Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Jack VII
Do it as soon as they're all within range. Given it is stun damage, it shouldn't kill the person they want to sacrifice. If we can get it done before they tie them up, they may be able to get out of the way under their own power. I think that might be a better choice than waiting for them to tie the victim up, although having the victim tied up would mean fewer people running around and confusing the situation.

I was thinking we could figure out a way to lay them out and burn them, as if something horrible went wrong with their ritual.
DrZaius
Does everyone on the team have a micro-transceiver and a subvocal mic?

The reason I ask is (relating to Jack's action economy question earlier) could we communicate with one another easier that way, rather than sending messages (which I believe take a simple action?)

-DrZ
Chrome Head
Messages don't take a simple action if you have trodes or equivalent, I believe. Amy has a subvocal and has used it quite a bit, finding typing annoying even in every day life.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 20 2014, 01:35 PM) *
Messages don't take a simple action if you have trodes or equivalent, I believe. Amy has a subvocal and has used it quite a bit, finding typing annoying even in every day life.

It is, just bear in mind that if it is more than a short phrase, it could be longer.

Speaking a short phrase - Free Action
Sending a short phrase through your commlink with DNI - Free Action
Sending a short phrase through your commlink without a DNI - Simple Action

So, if all you are saying is "now!" or "behind you!" or something like that, then it is a free action to do that through a commlink with a DNI.

If you have to say "Head to the corner, then straight up the stairs, you'll see a door on your left." - that would be 3 Free actions - (and you can substitute a Simple Action for a Free action if you wish).

Always Overkill
Sorry for the brief delay, I think I remembered everything, let me know if I left something out or mixed it up at all.
Lobo0705
Made assensing tests for Amy, and she learned the following:

1) 3 of the men in suits are Awakened, and their Magic attribute is lower than hers.
2) The 4th man is mundane
3) Truck is Awakened
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 20 2014, 07:01 PM) *
Made assensing tests for Amy, and she learned the following:

1) 3 of the men in suits are Awakened, and their Magic attribute is lower than hers.
2) The 4th man is mundane
3) Truck is Awakened

Any information about state of mind or cyberware? Also, Amy would assense the victim while she's at it.

ETA: Is there any way to uniquely identify each one of the "four humans wearing suits"?
Lobo0705
None of the 5 have any signs of cyberware.

The state of mind of all of them is a mixture of anticipation and excitement.

Well, it is pitch black outside, so you are relying on your lowlight to provide your vision - so the colors are washed out a little. Two of the men have dark hair, while the other two have light hair. Of the two men with dark hair, both are in dark grey/black suits. Of the two men with light hair, one's hair is longer than the others, and is wearing a dark suit, while the other has short hair and is wearing a light suit. All four are wearing sunglasses.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 20 2014, 07:47 PM) *
None of the 5 have any signs of cyberware.

The state of mind of all of them is a mixture of anticipation and excitement.

Well, it is pitch black outside, so you are relying on your lowlight to provide your vision - so the colors are washed out a little. Two of the men have dark hair, while the other two have light hair. Of the two men with dark hair, both are in dark grey/black suits. Of the two men with light hair, one's hair is longer than the others, and is wearing a dark suit, while the other has short hair and is wearing a light suit. All four are wearing sunglasses.

Do you want to identify which one isn't awakened? Otherwise I'll just pick one at random.
Lobo0705
Sorry - that was my bad - the one with the long blonde hair is the mundane.
Always Overkill
Overkill needs to do a Matrix Perception test to see if I can find and MARK the commlinks of their drivers.

Think I should just MARK and brick the Americar, leaving the van for us to highjack?
DrZaius
I think that makes sense Overkill, although I imagine that's something they'd notice pretty quickly (if our intention is to do so before we attack).

-DrZ
Lobo0705
btw, I'm going to need Overkill's deck config.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 21 2014, 09:30 AM) *
btw, I'm going to need Overkill's deck config.

I need to load up some programs as well I think on my RCC. Can you let us know the environmental conditions, i.e. Spam vs. Static zone?

How far am I from the site? 0-100 meters, or 101-1000 meters?

Thanks,
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 21 2014, 09:35 AM) *
I need to load up some programs as well I think on my RCC. Can you let us know the environmental conditions, i.e. Spam vs. Static zone?

How far am I from the site? 0-100 meters, or 101-1000 meters?

Thanks,
-DrZ

You are between 100 and 1000 meters from the site.

You are also in a static zone 3 - so 3 points of noise for environmental factors.

Also - while I'm thinking of it, there is a background count of 1 in the area, so Amy should have rolled 1 less die while summoning the spirit (not that it mattered, as apparently her sacrifices to Invisible Castle were well received wink.gif)

Just bear in mind that all magical tests going forward will suffer a -1 die penalty. (This affects all Awakened, not just you).
Jack VII
Given the risk of failure, I think I would wait to MARK anything. Maybe time it to MARK the van we need as soon as we hit the grenades. I would hold off on MARKing the Americar. If everything goes according to plan, we shouldn't need to MARK it. If it doesn't, you'll hopefully have time to MARK it while we're trying to get away.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 21 2014, 09:49 AM) *
You are between 100 and 1000 meters from the site.

You are also in a static zone 3 - so 3 points of noise for environmental factors.

Also - while I'm thinking of it, there is a background count of 1 in the area, so Amy should have rolled 1 less die while summoning the spirit (not that it mattered, as apparently her sacrifices to Invisible Castle were well received wink.gif)

Just bear in mind that all magical tests going forward will suffer a -1 die penalty. (This affects all Awakened, not just you).

Ok;

I will run Signal Scrub (+2 Noise Reduction) and use my remaining 2 program slots to also reduce noise, so I have a zero penalty.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
Ok - so here is what I think I need before I post anymore IC.

1) each of you add to your most current IC post your gear listing.

This includes anything that is wireless on - and remember that Overkill can only slave 9 things to his deck, and currently he has at least the 2 flash grenades, the rotodrone, and the fly spy - and that doesn't include any of his own equipment.

Also, I'm assuming all wireless that is on is running silent - this includes Overkill's deck, which will give him a -2 penalty for his Matrix actions.

2) What items you are carrying in hand.

3) Who, if anyone you are aiming at.

I think I know when you are going to trigger the ambush, but what I will do is (once I have all the info above) put up a post that leads up until either the point where I think you will spring the ambush or if they do something that might cause you to spring it earlier, and then I'll ask for your actions.

ETA - certainly if you guys want to post a conversation via commlink IC or what your character is doing IC, no problem at all, please post away.
Jack VII
1) IC post up with gear list. Apart from his commlink, Jack has all of the wireless on his gear turned off. I would much prefer to preserve the ambush as much as possible. Assuming the team pulls off the surprise, he'll turn on the wireless to his AR's smartgun system before firing.

2) Jack's hands are filled with his new Colt M23.

3) Jack's target priority is Truck.

ETA: Well drats, I was kind of hoping the sacrifice victim might have been the kid that went missing. Would have been some easy nuyen.gif We might want to try to leave the non-Awakened dude alive. It's possible they've already kidnapped all of their victims, so there might be one more being held on ice somewhere.
Chrome Head
Amy has described the plan to the spirit so it knows to attack as soon it hears the grenade explode. It knows there's a victim to protect, and that everyone else will be hostile, i.e. only stop when they're unconscious or I tell you to stop. And I assume it will take measures to protect itself appropriately during the attack, when possible.

Amy's intention is to first cast mass confusion centered on Truck, at force 3 so she can sustain it with focused concentration, and using 5 drams of reagent to maximize the effect in case the invisible gods continue to favor me from up there in their castle. Following that, I'm not sure yet, since her spells won't hurt Truck, but maybe Clout on the awakened until they drop.
DrZaius
I'd like Grease to pop a dose of Cram. I'll edit my IC post to reflect it.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 21 2014, 12:47 PM) *
I'd like Grease to pop a dose of Cram. I'll edit my IC post to reflect it.

-DrZ

Bear in mind that Cram has a speed of 10 minutes, so depending on when you spring the ambush, the fight may be over by the time it kicks in.
Always Overkill
Overkill is aiming for Truck, AK-97 at the ready. His Sub Machine Gun is slung over his back, and his Ares is in its usual holster underneath his left arm.

Cyber Settings A:5 S:6, D:5, F:3 Programs: Signal Scrub, Stealth, Virtual Machine: Decryption, Hammer

Drave will blow the Flashbangs when they are all in range of the grenades.

Before setting off the grenades, can I do a Matrix Perception check to find their commlinks?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 21 2014, 12:03 PM) *
Bear in mind that Cram has a speed of 10 minutes, so depending on when you spring the ambush, the fight may be over by the time it kicks in.

I suppose you learn something new everyday?

That's fine; it makes sense IC, although I imagine he would have popped it as soon as he heard the cars coming, knowing it took that long to kick in.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 21 2014, 01:25 PM) *
I suppose you learn something new everyday?

That's fine; it makes sense IC, although I imagine he would have popped it as soon as he heard the cars coming, knowing it took that long to kick in.

-DrZ

Fair enough - it has been about 3 minutes since you heard the cars approach.

So, right now the 4 men are slightly outside the 10 meter blast one of the flash grenade.

Let me know if you pop the ambush now, or continue to wait.

The one thing I ask is that if you want to communicate between each other, please do it in character, as time will pass as you are talking, which will modify what happens.
Chrome Head
Amy watches on both in astral and physical. Does the chanting spring up the aura of a spell or ritual? Can Amy find out anything about it if it is indeed magical in nature?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 21 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Amy watches on both in astral and physical. Does the chanting spring up the aura of a spell or ritual? Can Amy find out anything about it if it is indeed magical in nature?

Are you going to interrupt him, or wait until he is done (assuming that doesn't take very long)?
Chrome Head
If it's just one combat turn long, I will not interrupt him unless given the word by Overkill. He makes the decisions and he can see just as well as Amy that a spell is being cast. If the grenade goes off, I'll assume we should interrupt him smile.gif

Otherwise, perhaps I can have an idea of what the spell is about (force, type, tradition) by watching him cast it.

ETA: Well maybe he can't see this as well as Amy, but there's a fair chance that he spots it himself.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 21 2014, 02:28 PM) *
If it's just one combat turn long, I will not interrupt him unless given the word by Overkill. He makes the decisions and he can see just as well as Amy that a spell is being cast. If the grenade goes off, I'll assume we should interrupt him smile.gif

Otherwise, perhaps I can have an idea of what the spell is about (force, type, tradition) by watching him cast it.

ETA: Well maybe he can't see this as well as Amy, but there's a fair chance that he spots it himself.

Ok - what he is doing will only take him one combat turn - is anyone else interrupting?
Lobo0705
I will be gone in a couple minutes to go head to my PnP Shadowrun game tonight - I will check back late tonight when I get home.
Jack VII
Jack will wait for Overkill's call. That sucks that they aren't all in the radius. I was hoping to place the grenades in a way that it would have caught all of them in the blast based on their positions from the previous night. I guess that wasn't really possible?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 21 2014, 05:52 PM) *
Jack will wait for Overkill's call. That sucks that they aren't all in the radius. I was hoping to place the grenades in a way that it would have caught all of them in the blast based on their positions from the previous night. I guess that wasn't really possible?

They may be in position after they kill the girl / start the ritual? That'd sort of make the whole thing moot, though.

-DrZ
Chrome Head
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 21 2014, 06:21 PM) *
They may be in position after they kill the girl / start the ritual? That'd sort of make the whole thing moot, though.

-DrZ

Again, depending how much more risk we want to take just to save the girl's life. I hope it's no one we can recognize nyahnyah.gif
Always Overkill
If the ritual goes down the same as we saw last night, we have time before they will sacrifice the girl, they will all have to move into range of the cross to complete it, so there should still be a chance for us to catch all of them in the blast.

There could be a lot of spells that they have to cast in order to complete the ritual, so I doubt Overkill is going to want to blow the flashbangs prematurely not knowing whether the spell is an actual threat.

@Lobo: Just to be sure; in the video feed we saw last night, were all the cultists nearby the cross when they were conducting the parts of the ritual we were privy to? (potentially bringing them all within range of the flashbang.)

Edit: As he is no magic expert, (nor I in RL,) Overkill will ask Amy if she recognizes the spell in my next IC to determine whether it is a significant enough threat to risk opening fire early.
Always Overkill
@Lobo: BTW, I need the results of Drave's Matrix Perception check when you have a chance.
Lobo0705
@Overkill,

Yes, during the video feed last night, all the cultists were in range of the grenade prior to the death of the girl.

Remember that the girl was killed at midnight, and it is only 11:00 PM

With regards to the Matrix Perception check looking for their commlinks:

8d6.hits(5)=2

You are able to find two of their commlinks (without marking them and running a trace, you are unable to identify whose)

Let me know if you guys want to post IC, and if not, I'll continue with what they are doing.
Jack VII
I don't really have an IC post to add. Waiting for the fireworks...
Chrome Head
It'll probably come down to Overkill calling the attack.

You can assume that Amy will be watching the astral throughout and assensing spells and whatnot.
Lobo0705
Ok - since Overkill has said he isn't going to blow the flashbangs until they are all in position, I'll advance the action a little.
Lobo0705
Ok - at this point Truck, and the two men inscribing patterns on the ground are well within range of the flashbang, while the summoner and the man with the blond hair are not.

Any reaction as of yet?
Chrome Head
Are any spells cast? And does assensing give me any information as to their nature/force/type/tradition?

Assensing the spirit, can I know its force?

I'll post IC after you let me know these things, to tell the team which mage is the summoner and that taking him down gets rid of the spirit as well.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 22 2014, 11:42 AM) *
Are any spells cast? And does assensing give me any information as to their nature/force/type/tradition?

Assensing the spirit, can I know its force?

I'll post IC after you let me know these things, to tell the team which mage is the summoner and that taking him down gets rid of the spirit as well.

Assensing the spirit, you can tell that its force is lower than your magic.

They are currently not casting any spells.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 22 2014, 12:54 PM) *
Assensing the spirit, you can tell that its force is lower than your magic.

They are currently not casting any spells.

What about the one-turn long spell, was it just the summoning?
DrZaius
@Lobo: Just FYI, I'm checking the post throughout the day; if there's anything that I feel warrants Grease jumping in or causing a ruckus I'll mention it, but otherwise am waiting for the signal.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 22 2014, 12:48 PM) *
What about the one-turn long spell, was it just the summoning?

Yes
Lobo0705
@Chrome,

You have a typo - the man with the long blonde hair is the mundane. One of the dark haired men is the summoner.
Chrome Head
My bad, will fix immediately.
Lobo0705
No problem smile.gif

Overkill? Any response? If not, then I'll advance.
Always Overkill
Sorry for the delay, Internet was down over here.
Lobo0705
Also bear in mind that your spirit is able to be seen by the other spirit - it isn't in a hidey-hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012