Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Grinder
Last one. With millions of stupid-looking Koalas staring you to insanity.
Kiedo
Not to spoil all the funny things being said about the poor, poor drop bears, but their mythology is fascinating. It's my guess, this conclusion is also supported by the wiki entry, that the drop bear originated as a way to keep people from lingering under eucalyptus trees since they are prone to drop dead limbs randomly. It's interesting to point out that the drop bear is just about as deadly as a falling limb, in my games falling limbs take a 7S damage code and count as having a called shot to the highest point on the body, it doesn't stage the damage on bypasses the armour of the rest of the body. Once a Drop bear were to hit the ground a good swift kick would be all that was needed to silence the little bastards.

Who ever suggested it that drop bears should hunt in packs had a good idea. Most predetory animals hunt in packs so a five or six strong group of blood sucking teddy bears wouldn't be unreasonable.

I can just see it now:
"Hey is that the bounty bear, you know the one from the commercials?"
"Yeah it is, aw and he's got his friends with 'em."
scuttle scuttle
"OH MY GOD, Jeff are you alrigh-"
Angelone
@ Grinder Lol rotfl.gif "Those cold dead eyes" *Rocks back and forth*.
Grinder
Thanks biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
I don't have T:AL here so correct me if I am wrong, but the drop bears don't do essence drain they are just mean and prone to dropping, right?
Angelone
Right, never understood that part myself. Thinking Eucalyptus might be more than a tree, but that could be my paranoia.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Angelone)
Right, never understood that part myself. Thinking Eucalyptus might be more than a tree, but that could be my paranoia.

Did'nt you know? Eucalyptus trees are really just an Awakened fom of water chestnut!
Jrayjoker
With Essence!
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
With Essence!

Can you Essence drain from Awakened plants?
Jrayjoker
no
Krazy
they drop branches on you if you try.
QUOTE (Krazy)
they drop branches on you if you try.

Other than falling branches, what's to keep you from sucking the life out of some Awakened pine tree?
Krazy
well, pine tres are sticky, but poplar sap is downright toxic... awakened toxic trees, this could be fun
fistandantilus4.0
Is anyone else worried that the drop bears thread has made it to 3 pages?
mmu1
Our group just got attacked by Blood Kites tonight. I don't know if my GM has even read this thread, but I blame it anyway.

No injuries so far, but so damn annoying... And apparently, able to tell what a gun is.
Angelone
Were Drop Bears riding the Blood Kites?

How'd you know they knew what guns were? Did they use some? I can see it now a bunch of birds flying around shooting people.

EDIT- I realize they probably went for the guns, I was making a funny, and failing miserably.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jun 16 2005, 09:53 PM)

Are you kidding? I celebrate the fact that we have 66 posts here!

grinbig.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Angelone)

How'd you know they knew what guns were? Did they use some? I can see it now a bunch of birds flying around shooting people.

EDIT- I realize they probably went for the guns, I was making a funny, and failing miserably.

Am I the only one with "The Ride of the Valkeries" running through my head with that image?
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

Me too - hoped it would have been many more pages at this point. biggrin.gif
And who says there aren't corporations who have manipulated Drop Bears for use as security?

Equip some with a bit of cyber, perch them over your entrances, on the inside. People who they don't recognize, they drop on 'em.
Angelone
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Am I the only one with "The Ride of the Valkeries" running through my head with that image?

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif Just got an image of Drop Bears in those horned helmets weilding axes.

And who says there aren't corporations who have manipulated Drop Bears for use as security?

Equip some with a bit of cyber, perch them over your entrances, on the inside. People who they don't recognize, they drop on 'em.

Hope my GM doesn't read this. I could see this wrking so well it's scary.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Krazy)
well, pine tres are sticky, but poplar sap is downright toxic... awakened toxic trees, this could be fun

http://kevinandkell.com/2003/kk0406.html

This could make for quite the shadowrun. Who suspects an Awakened tree of theft?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Angelone @ Jun 16 2005, 10:25 PM)

I hope so

Gyro

they have, it's the same company that is using the Abrams Lobster for the main course at large banquets, and giving out cerebrus hounds to needy families with three kids, but only enough money for one dog
Mortax
LOL This thread is cracking me up. I love it.

Hmm, send the runners into MR corp execs apartment, and he has pet drop bears! bwahahaha!

Also, I think I just thought of something new and exciting to add to astral quests. Place of the Drop Bears. vegm.gif
BookWyrm
The only time I'd be worried about Drop Bears is if they started showing up with visible tattoos of an open-top skull on their bellies.....

(waits for someone to get the reference)
Angelone
Carebear tattoos would make them all the more fearsome. They wouldn't even need the Blood Kites they could drop off of rainbows. There would be no stopping them!
DocMortand
Actually I had my newest runner debate on whether releasing Drop Bears from the Arcology Mall Zoo would be a good distraction...unfortunately that pasky shutdown happened before he could find out the capabilities.

smile.gif There are Drop Bears somewhere in my Arcology tho...vegm.gif
Shrapnel
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
The only time I'd be worried about Drop Bears is if they started showing up with visible tattoos of an open-top skull on their bellies.....

Terror Bears?
Angelone
Just hope they don't find the gummybeary juice. grinbig.gif Ahh... having childhood flashbacks. Everybody now "Dashing and Daring, Couragous and Caring, Faithful and Friendly, with stories to share..."
Grinder
rotfl.gif

Oh those good old times...
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 18 2005, 11:45 PM)

Terror Bears?

Nah, it's from Something Positive, at least I think.
Supercilious
Drop Bear survival horror in Amazonia... Yes, yes that will do nicely.
Grinder
And dead drop bears will be risen to unlife by a master shedim. cool.gif
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Shrapnel @ Jun 18 2005, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 18 2005, 11:45 PM)

Terror Bears?

Nah, it's from Something Positive, at least I think.

I'm still thinking it's the Terror Bears from the TMNT RPG... Those guys were awesome!!!

Let's see... There was Pain Bear, Fear Bear, Doom Bear, and Nightmare Bear.

Great drawing of them on pg. 83 of the Revised Edition. Doom Bear is my favorite. I love the picture on his chest of the skull with the nuclear blast coming out of the top.

That would've been a great game, if I could ever get over my hatred of D20 systems...
BookWyrm
We have a winnah! Shrapnel gets 25 Geek points for getting it right on his first post, with an additional 10 for naming them. I'm still waiting for Palladium to update them & bring them into the new After The Bomb system. biggrin.gif

Sadly, Angelone loses 25 Geek Points for mentioning those wretched creatures that the Doom Bears are parody-ing. frown.gif

Eyeless gets 10 points for pointing out the Something Positive strip that I missed, but no more due to the wrong guess. cool.gif

Thank you for your participation. I now un-hijack this thread & return you to your previous discussion, already in progress. grinbig.gif

SpasticTeapot
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can incorporate Drop Bears into the Chinatown district of Seattle?
Aku
Well, not for "drop bears" spacifically, but could you modify them to be "drop pandas" and have them as ornaments on the roof of a building?
nezumi
I was going to say that pandas are more closely related to racoons than bears, but really, koala bears aren't bears either. Is there some sort of HMHVV infected version of racoons? Evil Bandits or something? They know how to pick maglocks, will break into your apartment at night and steal everything from your trash compactor?
Angelone
QUOTE (Supercilious)
Drop Bear survival horror in Amazonia... Yes, yes that will do nicely.

That's just evil.

Maybe, for the Chinatown thing you could say the Drop Bears are working with the Triads so they can dominate the underworld, along with their Blood Kite mounts.
Or the Triads could be shipping some in for a AA corp that wants to experiment with them on the QT.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
Or the Triads could be shipping some in for a AA corp that wants to experiment with them on the QT.

Yup...and either they're installing Wired 3 in them...

Or they're pulling an Ares and making them into drop bear insect hosts....

Now THAT'S evil.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 19 2005, 08:11 PM)
We have a winnah! Shrapnel gets 25 Geek points for getting it right on his first post, with an additional 10 for naming them. I'm still waiting for Palladium to update them & bring them into the new After The Bomb system. biggrin.gif

Sadly, Angelone loses 25 Geek Points for mentioning those wretched creatures that the Doom Bears are parody-ing.  frown.gif 

Eyeless gets 10 points for pointing out the Something Positive strip that I missed, but no more due to the wrong guess. cool.gif

Thank you for your participation. I now un-hijack this thread & return you to your previous discussion, already in progress. grinbig.gif

I don't think it is possible to hijack this thread any more then the creator did when she started it...
BookWyrm
Yeah, but I was un-hijacking my part. I had fun though. grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
Our group just got attacked by Blood Kites tonight. I don't know if my GM has even read this thread, but I blame it anyway.

No injuries so far, but so damn annoying... And apparently, able to tell what a gun is.

I had not, but now I have vegm.gif

~J
Req
QUOTE (Angelone)
Just hope they don't find the gummybeary juice. grinbig.gif Ahh... having childhood flashbacks. Everybody now "Dashing and Daring, Couragous and Caring, Faithful and Friendly, with stories to share..."

Haha. My a cappella vocal group does a great uptempo version of that song. nyahnyah.gif
Jrayjoker
Alright, deep resurrection here...Anyone here use these bastards in a game because of this thread?
Grinder
I really plan to - my current campaign is based in Metropole and i guess there's a chance some silly owner of a private zoo has some of these nice fluffy critters. Somehow they escape/ are freed and roam through the city, feeding on the poor souls there. cool.gif
PBTHHHHT
Interesting thing I learned watching animal planet. Those buggers (koalas) might look docile, but that's because they're usually loaded up with those leaves that they have to eat that makes them sluggish. Not sure if it's true, but the announcer says they can be rather vicious with their sharp claws. Or, could it be that the announcer is saying this so that tourists won't go and take a koala home? *insert ominous song*
wink.gif

That'll be a good one, a rich corp and his family take a bear home as a pet. Runners are hired to clean up the mess or something.
Jrayjoker
Nice hook. Daddy, can I have the cute bear with glowing red eyes? Sure thing pumpkin, I'll pull a few strings...
Edward
A koalas could be in for a privet zoo (that’s what you call it when you give in to your daughter and get her a koalas) and get infected with HMHVV latter.

It is true that koalas can be dangerous, they wont attack but if they decide they don’t want to be hugged any more… well you ever tried to force hugs from a cat, koalas have bigger claws, there used to climbing hardwoods with thin bark.

Another interesting thing about koalas is that they are one of the few creatures to stupid to die after a bush fire. They sustain injuries that would be fatal on any other animal but they just won’t stop living as if thay cant understand the consept.

They have to be this stupid because brains use a lot of energy and koalas are not totally immune to the poison that is there only food. There day consists of a short meal followed buy a long nap to purge the toxins from there body.

To be honest some of us are not convinced that they weren’t stupid before they decided to take on a diet consisting exclusively of poisonous eucalyptus leaves.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012