Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Chrome Head
Just a heads up, my IC post might wait until Tuesday. It shouldn't hold anyone back though.
Always Overkill
For my IC hacking posts; is it typical to describe Overkill jumping into VR, describing his persona, and then moving around jumping grids to find the host?

Another side note: What are we doing as far as earning karma? I couldn't find anything about in the recruitment thread or the OoC so far. Not in any rush, I was telling a friend about the game and he asked how we were working the experience
part, and I realized I had no idea what we were doing as far as that goes.
Jack VII
Yeah, it's mostly typical to describe jumping in and your persona, particularly the first time you post about VR. But you don't have to jump grids to find the host, icons are visible from any grid, although they are more difficult to interact with if you aren't on the same grid. So you would probably jump in, see the Host, and then run a Matrix Perception check to determine what grid it was on and what rating the Host is so you know how tough it is going to be. Assuming that succeeds, you can then try to hack onto the grid it is located on to make it easier to hack.
Always Overkill
OK, so I am gonna start by bumping my sleave up, deck set to 6 S, 5 F, 5 D, 3 A. Silent Running to start until I determine strength of the host.

Programs: Signal Scrub, Browse, Baby Monitor

Working on my IC post with him sitting down, taking his beer, and beginning after the first drink. Full VR, hot-simmed and everything.

Am I correct that I will be starting with a -3 dice pool for my first Matrix Perception tests due to all the noise, spam, grid, and silent running penalties?

Also, what are we doing for Invisible Castle going onward? I have had no response on registration.

Lobo0705
Ok - back to work and my usual prolific self smile.gif

@Chromehead, no problems - we have plenty to has out with the other three smile.gif

@Overkill - Go ahead and make Matrix Perception rolls to determine the Grid and Rating (making sure to take a -2 penalty for being on the public grid, plus a noise of 3 for the spam zone - although of course you can reduce the noise penalty.)

@Everyone else - game on smile.gif

Also, the Excel spreadsheet is now up in the dropbox for your expenses in the Character Folder. Simply input your starting money in box B1, and then list the type of credit in Column D, the amount in column E, and Debit Type in G and actual amount in H.

Thanks!
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Jan 27 2014, 09:58 AM) *
OK, so I am gonna start by bumping my sleave up, deck set to 6 S, 5 F, 5 D, 3 A. Silent Running to start until I determine strength of the host.

Programs: Signal Scrub, Browse, Baby Monitor

Working on my IC post with him sitting down, taking his beer, and beginning after the first drink. Full VR, hot-simmed and everything.

Am I correct that I will be starting with a -3 dice pool for my first Matrix Perception tests due to all the noise, spam, grid, and silent running penalties?

Also, what are we doing for Invisible Castle going onward? I have had no response on registration.

Your total penalties are -2 for grid and -3 for noise, and -2 for silent running. If you are in VR, that gives you +2. Signal Scrub would drop that to 1, and depending on whether or not you run your Datajack wireless, that could drop it to zero. Btw, if you could update your inventory list as to what is running wireless, that would be great smile.gif

As far as Invisible Castle, for right now just use the site and don't worry about registering.

Jack VII
Given the noise rating, wouldn't the wireless function on his datajack be disabled? Just wanted to make sure as I am currently running with the assumption that my skillwire/skilljack wireless function is not working.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 27 2014, 09:47 AM) *
Given the noise rating, wouldn't the wireless function on his datajack be disabled? Just wanted to make sure as I am currently running with the assumption that my skillwire/skilljack wireless function is not working.

You are correct - for some reason I thought his datajack was alpha - upon further review, it isn't, so yes - no wireless bonuses apply while in the club.
Always Overkill
The items slaved to my cyberdeck are wireless. Since I have checked my guns, the only things left are my Datajack, Commlink, Cybereyes, and earbud (Not sure if I should turn any of these devices off while going VR).

So I would be at -3 dice pool, -2 if my datajack's wireless bonus is still intact.

And reading the above post, its -3 (I will have to look into upgraded datajacks later, didn't know Alphaware would have any other bonuses tha essense rating)
Lobo0705
So i is a -3 (since your datajack bonus doesn't work in the club. )

Go ahead and then do 3 rolls

1) Matrix Perception (to see what Grid the Host is on)
2) Matrix Perception (to see the rating of the Host)
3) Hack on the Fly to gain access to the grid the Host is on

EDIT - yes - Alphaware, Betaware, and Deltaware all have higher device ratings, and so resist noise better.
Jack VII
If he rolls well enough on the first Matrix Perception, can't he learn both bits of information at once?

ETA: Also, sorry for all my questions. I'll stop if it's annoying. I've just never really seen 5e hacking before and want to make sure I understand it.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 27 2014, 10:10 AM) *
If he rolls well enough on the first Matrix Perception, can't he learn both bits of information at once?

ETA: Also, sorry for all my questions. I'll stop if it's annoying. I've just never really seen 5e hacking before and want to make sure I understand it.

Not annoying at all - I run it for my PnP group, but they never really read the rules, so they never really ask any questions - which is actually a problem, because then I make a ruling on how I think the system works, and no one fact checks me smile.gif

So yes, with a Matrix Perception check, you roll Computer + Int vs Logic and Sleaze, and every net hit yields you one piece of information. So you only have to make 1 Matrix Perception test, and if you get 2 hits, then you learn both the grid it is on and the rating of the Host.
Jack VII
Is a normal matrix perception test opposed? I was thinking that only applied to icons that were running silently. These rules are... complicated (although probably not quite as bad as SR4).
Always Overkill
First Matrix Perception test

6d6 → [6,6,1,5,3,4] = (25)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381239/

Second,

6d6 → [6,3,2,2,3,5] = (21)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381240/

Third Roll for Gain access to the Host's Grid (Hack on the Fly)

13d6 → [1,2,2,2,2,3,4,5,4,2,5,6,5] = (43)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381242/
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 27 2014, 10:32 AM) *
Is a normal matrix perception test opposed? I was thinking that only applied to icons that were running silently. These rules are... complicated (although probably not quite as bad as SR4).

Having tried hacking since SR3, these rules are by far the clearest and easiest to play. Which is to say it's like trying to run a 5k with a malicious chimpanzee on your back, as opposed to a Gorilla or Orangutan.
Jack VII
Overkill: A quick tip. When you input your dice roll into Invisible Castle, you can use the following codes for Shadowrun:

Xd6.hits(5) = Calculates the number of hits.
Xd6.openhits(5,6) = For Edge tests that bring in the Rule of 6, will explode the dice for you so you don't have to roll again.
Lobo0705
@Overkill,

So you got 3 hits - the first hit tells you it is on the local Grid (Mile High - it used to be administered by Aztech until they got kicked out by Ghostwalker, not it is owned by a Yamatetsu subsidiary). The second tells you it is a rating 4 host.

As Jack pointed out (and this is what I get for leaving Baltimore at 11:00 PM and arriving home at 3:00 AM to then report to work at 8:45) - it is an unopposed test. So that 3rd hit yields you one more piece of information. The list in the book is:

• The most recent edit date of a file.
• The number of boxes of Matrix damage on the target’s Condition Monitor.
• The presence of a data bomb on a file.
• The programs being run by a persona.
• The target’s device rating.
• The target’s commode.
• The rating of one of the target’s Matrix attributes.
• The type of icon (host, persona, device, file), if it is using a
non-standard (or even illegal) look.
• Whether a file is protected, and at what rating.
• The grid a persona, device, or host is using.
• If you’re out on the grid, whether there is an icon running
silent within 100 meters.
• If you’re in a host, whether there is an icon running silent
in the host.
• If you know at least one feature of an icon running silent,
you can spot the icon (Running Silent, below).
• The last Matrix action an icon performed, and when.
• The marks on an icon, but not their owners.

If there is something else you want to know but is not listed, let me know.
Lobo0705
The resistance to the Hack on the Fly is

4d6.hits(5)=1

So your Overwatch Score (OS from now on) is 1.

You now are on the local grid.
Jack VII
I found a T-Shirt for Overkill, but it only fits Ladies...

http://www.geekalerts.com/binary-angel-ladies-t-shirt/
Always Overkill
The extra info from the earlier roll I would find out is the location of the security footage files and whether it is secured. Or wait I would need to know the file already to be able to find out if it is secure wouldn't I...

That shirt is awesome!

Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Jan 27 2014, 10:49 AM) *
The extra info from the earlier roll I would find out is the location of the security footage files and whether it is secured. Or wait I would need to know the file already to be able to find out if it is secure wouldn't I...

That shirt is awesome!

Here is my understanding of the way Hosts work. Certainly if someone has a different opinion, feel free to join in - but it has worked for me in our PnP.

A Host is a place in the Matrix - I explain it like the Matrix is another dimension from our world, and all of the Hosts are like little pocket dimensions. Your persona can either be inside, or outside the host. If you are outside, you can see all of the devices icons that are connected to the host, but you cannot see any of the files that are inside the host, nor can you see any personas or IC that are inside the host (nor can they see your persona). If you are inside the host, your persona disappears from the, we'll call it the "main" area of the Matrix, and appears inside the host. Now you can see all the IC and files, and the devices that are connected to the host, but you can't see any icons that are outside of it. You can still send messages to others outside the host.

So, while you can glean information about the host itself, you have to actually enter the host in order to be able to do a Matrix Perception to find the appropriate file.
Lobo0705
For your IC posts, the Host of QXTs looks like the exterior of the building itself smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Jan 27 2014, 09:58 AM) *
<Lobo's Interpretation of the Matrix>

So, while you can glean information about the host itself, you have to actually enter the host in order to be able to do a Matrix Perception to find the appropriate file.

That's pretty much exactly how I read it. I'm still a little weird on entering a Host in AR, but that's not a big deal. I did want to offer that I think Matrix Search would be used to locate a file rather than Matrix Perception. Perception would be used to make sure the file didn't have databombs and other nasty stuff on it.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 27 2014, 11:04 AM) *
That's pretty much exactly how I read it. I'm still a little weird on entering a Host in AR, but that's not a big deal. I did want to offer that I think Matrix Search would be used to locate a file rather than Matrix Perception. Perception would be used to make sure the file didn't have databombs and other nasty stuff on it.

Good - that mean's I'm not crazy wink.gif

And upon further review, the ruling on the field is overturned, and Matrix Search would be used to find the file, using a base time of 1 minute (once you've actually entered the Host).
DrZaius
Added a quick IC post. Proceed with matrixing! I just wanted to have that out there prior to us talking to Paul.
Jack VII
Works for me, I may throw in something when Paul sits down to go along with the bodyguard persona, but other than that will remain silent. Since I don't have DNI, trying to send a message will be tough and I doubt a bodyguard would be fiddling with his commlink when his charge was close to a possible danger, so just roll with your questions.
Always Overkill
What rolls do you want once I am inside the Host?

If I am not mistaken I need to do a Matrix Search for the correct files, but my penalty is down to -1 dice pool.

Reading Jacks following suggestion: Finding out the hosts Firewall and Sleaze
Jack VII
Overkill, since you still had an outstanding hit from your perception check (plus an additional one hit from the second test, assuming ithat it was taken and that the "Try Again" penalty comes into play), you can get 2 of the Host's 4 attributes which could be very helpful.
Lobo0705
Ok, so:

1) To gain access to the host, you have to make a Hack on the Fly roll, with your -1 for noise (hacking a host negates noise for distance, but nor for other factors). If that succeeds you will put a mark on the host, and you can enter.
2) Now you can do your Matrix Search, again with the -1 penalty.

Jack is correct - which two attributes are you interested in?
Always Overkill
Going with finding out the Firewall and Sleaze attributes of the Host

Hack on the Fly Roll to gain access to host

15d6 → [6,1,2,6,2,2,3,6,5,6,6,1,6,4,2] = (58) (7 hits) (Think that hits my Mental Limit)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381328/

Matrix Search for the Security Footage Files

8d6 → [3,5,2,5,2,6,1,4] = (28) (3 hits)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381330/
Lobo0705
Ok

So the host resists the Hack on the Fly

11d6.hits(5)=4

OS=5

Your Matrix Search takes about 20 seconds - were you looking for the footage of the time of the shooting or the footage of you at the door first?

The Host has a Firewall of 7 and a Sleaze of 4.

You can go ahead and IC you entering the host, the Patrol IC will look like bouncers, and the interior of the host will look similar to the interior of the bar - including virtual patrons accessing the club via VR.
Jack VII
Overkill: Cyberdecks work like guns. Rather than using an inate limit like Mental or Social, it is tied to your equipment. For Hack on the Fly, your limit is your Sleaze attribute (so, 6 at this point). If you want to boost that, you can swap one of your Programs for either Exploit (+2 to Sleaze for Hack on the Fly) or Stealth (+1 to Sleaze for all purposes).

Also, since you're running Browse, your Matrix Search actions should take half the time they normally would.
Always Overkill
Did we decide if we could edit or erase our presence on the footage? I remember we were talking how long it would take, but I don't remember the final ruling.

In any case, the Security Footage from the night of the murder seems like it would take priority in my mind. So that is first no matter what.

Regarding my IC Matrix posts. I haven't actually read a lot of write-ups on Matrix action, so I am wading into the imagery slowly, just keeping it simple while I am still learning the ins and outs. If there is any advice you would like to pass along or examples from the book you would like to refer me to; I am looking to read more on it to give me more ideas.

Also, I just made all my action in the Matrix green, like so
Always Overkill
Since the Host resisted my Hack on the Fly roll, what is my next step, do I need to retry to gain actual access to the files I am searching for?
Always Overkill
I could turn of my Baby Monitor program for Sneak, since I know my current OS. Wouldn't I probably know relatively how much time I have before the GOD squad on my arse?
Lobo0705
Ok - so you find the footage from night of the murder - I'll have that full write up shortly.

With regards to removing you from a video feed, that really is complicated work - so I imagine it is much easier just to delete the file in its entirety.

As far as Matrix action - here is a transcript of a Matrix action I did via email with one of my PnP players. This was the first time I did it, so don't pay too much attention to the die rolls, since some of them are wrong, but this hopefully will give you a better idea of Matrix action.

After several hours of hunting down the mysterious symbols, your toga-clad persona manages to turn up the Host in question. Located on the Public Grid, the area around the Host has seen better days. Icons for various devices float by, blinking in and out due to poor connectivity. The few other personas in the area move by quickly - focused on their tasks, seemingly unable or unwilling to make eye-contact. Although you dislike moving on the Public Grid, the signal distortion from it to your nice clean Corporate Global Grid causes everything to be blurry, and there is a constant static hum in your ears like really bad fluorescent lighting. Taking a moment, hop from the clean corporate world to the slums that Wafselwyc inhabits when he comes to the Matrix.

Alex takes Grid Hop Action. Normally this would require a Hack on the Fly (Hacking+Logic [Sleaze] vs 4 or 6 dice) - but since everyone has access to the Public Grid, you can simply move over.

Now that your are on the Public Grid, the blur and the noise get better, but only a little. You quickly do a circle around the building, and see there is only one entrance. You step up to it, take out a hammer and chisel, and prepare to make your mark on the Host.

Alex now takes a Hack on the Fly action (Hacking+Logic [Sleaze] vis Int +Firewall). The Host's rating is 6 (which is the number used for all of its Stats), and its Attack is 9, Firewall 8, Data Processing 7, Sleaze 6). Alex Rolls a base of 11 dice, +2 for being in Hot Sim, -2 for being on the Public Grid. Due to distance from your home to the Host, there is a Noise penalty of 3, and it is located in the Sprawl Downtown Spam and Static Zone for a further Noise penalty of 2- making for a total penalty of 5 dice. Alex, however, is running Signal Scrub, which gives him a Noise Reduction of 2, and then his datajack running wirelessly gives him a further noise reduction of 1 - reducing the noise penalty to 2. Thus Alex will roll 11 -2 or 9 dice, while the Host will roll 14.

Alex decided to use his edge:

Alex rolls and gets 8 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4166661/ and then rerolls his 6s and gets 3 more http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4166663/

Since you used Edge, you get to count all 11 hits.

The Host rolls and gets 7 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4166666/

Alex proceeds to engrave his mark over the door of the host, bringing a very tiny amount of Renaissance style decor to the otherwise drab building. The lock to the door springs open, and he steps inside. The interior of the building is even more drab than the exterior - if that is actually possible. Alex notices there are several people wandering about the building. Most of them are large burly types, covered in prison-style tattoos. Alex puts away his tools, and with a wave of his hand, changes his toga to something a little less conspicuous - to fit in with this lot, it seems that a black wife-beater t-shirt and black cargo pants fits the bill. With a brief flourish, the pockets of the cargo pants are adorned with your mark, to give a semblance of style. Alex begins to look around...

Alex begins to walk through the building, attempting to look as if he belonged. The other personas in the room seem to be doing the same - not interacting with one another, but rather going about their business. There is a large man with a snarling dog on a leash patrolling the inside of the building - as they pass Alex, the dog sniffs at him and growls a little, but moves on. The interior of the building looks like a converted warehouse - with the storage on the ground floor, and the offices on the second. On the ground floor Alex makes a note of several devices of unknown purpose on the main floor, they look like electronics, but without further examination it is impossible to tell what they correspond to in the real world. Occasionally one of the personas walks over to them, interacts with it briefly, and then either moves on or shimmers briefly, their human looking form being replaced by an icon that looks like the star symbol on the door.

Ok - the guard and dog are Patrol IC - as you are not doing anything and you have a mark on the Host, they cannot tell you don't belong. Devices and Personas show up in the Matrix - When you are logged in, your persona is there, when you log out, the device that you use to access the matrix is there - so the shimmering from persona to icon is obviously someone using a commlink or deck to access a device through the Matrix, and then when he/she is done, logging off, and so their device still shows. If you were to disable your deck/commlink's wireless capability, then your device would not show up either. You could also, by the way, "run silent' which means you do not show up except with a Matrix Perception test - but if you were to do so in the Host and were spotted, it would be a dead giveaway that you weren't meant to be there.

What's next?

Alex continues his stroll through the warehouse, nodding to various individuals in an attempt to maintain his cover. As he approaches the devices on the warehouse floor, he takes a quick glance over his shoulder - while GOD is watching, he is not in danger of drawing his wrath as of yet. He quickly scans the room, looking for any of the Orthodox Crosses that were on the outside of the building, but they seem to be absent from the interior.

Alex reaches the bank of devices and attempts to see what it is. He begins manipulating one of the devices, but is unable to figure out exactly what it does. The dog begins to sniff the air, swinging his head around, but is unable to pinpoint the location of what is bothering it. Alex bends down over his console and tries to look like he knows what he is doing.

Alex checks to see what his overwatch score is. He rolls Electronic Warfare + Logic [Sleaze] v. 6 dice getting 5 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4168302/ While the GOD only gets 3 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4168303/

Alex's overwatch score is currently 10.

He then makes a Matrix Perception test Computer + Intuition [Data Processing] vs Device Rating x2 (since he is now considered directly connected to the device) (now taking the noise modifier into account - rolling 8 dice) getting only 1 success http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4168309/ While the Host gets 2 out of 8 dice. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4221826/

Since it is neither a Sleaze nor Attack action, the Host is not immediately alerted.

Alex again sets to work trying to determine what the device in front of him is. His virtual fingers fly across the controls, but try as he might, he cannot seem to determine what the device is. The dog begins to bark again, and now the guard holding its leash begins to move, letting the dog sniff the ground as it tries to pick up the scent. Alex knows that while the Patrol IC hasn't spotted him yet, they know something is up, they just cannot tell what...

The Patrol IC uses makes a Matrix Perception test Computer + Intuition [Data Processing] (v. Logic + Sleaze) and gets 2 hits. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169277/ Alex rolls his dice (again -2 for the noise) and gets 3 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4169280/

Lobo (Member)
score: 1
QuoteEdit

September 17, 2013 21:57

Pretending to switch off the machine, Alex turns and moves away from the electronics banks and begins to walk upstairs. There is less traffic up here, just the occasional persona walking by. There are three doors in front of you, each one marked in Cyrillic letters. The first is "учет", the second "финансовый", and the third "безопасность". Feeding the Cyrillic into a quick translate program, Alex reads the following:

"учет" = records

"финансовый"= financial

"безопасность"= security

Alex moves to the Records door. The door opens at his touch, the mark he has on the host listing him as a registered user, and he enters the room.

There are several filing cabinets in the room, none of which are labelled. He moves to one at random, and examines it. It also opens at his touch, and he sees many different files inside.

Alex carefully examines the file folder for boobytraps, going over it thoroughly yet carefully. At the end of his examination, he is convinced that there are no Data Bombs on this cabinet.

He picks up the file, and begins to read it, but quickly sees that it is not in Cyrillic, but rather a gibberish that could only mean encryption. Alex pauses to take stock and determine his next move.

You do a Matrix Perception test Computer + Intuition [Data Processing] (v. Logic + Sleaze) (now taking the noise modifier into account - rolling 8 dice) and gets 5 hits (1 of which is disregarded due to your limit on Data Processing). The Host gets 3 successes (raising your Overwatch score to 15)

You are sure there is no data bomb, but at this point you can't do anything with the file unless you crack the encryption.

Alex pulls out a clay tablet and stylus, and goes to work cracking the code hiding the data from him. With a few deft flourishes of the stylus, he is able to determine the symbology behind the coding, and, with the key discovered, his deck quickly causes the previously unreadable characters to dissolve, leaving behind page after page of Cyrillic letters. As this happens, a klaxon sounds inside the building, and he can hear shouting from below as the Host has become aware of his presence, and the search for him begins...

Alex performs a Crack File Action - Hacking+Logic vs Protectionx2 (in this case the protection was 4) Alex rolls 9d6 getting 4 hits The Host rolls 8d6 getting 3 hits - increasing you Overwatch Score to 18.

It is now effectively combat within the Host, and your initiative is now Data Processing+Intuition +4d6. For the first round of combat, your initiative is 26. The initiative of the Host Patrol IC is 22. OOC, you know that the Host will now also begin to launch other IC (ones designed to hurt you should the Patrol IC spot you), at the rate of one per turn - how many total IC that can be running at a given time varies - no more than the Host rating - although they may not have that many loaded. In any event, company is coming.

Remember, in order to take that file with you, you will need to succeed in an Edit File action to copy it. You also need to determine if you want to switch to running silent - which will give you a -2 modifier, but will force the Host to acquire you through a Matrix Perception check, as opposed to automatically spotting you.

Alex dampens his Matrix presence in anticipation of the Hosts IC detecting him. He reconfigures his deck to make him less visible to the guards he knows are coming. As he prepares to copy the file, he hears the dog howl in triumph as it picks up his scent. Loud footsteps ring out from the corridor as IC begins to close in.

Initiative Pass 1

Alex 26 - runs silent, switches deck stats Host 22 - performs Matrix Perception Test Host Matrix Perception Test - 12d6 - 4 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4173213/ Alex resists - 11d6 - 3hits Host - launches IC

Ok - I know you are going to use edge to copy the file - the Blaster IC is going to attack you on the next initiative pass - do you want to use edge to attempt to dodge the attack, or no? You are not sure what kind of IC the system is launching, so there is no way to know what types of ill effects you would suffer from a hit in addition to damage (you can look on page 248 in the book if you want for different types of IC).

Alex takes out his stylus and begins frantically copying the data from the folders. As he finishes copying the first file, the door bursts open and a large blonde man with a brushcut and imposing shotgun bursts in the room, and begins firing. Alex causes a large shield with the symbol "Λ" on it to materialize in front of him, and the bullets bounce off harmlessly.

Initiative Pass 2 Alex 16 - performs Edit File action - up to 14d6 with using Edge and gets 5 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4173232/

Host Resists and gets 3 hits - Overwatch score is now 21 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4221830/

Host 12 - Blaster IC attacks - 12d6 and gets 3 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4173242/

Alex dodges with Logic + Firewall + Edge - 15d6 and gets 7 hits http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4173321/

What do you do at 6?

You have one of the files copied, yes. You would want to use 1 simple action to Switch Interface from VR to AR, and then a 2nd simple action to Jack Out - both are automatically successful since you are not link-locked (which you would have been, had the IC hit you).

With an insolent wave of his hand, Alex slowly fades out, leaving the IC alone in the room with the plundered filing cabinets. He opens his eyes at home, cracks his knuckles, and begins feeding the file into his translate software.

I will get back to you later this week with the contents of the file.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Jan 27 2014, 12:13 PM) *
Since the Host resisted my Hack on the Fly roll, what is my next step, do I need to retry to gain actual access to the files I am searching for?

It didn't resist - it only got 4 hits, you got 6, so you now have a mark on the host and may enter it.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Jan 27 2014, 11:16 AM) *
I could turn of my Baby Monitor program for Sneak, since I know my current OS. Wouldn't I probably know relatively how much time I have before the GOD squad on my arse?

Now that you know the Host's firewall and your current OS, you could estimate based on averages (1 hit/3 dice).
Lobo0705
Ok,

While I'm writing up the entry for the security footage, here is the (safe) process for opening files.

1) Matrix Perception to see if there is a Data Bomb on it
2) If there is none proceed to step 3. If there is one, Disarm Data Bomb
3) Crack File (which we are allowing you to use Sleaze as the limit for, and so it won't auto alert the Host)
4) You can now read the data with no further action necessary, to copy, change or delete it, this takes an Edit File action.
Always Overkill
K, gonna do the switch then from Baby Monitor to Stealth (+1 sleaze for all purposes).

Matrix Perception on Security Footage File

8d6 → [1,2,1,5,4,2,6,5] = (26) (3 hits)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381390/

Crack File Roll-

[1,4,5,4,1,3,4,6,1,4,2,3,1] = (39) (2 hits)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381431/

and Copying the files using Edit File (Now remembering the code Jack mentioned for SR on IC)

13d6.hits(5) → [3,1,4,3,5,6,1,3,2,5,3,5,2] = (4)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381438/
Always Overkill
After copying the file, do I need to do another Matrix Search to find the Security Footage of us outside the club tonight?

That would most likely be my next action after securing the murder footage.
Always Overkill
Double post, my mistake.
Lobo0705
Ok - your Matrix Perception check shows there is no Data Bomb on the file.

It is encrypted though, so the Crack File is necessary.

The Host manages to roll a whopping 5 hits on 8 dice eek.gif

8d6.hits(5)=5

and so you have now performed an unsuccessful Sleaze action, which means the Host has put a mark on you. You can use an Edge to reroll all your failures should you wish - up to you.
Jack VII
I think you need to hack a MARK on the file in order to crack it (not that it would make much of a difference given the rolls).
Always Overkill
As a priority D elf, I don't think I have any Edge score...
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Jan 27 2014, 11:57 AM) *
As a priority D elf, I don't think I have any Edge score...

You have an Edge of 1, but using it for Second Chance lets you reroll your (numerous) failures. Might not be a bad idea. You should recover that Edge tomorrowm morning if you get a full night of sleep.
Always Overkill
So I could reroll the Crack File roll? Or just the dice that missed?

Upon further reading... Ahh, I see it the rule, so I would reroll 11d6 and the 2 hits I had would count towards my total?

If so I will go that way, getting this roll would mean a much cleaner hacking job
Jack VII
You can reroll the failures, but you might want to wait for Lobo to figure out if there are other things that need to be retconned like hacking a MARK on the file before you can crack it.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jan 27 2014, 01:06 PM) *
You can reroll the failures, but you might want to wait for Lobo to figure out if there are other things that need to be retconned like hacking a MARK on the file before you can crack it.

Yes, you would need a mark on the file in order to crack it, I missed that - so I'm not going to penalize you for it. Just assume you were successful in that action.

However, yes, if you use your Edge you would reroll all of your misses, and add any hits generated to the 2 hits you got already.

Always Overkill
Reroll using Second Chance

11d6.hits(5) → [4,3,1,5,1,5,3,5,4,1,2] = (3)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4381469/

So 5 hits total

I am going to wait until I have enough actions to describe IC before posting a follow-up. No need to make a separate post for each Matrix search.

btw: I am sorry if my very rudimentary knowledge of decking is holding us up at all. Trying not to hold us up too long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012