Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 15 2014, 03:46 PM) *
Drave is holding his action until they are spotted or the group decides its booking.

Can I do another Matrix Perception check to see if I can find their Smartlink Icons?

Making a Matrix Perception test can be done, at a -2 penalty for trying again as a simple action. Is that what you want to do at 16?
Jack VII
By the time we're rolling initiative, have most of the squatters cleared out?
Lobo0705
Figure at the start of rolling initiative, the squatters are on their way out of the park - they will probably be out of the park completely this combat turn, if not next (they weren't that deep into the park to begin with).

Always Overkill
How many hits do I need?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 15 2014, 05:49 PM) *
How many hits do I need?

Each hit reveals one "random" running silent icon. Since you are looking for "smartlinks" - each hit will reveal one "random" smartlink. Since the only people in the area with smartlinks (besides yourselves) are the three goons, then 3 hits will show you all of them, 2 will give you two of them (determined at random) and one hit will give you one of them (determined at random).

Always Overkill
K, I will do that when my initiative rolls around.
Lobo0705
Ok, so the turn looks like this so far:

IP 1:
Grease 23
Amy 22
Overkill 16 - Matrix Perception for smartlinks
Goon C 13
Jack 12 - Two take aim actions against Goon A
Goon B 9
Goon A 8

Grease and Amy?
Jack VII
OK, I don't remember: Can you gain both the limit and dice pool benefit from Take Aim if you use two consecutive Take Aim actions? Also, is a third Take Aim action required to take advantage of Vision Magnification? I'm sure I have had plenty of time to gain all of them for the first shot, but wasn't sure about subsequent shots.

ETA: Never mind, I found it under the Take Aim description under the actions section (rather than the Ranged Modifiers Section) For clarification, Jack is going to use the Take Aim action twice against Goon A, one to gain the benefit of Vision Mag, the second to gain a +1 Dice Modifier to his attack for his first action in the pass (assuming Goon C doesn't spot us and raise an alert).
DrZaius
Grease will attempt to get an active sensor lock on the target he designated. Take aim as well, if the sensor lock is a simple action.
Jack VII
Sensor Lock is a Simple Action.
Chrome Head
Amy will hold off until one of her allies starts firing or fleeing. She can't communicate or be aware of communications efficiently right now, so she just reacts to what happens.

How far are Goons A and B apart from each other?

ETA: Scratch that she'll actually try to delay the problem with an Influence spell, as was my initial idea before we were rolling initiative.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 15 2014, 08:10 PM) *
Amy will hold off until one of her allies starts firing or fleeing. She can't communicate or be aware of communications efficiently right now, so she just reacts to what happens.

How far are Goons A and B apart from each other?

ETA: Scratch that she'll actually try to delay the problem with an Influence spell, as was my initial idea before we were rolling initiative.

Who are you casting the Influence spell on, and to what effect?
Chrome Head
The goon who had shot and barked orders. I'll try to influence him to believe the illusion. Suggestion: "The super fast runner is an insane magic-user who can dodge bullets and he is running away from the park."

I would cast it at force 4 with a dice pool of 10 (-2 for sustaining the Phantasm spell). Drain 3S against 13 dice.
Lobo0705
Okey Dokey then:

IP 1:
Grease 23 - sensor lock and take aim on Goon B
Amy 22 - cast influence on Goon A
Overkill 16 - Matrix Perception for smartlinks
Goon C 13
Jack 12 - Two take aim actions against Goon A
Goon B 9
Goon A 8

So - Grease:

Perception 4 + Intuition 3 + CR bonus 2 + VR bonus 2 [Sensor 3 +2] -3 dice (metahuman target). Unopposed, since he doesn't know you are there yet.
8d6.hits(5)=1

One net hit. He then takes a Take Aim action, I'm assuming to engage his vision mag

Amy

Magic 6 + Spellcasting 6, -2 for Sustaining a Spell, Natural lowlight vision negates Dim light penalty
10d6.hits (5)=1

Resist Drain
Willpower + Charisma 13 dice vs 3S
13d6.hits(5)=7

Goon A Resists
Logic + Willpower 6 dice
6d6.hits(5)=1

Overkill
Matrix Perception 8d6
8d6.hits(5)=2

Jack
Take Aim to engage vision mag, take aim to get +1 die modifier

Goon C
Communicate
Goon B Communicate & Run
Goon A Communicate & Run

IC post up shortly.
Lobo0705
IP 2:
Grease 13 -
Amy 12 -
Overkill 6 -
Goon C 3
Jack 2 -

Next Actions?
Jack VII
Unless something changes before my initiative, I'll use my two Simple Actions to Take Aim again for an additional +1 dice bonus and a +1 limit bonus. If something happens that requires a shooting solution, Jack will take another Take Aim action for the +1 dice bonus and then fire.
DrZaius
Take aim, and hold, preparing to fire (if I can save half an action like that).
Always Overkill
Frak, I knew I should have gone after there commlinks!
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 15 2014, 09:56 PM) *
Take aim, and hold, preparing to fire (if I can save half an action like that).

You cannot.

You can choose to Delay your action at 13, which basically will let you wait and take your turn later on in the IP with a -1 dice pool penalty.

Remember, if you choose to do anything but take aim or fire, you will lose the take aim action you've already taken.

You could just take aim twice, gaining either +2 dice, or +2 Accuracy, or +1 die and +1 Accuracy, your choice.

Remember that you will act in IP 3 along with Amy, while the others will not.
Always Overkill
I will put a MARK on one of the Goon's Smartlink, gonna brick that fancy popgun.
Lobo0705
Overkill,

Ok - two things. You've got two different guards you've seen - the one who shot at the illusion (Goon A) and the other one next to him (Goon B).

Both are running back toward the firepit - which one are you trying to mark?

In addition, did you mean their smartlink (which would be something in their cybereyes, or glasses) or their SMGs? I think you meant their SMGs themselves, just double checking.
Always Overkill
Gonna aim it at the trigger happy one.

But Smartlink or SMG? Hmm... Hadn't considered that, I just thought that when you target someone's Smartlink it was the part on the gun you aimed for bricking to disable their weapon. So I think I will go for their guns.
Always Overkill

But Smartlink or SMG? Hmm... Hadn't considered that, I just thought that when you target someone's Smartlink it was the part on the gun you aimed for bricking to disable their weapon. So I think I will go for their guns.
Always Overkill

Lobo0705
IP 2:
Grease 13 -
Amy 12 -
Overkill 6 - Hack on the Fly Goon A's SMG
Goon C 3
Jack 2 - Either 2 Take Aim actions to gain total +2 dice and +1 limit (combined with previous take aim actions) or Take Aim for +1 dice and fire short burst w/ +2 dice
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 16 2014, 07:09 AM) *

It's a similar terms thing. The part that is on the weapon is called a smartgun system. The vision enhancement component is called the smartlink.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 15 2014, 09:58 PM) *
You cannot.

You can choose to Delay your action at 13, which basically will let you wait and take your turn later on in the IP with a -1 dice pool penalty.

Remember, if you choose to do anything but take aim or fire, you will lose the take aim action you've already taken.

You could just take aim twice, gaining either +2 dice, or +2 Accuracy, or +1 die and +1 Accuracy, your choice.

Remember that you will act in IP 3 along with Amy, while the others will not.

Let's go +2 dice.

Drz
Chrome Head
Amy will communicate with the spirit. "Have you found anything yet? Do you know how long more it will take you?"

I'm not sure if that's just a free action or something else. With any reminder, she will delay until later in the round.
Lobo0705
IP 2:
Grease 13 - Aim for +2 dice
Amy 12 - Communicate with spirit, Delay Action
Overkill 6 - Hack on the Fly Goon A's SMG
Goon C 3 - Communicate
Jack 2 - Either 2 Take Aim actions to gain total +2 dice and +1 limit (combined with previous take aim actions)

Overkill
Logic 8 + Hacking 6 + Codeslinger 2, - 1 Noise (2 for public grid, 2 for Warrens, - 3 Noise reduction)
15d6.hits(5)=7 reduced to 5 by limit.

SMG resists
Int 3 + FW 2
5d6.hits(5)=0

Success

OS=0

IC post up soon.

BTW, just to confirm:

Jack - not in AR
Overkill - in AR
Amy - Astrally Perceiving
Grease - in VR

Also, Overkill, please post stats & programs for deck. (I am assuming you are using Signal Scrub)
Lobo0705
IP 3

Grease 3
Amy 2
Jack VII
I think I should still be in AR.

ETA: My understanding of Wireless On/Off based on the official forums is that it really only has an impact if your device has a wireless bonus. If that's different, then it significantly changes the point of a commlink & PAN to a Shadowrunner, but I'll go with whatever you come up with. At the baseline though, I think with him having shut everything off (except for his skilljack slaved to Overkill's deck), there's no reason for him not to have slaved his commlink to Overkill's deck. He still needs his commlink on, regardless of the circumstances, in order to communicate.
Always Overkill
A: 6 S: 5 D: 3 F: 5
Programs: Signal Scrub, Hammer, Virtual Machine: Mugger, Decryption
Lobo0705
Here is my understanding of it.

Take any firearm. All firearms have a wireless bonus of providing an ARO that tells you how much ammo you have left, and what type.

If you shut the wireless off, you lose this benefit, but you cannot be hacked.

If you were to walk into somewhere that had a Noise Rating of 3, you would lose the benefit (because the Noise would prevent the signal from your gun from accessing the information and projecting it to you) - but you could still be hacked.

A commlink, however, is either on or off.

If you have it on, you can use it to communicate, regardless of how much noise there is, and you can be hacked, you could also use it to perform a Matrix Search, although obviously you would need to take into consideration the Noise penalties when you do so.

If you have it off, then you can't be hacked, but you can't use it to communicate.

The reason I asked if you were in AR or not is because if you are "focused on AR", then you take a -2 penalty to all non-Matrix actions.

Of course they don't actually define what "focused on AR" means. frown.gif

If you are Astrally Perceiving you take a -2 penalty to all non-magic actions.

I am thinking that if at any point during a Combat Turn you take a Matrix Action while in AR, you would take a -2 to all non-Matrix actions for the rest of the Combat Turn, to represent you being "focused on AR".

So, you can certainly be in AR, I just wasn't sure if you were - and given that you probably aren't going to be taking any Matrix actions, it won't affect your shot.
Chrome Head
Yes Amy is astrally perceiving. Obviously, she might stop if there's a purely astral threat that she wants to get away from.

Jack VII
Isn't the AR penalty only for Perception checks? I saw someone suggest that they would apply the -2 penalty for Perception in AR if you were taking a Matrix Action that was a Complex Action or took two Matrix Actions that were Simple Actions in a Pass (basically, if your entire focus was on doing AR stuff, either one big action or two smaller ones).

ETA: The main point being that I do have my commlink on, slaved to Overkill's cyberdeck if that is what we did. So I would go ahead and be active in AR so that I could receive text messages, video feeds, etc. through my trodenet DNI.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 16 2014, 02:17 PM) *
Isn't the AR penalty only for Perception checks? I saw someone suggest that they would apply the -2 penalty for Perception in AR if you were taking a Matrix Action that was a Complex Action or took two Matrix Actions that were Simple Actions in a Pass (basically, if your entire focus was on doing AR stuff, either one big action or two smaller ones).

ETA: The main point being that I do have my commlink on, slaved to Overkill's cyberdeck if that is what we did. So I would go ahead and be active in AR so that I could receive text messages, video feeds, etc. through my trodenet DNI.

My apologies - yes the penalty is to Perception tests only, sorry bout that.

Either way, you are in AR with the link slaved to Overkill's deck.

Amy or Grease - any more actions this turn?
Always Overkill
Side-topic, but I think after this run I should take another crack at the Club QXT footage of us. If someone was tracking us its the only footage they could find of Overkill with Jack and Grease. Given that its hard to get to and they have only had a day to start tracking us, perhaps they have not come across the footage yet.

If they have found that footage, its just a matter of time before they can draw a direct line between Overkill and Amy to Jack and Grease. Which would mean Nic's location could already be compromised.

Just realizing I should have gone back for it that night... A hacker should clean up after himself better. Cause if they find our location and attack our people at the shop, it will have been on Drave's head.
Always Overkill
BTW: Think I can do enough damage in a single Dataspike with one Mark on him to fully brick his weapon?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 16 2014, 01:27 PM) *
BTW: Think I can do enough damage in a single Dataspike with one Mark on him to fully brick his weapon?

Well, you have a base DV of 7 (with Decryption) + 2 (Hammer) + 3 (Mugger w/1 Mark) = 12 before net hits. Then the total is resisted by Intuition + Firewall (if reduced to 0 net hits, then no damage) then by DR + Firewall.

I think a weapon's Matrix Condition Monitor is 9 or so. Same thing if you're just bricking the smartgun component.
Always Overkill
Alright, if they have started firing by the time Drave Initiative rolls around again, I am going to Dataspike his weapon. If the firing has not yet begun I will put a MARK on the other goon's weapon.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 16 2014, 01:42 PM) *
Alright, if they have started firing by the time Drave Initiative rolls around again, I am going to Dataspike his weapon. If the firing has not yet begun I will put a MARK on the other goon's weapon.

Just a question for my own edification: are you MARKing their firearms or smartgun systems? I've also seen it played where the weapon icon subsumes all of the weapon accessory icons into one icon (same thing with like cybereyes/cyberears and other devices with wireless-enabled accessories).
Always Overkill
Well, I was under the impression that a gun needed a Smartgun system in order to target it wirelessly, as it is one of the only wireless components for a gun. And if you brick the Smartgun system, the weapon is essentially fried.
DrZaius
Are they all grouped up at the fire pit? What's the range?

Thanks,
DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 16 2014, 02:34 PM) *
Well, I was under the impression that a gun needed a Smartgun system in order to target it wirelessly, as it is one of the only wireless components for a gun. And if you brick the Smartgun system, the weapon is essentially fried.

All firearms come with wireless capability by default, unless they're a throwback. It doesn't require having a smartgun system attached to it. As far as the second question, there was a BIG argument about that over on the official forums. For ease of adjudicating, I personally go with all wireless accessories being subsumed into the device icon so that bricking one basically bricks everything, but I'm not sure how Lobo handles it. I think it is pretty elegant that way: it provides the risk of having everything bricked at once while only requiring one slot of your PAN.
Lobo0705
@Grease,

They were about 50 meters away from the firepit at the start of the turn, and they are now about 35 meters away. The two running back are about 3 or 4 meters away from one another.

@Overkill,

I'm fine with the way Jack interprets it. The gun icon would represent the gun, the smartlink, imaging scope, whatever.

Once we get what Grease and Amy want to do, we'll move on to the next combat round.
DrZaius
I will post ic in the morning around 9. The gist is "we need to do something if we're going to do something."
Chrome Head
I don't know what she can do that's especially useful right now. I guess I could delay the inevitable a little with some more magic, but it's not clear what effect it would have.

I posted IC because I figured she would just wait to see how things develop and how the team reacts. She's new at this and won't be the one to engage first in this situation unless told to, for fear of not doing the right thing at the right time, especially given that she's not so sure what she has already done was especially good.
DrZaius
Sorry,

My internet is out. Will try to post when I can

Drz
Always Overkill
I SHOULD be able to brick the SMGs of the 2 goons this next round, perhaps we can plan our escape around that?
Jack VII
I mean... you CAN, but they're going to know they've been attacked (by something non-magical this time) when their guns start snap, crackle, and popping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012