Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Grinder
Koalas are great! rotfl.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (Edward @ Jul 20 2005, 11:22 PM)
A koalas could be in for a privet zoo (that’s what you call it when you give in to your daughter and get her a koalas) and get infected with HMHVV latter.

vegm.gif My players are gonna hate me....

A large Bagger. smile.gif Or a HMHVV rabit! Bunnicula!!!

Bring forth the holy hand grenade!
Lady Door
These are sooo going to be in my game. Now, if I could only find a way to get them on the Queen Mary.... *walks away mumbling to herself..*
fistandantilus4.0
I just had to share this. This is a little clip of a trillian chat between my wife and I discussing the little drop bear buggers:

[00:05] alysha: I also posted on the Drop Bears thread too. smile.gif
[00:08] Benb: where?
[00:09] alysha: in SR
[00:09] Benb: found it
[00:09] Benb: they can be dinner
[00:09] alysha: hahah... shut up.
[00:10] Benb: !?
[00:10] alysha: nothing.. smile.gif
[00:10] Benb: !?!?
[00:10] Benb: |sneaky
[00:10] alysha: they're supposed to be a threat.. not a menu item.
[00:10] Benb: HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
Mortax
Beware the bunnicula! They will suck all the juice out of your vegetables while you sleep! Bwahahaha!
Lady Door
Shhhh, Mortax, it's okay. Just sit down and everything will be allright.... *pats Mortax on the head*
fistandantilus4.0
BUNYIPS! BUNYIPS EVERYWHERE! BUUUUUUNNYYIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!
Mortax
QUOTE (Plan B)
Shhhh, Mortax, it's okay. Just sit down and everything will be allright.... *pats Mortax on the head*

Hehehe. Sorry. There was a book series called Bunnicula when I was a kid and I thought it was funny. My players are gonna hate me. smile.gif
Mortax
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
BUNYIPS! BUNYIPS EVERYWHERE! BUUUUUUNNYYIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!

One of my old PCs that is retired now has one of those in his pond in his yard. smile.gif I use him as a major NPC now.

Decaf? grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Mortax)

Decaf? grinbig.gif

coffee's the devil devil.gif

We stole a t-bird on our Australia run (boy was shipping it back fun). Named it the Bunyip because we were so dissapointed that we never saw one
Mortax
LOL! that sounds like a fun story. rotfl.gif
Bastard
I was trying to think of ideas for a run Im doing....

"Whats in the box, Mr. Johnson? Whats in the box!..."

Anytime there is a crate, package, box, ect., runners want to open it. I wonder if I can attach springs where their legs should be...
fistandantilus4.0
for the short version:
Since T:AL is in shadowland forum form, our characters were able to read it o nthe way to our run. My character is really into paracritters, so the whole 'mysterios bunyip' thing really hooked him. So of course we ran into every OTHER damn critter in the out back EXCEPT drop bears and bunyips! So I got to wishful thinking or something , and pretty soon, every time something came up, I started to yell "Bunyip!" It probably would have been annoying if it we'd been in a different mood. But it just got funnier, like a good running gag. So we end up aboslutely destroying this middle-of-the-out back cult base ,mostly with a really big fire elemental, some judicious sniping, and taking control of the Steel Lynx's they had patrolling , killed a blood mage, and basically burned the place to the ground. Normally enough to make anyone cheer. But we were all glum because we were done and still hadn't seen any bunyips. But then we found our new t-bird (and the rigger trying to get to it, natch), hi jacked it, and christened it it the bunyip.

And yes, that's the short version.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Bastard)

"Whats in the box, Mr. Johnson? Whats in the box!..."

Anytime there is a crate, package, box, ect., runners want to open it. I wonder if I can attach springs where their legs should be...

easiest way to deter this... make the boxes empty or full of pointless crap

"flashlight, rubber ball, newspaper from 3 months ago, dog bone, hair net.. etc etc"

It gets so annoying, they'll stop bothering. Or give them a few dollars in each box, like two bucks.
nezumi
QUOTE (Mortax)
QUOTE (Plan B @ Jul 21 2005, 01:22 AM)

Hehehe. Sorry. There was a book series called Bunnicula when I was a kid and I thought it was funny.

Don't worry, Mortax. I read the series. It truly was both excellent, and grade A shadowrun material.

My turnip shaman will have a reason to be afraid now... >)
Foreigner
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Jun 14 2005, 01:36 PM)
*wince* ouch...death by vampiric koala.  That's gotta suck.

DocMortand:

Just curious--was that pun ("vampiric koala...suck.") intentional?

rotfl.gif

EDIT: Should've read the whole post. Jrayjoker beat me to it....

QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 14,2005,02:40 PM)

Nice pun.  rotate.gif

--Foreigner
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
for the short version:
Since T:AL is in shadowland forum form, our characters were able to read it o nthe way to our run. My character is really into paracritters, so the whole 'mysterios bunyip' thing really hooked him. So of course we ran into every OTHER damn critter in the out back EXCEPT drop bears and bunyips! So I got to wishful thinking or something , and pretty soon, every time something came up, I started to yell "Bunyip!" It probably would have been annoying if it we'd been in a different mood. But it just got funnier, like a good running gag. So we end up aboslutely destroying this middle-of-the-out back cult base ,mostly with a really big fire elemental, some judicious sniping, and taking control of the Steel Lynx's they had patrolling , killed a blood mage, and basically burned the place to the ground. Normally enough to make anyone cheer. But we were all glum because we were done and still hadn't seen any bunyips. But then we found our new t-bird (and the rigger trying to get to it, natch), hi jacked it, and christened it it the bunyip.

And yes, that's the short version.

Don't feel bad.
Nobody's seen a bunyip.
Birdy
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jul 21 2005, 01:52 AM)

"Whats in the box, Mr. Johnson?  Whats in the box!..."

Anytime there is a crate, package, box, ect., runners want to open it.  I wonder if I can attach springs where their legs should be...

"flashlight, rubber ball, newspaper from 3 months ago, dog bone, hair net.. etc etc"

It gets so annoying, they'll stop bothering. Or give them a few dollars in each box, like two bucks.

What about:

Old newspaper - unused condoms - empty can of peaches - handgrenade without pin in that can - another can of peaches -

They should get the hint biggrin.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Mortax)
A koalas could be in for a privet zoo (that’s what you call it when you give in to your daughter and get her a koalas) and get infected with HMHVV latter.

That's no ordinary rabbit! It's the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set your eyes on!
DocMortand
QUOTE (Foreigner)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Jun 14 2005, 01:36 PM)
*wince* ouch...death by vampiric koala.  That's gotta suck.

DocMortand:

Just curious--was that pun ("vampiric koala...suck.") intentional?

rotfl.gif

EDIT: Should've read the whole post. Jrayjoker beat me to it....

QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 14,2005,02:40 PM)

Nice pun.  rotate.gif

--Foreigner

hehe...gotta love it. Now just imagine a toothless drop bear trying to gum you to death....
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (DocMortand)
hehe...gotta love it. Now just imagine a toothless drop bear trying to gum you to death....

Well, do remember that Drop Bear teeth may be quite in demand on the telesma market...
Thomas
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
Don't feel bad.
Nobody's seen a bunyip.

At least, and lived to tell the tale... eek.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Jul 21 2005, 01:50 PM)
hehe...gotta love it.  Now just imagine a toothless drop bear trying to gum you to death....

Well, do remember that Drop Bear teeth may be quite in demand on the telesma market...

Like dragon's sperm? eek.gif

scnr and it's late and i'm drunnk
Mortax
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
QUOTE (Mortax @ Jul 21 2005, 06:03 AM)

That's no ordinary rabbit! It's the most foul, cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever set your eyes on!

hehe, nice to see someone got the second joke in there. smile.gif
Trax
Armaments, chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats.

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
Mortax
One, two.. five!
NO!!!!
Three!!
boom!
DocMortand
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate @ Jul 21 2005, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Jul 21 2005, 01:50 PM)
hehe...gotta love it.  Now just imagine a toothless drop bear trying to gum you to death....

Like dragon's sperm? eek.gif

And to tie it all together....

An illegal drop bear milking facility run by a dragon who uses drop bear sycophants to bear his "milk" to various arcane rituals...

What?
Grinder
If ever i GM SR while being on LSD i'll use this idea biggrin.gif
Trax
The third edition of Shadowrun renamed the generic grenade launcher from its two prior editions to the Ares Antioch Grenade Launcher. In the German 2nd-edition sourcebook on the German states, a comment on a location protected by the Westphalian Bishop's Guard quips that transgressors would be attacked with Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch. That comment is by a character using the handle Sir Galahad.
Foreigner
QUOTE (Trax @ Jul 25 2005, 10:19 AM)
The third edition of Shadowrun renamed the generic grenade launcher from its two prior editions to the Ares Antioch Grenade Launcher. In the German 2nd-edition sourcebook on the German states, a comment on a location protected by the Westphalian Bishop's Guard quips that transgressors would be attacked with Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch. That comment is by a character using the handle Sir Galahad.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think that the repeating grenade launcher used by Keanu Reaves in Constantine is an Ares Antioch?

I haven't seen the film, but my local video rental store has it; there's a poster for the film in their front window.

If I'm not mistaken, the barrel of the beastie has a pair of extensions at right angles to the bore. The net result is that the barrel looks like a crucifix.

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jul 25 2005, 12:15 PM)

That's no ordinary rabbit! It's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set your eyes on!

BookWyrm:

I'm not certain, but I think that that particular critter has been adapted to both AD&D and SR.

I don't have the stats for either handy, but I believe that they were known as "Vorpal Bunnies" and "Hell Rabbits" (or possibly "Hell Hares"), respectively.

wink.gif

--Foreigner
mmu1
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think that the repeating grenade launcher used by Keanu Reaves in Constantine is an Ares Antioch?

I haven't seen the film, but my local video rental store has it; there's a poster for the film in their front window.

If I'm not mistaken, the barrel of the beastie has a pair of extensions at right angles to the bore. The net result is that the barrel looks like a crucifix.

That's actually a shotgun, not a grenade launcher.
Foreigner
mmu1:

I stand corrected.

(Or I *would*, except that I'm currently sitting at a desk as I type this.)

smile.gif

--Foreigner
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 21 2005, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jul 21 2005, 01:52 AM)

"Whats in the box, Mr. Johnson?  Whats in the box!..."

Anytime there is a crate, package, box, ect., runners want to open it.  I wonder if I can attach springs where their legs should be...

What about:

Old newspaper - unused condoms - empty can of peaches - handgrenade without pin in that can - another can of peaches -

They should get the hint biggrin.gif

Monsters work well. Nothing says "you shouldn't have opened this crate" like a heavily cybered ill-tempered mutant juggernaut. A large combat drone with a rating 5 robot pilot and orders to kill whoever opens the crate also works well. Don't forget hundreds of hungry dropbears packed in like sardines.
Nikoli
But only after the party has been sprayed with essence of eucalyptus
Foreigner
hyzmarca, Nikoli:

Your most recent posts have me wondering what the SR equivalent of a Vorpal Blade might be.

nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
Trax
Wouldn't that be the Monosword? Monowire is nasty stuff.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Foreigner @ Jul 25 2005, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Trax @ Jul 25 2005, 10:19 AM)

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jul 25 2005, 12:15 PM)

That's no ordinary rabbit! It's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set your eyes on!

BookWyrm:

I'm not certain, but I think that that particular critter has been adapted to both AD&D and SR.

I don't have the stats for either handy, but I believe that they were known as "Vorpal Bunnies" and "Hell Rabbits" (or possibly "Hell Hares"), respectively.

wink.gif

--Foreigner

If the rabbit's been adapted to SR, where is it? I've not seen it (and I'll refrain from the obvious animal joke there).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Trax)
Wouldn't that be the Monosword? Monowire is nasty stuff.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The Monosword went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Medusa Drone?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

----------------

Nah, it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Since only Lewis Carol knows that the word Vorpal means, I'd say that it is a unique weapon focus. Perhaps it contains a Bound Free Spirit by that name, perhaps not. Whatever it is, we know that it has some special power against Jabberwockys.

Personally, I don't think one would be able to find a ready made Vorpal Sword anywhere, but one could probably find a formula for a Vorpl Sword scribbled in the margins of the original Alice in Wonderland manuscript.
Kagetenshi
You fool! The poem is the formula! Now the Enemy has the last key to retub*¥íb???l$’

NO CARRIER
Foreigner
This is not a response to a particular person; rather it is directed at anyone who might NOT know what a Vorpal blade/sword is.

As hyzmarca said, it took its name from the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.

IIRC, under AD&D rules, it was an enchanted sword, used primarily to guard doorways and such.

Using ten-sided percentile dice, the sword DECAPITATED on its first attack with any roll greater than 10.

In other words, a PC or NPC had a one-in-ten chance of survival once the trap was sprung.

I think my brother told me that one of his characters was felled by that particular weapon on at least one occasion.

--Foreigner
Mortax
Hmmm, the latest in corperate security? vegm.gif
Kremlin KOA
The SR equivalent is the "Daisy Cutter" mine
Aku
QUOTE (forneigner)
This is not a response to a particular person; rather it is directed at anyone who might NOT know what a Vorpal blade/sword is.

As hyzmarca said, it took its name from the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll.

IIRC, under AD&D rules, it was an enchanted sword, used primarily to guard doorways and such.

Using ten-sided percentile dice, the sword DECAPITATED on its first attack with any roll greater than 10.

In other words, a PC or NPC had a one-in-ten chance of survival once the trap was sprung.

I think my brother told me that one of his characters was felled by that particular weapon on at least one occasion.

--Foreigner

NOTE: realized after typing this he said AD&D

Note, under current rules (3E actually, not sure if the swords in 3.5, but i'm sure it is) the sword works as an insta kill, IFRC with 2 or 3 natural 20 criticals (meaning, if the said sword has an extended crit range, you still need the natural 20 for it to work)
BookWyrm
That's all and well, but where's the stats for the Killer Rabbit for SR?
Bastard
Don't forget hundreds of hungry dropbears packed in like sardines.

That was what I was getting at.
PBTHHHHT
something silly I saw from a friend's blog:
There's a reference to drop bears in there and the precaution to avoid the scourge. biggrin.gif

---------------------------------------------------------
The questions below about Australia are from potential visitors, some of whom are clearly not very bright. They were posted on an Australian Tourism Website and the answers are the actual responses by the website officials.

Q; Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (from the UK)
A; We import all plants fully grown and just sit around and watch them die.

Q; Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A; Depends on how much you've been drinking.

Q; I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad track? (Sweden)
A; Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q; Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
A; So, its true what they say about Swedes.

Q; Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane,Cairns,Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A; What did your last slave die of?

Q; Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A; A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe. Aus-tra-lia is the big island in the middle of the Pacific which does not... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night In Kings Cross. Come naked.

Q; Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A; Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q; Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A; Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q; Can you send me the Vienna Boy's Choir schedule? (USA)
A; Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir play every Tuesday night in Kings Cross, right after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A; You are a British politician, right?

Q; Are there any supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A; No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunters/gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q; Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum.(USA)
A; Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q; I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A; It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q; Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
A; NO, we DON'T stink.

Q; I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A; Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q; Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (ITALY)
A; Yes, Gay nightclubs.

Q; Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A; Only at Christmas.

Q; I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A; Yes, and you will still have to pay her by the hour.

Q; Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
A; Yes, but you will have to learn it first.
Nikoli
Now that's a tourism board I can get behind.
Kagetenshi
So true.

Though the Sydney/Perth bit was uncalled for. That's only half again as long as the Appalachian Trail, and much less hilly.

~J
lorthazar
QUOTE (Aku)
QUOTE (forneigner)

--Foreigner

NOTE: realized after typing this he said AD&D

Note, under current rules (3E actually, not sure if the swords in 3.5, but i'm sure it is) the sword works as an insta kill, IFRC with 2 or 3 natural 20 criticals (meaning, if the said sword has an extended crit range, you still need the natural 20 for it to work)

Actually the AD&D sowrd was the Vorpal Weapon +3 a strang sowrd where if you rolled a 17 or better on 1D20 you had a chance of cutting someones head off. The tougher the critter the higher the number you needed.

Your brother may have been refferring to a very specific door trap designed for a module.
Kagetenshi
Which was the weapon that severed Silver Cords, then?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012