Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Nikoli
Githyanki Sword (+2 or 3 of sharpness and could sever your connection to your body on the astral plane)
lorthazar
Githyanki Silversword special minor artifacts that were +5 Vorpal Two Handed Swords also note they could lop off a head on a 15 or better.
Foreigner
lorthazar:

You're probably right.

It was a long time ago (he was in college at the time, and he graduated in 1986), so I may have forgotten some details.

Although I do seem to remember something to the effect that the aforementioned Vorpal Blade was ensorceled to guard the door to a particular treasure room.

If my brother was using the character I think he was ("Gorum El-Hulko", a huge Human with 18-97 Strength--and, unfortunately, low Intelligence --whose job was primarily as a doorbreaker), then he would've been the first one through the door.

--Foreigner
Foreigner
Edit:

Deleted double post.
fistandantilus4.0
Githyanki knights had vorpal silver swords, usually +1-3, but the queen has +5. As I recall, in 2nd ed, a natural 20 was a beheading, and in first, for a +5, 16-20 naturallly rolled meant your head was gone.

PHHHBBBTTTT, that was awesome. We'll have to start a "Ask PHHHBBBTT ... about places" thread.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
AAAHHH! Threadjack.
Drop bears upon you all.
Jrayjoker
Thump.

Thump.......thump, thump, thump

Thump.

Rar!
Perhaps we should consider methods of drop bear protection.

The new Ares Deftech™ Drop Bear Repelling Umbrella! Made with a collapsing steel-plastic alloy, this device shields you from both rain and Rar! as you traverse the wild Australian Outback. Collapse it and it becomes the patented Ares Deftech™ Ward Stick, a potent stun baton able to shock most pesky Drop Bears into further complacency. May also be used horizontally as a shield, in case those aborigines think they have the right to arm bears.
PBTHHHHT
But the recommended Australian tourist board advice to ward off drop bears is to douse yourself with your urine... wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
But the recommended Australian tourist board advice to ward off drop bears is to douse yourself with your urine... wink.gif

Not your urine, human urine. I assume that metahuman urine won't work. That is why metahumans in Austraila should buy IPF brand sterialized human urine. Just look for the yellow container with Ian Pervis Freely's face on the label.
ShadowDragon8685
Don't take chances.

Pee on yourself, and have someone else pee on your Ares Deftec Umbrella. Remember, you never know when the Drop Bear will strike, so go prepared at all times, even in downtown Sydney.
PBTHHHHT
And don't forget to constantly have a container of urine as a ready supply since we all know that Australia is hot and the urine will evaporate quickly, especially in the summer heat. nyahnyah.gif
DocMortand
Actually, Pratchett recommends a bamboo reinforced wizard hat for repelling drop bears... The expression on the first drop bears face as it drops is priceless. smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
Mmmm.... drop bear shish kabobs... koalas on a stick! Wheee... Only problem with eating them, aren't they loaded with HMVWW(?) If so, I guess eating is not a good idea.
Nikoli
nah, use the flesh for appetizers at your Johnson's Son's Barmitzfah...
Grinder
Or serve if your ex-wife.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Nikoli)
nah, use the flesh for appetizers at your Johnson's Son's Barmitzfah...

Koalas are probably kosher. You would still have to roll a success on your kosher slaughtering active skill.
Nikoli
I'm more interested in the application of kosher regulations on HMHVV
BookWyrm
*sigh* frown.gif
fistandantilus4.0
so if a ghoul eats a vampire, or vice-versa.... does it become a vampiric ghoul.... or just full?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 27 2005, 10:52 PM)
so if a ghoul eats a vampire, or vice-versa.... does it become a vampiric ghoul.... or just full?

You can't catch HMHVV I by eating a vampire. You have to be eaten by a vampire to aquire the disease. So it would just be full.

What happens when a ghoul is reduced to 0 essence by a vampire is anyone's guess. I don't even want to think about a wendigo eating a ghoul.
Bastard
Does this human urine come in different degrees of effectiveness, like sunblock?

Like DBR-80?

Does it come in chemical knock offs as well, or synthetic blends?

Does it contain deet?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Bastard)
Does this human urine come in different degrees of effectiveness, like sunblock?

Like DBR-80?

Does it come in chemical knock offs as well, or synthetic blends?

Does it contain deet?

Synthetic urine has been around for quite some time. In fact, Urine was the first organic material ever produced artificially in a lab.

However, synthetic urine lacks the quality of naural urine. Natural urine should be used whenever possible in any ritual or magical formula that requires urine.
fistandantilus4.0
reminds me of the quote from "exotic enchanting materials" for dragon fluids -

"You want me to do what in that cup. biggrin.gif
Grinder
A classic. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
It's alive! ALIVE! spin.gif wobble.gif rotate.gif
Now, here's something I've been thinking about:
Supposedly, the vampires have a global conspiracy, correct? Why can't the other HMHVV critters be included, or have conspiracies of their own?

I mean, shoot, nobody suspects the drop bear...
Angelone
Best protection I've found against drop bears is not to leave the landrover, if you have too try to have an autogyro drone above your head at all times. The second version is a bit messy, but very effective.

OOC- Nice to get back in country and see this thread alive and well. Good job all.
Nikoli
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate @ Jul 28 2005, 07:35 PM)

Their chief weapon is surprise... surprise and fear... fear and surprise. Their two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency. Their three main weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Eucalyptus tree.... Their four ... no... Amongst their weapons... Amongst their weaponry... are such elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency... I'll have to post again...
Jrayjoker
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Angelone
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
Now, here's something I've been thinking about:
Supposedly, the vampires have a global conspiracy, correct? Why can't the other HMHVV critters be included, or have conspiracies of their own?

Am I the only one who read that and imagined a bunch of koalas in Spanish Inquisition garb dropping on some poor fool and shouting " Noone suspects the Drop Bears!"
Nikoli
[Jarring Post]

NOBODY expects a Drop Bear! Amongst their weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the eucalyptus tree, and nice red fur - Oh damn!
Foreigner
QUOTE (Angelone)
Am I the only one who read that and imagined a bunch of koalas in Spanish Inquisition garb dropping on some poor fool and shouting " Noone suspects the Drop Bears!"

Angelone:

Nope. smile.gif

I thought about posting something to that effect as well, but I thought it was too ridiculous even for THIS thread.

nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
Jrayjoker
Are you guys completely ignoring Nikoli's posts, or just not reading the thread?

I think it is pretty clear you guys don't take the drop bear conspiricy threat seriously. You are out of the DBSC (Drop Bear Slayer Club) for sure.
QUOTE (Angelone)
Best protection I've found against drop bears is not to leave the landrover, if you have too try to have an autogyro drone above your head at all times. The second version is a bit messy, but very effective.

OOC- Nice to get back in country and see this thread alive and well. Good job all.

Using an autogyro drone will not protect you against those of the worldwide drop bear conspiracy who see your death being worth more than their lives.
I would imagine that the impact of a good-sized drop bear into the rotors of the autogyro would most likely send it crashing down onto your head.

I can only imagine the expressions on the faces of the DocWagon personnel sent to pick up the corpse from such an accident...
Birdy
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Are you guys completely ignoring Nikoli's posts, or just not reading the thread?

I think it is pretty clear you guys don't take the drop bear conspiricy threat seriously. You are out of the DBSC (Drop Bear Slayer Club) for sure.

Na, we have just run out of stake-wielding female blond KiAds. As soon as the next batch is delivered, we get to Koala-Hunting again.

Meanwhile, we are hunting Grizzly and Kodial. The ones with a missile pack on the back.

Birdy
fistandantilus4.0
Remember that drink 'koala', form back inthe '80's? That's funding right there. Add that to your list Nikoli, well funded since the 1980's (well, meybe not well, heavne't seen those in a while). Makes me wonder what the secret ingredient was.
BookWyrm
*sigh* frown.gif
Nikoli
It's so sad to see so many gamers miss a Monty Python paraphrase...
frown.gif
Trax
Bring out the rack!
Grinder
QUOTE (Nikoli)
frown.gif

Not every gamer fulfills all cliches.
Angelone
I'm ashamed that I missed it. I got it after Jrayjoker pointed it out if that's in any way redeeming.

Thanks Gyro, for pointing out a flaw in my defenses. I'm working on impoving them by making a giant motorized hamsterball. Until then wish me luck.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
QUOTE (Angelone @ Jul 28 2005, 10:18 PM)

Using an autogyro drone will not protect you against those of the worldwide drop bear conspiracy who see your death being worth more than their lives.
I would imagine that the impact of a good-sized drop bear into the rotors of the autogyro would most likely send it crashing down onto your head.

I can only imagine the expressions on the faces of the DocWagon personnel sent to pick up the corpse from such an accident...

That puts to mind a drop bear missile launcher.

Not a Drop Bear's missile launcher, but a missile launcher that launches Drop Bears.

"Okay, aim a little higher...okay put some more eucalyptus powder in the breech....a little higher...aim for the head...FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

And with a mighty *poot* we have ballistic drop bears raining from the sky....
Grinder
Some circus-theme music playing in the back. Nice. smile.gif
Nikoli
Anyone else reminded of an episode of South Park?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Nikoli)
frown.gif

Oh I got the reference. But I didn't have anything else to add to it. I mean, yeah, it's funny and I got a laugh, but not all of us can really think of what else to say. nyahnyah.gif
Nikoli
You could have said "Nobody expects Drop Bears!" again, so I could finish the reference.
BookWyrm
*sigh* frown.gif

STILL waiting for those supposed Killer Rabbit SR stats location.....
Angelone
Think they were just joking around can't find it in any of my books, including Critters and Paranormal Animals of Europe.

Now concentrate on the threat that noone, not even I, suspects... THE DROPBEARS!
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Grinder)
Some circus-theme music playing in the back. Nice. smile.gif

Now, I like a good calliope as much as the next guy, but this is too much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012