Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
Ok - just waiting to hear from Dr. Z and Chrome, assuming they are good, I can write a transition scene with all of you at the Bar-rel at around 19:00 - that gives you about an hour and a half at the Bar-rel before you have to leave for Motel 6 for the 2100 meeting.
DrZaius
Transition away. I am dealing with a family emergency, probably won't be able to post for a few days.

Thanks,
DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 28 2014, 09:52 AM) *
Transition away. I am dealing with a family emergency, probably won't be able to post for a few days.

Thanks,
DrZ

Hope everything is okay - take all the time you need.
Jack VII
Hope everything is okay, DrZ!
Chrome Head
I hope all will turn out okay Dr Z.

About the timeline, I was thinking that Amy arrive at Hubert's at 2:45, she's not ready until an hour after that, in order to make it to the Barrel by 4pm. If in-game schedule changes, Amy won't mind spending the rest of the afternoon with Sam, Kevin and the old ork.
Lobo0705
Ok - I posted an IC post with Overkill arriving at the Bar-rel. You all can adjust your IC post previous to this one indicating what you did up until the meeting time.

Apart from that, feel free to RP at the Bar-rel. smile.gif
Chrome Head
Ok we just cross posted and I have to run. I don't think it's a problem, but I'll fix later if needed.
Jack VII
I think we're good. We're all pretty much spit-balling now.
Chrome Head
I've edited my big IC post with additional messages exchanged with Chomsky.

As for our discussion, we're just guessing at this point, though the connection isn't a really tough one to imagine. When we're done brainstorming how all of this is linked, we need to talk about what we want to do at the meet. Negotiate for as much money as we can with Mr. J and call it a day, or test the waters on what more we could do to fully complete the job.
Lobo0705
Ok - so I'm trying to think of anything else we can do while we wait for Dr. Z (Not that there is any rush, Dr. Z - family takes precedence)

It seems like Overkill, Jack, and Amy are all of the opinion that the Johnson from Biogene is too big a fish to try and grab for the limited payout, and I doubt Grease is going to try and get him on his own.

There isn't even, as far as I can tell, that much new information to give Ramirez - the info on Biogene is about it, as he already knows about Lynx, Gutter, and Falcon, the Los Mags, Bradshere, etc.

I believe we are in the last stages of the run, there will be some housecleaning to do, so I thought I might map out what I think needs to get done before we close the page on this mission:

1) Meeting with Ramirez - and get paid!
2) Jack should handle Honeypot
3) Jack meeting with Smokey (or simply sending the footage to Smokey - and this can be accomplished through Honeypot, if he so desires)
4) Amy's meeting with Chomsky
5) Amy getting the kids back from Hubert's
6) Shopping!

And then OOC - award Karma

Am I missing anything? If I am, please let me know - I'm not on a timetable to get this over with quickly, if there are other things you want to try, just say so.

And, I'm assuming that will take a week or two, we can start looking at advertising for another player for Nothing's Free in the Free Zone Adventure 2:A Dish Best Served Cold smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 28 2014, 06:27 PM) *
I believe we are in the last stages of the run, there will be some housecleaning to do, so I thought I might map out what I think needs to get done before we close the page on this mission:

1) Meeting with Ramirez - and get paid!
2) Jack should handle Honeypot
3) Jack meeting with Smokey (or simply sending the footage to Smokey - and this can be accomplished through Honeypot, if he so desires)
4) Amy's meeting with Chomsky
5) Amy getting the kids back from Hubert's
6) Shopping!

For 3, I was going to give it to Honeypot to give to Smokey, he's her contact after all. I figure with it coming from her, it would help validate the information as real (since she's still alive). It also might smooth over any rough feelings between the two of them over the fact that searching for the information may have put him in danger. I don't want Honeypot getting mad at me because my questions ended up getting one of contacts killed (probably) and another in someone's cross-hair. By calming the waters by proving that the most dangerous threats to him weren't going to be a problem, I'm hoping he lets bygones be bygones and she's not pissed.

A couple things Jack wants to do, that don't necessarily require IC posts or it could just be a post that I put together:
- Find a nice antique device for Nic or maybe buy him a new Hardware kit, thanking him for all the help over the last week.
- Going to that concert with Jason. I figure I should develop my contacts, even the ones I haven't used yet.

One other thing Amy might want to do is take that focus we recovered from the Arsenal to Stingray to see if he can figure anything out about it.

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 28 2014, 06:27 PM) *
Nothing's Free in the Free Zone Adventure 2:A Dish Best Served Cold smile.gif
Love the sound of that! biggrin.gif
Jack VII
For the team, here's the list I've been putting together about purchases. We're getting well and truly screwed by the COLA on some things, but not much we can do about that, LOL. I was estimating that we were going to bank about 20K off the run each. If we each donate half of our earnings (including Overkill), we would have a pool of 40K to spend on team expenses. Here's the list so far:

Team Shopping List
Follows an Item (Cost): Reason format

Toyota Gopher w/Rigger Adaptation (35,100): This is a lot of scratch. Unfortunately, we can't afford a Bulldog at all given the COLA (48,600 nuyen.gif ), but I figured we could get one of these and buy a camper back to hide the drones (or bodies, as needed) in the bed of the truck. Or we could just save some of that money and do one more run, hopefully earning enough for a Bulldog.

Team Lifestyle - Low (Safe House, 2,600 for 4 people): We talked about a safe house. I figure if we can get in good with our real estate agent, we might be able to rent a new place each month/run.

4x Trauma Patches (2,200): One for each team member

4x R1 Stim Patches (110): Interrogation aids

R2 Autopicker (1,600): While the item description doesn't say it, p. 359 says an Autopicker can replace the Lockpicking skill, so you don't actually need Lockpicking skill to use it. Could be useful, depending on which way Lobo goes with that...

Ammo - Buy back from characters?: I was thinking everyone could sell back their ammo to a team stockpile and we all pull from that as needed. It would be cheaper than buying it on the market. The ammo we've recovered from the various encounters would just be dumped into the pool. Up to y'all if you want to do it. I haven't calculated what the cost would be.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 28 2014, 08:43 PM) *
One other thing Amy might want to do is take that focus we recovered from the Arsenal to Stingray to see if he can figure anything out about it.

That, for sure, except that she will start by showing Hubert, who's pretty decent at that stuff too. Stingray is probably superior, and she will ask him if Hubert can't help.

And I'm very much eager to play the next run! smile.gif

ETA: Amy might not be able to give away half of her earnings on this first run, she has too much to resolve on her end. Fake SINs are expensive. She needs to replenish reagents in a big way, and be able to bind 1-2 spirits for the next run. She might have some more equipment she'll want to buy. And of course she needs to invest in lifestyle, plus extra to organize stuff for Sam if that's not included in lifestyle costs.

On the plus side, if Amy can't have a good use for the focus (or doesn't want it enough to eventually spend karma on it), we can sell that (or trade it in for reagents) and add the amount to the team's budget.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 28 2014, 09:00 PM) *
R2 Autopicker (1,600): While the item description doesn't say it, p. 359 says an Autopicker can replace the Lockpicking skill, so you don't actually need Lockpicking skill to use it. Could be useful, depending on which way Lobo goes with that...

Ammo - Buy back from characters?: I was thinking everyone could sell back their ammo to a team stockpile and we all pull from that as needed. It would be cheaper than buying it on the market. The ammo we've recovered from the various encounters would just be dumped into the pool. Up to y'all if you want to do it. I haven't calculated what the cost would be.

With the Autopicker, I don't see any reason why page 359 doesn't apply, as with a lockpick gun, you really don't have to know how to pick locks, you just insert the pick gun and pull the trigger, as seen here.

So yes, an Autopicker Rating 2 could be used to give you a rating 2 skill.

As far as the ammo, that makes a lot of sense as well. With ammo costing 25% more due to COLA, it is better to keep a pool rather than have to buy new. Especially with Grease's penchant for shooting full clips at imaginary vampires...
Jack VII
For now, I guess we need to wait on this discussions until we find out how much we're going to bank and whether Overkill is donating, assuming he isn't going to be around for the next run.

50% of earnings was a high-ball figure intended to get us a utility vehicle. If we're good with going without for now, we could easily donate a much smaller figure (like 10% to 15%). This might be a better option for now since we're dealing with Amy digging out of her Resources E pit from CharGen.

I think that a bare minimum for what we need as a team would be the Safe House (2,600/month), Trauma Patches (2,200), and the Stim Patches (110). We should probably add (5x) Metal Restraints (160) as well, given that our last restraints were confiscated along with Lynx and friends.

Another question we might want to figure out is how to handle non-cash loot. Grease acquired a drone and Amy has a focus and confiscated reagents in her possession currently. I'm a big fan of a need-based system where characters can claim tools that are helpful to them to do their job better, since it overall helps the team. With that said, should there be some value applied to those items when considering loot distribution? Balancing non-cash loot is pretty much entirely a GM responsibility if the players don't come up with a system to factor it.
DrZaius
I had every reason to believe that vampire was real!

Thanks everyone for understanding about my unavailability. I unfortunately now have meetings all day, so I won't be able to post IC. I agree with everything people are saying, so if Lobo wanted to add something about that in Grease's voice that'd be fine.

Per expenses; I think it may make sense for us to figure out a way of tricking out the cab to be the drone hub, rather than going to the trouble of purchasing an entirely new vehicle.

When I get home I will peruse the gear listing a bit to see if there's anything else we may need. I know Grease (and others) will have lifestyle expenses to cover.

It may be reasonable to think about the funds as 50% personal vs. group pool; that way we can try to balance out things that individuals want (a new armor coat, for example) vs. things that help the overall team, if we're sticking together (such as a group lifestyle).

Thanks again, I'll try to post IC tomorrow.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
I can post something for Grease agreeing with the group - assuming that I do so, do you want me to transition over to Motel 6 and the 2100 meeting so that when Dr. Z can post tomorrow it is at the meeting with Ramirez? Or do you have more to talk about at the Bar-rel?
Jack VII
Since Grease is on-board, I think we can transition over to the Motel 6. I don't think there's really anymore we can do at the bar other than contrive conspiracy theories.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 29 2014, 08:55 AM) *
Since Grease is on-board, I think we can transition over to the Motel 6. I don't think there's really anymore we can do at the bar other than contrive conspiracy theories.

Ok - I am actually going to be away until this afternoon, I'll get a transition post up then.

One other thing we need to do, and let's just do it now to get it out of the way - as otherwise I'll forget about it smile.gif

Healing

Jack:
12d6.hits(5)=3
11d6.hits(5)=3

So in 2 days Jack will be healed.

Overkill
6d6.hits(5)=1
5d6.hits(5)=2
4d6.hits(5)=2

So in 3 days Overkill will be healed

Amy
8d6.hits(5)=3

In one day, Amy will heal.

Mostly I wanted to roll that to see if any of you would need to see a doctor to heal up, and fortunately you will not smile.gif
Chrome Head
We should probably buy 4x Medkit supplies for the team, too nyahnyah.gif

Actually, this has always been an issue for me: what are the team vs personal expenses?

Drones are a personal expense, but vehicles are team expenses?

Ammo and reagents is personal?

Tools are team expenses, but role-specific tools are personal?
Lobo0705
Team vs Personal Expenses

A quick summation of my thoughts, as I have to leave in a sec.

This, to me, is a pure RP choice, as long as it doesn't sow disharmony OOC.

After all, many Shadowrun characters are pure mercenaries, selling their skills to the highest bidder, willing to save or murder innocents depending on how good the nuyen.gif is.

Some, however, are much more altruistic.

Some trust their compatriots, others trust no one.

You can make a convincing IC argument, depending on your character, that EVERYTHING is a personal expense, or, you can make a convincing argument that almost everything is a team expense as well. (Certain things aren't, lifestyle, for example).

Where you guys draw the line is up to you, I'm fine with almost anything, as long as it doesn't lead to arguing OOC about "who has to pick up the check for the 10 S&S rounds since I paid for the taxi last night type stuff".

If it helps, the way my PnP team plays is this:

10% of all monies go to a "slush fund" which is used to purchase run-specific equipment. Need to knock someone out for a run? Ok, we'll buy some stun grenades out of the fund. You want to buy Wired Reflexes? You are on your own there buddy. I've seen them use this for security countermeasures, medkits, knowsofts (and, in some cases, activesofts), some ammo, gas masks, etc.

Any proceeds from loot that is sold goes to the slush fund, and the team votes if a piece of loot is more valuable to the team if given to a player as opposed to forcing them to sell it for the cash. Mind you, this is easier when you have guys who have known each other for years as opposed to people who have never met conducting the game over the internet.
Jack VII
Yeah, it's a bit problematic to draw up a distinction between the two. I think the easiest way to handle it is to just create a pool of funds and then everyone gets to weigh in on how it is spent, majority rules. Whatever funds you personally control, you can spend on whatever you want (including anything the team as a whole shoots down that you really want).

My personal philosophy on a pool: I see the team pool generally covering operational expenses and overhead, rather than physical assets, with some exceptions.
Operational Expenses: Cover charges, bribes, transportation expenses, etc.
Overhead: Safe house & medical expenses (including slap patches and medkit supplies)
Specialized Equipment: Restraints, B&E Gear, Things we otherwise wouldn't pick up on our own that we might need for a specific approach to a job.
Capital Expenditures: This could include a vehicle. It's a huge expense and not something that would be particularly fair for Grease to shoulder on his own.

Ammo and Reagents are probably easier to handle as a team expense, simply for tracking purposes. With that said, if stuff is purchased and replenished through team funds, the team should have some say over how it's used.
Chrome Head
This is also similar to how I've been playing in my group irl, though the slush fund grabbed at least a third to a half of our pay, depending on our needs. For instance, we eventually managed to buy a tricked out rover with a solid Pilot (we didn't have a rigger) and a bunch of other pretty cool, expensive toys.

For this team it might really depend on Grease. Amy and Jack seem to be more the sharing kinds, whereas Grease has always managed to keep his distance.

For now, I think we can start with a 15% slush fund to cover what we need after this first run, and we can reassess this after each run, according to our needs. In general, role-specific stuff can remain a personal expense for now, and general use items can be absorbed by the slush fund, especially a safe house of course.

ETA: Posted before reading Jack's post.

I agree with the break down. Ammo and reagents are a touchy thing, especially considering that Amy uses reagents also as summoning material (similar to drones in a way, though they are used up each time unlike a drone which remains useful for longer). This all gets resolved on a voting basis though, and this vote should really be handled as an IC decision imo.
Jack VII
15% should work for now. Depending on final pay and whether Overkill is going to chip in or not, that puts us around 9K to 12K for a pool, about 5K being dedicated for a safe house/trauma patches/stim patches if we want to go that route. I haven't added in Medkit supplies, but I am thinking we may want to purchase an R6 Medkit to carry in the taxi, which could be a team expense (1,650). Jack will keep his R3 Medkit to bring along on the run itself since it is a small pouch, compared to the R6's backpack size, but that can be a personal expense.

With respect to ammo/reagents, I'm thinking maybe going this way:

- The team sets a quantity of each type of ammo that we want for the different weapons we have. The ammo is replenished after each run.
- The team sets a quantity of shamanic reagents. These are for Amy's use to support general casting. The reagents are replenished after each run.
- On a case-by-case basis, the team can vote to use funds to purchase things like grenades/missiles/rockets or fund a reagent purchase for binding.

That way, the really expensive stuff becomes a shared expense, but hinges on whether the team agrees to expend the funds, but we still have general use ammo/reagents that the team is funding.

ETA: @Lobo, when you get a chance, can you review the COLA list? I'm pretty sure this was pulled from 3E, but some of the categories don't make much sense anymore. For instance, under Magic, you've got listings for Hermetic Libraries and Ritual Sorcery Materials. Since that has all been pretty much subsumed as Magical Lodge materials in SR5, it might help if some of those listings were realigned. Are reagents included under Magical Supplies?
Chrome Head
What is COLA?
Jack VII
Cost of Living Adjustment. It's the price adjustment we have to make to everything we buy, basically standing in for Street Index from past editions. The document is in the City of Denver Info folder in the drop box entitled Denver UCAS Zone Cost of Living.doc

Now I'm wondering what the COLAs are for the other zones...

ETA: *&^%, the boards ate my rather lengthy post... Basically, I deducted Overkill's ammo from the ammo tracker and put up my thoughts on the ammo levels we might want the team to maintain. I figured any weapons for personal defense are personal expenses, so we would only buy ammo for SMGs and larger weapons.

Current Levels (Less Overkill's Ammo)
SMG
APDS: 60
GEL: 86
REG: 122

AR
EX: 190
REG: 204

Suggested Levels
SMG
EX: 60
REG: 180
S&S: 60

AR
EX: 80
REG: 400
S&S: 80

Purchases to Reach Desired Level
SMG
EX: 60 - 600 nuyen.gif
REG: 58 - 145 nuyen.gif
S&S: 60 - 600 nuyen.gif

AR
REG: 196 - 490 nuyen.gif
S&S: 80 - 800 nuyen.gif

Grand Total: 2,635 nuyen.gif to reach desired level

I also took a look at Reagents. Assuming we've been using the hermetic reagents since we acquired them (it's easiest for accounting), we have 10 shamanic reagents and 58 hermetic reagents left. If we can trade the hermetic reagents for shamanic reagents at a rate better than 2:1, we could increase the total number of effective reagents. I was thinking the team would fund something around 60 reagents for normal spell use per run. Discounting Binding, Amy used 31 reagents on our last run for reference.
DrZaius
This all gets sticky pretty quickly. I think my preference for using my drones would be to have them be capable of lots of supressive fire, which is a significant ammo drain that may not be fair to put on to the entire group. Additionally, Grease will probably want to get Rhex fixed, or get a similar drone. He has an SMG but I think he'd prefer it if he didn't have to put himself in harm's way that often (beyond whatever dumpshock he gets from having a drone take one between the sensors).

While I appreciate the concept of a van being a "team" expense, I also think it makes sense for Grease to try and purchase something like that on his own. He's not necessarily the trusting type; so I think we may need to discuss the team working together in the future from an IC basis, possibly with Chapel suggesting a more permanent relationship as a result of our complimenting skillset.

I think this last time we divided the money up front into individual pools (since we were all broke from chargen), but going forward I'd think a run advance would be a great pool to draw from for these incidental expenses, with the payout at the end being the amount we divy up amongst ourselves. I wouldn't have an issue running it that way.

Additionally, while I personally would like all of our money to go towards useful things, from an IC standpoint I am going to need to spend some fraction of Grease's take on a Novacoke bender.
Jack VII
While I agree that a lot of this discussion is going to have to be somewhat accounted for in IC, I assume IC rationalizations aren't going to get in the way of our continuing as a team, which is why I figure we can knock out some of this discussion now OOC.

With respect to the ammo, we can do whatever y'all want; the way I'm suggesting it is to place a limit on what the team will fund. So if Grease goes FA suppression happy with his drones, he might be footing the bill for a reload. Since I'm the one who's keeping track of it, I'm just going to treat it as one big pool, which would be easier to track as a team resource, IMO. I don't really see any of us telling the others that they can't use our ammo if we have extra to spare. <Cough> Overkill didn't lift a finger when I took his S&S ammo to use with my Colt in the apartment. wink.gif

If Grease is okay with not treating a new vehicle as a group expense, I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't count on saving up enough money for many runs.

An advance might be a good source for a team fund, but I don't think all runs are going to come with one. It's going to depend on the client. Are we going to turn them down if they can't cough up enough money on the front end? Additionally, lining up a safe house could take a few days if we don't have one already established, from an IC perspective. I'm not really sure what a realistic expectation would be there.

Lobo0705
I updated the Cost of Living document (mostly just organized the Magic section)

There are absolutely different adjustments for different sectors of the city - you'll have to wait to see that as you explore different sectors though wink.gif

Lots of good points made by all of you on the money situation - again, I'm fine with it as long as all of you are okay with it OOC.
Jack VII
Considering a few things...

- Amy is going to need the bulk of her money to get a Fake SIN/Licenses, particularly if any of our future runs are going to make us cross real borders and not just the UCAS -> Downtown UCAS check.
- If we are going to be running in other sectors, a safe house in the UCAS sector may not be all that helpful. If work takes us to the CAS/Sioux/PCC, the UCAS safe house and any ammo we stockpile there is likely not going to do us any good.
- IC we probably aren't at the level of trust we need to be at to really co-mingle funds, unless we used Chapel as a safety deposit box.

I think I'm leaning toward not doing anything with a team fund at present and going with DrZ's idea and hope that we get an advance for the next run to cover incidentals. I'd suggest everyone try to withhold a few thousands nuyen in the event there isn't an advance to cover expenses that may arise. We'll have to take care of our own ammo and reagents. I guess loot just goes to whoever can use it or we fence it if no one wants it. Not exactly equitable, but so it goes.
DrZaius
I'll have more to comment later. I think ooc a lot of what jack is suggesting makes sense, I think IC we may need to come up with some justifications.

DrZ
Jack VII
Thanks for updating the COLA doc, Lobo. That changes reagent costs considerably. That's certainly good for Amy.
Chrome Head
I think that I agree with the consensus forming for the time being. More or less, we each take our share and we wait and see how it pans out next run. An advance for covering expenses is pretty standard so we should be fine. Amy is not the kind to cling to money, so she might be tempted to spend/give away nearly all of it, even if we're getting paid a big amount. She doesn't lack the willpower to keep money sitting, it's just that she's never learned to do it given her life experience.

The use it or sell it philosophy for loot is reasonable for a number of reasons, unless what we find is worth a lot, in which case some compensation should probably paid to the slush fund by the lucky user. Same goes for an item desired by more than one PC. I think a case by case basis IC makes sense, until we settle on some kind of team structure and team code. We don't even have an appointed leader at this point, and Amy would be hesitant to nominate Grease, so she'd lean more towards Jack (we've had this debate before but Overkill is out now).

1.35 is very reasonable for reagents now. And add to that that she can shop around: Hubert definitely is expert at providing those, and she can always bring some business to that mafia-killing mage that could potentially grow as a contact over time. I kind of liked the guy.

What's the modifier going to be for the fake SIN?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 29 2014, 11:53 PM) *
What's the modifier going to be for the fake SIN?

We discussed this a while ago, there isn't one. Which is good since they're so expensive. Then again, there are plenty of other expensive items that do have high modifiers, so I guess we should count ourselves lucky on that one.
DrZaius
That was a good point about the safehouse location may not being useful if we have to travel across zones. I think with that in mind we should keep with our current method, i.e. having someone in the group find a decent place for us to hole up as necessary. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for us to do that *first thing* when we start a new run, so we have it as a backup should things turn sideways on us. Alternatively, we could get something in each zone on the cheapest end of things, but that would probably prove expensive.

From a D&D perspective, I know there's a philosophy of having people "buy" magic items from the group as part of their share of loot; we could adopt something similar. I think the main issue is that each character archetype in SR requires funding for vastly different things; Amy needs it for her expensive Reagents, Jack for new cyberware and weapons, Grease for vehicles and drones.

I would be comfortable having Grease pay a portion of his take to the group for usage of the rotodrone. Of course, would the group pay him for the loss of Rhex, or is that considered a reasonable expense for a rigger? I really don't know. If Grease paid out an amount equal to whatever he'd be able to pawn the rotodrone for, I think that would be equitable.

Part of the issue is that our characters (in general, I am assuming) are free agents who plan on moving on to another job in another group. OOC, we've got a decent group going and obviously are going to work together again (unless we do something drastic). So, with that in mind it's tricky to figure out how we want to divy this stuff up. Grease would want to keep his new drone, call it even for losing Rhex, and move on to a new gig soon. WE know we're working together again, but that hasn't been established IC (which is something we may want to do after we finish the payout from the Johnson).

I'd be curious for y'alls thoughts on this.

ETA: To move the IC thread along, I know you're waiting on Grease. What am I sharing- the fact that we got the Biogene name out of Gutter? Sorry I've been out of the loop the last few days. Everything is better on the home front; thank you all for your support.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 30 2014, 07:11 AM) *
ETA: To move the IC thread along, I know you're waiting on Grease. What am I sharing- the fact that we got the Biogene name out of Gutter? Sorry I've been out of the loop the last few days. Everything is better on the home front; thank you all for your support.

Glad to hear things are good on the home front man! As far as what we are sharing, I believe the main thing would be the BioGene bit. There's no telling if Gutter is actually going to offer up any of that now that he knows he's in custody of the ZDF, so Ramirez may not know that yet. I think we should also offer up what we learned about BioGene and the possible implications it may have vis a vis Crimson Fire. Ramirez is probably our best placed contact to actually be able to do something with that info, even if it just means turning it over to the ZDF.

As far as the loot situation, I think all of that generally makes sense. Considering my character build, I'm likely to be the one who gets most screwed with the Need vs Greed concept, since there really isn't much more cyber I can squeeze into my build nor is there really any equipment that I want. The stuff that I would want/could use is so expensive that there's no way it's going to show up as loot.

With all that said, I'm fine with just going with the rule that equipment that can help a character fill their role better should be given to them for no cost. Considering fencing rates, we're unlikely to gain the commensurate benefit by selling it. If no one wants/can use an item, we'll fence it and the money will be split among the team. We won't establish a standing pool of team money, but will use any advance we can negotiate to pay for team expenses like a safe house. This also means the team won't be reimbursing anyone for anything unless we have inordinate expenses and have to borrow money from them (e.g. we owe Grease 852 nuyen.gif from the total pay for equipment expenses from the apartment part of the job).
DrZaius
Going back, it would have made more sense for us to pool the advance in the beginning and not even think about it as "our" money. Such is the life of shadowrunners!
-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 30 2014, 08:59 AM) *
Going back, it would have made more sense for us to pool the advance in the beginning and not even think about it as "our" money. Such is the life of shadowrunners!
-DrZ

Uh, our first encounter with Grease involved him being high as a kite. I think it made sense that we kept the money to ourselves then, LOL!

ETA: Let's just take the cash for now. No team pool. Then when Chapel or whoever contacts us for another run, we can hook up and someone mention that we might want to use our advance as a team-controlled pool for run-related expenses. I figure with a run under our belt, we'd be more open to the idea.
Chrome Head
I know Amy would want to work with Overkill again, obviously (though OOC I know this won't happen). She knew of Jack before and as it turns out she makes a good team with Grease (I'm seriously considering buying a skill point in Intimidate now smile.gif). And Amy is protective of her team, which makes her grow fond of it faster and more easily than most people. I think that it would make sense for Amy to suggest that the team should stay together IC. After receiving payment would be the logical moment for that.

Oh and about establishing a safehouse at the beginning of a run.. in some cases there just isn't any time for that. We've all seen many runs that start the night of, or the day after a meet.
DrZaius
From a purely logistical standpoint @Lobo; are you going to keep the IC thread the same going forward, or start a new one for a new adventure? What about the OOC thread?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Oct 30 2014, 10:14 AM) *
From a purely logistical standpoint @Lobo; are you going to keep the IC thread the same going forward, or start a new one for a new adventure? What about the OOC thread?

I think the best thing to do is to start both a new IC and OOC thread - it will make it easier on all of us, I think, to keep the adventures separate. The new OOC thread will have the same starting post from me with all the house rules and conventions for the game, and we still have the dropbox that contains all the data from the first run.

Unless there is a reason to just keep the same IC and OOC thread?
Jack VII
I'm thinking new, since they're tagged as Adventure 1: Broken Star. I think it would be easier to start a new OOC thread for sure, particularly if we pick up a new PC, so that we can have all the character sheets centralized.

Just to put this somewhere...

Team Equipment:
7x Sets of Coveralls
3x Gas Masks
Chrome Head
Yeah we should keep the first 4 player posts in the OOC be the character sheets, much easier for bookkeeping (though I will admit I haven't kept up with that sheet very much since the resource tracker).
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Oct 30 2014, 10:20 AM) *
Yeah we should keep the first 4 player posts in the OOC be the character sheets, much easier for bookkeeping (though I will admit I haven't kept up with that sheet very much since the resource tracker).

No, me either- I think it's up to date on my spreadsheet that I shared with Lobo.
-DrZ

ETA: We should also probably discuss downtime between runs; I know the way that karma works now it involves some level of training if you're interested in that sort of thing. Plus, it will take some time for us to purchase new equipment we may want.

As an aside, I'll talk to Lobo about our plans / capabilities for transport / drones going forward.
-DrZ
Chrome Head
Amy will want a minimum of 2 weeks downtime, given the length and stress of the previous run (and she's new to the business), and given that we're getting a good pay that can last us a while. She wouldn't mind waiting up to 4 weeks until the next run even.
Jack VII
I figured the typical month or so for downtime. Just enough to start having to pay another month of lifestyle. But we could always go for less if no one has any significant training requirements. A lot of that is going to depend on how much karma we get for the run.

ETA: Also note that those of us with Dependents (Amy and Jack) require twice as much time to train skills and perform "long-term projects" as those who do not. It's not exactly clear what a "long-term project" is, but I would assume any skill test that has a time interval of 1 Day or greater.

Other than that, we should probably put most of this on hold until we actually finish the run we're on... wink.gif It's probably going to take a little time to find the right player to replace Overkill, in any event, so we should have time to figure all of this stuff out.
DrZaius
I should mention now since it feels appropriate given the topic of conversation I need to talk to y'all about my availability going forward.

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks (3rd week of November). While this is great for me professionally, they *do* seem to have a rather strict IT policy. it is unlikely that I will be able to post during normal business hours. I would commit to y'all that I would try to check the threads daily, probably posting either first thing in the morning or later in the evening. I know this isn't ideal, and the original agreement for the game was for people who had jobs that allowed them to check in on the threads throughout the day. I'd understand if you wanted to replace me for someone who has more availability to keep the game moving forward; I think we can all agree one of the reasons this past adventure has been so successful is because we've been able to keep it going at such a clip. Either way, it was great playing with you all, and I will remember this as one of my favorite adventures cyber.gif

However, I did figure it would be worthwhile to post this piece of info now before we start on a new adventure, so you have a choice on whether or not you want to replace Overkill AND Grease going forward.

-DrZ
Jack VII
I think if we can actually keep it to at least a post a day, maybe with the priority being IC over OOC posts, we should be able to maintain progress. The original setup thread asked for people who could post at least once a day; Lobo just said that he could probably post multiple times per day given his job.

P.S. Congratulations on the new job!
Lobo0705
Dr.Z - congratulations on the new job smile.gif

As far as posting, here are my thoughts:

I'm with Jack - I originally wanted a group where everyone is posting at least once per day. If you can commit to that, (whether that is in the morning or in the evening) that should be fine. If you feel you can only post once or twice a week, then I think that would start to significantly slow the game, especially in situations where you, being the Face, will be conducting the negotiations.

Does that sound fair?

Lobo0705
Also, I'll second Jack's earlier post - we are in the home stretch, let's finish up this run and then move on to all the other stuff getting ready for the next run. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012