Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Chrome Head
IP 2

Amy attempts to banish the spirit again.
10d6.hits(5)=2

Drain
13d6.hits(5)=6

ETA:
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Sorry guys frown.gif
No worries, we're all making some rules mistake and trying to figure things out. As the mage, I try to stay sharp on the magical front smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 01:33 PM) *
I'm thinking that until the power wears off - it lasts one CT per net hit - so it will wear off at the end of next combat turn - Grease isn't going to be interested in how to get around the spirit and back to the park. He is going to be trying to get the hell out of there.

Now, after that combat turn, he can make another Will+Logic test with a threshold of 2 to try and face the spirit again.

I guess it would depend on whether Grease would consider a point 600 meters away to be in the vicinity of the enemy spirit. In any event, if Amy just got into range of her spirit, it's going to take it 40 CTs to get to us based on its movement speed. I was hoping that she would have been within range of it on Smoky Hill Road and tell it to move first. The way this is playing out, we're definitely not going to be able to wait around for the spirit to move itself to our position.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 02:38 PM) *
I guess it would depend on whether Grease would consider a point 600 meters away to be in the vicinity of the enemy spirit.

It's defined as safely out of sight of the spirit.

ETA: And yeah we probably need to get to the south side of the park and get the stuff from the spirit there.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 02:38 PM) *
I guess it would depend on whether Grease would consider a point 600 meters away to be in the vicinity of the enemy spirit. In any event, if Amy just got into range of her spirit, it's going to take it 40 CTs to get to us based on its movement speed. I was hoping that she would have been within range of it on Smoky Hill Road and tell it to move first. The way this is playing out, we're definitely not going to be able to wait around for the spirit to move itself to our position.

What I meant by getting out of there, is that the spirit is going to be following you, attacking/using its powers. For me, the terror is more visceral, and less tactical. I don't see it as him thinking "Got to get away from this spirit, I know, I'll loop around behind it, cut down Chambers and then up toward the park again."

I see it more as "Holy Crap its right behind me - RUN!"
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 01:38 PM) *
So, all is well that ends well, in that the spirit would have used it on Grease (as he is the driver), and the rest of you passed the test anyway (had you failed, we would have negated that failure).

Sorry guys frown.gif

Depending on whether car windows are mirrored like building windows, it might not have been able to target us at all. I don't like that interpretation though and am glad that we can freely target enemies in vehicles.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 02:42 PM) *
Depending on whether car windows are mirrored like building windows, it might not have been able to target us at all. I don't like that interpretation though and am glad that we can freely target enemies in vehicles.

I never liked that either. I can picture some really high end security vehicles having that, but not the average car driven around town.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:42 PM) *
What I meant by getting out of there, is that the spirit is going to be following you, attacking/using its powers. For me, the terror is more visceral, and less tactical. I don't see it as him thinking "Got to get away from this spirit, I know, I'll loop around behind it, cut down Chambers and then up toward the park again."

I see it more as "Holy Crap its right behind me - RUN!"

That was my interpretation as well.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 02:38 PM) *
IP 2

Amy attempts to banish the spirit again.
10d6.hits(5)=2

Drain
13d6.hits(5)=6

ETA:
No worries, we're all making some rules mistake and trying to figure things out. As the mage, I try to stay sharp on the magical front smile.gif

Thanks - I appreciate the help smile.gif

Never worry about pointing out a rules issue, as I'd rather get it right than not, and I can adjust on the fly if we misunderstand something.

Spirit resists Banish
5d6.hits(5)=3

So you are unable to knock any more services off of it, and you are still able to resist the 6DV worth of drain (I've never seen someone be so consistent on their drain rolls - its awesome smile.gif)
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:46 PM) *
So you are unable to knock any more services off of it, and you are still able to resist the 6DV worth of drain (I've never seen someone be so consistent on their drain rolls - its awesome smile.gif)

Awesome for as long as it lasts. I can easily roll 0 or 1 success on 13 dice just as well.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:13 PM) *
IP 2
Amy 18 - Banish
Grease 13 - accelerate
Enemy Earth Spirit 9 - Use Fear Power Again
Overkill 7 - Delay
Mage 7 - Delay
Jack 6 - Delay
Amy's Earth Spirit 3

Spirit lumbers toward the fleeing car, and attempts to hit Grease with the Fear Power again
10d6.hits (5)=4

Grease resists:
5d6.hits(5)=2

Jack VII
Oh, I don't doubt Grease is totally in terror, I'm just trying to give him a suggestion for which way he should flee. Actually, I guess going into detail was probably the wrong idea as he would associate the park with the spirit in any event.

I guess we just pack this one up then.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:51 PM) *
Spirit lumbers toward the fleeing car, and attempts to hit Grease with the Fear Power again
10d6.hits (5)=4

Grease resists:
5d6.hits(5)=2

I am a little curious here- would Grease not be able to get out of the spirit's sightline by then? The car is pretty quick, and I thought the spirit had materialized.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 12:50 PM) *
Awesome for as long as it lasts. I can easily roll 0 or 1 success on 13 dice just as well.

Done that before.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Mar 20 2014, 01:54 PM) *
I am a little curious here- would Grease not be able to get out of the spirit's sightline by then? The car is pretty quick, and I thought the spirit had materialized.

Actually, yes. I take that back. (Using actual roads has its benefits, as Google Earth puts it in scale).

The curve of S. Fraser Way would put you beyond LOS of the spirit. So, the spirit's 2nd action would be just to move. (a whopping 12 meters, compared to your 320)

This would put you back to Smoky Hill

IP 2
Amy 18 - Banish
Grease 13 - accelerate
Enemy Earth Spirit 9 - Move
Overkill 7 - Delay
Mage 7 - Delay
Jack 6 - Delay
Amy's Earth Spirit 3
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Actually, yes. I take that back. (Using actual roads has its benefits, as Google Earth puts it in scale).

The curve of S. Fraser Way would put you beyond LOS of the spirit. So, the spirit's 2nd action would be just to move. (a whopping 12 meters, compared to your 320)

Oops. So in the original plan OP, I had indicated South Fraser Court, but meant South Frasier Circle. They are the smaller roads to the east of South Frasier Way. Probably doesn't matter now.
Chrome Head
In IP2, Amy will also take a free action to ask her earth spirit if he's found the commlinks.

Also, did you say we move 320m in 3 seconds!?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 02:09 PM) *
In IP2, Amy will also take a free action to ask her earth spirit if he's found the commlinks.

Also, did you say we move 320m in 3 seconds!?

That is the "Running" rate for his car with the CR 2
Jack VII
Speed rules for vehicles break down incredibly fast when you introduce control rigs (not to mention the movement power of spirits). One suggestion to fix it was that the CR only affects the limit, rather than the actual rating for speed (in fact, there is an inconsistency between the rigger chapter and the gear section on this that was apparently corrected in the German edition). I think someone figured out you could incinerate the Earth with a CR3 and a motorcycle. I'll have to find that post somewhere.

Found it
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 03:13 PM) *
That is the "Running" rate for his car with the CR 2

Wow! That's 239 mph, or 384 km/h! eek.gif

Welcome to the future biggrin.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 03:17 PM) *
Wow! That's 239 mph, or 384 km/h! eek.gif

Welcome to the future biggrin.gif

The spoiler is definitely working overtime. I feel my "runway" comment was apt, given that piece of info.
Jack VII
Removed my IC text since we actually aren't where I thought we were. It would make sense if we were exiting onto Chambers, less so that we are exiting onto Smoky Hill.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 03:15 PM) *
Speed rules for vehicles break down incredibly fast when you introduce control rigs (not to mention the movement power of spirits). One suggestion to fix it was that the CR only affects the limit, rather than the actual rating for speed (in fact, there is an inconsistency between the rigger chapter and the gear section on this that was apparently corrected in the German edition). I think someone figured out you could incinerate the Earth with a CR3 and a motorcycle. I'll have to find that post somewhere.

Found it

Ah - good!

So, your BMW with its speed of 4 (not increased by the CR) now only moves 160 m/CT (or about 120 mph). Down a curved side street smile.gif

Good thing you are such a good rigger, or there would be a big hole in one of the houses...
Lobo0705
Ok - so, what is the next move?

The earth spirit of the mage can't catch you, and by next CT Grease will be on Smoky Hill already when the Fear Power wears off.

Let's just do a preemptive roll to see if you are willing to go back:

5d6.hits(5)=2

So, yes - you are strongwilled enough to overcome the Fear power if you wish and head back into Yak territory.

What are you planning on doing? (You can do that IC - assume each of you have a full 3 seconds to speak).
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 02:32 PM) *
So, your BMW with its speed of 4 (not increased by the CR) now only moves 160 m/CT (or about 120 mph). Down a curved side street smile.gif

Doesn't it have a Speed Rating of 6 without the CR? Isn't it basically a Hyundai Shin-Hyung?
Chrome Head
Can I use a last action to attempt a banish one more time?

And has my spirit answered my question?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 03:38 PM) *
Doesn't it have a Speed Rating of 6 without the CR? Isn't it basically a Hyundai Shin-Hyung?

CRAP - read the line for the Honda spirit (one line above)

SOOOOO, as I was saying...

Ah - good!

So, your BMW with its speed of 6 (not increased by the CR) now only moves 320 m/CT (or about 240 mph). Down a curved side street smile.gif

Good thing you are such a good rigger, or there would be a big hole in one of the houses...
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 03:42 PM) *

In case you missed it since you posted at the same time and there was a page change.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Mar 20 2014, 03:42 PM) *

You can't banish the spirit, because you can't see it anymore (as it is around the corner).

I didn't see a question - maybe I missed it. The spirit would have had 1 action where you were in communication range - so it would have answered it, yes.

What is it, and I'll answer.
Jack VII
She asked if it had found the links.

ETA: I edited my post with a different text and some flavor description of Mr. Grease's Wild Ride
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 02:45 PM) *
She asked if it had found the links.

Ah - okay, then yes, the spirit had found them.
Lobo0705
Double post
Chrome Head
At this point, we just need to keep the initiative, act quickly, get what we need, and bug out.
Jack VII
I don't care how badly this thing goes, this made it all worthwhile:

Overkill meanwhile, smiles to himself as you can hear in the distance the sound of automatic weapons fire over the beating of your hearts at the near miss...
DrZaius
Grease will reluctantly head back towards Amy's spirit, trying to select a route to avoid the monstrosity that made him leak some washer fluid.

-DrZ
Jack VII
I mean, if the spirit hasn't left yet, the closest place for us to meet it would be where Grease picked us up earlier... but I would be worried there would be a bunch of Yaks hanging out in that area.
Always Overkill
K, got a couple questions.

1) Is the group of Yaks I have MARKed still in the area where we are going to meet the spirit?
2) How is my OS doing?

If my OS is getting to high, I think I will just Brick all their weapons in the name of removing dangerous assault weapons from the streets while I have the chance.
Chrome Head
@Jack

The spirit hasn't moved yet, as per Amy's instructions. I also think we should go that way.

@Overkill

If you have access to the information of some of the commlinks, use their GPS to determine where they are located.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 20 2014, 04:47 PM) *
K, got a couple questions.

1) Is the group of Yaks I have MARKed still in the area where we are going to meet the spirit?
2) How is my OS doing?

If my OS is getting to high, I think I will just Brick all their weapons in the name of removing dangerous assault weapons from the streets while I have the chance.

Yes, they are still there, and not moving.

Your OS hasn't moved, since they go 0 successes on their resistance to your Control Device Test.

You have one action left before they all shut down their wireless (They aren't stupid, and all 3 of their weapons discharging is sort of a giveaway that there is a Decker lurking around them).

This is assuming they are still alive, and not victims of a stray bullet or 60...
Jack VII
Quick correction for everyone. The last few positional locations have been listed as "South side of Sagebrush Park" I think we're currently located on "E. Smokey Hill Road."

Posting an IC response to Amy.
Always Overkill
I will hit one with a Dataspike before I may as well jack out, no reason to stay online once they disconnect their wireless and my MARKs are gone.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 20 2014, 06:20 PM) *
I will hit one with a Dataspike before I may as well jack out, no reason to stay online once they disconnect their wireless and my MARKs are gone.

Cybercombat 6+Logic 8 - 2 uncompensated noise
12d6.hits(5)=1

Wow.

Defense
5d6.hits(5)=1

Your Matrix attack has no effect.

I see what is happening now. Chrome has somehow acquired Longshot's Probability Manipulation (if you were a fan of X-men, you'll know what I mean) - stealing all the good luck for himself, and shifting all the bad luck onto Overkill and Jack...
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 10:27 PM) *
I see what is happening now. Chrome has somehow acquired Longshot's Probability Manipulation (if you were a fan of X-men, you'll know what I mean) - stealing all the good luck for himself, and shifting all the bad luck onto Overkill and Jack...

Apologies embarrassed.gif

So what's next? Does Amy find a manabolt toting maniac when she looks out? Does Grease slow down a little? Do we make it to the south end of the park unharmed?

I can't wait to find out in the next episode of .. Flower-eaters and a Tusker, LIVE! on RunnerTV.
Jack VII
How many hours until sunrise?

ETA: I ask because if we can't get close to the park, Amy can still tell the spirit to bring the stuff to her. The spirit could then use Assensing to do Astral Tracking to find her, presumably it can use Amy's astral signature that is present on it to track her down. We flee into Fronts territory and wait there.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 20 2014, 10:47 PM) *
How many hours until sunrise?

ETA: I ask because if we can't get close to the park, Amy can still tell the spirit to bring the stuff to her. The spirit could then use Assensing to do Astral Tracking to find her, presumably it can use Amy's astral signature that is present on it to track her down. We flee into Fronts territory and wait there.

Sunrise is at 7:00 AM - so about 3 hours.

It can track her down that way - just bear in mind it moves about 6 meters per turn walking, and 12 meters per turn running - so it may take a little while to meet you smile.gif
Chrome Head
Nah we need to get close, for sure. In the park at least, the spirit can move faster.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 20 2014, 10:00 PM) *
It can track her down that way - just bear in mind it moves about 6 meters per turn walking, and 12 meters per turn running - so it may take a little while to meet you smile.gif

It's got the Agility of an average human. Figure 3 miles an hour walking IRL (In SR5 an average human clears a mile in about 14 minutes at a brisk pace (AGIx2)), Fronts territory is less than a mile north of the park. It doesn't seem like it would take that long, plus I don't see why it couldn't just dig the entire way?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Mar 21 2014, 12:37 AM) *
It's got the Agility of an average human. Figure 3 miles an hour walking IRL (In SR5 an average human clears a mile in about 14 minutes at a brisk pace (AGIx2)), Fronts territory is less than a mile north of the park. It doesn't seem like it would take that long, plus I don't see why it couldn't just dig the entire way?

That's the correct amount of time - I'm just saying that 15 minutes is an eternity in combat.

It can move through the earth the whole way, but at some point it has to come up, and that has to be through earth, not concrete. You'd have to meet it at some other park.
Always Overkill
Damn you Chrome, and your Longshot Probablility Manipulation!!! (jk) BIG X men fan, though I am far from a sage on most of the comics.

Oh well, I accomplished what I needed to; and emptying the mags on their guns like that was PRICELESS.

Off-topic: Who was the mutant with 5 second foresight? Was it Maverick?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Mar 21 2014, 06:49 AM) *
Damn you Chrome, and your Longshot Probablility Manipulation!!! (jk) BIG X men fan, though I am far from a sage on most of the comics.

Oh well, I accomplished what I needed to; and emptying the mags on their guns like that was PRICELESS.

Off-topic: Who was the mutant with 5 second foresight? Was it Maverick?

Maverick was a Weapon X guy - healing factor, Vibranium suit - no foresight.

I'm honestly not sure who the foresight guy is.

Back on topic - Grease, although you've mastered your fear (dice-wise), are you making the decision to go back? If so, how are you going?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Mar 21 2014, 08:05 AM) *
Maverick was a Weapon X guy - healing factor, Vibranium suit - no foresight.

I'm honestly not sure who the foresight guy is.

Back on topic - Grease, although you've mastered your fear (dice-wise), are you making the decision to go back? If so, how are you going?

As I stated, if the group is insisting, Grease will go back in a wide loop (probably going west as far as he can before he runs into the CAS sector, then north).

-DrZ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012