Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
Draco18s
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 8 2013, 11:05 AM) *
I read that as "Cuckolds them" at first, and I was picturing a professor doctor guy sleeping with their wives LIKE A SIR then rifling through their husband's jacket pockets on his way to creep out the back, LIKE A BAWSS.

I did too...
I did too...
Rubic
2184: No matter what metatype and specialization I choose, even a Free Spirit or Magician, naming my runner Savoir Faire will neither make me omnipresent nor all-knowing.
2184a: It will, however, make me perforated, exploded, de-materialized and de-essenced immediately.
2184b: This applies retroactively, in the case of a name change.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Rubic @ Apr 9 2013, 02:43 PM) *
2184: No matter what metatype and specialization I choose, even a Free Spirit or Magician, naming my runner Savoir Faire will neither make me omnipresent nor all-knowing.
2184a: It will, however, make me perforated, exploded, de-materialized and de-essenced immediately.
2184b: This applies retroactively, in the case of a name change.

2184c: Savoire Faire is, however, an appropriate name for a Bad Guy's sexy female henchman in a James Bond, Spy style campaign.
Rubic
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Apr 9 2013, 09:52 PM) *
2184c: Savoire Faire is, however, an appropriate name for a Bad Guy's sexy female henchman in a James Bond, Spy style campaign.

I... I don't even know how else to respond to that... other than:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXZb7qLKp4
yipe
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 27 2013, 12:30 PM) *
2025: A black troll in a OC Irish Family Tartan should not be encouraged to play the bagpipes.

2185: Thou shalt not confuse Irish and Scottish!

Yes I joined to say that nyahnyah.gif
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Rubic @ Apr 9 2013, 08:33 PM) *

I... I don't even know how else to respond to that... other than:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXZb7qLKp4

The reference was lost on me. Before my time as it were.

QUOTE (yipe @ Apr 9 2013, 09:18 PM) *
2185: Thou shalt not confuse Irish and Scottish!

Yes I joined to say that nyahnyah.gif

Our piping tradition is as ancient and respected as that of any other, chummer. And, frankly, there are piping traditions from all over Europe and even northern Africa and the Persian Gulf.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.
tasti man LH
2186: My PCs are not allowed to have their incantation geas take the form of them reciting Mad Libs. Because stopping in the middle of combat to ask the enemy ganger for an adjective would break the flow of combat, and also be silly (and ground for someone getting shot due to the distraction).
yipe
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Apr 9 2013, 11:12 PM) *
The reference was lost on me. Before my time as it were.

Our piping tradition is as ancient and respected as that of any other, chummer. And, frankly, there are piping traditions from all over Europe and even northern Africa and the Persian Gulf.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

The existence of pipes of this sort which are not Scottish bagpipes is well known to me, the part that made me cringe was "Irish Family Tartan."

And thank you for your kind welcome.
Shadoweyes
Irish family tartans are what happens when the irish pants a whole group of scots and then keep them as trophies.

2187: I am not allowed to start an arms race with the GM. Not in weapons, armour, ammunition, novahot tech, vehicles, or drones. Not even if I have maxed out logic, engineering (mechanical) 6 ( 8 ), fung shuei, and rating ten sprite assistance. Nor am I allowed to pay the party to go on a shadowrun to source the material when the GM tells me no.
binarywraith
2188 : I am not allowed to have a folding chair as a weapon focus, no matter how much orichalcum I have laying around.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
2188: Unless you are a regular participant in Horizon's WWE Franchise.
ChromeZephyr
2i88(b): And your mentor spirit is then required to be Ultimate Warrior.
CanRay
2188c: Alternatively: Macho Man Randy Savage or Andre the Giant.
Misdemeanor
2190. Even if I have 6 Ranks in chemistry and plenty of down time, I am not allowed to make 50 Kg of explosives!!!

(See 96 Even if the rules say that 50 Kg of explosives has a blast radius measured in miles doesn't mean I can buy that much.)

Fingerling
Hi, first post. Long time GM and Forum Ghost. I thought I would start on this thread since it is very fun.

2189: No player is allowed to bribe the GM with "I'll pay you back that money I owe for a little extra karma for my Mage."
Stahlseele
That's not bribing, that's extortion with the threat of not paying owed money if karma is not given . .
bribing is making sure you have just a bit too much of food and drink the GM likes very much for example . .
Ryu
QUOTE (Misdemeanor @ Apr 10 2013, 08:55 PM) *
2190. Even if I have 6 Ranks in chemistry and plenty of down time, I am not allowed to make 50 Kg of explosives!!!

(See 96 Even if the rules say that 50 Kg of explosives has a blast radius measured in miles doesn't mean I can buy that much.)

2190a. I´m not allowed to carry several kg of explosives "just because I can". There is a time and place for going all out however.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 10 2013, 04:09 PM) *
2190a. I´m not allowed to carry several kg of explosives "just because I can". There is a time and place for going all out however.

2190b. I'm not allowed to carry a kilogram of FOOF, even if the GM doesn't know what it is.
Ryu
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 10 2013, 11:13 PM) *
2190b. I'm not allowed to carry a kilogram of FOOF, even if the GM doesn't know what it is.

I didn´t. And no. Search for dioxygen difluoride, that other meaning is wrong (I hope. AND NO!)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 10 2013, 04:28 PM) *
I didn´t. And no. Search for dioxygen difluoride, that other meaning is wrong (I hope. AND NO!)

dioxygen difluoride
That's the stuff.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 10 2013, 02:13 PM) *

2190c: The hacker is not allowed to use the F00f as a data bomb, even if they're old enough to know what a Pentium microprocessor is.
CanRay
2191: I'm not allowed to let the PCs get ahold of Paddy's new, improved bus.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Apr 10 2013, 05:06 PM) *
2190c: The hacker is not allowed to use the F00f as a data bomb, even if they're old enough to know what a Pentium microprocessor is.

You mean the character, or the player?

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2013, 06:12 PM) *
2191: I'm not allowed to let the PCs get ahold of Paddy's new, improved bus.

New, improved PaddyWagon?

You must share the details!
CanRay
Well, for one this, this one won't be disarmed by a shotgun to a window. nyahnyah.gif

The differences are mostly that he used a larger bus design, has better quality control for the air-fuel mixture, and a much, much better ignition system.

Also, the IRAiE higher-ups have ordered Paddy to not use the bus without their DIRECT permission. Currently, they're trying to figure out: One, how to disguise it as a vehicle in Tír na nÓg, and two, how to get it from Seattle to the Tir. Paddy has had to amuse himself with "lesser" explosive devices.
Rubic
QUOTE (Misdemeanor @ Apr 10 2013, 02:55 PM) *

2190d. The answer to "How do I blow up all life, the universe, and everything?" is NOT "C42"!
FuelDrop
2192: I may not take the flaw: severe allergy and the flaw: severe addiction to the same substance.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2013, 09:42 PM) *
Well, for one this, this one won't be disarmed by a shotgun to a window. nyahnyah.gif

The differences are mostly that he used a larger bus design, has better quality control for the air-fuel mixture, and a much, much better ignition system.

Also, the IRAiE higher-ups have ordered Paddy to not use the bus without their DIRECT permission. Currently, they're trying to figure out: One, how to disguise it as a vehicle in Tír na nÓg, and two, how to get it from Seattle to the Tir. Paddy has had to amuse himself with "lesser" explosive devices.

Wouldn't it be simpler to steal a bus in Dublin (or whatever they renamed it to, the flaming faerie bastards,) and convert it into a PaddyWagon, than to try to get one in Seattle to Ireland?

Also, I kind of hope your players steal Paddy's bus, set it off somewhere, leave evidence implicating Paddy and leave something else that points to it being a smear job by the Tir government specifically designed to implicate Paddy and the IRAiE. Because that would be fucking hilarious, and who doesn't want to pull the trigger on that much Boom?

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 11 2013, 03:10 AM) *
2192: I may not take the flaw: severe allergy and the flaw: severe addiction to the same substance.

That sounds hilarious, FD, why can't you do that anymore? smile.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 11 2013, 05:28 PM) *
That sounds hilarious, FD, why can't you do that anymore? smile.gif

I kind of gave it to an NPC the group was relying on.

Hmmm... maybe next time I make a vampire I should give them a severe addiction to tanning...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Apr 11 2013, 05:37 AM) *
I kind of gave it to an NPC the group was relying on.

Hmmm... maybe next time I make a vampire I should give them a severe addiction to tanning...

That's amusing, but not a problem. Just visit tanning salons at night. Or sleep in a tanning bed during the day. Or just use the Alleviate Allergies spell and hit the beach at high noon.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Rubic @ Apr 10 2013, 11:30 PM) *
2190d. The answer to "How do I blow up all life, the universe, and everything?" is NOT "C42"!

Of course not. It's FOOOOOOF.
(Yes, that's 6 oxygens).

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 11 2013, 05:05 AM) *
That's amusing, but not a problem. Just visit tanning salons at night. Or sleep in a tanning bed during the day. Or just use the Alleviate Allergies spell and hit the beach at high noon.

Mmmm...sparkly vampires...
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 11 2013, 08:31 PM) *
Mmmm...sparkly vampires...

Someone pass me the flamethrower.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Shadoweyes @ Apr 10 2013, 03:18 PM) *
2187: I am not allowed to start an arms race with the GM. Not in weapons, armour, ammunition, novahot tech, vehicles, or drones. Not even if I have maxed out logic, engineering (mechanical) 6 ( 8 ), fung shuei, and rating ten sprite assistance. Nor am I allowed to pay the party to go on a shadowrun to source the material when the GM tells me no.

As a GM I encourage this kind of behaviour, you may try... I will let you, then... You will die.
But I won't simply assail you with thorshots or a downpour of dropbears... No I will crush your very soul, I will turn your friends against you, I will turn the world against you, I will hunt you to the corners of the world... But you will not die.
It's only when you put down the dice and resign it will end...
and then! cupcakes and puppies! Yaaaay!

I did start an armsrace with a gm once, Group had issues with PK's and generally destructive behaviour and the gm couldn't get his campaign back on track. So I basically created the anti-christ and made the players so abhorred by their own behaviour that things sorted themselves out...
Subtlety and basic psychology goes a long way...
Ruby
Not sure if it was ever mentioned in the back-pages but....

2193: I am not allowed to give my characters a rare food allergy to a food they are unlikely to encounter in their lives. (the GM actually has banned food allergies since 3rd edition because he deemed it unfair to get so many build points for a negative quality that wouldn't adversely effect the character)
_Pax._
QUOTE (Ruby @ Apr 11 2013, 09:50 PM) *
2193: I am not allowed to give my characters a rare food allergy to a food they are unlikely to encounter in their lives. (the GM actually has banned food allergies since 3rd edition because he deemed it unfair to get so many build points for a negative quality that wouldn't adversely effect the character)

See, as a GM? I'd just assess an increased Lifestyle cost, based on the rarity and severity of the food allergy (and thus, how many points you're getting from it). Say, a %ile equal to the BP you get out of it.

Got a 5BP rare/mild food allergy? 5% increased lifetyle costs, as you have to either buy over-the-counter medication to counter the symptoms (LactAid, etc), and/or buy a few items of food that are a bit more expensive due to specifically being "X free" - like gluten-free icecream an such.

Got a 30BP deadly/common allergy (like folks with allergies to peanuts and "tree nuts") ...? 30% higher lifestyle cost, as you now have to buy very specific foods, occasionally throw out containers or dinnerware if you discover they've been contaminated, etc.

And I might, if it's more than a 5BP "vanity / window-dressing" sort of quality, also add the effects of "distinctive style". "That elf guy who's deathly allergic to seafood - yeah, the one that threw the EPIC hissy fit in the middle of a classy restaurant before the paramedics carted him off, three months ago" is a lot more distinct than "that elf guy", after all.
RHat
QUOTE (Ruby @ Apr 11 2013, 07:50 PM) *
Not sure if it was ever mentioned in the back-pages but....

2193a: If I break rule 2193, I am not to be surprised when the host at the team's safehouse serves that exact food the entire time we're there. And is grievously offended if I refuse to eat it.
Rubic
2194: The following are forbidden to me for versions of the spell [Element] Wall:
a. Hydrogen Fluoride
b. Depleted Uranium
c. Graphene
d. Surprise
e. Danger
f. Style
ShadowDragon8685
Rubic: What about Enriched Uranium? Is that still kosher? You can force the GM to break out the radiation rules. smile.gif
CanRay
2195: I'm not allowed to use the Periodic Table when summoning "Elementals".
RHat
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 11 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Rubic: What about Enriched Uranium? Is that still kosher? You can force the GM to break out the radiation rules. smile.gif

Radiation is a valid element for Toxics...
DMiller
If you're in Seattle ask for Caesium Wall.

Cast it in the rain and watch the fun.

*edited for a better element
Draco18s
QUOTE (DMiller @ Apr 12 2013, 01:51 AM) *
If you're in Seattle ask for Caesium Wall.

Cast it in the rain and watch the fun.

*edited for a better element

If you're anywhere in the universe, ask for a Dioxygen Difloride wall. It's pretty much explosively combustible with almost any material at temperatures slightly above absolute zero.
Kiirnodel
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 12 2013, 08:02 AM) *
2194g: If you're anywhere in the universe, ask for a Dioxygen Difloride wall. It's pretty much explosively combustible with almost any material at temperatures slightly above absolute zero.

There, fixed that for you.
Mongoose
H2F2 is not an element; its a compound. Nice to see you read your XKCD though.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 12 2013, 10:10 AM) *
O2F2 is not an element; its a compound. Nice to see you read your XKCD though.

FTFY. But yes, you're correct.

Also, I'd seen the article on FOOF several months ago, XKCD just pointed it out again.
O'Ryan
2196: If you're playing a radiation mage, and your ally spirit can guard everyone except one from radiation, you are NOT allowed to cast "nuke" at your feet to clear a room of baddies.
2196b: Nor are you allowed to ask for bribes on who makes the "protection from radiation" list while cackling maniacally.
Manunancy
numberless rule - i'm not allowed to bring fumble-fingered hands near any keyboard
Manunancy
numberelessB : especially when only half awake
Ryu
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ May 16 2012, 07:23 PM) *
5067: The phrases "minimum collateral damage" and "entire metroplex" do not belong in the same sentence.

5067a: Unless you're Ares. And the metroplex in question is Chicago.

5067b: Using Earthquake (from a Greater Earth Spirit) to distract gangers is forbidden. "That´s unlikely to happen again" is not a valid defense.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ryu @ Apr 13 2013, 03:49 AM) *
5067b: Using Earthquake (from a Greater Earth Spirit) to distract gangers is forbidden. "That´s unlikely to happen again" is not a valid defense.

My group used Control Weather, once. >..>
We caused a hurricane on Seattle.
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 13 2013, 08:46 AM) *
My group used Control Weather, once. >..>
We caused a hurricane on Seattle.
The group's Shaman (a Ute from Las Vegas) did a Raid Dance in Seattle once. It stopped raining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012