Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 24 2005, 05:09 PM)
It is kind of obvious when they give suggestions such as "don't be afraid to use your tongue".

Ewwwwwwww! Now was that the drop bear speaking, or the dragon?
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Perhaps it was both...
hyzmarca
Lofwyr, of course. Drop Bears can't talk.

Remember, it takes a team of at least 4 runners with tactical computers and the correct SUT specilization to properly fellate an adult dragon. More are required if the dragon is Great or if the personel lack the proper training.
Grinder
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Drop Bears can't talk.

Yeah, sure.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Remember, it takes a team of, at least 4 runners with tactical computers and the correct SUT specilization to properly fellate an adult dragon. More are required if the dragon is Great or if the personel lack the proper training.

If my sig still had room left, I would so sig that.
fistandantilus4.0
maybe from now on, every team that goes after a dragon should include drop bears clinging to rotodrones. death from above. Hell, while you're at it, might as well load them in to a Great Dragon launcher. vicious buggers
Foreigner
fistandantilus3.0:

Why do I have a sudden mental image of guards in the Renraku Arcology launching drop bears over the walls/through the windows with a ballista or a catapult?

nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif rotfl.gif

--Foreigner
fistandantilus4.0
I was actually thinking something similar strangely.
I'm running a group the the arcology (still, 'cause you bastards keep missing games!) and was thinking of 'dropping' (hehe, *laughs at own pun*) in some Drop Bears.

A little Deus experimentation. "Let us see how they deal with this! Release the infected Care Bears Pax"

And good times were had by me.

I dunno, ya think drop bears would take away from or add to the feelings of desperation and horror of an arcology run?

"Crap! Banded! CRAP! DROP BEARS!"
Kagetenshi
When Drop Bears fight Juggernauts, everybody wins.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
wonder what happens if a juggernaut gets infected with HMHVV?
Grinder
Something awful will be the result. Mean, dirty, vicious.... like a Drop Bear!
fistandantilus4.0
but...bigger..... and with less hair.... I hope
Kagetenshi
Imagine a tribe of Drop Bears riding into town on Juggernauts.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
actually I was thinking of a wendigo with a variant of control pack and his hungry/loyal drop bear army. Imagine Drop Bear as a totem
Tal
"My ass isn't fat! It's a sign of my totem!"
psykotisk_overlegen
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
wonder what happens if a juggernaut gets infected with HMHVV?

I'm afraid they might start dropping down from overhanging branches. If they can find any in the arcology that is.
DocMortand
Remember there is a zoo in the first floor of the arcology...and paraanimal labs on the 250s. smile.gif
Lady Door
SHHH!! My group is still in the Arcology.. and I swear by all that is holy, if I come across a group of Drop Bears mounted on Medusa.. I am blaming all of you!
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Plan B)
SHHH!! My group is still in the Arcology.. and I swear by all that is holy, if I come across a group of Drop Bears mounted on Medusa.. I am blaming all of you!

Hmmm... that can be interpreted in different ways depending if you mind is in the gutter or not. nyahnyah.gif

Just like the conversation concerning getting some samples from a dragon...
Aku
yes, yes it can, something akin to poor fido at a young age, unsure of what these sensations are, or why he's doing it, vs. a hunk of unloving metal...
fistandantilus4.0
New type of drone that deploys zoo animals. Drop Bear launcher strikes again!
Grinder
Don't want to post too much Drop Bear ideas in other threads, but: If SF includes Drop Bears... oh that would be great biggrin.gif

The true reason for the Crash 2.0 revealed!
DocMortand
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
New type of drone that deploys zoo animals. Drop Bear launcher strikes again!

Thank you, thank you very much. smile.gif
I do believe that this is a cry from the greater Shadowrun community for more Drop Bears in canon Shadowrun.
DocMortand
Darn right! I mean, they don't have raccoon shamans in SR4 any more...so we need our drop bears!
Toshiaki
I got this one*! smokin.gif

Shadowrun 3rd Edition

Drop Bear Totem
+2 Dice for Spirits of the Fall
+2 Dice for Illusion Spells
Willpower(6) Test to pass up Eucalyptus Leaves sautèd in blood.

Spirits of the Fall (No, not the season)
B: F + 2, Q: (F + 1) x 2, S: F + 1, C: F, I: F, W: F, E: F(A), R: F
INIT: F + 10 + 1D6
Attacks: (F + 2)S
Powers: Accident, Concealment, Guard, Materialization, Movement, Search

Shadowrun 4th Edition`

Drop Bear Totem
+2 to for Spirits of the Fall
+2 to Body Tests to be Heavy™
Willpower Threshold 3 Test to pass up Eucalyptus Leaves sauted in blood.

Spirits of the Fall
B: F+1, A: F, R: F, S: F+1, C: F, I: F, L: F, W: F, EDG: F, ESS: F, M: F, INIT: Fx2 IP2
Attacks: Drop DV 6P, AP 0; Bite/Claw DV 4P, AP 0
Powers: Accident, Concealment, Guard, Materialization, Movement, Search

*See I even dual statted it for more Drop Bear Goodness!
`Anybody that actually has the SR4 rules is welcome to correct this.
Grinder
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Darn right! I mean, they don't have raccoon shamans in SR4 any more.

eek.gif

Why? Why? Whyyyyyy? indifferent.gif
fistandantilus4.0
That's just wrong.

In the spirit of boycott, or opposition.... err.... ornerieness I guess, my first 4th ed character WILL BE a drop bear shaman, in protest of dropping Raccoon!

(Of course, my one and only raccon shaman did die on a rating 2 Astral quest thank you very much Fygg Nuuton. Yes, that really happened, it wasn't jsut a 'witty' sig).
Grinder
That's the right spirit! biggrin.gif
Toshiaki
In celebration (or mourning, depends on the person) of Shadowrun 4 we ought to petition for a Drop Bear emoticon. :drop:

EDIT: Wait, Rating 2 Astral Quest? You poor, poor thing. Were you already injured, or was it just really bad rolling?
fistandantilus4.0
really, really bad rolling.

Shaman, managed to have to go to ALL of the planes available for the quest, so I think like 8 stops totals. You'll have to ask Fygg Nuuton, becuase it was over IRC, and he was running the dice roller program, but it just kept picking away, got me to a mod, then I got trashed in the place of battle. I was just trying to learn a spell a little easier! frown.gif So yeah, that's a lesson learned. That lesson: orks are bad luck for me.

I have a friend that dies everytime he plays an ork. Guess it's contagious
Grinder
Maybe he's a Spike Baby and can't play an ork.
fistandantilus4.0
It's sad, it's really an issue. He's gone through 5-6 orks, died on the first run EVERY time. He's got other characters that have done fine - to- great, but ... well, you know dead.gif
Grinder
He doesn't play his orks like stupid thugs with a deathwish i hope?
fistandantilus4.0
nope. He's really good about varying characters style and personality. One of the few people I know where no two characters are the same. Very distinct differences. Has played a few reckless types, most notable being a street mage human called Wise guy (and he is, just no 'family' relations). HE hasn't died! Just the orks! (sad to say, I've killed most of 'em)
Oracle
Possibly he didn't meet some Drop Bears in the place of battle, did he? That would of course explain it, I guess...
Grinder
Fear the wrath of the Drop Bears!

I had a player at my ED-campaign who lost four characters in a row. Every character at the first evening - and it wasn't his fault, it was just bad luck, plain and simple.
fistandantilus4.0
it was a big frickin' cat actually. I'd have much preferred a drop bear. At least then it would seem justified (or at least cooler)
Grinder
If killed then by a Drop Bear. That's a honorable death. Or a ridicoulous one.
Ryu
Fistandantillus, you complain about them dropping Racoon? Ain´t that the dropping of bears this movement demands, altough NA-style?
Toshiaki
Maybe Racoon isn't gone, he just got bit by Drop Bear and is off in his den turning into Drop Racoon. Sure, they can't give your runners HMHVV, but maybe they can spread it to other animals/totems.

So, now the question is "does a Drop Sloth drop fast or slow?"
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ryu)
Fistandantillus, you complain about them dropping Racoon? Ain´t that the dropping of bears this movement demands, altough NA-style?

Raccoon has always had a special place in my heart. A certain warmness that always leaves me feeling like commiting petty larceny that won't quite go away, and leaves you with that nice afterglow. A mischevious little nutter, always into what he shouldn't be, and really quite foul mouthed when put into a bad position. I don't really see the regal Drop Bear taking Raccoon's place in my heart of hearts.

As you can see, the problem here is much more deeply rooted than just "f*ck, they took out raccoon." I don't think a rebound totem is really the answer.

I'll still be making my drop carebear shaman though
Ryu
Well, street magic will be our friend, I suppose.

On the racoon thingy: Before "Who hunts the hunter", most totems where not interesting enough for me. That one really opened my eyes. So yeah, racoon IS cool.
Sketchy
Who is to say that there are no Koala shifters?

I would imagine that once they are infected with HMHVV(Humvee) they would become dropbear shifters. Imagine walking into a back alley and having a grown man falling on your head from above...

*edit* Pesky acronyms
QUOTE (Sketchy)
Who is to say that there are no Koala shifters?

I would imagine that once they are infected with HMMVV(Humvee) they would become dropbear shifters. Imagine walking into a back alley and having a grown man falling on your head from above...

Ha-HA!
*That's* classic. grinbig.gif
Werewolf-hunting with a twist...
evil1i
QUOTE (Angelone)
Perhaps you could train them in the ways of the Adept, path of the Warrior or Silent Way. "WTF! Did a Koala just distance strike Johnny's adams apple out the back of his throat? AAARRGGHHH" As another throws a Eucalyptis leaf through his head.

Ahh so that explains the sitting around in trees with vacant expressions on their faces too - either they are able to go on astral quest via the halucinogenic effects of the Eucalyptus - or they are centering with meditation to avoid the penalties on the initial drop (partial cover and distance modifiers).

Surprisingly Koalas can swim rather well so I think this points to them actually being a perfect recruit for Special Forces Commando Death Squads. They are great for Air and Sea operations - maybe the SAS already have secret Dropbear teams in training or out on operation (hence the general silence and "no comment" answers!).
PBTHHHHT
We already parachute bears into hostile regions...

Parachuting Teddy Bears in Iraqi

Other names for them are para-bears and “teddy-troopers”.

But remember, there is nothing to laugh at when a drop bear parachutes onto your head... eek.gif
Lady Door
But there is something to laugh at when they parachute onto the person standing next to you. (It's all about perspective... )
fistandantilus4.0
That's just asking for it. Next time in our game, when a para-drop-bear lands on your head, and you're buried in it's chute and it;s claws, and Zraith is too busy laughing at you to help, remember , it's all karma. nyahnyah.gif
Lady Door
I'm sorry. Zraith is apparently on a Caribbean vacation.. so there's nothing I have to worry about. So there.. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012