Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 4 2012, 01:32 AM) *
In Soviet Farm, the pigs farm you!

Edit: Nvm, blame the tired, move along.
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Dec 4 2012, 01:33 AM) *
Are they in contact with a guy named Brick Top?

Doesn't people read books anymore?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 4 2012, 12:24 PM) *

I was actually thinking it was a long pig reference.

Also, no. The last one I read was probably six months ago.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 4 2012, 11:24 AM) *

I'm with you. I got the reference immediately, and am saddened that so few others seem to have done so. frown.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Dec 4 2012, 01:24 PM) *
I'm with you. I got the reference immediately, and am saddened that so few others seem to have done so. frown.gif

Just FYI: I understand the reference, but I was never forced to read that book in high school, like so many of my peers.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 4 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Also, no. The last one I read was probably six months ago.

Currently reading Neuromancer, quite enlightening never realised just how much SR drew on it.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 4 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Currently reading Neuromancer, quite enlightening never realised just how much SR drew on it.

Oh, I have a stack of books I want to read, I just never feel like doing it.
As for Neuromancer, I'm not really surprised. It's been mentioned a dozen times or more on this board.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 4 2012, 09:24 AM) *

The thing is, I bet the P(ig)olitburo would get along swimmingly with Mr. Top.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 4 2012, 10:50 AM) *
Oh, I have a stack of books I want to read, I just never feel like doing it.
As for Neuromancer, I'm not really surprised. It's been mentioned a dozen times or more on this board.

It's kind of like how Snow Crash may not actually be a Shadowrun novel, but given the degree to which it informs my (and others') understanding of the genre, it may as well be. At least, that's what I figure.

2098: I may not give my Technomancer a phobia of raw bitmaps.
Halinn
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Dec 4 2012, 09:22 PM) *
2098: I may not give my Technomancer a phobia of raw bitmaps.

Oh, c'mon. You can't just leave that and not provide more info.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 4 2012, 04:52 PM) *

Go read Show Crash.
Halinn
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 4 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Go read Show Crash.

I have. I hoped that #2098 was based on something that happened in a game anyways (also, I was a bit slow in connecting dots)
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Halinn @ Dec 4 2012, 01:52 PM) *

I guess that makes 2098a: I may not unleash namshub personafix chips or BTLs on the population of the sixth world.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 4 2012, 02:10 PM) *
Go read Show Crash.

Haven't you said that before, in this very thread?
Draco18s
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Dec 4 2012, 05:40 PM) *
Haven't you said that before, in this very thread?

I wouldn't be surprised. biggrin.gif
It's a good book.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 4 2012, 04:24 PM) *

Yes but most shifters care more about their animal sides while most of the pigs were happy to be more human like.
Mister Shed
2099a: The uncouth Ork hacker is not allowed to talk to the vampire wannabee Elf ganger mage
2099b: The hacker is especially not allowed to ask him if he sparkles as this causes the mage's head to explode.
_Pax._
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 4 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Just FYI: I understand the reference, but I was never forced to read that book in high school, like so many of my peers.

Nor was I. My mother one day asked me if I'd read that and Orwell's 1984 (I was fifteen or sixteen, I think). When I said no, she told me if I was REALLY an avid reader, that it was sahameful I hadn't even tried either one.

I promptly took myself to the library and read both of them. Then thanked her for pointing me at 'em. smile.gif
ChromeZephyr
Gah, you thanked her for 1984? Your masochism is showing, methinks. wink.gif I'm glad I read it, but would never say I particularly enjoyed it.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Dec 10 2012, 05:32 PM) *
Gah, you thanked her for 1984? Your masochism is showing, methinks. wink.gif I'm glad I read it, but would never say I particularly enjoyed it.

Speaking of 1984, I always felt that the movie version didn't leave much of an impact. Brazil on the other hand... That movie messed me up real good.
StealthSigma
2100: The use of clones is strictly forbidden to present the PCs with a session that is styled like Momento or Irreversible.
DnDer
QUOTE (MortVent @ Nov 14 2012, 10:53 AM) *
2074: I am never ever to use SURGE as a way to break a GM's mind...

I mean what's wrong with an ex playmate bunny turned surged bunny girl sniper/mage assassin?

2075: (same gm... ) Drakes are a no go as well... especially ones prone to using gecko crawl spells to hang above doors to lick cute girls

I saw that played once. Too bad it was a RIFTS game.
Xahn Borealis
2101 (War was beginning): Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's something to be proud of.
CanRay
2102: I will not put "an old man back to sleep" when he's obviously prepared his home for defense far more than any Shadowrunner ever has. ("I didn't know they made Flash-Bang Mines." "It was a surprise to me!" "Guys, um, when does my vision come back?")
Queek
2103: I am no longer allowed to play a female fox shifter specializing in emotional manipulation magic, dances, wears leather armor, and wields a whip. This has led to the mental scarring of PCs in other games and logic dictates that it should apply in Shadowrun as well.
2104: I am no longer allowed to have any sort of leather wearing character with a whip.
2104a: This includes if I swear to only use the whip for Indiana Jones purposes.
2104b: Even if I'm wearing the leather jacket and fedora in character.
2105: I may no longer market Miniature Horses as 'Dwarf-friendly equines'. Minis are not meant for riding. Ponies are.
2106: I am no longer allowed to set runs in zoos involving metaponies that have mystical powers and birthmarks.
2106a: If I do the above run, I am not to include thinly veiled refferences to the bronie players in the group.
2107: I am no longer allowed to encourage a player who made a large van into a mecha to make it into a protomech and have their character be a displaced protomech pilot from Clan Jade Falcon. No matter how bloody hillarious the culture shock would be.
2107a: ...Actually...let's just say no clanners ever. Even though it would be hillarious.
2107b: Same goes for Inner Sphere battle armor jocks.
2108: I am not allowed to use The Secret World as inspirations for runs ever again. It makes them unusually paranoid, even for runners.
ggodo
QUOTE (Queek @ Dec 20 2012, 12:50 PM) *
2108: I am not allowed to use The Secret World as inspirations for runs ever again. It makes them unusually paranoid, even for runners.

I was in that beta. Paranoid is nothing compared to some of those plots.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Dec 10 2012, 08:27 PM) *
2100: The use of clones is strictly forbidden to present the PCs with a session that is styled like Momento or Irreversible.

2109: The Serbian Film is right out as well. Under all possible circumstances.
QUOTE (betterwatchit @ Nov 30 2012, 12:07 AM) *
2090: I can't do an adventure based on any episode of Hustle.
I believe someone already posted that one.
CanRay
2110: I'm no longer allowed to steal the Hackers very expensive equipment from him, strip him naked, leave him in a ghoul den, and can't remember the night before because of a drinking binge.
2111: I'm no longer allowed to blame drunken binges on one PC's addiction to Apps.
2112: I'm no longer allowed to pad the Running List so I can be the one to claim the "Rush" reference.
Queek
2113: I am no longer allowed to encourage my players to engage in IC revelry. Especially right before they are suddenly thrust into the middle of a run.
2114: I am no longer allowed to associate real world companies with megacorporations in SR.
2114a: I am especially no longer allowed to do this when I bear an unhealthy grudge to the real world company for various reasons. Especially the Korean ones, because there is no way in Hell even Aztechnology is as evil as some of them.
2115: Shipping PC/NPC pairings is apparently frowned upon.
2115a: Shipping PC pairings also highly frowned upon.
2115b: We shall not even discuss shipping player pairings. That results in beatings.
CanRay
2115c: Shipping canon characters is frowned upon as well.
_Pax._
2115d: In fact, any 'shipping is frowned upon, period. Just ... don't go there, 'kay?
CanRay
2116: Crossing Shadowrun with My Little Pony will result being beaten.
_Pax._
2116a: Yes, even if it's a Sculpted System in the matrix.
Draco18s
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Feb 10 2013, 10:12 PM) *
2115d: In fact, any 'shipping is frowned upon, period. Just ... don't go there, 'kay?

Man. You guys miss out on so much fun.

(In one game--Not shadowrun--one of the other PCs is my character's daughter. In another game, I'm his character's daughter. In the first game another PC is the other parent, in the second game I believe the mother is an NPC).
Umidori
What, if anything, does that have to do with shippi... no, nevermind, I changed my mind, I don't want to know.

~Umi
Mach_Ten
2117:

Apparently stealing a vehicle, rigging it for Rigger control and then Remote driving it through AAA with the "new Guy" as driver and the remainder of the party invisible in the back seat ... is Frowned Upon not least by lonestar but also by a small angry mob of players

the words "Whaddya mean it HASN'T had the transponder chip changed since we boosted it?!?" shall forever ring in my ears
Draco18s
QUOTE (Umidori @ Feb 11 2013, 12:16 AM) *
What, if anything, does that have to do with shippi... no, nevermind, I changed my mind, I don't want to know.

Shipping, as in relationSHIPing.
CanRay
2118: Ghoul Cab is too fragging useful a group contact!
DamHawke
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Feb 11 2013, 11:12 AM) *

2115e: especially if a GMPC is involved.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (DamHawke @ Feb 14 2013, 02:11 AM) *
2115e: especially if a GMPC is involved.

2115f: Unless it gets the GM a girlfriend. In which case, it's alright.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 14 2013, 02:16 PM) *
2115f: Unless it gets the GM a girlfriend. In which case, it's alright.

What if it's a relationship between "my character" and "my other character from the other game being played by the GM"?
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 14 2013, 04:23 PM) *
What if it's a relationship between "my character" and "my other character from the other game being played by the GM"?

That's just masturbation.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 14 2013, 02:24 PM) *
That's just masturbation.

*Laugh*
Things are actually more complicated than that (my-other-character-played-by-GM will actually be in a relationship with one of the other PCs, but there will be a brief love-triangle involved, I'm almost certain1).

1Based on the fact that the end result is known and my-other-character's preferences, etc. etc.
AStarshipforAnts
Sounds like a fun game. I'm one of those people that furiously ships PCs with just about everything and everyone in game. It makes the game more fun, in my humble opinion.
Draco18s
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Feb 14 2013, 02:36 PM) *
Sounds like a fun game. I'm one of those people that furiously ships PCs with just about everything and everyone in game. It makes the game more fun, in my humble opinion.

It's nuts, I love it. nyahnyah.gif

I can understand people not wanting relationships in their games, but I think it's fun.
Lionhearted
Guuh, I don't want people in a relationship on different sides of the screen. It far to often devolves into preferential treatment, overly harsh treatment to dispel any illusion of the first, really stupid arguments or lack of focus.
Be a couple all you like, just don't bring it to the table... Goes for online games to...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 14 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Guuh, I don't want people in a relationship on different sides of the screen. It far to often devolves into preferential treatment, overly harsh treatment to dispel any illusion of the first, really stupid arguments or lack of focus.

I'd say that that is just bad GMing.

It's almost like a player saying "kidnap some random Joe on the street and interrogate him about the Big Bad" because they're both played by the GM.
Lionhearted
I meant a scenario where the GM and a player is a couple IRL.
Especially when one of them is brought into roleplaying because of the other part, then you got panicked fear of disapproval to content with aswell...
Usually not a problem for me as the girls I enjoy spending time with are batshit insane artsy to begin with.
Draco18s
Ahh. I see.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 14 2013, 01:11 PM) *
Be a couple all you like, just don't bring it to the table... Goes for online games to...

Not always... My wife constatnly complains that she gets no "GM Rights" from me. It is quite hilarious...
Not that she expects any preferential treatment, of course. smile.gif
DamHawke
Having a couple at the table is rather fun to watch though, especially the shenanigans ingame when their characters absolutely hate each other biggrin.gif

Edit: Referring to players only, not with the GM.
Draco18s
QUOTE (DamHawke @ Feb 14 2013, 09:49 PM) *
Having a couple at the table is rather fun to watch though, especially the shenanigans ingame when their characters absolutely hate each other biggrin.gif

Or where it's mono-directional attraction.
Queek
2119: No IC stalking of other PCs. It really freaks them out when your charcter is suddenly more knowledgeable about their actions than the GM is.
2119a: This goes double for OoC stalking. There are laws against that, after all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012