Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
_Pax._
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2012, 10:51 AM) *
Except that you cannot break the Augmented Strength Maximum of the Ork (Which is 13 IIRC), even with Power Throw. smile.gif

12, actually.

16, if you're an Ork Ghoul.

Trolls OTOH are a different matter. Aug max 15 straight up, 19 if they're Ghouled.

smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ May 11 2012, 11:51 AM) *
12, actually.

16, if you're an Ork Ghoul.

Trolls OTOH are a different matter. Aug max 15 straight up, 19 if they're Ghouled.

smile.gif

I stand Corrected... Knew if was somewhere around there, though. smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2012, 05:44 PM) *
So, in the end, what you are saying is that we see things differently. smile.gif
No worries.

Yup, or that i would like an actual clarification on power throw in the next errata. grinbig.gif

Still, throwing origami shurikens that does about 6P damage is nothing to sneeze at, or 9P with daggers with attribute maximums.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 11 2012, 12:51 PM) *
Yup, or that i would like an actual clarification on power throw in the next errata. grinbig.gif

Still, throwing origami shurikens that does about 6P damage is nothing to sneeze at, or 9P with daggers with attribute maximums.

Origami Shurikens are an inspired image... I like it. smile.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Angelone @ May 10 2012, 07:57 PM) *
I had a spoon that I sharpened, it did quite a bit of damage.

I am so making the Blue Raj and having him meet the PCs at some point.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2012, 06:53 PM) *

oh god...

The Paper Ninja (Magic 6)
Missile Mastery (Throwing -Paper Spec 6(cool.gif

The Paper Ninja looks like a comicon reject with an entire ninja suit made out of paper, including a papier mache katana and origami shurikens and throwing knives. He tends to leave a calling card at each run, a small paper figurine.

With his killing hands he is a lethal opponent with his papier mache knuckledusters and origami nunchuks.

No one took him seriously until he threw a paper shuriken at an enemy and cut his SMG in half and decapitated the guy standing behind him.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2012, 01:53 PM) *

::Looks around and then lowers head embarrassed::

I....I made Gambit....cept i couldnt figure out how to make the playing cards explode, but they do about 7p base nyahnyah.gif

Edit: Add in the FFBA and the Lined Duster and you get the perfect image
CanRay
Mystical Adept with a Gaes for Throwing Cards. biggrin.gif
VykosDarkSoul
I just did Adept, gave him a street lifestyle and a penchant for theivery and poker games. The hard part is keeping the accent up during game. hehe
Grinchy McScrooge
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ May 11 2012, 03:00 PM) *

I....I made Gambit....cept i couldnt figure out how to make the playing cards explode, but they do about 7p base nyahnyah.gif

I applaud thee, sir. grinbig.gif
thorya
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ May 11 2012, 03:00 PM) *

That's awesome. I want this to work so that I can play Gambit the next time I get to play.

Could you have cards made of Rating 15 Plastic explosive in a card form with a Radio Detonator? Set to go off 1 seconds after it went more than X meters from your commlink? Or wire them with micro accelerometers so that they detonated on impact?

Though a standard card is what 2 grams? hmmm, you're not doing much extra damage for that explosion, not even 1p (I don't think the explosive rules make much sense, especially at this scale). frown.gif Though plastic explosive is probably denser than a standard card and if you make it a little thicker. You could maybe get it to 20 grams, which puts you at 2P. Hmm, so if you stack that with the missile mastery madness you get 9P? And it explodes which is just awesome.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (thorya @ May 11 2012, 02:23 PM) *
That's awesome. I want this to work so that I can play Gambit the next time I get to play.

Could you have cards made of Rating 15 Plastic explosive in a card form with a Radio Detonator? Set to go off 1 seconds after it went more than X meters from your commlink? Or wire them with micro accelerometers so that they detonated on impact?

Though a standard card is what 2 grams? hmmm, you're not doing much extra damage for that explosion, not even 1p (I don't think the explosive rules make much sense, especially at this scale). frown.gif Though plastic explosive is probably denser than a standard card and if you make it a little thicker. You could maybe get it to 20 grams, which puts you at 2P. Hmm, so if you stack that with the missile mastery madness you get 9P? And it explodes which is just awesome.

Eh,
I didnt even want it to explode for the extra damage, just for the effect, and what my GM and I worked out was that when using certain adept powers there was an "aura" about them, therefore when I throw something using MM and Power Throw there is a slight orange aura about it (color choice was mine). We kinda got this idea from Goblins Comic, http://www.goblinscomic.com/title-17042012/
VykosDarkSoul
Oh yeah...and the Gambit char is the reason for my earlier post of "I am no longer able to make the Xmen into characters"
Neraph
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 11 2012, 02:43 PM) *
oh god...

The Paper Ninja (Magic 6)
Missile Mastery (Throwing -Paper Spec 6(cool.gif

The Paper Ninja looks like a comicon reject with an entire ninja suit made out of paper, including a papier mache katana and origami shurikens and throwing knives. He tends to leave a calling card at each run, a small paper figurine.

With his killing hands he is a lethal opponent with his papier mache knuckledusters and origami nunchuks.

No one took him seriously until he threw a paper shuriken at an enemy and cut his SMG in half and decapitated the guy standing behind him.

First off, there's Paper Armor in Attitude.

Secondly... this is relevant. One of my friends IRL makes 50k paper ninja stars a year. He's on a production break atm, though.

EDIT: All credit for the painstaking paper ninja star folding given to Da Mental Oriental, my friend.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 12 2012, 12:03 AM) *
First off, there's Paper Armor in Attitude.

Secondly... this is relevant. One of my friends IRL makes 50k paper ninja stars a year. He's on a production break atm, though.

EDIT: All credit for the painstaking paper ninja star folding given to Da Mental Oriental, my friend.

I may have done this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yomiko_Readman
Neraph
Shape and Reinforce, mainly.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 11 2012, 11:31 PM) *
Shape and Reinforce, mainly.

Hmm, could you make Reinforce spell permanent?
Stahlseele
Also: would Paper lose flexibility when Reinforced, or would it stay as crumpely as it usually is but simply not rip and tear, rip and tear anymore?
The Jopp
And now into munckinland.

When a reinforce spell has become permanent, can you cast it again on the same object? rotfl.gif
CanRay
5061: "I was drunk." is not an excuse for not having an adventure ready.
5061a: Especially when you're running Missions.
5061b: The Players pointing that out is no reason to get mean and double the stats on every hostile NPC, and make every friendly NPC hostile. vegm.gif
Angelone
5061c: Especially when you wrote the Mission.
Neraph
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 12 2012, 01:50 PM) *
5061a: Especially when you're running Missions.
5061b: The Players pointing that out is no reason to get mean and double the stats on every hostile NPC, and make every friendly NPC hostile. vegm.gif

I lol'd.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 12 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Jim's excuse for not having a run was "I was sober."

Jim always ran better games when he was slightly inebriated.
Halinn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 14 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Jim's excuse for not having a run was "I was sober."

Jim always ran better games when he was slightly inebriated.

Was he drunk enough to give more karma when the sessions ended, too?
CanRay
5062: I will NOT quit giving the folks at CGL ideas. Apparently I come up with good ones every now and then and they like finding that peanut. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Halinn @ May 14 2012, 03:33 PM) *
Was he drunk enough to give more karma when the sessions ended, too?

Typically he ran one shots.

But they were the best one-shots ever.

The only campaign I know that he did was for Scion, and that was an over-the-top game. Hero to God in 11 weeks (like 250 exp a session, which is like giving a shadow runner 250 karma, except that there are things to spend it on that cost 50, 100, 150 karma easy*)

*And aren't Initiation and Magic
CanRay
5063: I will not forget that Alice Cooper is scary to most people.
5063a: And a free spirit that looks like Alice Cooper is even worse for most people!
Tiralee
5063b: As an adjunct to the above, no player will ever describe their character, or any magical NPC as, "90's Alice Cooper with Elton John's 70's wardrobe"

-Tir
thorya
5064. Tasering a squatter in an abandoned building instead of shooting him is not an apology. And you can't add him as a contact simply because you left him a pizza.
5065. The fertilizer in a "fertilizer bomb" does not refer to mixing manure with plastic explosives.
5066. 100 kg of explosives is not the fastest way through a chain link fence.
Grinchy McScrooge
5067: The phrases "minimum collateral damage" and "entire metroplex" do not belong in the same sentence.

5067a: Unless you're Ares. And the metroplex in question is Chicago.
Halinn
QUOTE (thorya @ May 16 2012, 07:05 PM) *

No, takes too long to set up. Rocket Launchers or driving a truck through it is quite a bit faster.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Halinn @ May 16 2012, 12:23 PM) *
QUOTE (thorya @ May 16 2012, 07:05 PM)

No, takes too long to set up. Rocket Launchers or driving a truck through it is quite a bit faster

Nah, still to slow, Hire "Bear Who Walks Through Walls"

Edit: P.S. Tell him there is a full icebox on the other side!
Draco18s
QUOTE (VykosDarkSoul @ May 16 2012, 02:01 PM) *
"Bear Who Walks Through Walls"

I'm determined to make him a legend.
Stahlseele
I still can't find his sheet on dumpshock <.<
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2012, 03:27 PM) *
I still can't find his sheet on dumpshock <.<

Not sure it is. You'd have to ask Bobson for it.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 16 2012, 02:25 PM) *
I'm determined to make him a legend.

I'm working on it, he will be showing up in one of my campaigns, probably just walking through the building the runners are having a firefight in.

One of those moments when all action pauses for just a second as a huge lumbering bearthing kinda wanders through the room as walls disintegrate out from in front of him at the bat of a paw
Neraph
Now to work on the Blood Lord...

He would have been immortalized in the Advanced Magic book with the new Ascension metamagic.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 16 2012, 01:53 PM) *

He would have been immortalized in the Advanced Magic book with the new Ascension metamagic.

Do Tell...
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Neraph @ May 16 2012, 02:53 PM) *

Ya know...you said that and for some reason my first thought was of a character from a game called LoL (League of Legends) named Vladimir the Crimson Reaper...and then I immagioned him following the Bear through, but the action starting back up, bullets flying, and he Sanguine Pools through it unscathed.

....by the gods of all things geeky i am a nerd.. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
5068) no telling a dwarf to HIGH FIVE when playing anything else but another dorf . .
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 16 2012, 03:21 PM) *
Do Tell...

Nosferatu black magician that uses an Ally Spirit (or free spirit) to inhabit himself. My Ally/Inhabitation Spirit Thread first breached the subject. The whole thing has been further refined and can be done with a 400 BP character and only about 40 karma (and, of course, the proper metamagic techniques and metaplanar quests).

The Ascension metamagic that Ancient History was adding into the Advanced Magic Book before he left was obviously based on my work on the Ally/Inhabitation Spirit thread.

I'm actually playing a 450BP version of this character in a game that's held every other Saturday - he has 25 dice for Suggestion and Compulsion and a 10 magic standing in his own Astral Hazing. The character concept is a blend of Prince Arthas/Lich King and a Sith Lord and I discovered it because I wanted to know if I could make Prince Arthas becoming the Lich King in SR... and you can. Deathknights are also really easy, and they can use battle rifles now too.
Bobson
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 16 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Not sure it is. You'd have to ask Bobson for it.

Well, I have been asked, so here he is, in all his reconstructed glory: Bear Who Walks Through Walls, also called Mato (which means bear in Sioux, of course). I couldn't find the character sheet I actually played from, but I had the spreadsheet I'd used to create him in the first place.

I'll freely admit the character was built to be good at two things: Beating things up, and surviving things beating on him. He's not well rounded by any means, and is kindof a pushover against anything mental (provided that whatever's attacking him isn't in reach so that it can survive long enough). That being said, he was still quite fun to play, and he definitely developed into a memorable character.

There are some notes worth discussing, from what I've included at the bottom of that sheet:

Relevant Houserules:
1) Troll metahuman form for a bear shapeshifter only costs 20 additional BP (instead of 30), but the reach and armor bonuses don't stack.
2) The hardliner gloves can apply their weapon focus dice to claw attacks as well, and are designed such that they don't burst when changing forms. (The lined coat just opens up and looks silly on the bear.)
3) Each character was allowed to start with a single item of Availability 20 or less which was relevant to the character. All other items were capped at the usual Availability 12. The item still had to be paid for normally.

Technically, Bear is a 410 BP character with a too-rare item. It's also a bit of a stretch to apply the weapon focus bonus to the claws while in bear form. Take all these under advisement if you intend on playing someone based on Bear. Taking the weapon focus down to force 2 saves 6 BP worth of bonding and nuyen, so you'd just have to shave off 4 more points somewhere to be legal.

Offense:
13 dice for 14P (gloves) or 15 dice for 13P (claws). Give up melee defense to get +2 dice on the roll. Free action to add +6 to damage dealt for purposes of knockdown tests. (That means that you would need AT LEAST Body 8 to stay standing, if he did minimum damage.) Against barriers, it's 28P or 26P. Free action (called shot) to get +1 die to attacking a weapon (use barrier damage). Can attack astral creatures normally.

Bear isn't the deadliest character I've seen. Possibly the deadliest in melee, but I remember it being quite possible to get better numbers with guns. That being said, for a while we had a house rule where melee attacks were simple actions instead of complex, and that just made his damage go through the roof. Even after reverting that, there was practically nothing that could stand up to him. Guns crumpled in his fists. The beefiest trolls still have a good chance to fall over when he connects with them. I think at one point he faced down a tank and just ripped it open with his bare claws (no pun intended).

Defense:
4 dice to dodge (ranged attacks). 10 or 12 dice to block (melee attacks). 7/6 armor + 11 body + 2 = 20/19 dice to resist physical damage. Only 2 dice for resisting stun damage that bypasses armor (like spells). Chance to go berserk if damaged. 15 dice to regenerate each turn.

As I mentioned, he's ridiculously vulerable to mental assaults and stunning magic. That also happens to be the kind of thing he can't regenerate from. By the end of the game I'd picked up 3 ranks of the Spell Resistence power, so he wasn't quite as pathetic, but it still wasn't a good defense. On the other hand, it takes a lot to be able to hurt him with standard weapons. Assuming no AP, you have to hit him with a weapon that does at least 5P (after adding your net attack hits) to scratch him. And he heals 4-5 boxes per combat turn, so simply scratching him isn't sufficient. (Especially while he can reach you and break your weapon.) Obviously, many things have AP and do more than 5P damage, but you have to be talking on the scale of "full auto tight burst from an assault rifle" (assuming you hit) or "Panther XXL to the face" to really threaten him. And then you're either far enough way that he can just get behind cover and heal it all back up, or you're close enough that he can close with you (@50m/turn) and render you unable to shoot.

On tunneling:
An average plascrete wall (like most buildings are made of) has 12 armor and 11 structure. By going Full Offense while in troll form, Bear has 12 dice (traded in for 4 successes) + 28 damage. The wall gets 24 dice to resist 32 damage. Buying successes again, the wall will resist 6 of it, leaving 26 to damage the structure. That's enough damage to create a 2-square-meter hole. That's equivalent to 21.5 square feet. A typical door is approximately 3 feet wide, so 21.5 square feet is enough of a hole to create a door 3' wide and 7' tall. In other words, one average blow, taking up a single complex action (which translates to 1 second with 3 initiative passes), is enough to punch a doorway in plasticrete. Bear might have to duck to go through it, but it's good for most other people. Against reinforced concerete (Armor 24, structure 15), on average, Bear will do 20 damage per punch. That's now only enough to create a 1 square meter hole, which is still probably big enough to for a person to crawl through (although probably not for Bear). And he can do that much damage EVERY SECOND. Sure, he may only be moving forward about 10cm a second if he's going through a really thick wall... but that's still almost 20' a minute through anything short of a blast bunker.

And this is where the "walks through walls" part comes from. Originally, the character was just named Mato. He lived in the Sioux nation, spent most of his time being a bear in the woods, and occasionally had some contact with metahumans, trading manual labor for whatever he needed. He didn't have much use for technology, and technology didn't have much use for him (Gremlins 3). Then he got abducted for "research", and woke up in Seattle. I think originally, the plan was that he'd be rescued by the rest of the team, but then we looked at the barrier rules and realized that there really isn't a cell that can hold him. So instead (IIRC) the team met up with him as he was walking through the (sealed!) door of the research lab. They promised to help get him back out of the arcology, so he followed them. After a few more instances of "Wall? What wall?", he got renamed by his team.

It's worth reminding everyone that shapeshifters are primarily the animal, they just can look metahuman. So Bear thought like a bear. Most of the time he was pretty placid, didn't move very fast, and was willing to go along with whatever his team wanted, trusting them to eventually get him out of the bewildering city. He was always interested in food, and didn't have much regard for whatever happened to his clothes after shifting into bear form and back. (The party robbed a clothing store and started carrying spare pants for him. grinbig.gif) He wasn't technically a pacifist, although most of the time he did avoid needless violence. But when he got angry, things started getting torn apart...

Overall, he was a really fun character to play. One of my favorites.

Edit: Fixed link
CanRay
Bears are pretty good folk for the most part. Until you piss one off.

Those Berserk rules that keep referencing "Bear" are spot on for a reason.
jaellot
5069- I'm not allowed to accidentally overlook the "kilo" part of kilometer under the Quake spirit power.
5069a- Seriously, it was an accident guys.
5069b- I am also to never use said spirit power on an eight lane stretch of Interstate highway. Again.
CanRay
5070: Just because Video Games have the "Bad Guy Vendo-Mat", does not mean I should include one in planning games.
5070a: Honestly, what do these guys get paid to go after a one-man mortuary employment program?
Vegetaman
5071: Apparently it is not advised to use your pop-up turret in the middle of rush hour Seattle traffic.
5071a: When Lone Star shows up, because of your previous actions, don't try and crush them into a guard rail or knock them off a bridge...
5071b: Once you have briefly eluded Lone Star, it is also not advisable to drive your GMC 4201 like a battering ram into the gang slum house you are supposed to be "raiding" in the essence of saving time and hiding your vehicle...
5071c: It is also frowned upon to detonate all 30 KG of Compound XII in your vehicle in an attempt to "jump start" your clearing of the gang house, since you figure your vehicle is also too hot to handle anymore

Hey, if Mr. Johnson wanted the house to be left in tact, he should have been more specific. smokin.gif biggrin.gif

However, our 2057 team of Shadowrunners probably didn't get much work from anybody who knew them for quite some time after that...
Smed
5072: I am not allowed to base my socially inept Hacker character on my GM's personality back in college unless I make sure he doesn't figure it out until the game is over,
5072a: if I do base the character on my GM, I must not have the character recreate embarassing scenes from the GM's life back in college.
5072b: Particularly when the GM's wife is in the room and has never heard these stories about her husband.
5072c: When the GM eventually figures out that my character is loosely based on him, I must not object when the new group contact turns out to be my great grandson.
5072d: And this contact is a BTL addicted gay prostitute with a venereal disease.
5073: I am not allowed to notice that the GM's current adventure plot closely matches one he used in a 1st edition D&D game back in 1984.
VykosDarkSoul
5074: I am not allowed to "get a wild hair up my ass" and "streamline" the teams carefully plotted snatch'n'grab.
5074a: No it doesnt matter if it WOULD be more fun my way
5074b: Just because its more fun doesnt mean the team will like it
5075: I am not allowed to be indignant when my team blames me for the death of others for the sake of more fun. (honest, you shoulda seen his face, the troll popped out with the Panther and he was all like "WTF" LOL)
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Faraday @ Dec 1 2011, 07:40 PM) *
Shotgun's better.
Or chainsaws.

Chainsaws are fun...but bad..too much noise!

ATZ
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2012, 05:13 PM) *
5068) no telling a dwarf to HIGH FIVE when playing anything else but another dorf . .

What about a gnome? Or a neotenous elf/human/orc?

QUOTE (Vegetaman @ May 18 2012, 10:04 PM) *
5071: Apparently it is not advised to use your pop-up turret in the middle of rush hour Seattle traffic.
5071a: When Lone Star shows up, because of your previous actions, don't try and crush them into a guard rail or knock them off a bridge...
5071b: Once you have briefly eluded Lone Star, it is also not advisable to drive your GMC 4201 like a battering ram into the gang slum house you are supposed to be "raiding" in the essence of saving time and hiding your vehicle...
5071c: It is also frowned upon to detonate all 30 KG of Compound XII in your vehicle in an attempt to "jump start" your clearing of the gang house, since you figure your vehicle is also too hot to handle anymore

Hey, if Mr. Johnson wanted the house to be left in tact, he should have been more specific. smokin.gif biggrin.gif

However, our 2057 team of Shadowrunners probably didn't get much work from anybody who knew them for quite some time after that...

I trust that he paid you, at least. After all, he was not specific as to how the job got done, only that it got done.

5076: I am not allowed to make an NPC hacker who hacks under the name Rainbow Dash.
5076a: Nor Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie.
5076b: These are reserved for the future possible use of the players.
5077: I am not allowed to steal the players' thunder by making an NPC who's cooler or otherwise more thematically interesting than they are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012