Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now a running list of things I am not allowed to do in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
Stahlseele
Responsible for countless John Doe's
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
It really is amusing that people think I do not actually know who John Browning is...
Quite Entertaining... smile.gif
CanRay
TJ, I had to educate people on who SAMUEL COLT was.

"They talk about him in Supernatural, was he famous or something?"
bobbaganoosh
4171. I am not allowed to convince my GM that WAR! introduced the "Basilisk Mask" that allows you to turn people into stone.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 08:19 PM) *

Yes, but how many people, otherthen you, some other overenthusiastic gun nuts, and some history buffs really want to know?

(Yes, I know who he is, but I fall more on the history side. Just not a fan of guns.)
CanRay
True, but when did I get "Google" tattooed on my forehead in a rainbow of colours? nyahnyah.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 08:33 PM) *
True, but when did I get "Google" tattooed on my forehead in a rainbow of colours? nyahnyah.gif

I know the feeling... I'm "that guy" in every group I've had the (dis)pleasure of calling friends.
Traul
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 12:33 AM) *

When was the last time you got drunk?
CanRay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 19 2011, 06:40 PM) *
I know the feeling... I'm "that guy" in every group I've had the (dis)pleasure of calling friends.
Back before the Internet became popular and available, I at least understood why.
QUOTE (Traul @ Jul 19 2011, 06:54 PM) *
When was the last time you got drunk?
Never been that drunk. Also, I grew up in tattoo parlors. You don't get a tattoo while drunk, your blood is thinned, and the ink runs ruining the work.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 07:33 PM) *

"Here, Let Me Google That For You" might be better.
CanRay
Actually, tattoos aren't the type of bod mods that would look good on me, so none of those.

4172: I am not to use my extensive knowledge of body modification to humiliate my enemies. Unless they've really, really deserved it.
Rubic
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 08:06 PM) *
Actually, tattoos aren't the type of bod mods that would look good on me, so none of those.

4172: I am not to use my extensive knowledge of body modification to humiliate my enemies. Unless they've really, really deserved it.

4172a: In addition, I am forbidden from using the phrase, "penis reduction surgery" henceforth. We're running out of willing GMs.
CanRay
4172b: "Blowing up breast reduction clinics" is not a hobby.
longbowrocks
4173: No longer allowed to exceed great dragon initiative in meatspace with a mundane character. Well, it'll be forbidden soon anyway.
Draco18s
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 19 2011, 10:31 PM) *
4173: No longer allowed to exceed great dragon initiative in meatspace with a mundane character. Well, it'll be forbidden soon anyway.

They've only got a 24. Beating that isn't that much of a challenge. Not that even does you any good.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 19 2011, 06:37 PM) *
They've only got a 24. Beating that isn't that much of a challenge. Not that even does you any good.

Mundane, so pump reaction with enhanced attribute, metagenetic improvement, and gene optimization, then add wired reflexes III and reaction enhancers. If allowed, you can also get the same qualities and geneware for intuition, giving you 13 reaction and 9 intuition. That's a theoretical max that you'll never reach in game, and it's only 22. Not to mention your character has nothing left over (except maybe some nuyen) to invest in other aspects and make that 22 useful.
I'd say that's a bit of a challenge.
Draco18s
Hmm, I suppose so.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 19 2011, 08:31 PM) *

Edge: Go first, simple and done.

Not that it's likely to do a lot of good.
ggodo
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 19 2011, 06:59 PM) *
Mundane, so pump reaction with enhanced attribute, metagenetic improvement, and gene optimization, then add wired reflexes III and reaction enhancers. If allowed, you can also get the same qualities and geneware for intuition, giving you 13 reaction and 9 intuition. That's a theoretical max that you'll never reach in game, and it's only 22. Not to mention your character has nothing left over (except maybe some nuyen) to invest in other aspects and make that 22 useful.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW!?
ggodo

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW!?
longbowrocks
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 19 2011, 07:04 PM) *
Edge: Go first, simple and done.

Not that it's likely to do a lot of good.

Yes, but I want to make them spend edge two or three times. Once to negate my edge, once to make me reroll my hits, and once to go first since I rolled so many dice I would go first anyway. One of the issues with great dragons is that the GM can justify the hand of god use of edge. GD's have less edge than a lucky human, but so many enticing uses for it. The GD can run out of edge in a flash if you play your cards right.
Rubic
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 19 2011, 11:08 PM) *
Yes, but I want to make them spend edge two or three times. Once to negate my edge, once to make me reroll my hits, and once to go first since I rolled so many dice I would go first anyway. One of the issues with great dragons is that the GM can justify the hand of god use of edge. GD's have less edge than a lucky human, but so many enticing uses for it. The GD can run out of edge in a flash if you play your cards right.

Even Great Dragons are restricted to 1 edge per turn.
The Collector
I am no longer allowed to spike my team member's drinks with hard drugs in our meeting with the fixer...
Rubic
QUOTE (The Collector @ Jul 19 2011, 11:13 PM) *
I am no longer allowed to spike my team member's drinks with hard drugs in our meeting with the fixer...

Crap, now I need to completely remake my character!! X(
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 19 2011, 07:13 PM) *
Even Great Dragons are restricted to 1 edge per turn.

*per test, not per turn, and since they can use edge on your tests, it can be over fast.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 05:19 PM) *

Heh... That, too, is entertaining. Ah, Youth... smile.gif
bobbaganoosh

You're forgetting to add in the Red Alert reality amplifier, and the TacNet bonus. You could have a 27 initiative.
Udoshi
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jul 19 2011, 07:31 PM) *

If you absolutely, 100%, ALWAYS need to go first....

thats what Adrenaline Surge is for. Not sure if worth 15 points, but make room for it.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Jul 19 2011, 07:24 PM) *
You're forgetting to add in the Red Alert reality amplifier, and the TacNet bonus. You could have a 27 initiative.

Ok, you got me. I was basically talking about using your matrix initiative in drones to turn it into meatspace initiative, and you got close enough with the tacnet.
10 response (WAR)
9 intuition (hard maxed with all the bonuses)
+1 (customized interface)
+1 (simsense accelerator or booster)
+1 (hot sim)
+6 (response enhancer)
+4 (tacnet)
=32 + whatever drugs you take.
Elfenlied
This one goes to TJ:
4174: No longer allowed to make gun related puns
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 01:06 AM) *
my extensive knowledge of body modification

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a datajack, would you? *gets hopes up*
Traul
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 03:27 AM) *
4172b: "Blowing up breast reduction clinics" is not a hobby.

4172c: it's a crusade.
CanRay
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 20 2011, 02:31 AM) *
This one goes to TJ:
And me?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 20 2011, 12:31 AM) *
This one goes to TJ:

Heh... *pouts* smile.gif
Rubic
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 12:13 PM) *
And me?

You just scare us. Nothing we can really do about that, but cut ourselves and kill gnomes.
CanRay
Well, gotta have some kind of defense against US Invasion...

4173: I am not a defense against US Invasion.
4173a: Not even if I get a muzzle-loaded cannon and point it south.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 06:13 PM) *
And me?

4174: A warm gun is not an acceptable substitute for happiness nyahnyah.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 03:09 AM) *
Well, gotta have some kind of defense against US Invasion...

4173: I am not a defense against US Invasion.
4173a: Not even if I get a muzzle-loaded cannon and point it south.

The more crazy guys who can point a gun south, the better when they eventually come for our water.
CanRay
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jul 21 2011, 03:45 AM) *
4174: A warm gun is not an acceptable substitute for happiness nyahnyah.gif
I'm Canadian. The closest I can get to a warm firearm is a Beatle's song.
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 21 2011, 06:33 AM) *
The more crazy guys who can point a gun south, the better when they eventually come for our water.
Please, water? Electricity and oil. It's the rich folks that run factories that will facilitate the war, and they can afford all the bottled water they could ever want out of purification plants.

'Course, that could be one way to rally the mob.
Rubic
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 09:15 AM) *
I'm Canadian. The closest I can get to a warm firearm is a Beatle's song.Please, water? Electricity and oil. It's the rich folks that run factories that will facilitate the war, and they can afford all the bottled water they could ever want out of purification plants.

In the case that you fail in your invasion, I'm willing to grant you clemency in exchange for national rights to Michael J Fox & several bands to be named at a later date, and a year's supply of Canadian bacon. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 10:15 AM) *
I'm Canadian. The closest I can get to a warm firearm is a Beatle's song.Please, water? Electricity and oil. It's the rich folks that run factories that will facilitate the war, and they can afford all the bottled water they could ever want out of purification plants.

Not to mention that water is pretty easy to purify. Simply putting it through a sand filter increases its quality from "unsafe" to "at least you won't die from dysentery."
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 21 2011, 05:50 PM) *
"at least you won't die from dysentery."

"You're fucked from the radiation, though."
Draco18s
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 21 2011, 12:53 PM) *

If you've got radiation problems due to the world being in a "post nuclear apocalypse" state and you don't have any iodine, you're pretty much fucked anyway.
(i.e. radiation poisoning isn't a problem unless there's been a nuclear accident of some sort)
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 11:15 AM) *
Please, water? Electricity and oil. It's the rich folks that run factories that will facilitate the war, and they can afford all the bottled water they could ever want out of purification plants.

The mob would rally, after all, how long until the US population does outgrow it's sustainable water supply?

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 21 2011, 01:50 PM) *
Not to mention that water is pretty easy to purify. Simply putting it through a sand filter increases its quality from "unsafe" to "at least you won't die from dysentery."

If it's so easy to purify, why are there millions of people all over the world dying from lack of clean water (or lack of any water)?
Draco18s
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 21 2011, 01:03 PM) *
If it's so easy to purify, why are there millions of people all over the world dying from lack of clean water (or lack of any water)?

"Lack of water" is another issue entirely.
"Lack of clean water" has to do with the fact that small-scale cleaning (enough to keep yourself hydrated in the event of the apocalypse) isn't sufficient in the long term1, materials may be hard to come by, and do require some level of education to construct. Large-scale cleaning is out of their ability as a larger economy.

1The method I've mentioned is very basic and you should still boil your water. In order to get "even better" you need pressurized sand, which has to be back-washed daily in order to stay viable. Clean water at the level that we have it in the developed world is only 200 years old, or so (and the problem has only existed as a scientific one since the early 1600s).
Rubic
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 21 2011, 12:23 PM) *
"Lack of water" is another issue entirely.
"Lack of clean water" has to do with the fact that small-scale cleaning (enough to keep yourself hydrated in the event of the apocalypse) isn't sufficient in the long term1, materials may be hard to come by, and do require some level of education to construct. Large-scale cleaning is out of their ability as a larger economy.

1The method I've mentioned is very basic and you should still boil your water. In order to get "even better" you need pressurized sand, which has to be back-washed daily in order to stay viable. Clean water at the level that we have it in the developed world is only 200 years old, or so (and the problem has only existed as a scientific one since the early 1600s).

Poor sanitation as well as socioeconomic issues are also responsible for the lack of clean water in many of the areas suffering as such. Regional power struggles and/or lack of regulations on certain resources or the processing of waste all result in the inability to construct, maintain, and benefit from large-scale water purification and aqueducts, not to mention the other resources (advanced education, medicine, etc.) that such problems limit in those areas.

Edit: There is one method for water purification that works on a daily basis, and requires only the technology to work with glass well enough to create a greenhouse. Construct a decently sealed glass Pyramid with water poured into a container in the middle. The sun will evaporate the water in the middle container, causing it to later condense on the outside walls and flow down to the outside of the pyramid. The water on the outside should be very pure, at the very least clean enough for personal use. However, this goes back to those problems listed earlier
CanRay
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 21 2011, 11:53 AM) *
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 21 2011, 11:55 AM) *
If you've got radiation problems due to the world being in a "post nuclear apocalypse" state and you don't have any iodine, you're pretty much fucked anyway.
(i.e. radiation poisoning isn't a problem unless there's been a nuclear accident of some sort)
IIRC, if you're able to get access to non-irradiated charcoal, and replace it frequently enough, it does absorb enough of the radiation to help with the issue. The major issue with be "Black Rain" and "Nuclear Winter" which will do a big number on trees. frown.gif

And apparently Iodine only helps with certain types of radiation.

4175: I am not allowed to base a campaign around the Fallout world, no matter how much that would rock.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 21 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Edit: There is one method for water purification that works on a daily basis, and requires only the technology to work with glass well enough to create a greenhouse. Construct a decently sealed glass Pyramid with water poured into a container in the middle. The sun will evaporate the water in the middle container, causing it to later condense on the outside walls and flow down to the outside of the pyramid. The water on the outside should be very pure, at the very least clean enough for personal use. However, this goes back to those problems listed earlier

A lot of toxic chemicals, however, will also evaporate and end up in your condensate.
But otherwise, good idea.
Christian Lafay
I want all of you to know that you are invited to my military installation when I take it over. It's in a river with no running water or power. Come. Fort Carroll will be mine, oh yes. It will be mine.
CanRay
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jul 21 2011, 07:43 PM) *
I want all of you to know that you are invited to my military installation when I take it over. It's in a river with no running water or power. Come. Fort Carroll will be mine, oh yes. It will be mine.
I've already had a bunch of folks in Winnipeg outright state: "When the Apocalypse happens, I'm hiding behind you."

One of them even works for the Canadian Armed Forces (Admittedly as a civilian.).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012