Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salted Wounds [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Gilga
Thanks Jack!
Thanee
Speaking of resting up... totally forgot that you can also First Aid stun damage. smile.gif

So, if we can still do that, it would make sense for bnc to make the test with Nova providing teamwork bonus.

My roll (with +3 for using the small medkit): 3 hits

Modifiers for bnc: -1 for average conditions, -1 for implants, +6 for using the big medkit, +3 from teamwork

Bye
Thanee

P.S. If anyone is interested, there is a german version of the "Shadows of Latin America" semi-official PDF (it was meant to be a sourcebook for SR3 but was never published due to various problems behind the scenes). You can find it here: https://sirdoomsbadcompany.wordpress.com/20...hatten-out-now/
Volker
Good point!
First Aid: 20d6t5 11
Unfortunately, as my mental limit is only 9, I can't use all of the hits ^^ But I guess, the stun damage should be pretty much gone.

Sheesh, why do you never get these rolls when you need them?
Thanee
Haha!

Actually, you get +6 Limit from the Medkit also...

But more unfortunately, you can only heal 4 (your rank in First Aid), so anything beyond 6 hits is kinda wasted, but still nice. smile.gif

One hour rest: 6 hits (Body+Willpower+Medkit-Wound Modifier)

So, the remaining stun damage will be gone after the rest.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Well, Anna could help you with the wound modifier, and so is bnc/a Medic kit.

Not that it matters much, just something to keep in mind.
Jack_Spade
Just to make sure it didn't go under:

You already know where the best point for an ambush would be - either for a barikade to let the spirit manifest, or to stop the van with the rounds. It's also far enough in the woods that the shot of a hunter's gun wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary.
Thanee
Yeah, I think we should just use the barricade+spirit (or two, just to be sure) approach and keep the Zapper rounds as a backup, if they try to get away.

It's still winter, so we could just use our own car parked diagonally across the street (it is still winter, so the driver might have lost control in the sharp turn), to block it off at the point where they will have to drive slow, anyways. If we put the car in a way, that they see it only after making the turn (if that is possible), it should surprise them enough to stop for a moment at least.

Then two spirits (you mages can both summon Spirits of Man, I suppose?) materialize inside and use their Influence on them to get them out. I have a silenced gun with stick-n-shock, and surely we have other means to take them out without much noise as well.

Either way, we should monitor and jam any possible calls they could make, in case they do switch their wifi back on, in order to call for help.

Bye
Thanee
Volker
I'm in. Sounds like a decent plan to me.
Luckace
@Thanee: Sounds good to me, as long as our car looks somewhat sturdy smile.gif

Wraith doesn't have access to spirits of man, but he can summon spirits of guidance which do have the influence power
Thanee
Ahh... sure that will work as well. smile.gif

But you do know, that the Shapechange / Critter Form spells do not transform your clothing / equipment, right? wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Luckace
Yeah, but so far it think the shapechange-discussion is just about scouting, so that wouldn't be a problem there.
Plus, as a mage you can be pretty badass even without any equipment cool.gif
Gilga
In case she needs to do some looking/sneaking.
Improve intuition spell:
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
@Gilga: You also need to roll for getting through the mana barrier.

See page 316 SR5 "Getting around Mana Barriers"

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Thanks, I added rolls for the magic + charisma vs F*2 of the barrier for the way in and out as well as sneaking, it should be enough I guess.
Thanee
What a bunch of terrible rolls! At least it was the same for both sides. biggrin.gif

Looking good! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
lol who ever before won an Opposed roll with 2 hits against 12 dice? You lucky clover!
Jack_Spade
Not that lucky: You need an additional hit per spell you want to bring through. So you either have to drop the improved intuition or try again.
Volker
He can't drop it without losing the bonus dice he used in the check.
Jack_Spade
Just the sneak check out, in he can keep the Int.
Gilga
Since I actually read the rules:

Awakened characters have discovered other methods of forcing their way through an astral barrier besides the use of brute force. You can press through a barrier with a Magic + Charisma [Astral] v. barrier’s Force x 2 Opposed Test. If you get any net hits, you pass through the barrier and emerge on the other side. You can bring a number of friends, spirits, active foci, sustained spells, or other astral forms with you, one for each net hit you score. If the barrier scores more hits, you fail to break through.

So I can bring one sustained spell with me because I have one net hit.
Jack_Spade
Interesting, that rules text seems to differ from the German one:
"Für jeden Nettoerfolg über den ersten hinaus kann er einen Freund, Geist, aktivierten Fokus, aufrechterhaltenen Zauber oder eine andere astrale Gestalt mitnehmen."
For every net success beyond the first he can take a friend, a spirit, an active focus, sustained spell or an astral form with him.

Eh, alright, no big deal, let's keep the game going.
Thanee
Interesting, that actually seems to be different in the two versions.

But, in this case, it does not make a real difference (even when removing the last 4 dice from her second roll, she would make it; and she could just cast it again, anyways). smile.gif

However, for future attempts, it might be useful to decide which version to use.

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
For now we keep the English rules.
SquirrelDude
I took two years of German, but it's been years since I used it and it was never good to begin with, so english please.
Jack_Spade
That's why I added the translation below wink.gif
Thanee
@Gilga: I believe, the "similar to Nacl" refers to the implants being deltaware.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Deltaware? wow...!
Volker
Guess the vent system is offline, right?
Jack_Spade
Not offline, but thanks to the cold winter it doesn't have to work particularly hard. It's mostly important to keep the moisture out.

As for "similar to Nacl": It's both actually: Deltagrade Bioware
Luckace
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 11 2019, 09:06 PM) *
"Can you keep the drivers under mental control? That could be helpful..."

OOC: I don't think you can! At least, I do not see any spells in your list, like Control Thoughts. The Influence power from a spirit doesn't go that far. Making them get out of the van... sure. But, letting them do whatever you want requires a bit more than that.

Felt like I'd better answer this here.
Wraith has the spell Influence:

"You implant a single suggestion in the victim’s mind,
like a powerful post-hypnotic command. For example,
you might have your target think that FizzyFluid is the
best drink on the market, or that he can’t remember
his best friend’s name, or that he should let you past a
locked door. The target carries out this suggestion as if
it were his own idea. If confronted with the wrongness
of the suggestion (like when the reality of the flavor of
FizzyFluid in his mouth contrasts with his belief that it’s
good), the subject can attempt to overcome it using the
rules for overcoming mental manipulations (p. 292). In
any case, the suggestion fades naturally after a number
of minutes equal to your net hits."

To me, I see no big difference between implanting "FizzyFluid is the best drink on the market" and, lets say "give the signal to wave the van through". Of course, we should first find out what kind of protocol they have: whether he just calls them "it's me, Hans, open the gate" or whether there's some kind of code or whatever involved. Perhaps they even trust the van enough so that they'll simply open the gates when they see it approaching, but we can't count on that.

The spell is of course limited to a short time. But during this period I don't see why Wraith couldn't just tell him "tell your chummers everything's as usual". (And I think we have enough social power and intimidation-tricks to make him shut up until we reach their checkpoint, where Wraith can cast the spell.)

But the final decision is not mine to make, of course. smile.gif
I'll wait for Jack's judgement before I post IC.
Jack_Spade
Influence will work for something like this, but don't expect this to be the solve-all-be-all
Gilga
Jack: Can we look at the recordings of Abdecker to see if they have such protocol? (everyone seems to be inclined to do this job rushed, and not take some intel of our own).
Jack_Spade
No signal visible. Only the number plate changes.
Volker
Do we have any more plate samples?

Maybe I'm seeing faces in the clouds, but it was:
Sunday L-610 ST
Monday L-420 MD

L stands for Linz, they can't do a lot about that. But "ST" could be "Sonntag" which is Sunday. But then, "MD" ("Monday") is English. Also, I can't quite make sense out of the numbers yet. Which date do we have? Which time did they arrive?
Thanee
@Luckace: What I meant is... Influence can do one thing, then it is over. Control Thoughts actually keeps someone under mental control (which was, what Wraith had said before).

Bye
Thanee
Luckace
@Jack: All right, thanks for the warning.

@Volker: Damn! I payed absolutely no mind to the number plates, but makes sense biggrin.gif Nice one!

@Thanee: Ahh, ok, gotcha now. Yeah, you're right, that was bad wording on my end.
Jack_Spade
Nope, only two days of footage. But it won't be a problem when you capture the van.
Volker
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Jan 12 2019, 12:07 AM) *
Nope, only two days of footage. But it won't be a problem when you capture the van.

true, but underwhelming biggrin.gif
Gilga
I just figured out that stun grenades are flash bangs rather than gas.
Gilga
Jack, is the ward just on the astral or is it on the physical plane as well. Would it negate spells or just astral forms?
Jack_Spade
It's a dual-natured ward. Casting spells through it follows the usual rules that it reduces your dice pool.
Volker
I'm confused. The Abdecker said "The car arrives usually around midnight. The guards go in during that time."
What about the van. I thought that it, too, would go in where it is unloaded and reloaded. For me, that was why the guards go in - to guard the van and the freight.
Apparently, gilga saw it differently. So - what do the videos say? Does the van pass the ward and walls?
Jack_Spade
Yes, the van passes through the garage door in the middle of the building, guards from outside come in, but leave the dog outside in the kennel
Volker
thanks for clarification
Gilga
Jack are hellhounds dual natured? I remember we had a discussion about it in another game but I do not remember what we decided.

Jack_Spade
Pretty certainly:

HELL HOUND
B A R S W L I C E ESS M
6 4 5 6 4 2 4 3 3 6 5
Initiative 10 + 3D6
Movement x2/x6/+4
Condition Monitor 11/10
Limits Physical 8, Mental 4, Social 6
Armor 2
Skills Exotic Ranged Weapon 4, Intimidation 3,
Perception 3, Running 4, Sneaking 5, Tracking 5,
Unarmed Combat 3
Powers Armor 2, Dual Natured, Elemental Attack (Fire),
Enhanced Senses (Hearing, Low-Light Vision,
Smell), Fear, Immunity to Fire, Natural Weapon
(Bite: DV (STR+1)P, AP –1)

Devil Rats were the ones I misstook for dual natured.
Luckace
@Jack: Two spirits manifesting in a driver's cabin where already two men are seated sounds pretty cramped to me.
Are there any rules or anything that go against that, or is this no problem rulewise?
Gilga
I think that a spirit can take the same place as a mundane person (which gives a chill or some other signal), so metaphorically Karl can seat with Anna as to not make anyone uncomfortable.

Edit: Oh, figured out you are talking about the van we're going to take.
Jack_Spade
It's cramped if they try to manifest inside the cabin, but it's possible (especially since they can float sideways.)
Gilga
Jack, perhaps you can get us to the place - but don't bring the van yet. Let us deploy ourselves and get an impression?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012