Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
@Jack,

I suppose if you had a talismonger with favorable enough disposition then yes, that could work.

@Grease,

Jack is right, being jumped in would make you unable to really use the fabric as intended. Honestly this particular item is extremely vague.

1) How tight of a "beam" is the boosted signal? Anything in your front 180 degree arc? 90 degree arc? 45 degree arc? Does the signal boost only something directly in front of you - i.e. a signal boost "beam" that is the size of your body in a straight line?

2) What is the range?

3) Is it blocked by anything?
Jack VII
WRT to the Fresnel Fabric, I think you just have to come up with a few rules to make it work.

1) I think the easiest way to handle it is to ignore the details. Just say that due to the way the fabric works, it only allows you to gain the noise reduction benefit when interacting with one specific icon at a time. Since noise tends to fuzz out icons, the wearer could easily tell if they're lined up correctly when the icon comes into clearer focus. I still think it wouldn't work that well in VR unless you're trying to interact with a stationary device (maglock, etc).

2) I wouldn't put a range limitation on it. With that said, there SHOULD be a maximum Rating on it. Somewhere between 3-6 would be appropriate.

3) I don't think it needs to be blocked by anything necessarily. It's just a NR modifier. Other noise modifiers would still be applied, limiting some of the efficacy of the Fresnel Fabric. For instance, trying to interact with a device with Fresnel Fabric through wireless negation paint would include both the bonus from the fabric and the penalty from the paint (as well as whatever material the paint was applied to...).

ETA: Just a head's up. I've got inventory starting around Noon Central Time. I'll pretty much be out of pocket for the rest of the day starting then and half of tomorrow.

Also, not that Jack's there to participate, but I really don't have a suggestion for a street name for Amy. I can't really think of anything appropriate. Maybe Snap? As in, if you mess with one of her friends, she might snap? Not feeling particularly creative on that front.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 31 2014, 11:06 AM) *
@Grease,

Jack is right, being jumped in would make you unable to really use the fabric as intended. Honestly this particular item is extremely vague.

1) How tight of a "beam" is the boosted signal? Anything in your front 180 degree arc? 90 degree arc? 45 degree arc? Does the signal boost only something directly in front of you - i.e. a signal boost "beam" that is the size of your body in a straight line?
2) What is the range?
3) Is it blocked by anything?

My reading of it was "wow- a neat idea. No idea how'd this actually work in the game." I think I'll just avoid it to save everyone the hassle cyber.gif

@Jack / Chrome: Anything else you think Grease should / could get?
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 31 2014, 10:35 AM) *
My reading of it was "wow- a neat idea. No idea how'd this actually work in the game." I think I'll just avoid it to save everyone the hassle cyber.gif

Funny, I felt the same way about Shock Weave. I was going to have it put on the Forearm Guards, but then I decided not to. Seems a bit OP and/or difficult to adjudicate.

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 31 2014, 10:35 AM) *
@Jack / Chrome: Anything else you think Grease should / could get?

One thing we might want to consider (although this is entirely OOC) is what gear we're losing with Overkill leaving. Sure, if we get a replacement decker, they may also be carrying a Signals Intelligence Battalion's complement of jamming devices, but we don't know for sure. With that said, a lot of that stuff (headjammers, etc) might better fit under specialized equipment that we would buy using an advance. I would think Grease might consider something like a White Noise Generator or Bug Scanner though, maybe built into his new suit.

Another Fake SIN? Granted, they're expensive.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 31 2014, 11:40 AM) *
Funny, I felt the same way about Shock Weave. I was going to have it put on the Forearm Guards, but then I decided not to. Seems a bit OP and/or difficult to adjudicate.

One thing we might want to consider (although this is entirely OOC) is what gear we're losing with Overkill leaving. Sure, if we get a replacement decker, they may also be carrying a Signals Intelligence Battalion's complement of jamming devices, but we don't know for sure. With that said, a lot of that stuff (headjammers, etc) might better fit under specialized equipment that we would buy using an advance. I would think Grease might consider something like a White Noise Generator or Bug Scanner though, maybe built into his new suit.

Another Fake SIN? Granted, they're expensive.

Agreed on the jamming stuff. I was also considering getting it built into my "meeting with Mr. Johnson suit"; since that's generally when you need those things the most.

-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 31 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Agreed on the jamming stuff. I was also considering getting it built into my "meeting with Mr. Johnson suit"; since that's generally when you need those things the most.

-DrZ

Yup, most of the characters I have built since R&G came out who are "pros" will buy an Armante with a WNG and Bug Scanner built into it.

ETA: Anyone have any input on my list of stuff? Oh, also @DrZ, it hasn't come up yet, but Stolen Souls has Spoof Chips and Morphing License Plates for vehicles. As with everything in Stolen Souls, the rules are rather vague...
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 31 2014, 10:54 AM) *
Yup, most of the characters I have built since R&G came out who are "pros" will buy an Armante with a WNG and Bug Scanner built into it.
ETA: Anyone have any input on my list of stuff? Oh, also @DrZ, it hasn't come up yet, but Stolen Souls has Spoof Chips and Morphing License Plates for vehicles. As with everything in Stolen Souls, the rules are rather vague...

It doesn't really matter how they work; morphing license plates are something any decent rigger would want.

ETA: I'd also probably want my new gear to have someplace built in to hide my RCC. I know it's about tablet sized (for some completely unknown reason); but it is one of the things that they don't account for in Run & Gun. Maybe similar in size to a Simrig? Maybe it could fit in a "holster"; considering they can hold something up to the size of a SMG?
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 31 2014, 10:03 AM) *
It doesn't really matter how they work; morphing license plates are something any decent rigger would want.

1000 nuyen.gif for a Morphing License Plate (A8)
500 nuyen.gif for a Spoof Chip (A8)

There's also Chameleon Coating (A12), but it's 2,000 nuyen.gif x Body

Not sure about what the COLA modifiers for any of that would be...
Lobo0705
Dr. Z,

A deck is the size of a tablet. An RCC is much bigger.

Page 266
"A rigger command console, or RCC, is like a deck for controlling
drones (or other vehicles and devices). It’s about
the size of a briefcase."

Jack,

Are you looking for input from me on your list of equipment or just from Dr Z. and Chrome?

Also, as far as COLA for the stuff from Stolen Souls, since it is not listed we will call it normal price.

Jack VII
Anyone who has thoughts, really.

I always figured a good disguise for an RCC would be... a briefcase!
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 31 2014, 12:41 PM) *

Probably. One issue is that the areas we've been traveling have made it a poor idea to show up looking particularly well-to-do..

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 31 2014, 12:41 PM) *

Your list seems eminently reasonable, including the drag handle, although the group of weedy elves you hang out with might even have problems with the handle wink.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 31 2014, 12:15 PM) *
Your list seems eminently reasonable, including the drag handle, although the group of weedy elves you hang out with might even have problems with the handle wink.gif

Maybe our new decker will be a troll!
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 31 2014, 11:15 AM) *

I figured it might help out whatever spirit Amy summons to actually do the heavy lifting when Jack gets knocked unconscious.

Although a beefy troll would be a welcome addition to the crew wink.gif

ETA: I had considered maybe picking up a Knowsoft, but I think I'm going to wait to see how much karma we got from the run. Knowledge Skills are pretty cheap, karma-wise.
Lobo0705
Grease's advertisement on Shadowland:

Goblinization-challenged, Disease Free Decker (Drug free is preferable, but if you do have a drug habit, just stay away from my stash and we won't have problems).

Previous experience in a Moving Company (or any other job where you have to carry large objects) recommended.

Those who get motion-sickness in fast moving cars need not apply. Also those who eat in cars. Those who apply product to their hair must provide their own headrest-covering for team-sponsored trips.
Jack VII
^Nice

Candidates with pointed teeth, casting no reflections, and with a disposition toward only operating at night are right out. (I guess that would fall under Disease Free)
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 31 2014, 11:06 AM) *
@Jack,

I suppose if you had a talismonger with favorable enough disposition then yes, that could work.

How about a close friend with loyalty 5, listed as shaman/talismonger, and whom I imagine mostly dealing in simple supplies (like reagents, lodge material, etc.)? Because that would be Hubert wink.gif (ETA: to be fair, I don't know if he'd do any hermetic stuff...)

Otherwise she will do business with the new talismonger "contact" (ETA: found his name, Stingray) for things she can't get from Hubert.

ETA: I like your posting for a decker haha smile.gif

I'll take a closer look at both of your lists this evening to come up with possible suggestions, please go ahead and do the same.

What the focus turns out to be might be meaningful in what is to come, as is how much karma we receive. Looking forward to it smile.gif

ETA2: Hey I wanted to bring up the name issue next in IC and you beat me to it! cyber.gif
DrZaius
Hah- great minds think alike!

I put it out there because I hadn't thought of a good street name for Amy. I'll try to think about it some more this weekend. Since this is your character, I'd prefer we picked something you wanted OOC, and then posted IC about it. That way I'm not saddling you with a nickname you don't like cyber.gif

ETA: The shadowlands ad would also have something about "Flexibility under rapidly developing situations; ability to think on your feet, follow a unique or unfamiliar lead" or something to that effect.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 31 2014, 01:45 PM) *
That way I'm not saddling you with a nickname you don't like cyber.gif

That's part of the fun though, isn't it?

I was trying to think of what distinguishes Amy and the main thing I think about is the rage thing from her totem when she or a friend get injured. So something alluding to her rage, might be appropriate? Snap, Fit, Tantrum, Rash, Red-Eye, Temper...
DrZaius
Angel, Athena, Blindfire, Crash, Hex, Jinx, Nova, Nuke, Phoenix, Scorch, Syren, Tempest, Tripwire, Voodoo, Vortex, Wildfire, Wraith

(Stolen from a much longer list online)

-DrZ

ETA: @Chrome: depending on how much karma we get, you may want to look at new spells / rituals you could get, provided you don't want to bank all your karma to initiate.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 31 2014, 03:51 PM) *
That's part of the fun though, isn't it?

I tend to agree. Part of the fun for me with letting others decide her street name is that we might actually get something related to how she's perceived, which is often how nicknames (and street names) are created, rather than how she wants to be perceived (which is another option, but I want to explore something else). Whatever you come up with is fine. I don't have a problem with any of the stuff either of you posted. I agree with Jack that rage sets her apart, I can also think of how she injured/killed innocents with an inaccurate lightning ball, or how she dangerously used the illusion of a hobo to mislead goons at the park.

About the spells, after discussing with Lobo, we came to the conclusion that Mental Manipulation spells would be house ruled out of the game, which means that she'll get an empty spot to fill before the next run (but I'll try to keep it to something that has a mental flavor; I've been considering analyze truth and mind probe as the top contenders).

I've thought quite a bit about where I'd like to spend karma (got a long list already). Awakened characters tend to have a ton of fun things to spend karma on, of course several spells have made it onto my list. What I do will depend on how much karma we receive (when do we receive karma?) and potentially on what the focus turns out to be.
Lobo0705
Ah - karma yes - you do get that smile.gif

For this adventure I would normally give 8 karma, but I'm going to multiply that by 1.5 to compensate for the PbP format instead of PnP.

So each of you receive 12 karma to spend as you see fit (Grease, you can have that Edge of 2 that you always wanted now wink.gif)

Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 31 2014, 06:10 PM) *
For this adventure I would normally give 8 karma, but I'm going to multiply that by 1.5 to compensate for the PbP format instead of PnP.

And I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are thankful smile.gif

Now I have to think of my options with this karma vegm.gif

Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 31 2014, 07:44 PM) *
And I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are thankful smile.gif

Now I have to think of my options with this karma vegm.gif

Agreed! Karma... lick.gif
Chrome Head
It just occurred to me that we all gained 1 street cred too! nyahnyah.gif
Jack VII
Hmm... Amy's pretty fast too. Nicknames a plenty in those fertile grounds.
DrZaius
Thinking it over, I'm actual partial to Snap. Did you come up with anything else Jack?

-DrZ

ETA: 8 more karma, and I can get grease out of the hole he's dug himself in with his crippling addiction!
Jack VII
I didn't list them, but the "fast" related nicknames are legion: Speedy, Flash, Zip, Rabbit, Quick, Blink, Scooter, etc. I think I'm partial to Snap or Blink. Snap may be best because it is sort of a double entendre hitting both the rage and speed thing.

I think you need 18 Karma, have to succeed at an addiction test, and have to stay clean for 7 weeks to kick your Novacoke habit. The last five weeks of that you're going to be in withdrawal and take a -4 to both Physical and Mental related tests. Honestly, I think you're going to have to go to rehab to beat that deal...

Contemplating my karma spend... I'm considering some mixture of the following:

Deep Karma Thoughts, By Jack VII
[ Spoiler ]
Chrome Head
For Amy, I'm leaning towards taking Intimidation 1 (2 karma) and Edge 2 (10 karma) right now. Intimidation is for flavor, I think that this run has really shown that she doesn't hesitate in those situations, and she's becoming a good sidekick to Grease on that front. Edge is flexible, universally useful, and would have come in handy more than once in this run. It's especially powerful to avoid injuries when you have a large dice pool to dodge like her.

Other things I've been considering (in no particular order):
Con 1 (2)
Disguise 1 (2)
Athletics Group 1 (5)
Skill specialization: Summoning, Binding, Assensing, or Perception (7)
Increase level of Focused Concentration quality (cool.gif
Spellcasting 7 (14)
Initiation: Masking, Flexible Signature, or Centering (13)
Bonding Foci (variable, needs more cash)
Spells (5) such as: Physical Mask, Stealth, Stabilize, Physical Barrier, Stunbolt, Levitate, Increase Agility

As you can see, a lot of great options.

For Jack, it's the opposite, his main abilities are skillwired, which is a problem for growth. One long-term option is to start actually training a primary skill (like a weapon skill or unarmed) and eventually be as good with it as with skillwires, or better, and be able to pump edge into it. It's kind of sad to have such a large edge pool and no primary skill to apply it to.

For Grease, I'd consider breaking up the skill groups and maybe taking a specialization if you want to increase your social abilities (raising intimidation would make sense after this run, too). On the rigger side, you could improve aeronautic mechanics, for example, but it's not super sexy. Edge seems like a very smart choice this time around.
DrZaius
I'm thinking priority 1A is raising his edge. Just to avoid addiction tests another edge will be extremely valuable. Plus, I feel like his luck in this run needs some acknowledgement!

DrZ
Lobo0705
We are still open for free RP for you to take care of the various things you need to - is there anything you need from me?
Jack VII
How do you want us to handle our interactions with NPCs/Contacts? Do you want us to do both sides or do you want to be part of that?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 2 2014, 10:27 AM) *
How do you want us to handle our interactions with NPCs/Contacts? Do you want us to do both sides or do you want to be part of that?

I'm fine either way - if you have questions for them or need to purchase equpment, then we can either go back and forth IC, or you can ask me questions OOC and then incorporate my responses into your posts.

Jack VII
Cool.

Immediately upon leaving the room with the crew, I'm going to drop in on Honeypot, so any guidance on her reaction to the news about Lynx's crew and Renata's final disposition would help me with my post. After that, Jack will head back home for the night. He'll contact Chapel about gear and tickets to the concert the following day.

- I figure the piece of equipment that might be the biggest challenge is going to be the Executive Suite. Given that it is a Custom Fit piece of gear, I think the availability roll mostly deals with setting up an appointment with a skilled tailor. With the way the rules work, I figure I'll eventually get an appointment. If the roll fails, I have to wait 4 days to try again, so I guess it will depend on how much downtime we're taking.

- Recovery from the cybersurgery needed for the datajack implant should be pretty negligible (1 box of P & S assuming it's rounded up).

- I'm heavily leaning towards grabbing Quick Healer and 3 ranks of Small Unit Tactics. The skill training will take Jack 12 days.
Lobo0705
Honeypot doesn't trust Lone Star or the ZDF, so she will express concern that Lynx (and/or the others) could potentially get back on the street for dealing what they know about Biogene.

With regards to Renata, consider her a Loyalty 3 contact of Renata's, so while she will be upset about the loss of her contact she isn't going to be heartbroken about it. I think it if anything it simply reinforces the caution she usually approaches this business and relationships with.

Agreed with the equipment - here are the rolls real fast though:
Datajack [Alpha]: 1,440 (A4)
Forearm Guards: 345 (A6)
Trauma Patch: 550 (A6)
Low-Light Flashlight: 250 (A4)
(Streetline Special) Internal Smartlink: 150 (A6)
(Streetline Special) Gecko Grip: 125 (A6)
(HK-227) Improved Range Finder: 2,500 (A6)
(Colt M23) Foregrip: 125 (A2)
(Colt M23) Bipod: 250 (A2)
(Colt M23) Underbarrel Slide Mount: 625 (A4)
(Helmet) Ultrasound (2): 260 (A5)
120x AR [REG] Rounds: 300 (A2)
40x AR [S&S] Rounds: 400 (A6)
20x SMG [REG] Rounds: 50 (A2)

14d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=5, 14d6.hits(5)=6, 14d6.hits(5)=7, 14d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=6, 14d6.hits(5)=4, 14d6.hits(5)=5, 14d6.hits(5)=6, 14d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=7, 14d6.hits(5)=4, 14d6.hits(5)=2

With the number of successes, I'm pretty confident you will get everything in the normal amount of time (which is just a day or two).

Zoe Executive Suite w/Concealable Holster: 2,487 (A12)

This one we should roll out:
Chapel
14d6.hits(5)=5

Suit
12d6.hits(5)=7

To save time, at 2 days per roll, let's do 5 rolls:

Chapel

14d6.hits(5)=7, 14d6.hits(5)=3, 14d6.hits(5)=6, 14d6.hits(5)=6, 14d6.hits(5)=3

Suit
12d6.hits(5)=5, 12d6.hits(5)=4, 12d6.hits(5)=4, 12d6.hits(5)=4, 12d6.hits(5)=4

As it turns out, he got it on the 2nd try smile.gif

So after 4 days you would have all of your equipment. You'll just have to let me know about what you finally decided to spend your karma on.

With regards to the Datajack, boy have they made cybersurgery a piece of cake after the 3rd edition rules! With the healing rules, you could get Wired 2, for free, walk home, and lay in bed for a couple days and you would be fine!

To whit, that would be 9 boxes of physical damage, so Jack would roll:

First day
12d6.hits(5)=4
2nd day
11d6.hits(5)=4
3rd Day
10d6.hits(5)=4

That is without any first aid or magic either, just laying on his couch after having major invasive surgery replacing his much of his central nervous system, lol. Hopefully they fix that in the Cyber splat book.
Jack VII
OK, I'm going to take SUT (3) and Quick Healer. I'll be going back and forth forever if I don't just make a decision.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 2 2014, 07:11 PM) *
OK, I'm going to take SUT (3) and Quick Healer. I'll be going back and forth forever if I don't just make a decision.

Ok - so the skill takes:

Rating 1 : 1 day
Rating 2 : 2 days
Rating 3: 3 days

Doubled because of the dependents, so 12 days total.
Chrome Head
So here's a number of things I'll need to know to post interactions IC and for of the decisions regarding spending. The meeting with Chapel, I imagine doing normally, back and forth with you IC. Most of the rest can be done rather quickly as downtime stuff.

Amy's going to train (?) Intimidation to 1, and increase edge to 2. This won't take much of her downtime at all, I'm sure. She'll spend a lot of time with Sam, and also Kevin, and she'll go see Hubert as well, walking everewhere as she's used to, and hanging out some with other conspiracy theorists, idealists and dreamers.

She'll be looking for an apartment with decent security (extra secure, if available) for a low-lifestyle apartment, in the Warrens not too far from the places she knows (Jack's place, Hubert's place, her current building, those are all likely dangerous areas). Let me know if it is possible to find something like that.

She'll want to try to set up Sam for some kind of education, whatever is available to the SINless. This is an area of the SR setting I know nothing about, even less so in Denver. I'm thinking maybe matrix classes would make sense? Not great for kids, but Amy can watch over her and make sure she's focused on what is going on, or maybe it's in AR enough that a teacher can actually watch the kids and keep the discipline if needed. Anyway, something to think about, for sure. Amy's willing to pay a reasonable amount for this.

As mentioned before, she's keeping her squatter lifestyle as is (but won't pay for dependents on it anymore), as a backup safehouse.

She'll be looking for someone who would agree to trade her hermetic reagents for shamanic ones at a rate better than 2 for 1. Also, she'll want to buy large amounts of reagents at the best price possible (and she'll try to negotiate for a good price on this). She'll see Hubert for that first, and also compare with what Stingray can offer her. Similarly, she'll first ask Hubert what the focus we've found is, and then Stingray if Hubert doesn't know, but I doubt it. For the record, she'll ask both of them how much they would pay to relieve her of the focus, to get an idea of its market value.

She will ask Chapel to get her a rating 4 fake SIN with rating 4 Magical Use Fake License. That's a 10,800 nuyen.gif base price and two A12 rolls.

Finally, I'll need to think of what would make a good gift for Hubert. If she can afford it, she'll probably buy it. The old ork deserves something significant for preparing her for a shadowrunning career and she wants to show him her appreciation now that she's actually made it.

I think that pretty much covers it. I'll see how these things turn out and how much is left afterwards (depending on how many reagents she ends up buying, but I'm looking for 100s), before deciding how to complete her spending.
Lobo0705
@Everyone

I plan on a month passing in game between Adventure 1 and 2.

@Chrome

Training Intimidation to 1 takes 1 day, doubled for the dependents to 2.

Increase Edge to 2 takes no time

Extra secure in the Warrens means you are paying the 20% lifestyle increase to a local gang - which one will vary depending on whether you want to live near Jack, Hubert, or Amy's current location.

As far as classes for Sam, nothing really outlined in this in any sourcebook, so we will be playing it by ear. No SIN is a big problem. You can't get anything legal, and I can't imagine anyone running any quality education programs for the SINless due to lack of funds. Realistically if you want to get her something good, probably better for her if you get a fake SIN for her - rating 2 would probably suffice. Since you are already getting a rating 4 SIN for yourself, and that 5,000 may be too steep, you can probably get a glorified babysitting service in the meantime.

Reagents: You had 10 Shamanic and 100 Hermetic before the apartment and interrogation. you used 21 reagents between those two scenes. Assume that you used the last 10 Shamanic, and then 22 Hermetic. That leaves you with 78 Hermetic Reagents left. Hubert will exchange those for 58 Shamanic Reagents.

As far as purchasing new Reagents, they are 20 nuyen plus the markup - there isn't a bulk discount. Remember that even a good harvester - Magic 6, Alchemy 6, gets about 2 drams per hour of searching (assuming he is in the right environment) - and that hour exhausts that hectare for 2 days. Hubert certainly doesn't have hundreds on hand, he is busy keeping his community whole with power, food, and medicine, and doesn't have time to devote hundreds of hours to acquire the reagents you need.

You can certainly negotiate, but without the skill, your odds of success against any talismonger are fairly slim.

For the focus, Hubert can identify it for you, it is a Ritual Spellcasting Focus, Rating 1 - so street value of 6600, so the base value of what you could fence that for would be 1650 nuyen.gif +/- hits on any negotiation test.

Glad you mentioned the gift to Hubert - it should be substantial, in addition to the in character background help he provided, in game you will have asked him to:

1) Provide childcare for Sam and Kevin
2) Identify the focus (if you look at page 389 you'll see that he does this for you under the table, but would still charge you what the market would bear for this service)
3) Exchange Hermetic for Shamanic reagents at an unfavorable rate (for him)

None of these justify the listed cost of Loyalty x 1,000 nuyen (all 3 would not be 5,000 let alone 5,000 apiece), but the gift should probably be closer to 1,000 rather than 100 if you know what I mean. Lots of options for you - another generator, equipment for the children, tools, clothing, basically anything necessary for a small community (and cold hard cash doesn't hurt either).

As for the Availability tests for Chapel, here they are, in order the SIN and then the License
14d6.hits(5)=2, 14d6.hits(5)=8

And their rolls
12d6.hits(5)=5, 12d6.hits(5)=3

So the license is available in a short period of time, he'll need to try again for the SIN
Chapel
14d6.hits(5)=5

Gear
12d6.hits(5)=2

So about 4 days for the SIN

So your costs, as far as I can tell are:

Fake Sin Rating 4: 10,000
Fake license for Magic, Rating 4: 800
Squatter Lifestyle, Dangerous Area: 400
Low Lifestyle, Dependents, Extra Secure, Dangerous Area: 2,600
Trodes: 91 (assuming you are still buying them)
Gift to Hubert: putting in 1,000 as a place holder for now

Leaves you with: 10,729

This doesn't include selling the Focus, or buying reagents obviously.

@Jack,

You mentioned getting something for Nic, this would definitely be appropriate given the babysitting he provided (as well as crash space) for the team.

@Grease,

Are you going to attempt to resist the Novacoke bender, or are you voluntarily going to get high at the end of the adventure?
Chrome Head
Thanks for all that!

I'm thinking the following:
Buy Sam a rating 2 SIN: 5,000 (ask Chapel). If that's what it takes to get Sam some kind of decent education, than that's what it'll be. Like I said, I was planning on spending most of what she has, keeping only a few thousands. When you've been dirt poor all your life and just fall on money, you become suddenly very generous.

I'm thinking maybe she can just give Hubert the focus she found. He can sell it for very good profit, hopefully. She will pay back 400 to each of the three other members of the team since she's not using it.

She'll make a donation to Chomsky's endeavors of 500, out of principle, because she can finally afford doing that. She'll do it in person when she sees him IC.

Total: 10,729 - 200 more for the gift to Hubert - 500 for Chomsky - 5,000 for Sam = 5,029. Oh for trodes I think she can use Jack's that he won't need anymore (he offered iirc), so that brings the total back up to 5,120

That's a nice amount. She can spend more of it.

She'll spend at least 400 more partying, buying people meals, donating, paying back small debts, and the like, and just being generally nice and generous to people around her in the Warrens.

She'll look for things that she might want, too, on top of what the new lifestyle will have allowed her to get for herself and Sam. Including things useful during a run. More on this tomorrow.
Jack VII
Yes, Amy is welcome to my trodes if she wants them. If I need to pay some amount to have them removed from my helmet so they're reusable, let me know the cost and I'll add it to the cost of having the Ultrasound sensor installed in its place. Obviously, if it is more expensive than trodes themselves, Amy will just have to buy new ones.

Since Nic loves old things and tinkering with stuff, Jack is going to go antiquing and try to find something appropriate, like an old slot-machine or something of that nature. I'll get him that plus a brand new <Insert Skill> Kit that he might want. I'm eyeballing about 750 nuyen.gif if that sounds fair.

ETA: I'm going to wait to post IC again until we decide to move on to the next morning in case Amy or Grease has anymore they want to post.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 3 2014, 07:38 AM) *
Yes, Amy is welcome to my trodes if she wants them. If I need to pay some amount to have them removed from my helmet so they're reusable, let me know the cost and I'll add it to the cost of having the Ultrasound sensor installed in its place. Obviously, if it is more expensive than trodes themselves, Amy will just have to buy new ones.

Since Nic loves old things and tinkering with stuff, Jack is going to go antiquing and try to find something appropriate, like an old slot-machine or something of that nature. I'll get him that plus a brand new <Insert Skill> Kit that he might want. I'm eyeballing about 750 nuyen.gif if that sounds fair.

With regards to the trodes, Nic can do it, figure he has the appropriate skill rating 5, so it would be about 50 nuyen.gif to remove it.

Hmm, as to what type of kit, I'm sure he would love a new Automotive Mechanic Repair kit - 750 nuyen.gif sounds just fine.
DrZaius
I have a lunch I owe Chapel, don't forget, so figure that's ~200 nuyen.gif , or whatever you feel is appropriate.

I will come up with a list of stuff to buy today.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, let me see if I'm reading this correctly:

"Every time you use an addictive substance during (11 — Addiction Rating) weeks in a row, you need to make an Addiction Test. The clock on this keeps ticking even if you skip a week, but every week you go without indulging reduces the Addiction Threshold by 1 (it returns to normal when you use again). If the threshold hits 0, you’re off the hook until you use the substance again."

So since Novacoke has a Rating of 7, I need to take Novacoke 4 weeks in a row to have to resist an addiction test with a threshold of 2 against both mental and physical addiction. I've already taken it at least once this past week (did I end up taking it twice? I honestly don't recall). If I hold out another 2 weeks, my addiction threshold goes down to 0. If I end up taking it 1-2 more weeks in a row, then I will need to make an addiction test against a threshold of 2.

Does that sound right?

Now, since he is moderately addicted, "A craving at the Moderate level occurs roughly every two weeks. If the character experiences withdrawal, he suffers a –4 to all Mental-attribute-based tests (if psychological dependency) or –4 to all Physical-attribute-based tests (if physiological dependency) until the craving is satisfied."

With all that in mind, to manage his addiction he needs a dose once every 2 weeks or so. That minimizes his chance for getting further addicted, but satisfies his mental and physical cravings.

So at minimum, he's probably going to take it when his withdrawal kicks in to avoid the headache (both physical and mental) there. I think a resistance test would be appropriate to see if he goes crazy right away (he is a novacoke head with a ton of cash), but I'd prefer (from a player standpoint) if he kept his nose clean biggrin.gif .

Sound fair?

ETA: @Jack: I don't think Grease has anymore to say, unless Chrome wants to respond directly.
ETA2: Wow, autosofts are pricey! I think I may be able to get away with purchasing less. I've got a bunch of copies of clearsight, Ak-97 targeting, and Electronic Warfare. If I run those on my deck, then I don't need to run them on my Rotodrone, right? With that in mind, I'll probably want to buy [Rotodrone] Manuevering and [Rotodrone] Stealth autosofts, since those are the only ones I don't have already.
ETA3: For repairing RHex, I want to make sure I'm reading this right. So currently he's at 10 boxes of structural damage; is that correct? With that in mind, your primer on the 1st page of the OOC thread says "Structural Damage of 7 or more boxes must be done at a facility or suffer a -4 dice pool penalty." So, presuming I don't want to blow him up before I even start, do I need to gain access to a facility to try and fix him?
Lobo0705
Ok, so basically it works like this:

This week you used. One month will pass in game. Let's just take this one step at at time.

First, you have your initial test to avoid using right after the run. You body isn't craving it, so we'll make it the psychological test of Willpower+Logic

6d6.hits(5)=1

With the Addiction Threshold of 2, it means you use again.

Two weeks go by, and you get a craving. Lets see if you succumb.

Physical Craving
6d6.hits(5)=3
Mental Craving
6d6.hits(5)=2

So you manage to resist the urge.

Now, the way I read it (looking at the graphic on this page

We have our first use, then we wait two weeks, during which you haven't used again, you make your test and pass. You aren't required to test until two weeks later, which means the threshold will have dropped from 2 to 0, and so you don't have to make an Addiction test to see if your Addiction gets worse. However, you do need to see if you have to use again as the craving hits you.

Physical
6d6.hits(5)=2
Mental
6d6.hits(5)=1

So you fail the mental craving that time, meaning you will use again, basically just in time for the next run to start LOL

So you have to use at least 2 doses, or at least 20:nuyen: - you can spend more if you would like.

DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 3 2014, 09:44 AM) *
Ok, so basically it works like this:

This week you used. One month will pass in game. Let's just take this one step at at time.

First, you have your initial test to avoid using right after the run. You body isn't craving it, so we'll make it the psychological test of Willpower+Logic

6d6.hits(5)=1

With the Addiction Threshold of 2, it means you use again.

Two weeks go by, and you get a craving. Lets see if you succumb.

Physical Craving
6d6.hits(5)=3
Mental Craving
6d6.hits(5)=2

So you manage to resist the urge.

Now, the way I read it (looking at the graphic on this page

We have our first use, then we wait two weeks, during which you haven't used again, you make your test and pass. You aren't required to test until two weeks later, which means the threshold will have dropped from 2 to 0, and so you don't have to make an Addiction test to see if your Addiction gets worse. However, you do need to see if you have to use again as the craving hits you.

Physical
6d6.hits(5)=2
Mental
6d6.hits(5)=1

So you fail the mental craving that time, meaning you will use again, basically just in time for the next run to start LOL

So you have to use at least 2 doses, or at least 20:nuyen: - you can spend more if you would like.

Could I edge that 2nd failed test? I don't necessarily want a repeat performance of our last run cyber.gif
Jack VII
Is that a houserule about resisting cravings? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in the rules. I just thought you could decide not to use it and deal with Withdrawal.

ETA: Oh, I see. Each period of the addiction, you have to make an Addiction Test. If you pass, you can ignore the need to take the drug. If you fail, you have to take a hit or suffer withdrawal symptoms.
Jack VII
Stupid double post... I guess we need to iron out what Skillwire addiction is. The book only lists the Rating and Threshold, rather than the type of addiction. I would obviously prefer Physiological, but could see it as a Psychological as well (and with that rationalization, it could be both).
Lobo0705
No Edge allowed on Addiction Tests on downtime - otherwise you would never fail them, would be too easy and have no consequences.

As far as the last test, I don't mean that you have to use RIGHT before the run, LOL, I just mean you will have to satisfy your craving that week. The drug will have worn off before the meet with the Johnson, it is just for the purposes of the Addiction test.

Jack VII
Unless I am missing something, Grease only has 5 dice to roll against addiction for either Physiological or Psychological. One reason I don't like the addiction rules, particularly the no edge ruling. For someone like Grease, it's pretty much a death sentence.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 3 2014, 10:05 AM) *
No Edge allowed on Addiction Tests on downtime - otherwise you would never fail them, would be too easy and have no consequences.

As far as the last test, I don't mean that you have to use RIGHT before the run, LOL, I just mean you will have to satisfy your craving that week. The drug will have worn off before the meet with the Johnson, it is just for the purposes of the Addiction test.

Gotcha- makes sense. Willpower is my next priority!

I've got a shopping list put together, and will post if you can clarify the drone repair rules. Otherwise I have to move some resources around to figure out how to afford RHex 2.0. I will probably just slot the Ak I get back from Overkill into RHex or his replacement with the gas vent still attached.

-DrZ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012