Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
CanRay
Always been partial to the Irish Martial Art: "Bring the family, and their clubs".

Worked for the Black Donnellys.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 10 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Always been partial to the Irish Martial Art: "Bring the family, and their clubs".

Worked for the Black Donnellys.

On a related note:

4067: Just because the song says I can use a "...New Blackthorn/to Banish Ghosts and Goblins" does not mean all Irish are dual natured
redwulf25
Just because I'm a possession tradition magic user doesn't mean I can have my ally spirit inhabit myself.
Stahlseele
Why not?
Halflife
In fact I believe that might be the point
Thal'aen
4068a: I cannot play a rigger and announce loudly over the PA system of each drone/vehicle that I jump into that I am "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
4068b: Neither can I play a possession mage and have my spirits cause their new hosts to make this same announcement whenever they possess a new body.
Sixgun_Sage
4099: I am no longer allowed to demonstrate the effectiveness of a martial art technique at the table, no one really appreciates that I am holding back to keep from damaging them, it still hurts.
CanRay
4100: Explaining about the different types of holsters and the pros and cons of them is just as creepy as knowing about firearms, and I should stop that, too.
4100a: Honestly, my group doesn't care, just shut up.
sabs
4099a - Especially do not do this to your GM, or he will make your character pay with a bullet to the brainpan.
Stahlseele
4100a) I am NOT allowed to Use a Troll Throwing Adept to throw Mortar Shells . .
4100b) No, not even just for the impact damage!
sabs
4100c) What about those all Concrete Bombs?
ggodo
QUOTE (Thal'aen @ May 11 2011, 06:39 AM) *
4098a: I cannot play a rigger and announce loudly over the PA system of each drone/vehicle that I jump into that I am "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
4098b: Neither can I play a possession mage and have my spirits cause their new hosts to make this same announcement whenever they possess a new body.

You FEEL this!
Raven the Trickster
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 11 2011, 11:28 AM) *
4100: Explaining about the different types of holsters and the pros and cons of them is just as creepy as knowing about firearms, and I should stop that, too.
4100a: Honestly, my group doesn't care, just shut up.

If you were in Ontario I'd say come join my group, we have at least 2 players who would be interested (myself being one of them)... of course we don't have a GM right now, so that's something of a moot point.
Tyro
4101: I am not allowed to dose the hostage with LSD (Zen). EVER.
Hagga
4101: I may not attempt to complete every assassination by concealing cluster grenades in sandwiches and leaving platters everywhere the target goes.
Faraday
QUOTE (ggodo @ Apr 10 2011, 11:50 PM) *
4043a: Never ask for the GM's dice, they probably don't like you anyway.

4043b: Don't lend the GM your dice either, it will probably end badly for you.

4102: I will no longer tell the hostage to call in sick to work... and then give him the means to.
CanRay
4103: Using "The Vault Experiments" from the Fallout series is a really, really, *REALLY* good idea that would make my group hate me forever. Even if it is only a Chip Dream.
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 23 2011, 07:15 PM) *
4103: Using "The Vault Experiments" from the Fallout series is a really, really, *REALLY* good idea that would make my group hate me forever. Even if it is only a Chip Dream.

Maybe the aftermath of Vault 34?
CanRay
QUOTE (Tyro @ May 23 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Maybe the aftermath of Vault 34?

Nope, even Vault 21 is out. I mean, can you imagine me with a group like the Boomers?
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 23 2011, 08:40 PM) *
Nope, even Vault 21 is out. I mean, can you imagine me with a group like the Boomers?

21 is my favorite of the few successful Vaults (though Vault City had its charm).
CanRay
Then there's City 101. nyahnyah.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 23 2011, 08:48 PM) *
Then there's City 101. nyahnyah.gif

Summary please?
CanRay
*Sigh* No one wants to read my work... Fan Fiction for Fallout 3 that I started before New Vegas came out. (Damned writer's block.).

The story takes two years to the day after The Lone Wanderer crawled out of Vault 101, and the issues he has to deal with now.

Part of the story is that Vault 101 has opened up, a bit, and now calls itself "City 101". A quote from chapter one, "Overseer Amata had decided that 'Vault City' sounded stupid" was my explanation, and to prevent two Vault Cities.
Tyro
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 23 2011, 09:28 PM) *
*Sigh* No one wants to read my work... Fan Fiction for Fallout 3 that I started before New Vegas came out. (Damned writer's block.).

The story takes two years to the day after The Lone Wanderer crawled out of Vault 101, and the issues he has to deal with now.

Part of the story is that Vault 101 has opened up, a bit, and now calls itself "City 101". A quote from chapter one, "Overseer Amata had decided that 'Vault City' sounded stupid" was my explanation, and to prevent two Vault Cities.

Makes sense. Glad you used Amata.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 24 2011, 05:28 AM) *
(Damned writer's block.)

It is a bitch.
mister__joshua
4104: A 4 man team HALO jumping with a large sack is not a suitable way to try and capture high profile extraction targets, regardless of the fact that you didn't even come up with an escape plan
CanRay
4105: I will never, ever have my IRAiE Operative go, "Eh Laddie, hold me beer and watch this!". Especially seeing as the group knows that his demolitions knowledge is only his "Hobby".
4105a: I will, however, play more LA Noire to get a better Irish Accent so I can get him back into any games I might run in the future.
Christian Lafay
4106: Just because the rules allow it doesn't mean that I am allowed to have a home which should cost 1.15 mil a month for 20 bp.
4106a: In fact, just forget Trust Fund.
4106b: And don't make me make your forget Advanced Lifestyle either.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ May 29 2011, 06:02 AM) *
4106b: And don't make me make your forget Advanced Lifestyle either.

...what?
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 29 2011, 05:14 PM) *
...what?

My GM is thinking about taking away my group's ability to use the Advanced Lifestyle rules from the Companion.
Squiddy Attack
4107: I am not Painis Cupcake.
4107b: I will not eat you.
Tyro
4108: If I torch a place to send a message for my Triad employer, I will first make sure the place is still owned by the person I'm supposed to be sending a message to - and not the Vory O.o
CanRay
4109: Not allowed to make characters based off anything I've seen on MythBusters.
4110: The cast of "Sons of Guns" is veto'd away from me. Even the daughter. ESPECIALLY the daughter!
4111: Shadowrun: The Drinking Game is not suggested with new GMs.
Harboe
4112: No longer allowed to skip legwork.
4113: No longer allowed to shoot w/o using a silencer
4114: No longer allowed to kidnap someone w/o disabling their commlink
4115: Not allowed to use the Corrupt Program to remove Gary Cline's profile from P2.0*.
4116: No longer allowed to hire the rest of the team for a run.
4116-I: Unless I've discussed it with the GM first.
4116-II: If the GM was drunk at the time, it doesn't count.
4117: No longer allowed to buy an emotitoy
4117-I: Especially, if I point out that copying the software for the rest of the team would only be logical.
4118: I should play at least one character who appears suspicious to an enemy mage rolling less than 4 successes on his assenssing.
4118-1: No, not by faking a Magic rating of 30 and Lofwyrs astral signature.
4118-II; How the hell did you get that, anyway?
4118-III: No, the Harlequin is off-limits too.
4119: No longer allowed to use Confidence Man (Way of the Adept) to give teammates a free hit to prevent permanent berserk, making K-10 a lot less dangerous.
4119-I: Cannot interpret Natural Immunity (15BP) to protect me from all negative effects of a drug, but not the benefits.
4120: Not allowed to argue which is more powerful; mages or technomancers**
4121: Not allowed to take Priviledged Name, Born Rich and Trust Fund and make a character called Damien Knight Jr.
4121-I: Rule #4121 now applies to all canon characters.
4122: I am no longer allowed to explain "Bubba the Love Troll" to my GM.****

* Ones rating on P2.0 is degrees of separation from Mr. Cline.
** The Matrix is omni-present, thus always useful. Magic is similarly useful, but with easily-exploitable*** limits.
*** Relatively.
**** In Vice, there's a reference to Bubba!
Draco18s
4121-I: Rule #4141 now applies to all canon characters.

I thinkyou mean 4121 there, not 4141.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ May 29 2011, 01:13 PM) *
My GM is thinking about taking away my group's ability to use the Advanced Lifestyle rules from the Companion.

Why?
CanRay
4143: Time can be better spent doing things other than looking for that place where you couldn't quote Sun Tzu on Dumpshock. Stop doing it.
4143a: Posting about it just wastes more time that could be better spent... Aw, hell with it.
4144: I should keep myself away from the Army Surplus Store. It gives me too many ideas for characters.
4144a: Army Surplus Stores are not the "One-Stop Store" for Shadowrunners. That's Stuffer Shack. The food is just slightly better, even if the clothing is worse.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 30 2011, 05:47 PM) *
Why?

Why else? It can be abused. Easily.

QUOTE (CanRay @ May 31 2011, 01:52 AM) *
4143: Time can be better spent doing things other than looking for that place where you couldn't quote Sun Tzu on Dumpshock. Stop doing it.
4143a: Posting about it just wastes more time that could be better spent... Aw, hell with it.
4144: I should keep myself away from the Army Surplus Store. It gives me too many ideas for characters.
4144a: Army Surplus Stores are not the "One-Stop Store" for Shadowrunners. That's Stuffer Shack. The food is just slightly better, even if the clothing is worse.

Milk Run, baby
James McMurray
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ May 31 2011, 03:13 PM) *

How so?
Headshot_Joe
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ May 31 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Well, if that's the excuse, why not just ban Shadowrun altogether? I have yet to witness a rule or mechanic that can't be horribly abused in some obscure fashion by a determined player...

4125 (numbers back on track, please): I am no longer allowed to ban every exploitable rule or mechanic in Shadowrun... that would be all of them.
CanRay
4125a: Every rule or mechanic can be exploited, that is why Lawyers are still in business. And Rules Lawyers are both good and bad for the industry.
Malbur
4126: I am not allowed to throw grenades if I do not have the "throw" skill.

In two back to back campaigns, we had 3 party members bobble and then fumble with grenades in the seconds before they detonated because they were defaulting to three or fewer dice as nobody had the throw skill.
Harboe
4126-I: Unless I have a higher dicepool when defaulting than any other member of the group cyber.gif
Malbur
QUOTE (Harboe @ Jun 4 2011, 04:16 PM) *
4126-I: Unless I have a higher dicepool when defaulting than any other member of the group cyber.gif

haha to date, I'm the only person who's successfully thrown a grenade in the game. I didn't try either of those two times because the first time I was hacking to keep their car shut down as we throw a knockout gas grenade through a window... and the second time I was across the street on a roof-top ready to open fire with my sniper rifle and watched the whole scene through the scope.
CanRay
4127: I was not in 'Nam. I did not learn "A thing or two from Charlie, don'tchaknow?". That still does not mean I can't stop using boobytraps.
Raiki
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 4 2011, 06:22 PM) *
4127: I was not in 'Nam. I did not learn "A thing or two from Charlie, don'tchaknow?". That still does not mean I can't stop using boobytraps.

After some complex mathematics involving enlistment ages in the 50s-70s, number of years past in the SRverse, the circumference of an averagely sized plucked chicken, and Lofwyr's personal bank account pin #, I have determined that not only is this character possible, but he would be the most amazing cantankerous old man in the shadows.

Really, Fastjack has NOTHING on this guy in 'old geezer' terms.

~R~
CanRay
Funny enough, I have one "Cranky Old Bastard" (You see him in the "Chicago Containment Zone") who is older than FastJack. He literally started his roaring riot or renegade during the New York Teamster's Strike of 2000. I know his exact date of birth, and why he's still able to do what he does.

He considered "Bug City" to have been a vacation, BTW, and whines continually about missing the Renraku Arcology Incident.
Raiki
I'm actually so enthralled by the idea of a grizzled old Nam vet running the shadows in the 2070s, that I'm researching leonization and full-body cyber replacements to see how feasible this character would actually be. I can show you the finished product when I'm done if you like.

~R~
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 4 2011, 10:56 PM) *
Funny enough, I have one "Cranky Old Bastard" (You see him in the "Chicago Containment Zone") who is older than FastJack. He literally started his roaring riot or renegade during the New York Teamster's Strike of 2000. I know his exact date of birth, and why he's still able to do what he does.

He considered "Bug City" to have been a vacation, BTW, and whines continually about missing the Renraku Arcology Incident.

He would have hated out Ren-Arc mission. Looked a lot like the opening scene of The Warriors and it wasn't cheap.
Faraday
4128: I will not enter a fight outnumbered 2 to 1 and forget to use grenades.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012