Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 7 2014, 04:47 PM) *
EATA: Actually, I'm not sure where the King's Inn is, so it might not be that close. I was thinking about it in reference to Mary Jane Kelly's house.

The King's Inn is close to Schaefer's - I'll put up an address later.
Always Overkill
Out of paranoia, Drave will be setting his Agent to run silent and make some Matrix Perception checks to see if there are any hackers lurking about possibly monitoring their progress.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 6 2014, 04:32 PM) *
I need one for when you examine:

1) A Host
2) A file
3) An icon

@Overkill: Here are my suggestions if you haven't already handled this via PM. Just doing top three that I would want.

1) Grid, Rating, Firewall
2) Data Bomb, Protection, Last Edit Date
3) Grid, Device Rating, Commcode (If Commlink) / Programs Running (If Persona) / MARKs on Icon (If Device)
Lobo0705
Good morning smile.gif

1) Put up the King's Inn in the Locations document
2) Added the next post for Amy and Overkill
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 7 2014, 07:59 PM) *
@Overkill: Here are my suggestions if you haven't already handled this via PM. Just doing top three that I would want.

1) Grid, Rating, Firewall
2) Data Bomb, Protection, Last Edit Date
3) Grid, Device Rating, Commcode (If Commlink) / Programs Running (If Persona) / MARKs on Icon (If Device)

These options look good for the default info from my Matrix Perception checks. I will use these going forward.
Jack VII
I'm just going to say that if it turns out Argent killed Jackson and we were to find out before/during our meet, it might change things... LOL
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 8 2014, 10:08 AM) *
I'm just going to say that if it turns out Argent killed Jackson and we were to find out before/during our meet, it might change things... LOL

ROFLMAO
Always Overkill
And the kid said she told him about green pills, perhaps Crimson Fire is just one of a whole line of designer drugs coming out of Los Mags territory, green ones could be Emerald Haze or something.

Playing Captain Obvious over here, but I am starting to suspect that several of these cops were killed immediately after linking parts of the case together to prevent them from making progress in uncovering any of the key figures within the conspiracy. Which is probably why the Johnson couldn't start the investigation up again himself within the department. Ramirez knows he would be as good as dead if he started asking the questions some of the slain officers did.

In any case, we will have to remain on our toes, anyone willing to spill this much uniform blood just to keep them from asking too many of the wrong questions won't bat an eyelash at taking out a group of Shadowrunners playing P.I. from out of the Warrens.
Always Overkill
Having trouble finding it, but Chrome mentioned a while back about a program I could download that would allow me to open some of the Office files in the Dropbox I don't have on my PC, and cannot open. I am eager to take a peak at the Association Matrix that's up there.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 8 2014, 12:54 PM) *
Having trouble finding it, but Chrome mentioned a while back about a program I could download that would allow me to open some of the Office files in the Dropbox I don't have on my PC, and cannot open. I am eager to take a peak at the Association Matrix that's up there.

Try OpenOffice. It's a free download, easy to use.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 8 2014, 10:46 AM) *
And the kid said she told him about green pills, perhaps Crimson Fire is just one of a whole line of designer drugs coming out of Los Mags territory, green ones could be Emerald Haze or something.

Could be. He's also relating what he remembers from over a month ago. Considering Jackson was killed in front of his eyes immediately after telling him that and then he had a gun pointed in his face (not a fun experience, mind you), it may be simply an issue of unreliable narrator. We'll have to see if anymore green pills turn up in the future.

ETA: With the way things are going, Amy should just plunk down the 9 karma to pick up a rank in Con and the Seduction specialization.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 8 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Could be. He's also relating what he remembers from over a month ago. Considering Jackson was killed in front of his eyes immediately after telling him that and then he had a gun pointed in his face (not a fun experience, mind you), it may be simply an issue of unreliable narrator. We'll have to see if anymore green pills turn up in the future.

ETA: With the way things are going, Amy should just plunk down the 9 karma to pick up a rank in Con and the Seduction specialization.

I don't think she's doing such a great job? She hates doing it. But buying a point in Con was in my plans.

And about the pills, I don't put too much meaning into what this guy is telling us, he's far from reliable as a witness. We'll need camera footage.
Jack VII
Overkill, I just made a PDF copy of the association matrix, if you want to check it out. I probably should use alternating color bands to help distinguish things.
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 8 2014, 12:21 PM) *
Overkill, I just made a PDF copy of the association matrix, if you want to check it out. I probably should use alternating color bands to help distinguish things.

Awesome, thanks!

@chrome- Does your character have a pseudonym she wants to use while investigating? Drave would like introduce you when approaching people, it helps to leave them without any questions they would need to ask us, but he doesn't want to just hand out your real name.

also-

Chrome bringing up karma reminded me of something I asked a while ago but I think was missed. How are we working karma for this game?
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 8 2014, 12:21 PM) *

Awesome, thanks!

@chrome- Does your character have a pseudonym she wants to use while investigating? Drave would like introduce you when approaching people, it helps to leave them without any questions they would need to ask us, but he doesn't want to just hand out your real name.

also-

Chrome bringing up karma reminded me of something I asked a while ago but I think was missed. How are we working karma for this game?
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 8 2014, 01:32 PM) *

I was thinking she'd get a street name organically if people start calling her different names and one sticks for some reason. You know, the way nicknames are born. Currently she doesn't, but while investigating she can call herself anything else than Amy.
Always Overkill
K, I will just throw one out the next time he takes the lead.

Drave's will remain the stereotypical Eurotrash names if you need to throw a new one out yourself. Its a moot point what it is, as the 6'3" German Elf is going to be memorable enough to anyone trying to follow our trail.
DrZaius
I think we will wait to see how all this stuff plays out. It may make more sense for us to join up with the other team once their end of things are resolved. Otherwise, I have a few schemes in mind for getting Emily Sanders to talk to us (presuming she's still alive). Amy / Overkill's line of investigation seems more fruitful at this point; we just have the killers to track down (and I think the way to do that is to figure out how they are involved in the other cases).

-DrZ
Lobo0705
As far as karma, I was thinking normal karma rewards, as if we were playing an adventure - the same way the money you earn is the same had we been playing this PnP.
Jack VII
FYI: CGL released an initial errata document for the SR5 BBB. It's only 4 pages so far but has some interesting stuff in it. I dropped a copy of it into the Sourcebook folder on the Dropbox.

ETA: I don't think it effects anyone all that much. Most of the changes were carried over from the Missions Hot Fix Errata. A few new changes that do effect folks:

1) The Resist Pain spell's DV is now F-4.
2) CGL has clarified that they do, indeed, hate sneaky hackers. The one table that apparently had Crack File limited by Sleaze has had that entry removed.

That's about it, everything else is either general rules stuff or not really relevant to us (some Technomancer stuff, etc).
Always Overkill
Silly Question on the map: I was looking at it, and read the entry for Joe's Cup of Soy. Was there actually a chain based in Seattle called that?

If there was such a chain in the SR universe; I had never heard of it. I thought I just made that name up, lol

Thought that would be an amusing sidenote.
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 9 2014, 12:22 AM) *
2) CGL has clarified that they do, indeed, hate sneaky hackers. The one table that apparently had Crack File limited by Sleaze has had that entry removed.

We get no love.

I guess CGL prefers hackers who just bust through Host walls like the Kool-aid Man
Lobo0705
Thanks for putting it in the dropbox smile.gif

1) The other thing worth mentioning is that they clarified how recoil works - it basically means unless you are using full auto or semi-auto burst you will never have recoil go from round to round (which is fine, but I'm glad they clarified that).

2) Sorry Overkill - looks like you will have to wait until the Matrix book to be able to hang out in Hosts undetected frown.gif

With regards to the game - Overkill and Amy - what's next on the agenda?
Always Overkill
Well we have an hour before the manager returns, we will see if he will let us look at the footage and save the trouble of having to hack it.

Otherwise I am suggesting to Amy that we cruise over to the Manuel scene and check that out while we wait, poke around for witnesses and potential security cams. The details on his murder are pretty slim, so it would be good to find some info to add to the files.

After that, we can hopefully meet back up with Jack and Grease when they return from the Hub to compare our progress for the day.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 9 2014, 05:03 AM) *
Silly Question on the map: I was looking at it, and read the entry for Joe's Cup of Soy. Was there actually a chain based in Seattle called that?

Sorry, no. I was implying that it was a former Starbucks. Improvising...

The other thing worth mentioning is that they clarified how recoil works - it basically means unless you are using full auto or semi-auto burst you will never have recoil go from round to round (which is fine, but I'm glad they clarified that).

I think you could though if you just kept pulling the trigger on an SA weapon though, couldn't you? I mean, I think it works better the way they've described it. Since there is s o much recoil compensation available between STR and accessories, a SA shooter could shoot several rounds before needing to stop, whereas a Burst Fire guy is lucky to get two bursts off before needing to bring the thing under control.

I see a lot of take aim actions in the future. smile.gif
Always Overkill
@Lobo: If you don't mind, I had imagined my Agent as a little orb of green light a tiny cluster of green code at its center. (which could be angel shaped, Raven would be another idea, but it could change its appearance.) Sometimes perching on Overkill's wing or shoulder, he tends to think of it as his little "Jiminy Cricket". Your other visuals have been spot on for what I would have imagined myself even described in ways that I could see myself writing.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 9 2014, 08:47 AM) *
I think you could though if you just kept pulling the trigger on an SA weapon though, couldn't you? I mean, I think it works better the way they've described it. Since there is s o much recoil compensation available between STR and accessories, a SA shooter could shoot several rounds before needing to stop, whereas a Burst Fire guy is lucky to get two bursts off before needing to bring the thing under control.
I see a lot of take aim actions in the future. smile.gif

If you are firing an SA weapon then unless you are just using SA burst over and over, you won't build up recoil. If I have an SA weapon and I fire a bullet, it is a Simple Action - leaving me with one Simple Action left, which, if I take any action other than shooting, I stop the buildup of recoil.

However, since you can only make one "attack" action per IP, then by definition that second Simple Action cannot be shooting, so the recoil stops.

So it would be fire a bullet, do anything else as a simple action, and then the recoil doesn't carry over, fire a bullet, do something else, etc.

If you did SA burst, then that is a complex action, if you just did that multiple times in a row, then it builds up.

If I have a burst fire weapon, then if I am firing a 3 round burst as a simple action, it is just fire a burst, do something else, fire a burst, do something else, etc.

If I have a full auto weapon, I can fire 6 bullets as a simple action, then do something else, fire 6 bullets, do something else, etc.

Basically it means unless you are taking multiple complex actions turn after turn after turn, the recoil doesn't build up.

Mind you, I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but that was not how we originally interpreted the rules - I'm just glad they clarified them.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 9 2014, 08:54 AM) *
@Lobo: If you don't mind, I had imagined my Agent as a little orb of green light a tiny cluster of green code at its center. (which could be angel shaped, Raven would be another idea, but it could change its appearance.) Sometimes perching on Overkill's wing or shoulder, he tends to think of it as his little "Jiminy Cricket". Your other visuals have been spot on for what I would have imagined myself even described in ways that I could see myself writing.

I don't mind at all - its your character after all smile.gif

I've edited the post in question.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 9 2014, 08:04 AM) *
<Stuff>

I just remembered that you can't take two attack actions in the same round. Sorry for making you write all of that.

...and yeah, I remember when the question came up on the main board. Aaron quickly explained what they meant to say in a very odd sentence parsing and I just rolled with that ever since.

Although, even with the clarification, I wonder if recoil would build up over phases if you: Do Something then Shoot and then Shoot then Do Something. I would guess the second shot would face penalties since no actions had been taken up to that point to reset?
Lobo0705
@Jack,

No worries - it might help someone else - and it didn't take that long smile.gif

The way it is written, then yes, if you decided to do it that way - not sure why that would happen, although one never knows in combat why you might need to fire that second shot and then do something else instead of vice versa.

@Everyone:

From a timeline perspective, it is going to take Jack and Amy about 20 minutes or so to get over to Manuel's house (the scene of the crime). That puts Amy and Overkill's time at approximately 11:55, while the last post from Jack and Grease is from 12:05.

I think at that point, it will allow Jack and Grease to start acting again - any ideas as to what you want to do?
Jack VII
We got up to 12:30 when we were eating at Rita's. Not sure if you want us to walk that time back or not.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 9 2014, 08:15 AM) *
The way it is written, then yes, if you decided to do it that way - not sure why that would happen, although one never knows in combat why you might need to fire that second shot and then do something else instead of vice versa.

1st Pass: Load magazine, SA shot
2nd Pass: SA Burst?

I think the biggest problem is that FA weapons are allowed to do that 6-round burst thing as a Simple Action. That seems a little OP.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 9 2014, 08:15 AM) *
@Everyone:

From a timeline perspective, it is going to take Jack Overkill and Amy about 20 minutes or so to get over to Manuel's house (the scene of the crime). That puts Amy and Overkill's time at approximately 11:55, while the last post from Jack and Grease is from 12:05.

I think at that point, it will allow Jack and Grease to start acting again - any ideas as to what you want to do?

So far, we have two murders circumstantially related to Crimson Fire (Thomas (almost certainly) and Jackson(probably)), it would be nice if we could talk to Sanders to see if Mitchell had confided in her about something related to Crimson Fire. With him having worked smuggling, I could see it being the case. I think OOC, I basically want to close out our leads in the Hub so we don't have to keep going back and forth and splitting the group so much and I would guess Sanders would be most easily able to meet us in the Hub.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 9 2014, 09:18 AM) *
We got up to 12:30 when we were eating at Rita's. Not sure if you want us to walk that time back or not.

I missed those later posts.

My concern is that you and Grease IRL are sitting around waiting - want to make sure you are still feeling connected to the story.

If you are ok waiting for Amy and Overkill to keep going, then no worries on my end.

Jack VII
I'm okay with it. I can't speak for DrZ, but he seemed okay with it previously. If it's a big problem, you could just have Amy and Overkill run into a Lone Star checkpoint or something and avoiding it would require taking the long-way around to get to the location. wink.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 9 2014, 10:06 AM) *
I'm okay with it. I can't speak for DrZ, but he seemed okay with it previously. If it's a big problem, you could just have Amy and Overkill run into a Lone Star checkpoint or something and avoiding it would require taking the long-way around to get to the location. wink.gif

I'm cool with it. I'm tracking the story and keeping up to date. This gives me more time to scheme angles on how to pursue the rest of the investigation.

I am thinking of creating a big poster board with all the information from the crimes, but I'm worried my family would get concerned about me...

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Feb 9 2014, 11:37 AM) *
I am thinking of creating a big poster board with all the information from the crimes, but I'm worried my family would get concerned about me...

Lol - just an FYI, I updated my first post in the OOC thread with a spoiler that includes a quick-reference for rigging and drones.

We will continue on as before, I have a baptism to go to for my nephew this afternoon - once Overkill and Amy finish their conversation and I return, I'll put up the post for them arriving at their next scene.

Jack VII
I've been putting everything we find out on the map, if that helps. I also did an Association Matrix. I might be able to do a link-diagram, but I don't find them particularly easy to do with any of the Office software.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Feb 9 2014, 11:43 AM) *
I've been putting everything we find out on the map, if that helps. I also did an Association Matrix. I might be able to do a link-diagram, but I don't find them particularly easy to do with any of the Office software.

The map is great. I just haven't spent any significant amount of time studying it; the names of the players are getting confused in my head, and I just need to sit down and study it for a bit to try and sort things out.
Jack VII
All of the murders are the orange policeman looking icons. If you click on them, they will show everything we have learned up to this point. It's fun!
Always Overkill
I agree, Amazing job with the Map, Jack. I have referred to it countless times already.
Lobo0705
Agreed - and what I further love about it is that once the adventure is over, and we get ready for the next one, we just remove the murder scenes, and all of the bars/coffee shops/motels, etc remain for the next one smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 9 2014, 11:07 AM) *
Agreed - and what I further love about it is that once the adventure is over, and we get ready for the next one, we just remove the murder scenes, and all of the bars/coffee shops/motels, etc remain for the next one smile.gif

Yup, that's what I was thinking too.
Always Overkill
I am looking forward to see how detailed the city becomes as we go along. It is going to truly be amazing how nuanced our setting will be at this rate, with diverse places of interest, regular watering holes, and a colorful supporting cast of contacts and NPCs.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 9 2014, 12:39 PM) *
I am looking forward to see how detailed the city becomes as we go along. It is going to truly be amazing how nuanced our setting will be at this rate, with diverse places of interest, regular watering holes, and a colorful supporting cast of contacts and NPCs.

I know! I'm finding this very interesting too. Great job with the map, Jack, and great job with establishing all the setting in so much detail, Lobo. I also refer to the map very regularly, and it keeps getting updated! smile.gif
Jack VII
I would honestly invite everyone to update it, but I discovered early on how very easy it is to accidentally delete the sector overlays and it takes forever to set them back up. So rather than have anyone feel bad about accidentally deleting something significant, I figure I'll just retain control so if there is a boo-boo made, it's all me.
Always Overkill
I am all set to move on to the Manuel scene whenever you guys are ready
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Feb 9 2014, 04:43 PM) *
I am all set to move on to the Manuel scene whenever you guys are ready

Same here. We'll come back later to talk to the manager.
Lobo0705
IC post is up.

@Jack - I added the Stuffer Shack to the locations, as that will remain after the adventure.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Feb 9 2014, 04:28 PM) *
IC post is up.

@Jack - I added the Stuffer Shack to the locations, as that will remain after the adventure.

I updated the map. It's hard to see the icon right now as I currently have it placed really close to the crime icon. It should show up once we clear it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012