Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
ElFenrir
@Game Face

At this point, with Monster the Spirit flying around wherever dealing with stuff, Orion would be following on down the stairs with the crew. if any guards appear, he's going to probably roll Exotic Weapon: Kick Blades(I think I had a bunch of rolls for them) to nail them. (While he generally does not like to fatally attack basic guards, these guys torqued him off by trying to sneak up on them, so they get what's coming to them, as far as he's concerned. nyahnyah.gif) Otherwise he's following down. His powers are active that he needs.

He'd also make another Perception(Smell) test(link to rolls here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...t&p=1252115 , I should sig it nyahnyah.gif) to make sure stuff is still straight.
Sunshine
@foodfight team especially slacker:
I am sorry - Computer went to hell and then anything else went south irl. Sick family, hectic Clients AND no end in sight. As of the moment I have high hopes (or despair) for the second week of december.

I hope you have a good time and accept my apologies

M.
Slacker
QUOTE (Sunshine @ Sep 14 2013, 10:40 AM) *
@foodfight team especially slacker:
I am sorry - Computer went to hell and then anything else went south irl. Sick family, hectic Clients AND no end in sight. As of the moment I have high hopes (or despair) for the second week of december.

I hope you have a good time and accept my apologies

M.

OK. Thanks for the update Sunshine. I hope its nothing too bad going on. Will catch you another time.
horvagab
Sorry for disappearing, family time during the weekend took my mind away.

Again at work, no book on me. When I get home, gonna cast Swarm and see if I can drop some debuffs on these guys.
horvagab
Okay, basic idea here: casting Swarm: casting at Force 4, 4 hits.

Resisting Drain: 3 hits, need 3 hits.

Sustaining the spell, -1 to rolls due to sustaining (Focused Concentration 3), -2 due to Stun damage and sustaining.

Not sure about exact placing, but casting it on Vic and his goons who are in a 4 meter radius.

Initiative: 9

IC post will be made. Sorry for the delay, not used to Sr system, and it's taxing on my brain.

Sorry for any and all holdups
Slacker
QUOTE (horvagab @ Sep 16 2013, 12:57 PM) *
Okay, basic idea here: casting Swarm: casting at Force 4, 4 hits.

Resisting Drain: 3 hits, need 3 hits.

Sustaining the spell, -1 to rolls due to sustaining (Focused Concentration 3), -2 due to Stun damage and sustaining.

Not sure about exact placing, but casting it on Vic and his goons who are in a 4 meter radius.

Initiative: 9

IC post will be made. Sorry for the delay, not used to Sr system, and it's taxing on my brain.

Sorry for any and all holdups

Um....you may want to rethink that. Currently, that would only get Vic, the father and daughter that had been enjoying a daddy's day out toghether, and the two of you runners. Remember, Vic was in the far back corner without anybody else near him when this started. If you wait another second for the mop wielding baddy to continue forward in his charge at Swift you'd be able to catch him in it. But the security guard crouching behind the kiosk would be just outside of that range, the cook would be well outside of it, and the possible mage in the office is even further outside of it.

Here I haven't had time to draw up my own version of the map, but the attached link should show you the layout of the restaurant. McHugh's
horvagab
Thanks!

Also sorry for the slowness...

I think I'll rather summon my bound beast sppirit then, and sic it on the sec. guard.

Aria
Sorry I've been a bit quiet...work frown.gif. Will try and sort more stuff for FoodFight and GameFace for the end of the week!
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
I totally neglected to roll init for the Spirit of Beasts. I just did and it got an init of 18.
For pass 1, Gentry's spirit is materializing into the physical plane to the terrified screams of the muggles in the room.

For pass 2, the spirit does as it was commanded to. It charges the security guard.... Ouch! The spirit gets 7 hits on it's charge. Lucy the guard did good getting 3 hits out of 7 dice but that's nowhere near enough. So, he gets hit with 12S damage (Base unarmed of 8S + 4 net hits). Lucy rolls Body 4 + Armor 12 to get 7 hits, which means he takes 5S damage and is suffering a -1 on all actions. That does not exceed his physical limit. So he remains standing.

Oh, just realized I forgot to post that the supervisor makes it out of his office and the store room in pass 1. So he can now see what is going on (as well as be seen by the two runners).

And now it is Swift's turn for action. Currently Swift has a mop wielding employee charging him and now that I look at the numbers, you two actually go on the same initiative. So you only have a split second to react before he tries to clean your head with a hard knock of wood. This means whatever you roll for actions this pass won't be affected by being in melee with him, but neither will his actions be affected if you were to shoot him with the taser.

As such, I'll go ahead and roll for his melee attack. Dipsy rolls 3 hits on his charging clubs attack (forgot to give him the +2 for charging, but he didn't roll any more hits). The mop does give him reach 2. So you need to subtract 2 from your defense dice pool.
If he does end up hitting you, base damage is 8S + net hits.
Aria
Not sure if this will work and whether I need to do an interrupt defence action but basically I will try and do a matador move, sweeping off my long coat...simple action? and try and get out of the way...following that I'll be able to activate the chameleon coating and disappear...at least a little bit nyahnyah.gif
Machine Ghost
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 17 2013, 02:11 PM) *
Not sure if this will work and whether I need to do an interrupt defence action but basically I will try and do a matador move, sweeping off my long coat...simple action? and try and get out of the way...following that I'll be able to activate the chameleon coating and disappear...at least a little bit nyahnyah.gif
Kibtzing, with the way Hidden Gun Arm Slide works, swift should not of drawn the weapon, unless intending to immediately shoot (or at least take aim, or use to intimidate, or ?). Just holding it just draws attention. Unless of course, that is what you wanted smile.gif
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 17 2013, 03:11 PM) *

Have you looked at the SR5 rules for the Chameleon Suit? In non-wireless mode, all it does is increase your limit on Sneaking Tests by 2. Even in wireless-active mode, it only adds 2 dice to your Sneaking test for hiding. It's not like you turn completely invisible.

I would have let you do the sweeping coat thing as an interrupt action adding dodge to your defense test, but your original init was only 14. Being the second pass, that means you only have an init of 4 now and don't have enough init to do any interrupt actions which require 5 init for normal melee interrupts or 10 for the full defense option.

If you do still want to rip off your coat and try to hide under the table or something, I'll let you do that all as one big Complex Action this pass.
Slacker
@FastFoodFight: Swift
I keep forgetting about how you have that link to pre-rolls for your character. So for your defense against the guy with the mop, we'll use your first defense roll, -2 for the reach penalty which reduces your hits from 3 to 2 on that roll. So, he did hit you and you need to resist 9S damage. Ouch, you only got 3 hits on your first damage resistance roll? That means you just took 6S damage. And will be sufferring -2 on all actions after this pass.
Unless you want to use Edge or something.
Aria
QUOTE (Slacker @ Sep 18 2013, 02:10 PM) *
Have you looked at the SR5 rules for the Chameleon Suit? In non-wireless mode, all it does is increase your limit on Sneaking Tests by 2. Even in wireless-active mode, it only adds 2 dice to your Sneaking test for hiding. It's not like you turn completely invisible.

I would have let you do the sweeping coat thing as an interrupt action adding dodge to your defense test, but your original init was only 14. Being the second pass, that means you only have an init of 4 now and don't have enough init to do any interrupt actions which require 5 init for normal melee interrupts or 10 for the full defense option.

If you do still want to rip off your coat and try to hide under the table or something, I'll let you do that all as one big Complex Action this pass.

Hence the 'at least a little bit...' I know mechanically it has no benefit (it probably wouldn't in SR4 either in this situation!) but thematically I think it's appropriate...as is the drawing a gun but not firing it...her mentor is Dragon (Cat for rule purposes) and she* wants to play!

I'd missed the fact that interupts can only be done if you have initiative left that round...that sucks! Ah well, I'll get my coat off anyway...

QUOTE (Slacker @ Sep 18 2013, 02:17 PM) *
I keep forgetting about how you have that link to pre-rolls for your character. So for your defense against the guy with the mop, we'll use your first defense roll, -2 for the reach penalty which reduces your hits from 3 to 2 on that roll. So, he did hit you and you need to resist 9S damage. Ouch, you only got 3 hits on your first damage resistance roll? That means you just took 6S damage. And will be sufferring -2 on all actions after this pass.
No bonus D for being behind a table or anything? It seems a bit ignoble to be knocked on my arse the first blow of the first fight so I suppose I'd better roll edge re-rolls on my def roll (that would be better than soak wouldn't it?!?). Hindsight being a wonderful thing I think my next adept might need tweaking a tad in line with how the new defence rules work...clearly an average of 14 initiative is a bit crap!

*Just out of interest, when you look at her character sheet do you see the character sketch? I know I don't from my phone so was just wondering...?!?
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 18 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Hence the 'at least a little bit...' I know mechanically it has no benefit (it probably wouldn't in SR4 either in this situation!) but thematically I think it's appropriate...as is the drawing a gun but not firing it...her mentor is Dragon (Cat for rule purposes) and she* wants to play!

I'd missed the fact that interupts can only be done if you have initiative left that round...that sucks! Ah well, I'll get my coat off anyway...

Yeah, pg 167 says "when a character uses an interrupt Action, such as Full Defense, he takes an action out of turn, but only if he has enough Initiative Score left in the Combat turn to pay the price for the action."
No bonus D for being behind a table or anything? It seems a bit ignoble to be knocked on my arse the first blow of the first fight so I suppose I'd better roll edge re-rolls on my def roll (that would be better than soak wouldn't it?!?). Hindsight being a wonderful thing I think my next adept might need tweaking a tad in line with how the new defence rules work...clearly an average of 14 initiative is a bit crap!

Sadly no. In your previous action you said specifically that you were moving to have cover from Vic (as his goons hadn't shown themselves to be with him yet). A table can't really give you cover from two opposing directions. So, that damage does knock you prone with it equaling your physical limit.
On the plus side, I totally failed to look at this guys Perception. With an Intuition of 2 and no skill in Perception. He totally does think you completely vanished into thin air as you activate the chameleon suit with your 5 hits.
*Just out of interest, when you look at her character sheet do you see the character sketch? I know I don't from my phone so was just wondering...?!?

And yes, your sketch does show up quite nicely when I open your character sheet on my computer. smile.gif

Did you want to make the IC post for Swift's reaction or shall I?
Aria
QUOTE (Slacker @ Sep 18 2013, 02:17 PM) *

Um, clubs etc do physical damage now don't they? It surprised me when I read it but it makes a kind of sense...so ouch, broken ribs time! I won't roll my paltry edge now and go with the damage - Swift is going to be pissed! IC to come ASAP...
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 19 2013, 06:56 AM) *
Um, clubs etc do physical damage now don't they? It surprised me when I read it but it makes a kind of sense...so ouch, broken ribs time! I won't roll my paltry edge now and go with the damage - Swift is going to be pissed! IC to come ASAP...

Yeah, I know clubs and such all say they do physical damage now (as long as the DV equals or exceeds the modified armor value). However, the stats on this SR5 adventure specifically mentions the mop as having a base of 8S damage, while it give all other melee weapons on the NPCs stats with P damage. I'm totally guessing here, but I think maybe this is due to the improvised nature of hitting somebody with a mop. So, I'd say it is indeed Stun damage and not Physical.
Aria
Ok, cool...I'll leave my IC as is though, again, thematic rather than RAW biggrin.gif
Aria
Ok, Circles of Power IC is up. OoC can come here now. I'll try and get all the links etc setup soon!
BestTeaMaker
CoC OOC-er here.

Excitement tingling.
BestTeaMaker
@Circles of Power

So, I'm a bit new to pbp, and I'm not as acquainted with some people here, but how long should I wait for a new post?
Aria
@Circles of Power
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Sep 22 2013, 03:42 AM) *
Any chance Gemeaux is at the meet as Ryl's inconspicuous muscle?

Oh, and is she the same woman/drake Gemeaux first met?

She's got the Nubians for conspicuous muscle...you could be inconspicuous if you like or be at the party as a guest...!

As far as you know she's the same, not aged a day either! biggrin.gif
Aria
QUOTE (BestTeaMaker @ Sep 23 2013, 12:23 AM) *
@Circles of Power

So, I'm a bit new to pbp, and I'm not as acquainted with some people here, but how long should I wait for a new post?

It varies! I try and post at least once a week, more if I have time, with CoP I hope you'll be able to interact with each other too so it will hopefully be more but we'll play it by ear... in this case, post as often as you want to!
Aria
@Slacker / FFF: Do you want us to roll initiative every round? (I tend to stick with the same roll for a combat for ease but...) Do wound mods deduct straight from the total or is there some other calc? I'd look, but just in case you know offhand biggrin.gif

Swift is annoyed and wants to shoot stuff people!
BestTeaMaker
@Circles of Power

I was wondering, given the nature of the game, do we also roleplay our entourage, or just our central character?
Aria
QUOTE (BestTeaMaker @ Sep 23 2013, 04:43 PM) *
@Circles of Power

I was wondering, given the nature of the game, do we also roleplay our entourage, or just our central character?

Again, whatever suits you best but in theory I'd rather you handled them, I may occasionally hijack them to give you some in game info however...
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
Sorry for the delay folks. Went on a 30+ mile backpacking trip over the weekend only to come back with a migraine that started as soon as i got home Sunday and didn't end until late last night.

To answer your question, Aria, yes wound modifiers directly reduce your init score. Normally, I would have everybody roll init each combat turn. But with only 2 players still active I just don't see the point. So we will be continuing with the same init rolls for the new combat turn.

Before we get to the new combat turn, we need to finish out this first combat turn.

Lucy the guard takes a shot at the spirit of beasts (I'm not even going to roll it since it would take a miracle for him to hurt the spirit). The bullet just bounces off the spirits flesh.

The business man still seems to be caught in indecision as he looks between the runners, Vic, and the emergency exit.

Franco, the store manager, sees the spirit tearing into his cousin and calls forth a bolt of mana that lances out from his hands to strike the beast. He manages to get 3 hits. He is able to resist the drain with no problems. Now the spirit rolls Willpower of 6 to resist the damage from this direct spell, managing to also get 3 hits to take no damage at all. The magical force slides right off its back with it hardly even noticing.

Vic shouts out "You birds are messin' with the wrong Family!" as he takes a shot at Gentry. Intesting, invisible castle wasn't sure if it liked Vic or hated him. He rolled either 1's or hits only, nothing in between. Unfortunately, for Gentry, he only rolled half the dice as 1's and SR5 says it has to be more than half to be a glitch.
Gentry needs to roll Reaction + Intuition to try avoiding Vic's 4 hits.

The middle-aged man with his 10-year old daughter grabs her and starts scrambling towards the emergency exit with her.

----------------------

Once we have the defense roll from Gentry we'll move on to start up the new combat turn with the spirit of beasts continuing to attack the guard, the mop guy looking around confusedly for the girl he just "cleaned" into nothingness, and so on (with the wounds, Swift is now fifth in init order).
Aria
QUOTE (Slacker @ Sep 24 2013, 08:15 PM) *
@FastFoodFight
<snip>
Before we get to the new combat turn, we need to finish out this first combat turn.
<snip>
Once we have the defense roll from Gentry we'll move on to start up the new combat turn with the spirit of beasts continuing to attack the guard, the mop guy looking around confusedly for the girl he just "cleaned" into nothingness, and so on (with the wounds, Swift is now fifth in init order).
Assuming you don’t mind I’ll write up Swift’s IC now, she’s going to take two simple actions on her next initiative (or a complex?) to get a stim patch [4] out and stick it on her wrist…welcome back to init 14 4! Still assuming nobody else is attacking her directly she’ll draw her pistol on 4, come to a crouch and shoot mop boy! Don’t mess with the dragon!

@Game Facers
I’ve got a post up from Thanee…any of the rest of you still in circulation? I’m happy to carry on but don’t want to flog a dead horse (that might sound overly pessimistic but it’s been one of those days!). As we aren’t being specific on timelines/locations perhaps Swift could call Silk who diverts Violet to Fast Food Fight to drag us out of that little hole biggrin.gif

Just leave that evil spirit behind lol

If this is dead I still intend to do a traditional runner SR5 thread but perhaps I will concentrate on CoP and the forthcoming Tribes for a bit first…if it’s not, great! Thanee, if you feel strongly enough I’m happy to continue this as a solo, we’ll just have to rationalise where the other 7 runners disappear to ork.gif
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 26 2013, 12:35 AM) *
@Game Facers
I’ve got a post up from Thanee…any of the rest of you still in circulation? I’m happy to carry on but don’t want to flog a dead horse (that might sound overly pessimistic but it’s been one of those days!). As we aren’t being specific on timelines/locations perhaps Swift could call Silk who diverts Violet to Fast Food Fight to drag us out of that little hole biggrin.gif

Dog's still here!
Lobo0705
Natasha is here - posted already.
Aria
@GameFacers:

Great, that's enough to keep the thread alive and kicking. Will try to get an IC up ASAP so that you can plan your next steps OoC over the weekend biggrin.gif
mister__joshua
Just posting so I don't keep losing the thread smile.gif
Archmike
I've been waiting for other people to post so I don't keep hogging everything sarcastic.gif

Who was she pointing at when she said you you you and you? O.o
Lobo0705
^^This^^ smile.gif

Who does she want to go with her and Dog?
Thanee
QUOTE (Archmike @ Sep 26 2013, 06:48 PM) *
Who was she pointing at when she said you you you and you? O.o

The people who do not respond IC. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Aria
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 26 2013, 08:24 PM) *
The people who do not respond IC. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

Exactly biggrin.gif
ElFenrir
Ugh. Apologies. Been a bit hectic here in my real life. Not a bad hectic, but a good hectic! But hectic nonetheless.

I should probably bail; we can maybe say Orion left with the rest of the crew and ended up just...back somewhere. Simply put I'm not sure how much I'd be able to RP with the stuff going on at the moment, so I figure it's better to drop out now(I was trying to be optimistic the past couple weeks) than leave it hanging. Maybe in the future after things clear up! Again, apologies about that, but RL is RL.
Aria
No worries, RL does interfere biggrin.gif

Feel free to join us again at any time!
Slacker
@FastFoodFight
To keep us moving, I guess I will roll Gentry's defense test for Vic shooting at her...
I'll give her +2 dice for cover, which gives her 3 hits. That means Vic still got 1 net hit. Rolling Body + Armor for damage resistance of the 6P damage (no AP)....OUCH. Invisible Castle isn't liking her...1 hit on 12 dice. So, she takes 5 points of stun damage and is knocked to the floor with the DV exceeding her physical limit.

----------------

And now we start the new combat turn with the Spirit of Beasts trying to chomp down on Lucy the guard's thigh with it's massive canines. It gets 3 hits while Lucy only manages to get 1 hit. So, Lucy has to resist 10S damage...getting 6 hits. Which means he's now taken a total of 9 boxes of stun damage. 2 more boxes and he goes down for the count, but for now he's still up.

After that Swift has no problem slapping himself with a stim patch while the mopper stands above him looking around confusedly.

"I cleaned....her? Yeah, that's right...I cleaned her good," the slow-witted man mumbles to himself seeing no evidence at all of Swift.

Lucy the guard has had enough and starts running for the store manager screaming "Franco, get this bugger off me!"

But as he does the beast takes a swipe at his back as an interrupt action taking a -5 to init in order to get another attack. And the spririt gets 3 hits. Of which Lucy only avoids 1 with his defense roll. And unceremoniously falls to the ground unconscious from the repeated blunt force trauma.

Seeing one of Vic's crew go down at the spirit's claws, the harried business man finally makes his decision to fight instead of flee. He pulls out a Streetline Special and takes a shot at....Vic Fratelli. "Bastard! Your day has come!" Unfortunately he doesn't get a single hit and the shot goes wide.

"Luciano...No!" shouts the store manager as his nephew goes down beneath the spirit. He draws forth the magical energies and casts another bolt of mana at the spirit, this time force 6. He again gets 3 hits (and is able to resist the drain). The spirit rolls its willpower to get only 1 hit which means it took 2 stun damage (not enough to affect it's rolls or initiative yet).

Vic turns on his new attacker now that Gentry has fallen to the ground out of sight behind a table. "You're in on this too! You're wife is going to pay for your stupidity bub." He shoots at the business man. He gets 3 hits to Stuart's 4 hits. So the business man is able to dodge to the side just enough to avoid the bullet.

The burger flipper also moves into action as he comes up from under the auto-fryer with an Ares Predator in his hands. Wordlessly, he takes aim and fires on Stuart Rothschild. He manages to get 2 hits to Stuart's 1 hit. Stuart gets 5 hits to resist the 7S damage. So he takes 2 boxes of stun as the bullet slams into his shoulder.

With bullets flying all around the emergency exit (Stuart is very close to the exit), the father and daughter pair that had been making their way to the exit dive down to the floor and crawl under a table.

-------------------

And now it is Gentry's turn.
horvagab
@FastFoodFight: sorry guys, what I've been doing for the last... month or so? Could only generously be called 'playing'. I'm not really familiar with SR rules and even hit-based dice pools, so looking things up and making sense of them is tedious frown.gif

Gentry stands up (simple action) and command the beast spirit to attack Vic (another simple one)

And I already rolled for a Lightning Bolt before I realized I might need to stand up <_<

Aria
QUOTE (horvagab @ Oct 1 2013, 06:20 PM) *
@FastFoodFight: sorry guys, what I've been doing for the last... month or so? Could only generously be called 'playing'. I'm not really familiar with SR rules and even hit-based dice pools, so looking things up and making sense of them is tedious frown.gif

Gentry stands up (simple action) and command the beast spirit to attack Vic (another simple one)

And I already rolled for a Lightning Bolt before I realized I might need to stand up <_<

If in doubt say what you want to do and we can all look up the rules...would help to cement them in my mind and I'm GMing lol...

@Game Facers: Do you want to do some OoC planning for what comes next? There's a door between you and the car park...it has a vision panel in it, it's pretty dark beyond which it probably shouldn't be...
Slacker
QUOTE (horvagab @ Oct 1 2013, 11:20 AM) *

I agree with Aria when in doubt, just post up the basic idea of what you'd like to do. We will look up the rules on it for you. Remember, this is meant to be people's first exposure to the system. So it is beneficial to everybody to have discussion of the new rules during the game.

Besides, you are doing far better than the three other players that disappeared on us. smile.gif

Cool, we can move forward with you having stood up and ordered your spirit to attack Vic.

BTW, SR5 did introduce an option that lets you cast spells as a Simple Action if you wanted to (that way you could stand up and still cast lightning bolt). It's called Reckless Spellcasting and the downside is that it causes the spell to have +3 drain.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 1 2013, 01:49 PM) *
@Game Facers: Do you want to do some OoC planning for what comes next? There's a door between you and the car park...it has a vision panel in it, it's pretty dark beyond which it probably shouldn't be...

Ok, so we are down to Dog, Mr. Smith, Violet, and me.

I'm a little unclear by what you mean by a "vision panel" - you mean a window in the door? And the are beyond it is dark? I certainly have multiple methods of seeing in bad lighting (I'm assuming others do as well) - are we unable to see anything through the window?

If not, then perhaps a little astral scouting is in order?
Aria
Yes sorry, architect speak nyahnyah.gif There's a window and beyond it's darkness, but natural darkness that thermo etc will work in...it's just unusual as there should at least be emergency lighting!
Lobo0705
I make a Matrix Perception Test to spot any hidden icons on the other side of the wall.
Matrix Perception

Then using thermo, I make an actual Perception test

My first Perception test on my pre-generated rolls is:
11d6.hits(5) → [6,4,1,6,1,5,1,2,4,4,4] = (3)

P.S - I don't stick my head up to the window to look through smile.gif

phlapjack77
Yeah, my olfactory-based perception roll from pre-gens would work.
13d6.hits(5) → [4,4,5,3,5,1,3,6,3,1,4,3,5] = (4)
Aria
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 2 2013, 02:50 AM) *
I make a Matrix Perception Test to spot any hidden icons on the other side of the wall.
Matrix Perception

Then using thermo, I make an actual Perception test

My first Perception test on my pre-generated rolls is:
11d6.hits(5) → [6,4,1,6,1,5,1,2,4,4,4] = (3)

P.S - I don't stick my head up to the window to look through smile.gif

I think we ought to run this blow by blow in the OoC thread before ICing it so that we can be clear of the rules and the implications. There is a shadow team in there, you know it, I know it biggrin.gif

They are running silent (who doesn't these days really???) and they will also be scanning for your icons bouncing down the stairs so likely know you are there too...

So if anyone wants to start us off feel free as I'm away from my books and about to call it a day at the moment, if not I'll try and pick this all up tomorrow smile.gif (Slacker, please chime in at any time as you clearly know the rules better than I do!)
Slacker
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 2 2013, 10:34 AM) *
I think we ought to run this blow by blow in the OoC thread before ICing it so that we can be clear of the rules and the implications. There is a shadow team in there, you know it, I know it biggrin.gif

They are running silent (who doesn't these days really???) and they will also be scanning for your icons bouncing down the stairs so likely know you are there too...

So if anyone wants to start us off feel free as I'm away from my books and about to call it a day at the moment, if not I'll try and pick this all up tomorrow smile.gif (Slacker, please chime in at any time as you clearly know the rules better than I do!)

Sure, I'm happy to help with any rules questions.

First, if you are running silent yourself, you need to keep in mind that you suffer a -2 dice penalty on all Matrix actions, including Matrix Perception.

Second, in order to spot a device running silent you have to have some idea the hidden icon is out there. This can be one of the bits of information you can get from your Matrix Perception test (1 hit can be used to ask are there icons running silent in the vicinity). This does not let you see where the icons are or what they are, it just says 'yes' there are silently running icons.

Once you have the idea that there are in fact silently running icons, you can make another Matrix Perception test, this time opposed by the Logic + Sleaze of the person/device you are looking for. And if there are multiple silent icons, you'd be going up against one at random. You will not be able to get them all with a single Matrix Perception test or even be able to specify which one you are trying to identify. So lets say there is a handful of security devices, a team of shadowrunners with their commlinks all running silent and maybe their individual gear running silent (and not slaved to their commlink). Your Matrix Perception check could randomly target a security camera, or a runner's commlink, or a wirelessly enabled grenade one (not slaved) one of the runners is carrying.

As GM, I assume players can automatically filter out whatever gear they and their fellow teammates are carrying from this randomized Matrix Perception for silent icons. Also, if the players can physically see a person, I would let the Matrix Perception be randomized by only icons on that person if that is who they are wanting to find something on.

A Matrix Perception check for icons on the other side of a wall though? That would be randomized for anything running silent for 100m in that direction (with GMs discretion on if they can limit that to say the 10m immediately beyond the wall or whatever distance the player is specifically looking for).

So, in this instance, where the players are coming to a car park where there could be dozens of silent icons depending on security systems, paranoid drivers with silent running car systems, enemies, etc. the GM plans to be out there; the players could have pretty slim hope of noticing something useful with that Matrix Perception test (unless they want to stand in the stairwell a while they take a long time to identify every possible silent device). Enemies in the car park specifically looking for silent icons within the stairwell immediately connected to the car park will have a much easier time of it, as I doubt there would be more than a camera or two in the hallway for them to identify before they could tell that additional silent icons are people coming down the stairs.
Lobo0705
@Slacker,

I agree with everything you say, except that I could pick up hotel security devices. From my understanding (and how I GM my games), the icons that are part of a Host are not visible to anyone outside the Host (it is one of the added protections that you get when you slave a device to the Host) Page 246:

"The virtual space inside a host is separate from the
outside grid. When you’re outside of a host, you can’t interact
directly with icons inside it, although you can still
send messages, make commcalls, and that sort of thing.
Once you’re inside, you can see and interact with icons
inside the host, but not outside (with the same caveat for
messages, calls, etc.)."

So if I make a Matrix Perception test, the first modifier I take is the -2 for running silent. It would also depend if we are on the same grid. My character's default grid is the local one (Emerald City, as we are in Seattle) - so if the runners are on a different grid, then I'm going to take a modifier for that as well (bear in mind that they also take those penalties.)

Not sure how many people leave their cars running silent - but there could be some, I suppose (To me, if you are really paranoid, you shut the wireless on your car OFF, this way it can't be hacked at all)

So, yes, the first test I made is just to see if there are silent running icons.

I can continue to make tests to find those icons - not sure how long I have - you'll have to let me know.

By the way, personally I don't like how they do the whole Matrix Perception for running silent - there is an interesting discussion here, since the way the RAW, it can be extremely hard to find any hidden icons.

Anyway - its Aria's game, so depending on how he wants to resolve it, its cool with me - I'm just showing my POV and will happily fall in line with whatever he wants to do smile.gif
Slacker
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 3 2013, 07:59 AM) *
@Slacker,

I agree with everything you say, except that I could pick up hotel security devices. From my understanding (and how I GM my games), the icons that are part of a Host are not visible to anyone outside the Host (it is one of the added protections that you get when you slave a device to the Host) Page 246:

"The virtual space inside a host is separate from the
outside grid. When you’re outside of a host, you can’t interact
directly with icons inside it, although you can still
send messages, make commcalls, and that sort of thing.
Once you’re inside, you can see and interact with icons
inside the host, but not outside (with the same caveat for
messages, calls, etc.)."

So if I make a Matrix Perception test, the first modifier I take is the -2 for running silent. It would also depend if we are on the same grid. My character's default grid is the local one (Emerald City, as we are in Seattle) - so if the runners are on a different grid, then I'm going to take a modifier for that as well (bear in mind that they also take those penalties.)

Not sure how many people leave their cars running silent - but there could be some, I suppose (To me, if you are really paranoid, you shut the wireless on your car OFF, this way it can't be hacked at all)

So, yes, the first test I made is just to see if there are silent running icons.

I can continue to make tests to find those icons - not sure how long I have - you'll have to let me know.

By the way, personally I don't like how they do the whole Matrix Perception for running silent - there is an interesting discussion here, since the way the RAW, it can be extremely hard to find any hidden icons.

Anyway - its Aria's game, so depending on how he wants to resolve it, its cool with me - I'm just showing my POV and will happily fall in line with whatever he wants to do smile.gif

True, should security devices be slaved to the host (which is likely the case as you mention) they would not show up unless you were connected to the host the same way I mentioned gear would only show up if it were not slaved to a commlink (or cyberdeck).

Hadn't really been thinking it through regarding the security devices being slaved to the host.

And yes, RAW does make it extremely hard to find any silent icons. That's the idea and why it requires such a hefty penalty as -2 to all Matrix Actions.

My only conceit to that is if you are able to physically look at a person/space (or you are certain enough to pinpoint a good position for said device), I allow the Matrix Perception test to pertain specifically to what silent devices that person is carrying or is in that limited space.

It's all up to Aria's choice on how to handle it. From his earlier description, I would guess that he's allowing you to assume that there are in fact enemies with silent running icons, though you don't know how many, their positions or even the types of devices involved without more effort. (At his discretion, I believe you could use your second hit on Matrix Perception to at least determine how many silent nodes were within the range/area you were targeting). It would also appear that you can assume the enemy has similar info on your silent running device(s) on the stairs, meaning that there are silent icons there that aren't host's slaved security devices (and possibly how many icons there are if they rolled well enough and Aria's allowing it).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012