Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2075: Stormy Waters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
adamu
Cool - all that is doable.
adamu
@Jack and Raider -

Jack, you stated you were going to head over to the other rooftop.
So the next action took place while you are en route. You can currently be anywhere you like on the ground between the two buildings.

Raider, I understand you were going to remain on the first roof. Any details you can give me on where exactly you are waiting up there is appreciated.

The sniper nest you found, just to repeat, is in the northeast corner.
The hinges you guys messed with are on the door in the northeasterly of the six larger blocks clearly visible on the map.

Jack, did you indeed leave a grenade or something in the sniper nest?
Can you let me know exactly what it is and the triggering options?

Thanks!
Jack_Spade
Jupp, it's a pepperpunch grenade, with active wifi (running silent of course). So when the time comes I can just detonate it with a command over the matrix.
Raiderj
Sneaking: 14d6t5 6

Well he is in the room waiting. He is gonna sneak attack the guys. Not at once he is gonna wait for an oppurtune time to get an easy kill. He is hanging on the ceiling and they have a minus 3 to hear him.
Jack_Spade
You do realize that that would likely alert the Koreans that their second location is compromised?
The taking out of the snipers should wait until the rest of the team is here and the Kids are delivered.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Aug 30 2016, 03:56 PM) *
Sneaking: 14d6t5 6

Well he is in the room waiting. He is gonna sneak attack the guys. Not at once he is gonna wait for an oppurtune time to get an easy kill. He is hanging on the ceiling and they have a minus 3 to hear him.

Raider - your character is a ninja - super well hidden it looks like (barring unforeseen factors....).

But just want to be on the same page with you about the setting.

Can we clarify where you are hiding?

Not sure what ceiling or what room you are talking about.
The sniper hide is a cobbled together pile of junk with just enough room for two people to lie flat in.

Or you could mean one of the six roof access structures - you would have to get into one, though...

Or, if we have envisioned things differently and you were thinking of some room that isn't there, feel free to apply those six successes to some other spot you can find on the map.
Raiderj
Where is the link to the map again?
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Aug 30 2016, 10:36 PM) *
Where is the link to the map again?

I last bunped it in post 2585.
Raiderj
I only have a mobile and can't see much. I am in the l
Process of saving up for a full comp. I meant the room directly outside the sniper hole. Is that usable?
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Aug 31 2016, 12:53 AM) *
I only have a mobile and can't see much. I am in the l
Process of saving up for a full comp. I meant the room directly outside the sniper hole. Is that usable?

Sorry about your tech issues, that's a challenge for you.

Wish I could just handwave something for you, but there's just no way what you're posting IC makes sense - there's just no ceiling anywhere that you have access to.

You are on a huge rooftop (just to repeat what's already been posted) of about 100 x 120 meters. There are a lot of HVAC units. There is the low sniper nest. And there are little structures that house stairwells up to the roof, none of which have you accessed yet (you have partly cut through the hinges of one door, but not gotten it open).

Please also assume you have access to the incoming texts - if you are making do without an image link, that's fine. but you could have your commlink set up for voice to text, or if you strictly read off your screen then assume you are just so good at hiding where you are hiding that you still have a hand free or something.

So let me know where you are hiding.

Aside from that, you are of course free to do what you like.
Vegas
Just a heads up, my hard drive fried today so I am computerless for an indefinite amount of time.

Raiderj, mad props to you for posting like you do from a phone... Just posting this is killing my patience.
Raiderj
Could I hide on the side of the building? In the alley where light wouldn't shine?

And it took practice Vegas. Turn off spell check. Im not kidding. It helps.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Aug 31 2016, 03:10 AM) *
Could I hide on the side of the building? In the alley where light wouldn't shine?

And it took practice Vegas. Turn off spell check. Im not kidding. It helps.

There's not really an alley - you are on a giant warehouse (a present day Home Depot superstore), with a lot of wide streets and parking lots around it.

But don't worry about shadows - you've already aced your Sneaking roll, so we assume you are finding the shadows that will conceal you.

Yeah, you can find a place to side on the outer wall below the lip of the roof, no problem.
Jack_Spade
@Raiderj

You don't have a trodenet for your com? That's highly unprofessional.

Also, the roof is huge, you can easily just get behind an AC unit without risk of being seen or falling of the roof wink.gif
Raiderj
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 31 2016, 06:41 AM) *
@Raiderj

You don't have a trodenet for your com? That's highly unprofessional.

Also, the roof is huge, you can easily just get behind an AC unit without risk of being seen or falling of the roof wink.gif

I have trodes just no image link.
And behind an AC it is!
Jack_Spade
In that case you don't need an image link - it takes care of all your AR needs by stimulating your visual cortex.
Raiderj
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 31 2016, 02:09 PM) *
In that case you don't need an image link - it takes care of all your AR needs by stimulating your visual cortex.

Well I have a post to edit. Can Vexboy use the activation code in AR?
Jack_Spade
Yupp, that's why I've sent it to you
adamu
@My side of Tangled Currents -

just a quick GM/players base-touch.

- People on evening of 21st: Got Vexboy on the roof over the target, John with the Koreans. They are a couple of hours ahead of the rest of you, so feel free to take any actions you want (prep? research? more scouting?). if you are good, then let me know that too, and if everyone is fine we can move time forward a bit.

People on afternoon of 22nd - we're about to go on combat time I thin...probably move forward once we hear from Aria vis a vis pre-combat actions and/or responses to Tanya's queries/requests.

Don't want to rush lovely people busy with RL. But also want to give everyone some idea of which balls are in which courts.

And of course if anyone is waiting on me for anything, do let me know!
JDragon
Hey all, sorry for the delay in getting back in to things after vacation. I've glanced at the IC but need to read it in detail, which I hope to do in the next few days, but the first half of the weekend is looking busy.

Glad I didn't have Rocky doing anything important.

Rocky will continue to use the time to sleep unless he is needed to help with something.
Imladir
Since it's also for a TC thread, I suppose I can use this one too for the OOC stuff.

QUOTE (Zen Gypsy @ Sep 5 2016, 04:37 AM) *
Perception check to find the Unit Leader, hopefully from my elevated position it will give me a clear line of sight, and eventual shot on target. Perception Check to find Merc's Comm. Officer: 14d6t5 2 ... or not! Damn you dice!

Don't forget that you probably have perception modifiers. For example, you're specifically looking for the man, which gives you a +3. There may be some penalties too of course, you should refer to p135, CRB for more details.
And maybe you know...change dice. The one you are using seem a bit subpar nyahnyah.gif
Aria
Ok, quick spell casting for Spriggan, trid phantasm force 5 12d6t5: 4 [12d6t5=2, 3, 3, 6, 1, 1, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6, 6] drain = force nyahnyah.gif

14d6t5: 3 [14d6t5=1, 5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 2, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3, 1, 2] so that's 2 drain, could be worse I suppose smile.gif

I'm assuming that you can conjure an illusion through a window...and that indeed I can see one?!? Trid Phantasm I've always played as being a complete overwrite of the existing condition...so it can make Spriggan invisible while she's in its radius...but if you disagree shout before I write the IC up please biggrin.gif
Imladir
QUOTE (Zen Gypsy @ Sep 5 2016, 05:56 PM) *
A long burst, so -9 on Defense Pool, with the HVAR & APDS ammo, so he'd also be at -4 Armor to soak the damage. Though I rolled like crap ... Long Burst (Full Auto) at Convoy's exterior Point Man: 18d6t5 3 ... with 3 success, I net 10P damage. Enough to make him take cover, but seriously, on 18 dice, BLECH!

He probably doesn't even have a defence roll due to surprise, so you got that going for you.
If your goal was to have the mercenaries in the vicinity of the car take cover, you should have taken a suppressive fire action no? And since (if I understood right) you are behind them, they'd have to expose themselves to the vory to take cover from you, so good luck. Plus, they would have had a penalty to all actions, seems nice. No?
Mercy
Echo is actually ahead of the two vehicles. He is looking directly down at the men who are firing at the wall for some reason.
Mercy
@Aria Adamu is on and has not responded, so maybe he agrees with your concept..........................................

LOL I am just being itchy. Take your time and do the post how you want it. It has given me time to think of how badly I might be screwing this up, but I guess we will find out if the two of us can survive this. I hope that you have a good exit strategy, because Tanya does not. This is all so much an adrenaline rush to her and fits right in with he risk taking attitude.
Aria
Hmmm two adrenaline junkies in a life or death situation, what could go wrong?!? smile.gif
Mercy
Indeed. What could go wrong?
adamu
QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 5 2016, 01:47 PM) *
Ok, quick spell casting for Spriggan, trid phantasm force 5 12d6t5: 4 [12d6t5=2, 3, 3, 6, 1, 1, 1, 2, 5, 4, 6, 6] drain = force nyahnyah.gif

14d6t5: 3 [14d6t5=1, 5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 2, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3, 1, 2] so that's 2 drain, could be worse I suppose smile.gif

I'm assuming that you can conjure an illusion through a window...and that indeed I can see one?!? Trid Phantasm I've always played as being a complete overwrite of the existing condition...so it can make Spriggan invisible while she's in its radius...but if you disagree shout before I write the IC up please biggrin.gif

Yeah, of course you can do it through a window.
Yeah, you could be a part of the scene and thus be invisible within it. In theory.

Here's the catch - the description of area spells says your spell doesn't affect anything not in your line of sight.
Now since it's a physical spell, I am not going to say that means it doesn't affect viewers outside your line of sight.
But that does apply to the actual constuction/maintenance of the illusion.
In other words, your phantasm will not come into being anywhere outside your LOS.
So if you are doing it out a window, make sure you don't mind a non-affected blind spot, just for example, right below the window.
Of if you are right inside the area of effect, not sure how you would get a 360 effect...
So that's your problem to solve.

Looking forward to seeing what the illusion is!!!
Jack_Spade
Ok, what John tries to do:
Stealth tags are a funny thing: They have device rating 3 and Sleaze 3. Since Data Trails everyone knows that the old "I have a hundred Stealth Tags running so you can't find my pan" doesn't work since you can filter stealth tags out somehow.

Now, John is taking some tags apart to generate electronic packs.
The roll is Pilot (cool.gif + Hardware (6) - 4 (Non-Comlink or Cyberware)
Scrounging: 10d6t5 4 [10d6t5=1, 6, 4, 5, 2, 6, 4, 4, 1, 5] Limited to three
Scrounging: 10d6t5 6 [10d6t5=2, 1, 5, 6, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 2] Limited to three
Scrounging: 10d6t5 2 [10d6t5=3, 1, 6, 6, 1, 4, 1, 2, 4, 3]

That's two packs worth of electronics and half an hour of time spent
Now it gets dicey: I want to add the persona firmware to another stealth tag:
Logic 5 + Hardware 6 + Pilot Origins 2
Improvising: 13d6t5 5 Edge for rerolls
Improvising Rerolling: 8d6t5 6
15 Minutes
Improvising Rerolling: 13d6t5 4

Total work 1 hour to create a stealth tag phone

And finally a Con role to keep this deception secret: Con: 5d6t5 2

Now John should be able to send discreet messages through a new stealthy device that isn't monitored by the matrix overwatch of the Koreans smile.gif

mister__joshua
Haha, cool. I didn't know that was possible. Haven't read Data Trails, and it's ages since I ever read the core. Sounds neat though.
Beta
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Sep 6 2016, 12:13 PM) *
Haha, cool. I didn't know that was possible. Haven't read Data Trails, and it's ages since I ever read the core. Sounds neat though.

The electronic modifications/parts/etc is all in Datatrails. And technically you can play with anything with a matrix connection, which in 2077 can mean the toaster, should you really need it to make phone calls for you.
Jack_Spade
I've been waiting for a while to use that trick in play biggrin.gif
Build&Repair are underused options in this edition.
Beta
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Sep 6 2016, 01:40 PM) *
I've been waiting for a while to use that trick in play biggrin.gif
Build&Repair are underused options in this edition.

Nice spot for it (especially with the 'people ignore a bundle of stealth tags' bit), and ditto on having been hoping for a good opportunity to use it.
Raiderj
Any suggestions on what to do next. Vexboy is competent but I am a newb
DireRadiant
Summon Watcher 8 dice F3
Force 3 Watcher Magic 4 + Ritual Magic 4: 8d6t5 3
Force 3 Watcher Resist * 2: 6d6t5 1
Drain Resist 2 DV Wil 2 + Cha 5: 7d6t5 0
Hah 2 Stun!
1 Force 3 Watcher lasts 6 hours cost 12 reagents

Summon Air Spirit F4 12 dice + 1 service
Summon Air Spirit F4 12 dice + 1 service: 12d6t5 4
Force 4 Spirit Resist: 4d6t5 1
Drain Resist 2 DV Wil 2 + Cha 5: 7d6t5 4
1 Force 4 Air Spirit 4 Services No Drain
adamu
Busy couple of days. But slick moves, Jack, covering your verbal slip and especially with the comms. I second beta's sentiment on having been wishing for a chance to use those rules!

All seems to be going well. Assuming they're not just stringing you along, then after an hour (and yes, they're all still just sitting there an hour later ) your toy works and no one seems to notice....
Raiderj
Toy as in the grenade?
Mercy
Toy as in his jury-rigged 'link, I think.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (adamu @ Sep 8 2016, 01:12 AM) *
Busy couple of days. But slick moves, Jack, covering your verbal slip and especially with the comms. I second beta's sentiment on having been wishing for a chance to use those rules!

All seems to be going well. Assuming they're not just stringing you along, then after an hour (and yes, they're all still just sitting there an hour later ) your toy works and no one seems to notice....

The fun thing is: I actually was referring to his statement. Didn't even think about the other possibility biggrin.gif

So, now that communications are reestablished (only text, no data feed anymore) it's time to get the team moving.
mister__joshua
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Sep 8 2016, 07:38 AM) *
The fun thing is: I actually was referring to his statement. Didn't even think about the other possibility biggrin.gif

That's how I read it too, but it works either way nyahnyah.gif
Looking forward to getting in on the action now!
Raiderj
Vincent sneaks up to see if anyone if on any rooms nearby.
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Sep 8 2016, 09:16 PM) *
Vincent sneaks up to see if anyone if on any rooms nearby.

Raider - help me out a little. Sorry I'm a bit slow.

1. Originally here in the OOC thread you said you wanted to hide by hanging off the side of the bldg.
But then you changed it to hide behind an AC. And that's where your last IC post has you.
Now you're talking about hanging off a wall in latest IC.
Please confirm for me where you are.

2. For this OOC post quoted above, do you mean roofs nearby? Or do you mean rooms? If you mean rooms, not sure what you want to do - you're on a rooftop. There is a pile of garbage with snipers under it. There are a total of six rooftop access structures, all very far apart (it's a very big roof), all locked (but you've weakened one structurally to maybe help you break it if you need to).

If you mean roofs nearby, none are nearby, really. The big building to the north of your target site is dozens of meters away, but you still see some guys over there putting together something - probably another sniper hide. They are not apparently in a huge hurry or trying that hard to be sneaky about it.
adamu
@DES group -

sounds like you guys are debating your course of action, both for the people at the safehouse and John and Vexboy.

Feel free to take any actions you like, preparatory, investigative, proactive, aggressive, passive, metaphysical, sociopolitical.

Meanwhile, I sense a debate about whether to sit and wait, or take action.

For either, then:
(1) if anyone takes any direct action, can you please let us know at what time you'll be doing so, because before it starts I'll want to know exactly where everyone is by that point in time.

(2) If there is a consensus to sit and wait (people could still do preparatory things etc if they wanted), let me know that to so that I can progress time to next external event.

No rush to post OOC or IC - just trying to keep things orderly.
Jack_Spade
Yeah, the "whole transaction might not take place" thing has me worried, but likewise the perspective of five dozen opponents during the hand off.
And people who take off their protective gear would make for such a lovely explosion target wink.gif
Aria
@Adam & Mercy:

It's hardly the epic work of illusory description that I had in mind but sadly all I've got time to write now so I thought I'd better get something up as I'm slowing things down frown.gif
Mercy
That seems fairly descriptive to me. Now we go to town. Fingers crossed.

I am hoping that Tanya's first actions catch the boss off guard and surprise him. Spriggan's 10 second delay should give her time to kill the man and be prepared to tell the first man running in that Tanaka has killed the boss and betrayed then all. The illusion should help with that. I am not sure what rolls I need to make at this stage since I think the man should be completely surprised, but let me know if I need any.
JDragon
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Sep 8 2016, 11:33 PM) *
Yeah, the "whole transaction might not take place" thing has me worried, but likewise the perspective of five dozen opponents during the hand off.
And people who take off their protective gear would make for such a lovely explosion target wink.gif

I agree this is a bit worrisome. I think as a whole we make the call and deal with it.

Rocky would say go for it and see what happens, but he is not the strategist.
Raiderj
Hm...Vexboy is gonna have to wait and see what the two snipers do. If he waits for them to go into their hideout they will be less likely to see him sneak in. But its clear to me that Vexboy is most likely gonna have to kill each of the Snipers at the same time or within rapid succession. If one sounds an alarm the whole op is at risk.
Mercy
LOL I am wondering what would happen if you go now. Would it totally invalidate anything that Tanya and Spriggan are doing?
adamu
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Sep 9 2016, 08:55 PM) *
Hm...Vexboy is gonna have to wait and see what the two snipers do. If he waits for them to go into their hideout they will be less likely to see him sneak in. But its clear to me that Vexboy is most likely gonna have to kill each of the Snipers at the same time or within rapid succession. If one sounds an alarm the whole op is at risk.

@Raider - it is clear you are thinking carefully about your next move.
It is always essential when doing so for player and GM to have the same understanding of what's going on.

The two guys on the same roof with you have already gone into their hide. (All the other guys you see are on another rooftop maybe a hundred meters away.)

The two guys built up only one rifle before then went into the hide - one is likely the spotter for the other.

It would be just about physically impossible for Vexboy to sneak into their hide as it is just a crawlspace under the garbage just large enough to accommodate two men lying side by side.

Hopefully that's helpful.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012