Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Jack VII
Huzzah! I can write up the post. Give me a little bit.

Before I do that though, the guard can actually try to break my hold. All he has to do is roll Unarmed Combat + Strength [Physical] with a threshold equal to the number of successes I scored (1). With that said, if I did surprise him in the shack, I probably would have had another IP to improve my hold and get more net hits before he attempted to break the lock (I may also get the Superior Position bonus since I believe he was sitting down and I probably grabbed him from behind). My guess is that this would go on for a few IPs with Jack alternating between improving his grip as the guy generated successes and causing stun damage until the guy goes down, but it's up to you how you want to roll with it. I'll start working on my post and leave off the guard shack until you let me know how you want to handle that.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 25 2014, 10:15 AM) *
Huzzah! I can write up the post. Give me a little bit.

Before I do that though, the guard can actually try to break my hold. All he has to do is roll Unarmed Combat + Strength [Physical] with a threshold equal to the number of successes I scored (1). With that said, if I did surprise him in the shack, I probably would have had another IP to improve my hold and get more net hits before he attempted to break the lock (I may also get the Superior Position bonus since I believe he was sitting down and I probably grabbed him from behind). My guess is that this would go on for a few IPs with Jack alternating between improving his grip as the guy generated successes and causing stun damage until the guy goes down, but it's up to you how you want to roll with it. I'll start working on my post and leave off the guard shack until you let me know how you want to handle that.

That is funny - I read the part on subdual this morning and I could have sworn he had to beat your strength plus net hits, but I just reread it and clearly you are correct.

That being said, you are correct, you get at least one more IP to improve your hold - let's see what happens there:

11d6.hits(5)=4

And he resists:
6d6.hits(5)=2

Which means when he goes he would need 3 hits to escape - let's just make that one roll

6d6.hits(5)=3

Lol - ok, now we actually have to roll this out.

So:

ETA - sorry - screwed up the surprise rules.

First is the guard's surprise test:

6d6.hits(5)=1

Which he fails.

So, Initiative

Initiative:
Jack 2d6+7=11
Guard 1d6+6=7 - 10 so no action.

So, on 11, you Improve the Hold

On 1, you get to go again - you can improve the hold again.

11d6.hits(5)=6

There you go

He resists
6d6.hits(5)=2

So, now it would be initiative again, at which point you can apply damage, and he isn't going to get away.

Hope that wasn't too confusing - sorry I screwed up.
Jack VII
No problem. Dumpshock just shit the bad on me. Let me break up these posts so there isn't a massive double post issue going on.

WTF IS WRONG WITH DUMPSHOCK!?!?!

So sorry, I am not sure what is wrong with those posts. I think I'm going to close my browser first and come back. I'm just going to delete the text. Sorry about whatever the hell that was, I didn't do anything differently than I normally do. 12 duplicate posts...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 25 2014, 09:54 AM) *
No problem. Dumpshock just shit the bad on me. Let me break up these posts so there isn't a massive double post issue going on.

WTF IS WRONG WITH DUMPSHOCK!?!?!

So sorry, I am not sure what is wrong with those posts. I think I'm going to close my browser first and come back. I'm just going to delete the text. Sorry about whatever the hell that was, I didn't do anything differently than I normally do. 12 duplicate posts...

No worries - sometimes it just gets glitchy.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 09:05 AM) *
No worries - sometimes it just gets glitchy.

Seriously. It duplicated four posts, so I went ahead and split the first post into four posts, which then somehow tripled the total post count. Ugh... if i had something I thought that would be worthwhile to post in those eight blank posts, I would.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 08:30 AM) *
That is funny - I read the part on subdual this morning and I could have sworn he had to beat your strength plus net hits, but I just reread it and clearly you are correct.

I think it's STR + net hits compared to the opponent's physical limit that determines if they are grappled or not. Then to break, you just compare it to the net hits. No worries though, that's way easier to deal with than 3.5 D&D grappling. Lawd...
Jack VII
Awesome, that worked out pretty well, I think. Is there anything else we can accomplish without Grease? I'm not sure and am happy to wait until DrZ gets back.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 25 2014, 11:09 AM) *
I think it's STR + net hits compared to the opponent's physical limit that determines if they are grappled or not. Then to break, you just compare it to the net hits. No worries though, that's way easier to deal with than 3.5 D&D grappling. Lawd...

I will admit that I played the original D&D (Basic, Expert, Companion, etc) then switched to AD&D, and then 2nd edition. I pretty much never went back to it after that smile.gif

Ok, so, here's what we've got left.

1) Grease meets with Chapel (which can be a throwaway scene I write)
2) Grease meets with the team and does the disguises (which I've already rolled for)
3) Your recon of the apartment.

Up to you guys what, if anything you want to do before he gets back.
Jack VII
I played 3.5 in PbP on the Wizards main boards for a while. It's where I cut my PbP teeth. Let's just say that the grappling rules were a little complicated.

I think we wanted to do a quick recon of the complex before heading back to meet with Grease and the supplies. Just to make sure it squares with what we expect. Overkill could do a Matrix Perception check to see if he picked anything up (cameras, drones, etc).
Chrome Head
Just threw a quick communication in there. I think we're ready for a transition, or you can do Grease's bit with Chapel (or both).
Jack VII
Cool with me too.

P.S. Shadow Spells was apparently released today. It's one of those short PDFs and is apparently basically an expansion of Street Grimoire (more spells/adept powers/traditions).
Lobo0705
Several OOC things that have occurred to me:

1) While you have secured a truck, this was done in order to allow you to bring a cart into the apartment in order to drag the bodies out.

We have failed to actually acquire said cart.

2) Given Amy's use of spirits to provide overwatch, it seems remiss for me not to remind the team (Amy would think about it if nothing else) that Falcon could use one in a very similar nature. I'm not sure there is much to do about it if he did, but I didn't see any of your planning address having a spirit outside the apartment looking for strangers. (I might have missed it).
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 01:23 PM) *
Several OOC things that have occurred to me:

1) While you have secured a truck, this was done in order to allow you to bring a cart into the apartment in order to drag the bodies out.

I was kind of hoping the truck would have some sort of cart in it. Alternately, I had suggested we hit a laundry company.

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 01:23 PM) *
2) Given Amy's use of spirits to provide overwatch, it seems remiss for me not to remind the team (Amy would think about it if nothing else) that Falcon could use one in a very similar nature. I'm not sure there is much to do about it if he did, but I didn't see any of your planning address having a spirit outside the apartment looking for strangers. (I might have missed it).

That's kind of what the disguises are for, although given that it can assense, it might wonder about Amy. Nothing we can really do since she can't mask. Considering the foot traffic in the area, I would think (hope, probably) that Falcon would have a spirit reporting only things that are of significant note and close proximity.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 25 2014, 01:28 PM) *
I was kind of hoping the truck would have some sort of cart in it. Alternately, I had suggested we hit a laundry company.

That's kind of what the disguises are for, although given that it can assense, it might wonder about Amy. Nothing we can really do since she can't mask. Considering the foot traffic in the area, I would think (hope, probably) that Falcon would have a spirit reporting only things that are of significant note and close proximity.

Ok - since I should have been more on the ball about the cart - we will assume the truck has a cart in it smile.gif

With regards to the spirit, since it is an apartment complex, it can't very well report all activity, otherwise it would be warning him all the time smile.gif

I think once you get to their specific door, however, that is something that will probably trigger an alert of some kind. As I said, not sure what exactly you can do about it, but I wanted to give you fair warning.

Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Ok - since I should have been more on the ball about the cart - we will assume the truck has a cart in it smile.gif

I'm good with that. The apartment complex might have some kind of garbage cart that we could use, but that might raise some eyebrows. We could always reply that we didn't realize the infestation was going to be THIS bad...
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 25 2014, 02:05 PM) *
I think once you get to their specific door, however, that is something that will probably trigger an alert of some kind. As I said, not sure what exactly you can do about it, but I wanted to give you fair warning.

Amy mentioned that recently:
"Also, we haven't talked about magic much, but I suspect that there will be a spirit keeping watch, and it's likely that one or more backup spirits might be ready to intervene rapidly. I can't stress enough how our highest priority target has to be Falcon, because I think he surpasses me in magical abilities, and I'm not weak myself."

But no plan was devised regarding this. When we get there, Amy will explain that we need to pretend to be going to another room and when we're in front of Lynx's room, it will be somewhat surprising that we suddenly barge in.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 25 2014, 03:41 PM) *
But no plan was devised regarding this. When we get there, Amy will explain that we need to pretend to be going to another room and when we're in front of Lynx's room, it will be somewhat surprising that we suddenly barge in.

The only plan we really had was to take out Falcon first. The honest truth is that, unless the door locks are controlled by the Host, there's really no way to get into their apartment without Overkill directly hacking the door, which is going to take a few seconds. While we suggested that we could make the work order apply to the apartment one down from their apartment and hopefully fool the guards if they aren't highly observant, that's not going to work for a spirit. The rules are honestly not particularly kind to us here, between trying to fool guards and moving quickly enough that the spirit doesn't warn our targets before they act.

The other problem being that spirits are, IMO, kind of OP. Not necessarily in their power (although that gets a little insane), but the fact they can easily provide security to an area and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Disrupt them and their summoner knows immediately. On top of that, they have perfect telepathy with their summoner, so even if you somehow manage to tie them up with a mana barrier or something, they can still raise the alarm. There's really not much we can do with a spirit other than try to move quickly and hope it doesn't happen to be in the hallway when we're setting up. We could maybe try to fool it and cause a distraction somewhere nearby, but we're stretched thin as it is and it would probably STILL raise an alert to Falcon.

ETA: Not that we can really complain much, we've certainly used spirits with a relatively high frequency.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 25 2014, 03:53 PM) *
ETA: Not that we can really complain much, we've certainly used spirits with a relatively high frequency.

My character has 16(!) skill points in spirit-related skills, so it's no surprise she tries to make use of it in the game.

Spirits do have surprisingly powerful side effects, but they're more vulnerable than they have been in the past imo.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 25 2014, 05:06 PM) *
My character has 16(!) skill points in spirit-related skills, so it's no surprise she tries to make use of it in the game.

Oh, no complaints, I think you've definitely used them effectively. It's just something of a reap what we sow kind of deal. I can't wait until we get ambushed. That's going to suck. cyber.gif
DrZaius
I think Grease mentioned at some point ic we should look out for spirits. That said, I'm cool with everything happening. Thanks for moving stuff along without me!
DrZaius
Jack and I's post's overlapped a bit. I edited it to make sense.
-DrZ
Jack VII
Sorry! I didn't realize you were posting. I think this works out.
DrZaius
I will write a quick IC post, along with a gear list, and then I'm ready to transition inside.

Thanks,
-DrZ
Jack VII
As for Gear, if I think I can get away with it, I'll stow the AR, SMG, and helmet in the cart (If I can't get away with the AR, then at least the SMG). If the coveralls we got won't cover our armor, I'll drop the armor jacket in there as well. Just have to gear up as quickly as possible when we get to the 5th Floor (or just cross my fingers and go in unarmored and hope for cover).

Otherwise, gear list is identical to what I posted before the Free Zone Couriers side-job, plus the restraints. All munitions are non-lethal (I have 39 S&S rounds left in the Colt and several magazines worth of gel rounds for the H&K).
Lobo0705
@Grease

The RCC is the size of a briefcase - I'm assuming you have that in the cart as well?

@Jack

The coveralls will go over an Armor Vest, but not an Armor Jacket.

The cart is big enough to hold your stuff (after all, it is big enough to hold a body).

Can I have a little more of an idea of what you guys are doing?

Are all four of you entering through the main doors with the cart, and then splitting up? I wanted to make sure only to avoid confusion on my part.

Just letting Grease doing the talking right?
Jack VII
I didn't bring my armor vest, so the jacket goes in the cart.

As I understand it, the plan is for all four of us to go in, Grease does his soft-shoe (maybe Amy does some magic), we get access to the building. Grease and Overkill are taking the elevator, Amy and Jack are taking the north-east stairs. We meet up on the 5th Floor, and converge on the room, preferably with no guards in sight.

ETA: Grease is basically doing all the talking, although if we can help out with teamwork, I would guess that Jack (Con Skill) and Amy (High Default) would at least take a shot at helping. They both also have Etiquette in case there is a requirement for that.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 26 2014, 11:33 AM) *
I didn't bring my armor vest, so the jacket goes in the cart.

As I understand it, the plan is for all four of us to go in, Grease does his soft-shoe (maybe Amy does some magic), we get access to the building. Grease and Overkill are taking the elevator, Amy and Jack are taking the north-east stairs. We meet up on the 5th Floor, and converge on the room, preferably with no guards in sight.

ETA: Grease is basically doing all the talking, although if we can help out with teamwork, I would guess that Jack (Con Skill) and Amy (High Default) would at least take a shot at helping. They both also have Etiquette in case there is a requirement for that.

Ok - IC post up in the next hour
Lobo0705
I left it there, before you actually got to the 5th floor, since I wasn't sure exactly how you were going to handle that part of it.

Jack and Amy are going to be on the north end of the hall (Jack sans armor and weapons except for the holdout)
Amy also without her armor jacket

and then exiting the elevator are Overkill and Grease - this would be south of the room.

Any actions while you are in the elevators/stairwells?
Jack VII
I don't really have anything else to add other than turning on my Wired Reflexes and slotting some skillsoft: Automatics (4), Throwing Weapons (4), & Unarmed Combat (4)

Unless someone can thing of something more clever, we meet up in front of the door, Overkill hacks the door & Amy calls her spirit, open the door and toss the grenade in and let the spirit go in, then grab our stuff and charge in. Take cover behind whatever is available and alternate shooting and getting geared up. It really depends on how long it takes to shrug into an armored jacket.

ETA: I am pretty confident I am going to be spending all of my Edge during this encounter.
Lobo0705
Lol - you very well might - although your teammates are more likely to wink.gif

I'll give everyone another couple hours or so IRL to post any actions they want to take in the elevator or in the stairwell, if no one else has anything to add, then I'll post the next part.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 26 2014, 12:33 PM) *
I'll give everyone another couple hours or so IRL to post any actions they want to take in the elevator or in the stairwell, if no one else has anything to add, then I'll post the next part.

I'm in no rush, I feel like this is approaching the climax of this run (maybe incorrectly, although probably rather dangerous regardless) so I'd prefer if everyone had the chance to respond before we move forward, if that's okay with you.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 26 2014, 02:47 PM) *
I'm in no rush, I feel like this is approaching the climax of this run (maybe incorrectly, although probably rather dangerous regardless) so I'd prefer if everyone had the chance to respond before we move forward, if that's okay with you.

I'm fine with that - DrZ and Chrome, just post when you can smile.gif
DrZaius
No actions for me in the elevator. Anxious to see how the rest of this goes..

-DrZ

ETA: If we are approaching the end of this adventure, I have a question going forward; but it can wait until we're actually done; I just wanted to put it out there and hopefully I'll remember it. I'll hold onto it until we actually finish; if Grease gets murmaidered it's moot, and we could have weeks of RL time left biggrin.gif

Jack VII
Seriously? That's about as vague-posting as you can get, man! LOL
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 26 2014, 01:58 PM) *
No actions for me in the elevator. Anxious to see how the rest of this goes..

-DrZ

ETA: If we are approaching the end of this adventure, I have a question going forward; but it can wait until we're actually done; I just wanted to put it out there and hopefully I'll remember it. I'll hold onto it until we actually finish; if Grease gets murmaidered it's moot, and we could have weeks of RL time left biggrin.gif

I feel like you can't say you have a question like that, and then not actually ask it smile.gif
Jack VII
You could always PM it to Lobo if you want to keep it on the DL...
DrZaius
Oh- I didn't mean to be so cryptic.

Basically, what's our plan with "Overkill" going forward.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Sep 26 2014, 05:13 PM) *
Oh- I didn't mean to be so cryptic.

Basically, what's our plan with "Overkill" going forward.

-DrZ

It appears that Overkill has not been back, and so for the next adventure, should all three of you (Jack, you, and Chrome) want to play again, I would look for one more player who could meet the posting schedule that we have been keeping. Assuming we find one, if he wants to be a decker, then Overkill can be relegated to a contact in the campaign, if he does NOT want to be a decker, then should you want to have a decker in the group (which I would advise) then I would just run him as an NPC, similar to the way I've been doing now.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 26 2014, 04:20 PM) *
It appears that Overkill has not been back, and so for the next adventure, should all three of you (Jack, you, and Chrome) want to play again, I would look for one more player who could meet the posting schedule that we have been keeping. Assuming we find one, if he wants to be a decker, then Overkill can be relegated to a contact in the campaign, if he does NOT want to be a decker, then should you want to have a decker in the group (which I would advise) then I would just run him as an NPC, similar to the way I've been doing now.

Let's see what shakes out with all of that, Lobo. I know you're used to NPCing deckers in your game, but I've really kind of enjoyed seeing the decking side of the game. If a new player is skeptical about playing a decker, I could retire Jack and bring in a decker, maybe someone a little more focused on decking than Overkill was.

I've enjoyed playing Jack and will definitely play him longer (assuming he's still breathing at the end of this) if we pull in someone who wants to play a decker, but he is a sub-standard build, an experiment to see how a skillwire focused character would work. So I have no problem with swapping him out for someone else.

I think the most important thing is going to be vetting the right player and then trying to find common ground with them over the character they want to play. I think we put together a really solid game here with good posting and would hate to see that fall apart if we bring in the wrong person. Whoever it is is going to have some big shoes to fill to replace Overkill.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 26 2014, 05:27 PM) *
Let's see what shakes out with all of that, Lobo. I know you're used to NPCing deckers in your game, but I've really kind of enjoyed seeing the decking side of the game. If a new player is skeptical about playing a decker, I could retire Jack and bring in a decker, maybe someone a little more focused on decking than Overkill was.

I've enjoyed playing Jack and will definitely play him longer (assuming he's still breathing at the end of this) if we pull in someone who wants to play a decker, but he is a sub-standard build, an experiment to see how a skillwire focused character would work. So I have no problem with swapping him out for someone else.

I think the most important thing is going to be vetting the right player and then trying to find common ground with them over the character they want to play. I think we put together a really solid game here with good posting and would hate to see that fall apart if we bring in the wrong person. Whoever it is is going to have some big shoes to fill to replace Overkill.

Sounds good Jack - I certainly have no problem with you switching characters, although I enjoy Jack and Nic, will be a shame to see them go smile.gif (I feel the same way about Grease and Amy, both of you have done a great job - I would hate to see any of you go.)

And, it may be a moot point depending on how things turn out wink.gif
Chrome Head
This is very exciting!!

About going forward with the game, I'm in of course. If Amy bites the dust, I'll whip up another character, though I'm growing fond of her and would like to see her grow if she does make it out in one piece. I enjoy RP'ing with you guys and I especially enjoy the posting schedule which is just dreamy. Let's see how this scene plays out! biggrin.gif

Oh and to add to the details of just before opening the door. Amy will put on her jacket before going in there, just after calling her spirit and while the grenade is thrown in by Jack. She's so fast that I doubt it will put her behind on the action. I would recommend for everyone to put on armor before going in, honestly, depending on how many passes it takes to put it on. It delays the ambush but it greatly increases survivability (ETA: and we need to wait for the nade and its gas to take effect anyway). So Lobo, how long is it to put on an armor jacket?

And btw, I expect Amy to go berserk sooner or later in this fight, that will be intense.

ETA: At some point Amy should have briefed her spirit about what's about to go down and what the spirit's role will be (so that it's just a simple action to call him over, not having to detail the command at that moment. Something along these lines:

"Oh spirit of our ancestors, thank you for answering my call. I will need you for combat very soon. At my command, you will assist in an assault on an apartment. You are to neutralize all those who are not part of my team of four, and specifically anyone or anything threatening our safety, whether they are in the apartment or not, until I command you to stop. The primary targets should be inside the apartment. Use non-lethal means to neutralize them, when possible. Focus first on any awakened metahuman, I expect a human hermetic mage to be there. For now, just stay ready."
Jack VII
Oh yeah, I would much prefer to have my armor jacket on before going in if possible. All depends on the timeline and what their first moves are.
Jack VII
Well, this makes things way more challenging. One thing I'm not sure about is what, if anything, Overkill is doing with the cameras at the moment. If nothing and the spirit manifests, the jig's probably up if the guards are paying any kind of attention. If Amy can banish it (probably not easy), we might still have a chance of nothing much looking all that out of the ordinary on the material plane. Falcon is going to be alerted (may already have been), but I'm not sure if they would notify the guards here. Last thing Lynx & Co need is a Lone Star response.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 27 2014, 09:29 AM) *
Well, this makes things way more challenging. One thing I'm not sure about is what, if anything, Overkill is doing with the cameras at the moment. If nothing and the spirit manifests, the jig's probably up if the guards are paying any kind of attention. If Amy can banish it (probably not easy), we might still have a chance of nothing much looking all that out of the ordinary on the material plane. Falcon is going to be alerted (may already have been), but I'm not sure if they would notify the guards here. Last thing Lynx & Co need is a Lone Star response.

Currently Overkill is in the host - he can edit the camera footage, that will simply occupy at least one of his actions per Combat Round in order to edit the footage.
Chrome Head
Amy takes a second to assense the Fire spirit. I'll post after I have that info. If it gives me any information about signature, does it fit the signature of the beast spirit and/or the mage she assensed forever ago in Los Mags territory?

ETA: Should I post the instructions to the spirit IC or do we just assume that was done when we arrived at the building. It would have made more sense to brief the spirit at that moment, before going in, than while running up the stairs, but there's still time to do it that way.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 27 2014, 12:15 PM) *
Amy takes a second to assense the Fire spirit. I'll post after I have that info. If it gives me any information about signature, does it fit the signature of the beast spirit and/or the mage she assensed forever ago in Los Mags territory?

ETA: Should I post the instructions to the spirit IC or do we just assume that was done when we arrived at the building. It would have made more sense to brief the spirit at that moment, before going in, than while running up the stairs, but there's still time to do it that way.

Ok, your Assensing test tells you that the spirit's Force is lower than your Magic and you have its signature. It has a different Astral Signature than the Beast Spirit, and when you Assensed the mage back in Los Mags territory you did not get enough successes to get his signature, so you aren't sure if it is the same.

As far as your instructions to the spirit - you could have told him that back when you summoned him, no need to post it. To be honest, while your instructions are clear cut, and while the spirit is obviously intelligent enough to understand your instructions, I'm a little unsure that it is going to follow that many instructions layered within a single command, i.e.:

1) Attack anyone in the apartment except us
2) Also attack anyone outside the apartment if they attack us
3) Target anyone in the apartment first
4) Target Awakened metahumans before non-Awakened
5) Use only non-lethal force

Just from a play-balance standpoint such fine control over the spirit I think is a little overpowered. Now, I'm not saying you can't tell all that to the spirit, and I'm not even sure that the spirit won't follow most of those, I'm just saying that it might not follow all of those instructions (it might target an NPC that attacks it, rather than attack the NPC you want it to attack first.)

More narrowly focused instructions get more narrowly focused results. And I say this not to be like a D&D GM having you word a Wish spell, i.e. penalize you, the player, for not wording the command exactly right, but more as a GM who is enforcing the balancing aspect of spirits, in that they are not directly under the player's control, and will not perform exactly as requested.

What I mean by a more focused set of commands - "Knock the Mage unconscious" That will make sure that the spirit attacks the Mage, and only the Mage, and will use non-lethal force. OR, "Knock everyone in the apartment except us unconscious" - so, non-lethal force against everyone, but you don't get to fine-tune who it attacks first.

The first one is very specific, and gets the spirit to attack exactly who you want first, but then to attack the others, you have to use another service (which in this case, since you only have one service, would necessitate summoning another spirit. The second one allows the spirit to be in the fight against all enemies in the apartment for one service but you don't get to fine-tune who it attacks first.

Does that make sense?

Jack VII
I know this doesn't directly concern me, but I feel like it's fair. I think you brought up something similar after the ambush we did.

Also, unless Falcon was astrally active when the spirit entered the room, it would have to assense any auras that were present to determine if it was Awakened before it attacked. That could cause a bit of a delay if Falcon isn't in the room.

I think "Knock everyone in the apartment except us unconscious" is probably our best bet, given the guidelines. We can be more selective in our targets, as needed.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 27 2014, 02:14 PM) *
Does that make sense?

Absolutely. I'll try to be much more concise for a given command from now on. Considering Amy's priorities, she'd probably go with something like this instead.

"I need you for non-lethal combat. Knock out the mage first if you can. My team are allies. Wait for my call."

I'll let the spirit deal with that command.

ETA: We might want to switch to Combat and roll initiative soon.
Lobo0705
Initiative:

Amy
4d6+11=26
Jack
2d6+7=16
Overkill
2d6+9=16
Grease
1d6+10=14
Spirit of Air
3d6+12=23
Spirit of Fire
3d6+10=18

IP 1
Amy 26
Spirit of Air 23
Spirit of Fire 18
Overkill 16
Jack 16
Grease 14
Jack VII
Not really having any other options, if Amy goes on the offensive, Jack's going to charge in and snap out his handblade while the spirit is manifesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012