but not before you find an address file and transfer it. the other nodes have no idea whats happening.
Seth
Thanks for rolling the die. I'm quite happy with you carrying on doing that if it's easier for you. (I have this theory that the die are kind of random, and don't know who rolled them. Some people think this is blasphemy). I am delighted with the results!

As I am possessed at the moment, spell casting is not going to be happening, but I cannot see much wrong with dropping a grenade in the midst of the biggest pile of them.

I get 4 actions at the moment, so my plan is:

IP 2:
Simple Action: Observe in details (nothing wrong with a bit of combat awareness
Simple action: Throw grenades. Agility 10, Skill -1. I would like it to land in the middle of the doggies if at all possible. If not, just a big clump of ghouls.
The grenade is I think a fragmentation grenade, so it's 12P (-1/meter away) but any armor adds 5 to resist damage. I am in the blast range, although I don't know the range, but I have 15points of hardened armor against it.

IP 3:
I suspect I cannot see into the area of the grenade. When it goes bang...it's probably messy, and it goes bang just as I get to go.
Critter power: Electric attack at any target I can see, archer preferentially (Agility 9, Skill 6, I don't know what modifiers)

IP 4:<------------ I have posted up to here but I intend to:
GTFO
I know that movement isn't an action...but hey let's have it so that they have to come for me next round.

You asked for a reference. Here is p135 of sr4a:
To determine how observant a character is of her surroundings, the gamemaster can call for Perception Tests. Unless a character specifically takes
an Observe in Detail Simple Action to perceive, she is considered to be distracted by whatever task is at hand (suffering a –2 dice pool modifier)

[ Spoiler ]
Red-ROM
@ seth: the dogs and Archer are running down both sides of the trucks, you know the ones you guys are trying to recover! they are also about 70 meters away from your location (theres a bus and a pile of bodies and a few tractor trailers between you and them, the vehicles are pretty much in a line save for the bus that is parked at a bit of an angle) the other ghouls are much closer, some hiding by the mouth of the tunnel waiting for you to enter.
pbangarth
Does the sound of the grenade get out to us in the bar?
Seth
@ seth: the dogs and Archer are running down both sides of the trucks, you know the ones you guys are trying to recover! they are also about 70 meters away from your location (theres a bus and a pile of bodies and a few tractor trailers between you and them, the vehicles are pretty much in a line save for the bus that is parked at a bit of an angle) the other ghouls are much closer, some hiding by the mouth of the tunnel waiting for you to enter.

Gotcha. I will edit the last post, and have the grenade and the lightning bolt hit the ghoul instead, then step so that they cannot see me easily. (Assuming the entrance works that way)
Sephiroth
Will have a post up this evening.
Sephiroth
I forgot to do this earlier, but here is a roll for the spirit's initiative nonetheless.
Force 7(6) x2 = 12d6 = 6 hits = Initiative score of 18.

Second initiative pass for Jovan: Compulsion against the alpha dog. Magic 7(6) + Charisma 4 + Power Focus 4(3) = 13d6 = 5 hits

Third initiative pass: Earlier, I tried to use Fear against one of those black dogs, and ROM said that those dogs had Immunity to Fear. I would like to try another Fear against one of the white dogs this time, to see if I can get different results. Magic 7(6) + Willpower 3 + Power Focus 4(3) = 12d6 = 2 hits versus the dog's willpower.

After that, Jovan will astrally run back down the tunnel towards the T-junction.
Seth
Lol Glad you are keeping you aggressive, paranoid sociopathic attitude Jovan.

Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Sep 26 2011, 05:24 AM) *
@seth: I'll post your arrival tonight, sorry I've been getting slack, THe amount of rule checking and character refrencing is way up, which means I can't just knock out a post in 5 minutes. And with the job, the wife, and the kid, 5 minutes is about all I get most of the time

Hey, it is ok-work happens. Do we want to suspend the 1 post a week rule till your work gets easier? <Can we vote on this?>
Seth
I vote we suspend it: I am unhappy posting "fillers"
Notsoevildm
We have a good team here, so I vote to suspend the sudden death rule until ROM feels like putting it back in place.
Sephiroth
I also vote for temporary suspension.
Red-ROM
hey guys! I finally got a few minutes to myself to post. I had suspended the death clock earlier due to my own lack of posting. I apologize for the slackness, I've peeked at DS twice in the last week, but I haven't had the time to sit down with the books and roll dice. I will start that process now!!

edit: as the P.O.D. rules state, someone is welcome to call me Deceased and take the reigns. Just to let you guys know I hold myself to the same standard, and have fallen short recently. It happens.
Red-ROM
ok. update on combat scene,

initiative:
Elemental=18/ 3 passes
Jade=16 / 4 passes
Archer=16/ 2 passes
Jovan=15/ 3passess
alpha dog= 12
other dogs = 11 to 13
ghouls = 9 to 14

it's IP 2, the ghouls have delayed attack actions, but only two can act against Jade this round due to suprise

Jade throws grenade(which will blow in IP #3 on 16)

Jovan slips through the trucks and uses compulsion on the biggest dog, defense is 3 hits
you are now compelling the dog (to cower? to not move? I forget) sustaining it is a +2 to your actions
then you use your movement to beet feet down the Tunnel yea?

The two ghouls that are ready to attack are the one in the food pile and the Ork on the bus.
the human fires at Jade with a Ruger 100 longarms + agility +1 for large target(8+ body)=1 hit
defense for Jade=4 hits
second shot (SA)= 1 hit again
defense(-1)=2 hits

Ork fires shotgun w/ slugs= 3 hits
jade defends(-2)=4hits
ork shoots= 2 hits
Jade again(-3)=2 hits
Red-ROM
the urge to skip rolling dice and declare Jade invincible is high....

now IP#3

Jade and grenade at 16 = The grenade fell 2 meters short. The ghouls are fairly spread out. I'd say there's a group of 6 by the bus trying to hide behind boxes and bodies and such, another 4 in the outer blast zone.
10P to 3 of them, soak rolls
8p to 3 of them, soak rolls
4p to 4 of them, soak rolls
ok, no one died, but there's a lot of blood and screaming, I'll post the mayhem to this point and let you decide where to put the lightning bolt. and Jovan has another turn as well.
Red-ROM
ok, I'm fairly caught up, and it only took 2 hours and 45 minutes. Am I missing anything?
pbangarth
Not that I know of.

I am off to visit my daughter in Liverpool, England tomorrow night, for a week. She has internet, but my presence on DS will be spotty at best for the next week. So, yeah, a little leeway on the death-rule would be appreciated. Not that Professor is up to much at the moment.

If stuff happens and a response is needed from Professor, maybe Notsoevildm can fill in for me if I am delaying things, seeing as Ferret and Professor are in the same location. Speaking of which, while Professor doesn't have Latin as one of his languages, certainly his Anthropology training will have exposed him to Latin nomenclature for species, and he is a great linguist in general. Ferret might think of that. grinbig.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Oct 6 2011, 05:57 PM) *

now IP#3

Jade and grenade at 16 = The grenade fell 2 meters short. The ghouls are fairly spread out. I'd say there's a group of 6 by the bus trying to hide behind boxes and bodies and such, another 4 in the outer blast zone.
10P to 3 of them, soak rolls
8p to 3 of them, soak rolls
4p to 4 of them, soak rolls
ok, no one died, but there's a lot of blood and screaming, I'll post the mayhem to this point and let you decide where to put the lightning bolt. and Jovan has another turn as well.

Bank Error in our favor? Red-Rom any reason that the 4P ghouls rolled only 4 dice to soak? Sorry guys, just had to point that out.

PS:No chunky salsa effect? frown.gif
Seth
Nah I'm not seeing a chunky salsa: that's a big area down there.

As I cannot spell cast while possessed, I'll be retreating now I suspect. I think I got their attention though: thanks for the loan of the grenade. And no you can't have it back: I broke it.

I like this idea!!!! Please give into your urges....well some of them anyway
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Oct 7 2011, 07:44 AM) *
Bank Error in our favor? Red-Rom any reason that the 4P ghouls rolled only 4 dice to soak? Sorry guys, just had to point that out.

PS:No chunky salsa effect? frown.gif

haha! it was supposed to be 14. 9+5 ap for leather jackets. and Seth is right, the warehouse is too big for chunky salsa over there. I could have rolled some barrier checks for the shelves and boxes, and the bus, but it was taking forever already, so I simplified. there's pluses and minuses to that.
Seth
I have to say I am pleased with the results. Next time I have more grenades!

Still I'll toss the lightning bolt at anyone (not too worried about results its more in the way of an attention grabber) then head back up the corridor at mach 0.2.

I'm not too sure how bendy the tunnel is, so I'd like to get about 10m the other side of any bend, or 100m away if there are no bends. I'm hoping there is partial cover around (as bait they have to be able to shoot at me so that I can be really 'tasty').

Saint Sithney
I'll be waiting to hit anything that moves above ground.
Warlordtheft
I'm waiting at the top of the stairs ready to fire suppressive fire towards the tunnel entrance after Jade runs through and I see a ghoul.
Sephiroth
I won't have time to get a post up until tomorrow evening, but just two quick things while I'm online for a few minutes:

Regarding the Compulsion, it is to compel the alpha dog to not move. I also hit another dog (one of the white ones, since we do not know if the white ones are any more vulnerable to Fear than the black dogs), although with only 2 hits I doubt it was successful.

Regarding the sustaining, SR4A pg 293 under Duration lists sustained critter powers as having no strain or modifiers for sustaining due to their being innate. If you want to do a -2 modifier for critter powers, I'm happy to do so; I am just pointing out what the book says.

Other than that, yes I think you've got everything straight.
Warlordtheft
FYI-I added the seconds to the time stamp since were in combat to help keep track of combat turns. I just set it to be 36 seconds in.
pbangarth
Cool! Latin stuff to check out! I'll get onto that. I have moments here in Liverpool to use my daughter's computer.
pbangarth
OK, got a bit of time before I am AFC again.

Here's a general roll to see how much Professor gets out of the Latin words:

LOG 5 + Linguistics Knowledge Skill 3 + hell, 2, something from the Linguist Quality, Analytical Mind Quality, Analytics power and Linguistics power = 10 dice

==> 3 HITS

That should be enough. I don't know whether he needs to do any kind of roll to look into the 'metal eye' file. I'm assuming not, and that Ferret has cracked any encryption.
Sephiroth
Holy distractions, Batman. I'll get on this now. Jovan already used an action in IP3 (using Fear on one of the white dogs) so he's taken care of for this combat turn.

Also, everyone, I would like to draw your attention to something.
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Oct 10 2011, 07:44 PM) *
Saturday, Sept. 12

pbangarth
I went back a couple of pages and fixed my posts.
Red-ROM
@ pban: the names are from a file of contact info, so it's pretty much just the names and comm numbers

so, Jovan tries fear on another dog to no avail, and takes off down the hall. Jade retreats back up the tunnel, Does she have anything she wants to do for IP #4 ?

I'll post the start of turn 2, I imagine Jade and ZO and Oz have delayed actions.
Warlordtheft
Yep...that pretty much covers it. Do I have LOS to the gouls yet?
pbangarth
D'oh. Just contact info. Uhh... where did Ferret get that info, again? I've been away and I forget.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Oct 9 2011, 11:20 PM) *
I won't have time to get a post up until tomorrow evening, but just two quick things while I'm online for a few minutes:

Regarding the Compulsion, it is to compel the alpha dog to not move. I also hit another dog (one of the white ones, since we do not know if the white ones are any more vulnerable to Fear than the black dogs), although with only 2 hits I doubt it was successful.

Regarding the sustaining, SR4A pg 293 under Duration lists sustained critter powers as having no strain or modifiers for sustaining due to their being innate. If you want to do a -2 modifier for critter powers, I'm happy to do so; I am just pointing out what the book says.

Other than that, yes I think you've got everything straight.

I see what you're saying about critter powers. I find that irritating. The developers need to play some "magic the gathering" so they can learn about key words. when I see sustained, I think -2. Also, imagine if your character was compeled not to move , and could be held that way indefinitly...
anyway, no penalty for sustained critter powers, got it.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Oct 17 2011, 09:12 PM) *
Yep...that pretty much covers it. Do I have LOS to the gouls yet?

yea, the first batch anyway
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 17 2011, 06:54 PM) *
D'oh. Just contact info. Uhh... where did Ferret get that info, again? I've been away and I forget.

Archer's com. The ghoul leader.
pbangarth
Thanks!
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Oct 17 2011, 09:40 PM) *
yea, the first batch anyway

Well, I'll post my combat action later on this evening!-Busy at work..
Seth
so, Jovan tries fear on another dog to no avail, and takes off down the hall. Jade retreats back up the tunnel, Does she have anything she wants to do for IP #4 ?

I think I am mainly bait. If I can see them I will blast one, if not I think its more important that I don't die at the start of next round by moving into some cover.
pbangarth
Yeah, not dying sounds like a good plan.
Seth
The developers need to play some "magic the gathering" so they can learn about key words.

Yes. Just Yes.
Red-ROM
anyone joining the battle should roll initiative, or has everyone allready done that?
Warlordtheft
Ghoul Flashback roll:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3227783/
7d6.hits(5) → [4,2,1,6,5,2,6] = (3)
YEAH!!!! I can do something

For my delayed action, suppressing fire on the ghouls as they come down the tunnel:

Suppressive fire roll
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3227803/
11d6.hits(5) → [3,1,2,5,6,4,4,3,4,2,2] = (2)
Using 1 point of edge to reroll misses:

9d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [5,3,4,1,2,[6, 3],1,[6, 6, 6, 6, 2],5] = (7)
Frag me!!!! 9 hits total.

BTW--Suppressive fire rules are on SR4A pg 154 for reference. I am assuming the tunnel is not more than 10 meters wide and can cover that area.

Base damage is 7P, AP-2. grinbig.gif
Saint Sithney
You don't get exploding 6s on a reroll, but 5 hits should be enough to get all of them, probably.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012