Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planet of the Drop Bears
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Grinder
QUOTE (Sketchy)
What about drop opossums?

You fool! Don't reveal our secret plans to the public!

Legions Of Ninja Drop Bears: Attack!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Sketchy @ Sep 10 2005, 10:30 PM)
What about drop opossums?

You fool! Don't reveal our secret plans to the public!

Legions Of Ninja Drop Bears: Attack!

So, how are the Drop Bear Ninjas related to Shredder?
DocMortand
Heh...was throwing together a mini-run for last session and I brought up to one of my players that "you guys should hunt a drop bear in the sewers".

It got a groan...
Grinder
Because of the sewers, i'm sure. biggrin.gif
DocMortand
Heh, well that and he is a reader of this thread... smile.gif

Last time they were in the sewers they had an encounter with a cerebrus hound, and the time before that the had problems with hellhounds...oh, and a devil rat pack. smile.gif I did warn them yesterday that the thing terrorizing the sewers had escaped from the zoo....
Grinder
One of players started reading this thread after i muttered about Drop Bears on several sessions. He stsopped after reading the first 3 pages.... he was too weak, as not everyone is able to face the truth about Drop Bears.

I played an encounter at the sewers of Miami, as a player. Our GM let us hunt an escaped and genetic modified alligator. Was a lot of fun even though we had to fight against devil & demon rats as well as a pack of ghouls. Too bad the GM never heard of Drop Bears and this thread.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Heh...was throwing together a mini-run for last session and I brought up to one of my players that "you guys should hunt a drop bear in the sewers".

It got a groan...

What your group needs are 4 talking ninja drop bears named after Renaissance musicians in color-coded masks terrorizing the sewers.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Grinder)
One of players started reading this thread after i muttered about Drop Bears on several sessions. He stsopped after reading the first 3 pages.... he was too weak, as not everyone is able to face the truth about Drop Bears.

I played an encounter at the sewers of Miami, as a player. Our GM let us hunt an escaped and genetic modified alligator. Was a lot of fun even though we had to fight against devil & demon rats as well as a pack of ghouls. Too bad the GM never heard of Drop Bears and this thread.

shush! You're giving away my secrets! MY ARMY OF DROP BEARS, DESTROY THE INFIDELS!

Oh, and Hyzmarca: congratulations, my forehead now has an imprint of my desk as I had to repeatedly hit my head when I read that post.
Grinder
rotfl.gif
Jrayjoker
You people all scare the crap out of me. Seriously. You do...
PBTHHHHT
We aim to please.

Can you imagine one of us GM'ing for ya? Yeah, thought that would make you scream. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
Luckily I am the sick, demented bastard that GMs shadowrun for my crew. I get to inflict, not be inflicted upon... devil.gif
DocMortand
Same here. vegm.gif
Grinder
I convinced a former player to do the GM-job when we're playing SR as i'm the GM at our weekly Earthdawn-campaign for nearly four years now.

But i'll never tell him about Drop Bears. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
Everyone, sing along

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Drop Bears
Heroes in a half-shell eucalyptus tree
Turtle Drop Bear power!

nyahnyah.gif
Sketchy
I'm very afraid now.
What if all marsupials have "Drop" variants when infected with HMHVV?
You might end up with Drop Kangaroos, Drop Tasmanian Devils, and Drop Bandicoots...
Hold me, I fear the Drop-Beasts.
TheMoto42
Drop pandas and Drop-(other)bears brings up a further worry.
We have yet to figure out if a panda is a bear or a raccoon.

Imagine it, you've locked yourself in your safe-room, hit the panic-button and begun to pray. The 'star will be there in a few minutes, but meanwhile the drop-bears are held at bay by the reinforced doorway.
Then you hear a scratching at the door that's different from the normal attempts of your dull-eyes predators; something more deliberate.
To your horror the door slowly swings open, a drop-bandit hanging onto the door-knob with one paw, and a bit of wire in the other paw.

You're not safe anywhere!
fistandantilus4.0
ya' know, it's always so reassuring when I go away for the weekend, and see tha you have all done so well while I was gone. Warms the heart it does. embarrassed.gif

I've been kinda tossing around an idea. How well would a drop Panda adjust to the differnet climate of say, some place like...... Seattle. Para-animal smuggling, and all that fun. Run idea was kinda smuggling in a bunch of drop bears into an arcology, or perhaps something REALLY funt like the MCT towers in downtown. Drop bears in a zero zone. Paratrooping in. Good stuff.
Oracle
QUOTE (Grinder)
[...] i'm the GM at our weekly Earthdawn-campaign for nearly four years now.

But i'll never tell him about Drop Bears. biggrin.gif

Me wanna play Earthdawn! wink.gif My group fell apart after the gm left his girlfriend who also was part of the group.

Do you remember the red carnivorous giant squirrel? biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
no... but I do have a character that's a beast master that killed a preces and carries around it's foot. Kisses it when ever he gets into a tight spot. Maybe he;ll give it to MountainShadow eventually....
Grinder
My group is heading towards the jungle in south-west Cara Fahd. I'm sure there will be a place for jungle Drop Bears biggrin.gif

My favourite animal so far had been blood apes. Nearky killed the whole group twice. Nasty critters.

Oracle, i would invite you to my current group, but we're already 6 players and a GM and that's enough. Sorry.
fistandantilus4.0
you're more than welcome to come to my group, but we are in Utah. Long walk, from anywhere really. Nastiest thing my beastmaster has fought so far was a cow. Seriously. Fought a couple horror.s Killed 'em. Fought a bunch of sky raiders. Killed 'em. Fought a nasty corrupted beastmaster. Killed 'em. Twice.

Beat up a cow. Damn thing got back up. Knocked it out again. Damn thing got away. Now my beastmaster (of all people) has serious issues with cows.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Beat up a cow. Damn thing got back up. Knocked it out again. Damn thing got away. Now my beastmaster (of all people) has serious issues with cows.

I don't know if anyone I know will understand or appreciate that as much as I do right now, but.....I love you , man! love.gif
fistandantilus4.0
the worst part was..... it was on an airship, and we were raided, and captured the other ship! I have no idea how the damn thing got away!

The whole point was that I was supposed to go capture 4 cave crabs in order to get a couple of pieces of knowledge from good ol' Icewing, and the cows were food for the trip back (for the crabs). That one cow had been giving me attitude the whole trip there. So I was looking forward to having it being the first one fed to the crabs.

And the damn thing just dissapeared! Damn COW!

So yeah, thanks for the cow hatin' love JJ.

damn cows
Grinder
It's so simple: it was a Drop Cow, able to jump off the ship and land unharmed.

Oracle is living roughly one hour drive away, so it would be possible that he joins my group. wink.gif
Oracle
QUOTE (Grinder)
Oracle is living roughly one hour drive away, so it would be possible that he joins my group. wink.gif

Actually it wouldn't be. Because I got no drivers license. ^^
Grinder
Take the train, won't take you much longer. And a good ED session is woth one hour train ride. Escpecially when facing Drop Bears during the game, eh? biggrin.gif
Oracle
I don't think the drop bears would have much fun while dropping on me. I used to play a blood elf nethermancer. That would be at least as painful for them as for me...
Grinder
What about Blood Drop Bears? Queen Alachias special unit?
Oracle
Not yet, as far as I know. But it sounds like a reasonable idea. I will bring the matter to her majestys notice as soon as possible. Spikey death from above will hit all those creatures of minor races trying to trespass the borders of our beloved and most beautiful home. *crazygiggling*
Grinder
Blood Drop Bears would even be noticed between all the other scary'n'strange critters living in Blood Wood, i'm sure.
Oracle
What is wrong with giant carnivorous red squirrels? wink.gif
Grinder
They are scary, but not as scary as our Master Blood Drop Bears! wink.gif
Jrayjoker
How bad am I if I only log onto DS to check the drop bear thread?

Is that bad?
Grinder
Don't be afraid, young padawan.

The people who don't pay attention thos this thread are the bad ones, the fools!
Jrayjoker
They will never know the true power of the drop bear ordo maximus panda conspiracy...

Damn, you made me say too much!

<<Run, jrayjoker, run!>>
Foreigner
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 11 2005, 05:07 PM)
What your group needs are 4 talking ninja drop bears named after Renaissance musicians in color-coded masks terrorizing the sewers.

hyzmarca:

No offense meant, but I believe that the characters of whom you are thinking were named after early- or High Renaissance artists.

Donatello (1386-1466) was a sculptor. Michelangelo (Buonarroti) (1475-1564) was a sculptor and painter. Leonardo (da Vinci) (1452-1519) was a painter/inventor. Raphael (Raffaello Sanzio, 1483-1520) was a painter.

Although I was never a fan of the series (either the cartoons or the films), I did while away quite a bit of time watching them when I had nothing better to do--which doesn't say much for my taste in diversionary entertainment, I suppose.

nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Foreigner)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 11 2005, 05:07 PM)

hyzmarca:

No offense meant, but I believe that the characters of whom you are thinking were named after early- or High Renaissance artists.

Donatello (1386-1466) was a sculptor. Michelangelo (Buonarroti) (1475-1564) was a sculptor and painter. Leonardo (da Vinci) (1452-1519) was a painter/inventor. Raphael (Raffaello Sanzio, 1483-1520) was a painter.

Although I was never a fan of the series (either the cartoons or the films), I did while away quite a bit of time watching them when I had nothing better to do--which doesn't say much for my taste in diversionary entertainment, I suppose.

nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner

Of course. I just suggested naming them after musicians to avoid copyright complaints and liscensing problems. Why plagiarize someone's work when you can change a single word and call it your own?
Foreigner
hyzmarca:

Gotcha.

I just wasn't sure if that "slip" was accidental or deliberate.

You know the old saying about making assumptions.... wink.gif

Besides, the idea of a "ninja lawyer" is very intimidating.

The only thing worse would be hearing a knock on your door, and answering it to find a very large, heavily muscled man--wearing motorcycle leathers--whose dark glasses couldn't quite conceal the GLOWING RED EYES behind them....

eek.gif

EDIT: Although I can't seem to fathom the idea of an Awakened-Metahuman-or-critter-turned-shadowrunner/superhero going by the Street Name "Liberace"....

<SHUDDER>

Although, come to think of it, the white tuxedo and sequins would DEFINTELY qualify such an individual for the "Distinctive Style" flaw.... nyahnyah.gif

--Foreigner
Apathy
The only thing worse would be hearing a knock on your door, and answering it to find a very large, heavily muscled man--wearing motorcycle leathers--whose dark glasses couldn't quite conceal the GLOWING RED EYES behind them....

What about:
[GM] You hear a knock on the door.
[PC] "Who is it?"
[GM] "Landshark..."

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Foreigner @ Sep 14 2005, 01:06 PM)
Besides, the idea of a "ninja drop bear lawyer" is very intimidating.

fixed.

I know of a few lawyers who are black belts in their respective martial arts. It's kinda scary. You really don't want to mess with them in or outside the courtroom. lol.
Austere Emancipator
For all your Ninja Lawyer Training needs.
Sketchy
On that note...
Where can I find Drop bear sized power suits and briefcases?

And on an unrelated note, Why hasn't anyone made "Boxercases"?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Apathy @ Sep 14 2005, 02:21 PM)

What about:
[GM] You hear a knock on the door.
[PC] "Who is it?"
[GM] "Landshark..."

Street Sam: My landlord finally rented out the apartment next door.

Rigger: What are they like?

Sammie: A family of three, a wageslave, a homemaker, and their teenage daughter. They're from France. They're some wierd European metatype. They look like humans except for the tops of their heads.

Rigger: Who is that?

Sammie: Their heads are pointed, like cones.

Rigger: I've never heard of a metatype like that.

Sammie: Neither have I. When I asked them about it they just said "We're from France." I guess their metatype is common in France. They seem a little paranoid, especially when I asked them about their experience immigrating. I think their SINs are fake but I doubt they'll make any trouble.

Rigger: So... having cone shaped heads would make them immune to drop bear attacks, right?

Sammie: I'm going to see my street doc tommorrow and see what kind of cyberskulls he has.

Rigger: I'll drive.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
How bad am I if I only log onto DS to check the drop bear thread?

Is that bad?

bad!? BAD!? JJ... JJ, JJ, JJ ..... I just don't know what to say. I'm just.... so .. dissapointed.... *tear drop*

BTW, why the cow angst?
Jrayjoker
Well, first of all, they aren't drop bears. Then there is all the cud.

Need I say more?
Lady Door
Umm.. well... yeah. *curious*
Jrayjoker
Look, you guys need to understand. Cows and I have a history, and it isn't a pretty one either.

Back when I was a boy, living in south western Wisconsin near the Kickapoo River, we had cows. Not just cows mind you, but dairy cows.

Now everyone will tell you that dairy cows are some of the most placid, stupid beasts in the world, but they are WRONG! Those conniving bastard took my woman, they killed my family, and they took my SWOOOOOOOORD!

Sorry, I think I just channeled Conan for a minute there. Ahem, sorry.

Anyway, growing up in south western Wisconsin, particularly near the Kickapoo River, we had some of the most content cows you will ever find. That is until my family decided it would be a good idea to double the herd. With doubling the herd we needed to get more pasture, and it had to be adjacent to our land, otherwise it would be pointless. Luck would have it that our neighbor had some decent bottomland adjacent to our land, so we took it off his hands for a fair price and put up some fence, all the way down to the Kickapoo River.

If any of you have been to south western Wisconsin, particulary near the Kickapoo River, you know that there are a lot of sandstone bluffs and loose sand slopes as you approach the river, and the land we bought is no exception. So putting up the fence was simultaneously easy (the digging) and perilous (the bluffs and loose soil near the bluffs).

While we were out installing the fence I was watching the cows to make sure that none of them wandered away or fell off a cliff. Let me tell you, that was an easy job. The cows are not as stupid as you might think, and they had figured out that falling to their deaths was bad, so the cliffs were not a problem. On the other hand, they like to eat grass, and there was a lot of grass around us. Problem was, not all of it was on our land. So I was mostly running around every half hour or so and herding the cows back to the land we owned.

Well, one cow in particular was dead set on eating the neighbor's grass, not ours. She wouldnt move if you paid her. So there I am, standing on a sandstone bluff in south western Wisconsin, within a stones throw of the Kickapoo River, trying to talk a cow in to eating grass way over there instead of the perfectly good grass right here.

Reasoning with a cow, even the intelligent ones that have figured out gravity and not dieing being good, is never a winning strategy. All they do is chew their cud and look at you. This can be a pleasant way to spend the afternoon if you aren't at all emotionally invested in the outcome, and aren't too bright yourself. Unfortunately for me, I am not a complete moron and I took the outcome seriously.

At this time the rest of the cows are taking it pretty easy, eating the correct grass, not falling to their deaths, etc. So I don't have too many worries about them. But this one cow is starting to give me the eye, all the time chewing her cud and not going where I want.

It has been maybe a half an hour and I am starting to get a bit frustrated, so I start immagining the meals I could make out of such a fine cow as this. Ribs, steaks, burgers, sausage, you name it. And I told her all about it while I tried to move her.

Like I said before, cows aren't as dumb as you might think, they just take a bit longer to pay attention. And when they start paying attention you had better watch out! This cow inparticular was bright, I could tell by the look in her eyes that she had an idea of what I was talking about, and she did not like it one bit

So in the span of time that it takes me to finish telling you this story, that cow got me good. I was pushing on her butt to get her to move, and she cuts loose with a cow pie the size of a Buick and walks away. I fall face first into said Buick/steaming dung heap, and the cow then decides to wander over to the rest of the heard.

Now here comes the part where I let you in on why I hate the cows to this day...As she was walking away, she turned her head to look back at me, chewed her cud exactly three times, and winked at me.

So there I sit, in my neighbor's pasture, on top of a sandstone bluff, within a stones throw of the Kickapoo River, eating a cowpie, and taking sass from the cow that made it for me.

And that is why the cows and I have never spoken to each other since.

I swear to you that this entire story never actually happened.

That and they are not drop bears. biggrin.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
near the Kickapoo River...

You had some of us laughing at this line. Cute story, though.
Grinder
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012