Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chummer Character Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Mantis
Nope, it is no longer being updated. I did the last one, which was to add the weapons from Gun Heaven 3 but since I don't have the skills to actually code the program (adding gear is easy, mostly just copy paste and following the format), I can't make any changes and no one else has stepped up.
So Chummer is what it is for now.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Jan 19 2014, 02:46 PM) *
I'm not sure if updates are being done to Chummer anymore, but I noticed something that I figured would have been fixed a LONG time ago when putting together a character.

Per RC page 73, SURGE characters get a number of BPs for Qualities that do not count towards the 35 BP cap dependent on the Class of SURGE they are. Class 1 gets 10 Positive and 5 Negative; Class 2 gets 20 Positive and 10 Negative; Class 3 gets 30 Positive and 15 Negative.

When I select one of the levels, it appears as if the Positive BPs that I should get as a bonus are halved. That is, when I add Class 1 SURGE I am only getting 5 Positive BPs and not 10. The same thing applies for Class 2 and Class 3 in that the amount of Positive BPs is being calculated wrong.

I hope someone is still looking at this application and doing updates?
Try completing the selection of SURGE/Metagenetic qualities, both positive & negative, then look at the BP calculation totals.
Severus Snape
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jan 20 2014, 01:01 AM) *
Try completing the selection of SURGE/Metagenetic qualities, both positive & negative, then look at the BP calculation totals.

I tried that and it fails.

When I add Class III SURGE, the program does a calculation and alters the number of BP spent to compensate for the free BP you are supposed to get for metagenetic qualities. So I tried adding SURGE III first, and the calculation is being done wrong. You are supposed to get 30 Positive and 15 Negative. If you take a look at the calculations pane on the right side, you'll see that the program adds +15 Negative BP, which is expected. However, it is only subtracting -15 BP from the positive portion, when it should be subtracting 30. It seems that it is subtracting the same amount from Positive that it is adding to the Negative, when it should be subtracting twice the Negative amount from the Positive.

I tested this with all three SURGE categories, and it's always the same thing - whatever is added to Negative is subtracted from Positive, even though the subtraction should be twice the Negative.

Now, I'm a programmer and data guy by trade in real life, so I'd love to look at the code behind the application to see what's going on. If the amounts to be calculated are somewhere in one of the XML files, I'd love to hear which one so I can run through it and make sure that the amounts are correct OR change them if they are wrong.

Anyone?
Severus Snape
UPDATE

I just opened the file qualities.xml and took a look to see if the SURGE qualities (Class I, Class II, Class III) had the bonus BP listed. They do, and the amounts are all correct for what each level should give. So I went back into Chummer and, one at a time, added each of the SURGE categories to make sure of what I was seeing. Sure enough, the amounts for Negative bonus BP are correct, but the Positive bonus BP matches the Negative value and not what it should be for Positive.

Based on my research, this is an issue with the code in the application and not the xml file. Without the code, I cannot fix this issue. Does anyone know if Nebular is willing to pass this project on to someone else to maintain? Is it possible to get the code behind the application so that this can be fixed?
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Jan 20 2014, 07:32 PM) *
.. snip ..
Does anyone know if Nebular is willing to pass this project on to someone else to maintain? Is it possible to get the code behind the application so that this can be fixed?
The source is all available. See this earlier post for details.
Severus Snape
So I took a look at the link you provided, and the latest build that is uploaded at Google Docs is build 458. A quick check of Chummer shows that the last build I have downloaded for updates is 490. Anybody have the latest build code? Any chance we could convince Nebular to upload build 490 to google docs?
Severus Snape
UPDATE
I downloaded the zip file for build 458, and there is no code in there. All that zip file contains is...the application you can download from Chummergen.com. Where is the actual code for the application?
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Jan 21 2014, 11:45 AM) *
UPDATE
I downloaded the zip file for build 458, and there is no code in there. All that zip file contains is...the application you can download from Chummergen.com. Where is the actual code for the application?
See code.google.com/p/chummer/source/checkout for details about getting it using SVN, or start from there, then use browse to svn/trunk/chummer to just have a look.
Severus Snape
Uck. I can write code, but setting up SVN on my machine? Uck.

I'll give it a crack and see if I can do this.

Uck.
Severus Snape
Ok, I've got Tortoise installed, and I've got a repository on my machine to run the code through Visual Studio. So I set a few breakpoints around where the Qualities are updated, and....the list of qualities isn't correct. It's not complete, to be precise. So on my local machine, I take the full copy and drop it in the debug folder, and it doesn't update.

Need to know where the code is pointing to for the list of qualities so I can proceed. I am not overtly seeing the path location in the code, so any help on locating which file is being used would be a great help here.
Severus Snape
I'm a dolt...on all counts.

I figured out that in VS I needed to be going against DEBUG and not RELEASE, which helped the issue I was having regarding which Qualities file I was looking at.

I also figured out that the total number of BP being calculated is correct - not only am I blind, but my math is bad too.

Wow, am I an idiot.

I'll still continue to use Chummer, and if I can figure out how this whole Subversion/Checking In/Checking out thing works, maybe I'll help maintain this. Who knows.
SpellBinder
I'm surprised you're having calculation issues in Chummer regarding the Changeling qualities. I did a Changeling (Class II SURGE) (10) with Glamour (15), Nasty Vibe (5), & Neoteny (-10), and no other qualities and Chummer shows "Positive Qualities 10 BP" & "Negative Qualities 0 BP" like it should. With no BP spent on anything else it says I have 390 BP remaining from the standard 400.
Severus Snape
Yeah, it wasn't Chummer that was an issue. PEBCAK issue.
grindoctor
Maybe this is a redundant question, but are there any news about Chummer SR5? The last info update on the Chummer site was from june 2013. Anything newer? Preferably a release time frame biggrin.gif
Cheers from Norway!
KarmaInferno
The creator Nebular has ceased development on Chummer, and has expressed no interest in creating a 5th edition version.

As noted in the previous few points, he has released the source code if anyone else wants to take a crack at making a 5th edition version.

-k
The Overlord
I REALLY wish someone would do so. After using Chummer for a while i got so use to it that i hate using spread sheets.
Nergal
Gentlemen. I've encountered some weird problem with Chummer.
Once upon a time I had Chummer working perfectly. Today, after a couple of OS reinstalls and hardware updates, I find out, that trying to run Chummer gives me an annoying appcrash problem claiming that the program stopped working due to some CLR20r3 problem.
Google gave me a couple of results, but no solutions offered worked for me. Maybe someone here may help me?
Thanks in advance.
SpellBinder
First thought would be to ask if your .NET framework is up to date after your OS reinstall.
Nergal
NET Framework was installed. Was reinstalled. Was installed after cleaning out with a cleanup tool. Some of the answers I found did talk about doing it. But it did not help.
I know that NET Framework is not the most stable thing in the world, and in often causes problems.

The problem is solved. When in doubt - reinstall OS!
SpellBinder
Just making sure about the .NET bit. A quick google search mentioned that kind of error and .NET not getting installed properly. But whatever the cause, it's good to read it's working for you again.
Nergal
Yeah, before I posted here, I did Google the matter, and it mentioned NET Framework. But no amount of reinstalling and cleaning with different software helped me. It looks like my OS had to go =)
Vulcanisik
I just posted this on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments...val_btc_reward/
justkelly
found this on shadowruntabletop

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=15185.0
Vulcanisik
Yeah, I've been checking that out too. It's a good nice start so far.
Umidori
QUOTE (The Overlord @ Mar 2 2014, 06:22 PM) *
I REALLY wish someone would do so. After using Chummer for a while i got so use to it that i hate using spread sheets.

I think we're gonna be waiting on this for a while, at least until more books come out with more Chargen rulings for 5E.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the most dedicated members of the fanbase are disappointed with 5E, or are still on the fence and holding off. After all, they're the kinds of community members who would go to the trouble of making a new version of Chummer.

~Umi
wilcoxon
QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 13 2014, 01:43 AM) *
I think we're gonna be waiting on this for a while, at least until more books come out with more Chargen rulings for 5E.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the most dedicated members of the fanbase are disappointed with 5E, or are still on the fence and holding off. After all, they're the kinds of community members who would go to the trouble of making a new version of Chummer.

Quick divergence on SR5...

Yeah. Mystic Adepts were a little over-powered in the main book but the errata went too far and makes them sub-par (except very specific builds). Wireless Bonuses are a good idea generally but a lot of the ones actually given don't make any sense. Deckers can brick any wireless device and cause it to stop functioning (umm, since when does bricking the electronics in a gun cause it to stop going bang-bang?).

As you said, lots of people on the fence and lots of heavy disagreements on the shadowruntabletop forums around SR5.

That said, the link someone else put up looks promising - the program reads (at least as a one-time import) Chummer data files. I have not had a chance to actually use the program yet so can't really say how well it works (so far, I've been using a heavily modified spreadsheet originally created by Telles for SR5 chargen).
SpellBinder
Digging through piecemail translation of the German print Arsenal I found that the Mercedes IG310 Igel has two too many modification slots available, and one extra "Additional Fuel Tank" than it should. Now I can certainly correct the XML of my own, but if there's any chance of such a minor correction otherwise.

Also, and completely unrelated, has anyone else had issues with creating True Drake characters? Seems that the bit in the qualities that increase a character's Essence to 8 throws an error when re-opening the character sheet at a later date. A workaround I found is to edit the Essence code from the qualities, and simply add an Improvement once in career mode.
justkelly
New update available for SR5 generator.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index....w;topicseen#new
Aresius
Hi, I found a weapon mod wrongly translated into German.

The term used for "Firing Selection Change" in the german books is "Feuermodusänderung".

In the current de_data.xml, it is translated as "Munitionswechselautomatik".

"Munitionswechselautomatik" is the term used in the german translation for "Ammo Skip System" as correctly included in the data file, too.

Here is the patch to fix this issue:

CODE
--- D:/Chummer/orig/lang/de_data.xml    Thu Apr 10 05:15:07 2014
+++ D:/Chummer/new/lang/de_data.xml    Thu Apr 10 05:27:57 2014
@@ -32380,33 +32380,33 @@
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Small Mod (SS)</name>
-                <page>159</page>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (EM)</translate>
+                <page>157</page>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, kleine Modifikation (EM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Small Mod (SA)</name>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (HM)</translate>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, kleine Modifikation (HM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Small Mod (BF)</name>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (SM)</translate>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, kleine Modifikation (SM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Small Mod (FA)</name>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (AM)</translate>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, kleine Modifikation (AM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Large Mod (BF)</name>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (SM)</translate>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, große Modifikation (SM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Firing Selection Change, Large Mod (FA)</name>
-                <translate>Munitionswechselautomatik (AM)</translate>
+                <translate>Feuermodusänderung, große Modifikation (AM)</translate>
            </mod>
            <mod>
                <name>Flashlight, Infrared</name>

Greetings
Tyro
QUOTE (justkelly @ Mar 30 2014, 01:02 PM) *
New update available for SR5 generator.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index....w;topicseen#new

*CHEER*

Thanks for the heads up!
justkelly
Where can I find the chummer book abreviations?
SpellBinder
As in which abbreviation goes to which book? You can open the Chummer/data/books.xml file in Notepad or some other text reader. Not that difficult to read after that.
Warderbrad
Hi all,
I am trying to decide which version of SR to run for my group. I have found a bug in Chummer for 4th that is kinda annoying and it makes me consider 5th (plus the volume of books to learn with 4th is daunting). Has all bug fixing and everything on 4th edition of Chummer ended?

I ask as the bug I found is when you make a character with multiple knowledge skills in the same major field, once you save and reload the specialties of those skills gets all set to the same thing.
For instance:
I make a character with knowledge: Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Longarms, then Firearms - Ammunition.
I save and reload and they appear as: Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Pistols

I checked the saved file and they appear correct in the character file. So I am not sure why when it loads this gets messed up.
bannockburn
The bug is not a bug, since you can only have one specialization per skill. That goes for knowledge skills, too.
Still, it would probably be sensible to disallow duplicate entries.
Warderbrad
Ah I thought that for Knowledge skills it was allowed as it was showing what aspects of the base knowledge you learned. But your explanation makes sense.
SpellBinder
If it's okay by your GM to do this, you can break up the Knowledge skills to be more specific, like "Firearms (Pistols)" and "Firearms (Longarms)"

I believe the 'bug' you're finding is that Chummer is assuming that the three Firearms Knowledge skills you're listing are all the exact same skill, and therefore not recognizing the attempted multiple specializations.

Otherwise, yes, Nebular, the creator of Chummer, has ended support for the SR4 since there is next to no new printed material for an edition that is now over. What extras are showing up in the SR5 books are leftovers that did not quite make it in the SR4 publication run, and I wager many of us still using the SR4 version can re-code the XML data files to include these afterthought items (like the Ares Predator III or the Harrowed negative quality).
wilcoxon
QUOTE (Warderbrad @ Sep 2 2014, 04:34 PM) *
Hi all,
I am trying to decide which version of SR to run for my group. I have found a bug in Chummer for 4th that is kinda annoying and it makes me consider 5th (plus the volume of books to learn with 4th is daunting). Has all bug fixing and everything on 4th edition of Chummer ended?

I ask as the bug I found is when you make a character with multiple knowledge skills in the same major field, once you save and reload the specialties of those skills gets all set to the same thing.
For instance:
I make a character with knowledge: Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Longarms, then Firearms - Ammunition.
I save and reload and they appear as: Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Pistols, then Firearms - Pistols

I checked the saved file and they appear correct in the character file. So I am not sure why when it loads this gets messed up.

Personally, after having played SR5, I would say to stick with SR4 for now. Yes, there is more material to learn but there is also a *lot* more options for characters. The Street Magic equivalent book has come out for SR5 (but I don't have it yet) but the equivalent books to Arsenal, Augmentation, and (especially) Runners Companion are not out yet and the added content is sorely missed when playing SR5 (general character options, gear customization options, other cyber/bio ware, etc). I may be misremembering but it seems like Catalyst is taking much longer to release the SR5 books than they did with SR4.
Redjack
Chummer 4 is no longer actively supported.

The Chummer 5 thread is HERE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012