Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 5 2014, 12:55 PM) *
Ok - well, first things first is the Matrix Perception:
3d6.hits(5)=2 - not bad - 2 hits out of 3 dice.

The icon now resists:
5d6.hits(5)=1

Wow - see that - the dice tide is turning for Overkill!

So you now see the icon that the data is being sent to. It is not a persona. For more information, you'd have to make another Matrix Perception test.

In answer to Jack's question, for simplicity's sake, I think one icon for the vehicle covers the whole thing.

So we currently think someone (but maybe not actively) is watching the feed from the van. That is a bit of an issue if it's the rigger, because presumably once he checks the feed he'll tell Lynx what the story is. Once Overkill is able to gain access to the van, what options do we have to destroy any footage?

Additionally, at this point I think it makes more sense for us to take the car over the crime-scene murder van. I'd like to disable the van somehow, so the bad-guy rigger can't have access to it (but doesn't know necessarily we're messing with it or him).

The first thing that jumps to mind is taking the tires off. We can either take them with us, or pop 'em, weigh 'em down and put them in the lake. That'd take a while though, given the circumstances and since Rubber floats so well.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 6 2014, 08:12 AM) *
So we currently think someone (but maybe not actively) is watching the feed from the van. That is a bit of an issue if it's the rigger, because presumably once he checks the feed he'll tell Lynx what the story is. Once Overkill is able to gain access to the van, what options do we have to destroy any footage?

Additionally, at this point I think it makes more sense for us to take the car over the crime-scene murder van. I'd like to disable the van somehow, so the bad-guy rigger can't have access to it (but doesn't know necessarily we're messing with it or him).

The first thing that jumps to mind is taking the tires off. We can either take them with us, or pop 'em, weigh 'em down and put them in the lake. That'd take a while though, given the circumstances and since Rubber floats so well.

You would have to hack into whatever device the footage is streaming to, and then either delete the file, or edit the footage (editing it would obviously take longer).

You've already found the icon, now it just requires the Hack on the Fly and Edit File actions.

Just as one further note, 10 minutes have passed in game since the ambush, and no one jammed anyone's communications prior to shooting.

DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 6 2014, 09:37 AM) *
You would have to hack into whatever device the footage is streaming to, and then either delete the file, or edit the footage (editing it would obviously take longer).

You've already found the icon, now it just requires the Hack on the Fly and Edit File actions.

Just as one further note, 10 minutes have passed in game since the ambush, and no one jammed anyone's communications prior to shooting.

Alternatively, Overkill may be able to spoof a command to get the van to pop it's hood; and then I could do something mechanic-y to make it undriveable (pulling the spark plugs, cutting the oil line, or somesuch).

-DrZ
Jack VII
We could also just slash the van's tires, although he might have runflats.

So, I would say leave the van as is. Overkill has spotted the icon, so he can mess with it if we leave, although he is probably going to have to reboot soon to avoid GOD. If we don't take the van, I think we have to tie the guy up and toss him in the trunk, at least until we get to Grease's car. Then we can redistribute passengers.

At Lobo's gentle suggestion, I do think we need to get the frag out of here.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 6 2014, 09:48 AM) *
Alternatively, Overkill may be able to spoof a command to get the van to pop it's hood; and then I could do something mechanic-y to make it undriveable (pulling the spark plugs, cutting the oil line, or somesuch).

-DrZ

While he could certainly do so (it would be a Control Device test), I'm sure that there are still some manual controls even in 2075 - I don't think there is an issue (since you have already unlocked it and opened the doors) to pop the hood manually.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 6 2014, 08:56 AM) *
While he could certainly do so (it would be a Control Device test), I'm sure that there are still some manual controls even in 2075 - I don't think there is an issue (since you have already unlocked it and opened the doors) to pop the hood manually.

Unless you can think of a compelling reason why I shouldn't do this Jack, (i.e you'd stop Grease for some reason) I'd go ahead and do this. Is there a test I'd need to roll?

Logic 3, Automotive Mechanic 3

-DrZ
Jack VII
Jack wouldn't stop it. I mean, given that it possibly recorded the whole fight, I don't think there is much that we can really do about it. I would say that we should head out to where Overkill isn't dealing with so much Noise and see if he can delete the file from the device. Since 5e makes it really difficult to actually hack something in a way that it isn't readily detectable, I don't think there is much that we can do to prevent detection other than make the site as confusing as possible with as few clues as possible, which I think we have achieved to some degree.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 6 2014, 10:00 AM) *
Unless you can think of a compelling reason why I shouldn't do this Jack, (i.e you'd stop Grease for some reason) I'd go ahead and do this. Is there a test I'd need to roll?

Logic 3, Automotive Mechanic 3

-DrZ

With a skill level of 3, you are Competent, so you should be able to muck up the engine with no test necessary.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 6 2014, 09:05 AM) *
Jack wouldn't stop it. I mean, given that it possibly recorded the whole fight, I don't think there is much that we can really do about it. I would say that we should head out to where Overkill isn't dealing with so much Noise and see if he can delete the file from the device. Since 5e makes it really difficult to actually hack something in a way that it isn't readily detectable, I don't think there is much that we can do to prevent detection other than make the site as confusing as possible with as few clues as possible, which I think we have achieved to some degree.

Can't Overkill jack directly into the van itself and perform these actions without noise? That's presuming that it's rigger enabled.

-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 6 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Can't Overkill jack directly into the van itself and perform these actions without noise? That's presuming that it's rigger enabled.

-DrZ

He has to get to the device that is receiving the sensor feed from the van, assuming the device is writing the feed to a file.

So Van ----sensor feed---> RCC (For instance), which may have a file that it is writing the sensor feed to so that it can be reviewed later.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 6 2014, 10:15 AM) *

-DrZ

The van is definitely rigger enabled. What matters is whether or not it is currently slaved to the rigger's RCC.

However, OOC, you know that it definitely isn't slaved to an RCC, in that if it were, then as soon as Overkill marked the Van, he would have gained a mark on the RCC that it was slaved to.

ETA - also what Jack said smile.gif
Chrome Head
I don't really have anything to contribute other than I agree with you all.

Overkill said he was going through a family crisis, it's probably serious.
Lobo0705
Okay, we are starting to stall here, and so if on Monday Overkill is still unable to post, I will be stepping in to help move the game along playing his character.

Not a rebuke of anyone in the slightest, real life take precedence over gaming life, but I don't want the game to fall by the wayside, and it has been 3 days without a post.

Always Overkill
@Everyone: Hey there, sorry for slowing things down, my stepmother is dying. They doubt that she will survive the week.

I will try to check in when I can, but by all means, Lobo, go ahead and take the reins for Overkill to keep things moving along for everyone.
Jack VII
Really sorry to hear that, man. I lost my stepmom about eight years ago. It's a tough thing to cope. I say take whatever time you need. The game will be here.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 8 2014, 03:36 PM) *
Really sorry to hear that, man. I lost my stepmom about eight years ago. It's a tough thing to cope. I say take whatever time you need. The game will be here.

My thoughts go to you and your family, Overkill. Like Jack says, the game will be here, you can participate as little or as much as you want, there's no pressure.
Lobo0705
@Overkill,

My condolences and thoughts to you and your family. As I said, totally understand. I'll step in and play Overkill for a little bit to get us past this hump here where it requires a lot of back and forth, I think I have a pretty good idea of how to play him and stay true to your character.

Please contribute as much as you would like to, but take care of your family first. When you are ready to come back full time, absolutely do so, your character will be here.
Lobo0705
Overkill's attempt to put a mark on the icon that the data is being sent to:

16 dice normally, +2 for VR, -7 for noise=11 dice
11d6.hits(5)=4

Resisted
8d6.hits(5)=3

So Overkill is able to put a mark on it.

DrZaius
Best of luck Overkill, sorry to hear about your situation.
Lobo0705
In response to Jack's suggestion, can I just confirm the following:

1) You will all be taking the Americar
2) Long blonde hair will be in the trunk
3) Grease will be driving
4) The Spirit of Air (following its 3rd service out of 4) is still patrolling over you
5) The Fly Spy is still up in the air.

Need to find out the following:

1) Who is riding shotgun?
2) Your intention is to drive out through the main entrance?

DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 9 2014, 10:31 AM) *
In response to Jack's suggestion, can I just confirm the following:

1) You will all be taking the Americar
2) Long blonde hair will be in the trunk
3) Grease will be driving
4) The Spirit of Air (following its 3rd service out of 4) is still patrolling over you
5) The Fly Spy is still up in the air.

Need to find out the following:

1) Who is riding shotgun?
2) Your intention is to drive out through the main entrance?

Confirmed from my end.

I would think either Amy or Overkill would sit shotgun; Jack should stick with the victim in case they need medical support.
My intention is to drive through the main entrance.

-DrZ
Jack VII
That's correct. I am going to take the precaution of sticking the bio-monitor on the dude in the trunk to try and get an idea if he starts waking up. Better to be prepared. I'm fine riding in the back with the vic. I will probably wait to apply first aid until we get to somewhere stable or before the hour is up, whichever comes first.

I would suggest we exit the compound via the quickest route and meet up with Grease's car in the Warrens somewhere. Ditch the car there and the gangs should take care of it sooner rather than later.

We need to figure out somewhere to keep blondie. I'm thinking Overkill's place, since he doesn't have kids or a troll roomies to wonder what all the screaming is about...
Chrome Head
One thing seems to be missing, we should thrash the van. Make sure it's not used against us later down the line.

ETA: Scratch that, I just read IC, all good.
Lobo0705
The quickest route out is near Peoria and E56th, through the old military complex. You'll need to deal with the barricades there to get the vehicle out - just an FYI.

ETA - here was the original post from back in early May when you approached the Arsenal for the first time:

Are you going to go through the old military structure near the corner of E. 56th and Peoria? (which has a road block set up - although, like everything else, is officially abandoned)

OR

Are you going to go around to the old Visitor center (which is by Gateway Road and Wildlife Drive) and just has a chain link gate, and then follow the trail that way?

(you actually chose option 3, which was to drive to a break in the fence and hike across.)
Jack VII
Yeah, I thought we were going to have a drone do recon of the Visitor Center earlier, but I guess we didn't actually do that? I can't quite remember.

The roadblock sounds like a certified bad idea™, I would think if we had to, we could ram our way through a chain link fence at the Visitor's Center.
Chrome Head
where did the bad guys come from?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 9 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Yeah, I thought we were going to have a drone do recon of the Visitor Center earlier, but I guess we didn't actually do that? I can't quite remember.

The roadblock sounds like a certified bad idea™, I would think if we had to, we could ram our way through a chain link fence at the Visitor's Center.

It think it might have been suggested but never done.

As far as decision making, I'm going to have Overkill follow Jack's lead for most things, unless he suggests something that would either be out of character or something that Overkill would know would be a bad idea.

Do you want me to post something IC about everyone getting in the car, or do others have something to do first?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jun 9 2014, 11:55 AM) *
where did the bad guys come from?

They were coming down the road from the Visitor Center.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 9 2014, 11:57 AM) *
They were coming down the road from the Visitor Center.

So I agree we should go that way.. for sure there's a way out.
DrZaius
I will have the fly-spy fly point, and the rotodrone fly rearguard (about 50 meters behind us)
Jack VII
'm good with moving it forward. I think we've pretty much done everything we can do.
Chrome Head
@Lobo

Took some liberty with that question, if you think that's not something spirits are expected to answer, let me know.

Also, just to be clear, did giving me that bit of info use up the third service for good, or is the spirit still patrolling?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jun 9 2014, 04:21 PM) *
@Lobo

Took some liberty with that question, if you think that's not something spirits are expected to answer, let me know.

Also, just to be clear, did giving me that bit of info use up the third service for good, or is the spirit still patrolling?

I think it might be a little beyond the scope of the spirit/summoner relationship for the spirit to be giving expected outcomes.

Your third service was to scout the area and report anything that is a threat - which it did, so that is the 3rd service, yes.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 9 2014, 04:56 PM) *
I think it might be a little beyond the scope of the spirit/summoner relationship for the spirit to be giving expected outcomes.

Your third service was to scout the area and report anything that is a threat - which it did, so that is the 3rd service, yes.

Got it and got it. I'll edit my post as Amy would know there's no point asking. I'm glad I double-checked.

ETA: Check the IC post.
Jack VII
Since none of the rest of us can hear Thara, I wonder if we could outrun them if we went faster than the speed we are currently maintaining. Granted, Grease isn't nearly the driver when he isn't jumped in, so not sure we would want to risk something like that...
Lobo0705
Grease, if you want to say something else, that's fine, I can edit the IC post.

What are you all doing as you approach the complex? You are currently about 50 yards from the northern entrance.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 10 2014, 12:29 PM) *
Grease, if you want to say something else, that's fine, I can edit the IC post.

What are you all doing as you approach the complex? You are currently about 50 yards from the northern entrance.

I'm fine with what you posted smile.gif

I suppose Grease is driving; and keeping an eye out via his drones. So I take it that unless we figure out a way to lower the barrier on the southern entrance, we're unable to get through the base? Can my Fly-Spy see any other way past?

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 10 2014, 12:34 PM) *
So I take it that unless we figure out a way to lower the barrier on the southern entrance, we're unable to get through the base? Can my Fly-Spy see any other way past?
-DrZ

There is no way off the base for the Americar except for through the barricade or to go all the way to the visitor center.

You can always get out and walk and cross over the fence, but the woods are too dense to get a car out.
Jack VII
Just put a reply up. My suggestion is for Grease to order the taxi over here so we can transfer ourselves and rescuees/prisoners to his vehicle. While we're waiting, Jack will take a shot at lifting the barricade. Preferably with someone providing cover with a firearm in the event someone tries to shoot me.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 10 2014, 02:06 PM) *
Just put a reply up. My suggestion is for Grease to order the taxi over here so we can transfer ourselves and rescuees/prisoners to his vehicle. While we're waiting, Jack will take a shot at lifting the barricade. Preferably with someone providing cover with a firearm in the event someone tries to shoot me.

Sorry - my description is probably not detailed enough - this isn't something that can be lifted. It is retracted into the ground - see this video

This could be done with a command (if there were power to the unit) or there should be a manual override with a wheel (in case of loss of power).
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 10 2014, 12:18 PM) *
Sorry - my description is probably not detailed enough - this isn't something that can be lifted. It is retracted into the ground - see this video

This could be done with a command (if there were power to the unit) or there should be a manual override with a wheel (in case of loss of power).

Yeah, we had those, but never used them unless we were at max RAMP procedures. They were more of a threat than a counter to one since it ended up boxing in vehicles you didn't necessarily want boxed in.

OK, I'll edit my IC post. Given that the post hasn't been maintained for God knows how long, I doubt the manual mechanism would be functional anymore. In your opinion, would any of us actually have the functional knowledge about these devices to know there would be a manual device to retract the barrier? I'm leaning towards no, unless someone has ranks in Industrial Mechanics.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 10 2014, 01:23 PM) *
Yeah, we had those, but never used them unless we were at max RAMP procedures. They were more of a threat than a counter to one since it ended up boxing in vehicles you didn't necessarily want boxed in.

OK, I'll edit my IC post. Given that the post hasn't been maintained for God knows how long, I doubt the manual mechanism would be functional anymore. In your opinion, would any of us actually have the functional knowledge about these devices to know there would be a manual device to retract the barrier? I'm leaning towards no, unless someone has ranks in Industrial Mechanics.

I would say that no one would know because that the barrier had a manual override due to any learned skill, but I think that Overkill's 8 Logic would probably let him assume that there should be some way of doing this manually - assuming that the mechanism is still functioning. I'll throw up a post mentioning that.
Lobo0705
Overkill looks around the Matrix
8d6.hits(5)=1

Also - Jack,your post s/b 11:23, not 11:13 - if you want to edit it, but it isn't a big deal either way. (it is my fault since my post said 11:13 above yours, and it should have been 11:23)
Jack VII
I just copied it. I'll change it. Posted IC, will adjust that one too if it isn't congruent.
DrZaius
Grease will call the taxi to start proceeding to their location; I don't need to post IC to that effect to slow up any action here.
Lobo0705
Perception test based on sound

Jack
10d6.hits (5)=3

Grease
7d6.hits(5)=3

Amy
11d6.hits(5)=3

Overkill
7d6.hits(5)=3

So, with a threshold of 3, all of you successfully made the check.

IC post up in a moment

Jack VII
I have no clue what this is, LOL. Unless Rocky Mountain has a secret underground tram system of which we are unaware.

That or another damn spirit...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 10 2014, 02:55 PM) *
I have no clue what this is, LOL. Unless Rocky Mountain has a secret underground tram system of which we are unaware.

That or another damn spirit...

But isn't the fun part NOT knowing wink.gif

P.S. - it isn't really an issue since the rest of the team heard it, but I realize that technically Jack did not hear the noise, as the Noise rating is 3, which is higher than the device rating of his Ear buds, which would mean he would not get the +3 dice wireless bonus to his test. Again, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, but in case it comes up again, you don't get the bonus dice.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jun 10 2014, 03:00 PM) *
P.S. - it isn't really an issue since the rest of the team heard it, but I realize that technically Jack did not hear the noise, as the Noise rating is 3, which is higher than the device rating of his Ear buds, which would mean he would not get the +3 dice wireless bonus to his test. Again, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, but in case it comes up again, you don't get the bonus dice.

That's fine. Although there really needs to be higher-level quality equipment available for purchase, particularly for non-deckers/riggers.

ETA: Wait... does my Signal Scrub software not help with that? I don't remember if it was ruled that it only applied to using the commlink or if it served as normal NR. If the former, that should be the case for RCCs and Decks as well I would think? The rules imply that the Signal Scrub program provides standard NR.
Lobo0705
This is where we get into the problem of the ork traveling with the pack of weedy elves smile.gif

All of the characters except for Jack have a strength of 2 - which means they aren't carrying Blondie anywhere. Two of you could carry him together if you managed some sort of litter, or both of you could drag him over the ground (fortunately I don't think anyone cares if he gets some scrapes and cuts along the way) - but it will be slow going.

As far as I'm aware, the following is in the car the following (besides your own equipment)

Duffel bag with Krime Spree and ammo
5 commlinks
Hostage
Blondie

Jack is carrying the hostage, I'm picturing some sort of fireman's carry. Who wants to volunteer to grab Blondie? Overkill will help out whoever else offers - and then someone needs to get the duffel bag as well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012