Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
Raiki
3197: I will no longer be recieving dice pool bonuses for shooting myself though the shoulder to hit the person behind me while shouting "Yippie Kie Yay Mutherfucker!" Six times was enough. We get it.
3197a: Nor for shouting the same while lighting anything on fire.
3197b: Actually, I'm forbidden from saying "Yippie Kie Yay" under any circumstances.
3197c: I am no longer allowed to base every character I run off of John McClane.
3197d: While technically more genre appropriate, Korben Dallas is also vetoed.
3197e: The next Bruce Willis based character I bring to the table will summarily explode. I will spend that session listening to the GMs passive aggressive little sister talk about her love of My Little Pony.
3198: I am also no longer to base characters on Ulysses Everett McGill, Danny Ocean, Lyn Cassady, or 'The Fantastic Mr. Fox'.
3198b: Really, the veiled Bruce Willis/George Clooney references need to stop.
3198c: Really.
3199: All of my characters will be built with a cortex bomb pre-installed. At the first session, I will hand out a remote for such to each of the other PCs. This is non-negotiable.

These rules were actually all applied to someone I used to run with. He was a bit of a fanatic. He actually built a fox shifter after he saw "The Fantastic Mr. Fox".

~R~
Cube
3200: Even though my Mage's tradition is Cinematic, I am no longer allowed to summon the Ghost of John McClane as a combat spirit.
3200 Harder: If I do summon John McClane as a combat spirit, and he gets an Edge Test to become free, he must -not- succeed.

I may have broken both of these rules already...
WyldKnight
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 9 2011, 11:20 PM) *
where's the drawback to this one?

Technically none but we like to avoid casualties when we can.
Jaid
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Jan 11 2011, 01:54 AM) *
Technically none but we like to avoid casualties when we can.

a dead johnson that betrayed you isn't a casualty, just a statistic smile.gif
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Raiki @ Jan 10 2011, 09:25 PM) *
These rules were actually all applied to someone I used to run with. He was a bit of a fanatic. He actually built a fox shifter after he saw "The Fantastic Mr. Fox".

That's the best Wes Anderson character he could come up with. No Royal Tennebaum? No Max Fischer?
Didn't even try to play Carl Winslow from Die Hard instead? Come on, he's like three days from retirement!
What about Bruce Willis from Rugrats. He voiced the dog.

What we have here is a lack of pop-culture variety!
Raiki
Well...like I said, he's a bit of a fanatic. He gets very hung up on things, and it's very difficult to get him off of them. At the moment, we're busy trying to convince him not to play a Na'vi.

~R~
Draco18s
QUOTE (Raiki @ Jan 11 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Well...like I said, he's a bit of a fanatic. He gets very hung up on things, and it's very difficult to get him off of them. At the moment, we're busy trying to convince him not to play a Na'vi.

Let him play a blue troll arrow adept and then impose the various limits that have been put on that particular build since SR4A (cough, bow damage maxes at 10P) and watch him be made of suck and fail.
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Raiki @ Jan 11 2011, 02:09 PM) *

Tell me about it. The guy running our Serenity game saw Tron and then decided we needed to play Tron, Dan Quayle's favorite movie. No Tron RPG exists that he liked so he house rulesed the whole thing.

He hated the suggested idea that we all play Jeff Bridges from other movies. I was Starman Bridges. Don't get me started on Lebowski Bridges.
WyldKnight
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 11 2011, 10:38 AM) *
He hated the suggested idea that we all play Jeff Bridges from other movies. I was Starman Bridges. Don't get me started on Lebowski Bridges.

That sounds exactly like something that would make my life complete.
Raiki
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 11 2011, 01:38 PM) *

Ooh! Ooh! Dibs on Men Who Stare at Goats Bridges. I may not share my friend's obsession with that movie, but it was still hilarious, and Bridges was the best part IMHO.

EDIT: Okay, I admit, Kevin Spacey was also fantastic, but Jeff Bridges made the movie for me.

~R~
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 11 2011, 12:14 PM) *
Let him play a blue troll arrow adept and then impose the various limits that have been put on that particular build since SR4A (cough, bow damage maxes at 10P) and watch him be made of suck and fail.

10P Base. 15P with net successes. Unless they changed it again.
CanRay
3201: A thousand deaths isn't a statistic when they can all be lead back to you. Thou shalt not get caught!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 11 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Which is still pretty significant, but not as good as full auto from an assault rifle (8P + unlimited hits + 9 from long burst).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 11 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Refresh my Memory... WHY exactly does it cap out at 15P with Net Hits again? wobble.gif
Neraph
I think total damage is capped at 1.5 times base damage of weapon. I can't provide a page number as I haven't looked through the book yet, but that's what I understand is the new rule from hearing people complain about it - and I think it's in the Changes PDF.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Raiki @ Jan 11 2011, 07:09 PM) *

Why not convince him to take it one level higher -

Play a character who sees a movie and wants to be That Guy, so he goes to the A Whole New You and gets the skinjob and implants for it. And this happens like every two weeks or so, he's got preferred customer status. The rest of his team never know what he's gonna look like.
Mardrax
3202: I may not make a character with Black Market Pipeline (Bioware), Knowledge (movies (pre-trid era)), Knowledge (literature (dead tree era)), Mental Disorder (Multiple personality syndrome+hallucinations) and Obsessive Compulsive (bodysculpting) to reach what Ascalaphus just suggested.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 12 2011, 07:13 AM) *
Why not convince him to take it one level higher -

Play a character who sees a movie and wants to be That Guy, so he goes to the A Whole New You and gets the skinjob and implants for it. And this happens like every two weeks or so, he's got preferred customer status. The rest of his team never know what he's gonna look like.

Sorta reminds me of this character from...some..other..RPG that I've forgotten the name to, but I had Mind Control powers.

So the idea was that prior to the first session I'd mind rape some random guy and show up as him and use powers through him.

Then he'd die and everyone would be like, "Shit."

And I'd really be off in the shadows and I'd mind rape another random NPC and walk up and go, "Sup?" as if nothing happened.
sabs
Ah, Dominate for the win smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 12 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Ah, Dominate for the win smile.gif

I never got to play in that game though. I had class that night.
KarmaInferno
I still remember looking up the duration for Dominate Monster in that "other game" and uttering an astonished, "Holy crap, this guy's gonna be my meat puppet for weeks."

-k
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 12 2011, 11:34 AM) *
I still remember looking up the duration for Dominate Monster in that "other game" and uttering an astonished, "Holy crap, this guy's gonna be my meat puppet for weeks."

Yeah, we did that once too.

Then there's a paragon path for psionic classes in 4e that gives you a meat puppet forever. However, if it dies you don't get a new one and you have to pay to get it resurrected.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Jan 10 2011, 04:16 PM) *
3196. As GM, I am no longer allowed to vividly describe the effects of the Orgy spell, particularly when used on ghouls.

Om nom nom.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 11 2011, 06:38 PM) *

3203: Iron Man Bridges does not come with his own megacorp or power armour. He has a beard. And shouts at engineers.
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 12 2011, 09:14 PM) *
3203: Iron Man Bridges does not come with his own megacorp or power armour. He has a beard. And shouts at engineers.

In a cave. WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!
Kyoto Kid
...3204: Cute young teenage girl runners automatically get the "Friendly Face" edge for free but must also take a special flaw: "Never Taken Seriously" (no matter how smart or charismatic they are).
3204a: If blond, add the "Oblivious" flaw.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 13 2011, 07:52 AM) *
...3204: Cute young teenage girl runners automatically get the "Friendly Face" edge for free but must also take a special flaw: "Never Taken Seriously" (no matter how smart or charismatic they are).
3204a: If blond, add the "Oblivious" flaw.

I'm sure she can get taken very seriously if she wants to.
AStarshipforAnts
3205a: Datajacks on penises are no longer allowed.
3205b: It is also not permissible to pull one's pants down in preparation for a hack.
3205c: "Jacking in and Jacking off" jokes are no longer allowed.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 13 2011, 05:51 AM) *
I'm sure she can get taken very seriously if she wants to.

...only if she has a 128 litre FAE and knows how to use it. grinbig.gif
Squiddy Attack
3206: I may not take an affinity to accident spirits.
3207: I am no longer allowed to bind accident spirits to teammates.
Cube
3208: Technomancers can not make your head explode unless they hack your cranial bomb. Get it through your head!
3209: Being able to identify the villains because the GM is naming them after Hulk Characters and you just met two people named Sam Sterns and Emil Blonsky is metagaming. Even if your tradition -is- cinematic.
CanRay
3209a: There are two James Bond characters in cinema now. One is awesome, the other is awesome for an entirely other reason.
Squiddy Attack
3210: No characters may ever be capable of planting cranial bombs. Again.
3211: No character may ever, -ever- be related to Bubba the Love Troll.
3211a: Or have him as a contact. Especially not that.
3212: If a plan involves eight ping-pong balls, half a ton of banana peels, three pens, and a street urchin, it is henceforth banned.
3212a: Any plan that involves lube for non-mechanical uses is also banned.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Squiddy Attack @ Jan 17 2011, 03:24 PM) *
3212a: Any plan that involves lube for non-mechanical uses is also banned.

Technically, there's no such thing as NON-mechanical uses for lube. Make your own piston jokes.
CanRay
3213: I'm no longer allowed to complain about War! until I actually read it with my own eyes. Even if I have to wash and wash and wash and wash and never, ever get clean again...
Queek
3214: Just because I have the dice pools to start and stop wars on a whim, I shall no longer do so
3214a: And I am no longer allowed to set up omega sanctions either, just because I have the dice pools and some asshole cut me off in traffic
3215: Any use of Bubba, The Love Troll, as a psychological, biological, or any form of weapon of war is considered unethical in the extreme, and warrants an immediate Omega Sanction
TeknoDragon
3216: I am no longer allowed to put superglue on the Street Samurai's BTL chips.
CanRay
3216a: I am no longer allowed to put one part of the epoxy in the Decker/Hacker's Datajack, and the other part on his data cable.
Squiddy Attack
3216b: I may also not put superglue on the seat of the troll razorboy's motorcycle.
PoliteMan
#3217 I am not allowed to handle grenades
#3218 At some point the bomb is "big enough"
#3219 I am not allowed to plan terrorist attacks with nuclear weapons. The army will intervene again.
#3220 I am not allowed to take Kamikaze again unless I do my "crackhead" voice
#3221 (For self) I am not allowed to flirt with in-game females, no matter how attractively they are described. The GM will demand to roleplay that and he's freakier than me.
#3222 Laes is not the answer to everything
#3223 Unconscious terrorists cannot be traded for nuyen. They can, strangely, be traded for vehicles.
#3224 Upon acquiring proof of an upcoming apocalypse, I am not allowed to auction the info off on the Matrix unless I give the other PCs a cut.
#3225 After a run in which we needlessly got a corp pissed at us and had a contact killed, I am not allowed to remark "At least we got to kill some elves."
WhiskeyJohnny
3226: I may not cause my character to become a nuclear power by trading 40kg of medicinal grade cocaine for an ex-Soviet Boomer
3226a: If I do so, I may not ask for a new fake SIN under the name D. Ravinoff
3226b: As a corollary, no capitalizing on the fact that the mage's mentor spirit can conjure up drugs at a moment's notice
Nyost Akasuke
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jan 20 2011, 09:49 PM) *
#3222 Laes is not the answer to everything

My life is now devoid of any meaning or purpose.
Thank you.
CanRay
3226c: Again, I am never to allow the PCs to know an NPC who has an improvised WMD.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jan 21 2011, 05:49 AM) *
#3221 (For self) I am not allowed to flirt with in-game females, no matter how attractively they are described. The GM will demand to roleplay that and he's freakier than me.

Thank you. biggrin.gif

Also, automatically assuming that any and all flirting will lead somewhere?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 21 2011, 04:43 PM) *
Thank you. biggrin.gif

Also, automatically assuming that any and all flirting will lead somewhere?

Hey, my GM tried to pull a Bubba the (Gay) Love Troll over on my character (an elf).
I was not interested.
(Bubba then charged us more for the Winnebago we were buying)
WyldKnight
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 21 2011, 01:50 PM) *
Hey, my GM tried to pull a Bubba the (Gay) Love Troll over on my character (an elf).
I was not interested.
(Bubba then charged us more for the Winnebago we were buying)

Bubba isn't gay though, he's omnisexual. If it has a hole he will use it. If it doesn't have a hole he will make it and then use it.
Draco18s
Ok, it wasn't Bubba but it was a gay troll who took a fancy to my elf and I was like, "Oh hell no."
WyldKnight
I'm sure the dermal deposits don't make it to uncomfortable lol.
Ascalaphus
Bubba doesn't take Noooooooooooooooh!! for an answer.
CanRay
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 10:50 PM) *
Bubba doesn't take Noooooooooooooooh!! for an answer.

More like any noise is a "Yes" in his mind.

And a lack of noise means acceptance of the situation.

And a lack of movement typically means he's broken another toy. eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012