Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 10:11 AM) *
How do the pills fit in? Are they a red herring, or tied somehow?

??? - I think the pills and/or the smuggling route to get the pills into the UCAS is the reason for all the Lone Star folks getting killed. Makes sense as well given the rally and what the rally was targeting.

QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 10:11 AM) *
@Jack: Was your point that it would be out of the way to go back to the safehouse now since we're already out here? I haven't been paying close attention to the map and whatnot.

Yeah, basically. The arsenal is a little to our northeast right now and that's where the sacrifices are happening. The safehouse is pretty far to the south now.
Chrome Head
I just caught up, I don't think Amy has anything interesting to add right now, other than sneaking in an aura reading on Chapel at some point.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 6 2014, 11:46 AM) *
I just caught up, I don't think Amy has anything interesting to add right now, other than sneaking in an aura reading on Chapel at some point.

Your aura read shows him as non-awakened, some cyberware (mostly headware) and in a good mood.

Do you want me to post the arrival at the Arsenal?
Chrome Head
I'm okay with that.

The first thing we'd do is probably to send in a fly drone and the spirit (who still owes me one service I believe) to scout the site, I guess?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 6 2014, 10:31 AM) *
I'm okay with that.

The first thing we'd do is probably to send in a fly drone and the spirit (who still owes me one service I believe) to scout the site, I guess?

Yes, I would say recon is a must for this. This is the place that has all sorts of rumors about what's going down inside of it.

Once a highly restricted area, the Rocky Mountain Arsenal no longer contains anything worth protecting. The fences and guardposts still surround it, but are unmanned and unmonitored, and years of neglect have taken their toll. Anybody capable of walking can penetrate what is left of the security. Surprisingly, squatters have so far failed to settle in this large area. Rumors abound that this is due to unexploded munitions, secret corporate labs, ghouls, and/or insect spirits, each person you meet has their own theory.

DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 6 2014, 11:19 AM) *
??? - I think the pills and/or the smuggling route to get the pills into the UCAS is the reason for all the Lone Star folks getting killed. Makes sense as well given the rally and what the rally was targeting.

I agree, but I'm not sure we have anything tying them together other than speculation at this point. We have no idea who is producing them, why, how they're actually getting to the Los Mags, etc. Something to just keep track of, I guess.

-DrZ

ETA: We can definitely scout ahead with a drone or two. Probably best to have it running a few hundred meters in front of the car as well, to see if the car is flushing anything nasty out.

Jack VII
I figure if we snag Stinger, he might have an idea or a lead. For me, the tough part to prove is going to be the dirty Lone Star connection to the murders. That's definitively circumstantial at this point.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 6 2014, 11:47 AM) *
the tough part to prove is going to be the dirty Lone Star connection to the murders. That's definitively circumstantial at this point.

I agree there's really no proof and we're not even sure who is responsible for anything within Lone Star. Bradshere probably has something to do with it, though we still lack a rock solid link to him, and we have no idea if Brown is involved or not, or anybody else.
Lobo0705
IC post up in the next half hour or so - have to grab lunch first.

Lobo0705
Ok - a very brief IC post up. Need to ask a question:

How are you getting there?

Are you going to pull off the road and try and go through the fence?

OR

Are you going to go through the old military structure near the corner of E. 56th and Peoria? (which has a road block set up - although, like everything else, is officially abandoned)

OR

Are you going to go around to the old Visitor center (which is by Gateway Road and Wildlife Drive) and just has a chain link gate, and then follow the trail that way?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Ok - a very brief IC post up. Need to ask a question:

How are you getting there?

OR

Are you going to go through the old military structure near the corner of E. 56th and Peoria? (which has a road block set up - although, like everything else, is officially abandoned)

OR

Are you going to go around to the old Visitor center (which is by Gateway Road and Wildlife Drive) and just has a chain link gate, and then follow the trail that way?

So no easy way to get a car through, huh?

Additionally, I'm curious what the weather forecast IG is supposed to be for this evening.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 12:59 PM) *
So no easy way to get a car through, huh?

Additionally, I'm curious what the weather forecast IG is supposed to be for this evening.

Thanks,
-DrZ

You have to deal with the gates or the roadblock to get a car in, yes.

Weather forecast for tonight is clear but humid- about 70 degrees.
Chrome Head
Btw, do we know who exactly gave us the info? Do we trust him? Might this be an ambush against us?
Jack VII

OR

OR

I would go with 1 or 3 for the recon. The official roadblock sounds like a bad idea.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 6 2014, 01:10 PM) *
Btw, do we know who exactly gave us the info? Do we trust him? Might this be an ambush against us?

I believe that IC Jack is the only one who knows where this info came from.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 6 2014, 12:10 PM) *

We talked about it IC. We don't know the guy who gave us the info, he was supposedly one of "Pat's" contacts who wouldn't return "his" call. Basically, y'all know what I know other than the fact that Pat is Honeypot. We batted it around and decided that we didn't really have much other choice. We did think that it would be something of an odd trap to give us two possible avenues of investigation (Stinger and Truck) which would require them to set two different traps.

But yeah, best to be cautious.
Lobo0705
We have a vote for 1 or 3 - any others?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 01:19 PM) *
We have a vote for 1 or 3 - any others?

I'm ok going with 1. I think It'd break my heart to have my car get blown up by a land mine.

Does Grease know about this place at all? It's technically in the UCAS sector, which is in his "home ground". Not sure if that counts WRT this, however.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 02:24 PM) *
I'm ok going with 1. I think It'd break my heart to have my car get blown up by a land mine.

Does Grease know about this place at all? It's technically in the UCAS sector, which is in his "home ground". Not sure if that counts WRT this, however.

-DrZ

Sorry, it doesn't count as your home ground smile.gif

This particular place is basically a no-man's land. Lots of different theories as to why no one goes there, but no solid leads.
Chrome Head
1 or 3 for me as well.
Jack VII
Looks like 1 wins for the initial recon. We can swing by the Visitor's Gate when we leave, see if it might be something we could use on our way back out here tonight. These guys are getting in here somehow. They might be hoofing it or they might not be...
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 6 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Looks like 1 wins for the initial recon. We can swing by the Visitor's Gate when we leave, see if it might be something we could use on our way back out here tonight. These guys are getting in here somehow. They might be hoofing it or they might not be...

Probably not much harder to get through a fence on a dirt bike than it is by foot. Cars are a different story.

They are also getting kidnapped victims in here, so who knows.

-DrZ

I'm alright with #1.

@Lobo, if you want to post what happens next, that's fine. I will send the cab to overkill as we discussed, and call for the BMW to make a crazy track around town, eventually showing up here.

@Overkill: If you wanted to post an IC message from Grease telling you 'your cab is here" whenever you are ready, you can RP going out to grab the stuff from the trunk and whatnot, and potentially joining the rest of the team.

-DrZ

Jack VII
From examining the map, if we can gain entrance to the complex between the two streams that lead towards the lakes, there is a small road inside the installation (Potomac Street) that basically runs up to the target area. Our entry would be near the intersection of Potomac Way and E. 56th.

ETA: Assuming the road still exists, it probably doesn't have UXO near it. Then again, there could be other threats.

Also, I slotted all of my outdoor affiliated skillsoft (Gymnastics, Navigation, Survival, Sneaking, Tracking)
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 6 2014, 01:39 PM) *
From examining the map, if we can gain entrance to the complex between the two streams that lead towards the lakes, there is a small road inside the installation (Potomac Street) that basically runs up to the target area. Our entry would be near the intersection of Potomac Way and E. 56th.

ETA: Assuming the road still exists, it probably doesn't have UXO near it. Then again, there could be other threats.

Also, I slotted all of my outdoor affiliated skillsoft (Gymnastics, Navigation, Survival, Sneaking, Tracking)

Ok - that is fine for an entry point - making it about a 1.5 mile hike to the sacrifice site.

Grease will have his drone out in front - Amy does still have one service left for her spirit - what is that going to be?

The road still exists, but you don't know about any ordinance, and it is much more overgrown. No penalty to walking or a 4x4, but a two wheel drive car might have an issue.

On the way out, the hike to the visitor center is about 2.5 miles.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 01:46 PM) *
Ok - that is fine for an entry point - making it about a 1.5 mile hike to the sacrifice site.

Grease will have his drone out in front - Amy does still have one service left for her spirit - what is that going to be?

The road still exists, but you don't know about any ordinance, and it is much more overgrown. No penalty to walking or a 4x4, but a two wheel drive car might have an issue.

On the way out, the hike to the visitor center is about 2.5 miles.

Grease will give the team an AR view of the camera feeds of his drones as they proceed (1 fly spy, 1 microskimmer. The other fly spy is still patrolling the drug house). I presume there are other pieces of information the rest of the team can't interpret (such as the drone's olfactory readout), but from a camera standpoint they have access.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 01:50 PM) *
Grease will give the team an AR view of the camera feeds of his drones as they proceed (1 fly spy, 1 microskimmer. The other fly spy is still patrolling the drug house). I presume there are other pieces of information the rest of the team can't interpret (such as the drone's olfactory readout), but from a camera standpoint they have access.

-DrZ

The microskimmer is ahead of you and low to the ground so that it can pick up (potentially) any mines. Is the Fly Spy up in the air providing aerial recon? Or is it also down on the ground to help with the microskimmer?
Jack VII
Oh also, just because I remember something was posted IC about it's function(a lot) earlier. I think a microskimmer is basically supposed to be like a floating roomba. It's listed as a hovercraft, so I think it is supposed to stay close to the ground. Did they change that in 5E?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 6 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Oh also, just because I remember something was posted IC about it's function(a lot) earlier. I think a microskimmer is basically supposed to be like a floating roomba. It's listed as a hovercraft, so I think it is supposed to stay close to the ground. Did they change that in 5E?

That is correct:

Quiet and durable, this disc-shaped skimmer is smaller than a frisbee and
can even skim over water. It moves with small and rather
weak hoverjets. It is easier to spot than the Kanmushi,
but still very small. It is operated with the Pilot Groundcraft
skill; the hovercraft specialization applies.

So - the microskimmer can't fly.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 02:54 PM) *
That is correct:

Quiet and durable, this disc-shaped skimmer is smaller than a frisbee and
can even skim over water. It moves with small and rather
weak hoverjets. It is easier to spot than the Kanmushi,
but still very small. It is operated with the Pilot Groundcraft
skill; the hovercraft specialization applies.

So - the microskimmer can't fly.

The Fly-spy will be doing aerial recon, trying to give us a bird's eye view of our surroundings.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 01:58 PM) *
The Fly-spy will be doing aerial recon, trying to give us a bird's eye view of our surroundings.

Ok - IC post up in a moment smile.gif
Lobo0705
I've stopped there in case you want to add any IC posts or have any questions.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 6 2014, 03:04 PM) *
Ok - IC post up in a moment smile.gif

I'd like to make an AR line of our path, in case we need to jet out of here and don't want to run over unfamiliar territory smile.gif

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 6 2014, 02:23 PM) *
I'd like to make an AR line of our path, in case we need to jet out of here and don't want to run over unfamiliar territory smile.gif

-DrZ

No problem smile.gif
Jack VII
I'm mostly focused on the ground, looking for anything out of the ordinary and game tracks to get a feel for the area. I actually have a Tracking skillsoft, if that helps. I'm counting on Grease and Amy to spot stuff to our sides and in front.
Chrome Head
Assensing on the site of the sacrifice please! I'd like Amy to perceive the astral on and off all the way to the site as well, just to get a lay of the astral land, so to speak. She was told to look for ley lines or other unusual features by Hubert after all.
Lobo0705
I've sent Chrome a PM with regards to Astral info - others can feel free to add IC posts if you wish while Amy is checking out the scene.
DrZaius
Again, FYI: Limited availability tomorrow. Probably won't post a ton over the weekend either, as I will be at the beach.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ May 7 2014, 08:26 AM) *
Again, FYI: Limited availability tomorrow. Probably won't post a ton over the weekend either, as I will be at the beach.

Thanks,
-DrZ

Real life mimics the game (as you are at the beach IC as well)

Although I would hope your real life beach experience is less, well, torture and sacrifice filled.

DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 7 2014, 09:04 AM) *
Real life mimics the game (as you are at the beach IC as well)

Although I would hope your real life beach experience is less, well, torture and sacrifice filled.

Fingers crossed!

I sent skippy over the area to look for tracks because in my mind, as a mini-hover craft, he won't foul any tracks or trails since he's off the ground. If I am interpreting that differently than from how you imagine it, let me know and I can adjust the post accordingly.

-DrZ
Jack VII
The hoverjets are described as weak. If anything, they might blow some leaves around, I would think.
Lobo0705
Jack and Grease:

1) Unfortunately it really is impossible to tell if the woman on the cross is the same as Renata just by looking at her face. There is enough damage from scavengers (both eyes are missing, lips torn away from the mouth, etc) that a confirmation is just not feasible. You can say that approximate height, skin color, and hair seem to match, but the Denver area has a fair number of Hispanic residents, so this is hardly conclusive.

2) The skimmer will not leave tracks, and can travel across the lake if you wish it.

3) Olfactory sensors detect "normal" levels of fecal matter and decay for a death that occurred 15 hours or so ago.

4) There are lots of tracks on the ground, Truck's are very easy to find. They run from the road to the east of the lake to the sacrifice site. Amy and Grease are able to see Truck's without a problem, Jack is able to pick up several other tracks, presumably of the lighter robed figures.

Truck's tracks are only around the first sacrifice site, and not around the other two, although Jack is able to find the other human tracks around the other 2 sites.
Jack VII
OK, I'm going to wait until Chrome has a chance for Amy to provide us with any details about the astral side of the house.
Lobo0705
With regards to ambush spots, you can find several such spots (including those you marked on the map) within 75 meters or so with an LOS to both of the non-used sacrifice sites.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ May 7 2014, 11:30 AM) *
With regards to ambush spots, you can find several such spots (including those you marked on the map) within 75 meters or so with an LOS to both of the non-used sacrifice sites.

Can I use my Sneaking skill to pick out the best spots using the feeds from Grease's drones? I mainly want to synthesize the information we have:

- Target Locations
- Target Arrival Points
- Ambush Locations

Into the best possible ambush plan available to us given the following conditions and constraints:

- Two primary shooters (Jack and Overkill)
- One Magic Support (Amy)
- One Drone Fire Support (Grease)
- No Suppressing Fire
- Effectively concealed against thermographic vision

If Jack thinks the spot picked out on the map work, then that is what he would suggest IC.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 7 2014, 12:52 PM) *
Can I use my Sneaking skill to pick out the best spots using the feeds from Grease's drones? I mainly want to synthesize the information we have:

- Target Locations
- Target Arrival Points
- Ambush Locations

Into the best possible ambush plan available to us given the following conditions and constraints:

- Two primary shooters (Jack and Overkill)
- One Magic Support (Amy)
- One Drone Fire Support (Grease)
- No Suppressing Fire
- Effectively concealed against thermographic vision

If Jack thinks the spot picked out on the map work, then that is what he would suggest IC.

The three sites you've picked out on the map do cover both empty crosses, but if the targets fled to the east, they rapidly break your LOS due to the trees. The rotodrone will be able to cover that area from where you've marked.

Of the three sites, the one on the island (hex C4) is problematic in that there is little cover on that island, so anyone there will be clearly visible to thermographic sight. You will have to pick out somewhere else in the treeline to avoid that. (and even then, you will need to make sneak tests to try and conceal yourself from thermo, as the treeline will be much cooler than your body.)

When you say "no suppressing fire" - what does that mean? That you can't all be in one suppressing fire zone? If so, that s/b fine, you are far enough apart that that shouldn't happen (depending if you relocate the spot at C4 somewhere else).
Jack VII
I meant that we aren't going to use suppressing fire against the targets since there is likely going to be a non-target (the sacrifice) on the field and it would be pretty stupid if we killed them with errant suppressing fire.

Hmm... maybe I should go with the hiding in the water deal... what's the lake look like? Is it trashed and polluted?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ May 7 2014, 01:06 PM) *
I meant that we aren't going to use suppressing fire against the targets since there is likely going to be a non-target (the sacrifice) on the field and it would be pretty stupid if we killed them with errant suppressing fire.

Hmm... maybe I should go with the hiding in the water deal... what's the lake look like? Is it trashed and polluted?

Ah, gotcha.

As far as the lake, it is actually not that bad as far as you can tell. The level of the lake is a little low since it is the middle of summer, and you can see that the normal levels are a couple of feet higher than where they are now.

The water itself is murky, but there isn't trash floating in the lake or anything like that.
Chrome Head
I'm not sure I understand Jack's IC suggestion to Amy. You want a spirit to make the ground muddy near the crosses so that it's slippery but also cover that with leaves so that it's not obviously so?

About the combat. I think I can conclude from last time that a strong air spirit with elemental attack seems like one of Amy's best offensive options (12 damage, -6 armor, electricity stun secondary, with a good dice pool is nothing to scoff at), far superior to her own attack spells. Don't forget that she can turn someone invisible for some added protection, so if Jack is hiding in a more open area, like the lake itself, she can sustain an invis spell that'll make him even much harder to spot. Said air spirit could also do something similar as last time and conceal all of us, including itself, while it's also attacking our targets, assuming I get 2 services. I really doubt they'll see us before it's too late this way, and even when we're firing, it'll be hard for them to fire back efficiently, even with magic (it is affected by visibility modifiers, right?).
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ May 7 2014, 11:51 AM) *
I'm not sure I understand Jack's IC suggestion to Amy. You want a spirit to make the ground muddy near the crosses so that it's slippery but also cover that with leaves so that it's not obviously so?

Sorry, that wasn't clear at all. I mainly meant having a spirit carry it over and drop it so we wouldn't have to worry about leaving tracks. I'll clarify IC when we get close to executing whatever plan we put together.
Chrome Head
But you know, maybe it's not a bad idea to turn the ground very slippery near the crosses if it can be done in a realistic way. Whatever advantage we can gain from the ambush, we should exploit it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012