Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salted Wounds [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Gilga
Damage resist: 17d6t5 5 I'll use my last edge here.
Damage resist (reroll): 12d6t5 2

Anna takes 12 damage and is with 1 box of overflow. I was hoping for the wall to grant her some protection, but I guess we were ambushed by better equipped professional. Well... Perhaps I should burn edge it is a shitty situation. First time I was oneshot before doing anything in combat.

Jack_Spade
Sorry, but I distinctly remember giving the warning about the radar equipped merc - as well as mentioning the cheap building materials.
Volker
Aww shit! Nice one, though, admittedly.

Guess that makes it Nova's turn... -.-
SquirrelDude
QUOTE (Gilga @ Oct 11 2018, 03:31 PM) *
Damage resist: 17d6t5 5 I'll use my last edge here.
Damage resist (reroll): 12d6t5 2

Anna takes 12 damage and is with 1 box of overflow. I was hoping for the wall to grant her some protection, but I guess we were ambushed by better equipped professional. Well... Perhaps I should burn edge it is a shitty situation. First time I was oneshot before doing anything in combat.

It was a bit of bad luck and bad planning

1. Bad luck the mercs had the best initiative.
2. Bad luck Anna's 27 lost to the Merc's 27 on whatever the tiebreaker for initiative is
3. Bad luck that the gun bnc fried was the pistol and not the shotgun
4. Bad planning for Anna to go upstairs in a vulnerable position, isolated from the other members of the team.

That said, I feel like Anna should have got a perception check to notice a mercenary tromping down the hall and stopping outside the wall directly in front of her. If she had noticed such, she should been able to take a total defense or something similar to try and dive for cover.
Jack_Spade
The Merc didn't move from his position. He just used his radar system, aced his perception test and shot through the wall with custom APDS.

I'm all for giving her a chance, but you neither sent in a drone first (or at least positioned one on the corridor window), hacked a guncam or used some other form of magic to get positions.
Heck, you didn't even use the fisheye on the door.

That said:
I'll allow her an Edge roll. With a success the spirit in the Astral can send her a warning so that she can take a defense test. (After all it's a kind of guardian angel)
Volker
I think it was fair. We had the chance, we messed up, now we suffer the consequences. We're shadowrunners, not toddlers. Bad things happen. Also, bnc's gonna patch her up anyway. Anna's tougher than she looks.
SquirrelDude
One last slightly terse thing, and I'll say every time we're in these kind of complex multi-room, multi level environments.

For the love of god, please provide a map.

You could describe it brilliantly, down to the last nail and I won't retain any of it.
Gilga
If she is allowed an edge roll I'll take it, would be nicer to participate in the combat than to be idle.

Edge: 3d6t5 1. I guess she takes a defense test?
In that case, she'll use a full defense and suddenly crash herself to the wall or something.
Full defense: 21d6t5 7 - which would put her unharmed if a bit scratched.
Thanee
After looking back, I must say, I totally did not see that (although, that is information only bnc really had, anyways). smile.gif

Your last matrix perception scan detects radar signals.

- The radar signal most likely comes from one of the mercs

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (SquirrelDude @ Oct 11 2018, 11:15 PM) *
2. Bad luck Anna's 27 lost to the Merc's 27 on whatever the tiebreaker for initiative is

It is listed in the initiative overview, actually. First tie-breaker is Edge (both have E3) then Reaction (Merc has R8, Anna has R6).

4. Bad planning for Anna to go upstairs in a vulnerable position, isolated from the other members of the team.

Yeah. In the graveyard, there was quite a bit of talk of not seperating too much... and then here, everyone suddenly ran to a different position. spin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (SquirrelDude @ Oct 12 2018, 12:09 AM) *
One last slightly terse thing, and I'll say every time we're in these kind of complex multi-room, multi level environments.

For the love of god, please provide a map.

There was, at least, some overview with the appartement and the corridor.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=1342566

I also tried to gather what information I found about locations into the initiative overview, that I posted, because I found it a little hard to follow as well. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Gilga @ Oct 12 2018, 02:49 AM) *
If she is allowed an edge roll I'll take it, would be nicer to participate in the combat than to be idle.

Edge: 3d6t5 1. I guess she takes a defense test?
In that case, she'll use a full defense and suddenly crash herself to the wall or something.
Full defense: 21d6t5 7 - which would put her unharmed if a bit scratched.

Good roll, though you aren't entirely of the hook:

p. 190 core
"If you attack someone in cover and you tie in the Opposed Test, you hit your target through the cover she’s using. If you penetrate the barrier (see Barriers, p. 197), you can still do damage to your opponent."

So in that case you'll still take the 12 base damage, minus your soak of 7, so you still take 5P
Gilga
I robbed myself 1 dice: Intuition 10, Reaction 6, (Lighting reflexes) 1, +5 willpower.
1 extra dice: 1d6t5 0
Not changing...

I'll just edge the dodge test which is much more useful than to spend edge and be seriously wounded.

Edge(reroll): 15d6t5 5

So these are 12 hits for defense, no edge left and no blood.

SR rules are strange - how a tie without cover does no damage - but with a cover it does. wink.gif It seems like the cover more of a hindrance than a benefit - counter intuitively. (Unless it stops the bullet).

Thanee
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 12 2018, 07:18 AM) *
p. 190 core
"If you attack someone in cover and you tie in the Opposed Test, you hit your target through the cover she’s using. If you penetrate the barrier (see Barriers, p. 197), you can still do damage to your opponent."

That would not apply here, I think. Only, if she is using cover (which provides a bonus to defense tests). But she is not.

Essentially it means, when firing at someone in cover, you either hit (attacker wins test) or not (defender wins test) or hit the barrier, where the defender is standing and can hit him or her through the cover (on a tie).

What you are doing here, though, is attacking through a barrier (p. 197), that is not used for cover. Usually that involves blind fire, but with his radar, he circumvents that part.

Also, I think the damage (which will not apply, but in case it would) would first be resisted by the structure (cheap material has 2 structure and 4 armor; so just the 2 dice, assuming that was 1 hit then?), then applied to the structure (2 DV removed because of the 2 structure), and only then applied to whoever is being targeted (so it would have been 10 DV coming through, I believe).

Bye
Thanee
Volker
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 12 2018, 01:58 AM) *
After looking back, I must say, I totally did not see that (although, that is information only bnc really had, anyways). smile.gif

Nope, bnc shared the information with the team.

regarding the barrier/cover:
I just wanted to say the same thing. The rule you quoted basically rules the case in which A fails to hit B because of the protection the cover provides. That doesn't apply if you never tried to shoot at the person behind the cover without shooting through the cover. The rules are clearly not intended to make it more probable to hit someone behind a wall than the same person without the wall. It just adds some realism as you might fail to hit someone directly who stands behind, say, a pillar, but you might accidently hit the pillar and the victim through it.

The damage is correct, however, as a bullet falls under the Penetration Weapons rules, p. 198 CRB.
Thanee
QUOTE (Volker @ Oct 12 2018, 11:31 AM) *
Nope, bnc shared the information with the team.

Must have missed that part, then. smile.gif

Interesting with that Penetration Weapons part. That seems to contradict the Shooting through Barriers, which (obviously) seems to be meant for firearms mostly.

Bye
Thanee
Volker
Not contradict, it's a different case. Penetration Weapon rules only apply when the modified DV is less than the Armor. So if you shoot with a Savalette Guardian at a wall or fortified glass, the normal Shooting through barriers rules apply. Same goes for fireballs, shuriken or dwarves. This one, however, has APDS ammo which can easily penetrate thin walls - which will be exactly why he brought it in the first place.
Luckace
Damn, that escalated quickly eek.gif I'm thrilled!

@ Squirreldude: thanks for rolling Wraith's initiative.

oh, and seeing Wraith's location is marked "?": he's still in the janitor's flat - he simply didn't have the time to leave yet.
Thanee
QUOTE (Volker @ Oct 12 2018, 01:23 PM) *
Not contradict, it's a different case. Penetration Weapon rules only apply when the modified DV is less than the Armor. So if you shoot with a Savalette Guardian at a wall or fortified glass, the normal Shooting through barriers rules apply. Same goes for fireballs, shuriken or dwarves. This one, however, has APDS ammo which can easily penetrate thin walls - which will be exactly why he brought it in the first place.

Ahh, I see... thanks!

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (Luckace @ Oct 12 2018, 01:33 PM) *
oh, and seeing Wraith's location is marked "?": he's still in the janitor's flat - he simply didn't have the time to leave yet.

Yeah, I wasn't sure, whether you wanted to tag along or something else. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Thanee @ Oct 12 2018, 09:32 AM) *
That would not apply here, I think. Only, if she is using cover (which provides a bonus to defense tests). But she is not.

Essentially it means, when firing at someone in cover, you either hit (attacker wins test) or not (defender wins test) or hit the barrier, where the defender is standing and can hit him or her through the cover (on a tie).

What you are doing here, though, is attacking through a barrier (p. 197), that is not used for cover. Usually that involves blind fire, but with his radar, he circumvents that part.

Also, I think the damage (which will not apply, but in case it would) would first be resisted by the structure (cheap material has 2 structure and 4 armor; so just the 2 dice, assuming that was 1 hit then?), then applied to the structure (2 DV removed because of the 2 structure), and only then applied to whoever is being targeted (so it would have been 10 DV coming through, I believe).

QUOTE (Volker @ Oct 12 2018, 11:31 AM) *
regarding the barrier/cover:
I just wanted to say the same thing. The rule you quoted basically rules the case in which A fails to hit B because of the protection the cover provides. That doesn't apply if you never tried to shoot at the person behind the cover without shooting through the cover. The rules are clearly not intended to make it more probable to hit someone behind a wall than the same person without the wall. It just adds some realism as you might fail to hit someone directly who stands behind, say, a pillar, but you might accidently hit the pillar and the victim through it.

The damage is correct, however, as a bullet falls under the Penetration Weapons rules, p. 198 CRB.

The point is, gilga wrote explicitly that he wanted Anna to take cover behind the door.
I interpreted that as her keeping very close to the door, reducing her range of movement (taking cover is an active action compared to merely standing behind something but not actually touching it.

I didn't roll for the door to resist since the combined damge + AP exceeded the door's resistance dicepool. So I just put it at a flat -1 DV as per the penetration rules.

But in any case, she still lives thanks to the grace of Wraith's guardian angle and you guys are up. (I suggest taking a moment to read through the OOC. You likely missed another important thing that might surprise you at an inopportune moment.
Gilga
To be clear, I planned for her to walk to the door, open it and shoot whomever on the other side, possibly retreating back inside for cover/break line of sight. I did not plan for her to stand right by the door. With her kind of agility, it is unnecessary. She can walk the entire apartment in a single combat phase I think. But I did not yet declare the action for the round, because of initiative order and such.
Thanee
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 12 2018, 04:48 PM) *
The point is, gilga wrote explicitly that he wanted Anna to take cover behind the door.

Terminology aside, the situation still isn't "cover" per SR rules. smile.gif

But you were very lenient with the chance to defend against the attack, so...

Let's move on... Anna is still up with her action.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
What meta type are the guards and how strong do they look?
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Gilga @ Oct 11 2018, 07:55 PM) *
Hi Jack, do we see the mage, have access to his apartment or do we need to fight the guards?

If Anna can see the mage from a place she can get to without passing wards she'll shoot him. Otherwise, she'll assault the guards, and use the door/wall as cover, possibly breaking LOS with them hoping to get them after her.

I'm referring to that post, which to me suggested you'd rather hug the wall.

But yes, let's move on:

They are both human. The one with the assault shotgun is the smaller of the two but he has more chrome (arms and legs) while the other one now has a one handed blooddrinker axe as well as a funny looking, very large riot shield which he uses to cover the door and his partner.
The cybered guy wear face concealing balistic mask with helmet and pretty heavy looking Ares Victory Big Game Hunter armor. The other just carries the shield and the armor.

(For convenience sake I'll reveal their handles: Assault and Battery)
Gilga
Okay: Movement action move to hall.
Simple action: Fire Ares Predator 8P +1 AP (loaded with gel rounds) at guy with shotgun.
Agility 10, skill 9 + smartlink 1
Fire Predator: 20d6t5 7

Simple action: Recklessly cast levitate F4 on the guy with the combat axe:
Levitate: 13d6t5 4
Drain (vs 5): 15d6t5 6
no drain.

Free action "Cry asshole"

Jack_Spade
You forgot to spend an action on opening the door.
You can decide if you want to cast a spell or shoot

Anyway: Assault and Battery are using the Shield Walk Small Unit Tactic: (SL p.193)
Assault Teamwork SMT: 13d6t5 6
BatterySMT: 21d6t5 10 Limit 8

Assault Defense: Defense: 21d6t5 8
Not hit

Just in case you try the levitate instead: Resist spell: Resist: 12d6t5 5
Gilga
Can you explain what the maneuver does?

He throws 21 dice for defense without full defense wow!
Gilga
I'll go for the spell it seems more effective by the way. (considering that he won't be able to dodge while levitated... )
Jack_Spade
SHIELD WALK
Hits required: 3
Description: Also called “The Meat Shield” or “Walking Phalanx,” this maneuver is designed for those who have a large stature or robust build, carry a ballistic (or other kind of) shield, wear heavy armor, or all of the above while moving in formation. The main idea is for those on the outside of the formation to use their bodies, shields, and armor to cover their teammates as they maneuver. Shield Walk is essentially a variation of Slicing the Pie (p. 102, Run & Gun). To employ Shield Walk, the team must line up behind the shield-bearers in order to use them as cover. There are limitations to this maneuver. Only three team members can stack up behind a single shield-bearer. To allow more team members to take advantage, another shield must be brought into play, and even then only one person can engage a target from one side at a time. For example, one team member can attack on the right sode, another on the left side, while the third (in the center) cannot attack but still gains the defense bonus. A failed maneuver test simply means that the positioning was off or that the formation was broken for some reason, and no bonuses are gained.

Benefits: If successful, the team members behind the shield-bearers get to add the shield’s armor rating as their own. Each team member also gets an additional number of defense dice equal to the number of net hits on the maneuver test.
Gilga
But we come from 3 different angles? how can they use this maneuver? Their shield has to face somewhere no? or am I misunderstanding the layout again...
Jack_Spade
At the moment there is only you an they are two people. The guy with the shield just has to move his arm to defend himself from you and any other opponent appearing.

If you want to flank them you can try to do a SMT maneuver of your own to counter his maneuver and reducing their net successes.
Thanee
What is this SMT stuff? Don't think I have the book (SL?), it is in. spin.gif

I'm mostly a little irritated by the teamwork test... can you just use that for free within combat? Or is that something special from there...

Question: Is there a window in the door from staircase to corridor? Can I use stealth to ambush the guy with the shield (the other one, obviously, can see everyone within a given radius with his radar sense), i.e. by hiding and shooting through the window? If so, what action would that be (if any)?

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
Small Unit Tactics were introduced in Run&Gun p.94 and expanded in Street Lethal p.191:

There is no window in the staircase door.
You assume that there is no sharing of data and sensor feeds

If bnc uses the TAG action she could highlight one or two of them through the wall and allow you a shot with reduced blind fire mods

By the way, it would be great if Anna and Sharkboy could declare which flat they used for their entry
(here is the map again for reference: http://i68.tinypic.com/11aizus.png)

5 doors to the south and 5 to the north, one to the west (behind which Nova waits for her turn). The two runners stand in front of the middle door on the northern side.
Thanee
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Oct 12 2018, 11:13 PM) *
You assume that there is no sharing of data and sensor feeds

That is no assumption, since one of them cut his wireless connection. wink.gif

Anyways, just wondering, whether there is any useful approach here, other than "open door, fire". biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Aha, okay. Just checked the R&G stuff... so it is a free action to do that teamwork test for small unit tactics. Seems pretty useful. smile.gif

SR5 does not have a hard limit of one free action per pass, right? Because he already used one free action for cutting his wireless connection...

Anyways, since I do not really have any better idea right now, I will just go with the shoot 'em approach...

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
There is a one free action limit per phase, but the Perfect Time quality allows you a second free action

Also, that's what I meant about reading carefully what I wrote: His weapon icon has vanished from the matrix because he shut off wireless on his gun. His commlink is working just fine - otherwise he couldn't be tagged as I suggested.

Jack_Spade
28 bnc (jumped into James) -- outside at the kitchen window of the appartement (bnc is in the van): Fried the Warhawk of the second Merc.
27 (E3R8) Merc 1 (Assault Shotgun) -- in front of appartement: Shot through wall at Anna
27 (E3) Anna -- in a neighbouring appartement: Tried to levitate Battery
24 (E7) Nova -- in the staircase: Shot at Battery
23 Merc 2 (Ruger Super Warhawk, Riot Shield) -- in front of appartement: Activated Astral Perception and Weapon Focus
22 Aeraziel (Wraith's Spirit) -- in astral space
17 Sharkboy -- in a neighbouring appartement
15 bnc's Rotodrone -- outside at the lving room window of the appartement:
13 Wraith -- Downstairs flat:

?? Ritual Mage -- in the appartement (assumed)
Thanee
@Luckace: Your spirit could use Fear from the astral space on the 2nd merc (who just popped up there with astral perception). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
wow, I just realized that Anna's gun is completely useless. I'll need to develop some other skill - pistols seems underwhelming.

Let's assume that Anna takes the apartment to the right, and Shark takes the one to the left?
Thanee
Pistols have the advantage of being small and easy to hide, but do not have the stopping power of bigger guns, obviously.

Against over the top opponents like these two... yeah, pistols are pretty useless. Better use your spells here.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Waste of time to even shot the gun yes... perhaps the stunbolt would be as inefficient as the sniper rifle wink.gif

Thanee
Yep, stunbolt seems like your best bet here.

Bye
Thanee
Luckace
@thanee: Right, the guy is now dual natured, so fear would hit with no need to materialize. Thanks for pointing that out!
Jack_Spade
28 bnc (jumped into James) -- outside at the kitchen window of the appartement (bnc is in the van): Fried the Warhawk of the second Merc.
27 (E3R8) Assault (Assault Shotgun) -- in front of appartement: Shot through wall at Anna
27 (E3) Anna -- in a neighbouring appartement: Tried to levitate Battery
24 (E7) Nova -- in the staircase: Shot at Battery
23 Battery (Ruger Super Warhawk, Riot Shield) -- in front of appartement: Activated Astral Perception and Weapon Focus
22 Aeraziel (Wraith's Spirit) -- in astral space: Using Fear on Battery
17 Sharkboy -- in a neighbouring appartement
15 bnc's Rotodrone -- outside at the lving room window of the appartement:
13 Enemy Spirit -- in the astral outside the appartment
13 Wraith -- Downstairs flat:

?? Ritual Mage -- in the appartement (assumed)

Sharkboy is up
Volker
The drone currently has neither autosofts nor commands, meaning it will not perform any actions when it's its turn.
Luckace
Logic+Willpoer=12? Damn, this merc is a lot smarter than I had expected biggrin.gif
Jack_Spade
Not smarter, but it should be obvious by now that he is a burn out adept focused on defense
Gilga
Anna will order her spirit to help once she understands a magical threat.

Initiative: 14+3d6 20 I assume it mean he'll either join next round, or have a single action.

SquirrelDude
I think it's my turn?

Regardless, I'll try to relieve the gunslinger of his gun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012