Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: SR 4 OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Sedna)
Ah -- and not completely compiled after all: I don't have most of the ASVW Daedalus posts. Sorry.

That's alright. I have pretty much all of that up to the last few pages of the run.
grendel
For consistancy's sake, here are the formatting rules I've been using during my wiki updates:

1. Date/time stamp plus location: bold

2. Character internal dialogue: italicized

3. Electronic communication: italicized

4. Crosslinking: generally only the location in the date/time stamp unless another distinct locale is mentioned during the conversation in the post. Generally only one link to a particular character is required per post.

5. non-english words: italicized

Are we going to bold character names like we do here on the boards? So far I haven't as that seemed to be the standard to date, but in Dragon's compiled story names are bolded. I don't care one way or another, but we should be consistent about it.
Mister Juan
I would say let's not bold names just because we have to do it by hand and it's stupidly long wink.gif Dragon's first page only had two posts, so that might be why they are bolded.

As of now, I'm only busying myself porting over what I already had compiled up. After that, I'll review the content to format it properly. After that, I'll add whatever crosslinking might be necessary. And at last, I'll actually proofread it for things like "comm chatter", consistency, new locations or NPCs we might have forgotten, etc...
grendel
Yeah, that seemed to be the most effecient way to do it. Transfer in bulk then refine to correct formatting and include crosslinks. I'm working on Tony now.
Mister Juan
Just started Dragon. Once I'm done with him, I'll take care of Short Victorious War... since that will take care of about 5 characters.
Sedna
If you use these codes, then it becomes very easy afterwards to format them whatever way we want. Yes, they do have to be entered initially by hand, but then they can be sweepingly formatted or altered by changing only a few letters in one place.

<span class="npc">Name of NPC</span>

Other identified classes: "pc", " "place".

And for communication and totem names: "radio", "cellphone", "magic".

Any others we want?
Sedna
Sends up flares:

*** HEY WINTERRAT! ARE YOU THERE? ***

wavey.gif
grendel
Perhaps I am a miscreation,
No one knows the truth,
There is no future here.
And you're the deejay speaks to my insomnia
And laughs at all I have to fear,
Laughs at all I had to fear.
You always play the madmen poets,
Vinyl vision grungy bands,
You never know who's still awake,
You never know who understands and

Are you out there, can you hear this,
Jimmy Olsen, Johnny Memphis
I was out here listening all the time,
And though the static walls surround me
You were out there, and you found me,
I was out here listening all the time.

Last night we drank in parking lots,
And why do we drink, I guess we do it cause.
And when I turned your station on,
You sounded more familiar than that party was,
You were more familiar than that party,
It's the first time I stayed up all night,
It's getting light, I hear the birds,
I'm driving home on empty streets,
I think I put my shirt on backwards,

Are you out there, can you hear this,
Jimmy Olsen, Johnny Memphis
I was out here listening all the time,
And though the static walls surround me
You were out there, and you found me,

What's the future, who will choose it,
Politics of love and music,
Underdogs who turn the table,
Indie verus major labels,
There's so much to see through,
Like our parents do more drugs than we do.

Corporate parents, corporate town,
I know every TV set that has them lit.
They preach that I should save the world
They pray that I won't do a better job of it,
Pray that I won't do a better job,
So tonight I turn your station on,
Just so I'd be understood,
Instead another voice said I was just too late and just no good.

Calling Olsen, calling Memphis,
I am calling, can you hear this?
And I will write this down and then
I will not be alone again, yeah,
I was out here listening,
I was out here listening,
I am out here listening all the time.

Are you out there? - Dar Williams
WinterRat1
I'm here. I just haven't had a chance to post the last two days, other than the brief comments I put up on Infiltration Challenge. I didn't miss your earlier post, I will reply to LITS related matters today. Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for the prompt. smile.gif

bclements
Heh, grendel has good taste in music. smile.gif

Cthulhu: post upcoming this afternoon.
WinterRat1
OK, off to the catching up.

First, regarding potential LITS publishing:

Lightly discussing. I think this is the first time the talk has turned really serious at all.

Meh. Details. smile.gif

Almost certainly you are going to want more volumes than you suggest. Another possibility other than the strictly chronological or character-based is to have one volume dedicated to (for example) Erebus and D&DV3 up to the completion of your airport scenario. Or, to take the Alleycat example, compile the PCs Cao Jaan, Blaze, Knight, Scrapheap, Slipshade, and Alleycat into a single volume culminating with the Warehouse fight. While each player certainly has best insight into their own PC, Mr Juan is probably in the best overview position to suggest similar groupings and logical cutoffs.

So by storyline huh? I like that idea. It keeps things reasonably chronological, but focuses on a particular set of characters/storyline so there's continuity and the transitions don't seem quite so jarring.

Offhand, I'm guessing that up to this point we'd be looking at about four or five volumes, in this format.

The GMs would have to coordinate on that. We'd have to discuss how many 'storylines' we had running, and then talk to Mister Juan about how he thought we could fit the pieces together.

You're looking at about 2-3 dedicated weeks minimum per 200-page volume, more if you want a glued or sewn binding. (A bit less time for that one in particular, since I've already got much of it in Word format, and what I've got, I'd already lightly edited for typos and grammar.) I've heard about publishing options that allow for printing only one or two books at a time, but it's still the most expensive route to go. The nastiest thing about that option is that you really do have to have all the text to begin formatting the text properly.

Define the term 'dedicated weeks'. Do you mean like a full time job, 8 hours a day for 2-3 weeks, or just all our free time would be taken up for 2-3 weeks? I have no idea how to go about publishing, so you'll have to talk to me at least with the 'Idiot's Guide to Publishing' in mind. smile.gif

See below for my comments regarding having all the text to begin formatting it properly.

There's several other possible paths to take. Easiest, perhaps, and definitely cheapest is to format for roughly the same size as our SR books but with comb, velo, or spiral binding, preferably with stiffened covers. This sidesteps the normally high-volume commercial printer/binder and moves it fully to desktop/local neighbourhood printer. I don't need completed text to start putting this one together. This also makes it much simpler and cheaper to insert a page or three of colour graphics or pictures: since you're not having to pay colour cost for the full signature (group of pages sewn together).

I am absolutely voting on the easiest/simplest method (and cheapest is good too!) available to us.

The method above sounds flexible which is important, and we definitely want the method that's the least pain-in-the-butt. We're doing this as an aside, strictly for fun, and in addition to everything else we all do with our lives, we still have to actually play in LITS. wink.gif So any method that is the lowest investment time-wise gets my vote, because I think overall it'll be easiest on all of us.

Anyone here an artist? If you want an image for a front cover, one possibility might be a standard LitS logo and template, with a montage of the PCs featured in that particular volume, either drawn or adapted from photographs. For print purposes, the minimum resolution has to be 300 px, and preferably higher.

I am zero help here. My creative abilities suck when it comes to anything artistic. If we're going to go with pictures for the PCs, I nominate Vegas to take charge in helping people find pictures for their PCs. Her search-fu at that stuff is awesome! I also think it would be cool to have an LITS logo/template for all our volumes.

For this project, I don't suggest a chapbook format!

I'll take your word for it, since you have actual publishing experience and I don't even know what a chapbook is!

So that's where that stands for now: until I know more of true interest.

Well then, the call's gone out folks? Who's interested in helping put together the LITS print books for our own personal enjoyment? I don't know what exactly we would need in the form of assistance, so Sedna perhaps it would be helpful if you'd describe a bit more what kind of work is involved in our potential self-publishing project.

I know I'm up for it, but not at the expense of our other projects. For example, I really like what people have started doing with the wiki (look for me to start adding my own contributions to it as I have time) because I think it'll be a tremendously helpful resource for us in the long haul. Furthermore, if we need all the text before we can begin formatting it, then certainly it's to our benefit to finish compiling all the story posts in a universal format. In summary, I'm in, as long as we can do it without comprising LITS the game for LITS the novel.

I'd say this definitely falls under our 'long-term project' category, so for now, let's get a sense of people's interest (if any) and what specifically we would need to do to make this actually happen.
Mister Juan
Well, I like the idea a lot, but I will of course concentrate on my already given task.
As for "image" stuff: well, as some of you might know, I work a profesionnal photographer, so if given enough time, I can probably make up something interesting enough.

For exemple, those who might have seen the DITG wiki, might have notice that my PC, Felix, has a picture up. It's a picture I took myself... of.... well... me...
With accurate description of the all the PCs, or what we would be looking for in terms of visuals, I can probably cook something up.
Sedna
Actually, it's relatively short-term for at least two storylines: and I'd suggest finishing those two before we tackle the others. If we get started on the soon side of now, we'll be in a position to have those two volumes completely done less than a week after they come to completion in-thread. We can add more -- are any other storylines at a clear resolution point?

In other words, assuming actual regular posting, wink.gif we should be able to have at least one and maybe two volumes completed by Christmas.

First of all, I would want to know how many people would want these volumes. Say they are ~200 finalised double-sided pages each (same general size as an SR sourcebook), comb- or spiral-bound, eight colour pages, with all work but the printing and binding done by us: estimated cost per printed book on standard stock would be ~ $20 per book + shipping. (Leave in there a 10% variation + or -.) If we want a better paper (heavier bond, gloss), price will go up, but it won't be harsh. I'm already assuming the heaviest photocopy-able cardstock for the covers: not as nice as the SR covers, but far cheaper to print.

I'm taking it for a given that I'll be the one page-formatting and turning it into something pretty.

Unlike with the website (where I'm still learning on a steep learning curve as I'm going), time estimates for anything editing-related on my side are absolute. Depending on its condition, I can usually completely clean up between 10-15 pages -- grammar, formatting, everything -- per day. That still leaves me free to do other things. (I used to go through about 5-10 times that amount when I was running the medical journal.)

Three specific jobs for anyone who wants them:

(1) Dividing the threads into logical storylines involving at least two but usually no more than four PCs. (The Warehouse is a bit of an exception, since some of those PCs are no longer active.) The text here can be raw as you like. Just notate whatever specific formatting came from the original post.

(2) Tracking down high quality pictures, or improving the quality of those we do have. PCs, rosaries, cars, anything we have ever tossed about on the website or in the definition of our PCs. Photography, straight digital, whatever works. (I've got a small non-Kiera Knightly collection for Alleycat, but I haven't checked non-web resolution.) Don't forget maps! I'll suggest maps are either half or full page-size (6" x 8 1/2", after we allow for gutters). As to pictures: I'll suggest a general (but flexible) guideline of a maximum quarter of that size, but not smaller than 1 1/2" square. Absolute minimum resolution is 300x, higher is much better.

Pictures get sent to the storyline person, who figures out where generally they should go and notes this in the text for me.

(3) Cover artwork, front and back, coordinating with whoever is working on collecting the pictures. Since you mention you are a photographer, Mister Juan: maybe you might be able to get better and higher quality colour covers printed up more cheaply than I could? I'd be happy to leave that part in your hands.

That completely covers the work involved and the division of the tasks.

If this is a go, I'll also be tossing up a couple of polls in about a week where we can choose among a couple of specifics of appearance against price.

So there's a broad procedural outline.
Cthulhu449
Off topic, the wiki is a really awesome resource and it isn't even done yet so thanks for setting that up. As it gets updated I have learned that I accidently ended up in the most common runner demographic of "Russian immigrant" and that all contacts are super good looking movie stars. smile.gif These people shouldn't be in the shadows they should be in serialized sci-fi shows or terrorists in action movies, not real terrorists!
WinterRat1

Alleycat would have marked A11 and A12 long since. Is there anything whatsoever that stood out about either of them, ie. by way of pointing them out to someone else?

Nothing noteworthy, other than the fact that they're obviously affiliated with the 'A group'. Are you looking for something specific here?

Of the same nature as if I were to point you out on a crowded street to someone else and say, "That one. The one with the [x]." In other words, just something she can quickly identify to someone else. It's possible there might not be anything to which she can easily point.

Nothing in particular separates them from the rest of the A's, so no, nothing along the lines of what you specified.

No, the catwalk will not buck, neither will the shelves, although they might rock a little. I wouldn't expect them to fall over though.

Oh frag. I'll hope at least for unstable footing for those two on top.

It's reasonable to expect they'll have at least unstable footing for an IP or so.

First attack is a given -- and if that doesn't succeed, the rest won't matter. wink.gif Sorry for the extended detail here: but this part is important.

"Assuming they don't notice her" is not in the book in describing superior position -- in fact, it's very specifically differentiated from the full "not aware" that allows no defence whatsoever. This use of Infiltration is explicitly mentioned in this context: ie as the only way that defenders wouldn't get the situational awareness default. It's not necessary to have an opponent unaware of you to have superior position. She just needs to come up behind them for that: and for the first attack at least, your map suggests she can accomplish that -- since B6 at least doesn't have an action left, this IP. (p.148: Superior Position) I didn't say it earlier, but I also have to wait for B7 to commit to an action this IP before acting at all. She doesn't intend to lose her action though. Odds are that he'll move this IP to take advantage of Scrapheap next IP before Alleycat has to commit -- and that's the moment I intend to seize.

I misremembered the specifics on Superior Position vs. Surprise. You are correct in your above assertions. Given your previous comment, I thought you were only using the superior position situation as a building block to an argument that you conceivably should be able to put them in a surprise situation.

Therefore, if you go with an Infiltration roll and win an Opposed Test vs. their Perception, I'd most likely grant surprise per pg. 148 that would prevent them from defending, but if you choose to forgo the Infiltration roll and simply attack from behind, you will get the Superior Position modifier.

I'm also assuming generally that Alleycat has to stay on top of the catwalks to obtain her standard movement: ie. under the catwalk is also right out. Anything else would require a simple or complex action.

Correct.

[ Spoiler ]

OK I think that addresses all your Warehouse-related comments Sedna.

If I'm not mistaken, we're on your action now, since the grenade just went off and Lady Dove completed her action. Am I correct?
WinterRat1
Grendel -

Not easy. You'll have to actually open panels on the aircraft to get to the oxygen system, because it pulls air from outside the aircraft, mixes it with air rammed through the aircraft's engines to warm it, then runs it through a compressor to increase the pressure. Assuming you take the time necessary to expose the piping, the actual installation and setup of the gas grenades won't be overly difficult.

Wait, so is it 'not easy' or is it 'not overly difficult'?

Or were you trying to say that prepping the plane's ventilation system will be difficult, but assuming that we do so, the actual installation and setup of the gas grenades won't be overly difficult? Is that correct?

Cedric - In case you didn't see it, I posted you a reply on July 30, and I'm going to wait for your IC move-forward post unless you need something else from me, since I think we're pretty much in agreement by now.
WinterRat1
Must...resist...urge...to make one of my contacts look like Jessica Alba...
WinterRat1
Actually, it's relatively short-term for at least two storylines: and I'd suggest finishing those two before we tackle the others. If we get started on the soon side of now, we'll be in a position to have those two volumes completely done less than a week after they come to completion in-thread. We can add more -- are any other storylines at a clear resolution point?

That would be outstanding if we could get these done that quickly! All my PCs are currently tied up in the Warehouse Group storyline, and I'm guessing that's one of the storylines you're referring to as being near completion.

As an aside, if that fight is going to be the end of one of the volumes, I almost feel like it's a bit anticlimactic so far...maybe I need to spice this combat up a bit to make it more cinematic! wink.gif

In other words, assuming actual regular posting, we should be able to have at least one and maybe two volumes completed by Christmas.

Now THAT is a great Christmas present! And if we can pull it off, I'm totally giving it to my fiance to read. "It's just a book some friends and I wrote together honey! Read it and tell me what you think. <Under my breath> As you step further into the dark side..." smile.gif

First of all, I would want to know how many people would want these volumes. Say they are ~200 finalised double-sided pages each (same general size as an SR sourcebook), comb- or spiral-bound, eight colour pages, with all work but the printing and binding done by us: estimated cost per printed book on standard stock would be ~ $20 per book + shipping. (Leave in there a 10% variation + or -.) If we want a better paper (heavier bond, gloss), price will go up, but it won't be harsh. I'm already assuming the heaviest photocopy-able cardstock for the covers: not as nice as the SR covers, but far cheaper to print.

I definitely want one! biggrin.gif

I'm taking it for a given that I'll be the one page-formatting and turning it into something pretty.

That would probably be a good idea, seeing as how to my knowledge, you're the only one of us with professional publishing experience. wink.gif

(1) Dividing the threads into logical storylines involving at least two but usually no more than four PCs. (The Warehouse is a bit of an exception, since some of those PCs are no longer active.) The text here can be raw as you like. Just notate whatever specific formatting came from the original post.

This is probably going to be the really ugly one, and I confess that right now, I don't have time to help with this one. Once the stories are up on the wiki for easy reference, and my wedding and condo purchase are settled, I may be able to chip in here, since I was planning on reviewing my PCs storylines anyway.

Sedna, would you want the posts for each storyline arranged in chronological order or just the raw text?

(2) Tracking down high quality pictures, or improving the quality of those we do have. PCs, rosaries, cars, anything we have ever tossed about on the website or in the definition of our PCs. Photography, straight digital, whatever works. (I've got a small non-Kiera Knightly collection for Alleycat, but I haven't checked non-web resolution.) Don't forget maps! I'll suggest maps are either half or full page-size (6" x 8 1/2", after we allow for gutters). As to pictures: I'll suggest a general (but flexible) guideline of a maximum quarter of that size, but not smaller than 1 1/2" square. Absolute minimum resolution is 300x, higher is much better.

Pictures get sent to the storyline person, who figures out where generally they should go and notes this in the text for me.

I can at least try to help with this part, since I have some ideas of what the setting/world/characters/whatever look like. I nominate Vegas again to assist people with this, since she's great at it. smile.gif

If this is a go, I'll also be tossing up a couple of polls in about a week where we can choose among a couple of specifics of appearance against price.

Sounds good. Everyone else, feel free to chip in with your thoughts!
WinterRat1
I ported over the Combat Turn 4 information to the wiki and set up a separate Warehouse Fight page for easy reference. Mister Juan, Vegas, Grendel, Sedna, whoever, please feel free to clean it up as you deem appropriate.

Currently the section includes:
- Scrapheap's actions for each IP
- Running 'play by play' of actions for Combat Turn 4

Check it out, it's helped me a ton in running combat on the wiki and I think it'll be very useful here as well.

GM Staff - I will add Locations and NPCs to the wiki as I am able.
Sedna
As an aside, if that fight is going to be the end of one of the volumes, I almost feel like it's a bit anticlimactic so far...maybe I need to spice this combat up a bit to make it more cinematic!

*cough* *sputter* ... anticlimactic?!?!? If those two weren't in an immediate position to place Scrapheap and NPCs into a nasty crossfire that very much could take all of them down in a single turn, I'd never never never be considering this course of action!! What I wouldn't give for just one in-between complex action!

Fixing action as stated in the spoiler ... and hoping.

Edit: whoops, forgot I hadn't exactly specified:

Free action: movement, using what stealth/audio-visual cover is possible without sacrificing movement, to get within voice range

Complex action: Commanding Voice -- "Jump down on those men!" (Counting on that situational awareness you mentioned: there are only two, maybe three who fit that description: and none of them are us.) Yes, I've de-spoilered it: the previous text made it pretty damn obvious, after all.

Free action: held, in case I need it for movement or something.

And you need a roll: just a second, Irony isn't loading:
[ Spoiler ]
grendel
QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Or were you trying to say that prepping the plane's ventilation system will be difficult, but assuming that we do so, the actual installation and setup of the gas grenades won't be overly difficult? Is that correct?

Getting to the ventilation system: time consuming and difficult.

Setting up the gas grenades: quick and easy.
Sedna
I hate continually using only one or two examples, as though no other storylines were active. However, the Dragon/Erebus storyline culminating at the airport (and including the earlier Virgil/Daedalus posts), along with the Warehouse storyline, were the first to begin, so I suppose it's only logical that they might be the first to come to a clear break point.

I'm going to be looking forward to working with the other storylines, just so I can get myself fully re-grounded!
Sedna, would you want the posts for each storyline arranged in chronological order or just the raw text?

As long as I have in my hands all the posts involved, I don't care if they're in chronological order. That's just another part of the sorting out.

However, since they'll be pulled from Mister Juan's work with the wiki, they probably will be, by default.

WinterRat: I'd just as soon if you didn't volunteer here. You're already over-extended, and keeping the DitG and LitS storylines lively and balancing the Player GM/player ratio is going to need all the attention you can spare. As you've already discovered, you can miss a lot in just a single day ... and don't think you are going to have more spare time post marriage and condo!

If we want these volumes, I need one or maybe two (other) volunteers. Mister Juan, you're in charge of Special Projects. You've already been suckered into volunteering your photographic expertise. grinbig.gif Would you take over the recruitment as well?
WinterRat1
Mister Juan - If you try to edit some pages on the LITS wiki (specifically the Combat Chart) there's a long black strip on the far right of the editable text section that makes reading impossible. Is there any way we can fix that?
WinterRat1
Sedna - I added your actions to the Combat Chart, I'll probably get to resolving them Sunday, because it's late and I have some PMs I still need to write.

*cough* *sputter* ... anticlimactic?!?!? If those two weren't in an immediate position to place Scrapheap and NPCs into a nasty crossfire that very much could take all of them down in a single turn, I'd never never never be considering this course of action!! What I wouldn't give for just one in-between complex action!

Is this your way of telling me you think the combat is plenty intense as it is? smile.gif

Vegas - You have an IC post from me that's up, I'm waiting on you, in case you hadn't noticed.

WinterRat: I'd just as soon if you didn't volunteer here. You're already over-extended, and keeping the DitG and LitS storylines lively and balancing the Player GM/player ratio is going to need all the attention you can spare. As you've already discovered, you can miss a lot in just a single day ... and don't think you are going to have more spare time post marriage and condo!

If we want these volumes, I need one or maybe two (other) volunteers. Mister Juan, you're in charge of Special Projects. You've already been suckered into volunteering your photographic expertise. grinbig.gif Would you take over the recruitment as well?

Understood, and I'm actually relieved to hear that. I felt I needed to volunteer, but I definitely wasn't sure where I'd manufacture the time.

You heard her people! Volunteers anyone? biggrin.gif
WinterRat1
Slipshade - Go ahead and post your action OOC for me please.
Vegas
WR

Sorry I haven't responded. Life flared up suddenly with emergencies and work and then all hell broke loose here in Minneapolis. Been kind of laying low for a little while. I'll be getting back to the swing of things this week as soon as I can.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Mister Juan - If you try to edit some pages on the LITS wiki (specifically the Combat Chart) there's a long black strip on the far right of the editable text section that makes reading impossible. Is there any way we can fix that?

I don't see any long black strips.... could be something like your browser not refreshing properly... or something with your screen resolution...... I dunno...
bclements
WR1, not noticing it either (1024x768 and 1400x1050 resolutions)

Cthulhu: you're clear to post, but don't post past about 3 minutes in-game time.
bclements
Cthulhu449 (7-15 to 8-5): 3 + 1 Quality = 4 points

Konsaki (7/15 to 8-5): 3 points

Cedric Rolfsson (7/15 to 8-5): 3 + 1 Fuel-Air Explosive Potential: 4 points

Grendel (7/15 to 8-5): 3 + 3 GM + 1 quality = 7 points
WinterRat1
BC - You're handing out karma for Cedric's AVgas idea?!?!?!?!?!? mad.gif

For crying out loud, don't ENCOURAGE that sort of thinking!!!

(At least not while Dragon's around him, that is. nyahnyah.gif)
bclements
QUOTE ('WinterRat1')
BC - You're handing out karma for Cedric's AVgas idea?!?!?!?!?!? 

I like to encourage lateral thinking. biggrin.gif

And really, if you're going to come up with an idea like this while Grendel is GM'ing you, I have a feeling that karma may be necessarly shortly.
Sedna
Can we take a straw poll on who would be interested in buying those books?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that WinterRat says "yes". However, I don't think there's much point in making them if he's the only interested person.

Anyone else?
grendel
Yeah, I'd add them to my library.
banditf50
I second that thought. Having a collected volume would be a neat trophy smile.gif
Slipshade
WR1

Run for safety. Until you tell me Max is with ETG at the door that is his only action. Once there I will start slinging spells.
WinterRat1
Slip - Understood. I'll move forward with the Warehouse Combat in the next day or so.
WinterRat1
More information regarding the LITS volumes from Sedna:

I've been looking at book structure, see how to work
this. I've come up with a few rough divisions that I
know are going to come out to about our page goal, but
I haven't yet scratched the surface.

#1: All the beginning + Salvation beginning PCs +
Knight and Scrapheap and Max, from the beginning
through the Salvation meet up to the completion of the
Warehouse fight. Basically this includes every one of
the January 1 starts but Andie and Cosmo. Cosmo gets
her own volume. Andie -- I have plans, which don't
belong in this volume.

This first volume has the earliest and by far the
largest cast of characters (almost a dozen!), but many
have only a few scattered posts. Most of the other
volumes are going to have a maximum of four PCs, more
likely three or two, and some only one. It's entirely
possible that future groupings of PCs might change.

#2: D&DV3 + Erebus from January 3/4 up to the
completion of the airport scenario.

IF posting is steady, these two storylines should be
completed on the reasonably soon side? Since I'm
already working on them and have a tentative template
done, I can have these two volumes completely done a
week after the storyline is completed. That won't be
typical. wink.gif

Cosmo gets one volume to herself for sure, I've
labelled it tentatively #3. Is there a logical
storyline division for her before the Crash? maybe one
that she has already reached? (In which case she
becomes Volume #1. smile.gif ) Otherwise that is going to be
one thick book!

These volume numbers don't quite begin
chronologically. I don't yet know if we can, since we
have to tie the volumes not to chronological in-game
time but to where posters are within the storyline.
Chronologically, the Warehouse people are first, Cosmo
second (by an hour), D&DV3 + Erebus third (by two
days).

Who else has reached or is near a clear storyline
break?

What will be most useful to me FIRST is formatted
timeline text: ie. every post dated the same DAY in
the same file. I really don't care if it is divided
by PC or not, or even if it's chronological within the
day. Formatting -- I don't care if this is actually
done or just notated (ie. [radio][/radio]). I do need
something to indicate the post formatting though.

I already have every post up to and including
Salvation. So I'm mostly looking for consolidated
text Jan 5 and later, as well as further storyline
divisions.

For now I don't care about Shadowland. I will, but
it's not an immediate thing. I also don't need
pictures yet. Say, by late September.

A heads-up: there are posts in the thread which don't
logically fall under any single PC's timeline, but
which will be needed for the compiled book storylines.
Mostly these come from grendel and me: you have,
what, a dozen or so? and I maybe four, not counting
the later Andie ones (which fall under the Andie
storyline). Working PC by PC, they're going to be
easy to miss. It might help if a page by page search
is done by post author.

That should cover the immediate needs.

Finally, I suggest subtitles for each volume, and
maybe for each day? Thus we would have (for example)

LIVING IN THE SHADOWS
Volume Three: Cosmo *
January 1: Sleeping Beauty

* usually this would be an actual title, but for this
volume uniquely her name says it all.
WinterRat1
Warehouse Group – Update to combat tomorrow, sorry for the delay!

Vegas – Ready to roll when I get your reply per our PM discussions

Cedric and Grendel – What exactly are we waiting on since Cedric put up his IC post? Should we be posting IC Grendel, waiting for an IC/OOC reply from you, or something else entirely? I just don’t want us to get bogged down cause none of us knows who’s supposed to go next, and at least to me, it’s unclear right now what the next step is.
Vegas
WR

I'll try to get something cooking tonight. I'm on my way out here in a few. biggrin.gif
Cthulhu449
Hey I have some questions about those books you guys are talking about even though my character wouldn't likely to be included. None of the terms of service for Dumpshock say that what is written on these boards becomes public property or the property of FanPro. Now, I know they aren't going to make a ton of money or anything, but is it permitted to rewrite someone's ideas and then sell the product for any amount of money without their express consent? I'm just curious about how that kinda stuff works out, more for future things I might write on other boards.
Sedna
I swore to get this up before I went off-line today. It's only the first full IC day and only for those storylines which come to a clear resolution point at the Warehouse fight, but also shows rough formatting for the standard structure for the rest of the volumes. Spelling is now American standard. I did slight text editing throughout: I'll be pleased if it now flows so well that you don't notice where I did it. You probably will notice a few places where I edited a bit more heavily, because I left the original version is in brackets; and I'm still working out if I can get a better look for the cellphone / radio tags.

Volume One: The Beginning

Because of expected pictures of all shapes and sizes, I chose for now to use the single-column fiction format over the double-column textbook/SR sourcebook format. (I stuck in a couple of clipart thingies into the intro, so you could see what the layout might look like.) Similarly, Times Roman (a serif font) over Arial (sans-serif). Serifs are those little pointy "tags" you find on some styles of letter but not others.

Preferences?

Colour is deliberately minimal, to keep down costs. Thus far, I've used it only for magical speech: ie. rare but very distinct. I think I'll also try whenever possible to shift pictures to the same pages as also have colour text.

Whenever possible, I'll be trying to begin entries at the top of the page. I know that in this version this has left significant white space at the bottom of a few pages. This will go away once I have pictures and can do full layout.

In answer to your question, Cthulhu449, most sites recognise that postings remain the property of the poster. However, there are a few exceptions -- msn.com leaps to mind -- which explicitly claim rights (not full property transfer) over anything posted on their domain.

Does anyone here have any objections to having their postings collated into books? to be circulated only among us?
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Sedna)
Does anyone here have any objections to having their postings collated into books? to be circulated only among us?

Nope, I really don't.

One thing I was wondering : shouldn't we, for the sake of readability (did I just make up a word?) try to phase out some of the timestamps? For exemple, when there's a long conversation between many characters. I would only keep them when there is a certain time jump, or when changing locations.

I dunno... maybe thats just me.
Cthulhu449
Hey bc, you still not want me to post past a certain point or is Rod's little side trip wrapped up to some extent?

Also, if needed, which I doubt, feel free to gather up my posts for books among the LitSers.
bclements
Go for it, but give me a break to post Roderick's response to anything Leo might say, though.

Also, feel free to toss in a perception check (include mods) anytime you want in a spoiler.

EDIT: also, take what you wish for a book.
Sedna
That's why I tossed it up: to get feedback. smile.gif

I was wondering about the timestamps. In that version I left them in because they do clearly demarcate perspectives and "voices", to such an extent that if I were to just remove them, the text would become distinctly choppy.

Consider for example the Blaze-WinterRat exchange: one post gives Blaze's firm opinion and rat-a-tat questions; then the next tries to answer them and wonders what Blaze would think of those answers; and then the next has Blaze very nearly losing his temper, remembering something from the past. These kinds of exchanges are typical in this post-by-post format. Some exchanges even make it very clear that the GM has no idea how the player intends to react, or even what's going through the PC's head just then.

To remove the spaces between these without a major textual overhaul would feel very odd -- and I don't want to do that if I can help it: it's everyone's words and tone we're wanting, and that necessarily means a pendulum-swing of perspective and style. One option might be to divide posts within a longer section (eg. the Cao Jaan/gangers exchanges) using some kind of central icon, eg.

(But not that one.)

I think in three places I did move a sentence or two from one post to the end of the previous post, for flow-ability. (Hey, German shouldn't be the only language able to do it!)

We still do need location stamps regardless, because the text often doesn't mention them at all.

@ Cthulhu449:

You'd be surprised. smile.gif I'd be even more surprised if we don't end up bringing everyone's story into one or another of the volumes.

I know it's less than relevant to more than half the active players, but I began with the Warehouse group simply because it was first and because it's near a break. Working with this bit of text establishes a general style we can later easily use across all the volumes.
Cthulhu449
[ Spoiler ]
WinterRat1
Warehouse Group - IP 1 IC post is up. Map for the situation as it stands at the beginning of IP 2 has been emailed.

For IP 2, I need a decision from Scrapheap before proceeding. John is currently pinned down by suppressive fire until the end of Phase 11. Do you want to delay action, thus allowing B3, B2, and B1 to act (in that order) before you, or do you want to act at 14, and risk getting hit by the Suppression Fire?

Slipshade - As you can see from the map, Max is almost to safety, if not to safety, and can easily enter ETG's 'pillbox' or make it around the corner this IP. Since you didn't act last round (I just had you running) you essentially have a Delayed Action you can use this IP, as your one action for Combat Turn 4. Let me know if you want to do anything during IP 2.

Sedna - Feel free to start planning your next convoluted action. smile.gif You won't know the effect of your action on B6 until his action this IP.

Let me know if there's any questions.

Also, I can't access wikispaces from my fiance's computer, so I won't update the wiki until tomorrow. Sorry about the delay.

EDIT: For clarification, my IC post was the summarization of CT 4, IP1's action, so IP 1 is done. We are now on IP 2, in respects to both IC and OOC posts.
WinterRat1
Vegas - IC post is up.

Also, starting on July 5, I screwed up the time/date/location stamps on some of the Lana posts, entering the hour as a '1' instead of a '13'. I noticed you caught that and changed it in your last IC post, but would you please go back and change the ones that were wrong for our archivers? It's only a couple posts, and the start of the screwup is on July 5, so it should only take you a couple minutes to fix. Thanks!
WinterRat1
Cedric and Grendel (this is not to nag; I'm just bumping this question while I catch up, lest I forget it) – What exactly are we waiting on since Cedric put up his IC post? Should we be posting IC Grendel, waiting for an IC/OOC reply from you, or something else entirely? I just don’t want us to get bogged down cause none of us knows who’s supposed to go next, and at least to me, it’s unclear right now what the next step is.

Various OOC Stuff -

Novels - I love the draft Sedna. I admit to very little in the way of aesethic preferences. I wouldn't even begin to know how to do layout/artistic design, so I'm going to leave that to the professionals (you, Mister Juan, etc.).

I do think we need to leave the timestamps in, for exactly the same reason Sedna stated. Without the timestamps, numerous conversations will seem extremely disjointed and nonsensical. The main function of the timestamps, in my mind, is to clearly delineate the different perspectives.

I also agree with Sedna that even for our later members, I fully believe if you stick with LITS, you'll get a volume someday. After all, LITS has been running for 3 years, and I don't see any signs of us slowing down, so if you hang in there and post consistently, you'll reach a break point and be eligible for your very own LITS volume. smile.gif

Wiki - Now that our wiki is starting to live up to its potential and has the full support of the members and isbecoming more of a daily functional tool, I will work on updating stuff on it as I can. I'm sorry that right now it's not super high on my priority list, but I will get to it, because I think it's valuable and I want us to make it as useful as we can, to continue adding to the solid foundation LITS runs on.

All - I think that about catches me up with all related LITS stuff, let me know if I missed anything.
Vegas
WR

All my posts should be fixed now as well.

Will work up a reply to the latest developments as soon as possible. tonight/tomorrow most likely.

(got sucked back into seasons of 24 and we've been watching ALLLLLLL damn day long.. can't turn it off!) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012