Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
fistandantilus4.0
uhhh.... yeah.... I don't like Romstein either....

translation? my google-fu is lazy tonight.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 6 2005, 11:43 PM)
uhhh.... yeah.... I don't like Romstein either....

translation? my google-fu is lazy tonight.

Translation? It is the first two verses of Das Lied der Deutschen (aka Deutschland Uber Alles) with all referances to Germany replaced with "Drop Dears."

Drop Bears, Drop Bears above all
Above everything in the world
When, always, for protection and defense
Brothers stand together.
From the Maas to the Memel
From the Etsch to the Belt,
Drop Bears, Drop Bears above all
Above all in the world.

Drop Bear women, Drop Bear fidelity,
Drop Bear wine and Drop Bear song,
Shall retain, throughout the world,
Their old respected fame,
To inspire us to noble deeds
For the length of our lives.
Drop Bear women, Drop Bear fidelity,
Drop Bear wine and Drop Bear song.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from http://ingeb.org/Lieder/deutschl.html
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
In the dragon lance novels from whcih 'Fistandantilus' originated, Ishtar was a great city, dedicated to the gods. If you'd like, I could change it to "bottom of the Blood Sea" or "Raistlin", since that would be more accurate really.

Funny, I thought that was Istar. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Dragonlance: Tales II - by the TSR editors
1 1992 Reign of Ishtar
2 1992 Cataclysm
3 1992 War of the lance

from here

And now, it's 6(,000) feet under, after getting tagged by a 'mountain'. Apparently even the gods believe in Thor shots for the unruely. They just have bigger "shot"

Honestly, it's been so long since I've read anything Dragonlance, I wasn't sure myself. But I'll let my reference speak for it's self.

Don't listen to Fortune. He's in it with the fraggles and the Oompa Loompas. Next thing ya' know he'll be going after Jray and supporting kage The Usurper.

hyzmarca: you worry me, but your cause is just. Carry on.
hyzmarca
I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the koalas. We left the camp after we had inoculated the koalas for Polio, and this old muppet came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little furry arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were drop bears... trained cadres. These drop bears who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had koalas , who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those drop bears our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have drop bears who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

Let us observe a moment of silence for Marlon Brando, may the drop bears be with him.

(I do have to remember that quote for the next Horrors tread)
fistandantilus4.0

I move to raise hyzmarca to the rank of elder

notworthy.gif
Grinder
Luckily you chose only the first to verses of our national anthem. Nice job!
Does that mean that german is the language of Drop Bears?
fistandantilus4.0
really leaving off the national anthem at women, wine, and song would have been good. I see no reason to continue when you've already hit all the high points.
Oracle
I do not think, that we should limit ourselves to the land between Maas, Memel, Etsch and Belt... o_O
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Oracle)
I do not think, that we should limit ourselves to the land between Maas, Memel, Etsch and Belt... o_O

Of course not, that is just the Drop Bear's ancestral homeland. It has a special place in the Holy Empire. Everyone thinks that they are safe from Drop Bears as long as they stay out of Australia. No one suspects that Drop Bears are really German.

fistandantilus4.0
no I'm picturing them hanging out in lederhosen and drinking from a stein. Thanks, hafta find a way to get that image out of my head now.
Oracle
The people you describe are not Germans. They are BAVARIANS. Bavarians are a...very special and unique...kind...of Germans. They don't even speak german. Did anyone realise the familiarity between the words "Bavarian" and "barbarian"? No? Well, I did... wink.gif
Grinder
no I'm picturing them hanging out in lederhosen and drinking from a stein. Thanks, hafta find a way to get that image out of my head now.

Don't call me "Bavarian" again or i'll unleash bavarian Drop Bears on you!
fistandantilus4.0
wow... little sensitive there Grinder?

Don't blame me, I'm just an ignorant American.

(probably catch some flak for that too sarcastic.gif )
Fortune
Honestly, it's been so long since I've read anything Dragonlance, I wasn't sure myself. But I'll let my reference speak for it's self.

Don't listen to Fortune. He's in it with the fraggles and the Oompa Loompas. Next thing ya' know he'll be going after Jray and supporting kage The Usurper.

I think you might want to check your source, because the publishers and authors seem to think it is Istar. wink.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
well, you're Wizards.com trumps my 'random google-found site'. I'll change my spelling. And that , boys and girls, is why the IE/Fraggle/OompaLoompa will win in the end, if we don't check out spelling. I'll see if I can find my dead tree reference at home and get back to you Fortune.

Until then - En Garde!
Fortune
No prob. I really enjoyed the Dragonlance books, and think Raistlin/Fistandantilus is a great character. Not as good as Dalamar mind you, but you can't have everything. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Thank you! Finally someone that appreciates Dalamar! Now if you share an equal loathing for Tanis, and know what RabbitSlayer is, we can be friends!
Grinder
wow... little sensitive there Grinder?

Don't blame me, I'm just an ignorant American.

(probably catch some flak for that too sarcastic.gif )

Every non-bavarian german is sensitive in that point. It's like calling a Dixie "Yankee" (damn, play too much Deadlands at the moment).

Ignorant amricans... yeah, we're used to them.

wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
wow, you actually call people 'yankee'? I'd had an aussie (hehe, Fortune) call me a yank once, but I thought he was being sarcastic. go fig.

anyways, I can understand not wanting to be identified as one of the cracked out hill people. just as long as you don't run around in leathers, we're all good.

Wondering how many ethnic/nationalist slang/slur terms we can come up with now

still think that mental image of the drop bear with the stein is great though.

new meaning to Drop-dead-drunk wobble.gif
Grinder
While playing Deadlands we call people Yankees, not in real life. smile.gif

A Bavarian Drop Bear would be something special, i agree. But he would probably be an outsider in the Drop Bear communit/ society.
Nikoli
But imagine the eucalyptus laced choccolate treats he'd have.
Grinder
Nah, bavarians are not into chcoloate (that's Switzerland), but into stuff like "Weisswurst" and "Leberkäse", also drinking beer out of 1-liter-glasses (called "Maß").
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Oracle)

You're measuring the wrong way round.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (Grinder)
Nah, bavarians are not into chcoloate (that's Switzerland), but into stuff like "Weisswurst" and "Leberkäse", also drinking beer out of 1-liter-glasses (called "Maß").

What do you call a sausage made out of a foolish human who loitters too long under your tree?
Grinder
Blutwurst - blood sausage biggrin.gif
Aku
22 more posts...
Nikoli
So, which company of Drop Bears have managed to get there hands ont he Spear of Longinus?
Grinder
I only know a crappy Metalband with name. *shudder*

Drop Bears? Had their been Drop Bears in ancient Israel?
blakkie
Silly boy, the Spear is buried in a shallow storage pit in northern Mexico wrapped in a Nazi flag.
Nikoli
ah
Fortune
wow, you actually call people 'yankee'? I'd had an aussie (hehe, Fortune) call me a yank once, but I thought he was being sarcastic. go fig.

Aussies use the word 'Yanks' all the time. Hell, I get called a yank at least once a day because of my (Canadian) accent.

Thank you! Finally someone that appreciates Dalamar!  Now if you share an equal loathing for Tanis, and know what RabbitSlayer is, we can be friends!

I know what Rabbitslayer is alright. Tanis though, albeit somewhat whiny and pussy-whipped, isn't all that bad. Tika is great though, and was one of my favorite characters even before I got the novels (just from the first module).
PlainWhiteSocks
The Drop Bear temple building is now complete. Thanks go to those who help pick me up off the floor and fed me aspirin. Now all we need is that pesky little Spear of Longinus and we’ll be able to take over the world, Mars, and Istar. Maybe we could time travel a few Elite Commando Drop Bears to ancient Isreal. My company of Drunken Ninja Drop Bear Space Marine Thor Shots are ready to answer the call of Thump.

And thanks for the promotion to Elder. I only ask to serve our leader Jray in the war against Kagetenshi and the Fraggled Oompa Loompas. (Besides Jray has home brew)

Grinder
Your plans in all honor, but the fact ancient Israel lacks bigger woods makes it hard to convince our glorious Time Travel Ninja Drop Bears to go back in time and steal the spear.

But we could send them against K and his evil heretic minions, so our troops will get some training.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (PlainWhiteSocks)
I only ask to serve our leader Jray in the war against Kagetenshi and the Fraggled Oompa Loompas. (Besides Jray has home brew)

Elder PlainWhiteSocks, your loyalty is greatly appreciated, and should be rewarded.
Aku
I really hope this "temple" fo yours has plenty of white rooms with no windows and lots of padding...
blakkie
QUOTE (Aku)
I really hope this "temple" fo yours has plenty of white rooms with no windows and lots of padding...

I don't remember giving him permission to set up his temple at my place?
hyzmarca
We could try to steal the Holy Spear from the Hofsburg Museum in Austria or we could steal the one in Armenia but I think we'll get better results by putting giant rocket engines on the moon and nudging it toward Earth.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 7 2005, 09:37 PM)

Aussies use the word 'Yanks' all the time. Hell, I get called a yank at least once a day because of my (Canadian) accent.

Thank you! Finally someone that appreciates Dalamar!  Now if you share an equal loathing for Tanis, and know what RabbitSlayer is, we can be friends!

I know what Rabbitslayer is alright. Tanis though, albeit somewhat whiny and pussy-whipped, isn't all that bad. Tika is great though, and was one of my favorite characters even before I got the novels (just from the first module).

Sorry, but Tanis always sorta reminded me of Luke Skywalker from the 1st (4th) Star Wars movie. Just whined so damn much. There were some redeeming characteristics, but those mostly went away in my mind after Tanis: The Shadow years

BTW
QUOTE (Fizban-Dragons of Spring Dawning pg 371)
"the KingPriest of Istar was a good man...

Profile amended. Once again, I should know better than to argue with an immortal elf.

Hyzmara - that's the old way of doing things. Now we jsut get together a really big ritual circle and have them cast Move Moon From Orbit. Better do it quick though, because once 2070 comes around, your massive ritual circle can only have 7 people in it. Like inflation, but backwards.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
Hyzmara - that's the old way of doing things. Now we jsut get together a really big ritual circle and have them cast Move Moon From Orbit. Better do it quick though, because once 2070 comes around, your massive ritual circle can only have 7 people in it. Like inflation, but backwards.

Great. That'll give me some time to dig up D Compose and get him to make an army of giant zombie drop bears for us.
Ophis
nah just convince the moon it's a drop bear and it will do what comes naturally. Just have some fast transport out of the area.
fistandantilus4.0
'the area'... what .. Earth?
Ophis
hey I never claimed it was a good plan.
fistandantilus4.0
you and hyzmarca should never run together. biggrin.gif

There'd be nothing left.
Anywhere.
Grinder
You mean besides smoking ruins and Drops Bears?
hyzmarca
Exactly. We build a nice little base on Mars and then send the mood toward the Earth. We use Undead Zombie Ninja Drop Bears (painted red, of course) to control the Martian surface and wait for the Earth to cool. Then, we return return with our Ninja Zombie Drop Bear army.

Nothing will be left alive on Earth's surface so it'll be easy to conquer. We then use magic to recreate life in our own images and do the same on Mars. These are the first steps in creating the Galactic Drop Bear Empire.

Yeah, an impact with the moon wouldn't leave smoking ruins. It would turn the surface into an ocean of molten rock and metal. and probably cause the two semi-liquid planetoids to merge into a single body before potentially spitting out a new moon.
Ophis
I like that plan, It show excellent long term thinking.

Wouldn't green drop bear zombies be more convincing on mars? Or are we going for stealth?
nezumi
Two problems with the plan, hyzamarkca.

1) No more people to eat
2) No beer

Also, I think Jray would lose his support without Chinese food, and our organization would crumble. Unfortunately, we must keep a certain number of people alive for our evil plans of conquering all people to be successful.
Grinder
3) Spreading fear as Evil Drop Bear Overlord & High Priests isn't satisfying when there are no people left to terrorize.
Ophis
YEY!!!!

THis post is now most replies ever. Rejoice my brothers!!!

And prepare for the mars mission. Remember to bring beer, chinesse and some normals to terrorise in our bearave new world spin.gif wobble.gif rotate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012