Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
fistandantilus4.0
I think that we need a listing of ranks. How many elders do we have by now anyways? And I think we can stop considering Jray deposed. Kage hasn't showed his heretic face around here in a while . chicken *snicker*. I declare the coup succesful!

so..... no replaced zoo signs yet?

BTW, in my game , I'm going to meet Rhonabwy soon. Bringing a drop bear as a gift. Do you think HMHVV makes them spicy?
Lindt
I can officially, and I mean this, consider all of you complete and total lunies. Here is your gold plated dikoted ally spirit manafested as an Ares Viper silvergun. Plus the collectable plate, mounting rack, and underoos.
fistandantilus4.0
score!
Oracle
You are going to FEED a Drop Bear to a filthy lizard???
fistandantilus4.0
maybe..... depends on if he wants to eat it. But he collects para's , just like my character (but bigger scale hehe). So I doubt it. I was just curios about the spicy really. You know, 'case I ever become a ghoul or something infected.
Oracle
You are a para collector? Well, then why don't you just add Rhonabwy to your collection? That would be something to brag with. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
'cause he's bigger than my house is. And his magic rating is bigger than mine too. And so are other things.... like his nose.
Oracle
Excuses! I think you are lacking true dedication to the cause of paracritter-collecting! wink.gif Just imagine how everyone would envy your collection of great dragons...

Possibly you could even beat the greatest dragon collector of all times: Verjigorm.
Jrayjoker
YAY! I am no longer deposed! HMHVV spiked beers for all!
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
YAY! I am no longer deposed! HMHVV spiked beers for all!

For now... you are still under watch by the Drop Bear Internal Security Bureau. Lest ye deviate from the path of drop bear righteousness. We have several drop bear inquisitorial squads on standby merely waiting the word to act from the watcher operatives. And no, ye are not the only one under surveillance. nyahnyah.gif
nezumi
I do think the sacrafice of a brave and noble drop bear warrior would be acceptable, if we thought it possible of creating the greatest weapon of all: a drop dragon.
Jrayjoker
Nothing is safe when the bureaucracy gets it hands on it. sarcastic.gif
PlainWhiteSocks
hip-hip-hurrah for HMHVV spiked beers.

I wonder if any outback bushmen could tell us if Drop Bears are spicy or does the HMHVV in their veins make them a little chewy?
Grinder
With enough ketchup, every animal tastes delicious.
fistandantilus4.0
Oracle: First off, my collection so far includes:
4 hellhounds
2 cereburus hounds
2 cockatirce
1 Eastern Gargoyle (soon to be 4 once I liberate some from the "zoo")
3 Pheonix
1 free spirit (sorta)
4 imps (improsoned in expendable foci trapped in a ward. suckers)
and a sasqautch lady that thinks I'm cute. although she's not really in the 'collection'

no animals from Oz yet, but to make up for it, we named out GMC Banshee the Bunyip, and our recently acquired Panzer the Drop Panzer.

Oh yeah, and Oracle, I think your dedication thus far is at least enough for the rank of Neophyte. That's your first step on the way to Zealot! keep up the good work!
fistandantilus4.0
Current Elders (as best I can tell): Plain White Socks
Hyzmarca

Pending approval upon arrival of photographic evidence of updating 'koala' exhibit
Neophyte Oracle

For some reason I thought Nezumi was nominated as well, but could'nt find it.

And of course, there's out Illustrios (meaning shiny) leader Jray Joker.

I move for Grinder's dedication to warrant a nomination to Elder as well.

And three cheers for ousting the despot!

Hip - Hip - Drop Beer!
x3 (too lazy to type)

Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I move for Grinder's dedication to warrant a nomination to Elder as well.

Thanks a lot.

Our one and only Zealot should be Gyro, as he started this thread - and with that the Drop Bear Conspiracy.

It's early and i'm tired...
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, but Gyro hasn't posted since, except once or twice. Perhaps a unique title , like 'the Provider" for providing a beginning. Or maybe just 'The Gyro', being a rank unto himself.
Oracle
*g* The GM of my new SR4 group just allowed me to play a Drop Bear Shaman. ^^
fistandantilus4.0
I'll get my stats posted for mine tomorrow. Ideas for DropBear totem?

Shamanic: regular elemental spirits and Spirits of Beast for summoning

Benefits: +1 illusion spells. +1 to attack from higher ground

Disadvantage: Must attack from suprise. -2 to magic tests in head on combat.
fistandantilus4.0
interesting, if a bit unfulfilling
Grinder
yeah, but Gyro hasn't posted since, except once or twice. Perhaps a unique title , like 'the Provider" for providing a beginning. Or maybe just 'The Gyro', being a rank unto himself.

True prophets don't speak often. But when they do, the world changes. cool.gif
Oracle
True prophets are dead. At least most of them.
Grinder
You wish biggrin.gif

If you do your stunt at the weekend, we should grant a special Drop Bear squad, maybe someone can come up with a good name?
So you won't be only Elder, but also "Master Of Desaster" or sth.

Hope that makes sense (at least a little?)...
nezumi
For some reason I thought Nezumi was nominated as well, but could'nt find it.

(Also pending photographic evidence. We need to make a reconn run in DeeCee first, though. This may be a tough job, and our decker is currently out of commission.)
nezumi
Friends, I bring bad news! Both the National Zoo and the Maryland Zoo at Baltimore lack exhibits of both Drop Bears AND their more mundane cousins, koalas!!

This may be more difficult than I imagined. I may have to go out of state.
Oracle
The reason is the very expensive diet. Eukalptus isn't native to our climates. My problem could be a different one: It is possible that the bears aren't in their normal area but indoors - where they can't be seen. But I'll check that up on sunday. I never give up. Not in missions of such importance.
DocMortand
Let us pontificate on the moral superiority of defenstration. One of the favorite ways for drop bears to get to their victims without being seen is to live in the turrets of castles, and when their spotter sees a victim (I.E. tourists are favorite, Igor-types next) going near the tower the launcher tosses the drop bear out the window to land on the victim with surprise intact! The more gothic a castle, the more places for drop bears to hide - which is why Europe will be infested with them more readily than other places.

A variant of this is, of course, the skyscraper defensetrator. A long plummet results in a more gooey landing - favorite for older drop bears who need to gum their food. These are common in all major cities, but especially in cities with extremely tall buildings, such as New York, Tokyo and Toronto.

Who knows what the drop bear variant in amazonia is, however...the amount of hiding places in THAT forest is unbelievable.

Why did I just read the whole strip again? My brain hurts.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (DocMortand)
I.E. tourists are favorite.

The only IE's wandering around I can think of are Aithne and Harlequin. I see that ending badly for the drop bears sadly. In the case of Harlequin, because he'd probably capture the drop bear, paint it's face, make it some twisted parody of a pet, and teach it to play rythm guitar for him so that he can jam out to Pink Floyd.

In the case of Aithne, the great innate magic of the drop bear would trigger the ritual of thorns in Aithne, effectively making it as if the Drop Bear commando landed in a briar patch. Since this is no Brer Rabbit here, I see that ending badly.

I have this great mental image of a drop bear in NY sucking up the remains of a tourist through a slurpy straw, the younger generation still high above nodding in appreciation of the wisdom of their elder.

Doc: Take it in small doses. You can O.D. on Drop Bear goodness. Just look at Grinder. nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
Doc: Take it in small doses. You can O.D. on Drop Bear goodness. Just look at Grinder. nyahnyah.gif

The true dedicated are always viewed with suspicion and a lack of understanding. wink.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Oct 28 2005, 06:21 PM)
I.E. tourists are favorite.

The only IE's wandering around I can think of

rotfl.gif
Oracle
Brothers, I will now start my dangerous mission.
tisoz
really.... camoflouge body condoms.. that's gotta be a line of somethin'

BTW, for your interest, in no particular order ('cept Gyro #1, mmu1 #20) first 20 posters on the Drop Bear thread-
krazy
gyro
jray
spastic
angelone
grinder
kiedo
docmortand
reg
littlesean
reaver
enigma
planB
skeeve
doc funk
AH
bigity
nikoli
mmu1
and me

good job kids

To follow up, here are the posters numbered by first appearance:
1 Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate, 2 Bigity, 3 Jrayjoker, 4 Nikoli, 5 DocMortand, 6 Grinder, 7 Angelone, 8 Ancient History, 9 SpasticTeapot, 10 Doctor Funkenstein, 11 SkeevePlowse, 12 Plan B, 13 Enigma, 14 Reaver, 15 littlesean, 16 Req, 17 Krazy, 18 Kiedo, 19 fistandantilus 3.0, 20 mmu1, 21 Mortax, 22 BookWyrm, 23 Shrapnel, 24 Eyeless Blond, 25 Supercilious, 26 Aku, 27 nezumi, 28 Kagetenshi, 29 PBTHHHHT, 30 Edward, 31 Bastard, 32 Foreigner, 33 Birdy, 34 Thomas, 35 Trax, 36 hyzmarca, 37 Kremlin KOA, 38 lorthazar, 39 ShadowDragon8685, 40 wagnern, 41 Panzergeist, 42 bclements, 43 Canis, 44 bit buckethead, 45 Hoondatha, 46 Da9iel, 47 Club, 48 Sabosect, 49 Tal, 50 Heimdall, 51 TokenFemme, 52 psykotisk overlegen, 53 Toshiaki, 54 Oracle, 55 Sketchy, 56 evil1i, 57 Drop Bear Prime, 58 TheMoto42, 59 Apathy, 60 Austere Emancipator, 61 JongWK, 62 Ryu, 63 Shadow Prophet, 64 PlainWhiteSocks, 65 martingothard, 66 toturi, 67 Fortune, 68 Ophis, 69 brohopcp, 70 blakkie, 71 maneius, 72 Herald of Verjigorm, 73 Lindt, 74 tisoz

And alphabetically:
26 Aku, 8 Ancient History, 7 Angelone, 59 Apathy, 60 Austere Emancipator, 31 Bastard, 42 bclements, 2 Bigity, 33 Birdy, 44 bit buckethead, 70 blakkie, 22 BookWyrm, 69 brohopcp, 43 Canis, 47 Club, 46 Da9iel, 5 DocMortand, 10 Doctor Funkenstein, 57 Drop Bear Prime, 30 Edward, 13 Enigma, 56 evil1i, 24 Eyeless Blond, 19 fistandantilus 3.0, 32 Foreigner, 67 Fortune, 6 Grinder, 1 Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate, 50 Heimdall, 72 Herald of Verjigorm, 45 Hoondatha, 36 hyzmarca, 61 JongWK, 3 Jrayjoker, 28 Kagetenshi, 18 Kiedo, 17 Krazy, 37 Kremlin KOA, 73 Lindt, 15 littlesean, 38 lorthazar, 71 maneius, 65 martingothard, 21 Mortax, 20 mmu1, 27 nezumi, 4 Nikoli, 68 Ophis, 54 Oracle, 41 Panzergeist, 29 PBTHHHHT, 64 PlainWhiteSocks, 12 Plan B, 52 psykotisk overlegen, 14 Reaver, 16 Req, 62 Ryu, 48 Sabosect, 39 ShadowDragon8685, 63 Shadow Prophet, 23 Shrapnel, 11 SkeevePlowse, 55 Sketchy, 9 SpasticTeapot, 25 Supercilious, 49 Tal, 58 TheMoto42, 34 Thomas, 74 tisoz, 51 TokenFemme, 53 Toshiaki, 66 toturi, 35 Trax, 40 wagnern
nezumi
I am a fool, having posted so late. The only reasonable answer is to throw myself upon my drop bear.
Grinder
QUOTE (Oracle)
Brothers, I will now start my dangerous mission.

Good luck, man. We'll remember you as the first martyr if zoo wardens shot you.
Grinder
QUOTE (nezumi)
I am a fool, having posted so late. The only reasonable answer is to throw myself upon my drop bear.

It's not important when you realized the wisdom in this thread - realizing it is the only important thing.

You show faith and dedication to our Drop Bear Conspiracy, so no need to get yourself killed.
hyzmarca
Friends, I have learned a disturbing and wonderful fact. Beer kills. Therefore, I propose we arm our Drop Bear soldiers wth beer guns.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
All I can say is....amazing.
You folks are all damn spiffy.

If I had anywhere to go tomorrow, I would dress up as a Drop Bear to celebrate.
Oracle
Brethren! Unplanned-for things happened during my expedition to the zoo. Please just take a look at this!

eek.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Oracle)
Brethren! Unplanned-for things happened during my expedition to the zoo. Please just take a look at this!

eek.gif

Hmmm... that does explain the irregularities of the zoo attendance reports, the amount of incoming visitors does not seem to match up with the number leaving the park. Further investigation will have to be looked into...
Grinder
Oracle should be granted the special title Wild Drop Bear Colony Special Investigator, setting up his own task-force - and supported by my German Albino Ninja Drop Bear platoon.
Fortune
Roos Rool!
nezumi
Great googly moogly!! It is good to see that the drop bears are preparing to retake their homeland. Good job, Oracle.
PlainWhiteSocks
Brother Oracle's report is disturbing. It means the Roo's got the jump on the invasion of Hannover. We need to send Beer Gun toting Drop Bear Ninja Commando reinforcements there to deal with this pesky Roo problem. Good to know there's plenty of Eucalyptus already there. Our troops can travel light.

Are the Roo's showing up anyplace else?

Maybe we can use the unsuspecting Roo's to lure tourists under trees. Make use of our enemy.
lick.gif
Aardvark892
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate @ Jul 29 2005, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (Angelone @ Jul 28 2005, 10:18 PM)
Best protection I've found against drop bears is not to leave the landrover, if you have too try to have an autogyro drone above your head at all times. The second version is a bit messy, but very effective.

OOC- Nice to get back in country and see this thread alive and well. Good job all.

Using an autogyro drone will not protect you against those of the worldwide drop bear conspiracy who see your death being worth more than their lives.
I would imagine that the impact of a good-sized drop bear into the rotors of the autogyro would most likely send it crashing down onto your head.

I can only imagine the expressions on the faces of the DocWagon personnel sent to pick up the corpse from such an accident...

That puts to mind a drop bear missile launcher.

Not a Drop Bear's missile launcher, but a missile launcher that launches Drop Bears.

"Okay, aim a little higher...okay put some more eucalyptus powder in the breech....a little higher...aim for the head...FIRE IN THE HOLE!"

And with a mighty *poot* we have ballistic drop bears raining from the sky....

...mounted right alongside the bobcat launchers.
Jrayjoker
Speak not of the heathen bobcats in our presence!
hyzmarca
Actually, now that I have giant zombie Drop bears thanks to my good friend D'Compose, I'm working on something new.

I call it Drop Gear Rex. Essentially, it is a walking tank with a giant rail gun. When complete, it will be able to launch a fragmenting shell containing bultiple Drop Bear warheads against any target on the Earths. What's more, because it is a gun rather than a rocket, it technically doesn't violate any anti-ballistic missile treaties.
fistandantilus4.0
tisoz: slow night?

I'm working on a nifty drawring (yes drawring, not drawing nyahnyah.gif ) with my shaman and his ninja drop bears, but no scanner. Anyone in Utah with a scanner by chance?

BTW, delivered the drop bear to Rhanoabwy. He was just tickled pink (ever seen a dragon change colors?). So now I'm geting together my own collection in character. My shaman already has a awakened critter version of Control Pack that he uses with his hell hounds. So Ninja drop bears are the next logical step.
DocMortand
tisoz: slow night?

I'm working on a nifty drawring (yes drawring, not drawing nyahnyah.gif ) with my shaman and his ninja drop bears, but no scanner. Anyone in Utah with a scanner by chance?

BTW, delivered the drop bear to Rhanoabwy. He was just tickled pink (ever seen a dragon change colors?). So now I'm geting together my own collection in character. My shaman already has a awakened critter version of Control Pack that he uses with his hell hounds. So Ninja drop bears are the next logical step.

The problem with Control Drop Bear is if you ever LOSE control...you are SO hosed.

I applaud Oracle on his report, and second the Wild Drop Bear Colony Special Investigator recommendation. I would recommend reading this thread at least three more times to truly understand the drop bear, then you are ready.

Stupid I.E. Tourists...there are more out there than you realize! Drop Bear platoons are required to weed them out...
Grinder
QUOTE (DocMortand)
I applaud Oracle on his report, and second the Wild Drop Bear Colony Special Investigator recommendation.

So everyone else is willing to grant Oracle the special title?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012