Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 1 2016, 01:30 PM) *
Narration and description always a trick with SR combat time.

It has been just one second since three peeled away from the cloud and two charged through it at you. But though a couple are probably still skidding into position, looks like they're stopping with plans to start shooting into the cloud at you - as in the IC, all are swapping their medieval weapons for firearms.

Rocky will step to the edge of the smoke to lash out at which ever one has the biggest gun and then fade back in to the smoke.

Unarmed Attack (Boxing) (Reaction 6 + Boxing 7): 13 dice
Rolls: 3, 5, 5, 3, 6, 2, 5, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5 / 5 hits

Damage: 5 Hits + DV 9P; AP -4

I think that will be my last IP for this round.
mister__joshua
Cutting Audric free

Agility test to cut while moving: 10d6t5 3

Looks like he's unhurt... for now nyahnyah.gif
Raiderj
Interception test: 22d6t5 8

Thank you 22 die pool for Climbing tests. I knew it would pay off at char gen to get that specialization. Vexboy activates Hang Time when he gets on. Ill post in IC later after work or on my break.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Dec 2 2016, 05:03 PM) *
Interception test: 22d6t5 8

Thank you 22 die pool for Climbing tests. I knew it would pay off at char gen to get that specialization. Vexboy activates Hang Time when he gets on. Ill post in IC later after work or on my break.

Looking forward to it...
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 2 2016, 08:54 AM) *
Cutting Audric free

Agility test to cut while moving: 10d6t5 3

Looks like he's unhurt... for now nyahnyah.gif

Sweet - loved your IC post, by the way.

Pure Jan.
adamu
QUOTE (JDragon @ Dec 2 2016, 05:16 AM) *
Rocky will step to the edge of the smoke to lash out at which ever one has the biggest gun and then fade back in to the smoke.

Unarmed Attack (Boxing) (Reaction 6 + Boxing 7): 13 dice
Rolls: 3, 5, 5, 3, 6, 2, 5, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5 / 5 hits

Damage: 5 Hits + DV 9P; AP -4

I think that will be my last IP for this round.

Okay, he's toast, and Rocky slips back into the cloud.

@EVERYONE

That's the end of the combat turn.

JD, Mr. J, Raider J - again, why does everyone have J in their name? - you three are all free to IC if you feel like it.

I'll toss up a quick IC after you guys do, but basically all the remaining gangers go down - all the ones not down already are among those that were exposed to the pepper grenade, which (in defiance of reality, I can tell you from extensive experience) took four seconds to have a game-terms effect.
So bonus happiness if anyone mentions them all starting to gag or tear or snot up.

Need initiative from everyone, though, as still on combat time....and action declarations.

Jack - I assume your first action is still to go into the cab after the rigger? If so, I can start that IC, since as I said earlier, something happens just as you go in....
Jack_Spade
Well, yes. Although I would appreciate the chance to notice what they have there - it's not like John is deaf and blind.
So a detailed description of the situation might change my intended actions.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 3 2016, 07:00 AM) *
Well, yes. Although I would appreciate the chance to notice what they have there - it's not like John is deaf and blind.
So a detailed description of the situation might change my intended actions.

Just one of the downsides of PbP, I suppose. Encourage players not to be too timid, to go ahead and post the action forward to keep the game flowing. But sometimes they accidentally slide right past some of the fun challenges....

I do appreciate your editing your last post!

Anyway, as for "detailed description", I have actually already provided that in the IC - everything relevant that is immediately obvious/not hidden is there in the text. You draw your own conclusions from that.

I do know you are not deaf or blind. But I also know each action you take is being done in less than one second on top of a careening truck. So all you get for free is what RAW describes as "immediately obvious".

You can always take a Simple Action for Observe in Detail (rolling a Perception test to notice something "subtle or important" - assuming it is possibly visible) if you think that is warranted.
But she's not going to stop trying to throw you off the truck while you take time to do it!

PS - just checking you saw my earlier note that you got that last Edge point back (since I realized you were right, Climbing should be usable to stay on the truck).
Raiderj
Intitative: 4d6+9 22

My initative.

And my climbing roll. Assuming the trailer is metal thats minus 5. Its assisted so thats +2 so... 22-5+2 is 19. If Vexboy is able he peeks his head inside to see what its in there.

Climbing: 19d6t5 5
JDragon
Rock's Init Rd 3

Initiative: 9+3d6
Rolls: 4, 5, 1
Total: 19

adamu
Raider and JD - thanks for your initiative rolls for the upcoming Combat Turn .... now I need to know what you want to do!
mister__joshua
@adamu: Haha, thanks. I love playing Jan smile.gif
For my last IP of the round I was gonna bail out. How fast is the truck going and what damage would I take on a tuck and roll, trying to shield Audric from the damage?
Raiderj
Vexboy is gonna wait for Jan to respond then attempt to climb down the side of the truck to get to the bottom. I then switch to thermographic vision to see heat. Turns out hangtime gives me a plus 2 so lets just see...

Climbing: 21d6t5 6

Nice. Vexboy has thermographic vision so he doesn't touch anything when he gets down below.
JDragon
Not seeing any active threats Rocky will head for where ever he can see/ hear the truck.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 3 2016, 06:27 PM) *
Just one of the downsides of PbP, I suppose. Encourage players not to be too timid, to go ahead and post the action forward to keep the game flowing. But sometimes they accidentally slide right past some of the fun challenges....

I do appreciate your editing your last post!

Anyway, as for "detailed description", I have actually already provided that in the IC - everything relevant that is immediately obvious/not hidden is there in the text. You draw your own conclusions from that.

I do know you are not deaf or blind. But I also know each action you take is being done in less than one second on top of a careening truck. So all you get for free is what RAW describes as "immediately obvious".

You can always take a Simple Action for Observe in Detail (rolling a Perception test to notice something "subtle or important" - assuming it is possibly visible) if you think that is warranted.
But she's not going to stop trying to throw you off the truck while you take time to do it!

PS - just checking you saw my earlier note that you got that last Edge point back (since I realized you were right, Climbing should be usable to stay on the truck).

Just found time to re-read the IP info on the truck, but I'm still not sure what I'm missing.
To clarify I'll recap what happened from my perspective

So far John
- damaged the truck and gassed the bikers
- shot a bit more
- changed position and hid (stealth check)
- used his silenced rifle to shoot another biker
- was immediately afterwards charged by the truck at his new position (implying that they had a lock on John to find his new position or that they intended to exit through this lane anyway and it was only dumb (bad)luck placing John there)
- evaded and jumped on the truck's hood
- punched in and ripped out the windscreen (or at least made a 1mē wide hole)
- was shot at and soaked a salvo to the face from a troll
- retaliated against the shooter

The next step would be to get into the cab, sit on the dead troll's lap and get a hold of the rigger.

I'm a bit lost at the moment what I can/should do instead, or what I missed.

mister__joshua
I think from my understanding (adamu correct me if I'm wrong) you haven't missed anything obvious, but there might be surprises that you aren't ready for, so state your intentions without following through with the actions. So instead of ending with the climbing in, throttling and intimidating you just go with 'John went to climb in through the cab windscreen" and give adamu chance to GM it.

An example of things you might miss, that aren't obvious, but would affect the scene as you described it:
- The rigger is a realistic dummy and not really there
- The troll has a kill-switch explosion about to go off etc...

While I'm posting I just want to come back to something you said a few pages ago I never got to comment on:
'That said, I intend to retire this character after this run is over.

Revenant was a character concept I wanted to try for a while - especially to see how far the Terminator concept could be driven - but he doesn't quite mash with the power level of the other runners due to his (admittedly unfair) inherent advantages.'

I think Revenant is a really interesting character concept, and executed brilliantly. I think it'd be a shame if he did retire, but I do agree he's probably overpowered. I love terminator concepts though. Used to play CP2020 with full borgs in which is something you don't get much in Shadowrun unless you're looking at Cyberzombies. This guy works much better. I think it'd be interesting, now he's more well known, if adamu made a focus to attack and disable Revenant instead of throwing goons at him (which basically has no effect). I'm sure he must have a weakness wink.gif
Jack_Spade
Lots. In the end it's only a drone. A well aimed burst with stick'n shock would take him out in no time. (Those are automatically physical damage vs. vehicles no matter how high the armor)
mister__joshua
I suppose his strength then it's in people not knowing his nature smile.gif
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 5 2016, 05:33 PM) *
While I'm posting I just want to come back to something you said a few pages ago I never got to comment on:
'That said, I intend to retire this character after this run is over.

Revenant was a character concept I wanted to try for a while - especially to see how far the Terminator concept could be driven - but he doesn't quite mash with the power level of the other runners due to his (admittedly unfair) inherent advantages.'

I think Revenant is a really interesting character concept, and executed brilliantly. I think it'd be a shame if he did retire, but I do agree he's probably overpowered. I love terminator concepts though. Used to play CP2020 with full borgs in which is something you don't get much in Shadowrun unless you're looking at Cyberzombies. This guy works much better. I think it'd be interesting, now he's more well known, if adamu made a focus to attack and disable Revenant instead of throwing goons at him (which basically has no effect). I'm sure he must have a weakness wink.gif

Personally, I don't believe there are overpowered characters - in a world with Great Dragons and vampires and coporate armies etc etc a GM can always come up with deadly challenges.

To be fair, though, Jack didn't say John was overpowered, but that he was overpowered relative to this group - which may be true. But hey, don't apologize for coming up with a great build!!!
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 5 2016, 05:33 PM) *
I think from my understanding (adamu correct me if I'm wrong) you haven't missed anything obvious, but there might be surprises that you aren't ready for, so state your intentions without following through with the actions. So instead of ending with the climbing in, throttling and intimidating you just go with 'John went to climb in through the cab windscreen" and give adamu chance to GM it.

This is exactly what I was thinking of the best way to say on the way home. Thanks Mr. J.

I didn't mean for this to turn into an issue.
And there is no 'should do' or 'should see'.

Something will happen as you go into the cab, is all. Bad guys try hard not to die and stuff.

Your summary seems accurate in terms of events, though I can't say if every assumption is correct.

Let's just move on - Initiative for this combat turn and declare first action!
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 5 2016, 07:01 PM) *
I suppose his strength then it's in people not knowing his nature smile.gif

And me being too lazy/time-starved to really read all the relevant rules about such a build.
But that's better in some ways, because I wouldn't want to unfairly/subconsciously design threats around a particular character's weaknesses.
adamu
QUOTE (JDragon @ Dec 4 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Not seeing any active threats Rocky will head for where ever he can see/ hear the truck.

Let's keep it fun!

I don't see any problem with saying that in the three seconds the truck has been moving it barrelled down a street in your direction but a block away parallel - so if you cut through the right alley you could intercept it if you wanted....
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Dec 4 2016, 08:27 PM) *
Vexboy is gonna wait for Jan to respond then attempt to climb down the side of the truck to get to the bottom. I then switch to thermographic vision to see heat. Turns out hangtime gives me a plus 2 so lets just see...

Climbing: 21d6t5 6

Nice. Vexboy has thermographic vision so he doesn't touch anything when he gets down below.

Cool if you want to hold action for Jan, just go after he ICs.

Climbing clearly a success, though later you may need to make an opposed test (like John had to) if the rigger gets another chance to actively try and throw her riders off.

adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 4 2016, 08:13 PM) *
@adamu: Haha, thanks. I love playing Jan smile.gif
For my last IP of the round I was gonna bail out. How fast is the truck going and what damage would I take on a tuck and roll, trying to shield Audric from the damage?

Thanks for assuming it's dangerous (since silly rules say no damage at less than three meters). This is not three meters, but yeah, you can get hurt jumping from a fast-moving truck.

Only been moving for three seconds, but those silly riggers with Edge can do "magical" things with their rides, so you're moving right along.

With no particular RAW, let's make it a Gymnastics (Jumping) test with a threshold of two successes, but -4 dice if you want to ensure the kid does not get hurt.

Failure means 5P damage, armor applicable.
JDragon
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 5 2016, 01:38 PM) *
Let's keep it fun!

I don't see any problem with saying that in the three seconds the truck has been moving it barrelled down a street in your direction but a block away parallel - so if you cut through the right alley you could intercept it if you wanted....

Sounds like a plan, though I will not be looking to join the cluster up front. I'll wait for it to go by and see whats going on in the trailer.

JD
mister__joshua
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 5 2016, 09:31 PM) *
Personally, I don't believe there are overpowered characters - in a world with Great Dragons and vampires and coporate armies etc etc a GM can always come up with deadly challenges.

To be fair, though, Jack didn't say John was overpowered, but that he was overpowered relative to this group - which may be true. But hey, don't apologize for coming up with a great build!!!

Oh, I totally agree. What I was saying (thought admittedly it doesn't read like that) is that I think John is an interesting character and it'd be a shame if he retired. I would enjoy seeing him get beat up thought. Terminator concepts don't retire, they get destroyed in the field piece by piece... nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 5 2016, 09:48 PM) *
Thanks for assuming it's dangerous (since silly rules say no damage at less than three meters). This is not three meters, but yeah, you can get hurt jumping from a fast-moving truck.

Only been moving for three seconds, but those silly riggers with Edge can do "magical" things with their rides, so you're moving right along.

With no particular RAW, let's make it a Gymnastics (Jumping) test with a threshold of two successes, but -4 dice if you want to ensure the kid does not get hurt.

Failure means 5P damage, armor applicable.

Cool

Jump and roll from truck: 8d6t5 4

We're ok then biggrin.gif

I couldn't remember/weren't sure if jumping was agility or strength based. As it seemed more appropriate (controlled drop rather than long jump) I used agility, but I still get 3 hits if it's strength so it doesn't make a difference smile.gif

Edit: IC post up. And my dice rolling seems to be on fire today. Initiative for the next round Initiative: 11+2d6 21
Raiderj
Im changing my action to moving up to where John is to assist.
Jack_Spade
@adamu
I'm not apologizing for the concept, but a) I'm to much GM myself to disregard team structure and participation and John Henry just isn't the best team player b) I've got a whole bunch of other concepts that I want to try out in play (Dead Fox and Rex the mage in dogform for example)

That said: I don't want John to end as road kill either. Wiping out the Koreans will have consequences anyway, so as a final FU to the Seoulpa he intends to set the other slaves free as well.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 6 2016, 03:10 PM) *
@adamu
I'm not apologizing for the concept, but a) I'm to much GM myself to disregard team structure and participation and John Henry just isn't the best team player b) I've got a whole bunch of other concepts that I want to try out in play (Dead Fox and Rex the mage in dogform for example)

That said: I don't want John to end as road kill either. Wiping out the Koreans will have consequences anyway, so as a final FU to the Seoulpa he intends to set the other slaves free as well.

Maybe he can join Jan in exterminating all orientals in Seattle? nyahnyah.gif

Now I say it out loud it does sound a bit genocide hate crimey...
Jack_Spade
It's not racism if you hate everybody...
Raiderj
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 6 2016, 03:59 PM) *
It's not racism if you hate everybody...

I think I found my Sig Quote.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Dec 6 2016, 01:57 PM) *
Im changing my action to moving up to where John is to assist.

Say twelve meters along the length of the container to the roof of the tractor cab.

You could climb along the side, but that would be pretty slow.

You could go on foot on top of the container and jump onto the roof of the cab.
The distance is a Walk for you, but you won't arrive until the end of the combat turn.

You'll make it in half that time (so for you, after your second IP of the turn) if you Run.

Moving along the top and jumping onto the cab is let's say Agility + Reaction for three successes - if you run then you take the -2 dice running modifier. If you fall it will be like a car crash, unprotected - hopefully we won't have to get into those rules.

That's the basic test - if that Rigger gets a chance to crazy-drive while you are still on the vehicle exterior, then you'll also have to do the opposed test with her to avoid the same fate.

So choose your poison - and of course if you have another way to get there, that's cool too.
adamu
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 6 2016, 03:10 PM) *
@adamu

Well, John Henry is a cool and interesting character. The other concepts sound fun too!

Either way, I doubt he'll end up as road kill.
Yeah, they're not giving up yet (would you?). But you've got that Edge point back and I think all of your GM's find you maddeningly hard to really challenge!!!

Interesting you're all about freeing all the kids, now - took John for more in the Jan mercenary school, rather than the Vexboy do-gooder school!

All good!

I'll put up an IC and then come back with numbers for you....
adamu
@Jack - you'll need a mere two successes to dodge.

In case you get the worst roll in the world, the DV is 10P, 0 AP.
Raiderj
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 6 2016, 09:25 PM) *
Say twelve meters along the length of the container to the roof of the tractor cab.

You could climb along the side, but that would be pretty slow.

You could go on foot on top of the container and jump onto the roof of the cab.
The distance is a Walk for you, but you won't arrive until the end of the combat turn.

You'll make it in half that time (so for you, after your second IP of the turn) if you Run.

Moving along the top and jumping onto the cab is let's say Agility + Reaction for three successes - if you run then you take the -2 dice running modifier. If you fall it will be like a car crash, unprotected - hopefully we won't have to get into those rules.

That's the basic test - if that Rigger gets a chance to crazy-drive while you are still on the vehicle exterior, then you'll also have to do the opposed test with her to avoid the same fate.

So choose your poison - and of course if you have another way to get there, that's cool too.

Ok i will walk. And at then after walking I activate my Hang Time Foci to stick my feet to the car. I gotta get 3 hits? Here goes nothing!!!

Sucidial Running Test: 12d6t5 5

HELL YES!
Jack_Spade
Defense: 14d6t5 5

Ah, good old combat drugs. Kamikaze or Blood of Kali?

In any case, time to remove a few organs to stop this silliness wink.gif

Claw Attack (Vitals)
AGI 8, Skill 6, Superhuman Psychosis 1, The Greatest Cyberlimb Mod 1, Control Rig 3, Vitals -4
Claw Attack: 15d6t5 4 [15d6t5=1, 2, 1, 3, 5, 3, 1, 6, 3, 2, 1, 6, 4, 6, 2]

DV 11 AP-3 +net successes
mister__joshua
@adamu: Aww, if that's what was going to happen you should totally have let John sit on his knee nyahnyah.gif
Aria
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 6 2016, 09:28 PM) *
...But you've got that Edge point back and I think all of your GM's find you maddeningly hard to really challenge!!!...

Amen to that! It's why I'm trying for social situations in CoF for a bit biggrin.gif
Jack_Spade
Thank god you are going for social, for a moment I thought you wanted me to be mentally challenged rotfl.gif

(And don't believe for a minute you lot aren't challenging me enough. You wouldn't believe how much time I spend between posts with planing and searching for solutions)
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 7 2016, 01:46 PM) *
Thank god you are going for social, for a moment I thought you wanted me to be mentally challenged rotfl.gif

(And don't believe for a minute you lot aren't challenging me enough. You wouldn't believe how much time I spend between posts with planing and searching for solutions)

I just do the first thing that comes into my head nyahnyah.gif
Jack_Spade
Which reminds me: When this is over John wants his micro welder back wink.gif biggrin.gif
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 7 2016, 03:49 PM) *
Which reminds me: When this is over John wants his micro welder back wink.gif biggrin.gif

Haha. You'll have to catch me first.... ....ahh, crap.
Raiderj
What can Vexboy see from where he is?
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Dec 7 2016, 04:58 PM) *
What can Vexboy see from where he is?

You chose to walk, so you get to the cab at end of combat turn, which is really just now starting.

Since I assume you're looking forward, I think you see ten meters of container and ahead of that lots of cars trying, with varying degrees of succes, to get out of the way.

Note that your walking is only movement, and the test I required is incidental, so you have actions if there are any you want to perform from where you are (Perception? since you want to know what you see - that will get you more than the obvious, depending on your roll), or just hold them...

adamu
@Raider - the rigger has six successes to throw you off. You need to beat that to stay on. You can choose Strength + Agility or a Climbing test. Seven you are fine, six and you lose your next action holding on, five or less and I have to crack open those horrible crash rules....

@Jack - per the IC, troll avoided your attack. His attack has three successes this time, and since he's activated his shock hand, ties are bad for you....
adamu
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 7 2016, 01:46 PM) *

Well, I've never doubted you're a hard-working player!
Shadowrun's a game where you can get a lot of mileage out of doing your homework...a lesson I should learn!
adamu
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Dec 7 2016, 08:44 AM) *
@adamu: Aww, if that's what was going to happen you should totally have let John sit on his knee nyahnyah.gif

I actually thought about that - a grapple attack with a substantial dice pool bonus - the "target sitting on lap" bonus.

But by then John would have already been in reach of the rigger, and the troll's job is to prevent that, so he went for the attack on the way in.
Jack_Spade
A tricky customer that troll
Defense: 14d6t5 5
Luckily this is still a series of blocks and counterstrikes.

Ini 22
Slash (Vitals): 15d6t5 4
Same procedure as before: Apply claws to throat (DV 11P AP-3 + Net successes)
Raiderj
I activated Hang Time though. It adheres me to the surface. I have the foci necessary.
adamu
@Jack - IC is pretty clear.

@Vexboy - John slashing the troll's throat happens after your not-falling-off test, so will still need that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012