Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 4 2013, 04:14 AM) *
The Boyscouts are categorized as a paramilitary organization by many other countries and some in this one. If you go all the way to Eagle Scout (And some hoop jumping) you can get advanced rank placement in the Armed forces. If you get your hands on some of the old hand books they have such things as trail blazing and intelligence gathering in them.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's law here, I'm going to bring up world war 2, or more specifically Hitler youth. when Nazis where on their last legs they were sending Hitler youth, their version of the boy scouts, first to man and load artillery and then as the situation grew more dire to fight on the front lines.
Meanwhile, across the channel English boy scouts had been learning gorilla tactics, including how to decapitate passing motorcyclists with piano wire, in case the country was invaded.

So yeah, underestimate the boy scouts at your own risk.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2013, 05:45 PM) *
At the risk of invoking Godwin's law here, I'm going to bring up world war 2, or more specifically Hitler youth. when Nazis where on their last legs they were sending Hitler youth, their version of the boy scouts, first to man and load artillery and then as the situation grew more dire to fight on the front lines.
Meanwhile, across the channel English boy scouts had been learning gorilla tactics, including how to decapitate passing motorcyclists with piano wire, in case the country was invaded.

So yeah, underestimate the boy scouts at your own risk.

Gorilla Tactics? They beat their chests and made funny noises while jumping up and down?
smile.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 5 2013, 08:49 AM) *
Gorilla Tactics? They beat their chests and made funny noises while jumping up and down?
smile.gif

You got a better way to fight Nazis? nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2013, 08:01 PM) *
You got a better way to fight Nazis? nyahnyah.gif

Especially Nazi dinosaurs? nyahnyah.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 5 2013, 09:25 AM) *
Especially Nazi dinosaurs? nyahnyah.gif

And my next run is formed.
Draco18s
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 4 2013, 08:37 PM) *
And my next run is formed.

biggrin.gif

I do recommend that game, by the way. The community is small, but every time I boot the game up--regardless of day of the week or the time of day--I can find one server that is nearly full.

It's one of the most balanced asymetrical class based shooters I've ever seen. There is nothing, and I mean nothing as satisfying as pouncing on someone and tearing their throat out, or picking up a goat and hurling it at lethal velocities, or sniping with an anti-aircraft gun.

Of course, the allies (human team nyahnyah.gif) have toys too. Their sniper has a jackrabbit (nothing as satisfying as nomming one of those down--gak! *dead*), one guy has sticky bombs (they totally stick to players), and of course Trigger, the protoceratops and his 50cal. machine gun.
tasti man LH
2042: My players are not allowed to do extensive body/chassis modifications to their vehicles and drones. Otherwise they will start suggesting silly things like turning their GM Doberman drones into...bunny drones.

And I will not hear the end of extensive Monty Python jokes.
Lionhearted
*grin* be grateful you don't house shadow bronies.
tasti man LH
...I actually do.

To the point that he made his character more or less like one of the characters from MLP.

And by the time it came to my attention, it was too late to change it. So I've had to settle for making sure he doesn't pile on too many more MLP refs onto his character.

It still ruffles my scales that he's probably dropping MLP refs that are flying completely under my radar, and I can't do much to stop him...
Stahlseele
*snickers*
tricksy little ponyses! ^^
tasti man LH
....'course, it is so NOT a coincidence that his character is, for some odd reason, the main target of the enemy forces and most certainly NOT the reason why the enemy hacker is constantly trying to hack his cyberware every chance he gets, or why the enemy barghest suddenly decides that it's jonesing for some dryad meat....NOPE! grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
which one is he?
and be glad he forgot about centaurs being playable characters . .
tasti man LH
Oh, he plays as a female dryad street sam infiltrator. Main thing about her is sniping, but at close range has her AA-16 auto-shotty (and that's the other thing: the bastard immediately flung for the Restricted Gear 3 quality just so he get the most powerful shotgun in SR4a, AND rating 3 dermal plating...yet somehow showed restraint and didn't get the Barret sniper rifle).

And oh, my players saw the centaur (including this player in question). They immediately balked at the idea of centaurs having horse heads sitting on top of humanoid torsos. And of course, reminding them if they have a freakin' centaur going on runs in the middle of Seattle, that's gonna get them unwanted attention. (can't really infiltrate an Ares research facility as the custodial staff if one of your guys has four legs and the head of freakin' Epona...unless if they know for a fact that Ares employs centaurs).

(and yes, they did balk at when I showed them pictures of SR merrows. one of my players wondered if the artist who came up with that was high as freakin' kite when they thought up of that)
Stahlseele
So, AJ then? O.o
tasti man LH
...actually it's NOT one of the Mane Six.

It's Octavia.

It's almost a point for point port of the character, right down to her being a cello player, the hairstyle, the color scheme, AND having the damn cutie mark as a tattoo... *eyerolls*

Had to stop him from giving her the pink bow.
_Pax._
... honestly? As long as the character is also viable for Shadowrun in it's own right .... what so bad about copying an MLP character? Especially one that's not in the Mane 6 ...?
CanRay
What's wrong with the bow? You can hide so many interesting things in a bow!
Umidori
It's the "in-thing" to hate on Bronies, Pax. For some people, anything involving ponies is grounds for immediate ire and rage. It's essentially an irrational over-response to the annoyances and perversions of the Brony subculture, who themselves are mostly trolls out to mess with their detractors.

The rest of us can only look on in bafflement as they dance a strange symbiotic waltz, each feeding off the negative energy of the other, a perfect storm of misplaced priorities, petty conflict, and self amusement. They are two sides of a vicious cycle of idiocy.

~Umi
tasti man LH
It mostly pertains to my persnal house-rule: don't make straight rips of existing fictional characters. It's fine if you take elements from existing characters, but not a point for point copy of them.

Admittedly, the guy doesn't RP her exactly like MLP Octavia... She just looks like her in human form.

And the funny thing about the bow, its that I actually suggested to change it into a hair bow (especially since his character has waist-length hair and, y' know, you don't want hair to get in the way of sniping) but he said no, and that he wanted it to be a neck bow, which I soundly rejected.
Stahlseele
i'd have gone for P0N3 myself.
Umidori
I don't recall Octavia being a human living in a future distopia, working as a mercenary criminal, and shooting people with sniper rifles, so I'm not seeing how the character is a point for point copy.

If you really need some justification for the character, tell yourself she's just a deranged human who became obsessed with an ancient televison series that was once the center of a bizarre cult with rumors of brainwashing, and that she's so far gone down the rabbit hole that she actually believes she's a character from the show. I've heard much bigger nonsense in canon SR lore.

~Umi
DamHawke
Is it a bad thing that I recently tried to do something similar? ^^ basically a person who had obsessed with being a pony persona on the Matrix, stuffing similar beetles and such to the point she actually now believes she IS Derpy biggrin.gif stuck in the wrong body.
Draco18s
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 15 2013, 03:31 PM) *
It still ruffles my scales that he's probably dropping MLP refs that are flying completely under my radar, and I can't do much to stop him...

All I can suggest is that you read this abomination of a...fanfiction that I have in my email that is...

Let's just say that it's terrible and horrendous and pairs Twilight Sparkle with Edward (from Twilight).

Then you can start making veiled references to that back at him. It might not be worth the sanity points though.
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 15 2013, 05:15 PM) *
I don't recall Octavia being a human living in a future distopia, working as a mercenary criminal, and shooting people with sniper rifles, so I'm not seeing how the character is a point for point copy.

If you really need some justification for the character, tell yourself she's just a deranged human who became obsessed with an ancient televison series that was once the center of a bizarre cult with rumors of brainwashing, and that she's so far gone down the rabbit hole that she actually believes she's a character from the show. I've heard much bigger nonsense in canon SR lore.

~Umi

...and as I said, despite looking like MLP-Octavia, he doesn't RP her like MLP-Octavia.

Actually, I'd say her personality is more closer to the Major from GitS. Which I'm a bit more ok with.....as long as he doesn't attempt any body-swapping shenanigans. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 15 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Then you can start making veiled references to that back at him. It might not be worth the sanity points though.

Oh, trust me when I say that my plans for invoking Cthulupunk are well underway... grinbig.gif
FuelDrop
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 16 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Oh, trust me when I say that my plans for invoking Cthulupunk are well underway... grinbig.gif

Yeah, about that...
2043: I will not make the holy book from one of my players religions actually a horrors artifact that possesses all who read it and turns them into horrible tentacle monsters.
2043a: I will not then have it stolen from its vault in the church and read, turning the cultists that stole it into horrible monsters just as the group rocks up.
2043b: I am no longer allowed to be surprised when one of my runners tries to get a counterfeit book commissioned at a fraction of the price of doing the run.
2043c: My group is here for the violence. If I want to run a game with investigation, or planning, or any of that namsy pansy 'not-shooting-everyone-we-meet-in-the-face-for-money' stuff I tried to pull then I should go and make a group for that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 15 2013, 10:58 PM) *

Oh trust me, this poorly written fic is more terrible than Cthulhu.
Did I mention that Twilight transforms Spike into Edward, then has sex with him? And then Applejack shows up, and Twilight takes a bite out of her (and she likes it)?
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 16 2013, 12:24 PM) *
Oh trust me, this poorly written fic is more terrible than Cthulhu.
Did I mention that Twilight transforms Spike into Edward, then has sex with him? And then Applejack shows up, and Twilight takes a bite out of her (and she likes it)?

I run CoC and you're inflicting SAN damage by describing this story. Not by forcing me to read it, by TELLING ME OF ITS EXISTENCE.
I'm suddenly looking forwards to the end of days when the great old ones arrive, for I will finally forget this story's blurb.
Draco18s
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 15 2013, 11:30 PM) *
I run CoC and you're inflicting SAN damage by describing this story. Not by forcing me to read it, by TELLING ME OF ITS EXISTENCE.
I'm suddenly looking forwards to the end of days when the great old ones arrive, for I will finally forget this story's blurb.

And now you know why when scoring on a scale of -5i to +5 (any positive rational value is some form of "publishable") that entry got not only a negative, irrational score, but also a number of hazmat decontamination showers. Plus several shots of hard liquor and other, various drugs.

Unfortunately I do not have the score totals on hand any more.

After reading it to the audience at the...award ceremony we asked the audience "How many bronies here are now ashamed of themselves for having heard this?" and a number of hands went up. I'd say about half the room.
tasti man LH
Hmm, reading terrible fan fic as a part of Cthulupunk...interesting. *scribbles that down on his GM notes*
FuelDrop
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 16 2013, 01:43 PM) *
Hmm, reading terrible fan fic as a part of Cthulupunk...interesting. *scribbles that down on his GM notes*

There are some evils greater even than that which lurks beyond.
tasti man LH
And that's why I love the possibilities with extraplanar threats and xenosapient AIs.
Umidori
Gordon Feeman: Horror Stalker?

~Umi
CanRay
2044: I cannot beat up the PCs using the Planet.
2044a: Even if I have proof that you can survive it.
2044b: Even if I AM proof that you can survive it.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 17 2013, 05:05 PM) *
2044b: Even if I AM proof that you can survive it.

Elaborate
CanRay
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 17 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Elaborate
My right arm and what happened to it.
Lionhearted
Edit: Answers have been given
Tyro
I am also curious ^_^
CanRay
If anyone else wants to know, PM me, don't spam this thread.
Queek
2045: No more starting riots at metal festivals due to a PC...um...not being streetsmart and trying to scratch an itch for her new addiction.
2046: If I play a troll or troll-like metatype, I will no longer try and jump from the top of a bus to the top of another bus.
2046a: If I -do- play a troll or troll-like metatype and attempt to jump top of a bus to the top of another bus, I will not be surprised if I fall through the roof of the bus. Especially if it is a tour bus and I fall through into the middle of one or more consenting adults doing...things.
2046b: If I do land through the bus, leaving insurance information is frowned upon by the rest of the team.
2047: Just because Russian cops are easily bribed, I should not insult them by throwing out low-ball estimates.
2048: Having Bubba the Love Troll in the audience of your PC band's performance is a surefire way to make the players to start taking SAN checks.
tasti man LH
2049: The aforementioned dryad sniper's idea of "incapacitating" a target, who the Johnson wants alive and "relatively unharmed", is to load her sniper rifle up with APDS rounds, call shot his leg, and then crit, which blows off the target's leg, and is now in danger of bleeding out.

This particular sniper also snubs at the idea of using less-than-lethal rounds.

And that having your leg blown off is most certainly NOT "relatively unharmed".
CanRay
*Puts Two Rounds Into A Guard's Kneecap* "He'll live."
tasti man LH
^Pretty much his line of thinking. Nvm the fact that the guy's leg is now 5 ft. away from him and not attached to his body, and he's bleeding everywhere...

-2050: I shall refrain from making any obvious jokes related to 1E SR, or from the SR 2050 supplement (despite my continued confusion and disgust at the people clamoring for the Wired Matrix to be brought back).

-2051: Apparently my PCs solution to getting around doing any Social tests (especially if the Face is not with them) is to offer sexual favors to the subjects to "convince" them to do what the PCs need to do.

-2051a: This also allows the team to keep blackmail on the team members performing said sexual favors, in the form of videos of the team mate performing the ol' in-out, because you never know when leverage is needed on said team mate.

-2052: As GM, I am not allowed to keep a "1001 Ways to Die in the Sixth World" list.

-2053: As GM, I am also refrained from creating characters that are essentially Lady of Pain levels of ridiculousness, to make sure my players do not take the most ridiculous levels of pink mohawk in my campaign, nor as an in-game "GM's NO! stamp".

-2053a: Said characters cannot be "You Lose" if the players try to fight them.

-2053b: And despite fighting Great Dragons essentially being "You Lose", that does not mean I should insert GDs in every plausible situation in my campaign.
CanRay
2054: I shall not make fun of SR:R, because it is made of Awesome and Epic!
2055: I should stop making fun of Hestaby working streetcorners.
2055a: If I can't stop (And let's face it, it's me), I should keep it classy.
2055b: If I can't even do that, at least have her Shadowrunning.
2056: Despite how much they beg, I will not let the group have any of the weapons from the "RWBY" series from Rooster Teeth.
2056a: A Red Vs. Blue crossover with Shadowrun should not happen, either.
2056b: Except Griff.
Umidori
2057: Woodchippers and players who have seen the movie Fargo do not mix.

~Umi
CanRay
2057a: Pig Farms and players who have seen Canadian News don't mix. Honestly, it's Shadowrun, find a Ghoul Den!
Queek
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 22 2013, 11:49 PM) *
-2053: As GM, I am also refrained from creating characters that are essentially Lady of Pain levels of ridiculousness, to make sure my players do not take the most ridiculous levels of pink mohawk in my campaign, nor as an in-game "GM's NO! stamp".

-2053a: Said characters cannot be "You Lose" if the players try to fight them.

-2053b: And despite fighting Great Dragons essentially being "You Lose", that does not mean I should insert GDs in every plausible situation in my campaign.

How else are you supposed to keep the Pink Mohawk in check? >.> I mean, I can't rely on FastJack and company. They are too busy causing trouble for others! I mean...I -could- just bribe them with karma and nuyen, but....that's too unsubtle.
Lionhearted
Embrace the pink mohawk and invite ol' Harl to join the fun.
Umidori
How did that one quote go? The only ones who can stop good guys with pink mohawks are bad guys with pink mohawks?

Or maybe it was the other way around? *chin rub*

~Umi
tasti man LH
Considering that by default in SR, "Magic can only be beaten by magic" or "Resonance can only be beaten by the Resonance", I'd say that makes perfect sense. nyahnyah.gif
FuelDrop
2058: Players prefer it when at least one character survives past 10 minutes into the milk run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012