Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 22 2014, 12:57 PM) *
I bought the cheap version and pay the monthly cost. The design goal being that Nic is getting really old and can't do the stuff he used to do. Jack does most of the manual labor around the shop, which is what I was suggesting in some of the first posts in the thread.

No problems - like I said, it just so happens that in this particular run, he seems less a dependent and more of an auxiliary member of the team insofar as babysitting, protecting home base, etc.

I'm not concerned - I'm sure the NQ will pop up with you having to cut short your time doing something else to help him lift an engine out of a car that was junked.
Jack VII
Just looking at it, I would suggest swing by Grease's to get the vehicle kit then go to Nic's and stay put. Working on what we need to work on.

If need be, Jack can pick up some Longhaul at a convenience store and stand guard for the next four days. He still has Edge left. (Depending on whether the team would trust Jack to stand watch while everyone else slept)
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 22 2014, 11:02 AM) *
No problems - like I said, it just so happens that in this particular run, he seems less a dependent and more of an auxiliary member of the team insofar as babysitting, protecting home base, etc.

I'm not concerned - I'm sure the NQ will pop up with you having to cut short your time doing something else to help him lift an engine out of a car that was junked.

Also, it seems like my other contact that I've dealt with has turned into something of a dependent in any event, given that taking time off to help her has driven a spike of distrust through the team. LOL.
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 22 2014, 12:00 PM) *
My guess is that for the Hardware kit, Overkill should really have bought one in char gen - Overkill, can we just deduct 500 nuyen.gif from your account and give you one on your character sheet?

Certainly, Drave would have needed it in the past.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Apr 22 2014, 12:21 PM) *
Certainly, Drave would have needed it in the past.

Grease would be fine pulling the gun out of either drone and loaning it out. Practically, it would make a lot of sense to pull it out of Rhex as he is effectively scrapped. That makes a lot more IC sense than pulling both guns out and putting RHexs old one into the rotodrone. I am in favor of grease spending the majority of the evening fixing the rotodrone with overkill. Can I be fixing the physical damage while drave fixes the hardware, or does that need to take place in sequence? Sitting at the gate; can't really post ic.

From a paranoia standpoint, grease would drop them at nics, then drive home to grab his tools and come back. He doesn't want these criminals knowing where he lives.

Drz
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Apr 22 2014, 02:35 PM) *
Grease would be fine pulling the gun out of either drone and loaning it out. Practically, it would make a lot of sense to pull it out of Rhex as he is effectively scrapped. That makes a lot more IC sense than pulling both guns out and putting RHexs old one into the rotodrone. I am in favor of grease spending the majority of the evening fixing the rotodrone with overkill. Can I be fixing the physical damage while drave fixes the hardware, or does that need to take place in sequence? Sitting at the gate; can't really post ic.

From a paranoia standpoint, grease would drop them at nics, then drive home to grab his tools and come back. He doesn't want these criminals knowing where he lives.

Drz

I don't have a problem with the two of you working on the two separate issues at the same time, rather than having Grease go first, then Overkill (or vice versa) - so assume both of you are working simultaneously.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Apr 22 2014, 01:35 PM) *

Cool. Are we waiting for any more input? I can't remember if Chrome has opined on this situation. I guess I could look but *lazy*. If not, I guess DrZ or Lobo needs to make a post where we change our minds and head back to Nic's?
Always Overkill
I am down for this plan.

Perhaps we can contact Church and set up buying an external Smartgun System for the AK; Drave doesn't like to shoot without one wink.gif
Lobo0705
I'm going to wait until we hear from Chrome, he had suggested both a coffin motel and the abandoned house, my guess is because Amy wants to keep Sam and Kevin out of the firing line - I don't want to put up a post saying that you are all going there without Chrome's input.

In the meantime, if anyone is making calls to Chapel or any other contact, let me know, and I can resolve prices and times.
Jack VII
Well, we should probably make a single contact to Chapel if we're calling him for stuff. Would look mighty unprofessional if we were to hit him up with a bunch of individual requests.

Begrudgingly, Jack would request a Colt M23 w/Internal Smartgun & Shock Pad, 2 spare magazines, and 120 rounds of gel ammo. I think I have enough to cover that...
Always Overkill
Think I should get a Gas Vent or stick with the Suppressor?

Debating getting some APDS, but SOOO expensive, 2 Mags would be nearly 1k...

Edit: Shock Pad also a must. I will make a full list before making the official call in game. Setting it up tonight so we can do it early tomorrow is a must though.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Apr 22 2014, 01:17 PM) *
Think I should get a Gas Vent or stick with the Suppressor?

For me, I can't really afford either. If we're both bringing ARs to an ambush, mine is going to get noticed, so...

QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Apr 22 2014, 01:17 PM) *
Debating getting some APDS, but SOOO expensive, 2 Mags would be nearly 1k...

I think our goal is to capture rather than kill, based on my understanding of our requirements. You also need to consider the availability for the APDS. 12 might be tough to secure. I went with the lowest availability I could find to get the job done to help with reducing the delivery times.
Lobo0705
And bear in mind, the ammo cost is 1.25 the cost in the book.

So for 2 clips for the AK97, which basically 80 rounds, that is 8 * 120, so 960, and then 960*1.25, for a total of 1200 nuyen.gif

Chapel gets guns cheaper, but not ammo.

ETA, btw - OOC, I'm very happy you guys are feeling the pinch of needing cash - to me, that is quintessential Shadowrun, the runners hitting big paydays that leave them flush for a while, but then the realities of living in the shadows and the daily costs of the Free Zone forcing them to make rough decisions - and potentially taking a job they may not be crazy about because you have to be able to eat smile.gif

You can run a campaign where everyone is rich, and it is a different feeling, but I like this one better - hopefully it isn't too frustrating for you guys.
Always Overkill
I suppose Stick and Shock could do the job, it would be ideal as well since it goes through armor even better than APDS.

So as of right now, my shopping list is:
4 Spare Mags (So I can load up two Mags of the Explosive Ammo we recovered.)
Shock Pad
Gas Vent 2
80 Rounds of Stick & Shock
Smartgun System, External(Top)
Always Overkill
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 22 2014, 03:25 PM) *
ETA, btw - OOC, I'm very happy you guys are feeling the pinch of needing cash - to me, that is quintessential Shadowrun, the runners hitting big paydays that leave them flush for a while, but then the realities of living in the shadows and the daily costs of the Free Zone forcing them to make rough decisions - and potentially taking a job they may not be crazy about because you have to be able to eat smile.gif

You can run a campaign where everyone is rich, and it is a different feeling, but I like this one better - hopefully it isn't too frustrating for you guys.

Not too frustrating, it adds to the realism to have to deal with things like actually having a budget.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Always Overkill @ Apr 22 2014, 01:40 PM) *
Not too frustrating, it adds to the realism to have to deal with things like actually having a budget.

I don't think it's too bad. From an economic realism perspective, our payday should be adjusted to account for the general boom-town inflation we're seeing in Denver (there are like two minor item categories that are below baseline SR5 prices, almost everything else is higher, in some cases significantly so), but that may have already been applied.
Chrome Head
Sorry for the delay.

I thought it would be safer to go anywhere else than Nic's place for a while. If someone has to go there anyway, it's tempting to just say we might as well all go there and keep watch. Problem is, if we think it's ok to go there because we keep it safe, then how can we possibly leave after that without having resolved the problem? I'm not keen on the current plan, thinking as Amy would.

More importantly, what is the likeliness that someone currently knows where we are?

And about the economics of the game, I don't mind having a tight budget and being forced into difficult decisions. It will be especially challenging having started with a street character that needs money to get up to par (just the fake SIN will be most of her next month's expenses), but I welcome this as it will be interesting roleplay. The bigger paydays will feel especially rewarding, and in general we will be looking for ways to make money on the side (like Grease I guess, with pay data, loot, etc.). I've had this happen in a game before and we've come up with a run by ourselves because we badly needed the money and it was loads of fun. Poverty and desperation bring out the resourcefulness and creativity of all.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 22 2014, 02:34 PM) *
More importantly, what is the likeliness that someone currently knows where we are?

I think this is an important piece to address. Let's go through the incidents that have heightened our paranoia so far:

1) Honeypot indicated that word was getting around that two elves were digging into Lone Star murders. A single reported incident would likely not have caused rumors to start. A pattern of it, however, might... but that would mean that someone would have had to have noticed Amy & Overkill at multiple locations. I guess it's possible that Truck and Falcon just hit up the murder scenes they knew they were involved in and checked to see if a pair of elves had shown up but it doesn't really explain how they knew that someone was sniffing around in the first place.

2) We know that members of Lynx's crew visited Schaefer's Diner shortly after Amy and Overkill were there to find out what they had been asking about. If I recall correctly, that was the 2nd stop in the murder investigation after our visit to QXT, which was really early in our investigation. Someone at the nightclub may have burned us with Lynx's crew. It's possible that the crew was monitoring the club given that it was the most recent murder in the series.

3) Truck showing up to murder Honeypot at the same time as the rally is either just a coincidence (possible) or was designed to split the crew at a critical point. At the same time, Truck may have been following Jack and followed him to the hotel where Honeypot was staying.

Assuming this crew wants to kill us, it seems like they would have had many opportunities to do so over the last few days considering they effectively had our ticket punched at the beginning of the investigation. I have to assume they either don't consider us a significant enough threat to try and kill or they don't know exactly where we are.
Jack VII
Anyway, last thing I think we have posted IC is that Grease is going to drop us off at the abandoned house then head back to his place to get his vehicle kit. I guess either Overkill can mention his pre-purchased Hardware Kit at Nic's or Jack can mention that Nic could probably put something together that would work well enough if Overkill doesn't want to say he already had a hardware kit.

At least, that's where it sounds like we are.
DrZaius
Grease could also let drave start working on fixing the rotodrone while he goes to grab his tools. I'm cool staying at the abandoned house if drave has a hardware kit.

DrZ
Chrome Head
Well, like I said Amy's preference is to avoid going back to Nic's if possible.

Could we also leave a fly-spy on duty near Nic's Knacks to check who might be coming or snooping around? She'd feel better if Grease or Overkill offered to do that. We should also have one help us scout around wherever we end up sleeping for the night..
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 22 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Well, like I said Amy's preference is to avoid going back to Nic's if possible.

Could we also leave a fly-spy on duty near Nic's Knacks to check who might be coming or snooping around? She'd feel better if Grease or Overkill offered to do that. We should also have one help us scout around wherever we end up sleeping for the night..

Good idea. I feel like a mage casting "alarm" for the night..

Can we feasibly repair the drone in the hideout location? If not, maybe we could wait till morning.
Lobo0705
Ok - so, if Amy wants to stay at the abandoned house, and everyone is okay with it, then the following needs to happen IC:

1) Grease has to mention that he needs a Hardware kit to fix the rotodrone, and an Armorer's kit to take the AK out of Rhex.

2) Overkill has to say that he has a Hardware kit, and that they need to run back to his place to get it.

3) Jack would need to mention that they can probably scrounge one from Nic's (or, potentially Jack is still pissed at Grease, he may make Grease go buy one).

4) If people want Fly Spy's over different locations, someone has to mention this to Grease.

5) Stops have to be made at Overkill's, the store or Nic's, and the abandoned house.

6) I have to make rolls for the Hardware test to fix Overkill's deck, the Matrix damage to the Rotodrone, an Aeronautical Mechanic roll for the non-structural damage to the rotodrone, and an Armorer test to take the AK out of Rhex.
Btw - for that Armorer test, it is far more likely to succeed should Overkill do it, as neither Overkill nor Grease have the Armorer skill, but Overkill's Logic is much higher than Grease's.

Note - in answer to Grease's question, since you are only using the vehicle repair kit, and not a shop, and the rotodrone isn't that big, yes it can be fixed in the abandoned house.

7) Someone has to make a call to Chapel if you want equipment (and get me a precise list so I can make availability rolls)

8 ) You need to sleep (and post watches) - and wake up for the morning edition of the Tribune smile.gif

I can certainly help facilitate any of those IC posts that we need, anyone want to start us off?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 23 2014, 01:01 AM) *
Ok - so, if Amy wants to stay at the abandoned house, and everyone is okay with it, then the following needs to happen IC:

1) Grease has to mention that he needs a Hardware kit to fix the rotodrone, and an Armorer's kit to take the AK out of Rhex.

2) Overkill has to say that he has a Hardware kit, and that they need to run back to his place to get it.

3) Jack would need to mention that they can probably scrounge one from Nic's (or, potentially Jack is still pissed at Grease, he may make Grease go buy one).

4) If people want Fly Spy's over different locations, someone has to mention this to Grease.

5) Stops have to be made at Overkill's, the store or Nic's, and the abandoned house.

6) I have to make rolls for the Hardware test to fix Overkill's deck, the Matrix damage to the Rotodrone, an Aeronautical Mechanic roll for the non-structural damage to the rotodrone, and an Armorer test to take the AK out of Rhex.
Btw - for that Armorer test, it is far more likely to succeed should Overkill do it, as neither Overkill nor Grease have the Armorer skill, but Overkill's Logic is much higher than Grease's.

Note - in answer to Grease's question, since you are only using the vehicle repair kit, and not a shop, and the rotodrone isn't that big, yes it can be fixed in the abandoned house.

7) Someone has to make a call to Chapel if you want equipment (and get me a precise list so I can make availability rolls)

8 ) You need to sleep (and post watches) - and wake up for the morning edition of the Tribune smile.gif

I can certainly help facilitate any of those IC posts that we need, anyone want to start us off?

I can't post IC until much later today; I'm fine with Lobo posting to that effect on all the above points.

Thanks,
DrZ
Lobo0705
Ok - I've got point 1 covered, up to you guys for the next couple smile.gif

If Grease needs to respond, I can keep his end of the conversation going.
Always Overkill
Been running around like mad today, sorry I haven't gotten to post an IC yet. I am headed over to my Dad's shortly, but I won't be gone long.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 23 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Ok - I've got point 1 covered, up to you guys for the next couple smile.gif

If Grease needs to respond, I can keep his end of the conversation going.

Thanks for covering for me! In the future, I am fine if you want to post process related stuff like this; especially if I'm a roadblock to keeping the story moving.
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Apr 23 2014, 01:39 PM) *
Thanks for covering for me! In the future, I am fine if you want to post process related stuff like this; especially if I'm a roadblock to keeping the story moving.
-DrZ

No problem smile.gif

I've uploaded a floor plan of the Safehouse, and left actually entering to you.

Are you going to check it out astrally or physically before entering?

What is Grease going to do with his car? The BMW stands out a lot in this neighborhood.

In the meantime, I'm going to make some rolls for the various hardware and repair rolls - I'll post them when I'm done.

You guys spoke about taking watches?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 23 2014, 01:13 PM) *
You guys spoke about taking watches?

Jack would offer to pick up a hit of Long Haul at the Stuffer Shack to stand watch while anyone that needs to do something (repair drones, mend flesh, regain Edge, etc) can do it without having to worry about covering a shift. The only downside is that I don't think he can sleep for four days even if he wanted to...

WRT the "safe" house, I would say send a fly-spy in first to check it out, then Jack can go in and clear it.
Jack VII
Do we know what a devil rat looks like by sight, or does that require a knowledge check?
Lobo0705
I would say that any Warrens dweller (i.e. everyone but Grease) will recognize one on sight.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 23 2014, 02:48 PM) *
I would say that any Warrens dweller (i.e. everyone but Grease) will recognize one on sight.

This is why we need a rotodrone with a machine gun attached to it! smile.gif
Jack VII
There is actually a super-easy way to do this using something that's kind of broken in the book, but if no one thinks of it, I'd rather go the rough and tumble way. smile.gif
Chrome Head
What does Amy know about devil rats? How dangerous are they?

I can think of a variety of things that Amy could try, I'm not sure which just yet.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 23 2014, 08:10 PM) *
What does Amy know about devil rats? How dangerous are they?

I can think of a variety of things that Amy could try, I'm not sure which just yet.

Just common knowledge stuff - they are big hairless rats that hunt in packs, and are resistant to most poisons.

While one isn't really dangerous, they can hunt in packs of up to 30 at a time, which can be a real problem.

Chrome Head
Is it realistic to try to lure them away with food, be it illusory or real food?

ETA: Other options I had considered: Beast Spirit to charm them away. Spirit to make them fear. Illusion to get them out somehow. Or just work together to kick their ass, Amy can confuse them or whatever. Invisibility I wouldn't dare try given their other senses. She can also cast detect life on herself or someone else to detect where they may be before turning a corner or whatever.
Always Overkill
Sorry I couldn't check in again last night, got some bad news... frown.gif

I was just going to PM Lobo, but I think we all know each other well enough at this point. My step-mom has stage 4 small cell lung cancer, and has just decided to stop the chemo treatments.

I will keep you updated; things may get hectic around here, and do my best to keep up.
Jack VII
frown.gif Dude, I am really sorry to hear that Overkill. RL takes precedence, don't worry about the game man.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 23 2014, 11:03 PM) *
Beast Spirit to charm them away.

That's the one I was thinking about... per the book, there's not even a test, it just happens. Amy could whip up a low-force spirit of beasts and have it pied piper those mofos out of there.
Lobo0705
Very sorry as well Overkill - don't worry about the game, take care of what you need to in RL.

Check in and post when you want, I'll post for Overkill - no worries.
Chrome Head
Overkill, please do not worry about us, good luck with your family.

@Jack
I was intrigued by your comment and went to read the power in the book. Surprisingly the spirit does indeed automatically control up to (Force) big animals without sapience and can command them. I'm thinking that if the critter can command them and lead them to a new source of food, we'll be set and they probably wouldn't come back before the morning. The spirit will be able to help out on keeping watch as well.

ETA: It just occurred to me that perhaps I never released the beast spirit from before. Isn't he still around, owing a few more services?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 24 2014, 07:43 AM) *
Overkill, please do not worry about us, good luck with your family.

@Jack
I was intrigued by your comment and went to read the power in the book. Surprisingly the spirit does indeed automatically control up to (Force) big animals without sapience and can command them. I'm thinking that if the critter can command them and lead them to a new source of food, we'll be set and they probably wouldn't come back before the morning. The spirit will be able to help out on keeping watch as well.

ETA: It just occurred to me that perhaps I never released the beast spirit from before. Isn't he still around, owing a few more services?

@Chrome,

Yes, I believe you have 2 services left with him (I think you got 3 services originally, and used 1 to have him gather up the various drones).
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 24 2014, 08:53 AM) *
@Chrome,

Yes, I believe you have 2 services left with him (I think you got 3 services originally, and used 1 to have him gather up the various drones).

That sounds right, thanks. So just to confirm, devil rats can be controlled by his animal handling critter power? There might be more than 3 inside the house, so we'll see how things go since that spirit can't control more than 3, but could use them to chase the others!

Have the drones done a complete sweep of the house? Are we confident there's nothing else that we need to be worried about inside?
DrZaius
Overkill: Good luck with your family; sorry to hear the bad news.

Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Apr 24 2014, 09:02 AM) *
That sounds right, thanks. So just to confirm, devil rats can be controlled by his animal handling critter power? There might be more than 3 inside the house, so we'll see how things go since that spirit can't control more than 3, but could use them to chase the others!

Have the drones done a complete sweep of the house? Are we confident there's nothing else that we need to be worried about inside?

Yes - the Animal Control power will work on the devil rats, and the drones have swept the house and these three are the only ones inside.

ETA - you can just post it in IC what you have the spirit and devil rats do - no die rolls are necessary.
Lobo0705
Ok - so, with regards to fixing things.

I'm going to assume that Overkill will spend as much time as necessary fixing his deck.

With regards to fixing the Rotodrone, Grease is going to be rolling 5 dice, and will need to get a total of 12 hits in order to repair the 4 boxes of non-structural damage, and each roll takes 30 minutes. Grease, are you committing to spending several hours fixing it (i.e. should I just keep rolling until you get the 12 hits, or is it something that you don't want to spend too many hours fixing?

And, before we fix the rotodrone, remember that if you don't want it to reveal its position to the rigger who owned it, Overkill needs to change the ownership on it, rolling 13 dice and needing 24 total hits. Just to give you an idea, that means with an average of 4 hits per roll, it will take 6 hours to do so. (your repair test should take about 2-3 hours.

Then Overkill has to fix at least one box of Matrix damage on the drone in order for it to not be bricked (you may want to fix more, depending on how much time it takes - which will vary, based on how many hits he gets.)

Big question is, do you want to rest before or after you fix it? (If you rest after, you will have gotten your Edge back).

Lastly, with regards to making the AK serviceable as a field weapon, that is an Armorer test. You don't have the skill, which means you will default to 2 dice. Overkill is much better, rolling 7 dice as the default, but I'm not sure if you are going to ask him to play around with your stuff.

Finally, bear in mind Grease has about 4 hours til he crashes, and his Logic (which affects his Armorer and Mechanic tests) are reduced to 1.
Jack VII
Something I have a question about... all of these extended tests result in losing a die each time a roll is made. If they get 50% of the work done, can they then wait a day to start again (with a fresh pool), keeping the progress they made previously?

ETA: The steadily declining dice pools are also a concern WRT glitching as well.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Apr 24 2014, 09:44 AM) *
Something I have a question about... all of these extended tests result in losing a die each time a roll is made. If they get 50% of the work done, can they then wait a day to start again (with a fresh pool), keeping the progress they made previously?

ETA: The steadily declining dice pools are also a concern WRT glitching as well.

I don't have a problem with that at all. I'm thinking that an 8 hour break should refresh their pool.
Lobo0705
Ok - so Overkill attempts to fix his deck:

13d6.hits(5)=5

Nice - so 3 of his hits reduce the damage to 0, and the other 2 reduce the amount of time that takes to 15 minutes.

DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Apr 24 2014, 11:00 AM) *
I don't have a problem with that at all. I'm thinking that an 8 hour break should refresh their pool.

Is that really how that's supposed to work? I thought I lost a die on an extended test if I failed it; not necessarily just continuing to make tests (obviously with something that takes 24 hits to beat, it's never going to be done in 1 sitting).

I'm going to work on it until I collapse. If I fail a test after my logic goes down from crashing on novacoke, at that point I'll stop working.

-DrZ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012