Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
Aria
QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 19 2013, 03:54 PM) *
If you don't, I just might. This is getting slightly ridiculous.

Pity I took the back door option. Means I need to wait for something to happen inside. Worse still, it's not really in character for Wootz to just get fed up, bust down the door, and start slashing his way to answers, even if that's what I as a player feel like I'm on the verge of doing.

That said, I guess I can abuse my unofficial Team Captain position and say that Swift tries to tag Vic with some stealth RFIDs when he gets up to throw his trash away. If successful, we naturally follow him when he leaves and consider jumping him in an alleyway or something.

~Umi

Happy to assume Swift gets the invisiblity spell and she'll go and tag Vic... Didn't want to jump ahead of any rolls though...
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2013, 10:09 AM) *
Happy to assume Swift gets the invisiblity spell and she'll go and tag Vic... Didn't want to jump ahead of any rolls though...

@FastFoodFight: horvagab/Gentry
Gentry can go ahead and roll for casting the improved invisibility spell with the understanding that Swift and Gentry have moved to the bathroom together.
Archmike
I'm going to assume fling works in the way the disscussion agreed on in the end and i'll spend some cash on special playing cards leaving me quite poor....

Also this is what i want to do let me know if it's possible:

Grab one of the guys swinging in from above with levitate and move him across and back so that his rope tangles up with the guy next to him.

Whaddaya think?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Archmike @ Aug 19 2013, 01:26 PM) *
I'm going to assume fling works in the way the disscussion agreed on in the end and i'll spend some cash on special playing cards leaving me quite poor....

Also this is what i want to do let me know if it's possible:

Grab one of the guys swinging in from above with levitate and move him across and back so that his rope tangles up with the guy next to him.

Whaddaya think?

I think you are better off just using levitate to pull him off the rope and let him drop smile.gif
Lobo0705
@Aria,

Do I see the men coming down from the ropes as well?
ElFenrir
So yeah, Orion's going to try to slip somewhere close by(if there is) to try to get a drop on one of the guys if they get in, while staying un-noticed if at all possible. (Surprise attacks can be nasty.) I have that list of rolled Stealth rolls. Not sure if there would be any modifiers or anything.

If the rope trick above works that Mr. Smith is trying it could be cool to cause confusion. biggrin.gif
Lobo0705
@Aria,

Do I see the men coming down from the ropes as well?

As an aside, since my cyberears are cranked, and I'm making perception tests - Tide and Orion are on the same floor as me - do I hear their discussion?
Trigger
@Aria:

Hatter is looking around the Host for other security devices, such as door locks and other internal security measures. Here is a Matrix Perception test if needed:

Computers 5 + Intuition 5 + VR 2 - Silent 2: Matrix Perception (12d6.hits(5)=4)
Aria
Ok, couple of pointers for the Game Facers before I crash out
  • Everyone who cares to can see the blimp and the descending team - big glass wall!
  • That big glass wall is armour glass - regular rounds will barely scratch it
  • The ward around the penthouse that is keeping their mage from frying your brains also stops you doing nasty things to them...
  • Hatter can see the other security but the fire has overridden them open...would need some kind of uber admin access to override the override! They mostly rely on sec guards in a situation like this...and they may not even be aware there is a situation!

Night all, happy planning biggrin.gif
Archmike
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2013, 11:05 PM) *
  • The ward around the penthouse that is keeping their mage from frying your brains also stops you doing nasty things to them...

Well...

...balls dead.gif
phlapjack77
Nobody clicked biggrin.gif

@Aria
I'm assuming Dog and Mr. Smith were setup in a position that covered the stairwell, I hope that's correct. If not please let me know and I'll alter my IC post.
ElFenrir
If we're all careful, we can turn the ambush around a bit if we're lucky by not giving away exactly how many we are. By positioning ourselves carefully we should be good. There are five ropes by the window, but who knows if they have a clown car or whatnot up there. While Orion's in a stealthy position at the moment to try to get the drop on at least one to take him out of commission right off the bat if need be, and others are scattered about in good positions(Dog seems well primed to whonk anyone about to come through the stairwell door), but it might be worth keeping an eye on the situation to make sure the stairwell gets cleared fast so we have a place to get to if there ends up being more and more people.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 20 2013, 03:07 PM) *
If we're all careful, we can turn the ambush around a bit if we're lucky by not giving away exactly how many we are. By positioning ourselves carefully we should be good. There are five ropes by the window, but who knows if they have a clown car or whatnot up there. While Orion's in a stealthy position at the moment to try to get the drop on at least one to take him out of commission right off the bat if need be, and others are scattered about in good positions(Dog seems well primed to whonk anyone about to come through the stairwell door), but it might be worth keeping an eye on the situation to make sure the stairwell gets cleared fast so we have a place to get to if there ends up being more and more people.

+1. Most (all?) of us probably can't escape out the window, so securing the stairwell in case of escape is a good idea smile.gif
Lobo0705
@Aria,

Natasha wants to make a Stealth check - do you want me to roll it, or are you going to use one of my pre-genned rolls?
Moirdryd
Finally i got a post up.

Work has been killer on me and will be for the next couple of weeks until the bosses are back and i return to normal days instead of reaaaallly long ones. But will try and squeeze time in between.

That's okay Archmike, just do nasty things to them when they're through the window smile.gif

I like the crossfire to the stairwell and the full ambush at the window, sounds like a simple but effective plan. let's just hope they don't use much explosives. How they breach will probably effect how we react, but I'm expecting to see breaching charges against the glass followed by the first of the assault team as they hit to door. Probably with Smoke or Flashbangs.

Orions and Tide should be able to tie up the window team enough (especially with Nastasha firing and magic from Mr Smith to initially confuse them that should mean that Dog, Preston and Violet can outnumber the door breach while hatter rides overwatch. Then while we are playing Ambush, Nastasha and Mr Smith can probably help overwhelm the Door team and we can then see about finishing Window Breach crew. Of course Hatter may be able to screw with the blimp too.

phlapjack77
QUOTE (Moirdryd @ Aug 21 2013, 07:43 AM) *
Probably with Smoke or Flashbangs.

Watch out for flashbangs - those things will really mess up your world now in SR5. Found out the hard way smile.gif
Moirdryd
Will have a hand on the glass feeling for the impact of charges or any other disturbance of the window indicating the breach and preparing to activate my Att Boosts the instant that happens (essentially holding my action for the moment before initiative).

Rolling for activating Boost Strength and Boost Reaction respectively in anticipation of the strike team coming through the window

8d6 → [4,2,1,6,1,3,2,4] = (1)
8d6 → [4,6,1,5,5,4,2,5] = (4)

spending Edge to re-roll fails for Str Boost

7d6 → [4,2,1,1,5,2,5] = (2)

Totals of 3Hits for Strength Boost (+3 to Str for Six combat turns) and 4hits for Boost Reaction for +4 reaction for 8 Combat Turns.

Functional Strength is now 7 and Reaction is now 9.

Slacker
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Aug 20 2013, 11:20 PM) *
Watch out for flashbangs - those things will really mess up your world now in SR5. Found out the hard way smile.gif

Yes indeed, that 10m radius of the full 10S damage is HELL! But oh so much fun for the GM when more damage gets done to the players than the NPCs from a player's own flashbang.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 21 2013, 09:35 PM) *
Yes indeed, that 10m radius of the full 10S damage is HELL! But oh so much fun for the GM when more damage gets done to the players than the NPCs from a player's own flashbang.

Imagine what would've happened it the blast had reflected off of the walls...
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
I guess I will roll for Gentry's Improved Invisibility spell to keep us moving. He'll cast it at Force 5, rolling Spellcasting 5 + Magic 6, he gets 3 hits. I had previously rolled resistance for both Vic and the guard who got 2 hits and 1 hit respectively. So both of them are completely unable to see Swift

They can still hear him though. So, give me a Sneaking roll Swift.

Now Gentry must roll his drain of Force 5 -1 by rolling Charisma 5 + Willpower 4. Ouch....he only got 1 hit. So he just took 3 boxes of stun damage for casting that spell (Unless he wants to use Edge on the Drain roll which I will leave up to him).
Slacker
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Aug 21 2013, 08:56 AM) *
Imagine what would've happened it the blast had reflected off of the walls...

Actually, it wouldn't have been too bad for most of the people involved. Only you and a couple NPCs would have been shredded into little fleshy chunks.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 21 2013, 09:58 PM) *
Actually, it wouldn't have been too bad for most of the people involved. Only you and a couple NPCs would have been shredded into little fleshy chunks.

I need to read up on those reflection rules...because the flashbang damage doesn't taper off based on distance, it seems like that crap could reflect an awfully large number of times...

*finished reading* yup, it would suck
Slacker
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Aug 21 2013, 09:06 AM) *
I need to read up on those reflection rules...because the flashbang damage doesn't taper off based on distance, it seems like that crap could reflect an awfully large number of times...

*finished reading* yup, it would suck

Thankfully, I believe the rules are designed so that flashbangs never change their damage. You either get hit with the full 10S or you are out of their radius and take nothing. Reflecting would be insane because structures ignore stun damage and you'd never have a chance for flimsy walls like that cashier's counter you were hiding by to get blown away. So even the flimsiest structure would reflect the blast back at you.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 21 2013, 10:18 PM) *
Thankfully, I believe the rules are designed so that flashbangs never change their damage. You either get hit with the full 10S or you are out of their radius and take nothing. Reflecting would be insane because structures ignore stun damage and you'd never have a chance for flimsy walls like that cashier's counter you were hiding by to get blown away. So even the flimsiest structure would reflect the blast back at you.

Ah, good point about the stun damage.
Aria
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 21 2013, 02:57 PM) *
@FastFoodFight
I guess I will roll for Gentry's Improved Invisibility spell to keep us moving. He'll cast it at Force 5, rolling Spellcasting 5 + Magic 6, he gets 3 hits. I had previously rolled resistance for both Vic and the guard who got 2 hits and 1 hit respectively. So both of them are completely unable to see Swift

They can still hear him though. So, give me a Sneaking roll Swift.

Now Gentry must roll his drain of Force 5 -1 by rolling Charisma 5 + Willpower 4. Ouch....he only got 1 hit. So he just took 3 boxes of stun damage for casting that spell (Unless he wants to use Edge on the Drain roll which I will leave up to him).

Ah, but Swift is a sneaky bugger (and female!)...she's got traceless walk which helps her hide 'acoustically' and a camo suit (in case that stacks with imp invisibility - probably not but it will still be on when the spell gets dropped!

I rolled a load of sneak rolls previously...this was the first
Stealth: Sneaking 5 + Agility 6 + Catlike 2 [Physical 6] = 13D
13d6.hits(5) → [6,2,5,6,2,4,2,1,1,5,3,5,4] = (5)

So very very sneaky!

Palming roll to put the tag: Palming 5 + Agility 6
11d6.hits(5) → [4,3,3,3,6,3,6,1,2,5,1] = (3)
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 21 2013, 11:39 AM) *
Ah, but Swift is a sneaky bugger (and female!)...she's got traceless walk which helps her hide 'acoustically' and a camo suit (in case that stacks with imp invisibility - probably not but it will still be on when the spell gets dropped!

I rolled a load of sneak rolls previously...this was the first
Stealth: Sneaking 5 + Agility 6 + Catlike 2 [Physical 6] = 13D
13d6.hits(5) → [6,2,5,6,2,4,2,1,1,5,3,5,4] = (5)

So very very sneaky!

Palming roll to put the tag: Palming 5 + Agility 6
11d6.hits(5) → [4,3,3,3,6,3,6,1,2,5,1] = (3)

Ok, you have no problem getting the bug on him.
horvagab
Aaaaaaaaaand, I'm back. Sorry for disappearing, had a national holiday and a long, family-filled weekend.

Thanks for rolling Slacker, not spending any edge, I bravely take the stun damage.

Gentry needs something to grumble about smile.gif
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
QUOTE (horvagab @ Aug 21 2013, 12:11 PM) *
Aaaaaaaaaand, I'm back. Sorry for disappearing, had a national holiday and a long, family-filled weekend.

Thanks for rolling Slacker, not spending any edge, I bravely take the stun damage.

Gentry needs something to grumble about smile.gif

Well now you also have the disgusting sounds of Vic chomping down on his food in your ear to grumble about as well (if you are listening in on the bug).

BTW, if you didn't notice it in the IC post, one of the patrons did notice that both a man and a woman entered the one bathroom even though there are separate mens and womens bathrooms. He seems innocent enough. So that could mean nothing....
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
So, is Swift just hanging around while Invis? Heading back to the bathroom for Gentry to release the spell? Or what?
horvagab
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 21 2013, 08:41 PM) *
@FastFoodFight

Well now you also have the disgusting sounds of Vic chomping down on his food in your ear to grumble about as well (if you are listening in on the bug).

BTW, if you didn't notice it in the IC post, one of the patrons did notice that both a man and a woman entered the one bathroom even though there are separate mens and womens bathrooms. He seems innocent enough. So that could mean nothing....

Yay, more to grumble about!

I'll roll perception when I get home to see whether Gentry noticed it, and I might try some Influence on him if she did. And if I can get away with it.
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
QUOTE (horvagab @ Aug 22 2013, 03:54 AM) *
Yay, more to grumble about!

I'll roll perception when I get home to see whether Gentry noticed it, and I might try some Influence on him if she did. And if I can get away with it.

You know what? I somehow totally missed that Gentry is female. Swift is too. So totally disregard the whole bathroom thing. I'll fix the IC post.
Aria
biggrin.gif

Just a quick word of warning to all, I'm on holiday next week so no idea what my posting will be like (if at all!)...will try and get some IC up for Game Face but I can't promise anything, sorry!
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 22 2013, 09:38 AM) *
Tag placed, Swift paced back towards the restrooms with the sinuous coiled grace of her mentor, deftly avoiding anything that might betray her presence. Turning back to the room to ensure nobody was looking in her direction she slipped back inside. Pulling her coat out from where it had been stuffed in a corner she shrugged herself into it. A quick text to Gentry and the team followed

@All [Swift] <<Tag’s in place. G, you can drop the spell now I’m clear>>

Once she could see herself in the grubby polycarbonate mirror in the restroom she returned to the restaurant to wait for Vic to make a move.
Unless something changed with SR5, the spell would have been dropped automatically, as soon as Gentry (the castor) lost line of sight.
horvagab
And that is why Gentry sneakily exits the bathroom at the same time and keeps Swift in LoS.

I hope?
Machine Ghost
The comment was for removing the spell. As soon as Swift went back into the restroom, the door would have blocked LOS, dropping the spell. No need for Swift to ask Gentry to drop the spell.
horvagab
Ah, okay.

Sorr,y still new <_<

Gentry lets Swift think she can affect her through doors then. Fits her character :
Umidori
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 22 2013, 11:27 AM) *
Unless something changed with SR5, the spell would have been dropped automatically, as soon as Gentry (the castor) lost line of sight.

This is untrue, and has been since at least SR4. Sustained spells can be sustained from any distance, through any barriers, for as long as you care to take the sustaining penalty. LoS only matters for casting the spell.

~Umi
Slacker
QUOTE (Machine Ghost @ Aug 22 2013, 01:32 PM) *
The comment was for removing the spell. As soon as Swift went back into the restroom, the door would have blocked LOS, dropping the spell. No need for Swift to ask Gentry to drop the spell.

LOS is only required for initially casting a spell on somebody you can sustain it even when you lose sight of them. I seem to remember there may have been some range limitation on that in SR4 but i could just be making it up. Regardless, I haven't seen any mention of that in SR5 the only pertinent text I can find is that "Sustained (S) spells last as long as you keep them going."
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 22 2013, 01:27 PM) *
LOS is only required for initially casting a spell on somebody you can sustain it even when you lose sight of them. I seem to remember there may have been some range limitation on that in SR4 but i could just be making it up. Regardless, I haven't seen any mention of that in SR5 the only pertinent text I can find is that "Sustained (S) spells last as long as you keep them going."
I'm going to have to have a chat with a local GM then. In games here, it has always been necessary to maintain LOS to maintain a sustained spell.
horvagab
Any idea what we should do? Do we want to waylay the 2 thugs who are going to "investigate"?
Aria
We don't want them to aquire any mugshots of us from whoever tipped off the mob boys nyahnyah.gif

Will see you all when I get back (unless I manage a post during the week, who knows?!?)! Try not to get us all killed biggrin.gif
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 23 2013, 10:32 AM) *
We don't want them to aquire any mugshots of us from whoever tipped off the mob boys nyahnyah.gif

Will see you all when I get back (unless I manage a post during the week, who knows?!?)! Try not to get us all killed biggrin.gif

Well, you guys could always make a move on Vic before they can get anything or send Vic some backup.
Archmike
Everyone still alive out there? O.o
Slacker
QUOTE (Archmike @ Aug 27 2013, 12:35 PM) *
Everyone still alive out there? O.o

Aria is on holiday this week. So there isn't going to be much traffic on the Stormy Waters game.
Archmike
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 27 2013, 07:38 PM) *
Aria is on holiday this week. So there isn't going to be much traffic on the Stormy Waters game.

Ah that woudl explain a lot smile.gif
Aria
Ok, I'm back! Will get things up and running as soon as I can!
Thanee
Violet summons a Force 9 Spirit of Air with Elemental Attack, Energy Aura, Fear

Summoning with Edge vs. Spirit's Force -> 4 Services (forgot the .hits(5) for the Spirit's 9d6; Spirit got 2 hits)

Drain Resistance with Edge vs. DV 4P -> no Drain

Bye
Thanee
Aria
A force 9 with more or less impunity? Damn, and I thought mages had been nerfed in this edition?!? biggrin.gif

Don't forget that ward!
Thanee
Well, with 2 Edge. wink.gif I don't think summoning has been changed at all, though. Drain for spells is higher now.

Speaking of the ward... is it around the suite or around the whole building?

If the first, I will simply move out with the others, then call the spirit (send him on standby first) and then let him loose.
If the latter, I'm afraid, but the ward has to go. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Aria
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 3 2013, 06:47 AM) *
Well, with 2 Edge. wink.gif I don't think summoning has been changed at all, though. Drain for spells is higher now.

Speaking of the ward... is it around the suite or around the whole building?

If the first, I will simply move out with the others, then call the spirit (send him on standby first) and then let him loose.
If the latter, I'm afraid, but the ward has to go. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

The ward is specific to the suite so once you are in the corridor you are free of the ward - but you won't be able to see the target of your spirit (not sure that that is a problem but still...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012