Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Chrome Head
I vaguely remember that Overkill owns a headjammer, this situation is precisely what they're made for.

ETA: I liked your post Jack.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jul 24 2014, 06:37 PM) *
I vaguely remember that Overkill owns a headjammer, this situation is precisely what they're made for.

Excellent post Jack smile.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jul 24 2014, 05:37 PM) *

I think Jack has some restraints as well.

What I'd like to do:

Get Stinger bound, head-jammed, and in the trunk of the cab.

Before throwing him in there, I'd like to put one of my fly-spies in there to keep an eye on him.

I'd like to order the rotodrone to intercept us in whichever direction we end up going, and fly in formation about 300 meters up and 100 meters behind us.

Then, I'd like to drive us someplace quiet to have a conversation with Stinger. I'd lean towards the safe-house we already scoped out, but if we're being paranoid we should assume it's already been spotted, and find someplace new.

Alternatively, we could keep Stinger in the backseat, with Jack's gun on him.

-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 25 2014, 09:58 AM) *
I think Jack has some restraints as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have any restraints. I kept intending to buy some, but never did. The best we had were the lashings from the crosses, but those were left on Mr. Blonde who Overkill capped before leaving him for the tribals at Rocky Mountain.

I can keep a gun on him. Alternately, I can knock him unconscious and we could try to buy a set of metal restraints somewhere. I'm away from books, so I don't know if they have an availability rating. I imagine the only place we could find some this late at night would be a sex shop.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 25 2014, 11:16 AM) *
Unfortunately, I don't have any restraints. I kept intending to buy some, but never did. The best we had were the lashings from the crosses, but those were left on Mr. Blonde who Overkill capped before leaving him for the tribals at Rocky Mountain.

I can keep a gun on him. Alternately, I can knock him unconscious and we could try to buy a set of metal restraints somewhere. I'm away from books, so I don't know if they have an availability rating. I imagine the only place we could find some this late at night would be a sex shop.

WeaponsWorld is open 24/7: "For when it can't wait til morning!"

-DrZ
Lobo0705
Metal Restraints have no availability and are 20 nuyen.gif

Overkill would probably vote for knocking him unconscious - just to be on the safe side - and put the headjammer on anyway.

It is a fair bet that Stinger got a message off, and help could be arriving soon. No need to risk him being awake and causing any more trouble.

He would also vote for the safe house you were already at.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jul 25 2014, 01:26 PM) *
Metal Restraints have no availability and are 20 nuyen.gif

Overkill would probably vote for knocking him unconscious - just to be on the safe side - and put the headjammer on anyway.

It is a fair bet that Stinger got a message off, and help could be arriving soon. No need to risk him being awake and causing any more trouble.

He would also vote for the safe house you were already at.

Ok; so we knock him out, put the head jammer on, throw him in the trunk. We'll tell Overkill to go grab some restraints and meet us back at the safe house.

Sound good to everyone?

-DrZ
Jack VII
Sounds good. I assume I can knock him out relatively easily. Does Overkill have the headjammer with him? If not, he could run home and grab it as well as swing by a store to grab restraints and meet us at the safe house. I don't think Stinger is going to be capable of doing much without being conscious.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 25 2014, 12:41 PM) *
Sounds good. I assume I can knock him out relatively easily. Does Overkill have the headjammer with him? If not, he could run home and grab it as well as swing by a store to grab restraints and meet us at the safe house. I don't think Stinger is going to be capable of doing much without being conscious.

Well, I would be concerned about him giving one of his teammates access / a link to his deck, so they could run a trace on him while he was unconscious, leading them to our safehouse.

-DrZ
Chrome Head
I'm okay with all this. My character wouldn't think about it, but I think Overkill would double check for any wireless-enabled electronics/RFIDs that may be on Stinger and his equipment.
Jack VII
Assuming it isn't in his head, I could always break his deck. You know Lobo isn't going to let us keep that thing. smile.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 25 2014, 03:16 PM) *
Assuming it isn't in his head, I could always break his deck. You know Lobo isn't going to let us keep that thing. smile.gif

I'd hold off on that- I have a scheme for getting info out of him. We'll see if it works!

Basically Good Cop / Cop who doesn't know who he is, but has a lot of software indicating he murders people for a living

-DrZ
Jack VII
Of course, this assumes he even has a deck on him. If I were to take a guess, I would bet it would be headware. We haven't spotted a deck on him at this point and who would have left something that valuable in their car. I could be wrong, of course.
Lobo0705
I double checked - I did have Overkill bring his Headjammer smile.gif
Jack VII
Awesome, no breakee-the-deck then.

Not sure Lobo, do you want us to free-form here. Do you want to have Stinger make his first response here that we can RP against?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 25 2014, 02:47 PM) *
Awesome, no breakee-the-deck then.

Not sure Lobo, do you want us to free-form here. Do you want to have Stinger make his first response here that we can RP against?

Oh - I sort of assumed slamming him against the car was to knock him out - was I wrong?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jul 25 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Oh - I sort of assumed slamming him against the car was to knock him out - was I wrong?

I mostly tossed him against the car to be a dick. I put him in a 3/4 nelson to keep him from going anywhere, so I figured he was still awake, albeit pretty jacked up. It works just as well if that knocked him out, seeing as we need to skedaddle ASAP. I'll edit it and have Jack slam his head into the roof of the car.
DrZaius
So did we agree OOC to send someone to get restraints? Everyone cool with moving this party to the safe house? We could also torch the car, if we wanted to eliminate some evidence.

-DrZ
Jack VII
It would make sense for Overkill to grab them since he's on his bike. Since he doesn't have to go home to grab his headjammer, he should be able to make a quick pit stop relatively quickly. I can just imagine the scene though. Walking in at 3AM and buying one pair of handcuffs... LOL.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 28 2014, 10:34 AM) *
It would make sense for Overkill to grab them since he's on his bike. Since he doesn't have to go home to grab his headjammer, he should be able to make a quick pit stop relatively quickly. I can just imagine the scene though. Walking in at 3AM and buying one pair of handcuffs... LOL.

Lol - smile.gif

You guys can keep roleplaying - and moving the scenes along - I can put up a post about Overkill arriving at the house. Or do you want me to put up a transition scene?

I'm fine either way smile.gif

Jack VII
I can try to put up a transition scene. I'll wait a bit until everyone else has a chance to weigh in.
Chrome Head
I wish Amy had Mind Probe or Analyse Truth... of course we got an investigation run without any of those! nyahnyah.gif

She will, however, use a F5 Detect Life to scan the house before anyone goes in there again. While on the way before that she'll also summon a level 3 Beast spirit just to have a little backup and in case those rats came back while we were gone.
Lobo0705
Amy's Summoning Attempt
12d6.hits(5)=3

Spirit Resists
3d6.hits(5)=2

Amy resists drain
13d6.hits(5)=4

So 1 service, no drain

Casting Detect Life Force 5
12d6.hits(5)=2

Resist Drain
13d6.hits(5)=5

No Drain
Chrome Head
I made a post for this and am ready for the action to move to our arrival at the safehouse.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jul 28 2014, 02:57 PM) *
I made a post for this and am ready for the action to move to our arrival at the safehouse.

Added a transition-ish post of my own. I am also ready to transition to the safe house.

-DrZ
Jack VII
Works for me, I won't post anything until we have an establishing post at the safe-house. Jack doesn't really have anything to do in transit.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 28 2014, 03:12 PM) *
Works for me, I won't post anything until we have an establishing post at the safe-house. Jack doesn't really have anything to do in transit.

Transition post up!
DrZaius
Once we get inside, Grease is content to wait until Stinger comes to to start "interviewing" him.

-DrZ
Jack VII
Posted in response. Unless you want us to post specifics, I imagine we would deploy our usual security around the safe house. I could then try to wake him up using first aid. I'm going to wait to post more because I want to make sure that DrZ's plan was okay with me hogtying Stinger. If that's not kosher, I'll change the arrangement. (We could cuff him to the spirit...)
Lobo0705
Ok - so I'm just throwing it out there since no one has discussed it - and if anyone it would be Amy who would think of it - but realistically they won't be able to track you physically - but magically is another story. Falcon certainly knows Stinger well enough to have a spirit attempt to find him.

It may be metagaming, but just letting you know you are on the clock - and like I said, I think Amy would think of it.

ETA - to complicate matters, unless one of you has a stim patch, it is going to take an hour for Stinger to wake up - and that started from the time you knocked him out about 22 minutes ago in game.

ETTA - Jack - if you want to modify Overkill's cash to subtract 40 nuyen.gif
Jack VII
I believe first aid can heal stun damage, correct? I think I have 9 dice with wireless turned on the medkit.

I will modify Overkill's finances right now.

ETA: Is a Colt Agent Special the same thing as a Colt Agent?

EATA: I'm guessing Amy can't build a mana barrier, can she? That would theoretically buy us time.
Chrome Head
Hmm the magic thing is a problem, yes. I agree Amy would probably think of it, she has good intuition about those things after all.

The best option would be to go underground somehow... Is there an easy way to do that?

Otherwise, the best thing to do would probably be to prepare for the worse. Are we ready to take on Lynx' crew tonight?
Jack VII
Well, the nice thing is that we've taken down most of what I would think would be the muscle of the crew. We still obviously have to deal with a mage (and I would bet my Colt Falcon was the initiated dude Amy saw on the night she went into LM territory) and the rigger, which can be difficult if we don't neutralize them quickly. Lynx is obviously pretty deadly as well.

I'm mostly worried on not being able to complete the second part of the mission as far as uncovering the conspirators. I imagine they would be quick to get rid of evidence if they catch wind that Lynx's crew went down. If we can get them to talk, that might solve that problem. We still need to arrange to turn Lynx's crew over to the FRZ folks. We haven't made contact with them yet at all.

ETA: If Amy calls a Spirit with the Concealment power, it adds to the threshold. On top of that, each kilometer from where the spirit starts searching adds 1 to the threshold. I'd have to take a look at the map in order to figure out how many klicks we're actually away, but it should be a few (assuming they don't, for some reason, start looking from a closer location).

EATA: Hmm, that might be a problem. There are two South Flanders Courts in Aurora (one in 80015 and one in 80016). I had assumed we were at the one fairly far away from where we intercepted Stinger. If we are actually at the other one, we're only like 3 kilometers away rather than the 20 or 30 that I was hoping for...
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 28 2014, 08:06 PM) *
Well, the nice thing is that we've taken down most of what I would think would be the muscle of the crew. We still obviously have to deal with a mage (and I would bet my Colt Falcon was the initiated dude Amy saw on the night she went into LM territory) and the rigger, which can be difficult if we don't neutralize them quickly. Lynx is obviously pretty deadly as well.

I'm mostly worried on not being able to complete the second part of the mission as far as uncovering the conspirators. I imagine they would be quick to get rid of evidence if they catch wind that Lynx's crew went down. If we can get them to talk, that might solve that problem. We still need to arrange to turn Lynx's crew over to the FRZ folks. We haven't made contact with them yet at all.

ETA: If Amy calls a Spirit with the Concealment power, it adds to the threshold. On top of that, each kilometer from where the spirit starts searching adds 1 to the threshold. I'd have to take a look at the map in order to figure out how many klicks we're actually away, but it should be a few (assuming they don't, for some reason, start looking from a closer location).

EATA: Hmm, that might be a problem. There are two South Flanders Courts in Aurora (one in 80015 and one in 80016). I had assumed we were at the one fairly far away from where we intercepted Stinger. If we are actually at the other one, we're only like 3 kilometers away rather than the 20 or 30 that I was hoping for...

Does the difficulty of the test even matter? I think it's an extended test after all. I guess buying us extra time is already a very good thing. Also, if we're done with him, we can start moving as far away as possible and it will become impossible to find Stinger/us. Or you know.. if they find that he's at a police station or in a ditch and we're long gone.

So yeah.. maybe it's time to call up a more potent spirit once again.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jul 28 2014, 08:32 PM) *
Does the difficulty of the test even matter? I think it's an extended test after all. I guess buying us extra time is already a very good thing.

It could. Extended tests face a reduction in dice each time they are rolled (in this case, each hour). A spirit is going to roll Magic + Intuition (in most cases Fx2). The starting threshold is 5 adjusted for distance, mana barriers, concealment power, etc. A lot of it depends on how powerful and what type of spirit Falcon summons to find Stinger.
Lobo0705
It is approximately 11 km from Los Mags territory to the safe house on South Flanders Court (the safehouse is on the South Flanders court that is east of South Tower Road).

It is also only 3 or so km from the ambush site to the safe house (as the spirit flies).

So, assuming that Falcon has the spirit start its search from the ambush site (worst possible case) - it will roll - assuming a Force 5 spirit lets say, 10 dice, needing 5 hits base, with each test taking an hour.

That threshold of 5 is increased by 3 since the safe house is 3 km away from the ambush site. Assume you use the Beast spirits one service to Conceal Stinger, that reduces the dice pool from 10 to 7.

Which means, assuming a Force 5 spirit, it would be impossible to find you in under an hour, and more than likely it would take 3 hours for it to find you.

Just some number crunching.

I'm assuming you want to try the First Aid on Stinger once he is secured:

Skill 3 + Wireless Medkit 3 + Logic 3

We will be generous and call this Average Conditions, -1 die
Patient has implants, -2 dice

So a total of 6 dice.

6d6.hits(5)=1

Having rolled that, I realize that it probably would be helpful for Overkill to assist with a Teamwork test with his massive 8 Logic - reduced to 7 for defaulting:
7d6.hits(5)=1

Which lets Jack roll one more die:
1d6.hits(5)=1

Which is important in that it means that there is no glitch.

However, that is still only 2 hits, which just meets the threshold of the First Aid test - and no damage is healed.

Did you want to use Edge? (as the First Aid skill is one you actually have, as opposed to having it Chipped).

Last but not least - I'm not sure if I should apply the -2 for uncooperative patient - as I'm not sure if that means simply unconscious or actively fighting you. Your thoughts on that?

ETA - Yes, I called it the Colt Agent, but it is the Colt Agent Special from Gun Heaven. I'm thinking that as a character in game, you would probably just call it the Colt Agent or an Agent rather than a Colt Agent Special - simply for ease of speech.
Jack VII
I'm not spending Edge on him. I don't think the uncooperative rule would apply unless he was actually able to interfere with our attempts to heal him. You can't be uncooperative unless you're conscious. He'll hopefully come to on his own. It;s funny that, without training, the medkits that most untrained people would have access to (R1/R2s) don't actually do them any good since they can't exceed the threshold for the healing test. Funny stuff that the designers did a not terribly good job of implementing.

I wasn't sure if there were different weapon types. Sometimes they have other versions of a firearm that are a "special" version that have extended mags or other such stuff. I was just checking.

ETA: Huh, I wonder if this is intended or errata. It says if you default on a First Aid test with a Medkit, you use Intuition rather than Logic (p.208). That can't be right...
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 28 2014, 11:50 PM) *
I'm not spending Edge on him. I don't think the uncooperative rule would apply unless he was actually able to interfere with our attempts to heal him. You can't be uncooperative unless you're conscious. He'll hopefully come to on his own. It;s funny that, without training, the medkits that most untrained people would have access to (R1/R2s) don't actually do them any good since they can't exceed the threshold for the healing test. Funny stuff that the designers did a not terribly good job of implementing.

I wasn't sure if there were different weapon types. Sometimes they have other versions of a firearm that are a "special" version that have extended mags or other such stuff. I was just checking.

ETA: Huh, I wonder if this is intended or errata. It says if you default on a First Aid test with a Medkit, you use Intuition rather than Logic (p.208). That can't be right...

It FEELS like I should attach the heart monitor to his chest...

I am hoping to wake him up and talk to him for half an hour or so. If that doesn't work, we can deal with him and skip out. Hog-tying him is fine, so long as we can get him in a chair for the interrogation.

-DrZ
DrZaius
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 29 2014, 09:20 AM) *
It FEELS like I should attach the heart monitor to his chest...

I am hoping to wake him up and talk to him for half an hour or so. If that doesn't work, we can deal with him and skip out. Hog-tying him is fine, so long as we can get him in a chair for the interrogation.

-DrZ

I will add that there's no reason we can't stay on the move while talking to stinger, if that's what we prefer- and drive away from Los Mags while we do it.

I agree, a basement would probably be ideal.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 28 2014, 11:50 PM) *

It depends what they mean by uncooperative. Does it mean that he is not cooperating (i.e. not actively helping) or does it mean he is actively trying to resist you? Either way I am not applying it to this test, but I'm curious what the "official" word is.

I just reread page 208 - and I see no mention of using Intuition...

"If the character is untrained, she
can still make an untrained First Aid test using her Logic
attribute minus 1 die and the device’s rating in place of
her First Aid skill."

Did I miss something?
Jack VII
Mine says:

"If the character is untrained, she
can still make an untrained First Aid test using her Intuition
attribute minus 1 die and the device’s rating in
place of her First Aid skill."

I guess I should probably download the most updated copy and see if the reference has changed.

From my limited medical training, you usually don't want the patient to do much more than lie there. As a GM, I would go with uncooperative being an active deal, but that's just me. Otherwise, anytime someone is unconscious, you get an automatic -2 to your dice pool, which seems rather excessive given all of the other potential modifiers and thresholds given (2 or 3, depending on the task).

ETA: Yup, it must have been errata. It's correct in the most current version.
Lobo0705
Fair enough on the uncooperative - as you said it is difficult already.

This means with the unsuccessful First Aid task - which probably takes a couple minutes - you still have about 40 minutes before he wakes up. What is the plan?
Jack VII
If DrZ wants him in a chair, I'll have to adjust the restraints. No way he is sitting down in the way he's secured right now.

Other than that, I think DrZ has a plan, so I'm happy to defer.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jul 29 2014, 11:17 AM) *
If DrZ wants him in a chair, I'll have to adjust the restraints. No way he is sitting down in the way he's secured right now.

Other than that, I think DrZ has a plan, so I'm happy to defer.

@Lobo: If you're cool with FFW'ding 40 minutes, I can post IC.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 29 2014, 11:25 AM) *
@Lobo: If you're cool with FFW'ding 40 minutes, I can post IC.

-DrZ

I think we have two issues that need to be worked out.

1) There should be some discussion IC about the magic threat

2) How are you planning on making him talk? As discussed before, Overkill is not going to stand by while you torture this guy for information, so some thought probably needs to go into that.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jul 29 2014, 10:35 AM) *
I think we have two issues that need to be worked out.

1) There should be some discussion IC about the magic threat

2) How are you planning on making him talk? As discussed before, Overkill is not going to stand by while you torture this guy for information, so some thought probably needs to go into that.

I am not planning on starting with torture. cyber.gif

-DrZ

Per the magical threat; if Chrome or Jack could comment that Grease is "on the clock"; I can post an intro to the convo with Stinger (if that makes sense). Or I can do it in my IC post with their permission.

Chrome Head
I posted to get things started. I think Amy will summon a F5 spirit so that all 5 of us can be concealed, and to further increase the difficulty of the test. I'd go for an Air Spirit with Elemental Attack.. could come in handy if another fight breaks out.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Jul 29 2014, 01:37 PM) *
I posted to get things started. I think Amy will summon a F5 spirit so that all 5 of us can be concealed, and to further increase the difficulty of the test. I'd go for an Air Spirit with Elemental Attack.. could come in handy if another fight breaks out.

Amy releases the Beast spirit and summons a Force 5 spirit of Air

12d6.hits(5)=1

Spirit resists
5d6.hits(5)=1

The summoning is unsuccessful

Resist drain
13d6.hits(5)=3

No Drain

Assuming Amy would want to try again...
12d6.hits(5)=7

reduced to 5 hits by limit

Spirit Resists
5d6.hits(5)=2

Amy resists Drain
13d6.hits(5)=6

No Drain and 3 services.
DrZaius
IC post is up. If Amy / Jack would like, I can edit it so the first portion is my 1st post, they can do stuff in the remaining 40 minutes, and I can re-post the 2nd half after that.

-DrZ

Charisma (6), Intimidation (3), NPC Attitude Hostile (-3), Desired Result is Advantageous to Target (+1), Subject has known street rep (- ??), Subject has Ace in the hole (? +2 to his resist, if so), Characters outnumber subject (+2), Character is causing (or has caused) physical pain (+2), Subject is physically imposing (? +1 to 3 to his DP), Subject thinks "Character wouldn't do anything that stupid" (? +2 DP to him if true).
Chrome Head
Amy will use two services right away: 1) Conceal all five of us. 2) Surveillance for astral forms searching for us, or looking at us too closely.. if you see one, assense it for signature/link/whatever and report.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012