Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 21 2014, 09:51 AM) *
As I stated, if the group is insisting, Grease will go back in a wide loop (probably going west as far as he can before he runs into the CAS sector, then north).

-DrZ

Gotcha - IC post up.
Lobo0705
For your reading enjoyment while the combat plays out, I've included the newest edition of the Tribune to the dropbox.

It is slightly early, in that it would probably be available around 5:00 AM - but I had time to finish it this morning since it has been slow.

Enjoy smile.gif
Jack VII
Interesting read!
Always Overkill
I made the news... rotfl.gif

Another Disappearance near the Rocky Mountain Arsenal
Yet another child has disappeared from the neighborhoods bordering the western side of the Arsenal. The boy, Raymond Del Torro, age 14, was last seen playing with his friends near Leyden Street during the afternoon. When he did not arrive home for dinner, his parents tried to contact him, but were unable to reach him on his ‘link. The parents are offering a ¥ 5,000 reward for his return. His friends say he was seen arguing with a tall elf with long black hair, who is currently being sought for questioning by Lone Star.

Think Ramirez' figured it out yet? For some reason I see him reading it and spraying out his morning coffee.
Always Overkill
Maybe I should shave my head and start walking hunched over with a cane...
Always Overkill
I am going to jack back, (jacked out after I realized I wasn't going to be) in and sweep for any Icons in the vicinity of the pickup. Can I jump onto the local grid first? Knock out that extra -2 penalty on my Matrix Perception roll?

EDIT: I will flesh out my last IC post when I have the results of my sweep.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 21 2014, 12:02 PM) *
I made the news... rotfl.gif

Hahahahaha
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 21 2014, 12:09 PM) *
I am going to jack back, (jacked out after I realized I wasn't going to be) in and sweep for any Icons in the vicinity of the pickup. Can I jump onto the local grid first? Knock out that extra -2 penalty on my Matrix Perception roll?

EDIT: I will flesh out my last IC post when I have the results of my sweep.

The problem is that these guys are using the local grid. So either you get a -2 noise penalty for being on the public grid, or a -2 penalty for hacking across the grids.

ETA: Also, what exactly are you looking for? Commlinks? Guns? Vehicles? Remember that you won't find any if they've shut their wireless off.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 12:19 PM) *
The problem is that these guys are using the local grid. So either you get a -2 noise penalty for being on the public grid, or a -2 penalty for hacking across the grids.

They're using the local or public grid? I am assuming public based on what you said.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 12:24 PM) *
They're using the local or public grid? I am assuming public based on what you said.

Public - that was just a typo frown.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 12:26 PM) *
Public - that was just a typo frown.gif

No problem, just wanted to make sure I understood our matrix house rules.

Also, I guess Jack is keeping a lookout in physical space while the other two are covering down on the astral and matrix. Weapon readied to go, although I guess we should keep the windows down for now.
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 12:19 PM) *

ETA: Also, what exactly are you looking for? Commlinks? Guns? Vehicles? Remember that you won't find any if they've shut their wireless off.

Ahhh I see, I suppose going on the local grid isn't worth taking the action. Checking for Commlinks or Guns, no other way for Drave to know if they have all turned off their wireless (And its the only help I can think to give at the moment.)
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 21 2014, 11:38 AM) *
Ahhh I see, I suppose going on the local grid isn't worth taking the action. Checking for Commlinks or Guns, no other way for Drave to know if they have all turned off their wireless (And its the only help I can think to give at the moment.)

You can at least mitigate the public grid problem with noise reduction (datajack/signal scrub). I don't think our house rule covers cross-grid penalties.

I would think their commlinks would have to be wireless on to work at all from a communications perspective, so they probably have at least one of those on if they want to communicate with their home base (assuming they don't have micro-transceivers).
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 12:43 PM) *
You can at least mitigate the public grid problem with noise reduction (datajack/signal scrub). I don't think our house rule covers cross-grid penalties.

I would think their commlinks would have to be wireless on to work at all from a communications perspective, so they probably have at least one of those on if they want to communicate with their home base (assuming they don't have micro-transceivers).

Yes, their commlinks are on, but more are probably a fair amount of commlinks in this area...
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 12:49 PM) *
Yes, their commlinks are on, but more are probably a fair amount of commlinks in this area...

Huh?

Was a word or two left out in that sentence?
DrZaius
I gotta run out for a few hours for a Dr. appointment. Have Grease drive you anywhere you need to go!

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 21 2014, 12:58 PM) *
Huh?

Was a word or two left out in that sentence?

LOL - this is what happens when I try and work and type at the same time smile.gif

S/B

Yes, their commlinks are on, but more than likely there are probably a fair amount of commlinks in this area...
Jack VII
...and shit, I meant that he was going to keep the window up. LOL. No big deal, it works either way.
Always Overkill
Any commlinks connected to a Smartgun system?
Chrome Head
No we need the Window down!! Amy needs to see the astral at this time, to make sure we aren't attacked again.

What or who is Evanston?
Lobo0705
Ok - search for any Commlinks that have a Smartgun System slaved to them within 100 meters:

7d6.hits(5)=0

None that you can see, no.
Always Overkill
Frakking IC...
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 21 2014, 01:17 PM) *
No we need the Window down!! Amy needs to see the astral at this time, to make sure we aren't attacked again.

What or who is Evanston?

You can have YOUR window down... but it's cool. I need it down anyway since bullets deflect slightly when they go through glass (plus I guess it would hurt Grease, LOL0.

Evanston & Layton are Street names.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 21 2014, 02:17 PM) *

What or who is Evanston?

You can see out of the car - no need to have the windows down. That works both ways, in that mages can see you. They can't see through the roof, but they can see through the windows themselves.

Jack and I talked about this back up in the thread, the idea that not ALL cars are going to be mirrored so that magic can't go through them, although high end security vehicles would.

Evanston is the road that leads to the park.
Jack VII
Just a note, SR5 changed things a bit. IIRC glass used to be opaque on the astral in past editions, but I couldn't find a reference to it anymore. I think the assumption now is that things basically retain their transparency in the astral.
Lobo0705
Ok everyone - time for initiative again smile.gif

Amy
4d6+11=23
Grease
4d6+7=20
Overkill
2d6+9=16
Jack
2d6+7=13

Comet 1:
Driver, Copilot, Back seat
1d6+7=10, 1d6+7=10, 1d6+7=13

Comet 2:
Driver, Copilot, Back seat
1d6+7=12, 1d6+7=10, 1d6+7=11

IP 1
Amy 23
Grease 20 - Drive
Overkill 16
Jack 13
Comet 1 Back seat 13
Comet 2 Driver 12
Comet 2 Back seat 11
Comet 1 Driver 10
Comet 1 Copilot 10
Comet 2 Copilot 10
Jack VII
Is our gear back on and running silent? I don't think we ever made declarations on that...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 01:42 PM) *
Is our gear back on and running silent? I don't think we ever made declarations on that...

I believe that all of you have them on and running silent.
Jack VII
OK, I'm going to take what I figure will be a complex action to turn around in my seat and get myself settled in to shoot. I don't really see me being able to go from facing forward to turned around and shooting in three seconds.

Free Action to change linked device mode to BF.
Chrome Head
Comets are small cars right? How far apart are they?
Always Overkill
Time to hack a few Mercuries. Hmmmm, what are my options here? Never hacked a vehicle before. Brick them, take control of them?
Lobo0705
@Chrome,

They are the equivalent of Ford Americars - mid size.

They are relatively close together.

@Overkill,

You could try and do either, really.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 03:18 PM) *
They are relatively close together.

Rough estimate in meters?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 21 2014, 03:26 PM) *
Rough estimate in meters?

Somewhere between 5 and 20 meters - hard to tell since they are one behind the other.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 01:30 PM) *
Somewhere between 5 and 20 meters

LOL

ETA: Your original post was far funnier.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 03:30 PM) *
Somewhere between 5 and 20 meters

Hmm.. given that a car is about 3 meters wide, I don't have any idea how many more cars could fit between the two cars other than "between 2 and 7 cars fit in between those two cars"?

Maybe it is the case that in the spur of the moment my character cannot do better than this, but I'm just asking smile.gif

ETA: actually cars are closer to 2m-wide, but you get the point.

ETA2: Maybe my misunderstanding comes from the fact that I imagine them close together if not side by side, I realize now this might not be the case.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 21 2014, 03:32 PM) *
Hmm.. given that a car is about 3 meters wide, I don't have any idea how many more cars could fit between the two cars other than "between 2 and 7 cars fit in between those two cars"?

Maybe it is the case that in the spur of the moment my character cannot do better than this, but I'm just asking smile.gif

Ah, I see the issue - they aren't side by side, they are one in front of the other - so it is basically either 1-3 car lengths behind.

So it is hard to see exactly how far one is behind than the other - especially just given the nature of the situation, they are closing quickly, etc.
Chrome Head
Ok, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the situation here. So are they one in front of the other, roughly?
Jack VII
Judging by the map, aren't they like 200 meters away right now? That might make judging comparative distances pretty difficult.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 21 2014, 02:36 PM) *
Ok, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the situation here. So are they one in front of the other, roughly?

Correct. The lead vehicle is about 200 meters behind you, and the other one is behind it by a car length or three. Part of it is that you have no visual enhancements, so judging relative distance between vehicles moving quickly 2 football fields away on a side street where parked cars also inhibit your vision.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Judging by the map, aren't they like 200 meters away right now? That might make judging comparative distances pretty difficult.

Ninja'd by Jack.

No problem asking questions, by the way - I'm happy to answer them, it just that your character might not get the all the info you would like smile.gif
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 03:39 PM) *
No problem asking questions, by the way - I'm happy to answer them, it just that your character might not get the all the info you would like smile.gif

Yes of course, thanks!

I will check the map more often. Now that I have, I understand what's going on a lot better.

So they're still pretty far, there's no reason to worry about being shot at for now (at least in Amy's mind), and Grease will likely drive faster then them.

Amy will delay her action while staying alert both in the astral and physical planes.
Lobo0705
IP 1
Amy 23 - Delay
Grease 20 - Drive
Overkill 16 - Matrix Perception
Jack 13 - Get into position
Comet 1 Back seat 13
Comet 2 Driver 12 - Drive
Comet 2 Back seat 11
Comet 1 Driver 10 - Drive
Comet 1 Copilot 10
Comet 2 Copilot 10
Jack VII
Not sure when Overkill is going to get back on, but it seems if he's going to try to do anything with the vehicles, his first step is going to probably be a Matrix Perception check to spot their icons?
Lobo0705
Overkill's Perception

7d6.hits(5)=3

IC Post up shortly
DrZaius
Drive sounds like a good action for Grease this round.

Please don't shoot through the windows of my car!

-DrZ
Lobo0705
Ok - Grease attempting something a little crazy:

Extreme Maneuver base threshold 4
Restricted Terrain +2
CR level 2 -2

So, Pilot+Reaction +VR needing 4 successes:

15d6.hits(5)=4

Yeeehaw!

Jack VII
Is this the point where the scene freezes and Waylon Jennings provides some awesome commentary?
Chrome Head
If nothing special happens, Amy will use her delayed action to observe all her astral and physical surroundings in detail, trying to spot anything unexpected.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Is this the point where the scene freezes and Waylon Jennings provides some awesome commentary?

Just for you Jack smile.gif

Amy and Overkill both take one point of Stun damage from the flying commlinks - the commlinks themselves appear unharmed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012