Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
CanRay
3228b: Not allowed to play a character who has the Day Job: Brewery Worker. No one with such a dream job would risk Shadowrunning.
Queek
3229: No more characters with the day job: Pet store attendant. This leads to vioations of almost all of the animal rules
3230: I am no longer allowed to plan out an entire war between the UCAS and the CSA as a player
3230a: I am no longer allowed to -trigger- this war unless I am the GM
3231: I am no longer allowed to create a virus bomb that propagates Bubba the Love Troll sims at BTL quality
3231a: I am sure as hell not allowed to set it up so that the receivers are...well...the receivers of Bubba's love
WhiskeyJohnny
3232: The phrase "Bubba the Love Troll always Tops." may never leave my character's lips
3233: I may not have the Johnson hire paranoid runners to deliver Christmas gifts to orphans - the orphans won't get their toys
3233a: I may not have the Johnson hire any runners to deliver Christmas gifts to orphans - all (surviving) runners are paranoid
3234: I may not turn my stolen/pilfered/legally purchased/illegally purchased Attack Submarine/Boomer into a luxury yacht, no matter how much cash that last run payed
CanRay
3234a: The idea of a Ferrari Armoured Limo from MilSpcTech, however, is allowed.
CanRay
3235: I will not go on Shadowruns Skyclad. Yes, even if I'm playing a Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja Technomancer.
Manunancy
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2011, 08:31 PM) *
3235: I will not go on Shadowruns Skyclad. Yes, even if I'm playing a Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja Technomancer.

3535b : especially if I'm playing a Lesbian Elf Stripper Ninja Technomancer - what would I strip out of if I'm not wearing anything...
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2011, 12:49 AM) *
3228b: Not allowed to play a character who has the Day Job: Brewery Worker. No one with such a dream job would risk Shadowrunning.

3228c: Regarding 3228b, this is understandable if my character background includes irish heritage, as the character would drink all their product.

Irish, I get to make these jokes.
CanRay
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ Jan 27 2011, 07:30 PM) *
3228c: Regarding 3228b, this is understandable if my character background includes Irish heritage, as the character would drink all their product.

Irish, I get to make these jokes.

Irish, I can confirm this joke. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
...3536: I can no longer have a rating 2 contact who is an explosives dealer named "Uncle Jihad".
...3537: I am no longer allowed to have IPE grenades disguised as baseballs.
...3537a: I am no longer allowed to throw an armed IPE baseball grenade to someone and yell "hey, catch!"
CanRay
3536a: "Honest" Achmed's Previous Blo... Used Vehicles is also right out as a contact.
3536b: Maybe an Irish Republican Army In Exile contact can be had.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 27 2011, 11:37 PM) *
3536a: "Honest" Achmed's Previous Blo... Used Vehicles is also right out as a contact.

3536a-1. I am not to try to have Honest Achmed (or any variation thereof) as a Player Character either. We thought that was pretty clear.
CanRay
As an aside, my group (In a different cyberpunk RPG) had a Eastern European Used Car Salesman ("Honest" Vacklav, IIRC) that we got our disposable vehicles from. It made things very difficult when we needed a tire changed, let me tell you.

"Some of these bolts are metric, some are imperial, and some appear to have been made by the Elder Gods because they hurt my eyes to look at!"
Draco18s
Haha, nice.

We had an illusion mage PC who was "Honest Bob of Honest Bob's Used Cars" once.* It was pretty awesome.

*Same player also played the Preacher in a Serenity game who got bored and decided to take up proctology for some extra cash. The engineer and I (the chef) cooked booze. Was the best brew this side of Betelgeuse (amazing rolls followed by GM (poor) discretion netted us some 100 gallons of Tech x5 whiskey). Which we sold about half of for some 500 credits, which had no apparent value because the only upkeep costs we had was fuel, which was entirely covered by whatever odd jobs we took that forced inter planetary travel (thus negating the 300 credits per unit of distance of warp drive usage).
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
3537: I cannot, under any circumstances play a character named Miracle Max as a Surged gnome and take the hunted lvl 3 flag 'Hump R. Dink'.
3537a: Nor can I use this as a cover name for a crack dealer who sells exclusively to children/ mothers with infants in the form of Miracle Max's Baby Formula, Miracle Max's Chocolate Covered pills nor any other pharmaceutical paraphernalia.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
3537b: Nor can I play a character who IS the brute squad.
Teryon
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jan 28 2011, 03:11 AM) *
3537b: Nor can I play a character who IS the brute squad.

Isnt that every combat troll ever designed?

3538: Even if my social dice pool says I *can*, I am not to initiate my own gangs for use as cover during a run on any corp facility
Lansdren
QUOTE (Teryon @ Jan 28 2011, 08:24 AM) *
Isnt that every combat troll ever designed?

3538: Even if my social dice pool says I *can*, I am not to initiate my own gangs for use as cover during a run on any corp facility

Ahh nuts thats one hell of a handy distraction
CanRay
3538a: If I hire the Halloweeners to do something, I should not be surprised if they do something completely and utterly insane and ultra-violent.
3538a-I: Especially if I'm hiring them to do something against the Cops.
Queek
3538b: If I do spontaneously create a gang, I am not allowed to create a gang inspired by A Clockwork Orange
CanRay
3538b-I: Unless it's run by the Free Spirit of Malcolm McDowell.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Queek @ Jan 28 2011, 01:52 PM) *
3538b: If I do spontaneously create a gang, I am not allowed to create a gang inspired by A Clockwork Orange

...I actually had a gang in London patterened after them. They had different "flavours" of Milk+ one which was laced with combat drugs. A number of members were also adepts. They used weighted walking sticks with a steel core as their primary weapon and were experts in dirty brawling. Armour was 3/4 form fit and a styled armoured clothing (yes the Bowler added+1/+1). Not all were from the streets either, many were recruited from the working class, mostly bored youths looking to put a little excitement in their lives. Their income was sustained pretty much by crime against persons and property, usually targeting the well off. Membership was exclusive and had strictures similar to those of a magic group.

The Droogs were the "elite" of hooligan gangs in the Smoke. They also had chapters in the Merseysprawl and Liverpool. A particularly nasty bunch, they were well organised and could even pose a challenge to a runner team. Keep in mind that the UK is an effectively disarmed populace so gunfire would easily attract the attention of the Nats who are a paramilitary force (at least before the crash). Other gangs usually steered clear of them rather then end up on the losing side of a donnybrook.

Of course, their leader was appropriately referred to as "Alex" (more of a title than actual name) and yes, they used the lingo.
Queek
3839: Awakened swallows are no longer to be considered as standard slingshot ammunition for my troll physadept

Edited for number accuracy
Raven the Trickster
WTF? wobble.gif

What brought that one on?
Squiddy Attack
Angry Birds.
CanRay
3840: I am not allowed to rip off Fallout for ideas.
3840a: Especially John Henry Edan!
3840b: Wayne Newton being the shape and form for the spirit of Las Vegas is OK, however.
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2011, 09:14 PM) *
3840b: Wayne Newton being the shape and form for the spirit of Las Vegas is OK, however.

I made the Children of the Atom a cult led by a Radiation shaman ("Madam Curie") in the Redmond Barrens. Ghouls and mutated (meta)humans.
Neraph
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2011, 11:14 PM) *

Chicago, anyone?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 28 2011, 09:44 PM) *
3538b-I: Unless it's run by the Free Spirit of Malcolm McDowell.

Malcolm McDowell's Spirit has a LoS version of paralysing howl. Silence and Stealth don't do anything to protect you. He just LOOKS at you with those eyes.
WhiskeyJohnny
3841: My runner may not be based on Don Giovanni from the Opera "Don Giovanni"
3841a: Even if my runner is a lothario, he has not conquered "...in Spain, already 1,003"
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Feb 7 2011, 07:22 PM) *
3841a: Even if my runner is a lothario, he has not conquered "...in Spain, already 1,003"

3841b: It is not 1,025 "if you count their mothers."
3841c: 'Conquer' never means that.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 7 2011, 12:26 AM) *
I made the Children of the Atom a cult led by a Radiation shaman ("Madam Curie") in the Redmond Barrens. Ghouls and mutated (meta)humans.

...in my RiS campaign, there was an order known as the Cleansing Light in the Balkans that was a group of Toxic (Radiation) Shamans.
WhiskeyJohnny
3842: Even though they would make great fixers, I may not take "The Society of Jesus" (i.e. the Jesuits) as a group contact
3842a: Nor may I have the Pope on speed dial
3842b: Nor may my character be/become the Pope
CanRay
3842c: A Priest is OK.
3842c-I: So is a Rabbi, Buddist Monk, or any other religious member.
3842c-II: God is not a contact, he is someone you pray to when you're under suppression fire from multiple drones.
3842c-II-1: Yes, even atheists. There aren't any in foxholes.
Squiddy Attack
3842c-III: However, there may not be one of each on the team if they ever enter a bar.
Heronator
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 10 2011, 04:36 PM) *
3842c-II-1: Yes, even atheists. There aren't any in foxholes.

Not to derail too heavily, but that's some complete bullshit right there.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Heronator @ Feb 11 2011, 03:37 PM) *
Not to derail too heavily, but that's some complete bullshit right there.

You've never heard that before? There are no atheists in foxholes. I.e. any enlisted man under enemy fire will pray to one or more gods for safety.
Heronator
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 11 2011, 12:45 PM) *
You've never heard that before? There are no atheists in foxholes. I.e. any enlisted man under enemy fire will pray to one or more gods for safety.

No, I've heard the adage. That doesn't stop it from being completely untrue.
Thirty Second Artbomb
3843: I am not allowed to recreate the main characters of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as centaurs, no matter how tempting it might be.

Seriously, it's a really good cartoon. It just doesn't have to be translated into Shadowrun.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Thirty Second Artbomb @ Feb 11 2011, 03:54 PM) *
Seriously, it's a really good cartoon. It just doesn't have to be translated into Shadowrun.

Or more accurately, it should not be translated into ShadowRun.
ProfGast
3844: I am no longer allowed to make a Jewish Orthodox Mage in a team that also consists of an ex-evangelist Face, and a former anointed member of the Order of St. Sylvester.
3844a: If I somehow violate the above rule, we are not allowed to walk into a bar together.

Edited to renumber.
CanRay
QUOTE (Heronator @ Feb 11 2011, 04:47 PM) *
No, I've heard the adage. That doesn't stop it from being completely untrue.

I find that seriously hard to believe. But, hey, I'm a Civvie Puke, what do I know about being under fire? Nothing.
Raiki
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2011, 05:40 PM) *
I find that seriously hard to believe. But, hey, I'm a Civvie Puke, what do I know about being under fire? Nothing.

I'm actually good friends with quite a few atheists who spend quite a bit of time in foxholes. Apparently, while they were being shot at, they were too busy shooting back/diving for cover/avoiding grenades/whatever to find the time to have that religious epiphany everyone thinks they should have.

It's almost as absurd as saying "There are no muslims in foxholes" because, clearly, when you're shot at you *must* find yhwh.

And as a mild appology for continuing the thread derailment:

3844: I am never again to use a MRSI program to synchronize multiple Thor shots. As we've learned, one is generally enough.

~R~

Tyro
QUOTE (Raiki @ Feb 11 2011, 05:52 PM) *
<snip>
3844: I am never again to use a MRSI program to synchronize multiple Thor shots. As we've learned, one is generally enough.

~R~

And if it isn't, more on the same spot generally won't help.
TeknoDragon
3845: I am not to even consider playing a Free Spirit that inhabits a museum-piece T-64, plus has a Prejudice against elves, and addiction: catnip.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Raiki @ Feb 11 2011, 07:52 PM) *

~R~

QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 12 2011, 09:22 AM) *
And if it isn't, more on the same spot generally won't help.

...which is why you have to walk your fire... grinbig.gif

3846: Leela is no longer allowed to go "Ooooh, Pretty" when she blows something up.
Squiddy Attack
3847: No mailing angry Awakened cats to people.
Teryn180
3847b: This also goes for Emerged cats.
CanRay
3846a: Unless it's a really spectacular explosion, or one with a lot of special effects put into it so that it actually is pretty.

3847a: This is more for the cat's safety than the receiver. The Deliveryman comes a distant second as well.

3848: If the act you're about to perform makes a Humanis member go, "Really? That's too much!", it's most likely is TOO far and shouldn't be done.
3848a: Remember the first rule: Thou Shalt Not Get Caught if you break 3848.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 12 2011, 11:28 PM) *
3846a: Unless it's a really spectacular explosion, or one with a lot of special effects put into it so that it actually is pretty.

...well, in her backstory Leela's father was the last in a long line of celebrated pyrotechnicians (fireworks) in Europe. Things that go *boom* are in her blood.

She actually would make her own skyrockets & starburst shells which served as nice diversions and distractions.
CanRay
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 13 2011, 04:35 AM) *
...well, in her backstory Leela's father was the last in a long line of celebrated pyrotechnicians (fireworks) in Europe. Things that go *boom* are in her blood.

She actually would make her own skyrockets & starburst shells which served as nice diversions and distractions.

Which raises the bar that much higher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012