Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Trigger
I will work on a mixture of art then and also open up my portfolio of random SR artwork for you to choose from as well....I am fairly good at portrait work and do those quite well and quickly.
nezumi
Unfortunately, photobucket is blocked at work, so I'll have to check over your art when I get home, but I may take you up on that! Thank you!
fistandantilus4.0
well as for stats, it really wouldn't be that much work to do up 2 sets of stats, one for 3rd edt, one for 4th.

I'll see what ideas I can come up with for pics. I suck at color though. I have a funn mental image like the cover of SoTF but with Drop Bear Commandos instead of shedim zombies, and confused looks on the runner's faces. biggrin.gif
Lady Door
Confused... but, with dawning horror.

Oh, and there has to be that one picture of the General commanding his legions from on high...
nezumi
Trigger, I don't think you need me to tell you, the art you posted is EXCELLENT. I notice you did mostly people. Do you do backgrounds as well? Regardless, IMO the pictures you could probably do the easiest would be:

Fortuna the elf
Becka the beautiful drop bear
A fearsome drop bear commando or three

I don't know of any other NPCs which really 'need' profiles. The DBC is dark and mysterious, so if you want to do a picture of black, you can (I actually imagine them sort of like the NERV meetings in Evangelion, where everyone has a cool, impressive obelisk that talks in a fearsome voice, even though some members are really pimply faced thirteen-year-olds or fat, unwashed middle aged men or whatever. I mean the NERV members look like that, not the DBC members, who are all greek gods.)

If you wanted to do a few cool scenes from the story or 'generic shadowrunners' enacting parts of the plot, that would be cool too. Examples would be Runners getting ambushed by drop bears, runners peering into a hotel room full of foliage and maybe a fearsome bear peeking out, etc.
nezumi
Specific questions for people...

Seattle geography:
What would be a good location for a drop bear ambush? A big warehouse by the docks? A zoo? A giant hydroponics plant?

What would be a good location for the secret DBC lair? I imagine it would be at the top of a building, although due to cost restrictions, maybe the top of a 14 story office park building in a B-rated district.

Tir geography:
Firstly, should the runners actually be sent to the Tir? That sounds complex. If yes...

What other missions involve entering the Tir? What obstacles are there in hopping the border? What books need to be referenced? Or is this better skipped somehow? (Maybe the runners are provided a plane and they're just parachuted out? Or perhaps, to test their loyalty, pushed out without parachutes?)

Any thoughts on the location and setup of Fortuna's McMansion before I start writing that out?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (nezumi)
Seattle geography:
What would be a good location for a drop bear ambush? A big warehouse by the docks? A zoo? A giant hydroponics plant?

Space Needle
Konsaki
The place you would least expect it...
HullBreach
QUOTE (Konsaki)
The place you would least expect it...

GM: Your character wakes up, its a saturday morning and you've got nothing planned. What do you do?

Player: I use the can and get some breakfast.

GM: What do you have for breakfast?

Player: A big bowl of cereal.

GM: Ok you pour a big bowl of cereal, but when you go to open the fridge you feel an evil prescence.

Player: I shut the fridge!

GM: Too late! The drop bear leaps from the cabnit behind you, latching on to your pitiful human skull!
nezumi
*scratches out 'fake meet and betrayal', scribbles down 'drop bears at breakfast'*
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nezumi)
Tir geography:
Firstly, should the runners actually be sent to the Tir? That sounds complex. If yes...

What other missions involve entering the Tir? What obstacles are there in hopping the border? What books need to be referenced? Or is this better skipped somehow? (Maybe the runners are provided a plane and they're just parachuted out? Or perhaps, to test their loyalty, pushed out without parachutes?)

Any thoughts on the location and setup of Fortuna's McMansion before I start writing that out?

I'd say rather than basing him in the Tir, which adds so many layers of difficutly, put the McMansion more as a Mc Base in Salish territory in between Seattle and the Tir. Moving back and forth betwen the Tir would get him more attention than he wants, even with a high up sponsor. Especially if he's trying to smuggle in a Drop Bear. let him do his dirty work in the Salish, then go home once it's all done. Don't drek where you sleep.
nezumi
Continuing on... Some more space for help from people. I tried to change the security sheaf myself, but I really don't feel at all competent. So I need someone with some skill in SR3 and SR4 to please change the following into something I can drop into the mission:

sheaf 1 and 2
[ Spoiler ]

I've translated some of the NPCs. As always, comments are welcome!!

NPCs:
[ Spoiler ]

Finally, I've written a few more scenes for people.

The party is paid in Elf You
[ Spoiler ]

The party is ambushed in Bottom of the Bearel
[ Spoiler ]

Finally, we meet the DBC (well, part of it. I know I've excluded some names, and perhaps included some unworthy ones. I chose Grinder as the current speaker, I'll probably have fistandalus be the speaker next time).

[ Spoiler ]

Thoughts? Next scene, of course, we drop in on Fortuna's house.

I apologize for any unfunny parts. I'm still struggling to get 7 hours a night. I'll certainly do some more complete editing later, but I think your comments are critical at this early stage so they can be properly integrated later.
fistandantilus4.0
I laughed my ass off!

it kinda hurt

The dialogue was awesome.

It may be more helpful if you let us know specifically what you needed assistance one. Dole out parts of the project and the like.

Wonderful so far though. Id be happy helping to do rooms in Fortuna's hideaway if you'd like. Just let me know.
PBTHHHHT
Awww, no mention of any drop bear inquisitors! No one expects the Drop Bear Inquisition! nyahnyah.gif
Magus
What about my drop bear surfing ninja pirate commandoes?!?! I demand an honorable mention for my Disney based brigades!!
fistandantilus4.0
Easy there Brother Magus. Surfing Ninja Pirate Drop Bears are kind of a niche market thing ,and can't be used everywhere. But we'll what we can do about a cameo. Maybe some intel Forutna is researching in Cal Free?

@Brother nyahnyah.gif If they were mentioned, they wouldn't be as effective now would they?
Magus
My troops just wanted some sort of recognition Elder. They were feeling rather forgotten. After all they did manage to take both Disney Parks in the North American continent.
fistandantilus4.0
perhaps some spy satelitle pictures of ninja drop bears surfing in formation, aloing side some other pics of little fuzzy heads poking over the tops of signs and rides in Disneyland? Intel on the Madahorn (sp?) being the secret lair?
PBTHHHHT
Kinda like Magus, I mean, how many heretics do we have to burn/put to the questioning before get some recognition? wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
rotfl.gif

2 more
nezumi
Helping with the mansion (especially a floor plan!!) would be great. With the good ideas I've gotten here, my plot issues are pretty much resolved. I still am struggling with SR3/SR4 conversions, so any help there is VERY appreciated. I haven't poked Trigger about art, since he mentioned he might be willing to do some. I can probably exchange sexual favors with my wife to get her to do some, but I already promised her to help do SOTA65 first, and a drop bear officer is only as good as his drop, but also should probably at least try to keep to other commitments too.

We're going to encounter the DBC again a second time, when the runners tell them Becka is dead, and the runners will also get a chance to examine what Fortuna has learned about the drop bear conspiracy. Certainly, the ninja surfing pirate drop bears would figure heavily in both, due to their relatively high visibility. Unfortunately, I fear the drop inquisition, as always, will only appear when it is unexpected. I can't imagine Fortuna has successfully heard about them, and they shouldn't be mentioned among the DBC unless someone is a heretic, but we will see how that turns out.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd be happy to do some work on the floor plan and house stuff. What format would you like it in though?

Also, I can draw, what would you like done?

Same for convertions. What do you need statted?
Magus
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah
Drop Beers for everyone!!
nezumi
This will probably be assembled in a... electronic document of some sort... So some sort of electronic based format would be best... I really haven't gotten that far into planning though nyahnyah.gif Probably the FINAL version should be in jpeg or something. I have visio, so if you want to do it in that and send it to me, I can still move stuff around before I save it (not that I would).

The matrix sheafs!! I tried my hand at that and I have no idea what I'm doing. I couldn't begin representing a matrix system. Checking over the other NPCs would also be very, very good.

No drop beers yet, sorry. It's lent. On Easter Sunday, when I celebrate the dropping of our lord from heaven, I can drink again.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (nezumi)
No drop beers yet, sorry. It's lent. On Easter Sunday, when I celebrate the dropping of our lord from heaven, I can drink again.

Bah, I gave up red meat for lent instead. I'm keeping the booze! Especially for St Patty's Day. yeah, I know, it may be a special exception, like they did for that one time when it came on a Friday and there was a special order from some bishop that you could eat corned beef on a Friday. But still, I'm not gonna give up my booze!!! Especially when there's a Friday as your warm up day for St Patty's day. wink.gif
Grinder
When we spoke about crossbreeding, what was our opinion about Drop Pandas? Could be useful to conquer China.
PBTHHHHT
they might work, they are considered a threat by some. But it appears that the species might not take to discipline well. In one case the Panda has shown compassion to its intended victim. And they have their low points...
Ophis
I must speak out against the Drop Panda, even soaked in blood, bamboo is a poor fuel for a military force. Pandas are sadly useless creatures, very cute yes, but useless creatures, who despite great physical power eat food that lowers the labido. Useless. I say we stick to Marsupials mostly, possibly spreading into monotremes, I feel drugged up platipi would be good shock troops, mostly because our foes would be laughing to much to kill them. Plus they are poisonous.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ophis)
I feel drugged up platipi would be good shock troops, mostly because our foes would be laughing to much to kill them. Plus they are poisonous.

...kind of like the Killer Joke...
nezumi
I believe our two weeks of silent meditation on the miracle of the Great Drop and Climb can be ended now, brothers. And just in time, as I have news and questions.

I have restarted my previous project, and am making excellent time on its initial draft. I'll submit two more sections soon for review, and I am modifying the older sections with each rereading. However, I am hoping that other peoples' projects have been coming along as well. Elder Fistandantilus, how goes the floor plan? Brother Trigger, does your offer for art still stand?

I hope to have everything spell checked by this afternoon, so no typos offend your revered eyes.
PBTHHHHT
The Inquisition department shall go over your materials once it's available for review. We shall see if you hold true to the Drop cause. Else we'll have to subject you to the question over any questionable heretical material.
nezumi
Of course, I expected no less.

Oh dear, I just realized we're both in the DeeCee area... I really do need to be careful!
PBTHHHHT
Yeah, but it appears your allegiance is with that New World organization, trying to bring the UCAS and CAS back together. tsk, tsk, living in the past. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nezumi)
Elder Fistandantilus, how goes the floor plan? Brother Trigger, does your offer for art still stand?

Floor plans need drawing out although the house content is coming along. My 3 drop-children are occupying quite a lot of my time ATM. I'll get them some fresh meat to feed upon and get things moving on a bit more. I'm a little unsure of jsut how I want to do the floor plan though. Considering jsut using the paint program, as I really don't want to draw it and then scan it in.

Specifics for art?
nezumi
I can understand that... My own little pups seem to enjoy nothing more than spitting up on my important work. Alas.

Floor plans can be in any common format; jpg, bmp, so on and so forth. My wife has adobe illustrator, so I can probably read more formats than you can, actually. I do have Visio, but I'm terrible at using it, so unless people want an orthogonal house, I should probably leave it to someone with lesser tools but a better understanding of the right angle.

Specifics for what we're looking for? Some excellent suggestions came up. Profile pictures of the major NPCs, the 'cover' art of drop bears attacking, so on and so forth. Trigger mentioned he would be interested in doing it. I may be able to bribe my wife into doing it, but it will be more difficult. She is... one of the unconverted.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nezumi)
She is... one of the unconverted.

*gasp!* Let us hope that your grace is sufficent for the both of you.

OK, I'll do some sketches after reviewing some more, and keep working on funny little easter eggs to put in to Fortuna's home.

Remind me ,were we basing Fortuna's base in the southern Salish, or in the Tir?
nezumi
Salish. I agree, it's a good idea and it keeps the adventuring from doubling in size for what should be a minor jaunt. Plus, I doubt our good readers could tolerate being surrounded by snobby elves without mowing them all down, thereby failing at the mission.
EphemeralKingOfNowhere
*rocks back and forth in his chair twitching occasionally*
I made it through the whole thing, I really did it...it was worth the strange looks from my co-workers, especially when I brought in all the eucalyptus candles. They mocked my drop bear altar, now they're serving a more holy purpose, dinner for the holy ones who came to me as I read.
*wipes at the blood running from his ears and begins to giggle uncontrollably*
fistandantilus4.0
*pats ephermeal on head*
There there Neophyte, drink your Drop Beer and get some rest. You'll need your strength young one. Well done. Well done indeed.

Being that next Tuesday is Tuesday the 24th, a good random date with little signifigance, I suggest we undertake a Great Dropping. Each and every Neophyte, Brother, Hooded cultist, and Elder, shall re-read the thread from page 1. Except for meo[hyte Ephermeal of course. The Great Drop Thread Pilgirmage shouldn't be undertaken twice in arow so quickly. It could end badly.

Will anothe Elder please second me?
Grinder
I second you, no question!

United we stand, divided we fall! cool.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Quick! Divide!
EphemeralKingOfNowhere
*sips his Drop beer and Slowly stops rocking*
Thanks I needed that, and I appreciate not being required to re-read the holy text again so soon, I don't know that my mind could handle such glory in such rapid succession.

*looks down in confusion for a moment*
Where the hell did my pants go?
*glances up into the eucalyptus growing out of a pot beside his desk and sees them in the branches*
Ohhhh, I don't think I want to know how that happened...
nezumi
4/24... I am meeting with a Honduras contact about pulling in some powerful umm... pottery. Powerful pottery. And I plan on beginning my second examination of the run we're working on. It's a good thing I took that speed reading class! Unfortunately, I may need to take Wednesday off so my wife can drive us westwards as I read, taking advantage of time zones to allow me an extra 3 hours to accomplish all necessary tasks in a single day.

For the cause!
Lady Door
In preparation for the Great Droppppping I have re-read the entire thread in it's sublimely mind altering totality.
O.o
I think I broke something in my brain...
fistandantilus4.0
Seriously. She was giggling for like 20 minutes straight. Then she died. It was very sad. indifferent.gif

Thankfully I know have a master shedim infested wife. The change in menu is a bit to deal with, lathough the drop children seem to like human blood. I know they've been sapping my energy for years, so it only makes sense that they'd move on to a larger course of human consumption. The shedim zombie doing the yard work mroe than compensates. And let me tell you the wonders of a shedim masseur! Never gets tired! The lotions cover that smell right up!
Lady Door
Shush you, back in your cage...
*slaps Fist3.0 across the back of the head*
fistandantilus4.0
Ow! ...

Fine, damn immortal zombie master. There is a new enemy in our midsts brothers! Beware the IZM! They look just like your spouse, except they sap your will, force you to eat things that turn your stomach, try to control your every action trough subtle manipulation, and become enraged adn try to force you back in to your cage if you talk about them in front of your friends! They...

Oh, wait, huh, guess she isn't a shedim. Nothing's changed really. Nothing more to see here, move along.
Lady Door
Just remember... I know where you sleep and I know all your weaknesses.
fistandantilus4.0
Beware Nezumi! It could happen to you!
Ophis
*Tries best to ignore the marital bliss before him*

Elders I trust we have agents within InMediaRes standing ready to guide Shadowrun in a more Dropbased direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012