Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
Mercy
I have not forgotten the item, but I think it a bit premature to look at it while Spriggan is bucking and weaving through the traffic. I, too, do not want to railroad the scene too much, but I can get us to wherever we are going if you let me know where that is.
DireRadiant
I will be busy the rest of this week...
mister__joshua
I've posted in the DES thread. Not read back only a few posts so don't really know what's going on there, but I'd rather find out IC. No-one seemed to be looking out that I read, so I posted a stealthy approach and assumed I wasn't seen.

Now we're all in one thread (I think) I was hoping we could maybe try and standardise the time code and colour use for speech etc. Other people may be fine with it, but I find it loads harder to follow when everyone uses a different format and if it's not too much trouble I think it makes the thread look better too smile.gif
adamu
Mr. J - glad you are back - now that Jan is in the timeline, things can start moving forward, and hopefully we'll have Jack and JDragon in the group soon as well.

I could have Bronwyn or D-Pop respond to your knock, but of course more fun if one of the PCs does...I'll step in if it sits for more than a day.

As for the posting, I'm more of a pure black and white guy.
But if everyone else agrees on a format, I suppose I could go rainbow post for this one thread only.
adamu
@Aria - sorry for getting the metatype wrong.

My memory of the Glamour quality and your 'willful sprite' tag morphed in my mind into a dryad.
Anyway, if I can make that mistake so can Lady Bethan - loosely organized alliances of earthy magic types do not always have perfect information flow!

But what metatype is Spriggan, anyway?

Don't changelings have a base race from which they are further awakened? They aren't a race unto themselves are they?
Or have I got that wrong?
adamu
@Mercy, to answer the question you e-mailed me - it is located on the shore of Lake Washington in the Matthew's Beach neighborhood of Seattle. More details to follow.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 5 2016, 12:09 AM) *
As for the posting, I'm more of a pure black and white guy.
But if everyone else agrees on a format, I suppose I could go rainbow post for this one thread only.

I'm ok with plain black and white if that's what others are using, but I think people are using a mix of different things which is what gets confusing. I also think all posts should have a timestamp and start with the characters name at the top.

Fwiw my format was the old 'standard' for 2073 back in clearwater. That was years ago smile.gif
adamu
Well, I'm definitely a big timestamper, so I'm with you there.

mister__joshua
Quick question. How does magic interact with low essence in 5th edition?
adamu
The only two direct interactions I know of are the same as in previous editions:

Limit your Magic if you're magically active.

Make it harder to use magical healing.

But if anyone knows any others by all means shout out!
mister__joshua
Is it just magical healing? I thought it reduced the effect of all magic? I admit I'm a novice when it comes to magic rules though which is why I ask. I might be thinking of a different system smile.gif
Raiderj
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Aug 7 2016, 06:45 PM) *
Is it just magical healing? I thought it reduced the effect of all magic? I admit I'm a novice when it comes to magic rules though which is why I ask. I might be thinking of a different system smile.gif

You mean like my Adept's magic as well?
Imladir
Not just Heal, but all Health spell with the Essence keyword (Heal, Cure Diseases, Increase [Attribute], etc. but not Antidote, Detox, Stabilize, for example).
With the Essence keyword, the caster takes a dice pool penalty equal to (Target current Essence - Target Max Essence).
adamu
Yeah, all the healing stuff gets hindered for you if you're low essence - so bad for you.

Other than that, there's no magic resistance (that I have ever heard of) associated with just having a low essence.

Basically in SR, low essence is a bad thing all around - no advantages, just pitfalls - the price you pay for all those cool implants.
Gilga
I think that it also gives some protection from negative health spells (reduce attribute) and so forth - but these are very rarely used. I have not yet encountered them in practice. - they are kind of like nerve strike by the way.
adamu
Villa

Mercy and Aria, there's the material you were sent on the target house.

The address in on Lake Washington in the Matthew's Beach neighborhood. Assume it's a rich people's road leading along the shore, and that there are at least 500 meters plus screening tree lines between houses. No wall or gate shown in your materials. (Also no mention of security.)

As in the IC post, you have five photos of the target deckers. Yup, they all look pretty nerdy, but also trying hard to look cool. Three Asian humans, one black dwarf, one white elf. Accompanying info on them is scant - street names, and stuff (obviously written by someone very non-technical - a with or druid maybe) saying they are really badass deckers.

If you need concrete personal details, ask and I can provide them insofar as the materials you've been given do.

Any questions let me know!
DireRadiant
Back. Will read and try and catch up.
adamu
Welcome back, Dire.

Summer holidays finally winding down, maybe - but then I'm going to Japan next week. Just for a week though.

Anyway, housekeeping/coordination.

1. Apologies Dire if you had a Watcher up. Honestly, I don't pay as much attention as I should to that stuff if I'm not planning a brutal assault on your position. But mostly I was just extremely eager for Jan to arrive...

2. Got two more players waiting to join this group. But I'm anal about continuity, so they can't come in until after the team debriefs Jan. So if people want to add security to the safehouse, please keep it to a quick IC and/or OOC post and lets get into a bit of IC where Jan tells what he wants to tell.

3. As discussed earlier, once that happens, D-Pop will be asking everyone to avoid the risk of going out for a while, and to get some rest as he people gather more intel. That will let the other two players catch up.

4. Once that happens, you'll have an objective and the full team, and things can proceed in more of a traditional SR manner.

Thanks!
Raiderj
Who are they?
JDragon
On the way home, looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

Will be ready when the timeline catches up.

Raider - I will be joining, I'm playing Rocky. There is a link to my CS in my sig.
Mercy
@Adamu Are we supposed to just assume an entry point or do you have the floor plans to give us. Sad that there is no indication of the security. It is silly to assume that there is none. We can perhaps make stuff up, but I don't want to just assume if you have stuff.
adamu
QUOTE (Mercy @ Aug 9 2016, 05:07 AM) *
@Adamu Are we supposed to just assume an entry point or do you have the floor plans to give us. Sad that there is no indication of the security. It is silly to assume that there is none. We can perhaps make stuff up, but I don't want to just assume if you have stuff.

Mercy, if you click on the link I provided you guys a few posts above, then scroll down and you'll find all the floor plans.

No need to make up security - I know all about it already.

Not provided in the file because your sponsors don't know it, not to be taken as an implication that there is none.
adamu
@Tangled Currents - everyone but Mercy and Aria - feel free to converse or RP or whatever from the house.

Mr. J, you're the only one at the house that hasn't agreed to do this thing - feel free to discuss with D-Pop.

Anyone with any ideas or information to share that will help find the time and place, go for that too.

But I'm going to green light JDragon and Jack_Spade, both of whom are waiting until the afternoon of the 22nd, to join you.

So anything that you post before one of them shows up happens before then. And after they show up, you can have slept or you can post flashbacks.

Such is the price of getting everyone together - a bit artificial, but most important thing is getting all the players a chance to play, I think we'd all agree.

I'll stop with such time manipulations once you're all together.

So post when you're ready, JD and Jack!
DireRadiant
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 8 2016, 05:49 PM) *
Welcome back, Dire.

1. Apologies Dire if you had a Watcher up. Honestly, I don't pay as much attention as I should to that stuff if I'm not planning a brutal assault on your position. But mostly I was just extremely eager for Jan to arrive...

32 hours of GMing in 4 days...

No worries, watchers are notoriously misnamed.
adamu
Location 1: Evergreen Washelli Cemetery, Bitter Lake neighborhood - easy to find on Internet, maps, lots of images available. The area is C-rated now - not at all nice, not the Barrens. Cemetery was once a moderately nice place, but that was generations ago. Now it's a big disused space and the only reason it doesn't get used for something else is, well, it's the 6th World - anyone see Poltergeist?

Location 2: Location 2

So the Costco and the Home Depot are still a couple of giant buildings in sea of same, but no longer commercial facilities. Both have been turned into logistics centers. The two smaller buildings between the two were the auto repair facility attached to Costco, but there was a big fire a few months ago and its all cordoned off now.
Raiderj
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 9 2016, 07:00 PM) *
@Tangled Currents - everyone but Mercy and Aria - feel free to converse or RP or whatever from the house.

Mr. J, you're the only one at the house that hasn't agreed to do this thing - feel free to discuss with D-Pop.

Anyone with any ideas or information to share that will help find the time and place, go for that too.

But I'm going to green light JDragon and Jack_Spade, both of whom are waiting until the afternoon of the 22nd, to join you.

So anything that you post before one of them shows up happens before then. And after they show up, you can have slept or you can post flashbacks.

Such is the price of getting everyone together - a bit artificial, but most important thing is getting all the players a chance to play, I think we'd all agree.

I'll stop with such time manipulations once you're all together.

So post when you're ready, JD and Jack!

The 22nd in real life?
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Aug 10 2016, 04:15 AM) *
The 22nd in real life?

Oops, you're right. They are waiting for the 21st, not the 22nd.
Mercy
@Adamu Thanks for pointing that out. I had missed the color change indicating that was a link. Fancy villa.
Aria
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 8 2016, 10:50 PM) *
Villa

Mercy and Aria, there's the material you were sent on the target house.

The address in on Lake Washington in the Matthew's Beach neighborhood. Assume it's a rich people's road leading along the shore, and that there are at least 500 meters plus screening tree lines between houses. No wall or gate shown in your materials. (Also no mention of security.)

As in the IC post, you have five photos of the target deckers. Yup, they all look pretty nerdy, but also trying hard to look cool. Three Asian humans, one black dwarf, one white elf. Accompanying info on them is scant - street names, and stuff (obviously written by someone very non-technical - a with or druid maybe) saying they are really badass deckers.

If you need concrete personal details, ask and I can provide them insofar as the materials you've been given do.

Any questions let me know!

I've added the pics to the OP wiki!

https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.c...is/luxury-villa
mister__joshua
I haven't been following other threads, but I get the feeling this Bronwyn may be someone I've met before, maybe as a different, more awesome, character? It also makes me question who D-Pop might be biggrin.gif

Am I mistaken? wink.gif
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Aug 10 2016, 01:48 PM) *
I haven't been following other threads, but I get the feeling this Bronwyn may be someone I've met before, maybe as a different, more awesome, character? It also makes me question who D-Pop might be biggrin.gif

Am I mistaken? wink.gif

Wouldn't it be fun if I was that clever?

But no, these are the first appearances of Bronwyn and D-Pop in anything I've run or played in or read.
Raiderj
Doing a bit for Vexboy until im done he is visibly woozy and looks sick.

Also I think im the first in the new batch to pull off something! No spoilers yet!
adamu
@To the safehouse group - just want to double-check no one's waiting on me for anything.

Seem's like Raider has some posts planned.

All are free to keep RPing/planning.

I am waiting to do anything that pushes things forward until Revenant and Rocky arrive, but if anyone needs anything from that big 'rest of the universe' I am controlling, give a shout.
JDragon
Rocky has arrived at the safe house. smile.gif

@Adamu - I have another trip planned in 2 weeks for a long weekend. I expect to have internet access but its not guaranteed. Once I'm back from that nothing major planned till December.
adamu
Sweet - JD in the house (or outside the door).

That is a planned but major time jump.

Assume sleeping/eating took place in the meantime.

Flashbacks or whatever else also welcome if there was anything you'd wanted to do during the day that you missed a chance to post.

OOC planning is also sometimes more post-efficient than IC, and you've had plenty of time for that.

Once Revenant arrives, I'll have D-Pop tell you all what her people's initial rough recon revealed about the sites, and off you go!
JDragon
So a couple things...

First @Jack - Rocky is a Troll not an ork, bigger, stronger and probably uglier. smile.gif

Second @Adamu - Not trying to cause problems but I see Rocky being on edge and not reacting kindly when a guy appears out of no where headed for the door just as its about to be opened. And with the day he's had he may act first and ask questions later.
Jack_Spade
That's fine. Nothing like a fast draw to make new friends wink.gif
adamu
yeah, sure, play it out, dude, if that's what your character would do.

who could blame you, really!
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu @ Aug 12 2016, 03:36 PM) *
yeah, sure, play it out, dude, if that's what your character would do.

who could blame you, really!

Will do...

Going to start with a Perception roll to notice him closing and check for weapons.

Perception 6 dice
Rolls: 1, 4, 2, 6, 4, 1 = 1 hit

Well I'm guessing he's going to be almost on top of me by the time I notice, which will mean more of a knee jerk reaction. If he sees anything that could possibly be a weapon he will take a swing. If no weapon and looks or indicates he's on my "team" will give him a moment to explain. If he does end up swinging he will not use killing hands until he sees a weapon or is attacked.

Init Roll 9+3d6
Rolls: 3, 4, 5 = 12 + 9 = 21

Attack Roll
Unarmed Attack (Boxing) (Reaction 6 + Boxing 7): 13 dice
Rolls: 4, 4, 4, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 5, 2, 3, 2, 6 = 4 hits
Damage: 4 Hits + DV 9S; AP -4

If I'm outta line here let me know. I'm not opposed to resolving it IC with out rolls, just not sure how to play it. I have no need to do the my character is stronger/better than your character deal just reacting the way I think Rocky would in the situation with the crappy people keep trying to kill me day that he has gotten dragged in to.
Vegas
@Adamu (and all TC'ers)

Popping in with the 30 seconds of free time I have...

Rave will discreetly make plans to acquire her gear well away from the safe house and return (hopefully!) unfollowed. I have an insane rest of the weekend for me so I probably won't get a flashback post up till Monday at the earliest. Not ideal, but those are the breaks with PbP. :\

I figure we should have some kind of security in place prior to Rocky + Jack's arrival, especially with Jan on board now wink.gif Feel free to place Rave wherever she's needed if y'all push forward before Monday.
adamu
QUOTE (JDragon @ Aug 13 2016, 12:28 AM) *
Will do...

Going to start with a Perception roll to notice him closing and check for weapons.

Perception 6 dice
Rolls: 1, 4, 2, 6, 4, 1 = 1 hit

Well I'm guessing he's going to be almost on top of me by the time I notice, which will mean more of a knee jerk reaction. If he sees anything that could possibly be a weapon he will take a swing. If no weapon and looks or indicates he's on my "team" will give him a moment to explain. If he does end up swinging he will not use killing hands until he sees a weapon or is attacked.

Init Roll 9+3d6
Rolls: 3, 4, 5 = 12 + 9 = 21

Attack Roll
Unarmed Attack (Boxing) (Reaction 6 + Boxing 7): 13 dice
Rolls: 4, 4, 4, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6, 5, 2, 3, 2, 6 = 4 hits
Damage: 4 Hits + DV 9S; AP -4

If I'm outta line here let me know. I'm not opposed to resolving it IC with out rolls, just not sure how to play it. I have no need to do the my character is stronger/better than your character deal just reacting the way I think Rocky would in the situation with the crappy people keep trying to kill me day that he has gotten dragged in to.

Totally cool with your character's reaction, and I'm sure Jack is too.

I agree there's no point getting into a lot of competitiveness - just a potential initial misunderstanding between team members...

Plus, you guys are both strong on both offense and defense, and things could get ugly if we turn the dice loose!!!

How about you guys just work together and improvise it as a fun IC scene.

And of course, we also established that the people in the house have put up some sort of security, so if anyone inside wants to step into the scene, that's cool too (although I think Vexboy's going to be busy having a vision or something).

Just everyone have fun with it.
adamu
QUOTE (Vegas @ Aug 13 2016, 12:56 AM) *
@Adamu (and all TC'ers)

Popping in with the 30 seconds of free time I have...

Rave will discreetly make plans to acquire her gear well away from the safe house and return (hopefully!) unfollowed. I have an insane rest of the weekend for me so I probably won't get a flashback post up till Monday at the earliest. Not ideal, but those are the breaks with PbP. :\

I figure we should have some kind of security in place prior to Rocky + Jack's arrival, especially with Jan on board now wink.gif Feel free to place Rave wherever she's needed if y'all push forward before Monday.

Sounds good. Get your gear. Post when you can.

Good luck with your crazy weekend!
JDragon
@Adamu - Thanks for the direction.

@Jack - So I think the first question is going to be what does Rocky see as you approach and how fast are you coming at him? Any weapons in hand or easily accessible?

As you could see from my post above Rocky is a bit on edge and will default to hitting first and asking questions second.

Jack_Spade
I'll post it in detail, but what you see in the half darkness of this November evening is a man of middling height, with a very average looking face that can't be pinned down on any ethnicity in particular. He is wearing a coat over armored clothing (the gel packs give it away)
He has no weapons in hand, but something about his gait is not natural - the uncanny valley effect is triggered most likely.
(https://stormy-waters-2075.obsidianportal.com/characters/john-revenant-henry)

But just in case we really want to throw down:

Ini: 14+5d6 32

Full defense: Defense: 19d6t5 10
adamu
Yikes - more dice!

If you guys are just interested in a possibly tense but basically just RP scene, please go for it, tht will be fun.
But for that there's no need for dice!
It's like playing paintball with real bullets!

Just work out a cool scene. It could be like when Marvel and DC let two of their heroes go head-to-head, and of course it has to come out with both looking good...

If you are seriously committed to hurting one another and must use dice, then PM the rolls to me and I will unhappily adjudicate.
Jack_Spade
Nah, no hurting. That's what full defense is for wink.gif
John is just dodging should the Troll start to throw punches
adamu
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 13 2016, 12:37 PM) *
Nah, no hurting. That's what full defense is for wink.gif
John is just dodging should the Troll start to throw punches

Cool!
adamu
@Mercy & Aria

Things might happen quickly now. You've got about one combat turn worth of actions you can perform before if you want to before I cut in with more unfolding events.

Mercy, if you want to understand what has come in over the transceiver, you'll need a Japanese roll with the -2 penalty for dialect.
Mercy
Understand the Japaneseon the 'link: Language Test: 5d6t5 2 2 hits

I hope it is enough. Looks like we picked the wrong time to come calling. I knew it had been too easy so far.
adamu
@Mercy - the voice is very rough, thug Japanese, senior talking to a junior.

"Pulling up now. Meet us in front, but leave your men in their positions."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012