Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Fortune)
Does putting on my copy of Floyd's Ummagumma while plopping a stuffed koala bear on top of my CD player help?

I don't see how it can hurt. Just make sure you burn your eucalyptus candle, too.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Just make sure you burn your eucalyptus candle, too.

Don't have one, but I can stick a bit of string into a jar of Vicks VapoRub ...
Grinder
It's a beginning...
Magus
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 10 2007, 11:37 PM)
Do you have any suggestions for the juice topic?

Of course. Send out your troops to catch some gummi bears. After pressing them out I will have enough juice for experiments.

I have the secrets of the Gummi Berry Juice already. It was in the Disney Vaults. It even smells and tastes of eucalyptus!!
Grinder
Great news, Brother Magus! smile.gif

Send a sample of it to Brother Oracle and we will have Gummi Bear Juice 2.0 soon!
Trigger
I see that with all these preparations at hand the Tuesdayy of The Great Dropping is soon at hand.
Magus
QUOTE (Grinder)
Great news, Brother Magus! smile.gif

Send a sample of it to Brother Oracle and we will have Gummi Bear Juice 2.0 soon!

Elder there is one "small" side-effect. The imbibing of the GBJ 2.0 causes the drinker to smile and grin all the time while singing some eerie chant. http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/studio/...477/gummie.html

We are working on it though. rotfl.gif
Grinder
Our squads of mighty Albino Ninja Drop Bears can use this as a disguise.
Trigger
QUOTE (Grinder)
Our squads of mighty Albino Ninja Drop Bears can use this as a disguise.

Yes! Give them a slightly foolish looking wig and dress them in foreign clothes and they can sneak into anywhere in the states posing as tourists...they could say they are from anywhere in Europe and no one would think the wiser.

Imagine the great drop locales....Sky Needle in Seattle, The Arch in St. Louis, the skyrises of LA...hell, basically all of the island of New York. grinbig.gif
Grinder
And they're smiling all the time biggrin.gif
Trigger
Precisely...the perfect cover. biggrin.gif
Trigger
I do resurrect you, Oh Great Drop Bear Thread, from your hibernation through the second half of the absolutely bloody cold January. Welcome now to the month of February, where lovers do go on private picnics and sit innocently beneath trees, fresh for the dropping.
Oracle
Drop Bears need a warm climate. This is why the thread was in hibernation...
cristomeyers
Then what the heck are they doing up? It's about 7 degrees outside on my end!

Guess that means I'm safe...

--innocently looks up--

Or not.

eek.gif dead.gif
DireRadiant
Hmm, isn't warmer in february where Drop Bears come from?
Grinder
Drop Bears love to hide and wait for prey. So a lack of appearant activity shouldn't fool you.
nezumi
As an aside, is anyone interested in updating the drop bear stats for SR3R or SR4? I'm sure if we got everything in order, we could get Kage to add them to his project, and Adam will certainly make sure they get into SR4 unless he wants to be ambushed on his way home from work one day.

Alternatively, could we make an entire drop bear based book like the SOTA65 book being worked on? Threat: Drop Bears or something? Maybe another mission, Dark Drop, where the party has to save a popular drop bear music star recently brought to the public knowledge by UCAS Idol from a deep and mysterious IE conspiracy?
PBTHHHHT
We might has well try and put in one or two sample encounters/mini-adventures too. Plus, maybe some suggestions for music to play along for the drop bear encounter.
Trigger
I think I have enough time on my hands and knowledge floating around my brain to give these drop bear stats a go.....The great mother drop bear spirit hast given me a vision and I must make it happen.
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah, ,definitely Threats:Drop Bears, because Target:Drop Bears is just askin' for it. Someone talk to Jason Hardy, he hinted he might slide some more Drop-ings ( biggrin.gif ) into SR novels in the future.

We also need someone to stat the Vampiric Drop Bear ShapeShifter Adept Albino Cyber Ninja with Bungee suit. Say... SR3 (since it's the only one w/ shapeshifter ruels so far), 150 BP, as is appropriate for a proper Drop-Foot Soldier?

Perhaps one for Brother Witness to tackle? Elders, thoughts?
Magus
Don't forget to add Active Skill Surfing
Ophis
Maybe we should make it a Mage to for that White wolf everything charm...
fistandantilus4.0
Mystic adept, that way it can maintain ranks in Great Leap Adept power, and still be able to cast Influence.
Trigger
And don't forget the many ranks in Freefall for our Vampire Cyber Ninja Space Zombie Albino Shapeshifter Mystic Adept Drop Bears.
Grinder
Wall Running is needed to. At least for a special ops squad.
Witness
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 3 2007, 11:28 PM)
Yeah, ,definitely Threats:Drop Bears, because Target:Drop Bears is just askin' for it. Someone talk to Jasoin Hardy, he hinted he might slide some more Drop-ings ( biggrin.gif ) into SR novels in the future.

We also need someone to stat the Vampiric Drop Bear ShapeShifter Adept Albino Cyber Ninja with Bungee suit. Say... SR3 (since it's the only one w/ shapeshifter ruels so far), 150 BP, as is appropriate for a proper Drop-Foot Soldier?

Perhaps one for Brother Witness to tackle? Elders, thoughts?

Forgive me Master, for I have most egregiously slipped in my daily devotions to the Great Cause. If it will in some small way atone for my sins, I will most assuredly and gratefully set out upon the worthy quest entrusted to me.

But first, coupla questions... what does SR3 stand for again? And what is this 'adept' thing people speak of?
fistandantilus4.0
Superlative Render 3 (means it's real good at cutting stuff)

Adept - Check your local shadowland node (or SR3 book if ya got one wink.gif ). It's someone/thing that has some magical ability that augments it's already formidable ability to drop, rend, and jump, etc. I hear there are others that can do other things, but they don't really matter.
nezumi
Brothers, I know I have not been specifically given permission to engage in this endeavor, but I have put pen to paper and have written out the first skeleton of a possible adventure. I am aware that it will take some work to carefully present all the appropriate information to what may be a wide audience, so any input you may have on the scant work I've done so far would be quite appreciated.

Bla bla bla stuff (IE safe)
[ Spoiler ]

Absolutely nothing of interest here
[ Spoiler ]

I can only pray that this is worthy of the Drop Bear effort.
Witness
**bow**
Angelone
Darn, I've slipped far. Been trying to think of a good "O Fortuna" joke for days and I've got nothing.

As far as infiltrating society, how about masks? People will think the Drop Bears are hairy little tourists, ex-presidents, or elvis impersonators.

Remember WWBD? What would Becka do?
Jame J
There should be an Order of the Drop Bear Throwers.

I appoint myself a member.
fistandantilus4.0
Elders, if Nezumi isn't an elder yet, he should be.
Grinder
Yup. Even more for the fact that he quoted me in his sig. love.gif grinbig.gif
nezumi
I am not worth of such honors, however if you feel compelled to bestow them, it would not be my place to deny you that.
nezumi
Scenes 1 and 2.

BEARLY UP
[ Spoiler ]

EMBEARASSMENT

[ Spoiler ]
nezumi
I've been redoing stuff as I go along on the old things, and I will post the completely updated doc when I'm done. The next few scenes I'm still working on, since I got down the mechanics of things, but haven't made them especially amusing yet (and I do know the DBC like their amusing bits). I present them for completeness, for comments, and most of all, for further input (which I will expound upon after).

DROPPING IN
[ Spoiler ]

FALLING STAR
[ Spoiler ]

SIMONE SAYS
[ Spoiler ]

So this is what I need...

1) Funny names, situations, details. I'm happy to change anything I've written so far. Most of what I've written out is the body required for an ADVENTURE, not the style required to make it a DROP BEAR adventure. I've done the easy part. So feel free to help give me style. Character names, situations, details and descriptions all give the story new style. Easter eggs are great, don't be afraid to toss in names of forum members (in fact, I plan on it).

2) Maps. I hate doing maps. Read through, if you think you can make a good map, go for it. PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. E-mail it and I'll include it in the plot.

3) Most important, plot questions. I have put up the plot as I have it planned:
i Fortuna hires the runners
ii Runners kidnap Becka
iii Runners deliver Becka to Fortuna
iv Runners are kidnapped by the DBC. This is where help is certainly appreciated. I don't look forward to making up the holy words of the DBC on my lonesome. What we write may be considered canon by future generations, so each word must be considered carefully.
v Runners are hired to go get Becka back from Fortuna, probably requiring they break into Fortuna's mansion in the Tir. What is this mansion like? What do they encounter? There is lots of room for help here.
vi Runners return with information. What do they learn?
vii Runners are hired again by the DBC to set up a fake meet with Fortuna
viii Runners partake in a battle of awesomeness
ix Wrapping up - what do the screamsheets say? What else happens if the runners have failed? Survived?
x Cast of Shadows - hopefully this won't be hard, but I will need help going over the stats of the Drop Bear Commandos and other critical NPCs.

As always, your humble servant requests your aid in spreading the good word.
Ophis
You know if this is done quickly enough it could be the missions for April. Then everyone would think it was a joke and be sucked into our control completely unaware...
nezumi
Wow, whats the deadline for that?
Sticks
breaking information on why the bears may be so agressive rotfl.gif

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/austra...icle2303027.ece
Grinder
Bah, IE propaganda, nothing more.
nezumi
It occurs to me that, while I will likely finish writing the first draft within two weeks, unless I get more support, I can't expect this to be done done until approximately 4/1. I'm still not sure what the deadline is for Missions submissions, but we'll need some more contributions in order to get this wrapped up in March.
fistandantilus4.0
Apologies, been wrapped up in other things. Happy to help. What specifically would you like me to work on?
nezumi
In short, I need flavor. I've been writing out plot and mechanics, but I have a little drop bear calf who still does not sleep all night, so my humor is not always as sharp as his teeth, nor have I been making the best character names, etc. I'm also sure that I've missed little details in the plot, or have made things more complex than they strictly need to be. Finally, I'm missing things like maps and character portraits. I may make maps myself, if I get a copy of visio here, but I hate doing it, so it will be time consuming and probably not especially good.
fistandantilus4.0
I hate doing maps, but portaits I'd be happy to do. I can also go over the advneture "bare bones" and see about intro paragraphs, that sort of thing.
nezumi
What ever you feel comfortable adding, I would be very, very happy to have. Keep in mind, if you are interested in running this for your own group, you'll need to read it all anyway, so it shouldn't distrss anyone to read it now ;P
fistandantilus4.0
Well, I do drawings in my spare time (you know, when that most precious of gifts actually occurs). What would you like me to draw for it? The intro paragraphs I can manage on my own. Just need to read over a bit.
Trigger
Brothers, I am also willing to add my artistic talent to this most holy of drop bear endeavors, just tell me what you need and I will draw it.
fistandantilus4.0
Cast of Shadows:

Fortuna:
[ Spoiler ]
Tattered~Seraphim
*Applauds* You are a genius, Nezumi. The idea is simply marvellous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
nezumi
Excellent job, fistandnatilus. This does bring up an interesting quandry, however...

Do we want to make this an SR3 or SR4 game? Or should we dual-stat everyone? SR3 will give us an audience who otherwise have few new published missions to turn to, SR4 will allow us to perhaps even get published through the shadowrunrpg site as the monthly mission!

Assuming we do go to SR4, can I get an example of a 'standard' security guard? I'm guessing the rule of having an average attribute of 3 still stands. What about skills? Once I have the average security guard, I can build off of the templates in the book for runners and create a reasonable cast of nobodies.

In regards to art, I personally am a fan of the first edition style. Most of the main characters (Fortuna, the DBC, a drop bear commando, Becka) need portraits. Some cool action scenes would be awesome, although ones that fit into a quarter page are certainly acceptable (I know how long it takes to do a full sized picture). Cover art will be terrific, but is going to be tough, since it should probably be in color, full sized, and as close to professionally done as possible (unless we want to just do a huge drop bear mouth, an action scene of 'last thing the victim sees'). So there's plenty of space for art, and people are welcome to use their artistic license.

I love to see big hair, dirty urban scenes, leather jackets and spikes, glitzy advertising, etc. But my experience with artists tell me that they, like cats, generally have their own ideas of how it should look, and that's more or less what they're going to go with. So I won't try to intrude overly much on what you do or how you do it, I trust you'll work to maximize your skills. It would probably be best to "call" what you're specifically working on, so we don't get two portraits of Fortuna, for instance.

Thank you everyone for the support, this is going to be great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012